• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you for your votes!

Results:

4 Avignon
3 Oman
2 Continue Morocco
2 Hungary
1 Nogai
1 Friesland​

This was a very close election, but the results are clear. Avignon it is, time to start building that Mediterranean superpower then - hopefully.

Last edited:
I hope we can see an Avignon that owns Occitania and hopefully annexes the current Papal States.

Meh, you have to write a Nogai AAR one day or I get sad.

How about changing voting mechanics so that each voter gets as many votes as they have posts here? :rofl:

@tnick0225: And it sure was!

@videonfan: Don't want to give you any spoilers, so who knows what's to come?

@Enewald: There are many more elections to come, and definitely more candidates to follow in that region! Besides, from what I can tell Nogai's still doing well and strong in there.

Anyhow, I just popped in to give you guys a little heads up. The freshers week has just started at my uni so for the next 12 days I'm going to have very little free time in my hands and although I'll probably be able to post an update or two during that time the updates are going to be less regular for now.

However, I just began playing Avignon today and boy, was that fun! I almost finished the whole 20-year period on one sitting (there's couple of years left for now), and loads of stuff happened during that time, not only in the Mediterranean but around the whole world as a whole.

Oh and as a little spoiler; yes, I have survived thus far. ;)

Anyway, I'll try to get back with a proper update as soon as possible!

Dammit missed the voting!

@BBBD316: no worries, many more to come. :)

I - Avignon - First Steps and an Overview

GpeEzST.jpg

So here we are. The year's 1461 and we are sitting on the Mediterranean coast, within the warm bosoms of France. I am lucky that the AI's saved up some ducats for me to spend. Looking around, it is quite obvious that my number one threat and a future nemesis is none other than the infamous BBB. I will most certainly also run into a crash course with either Aragon or Savoy - possibly with both in due time. Northern Italy, however, is where Avignon's future will ultimately lie. It is filled with relatively small states and rich provinces, each of which will greatly boost the power and prowess of a small nation like ours. On the other hand, most of Italy falls under the HRE and will be protected by the Emperor, a title Austria currently holds.

bYCmXeJ.jpg

Speaking of the economy, I am not doing too bad. I have a good, steady income, no inflation, and barely any expenses. Looks like the sale of indulgences has been mildly profitable during this quarter.

HoTaJpA.jpg

It seems the bishop himself is a proper war machine - good. At this point I will refrain from hiring any advisers.

tOk98S6.jpg

His prowess doesn't seem to have translated into good leadership though. My two other generals are quite lousy as well and I immediately fired de Grignan.​

7xosHDl.jpg

Theocracy might not be the best form of government, but it does give you an access to a nice set of national ideas, especially the first in line which grants you an extra 10% to discipline. The AI seems to have unlocked defensive ideas as their first group which is all right, and probably the one I would have gone with as well.

jmFocrw.jpg

As my first mission I choose to build a proper fleet since it was the only sensible one on the list, the others being to conquer a French vassal or improve my relations with someone I forgot.

q1L2qT4.jpg

As my rivals I choose Provence and Milan. I also have a rather good standing with France thanks to the AI's efforts to improve relations. Although France has warned me, their war with England and our good relations will stop them from joining any wars I might start (I had to test this to be on the safe side :D). On the second day into the game Genoa offers me an alliance which I gladly accept.

iHVy3x2.jpg

As you are probably wondering what's going on with Morocco, it seems like the broke their alliance with Granada, which is now united with Castile in a coalition against their former friend. Luckily for them, Morocco still stands by their side against the Christians. But enough of that for now, it is time to get busy.

q24KKrM.jpg

First rule of thumb of a successful enterprise is to have a good bunch of bankers backing your plans, armed with cartloads of cash to lend.

wqMqLtd.jpg

Second one is to build a proper army for our little nation.

o9J7ZC8.jpg

And third, is to pick the right target.​

Last edited:
@Enewald: Well... not really, no.

@Makkovar: Let's hold our horses for now! :p

II - Incursion Into Italy

SXjkjrA.jpg

Needless to say, the Provençal army wasn't really a though nut to crack.

JrE5UHe.jpg

On the other hand, I noticed that Milan happened to have quite a sizeable army which forced me to take a bunch of new loans to be able to recruit enough mercenaries in order to counter them.

NZhxJnb.jpg

I left two regiments to continue the siege in Provence and marched rest of my forces towards Lombardia in hopes of being able to overcome the equally-sized Milanese army. Savoy quickly accepted my request for military access.​

MkUhkSS.jpg

The battle itself was a great success despite the Milanese fighting on a high ground and having a slightly better general to lead them. I began chasing them around Milanese territory and after a couple of battles their army was annihilated. After that I simply set in and began besieging their provinces.​

z1nhCDM.jpg

Theatre of war in 1462. I had to keep taking automatic loans every second month due to constantly running out of money. I can store up to 105 of them before nasty things will happen though.

m34j41o.jpg

Of course, being a theocracy there were more pressing issues to address than war during this period.

bIKohyo.jpg

Back in Iberia, Morocco has decided to sell its inland holdings, with one province going to Granada and the other to Aragon. We also hear of Bohemia going to war with Poland.

ibTNWDG.jpg

With sieges still going on and not much to do other than watching the loans streaming in, I went and upgraded my military tech by a level.

r6TJwsL.jpg

Then, in December 1462, the last of Milanese cities finally succumbs to my forces.

KWdAK0H.jpg

A separate peace was signed with them for the provinces of Parma and Cremona.

G8MfvQ2.jpg

I began marching my troops towards Barrois, the last Provençal holding still under their control, while enacting harsh treatment in Italy and coring my new gains.

wqjFlr9.jpg

The unfortunate side of this conquest was the hefty AE I managed to accumulate, ruining the Avignon-Austrian relationship and making all of the Italian minors quite hostile towards me. I had an intention to try and strike an alliance with Austria after growing large enough to be considered as a viable ally by the Archduchy, but I guess I can scrap those plans for now.

mKVvWsW.jpg

In January 1463 Brittany goes to war with England over the fate of Cornwall, dragging in a bunch of their allies, including my lovely Genoese and Catalan neighbours.

7cM9qTt.jpg

Meanwhile my troops were making themselves comfortable in Barrois. It didn't take long for the fortress to fall.

ZVXXjKP.jpg

And thus a peace was signed.​

Last edited:
Not sure how big of a deal those loans are, but it seems so far like you're screwing Avignon over for when you leave. Hostile neighbours, no money, no alliances.. It's gonna fall apart as soon as it's left to the AI.

Hi! Haven't posted here much, but I just wanted to say that this seems like a great idea for an AAR! I'm happy everyone voted for Avignon, that's what I would have voted too~

I did want to chime in to say that you might want to be more cautious with your AE in this game if you are going to be leaving these countries for the AI to continue. Their smaller nations can easily be overrun by coalitions and/or rebels once they have seen some success, and they don't have quite as good long-term strategies as a human player does to help them out. Just from observing the AI in games, it seems like slow, steady growth works best for them.

Anyway, regardless of what you choose to do, I am interested in reading about it, especially with the short updates from the rest of the world~ ;)

I was going to write something about minding your AE as a courtesy to a likely less capable AI, but seems Jascii beat me to it!

On the other hand, they are going to have a lot more resources than most Avignons when you're done, assuming a catastrophe doesn't strike, so they might be able to hold out.

I'm going to disagree with people and say that I think that fast, early expansion is precisely what you should be doing. That way you have time to deal with the immediate consequences before you pass things off to the AI, rather than leaving them right in the middle of a huge AE and OE nightmare. The later you leave expansion, the more its effects will be lingering when the AI takes over.

rho: You may be right! I am tempted to try a game like this to see how things go both ways. ;)

At the very least, the new patch has really made the AI better at dealing with rebels from what I've seen so far, so the real problem to watch out for may just be AE with your powerful neighbors.

@Enewald: Not quite, no. They still got me in their pocket, but it did alleviate the situation. And a pious banker..?

@Makkovar: That update is only a couple of years into the game so hold your breath a little longer! ;)

@Jascii: Thank you and welcome aboard!

@InvisibleSandwi, rho, Jascii: Don't worry, I have kept AE, revolt risk and reputation in mind throughout the game, and I always try to play in a fashion that leaves the country in a good or powerful state after each period in case athe AI will take over. And I will definitely have to agree with rho on that early aggressive expansion is the key for small nations, especially since I have come to realise that 20 years is actually a ridiculously short period and doesn't leave room for intricate strategies. I believe my mistake with Morocco was that I was playing way too cautiously, leaving them only slightly more powerful than in the beginning, and not powerful enough for the AI to make a success out of it as you will come to see. Besides, for a small country like Avignon that is destined to be attacked by France at some point, the key to survival is to grow strong enough for potential allies to view them as an asset rather than a burden. Especially since 20 or even 40 years is way too short a period to allow them to grow big enough to directly threaten and take on France or any other major power. It will definitely be interesting how 1.2 will affect the future of this game/save.

III - Taking a Little Breath

X2Cx5kc.jpg

First of all my apologies in advance since this might not be that eventful of an update. Things are going to get heated up again very soon but the time between my early burst of expansion and the following chaos that engulfed the world later on was long enough for the need to be covered by an update. Anyhow let's get on with it!

As you can see my economy is actually in a worse state now than before the conquest, but this is all due to possessing a much large army to maintain, having to pay very high interest for my loans and because my recently acquired provinces haven't yet been fully cored.

Mo4BzdJ.jpg

Thanks to the spoils of war I managed to instantly cut down my loans from 35 to 22 (the income shown above is after having repaid said loans).

rWH9mto.jpg

I began fabricating a claim on Brescia, the first in a chain of claims I would launch on my neighbours in Italy.

1oN2rhD.jpg

Soon after, Genoa brakes their alliance with me and joins a coalition that already includes Milan and Mantua.​

hPffLX4.jpg

And on top of that, Austria didn't approve of my expansion either. I naturally declined the Emperor's request.

ttsV1C7.jpg

Armagnac is granted a limited license to sell indulgences and collect alms, which gave me nice tax boost for a while.

5ZxVaMY.jpg

Elsewhere, Granada is engulfed in religious riots and Castile and Austria stroke up an alliance. I believe this is a good thing; if Austria decides to descend upon me or we end up in a war with each other for one reason or another, they can completely stomp over me on their own as it is. However, with Castile on their side they might end up being dragged to silly Iberian wars, possibly weakening my neighbour Aragon a great deal while keeping the Emperor occupied.

fQmcFqk.jpg

In the Balkans, Hungary conquers some minor Bosnian holdings and Montenegro gains their independence as a landlocked country surrounded by Ottoman territory.

P6QWCp0.jpg

God was clearly on our side.

02V3sX4.jpg

I progress in admin tech (yay!) and could now build an embassy if only God would rain gold on me. Provence became legitimate territory of Avignon and loans were cut to 19, raising my income back to a satisfactory level.​

OSAaX7p.jpg

In the east Lithuania is engulfed in a massive rebellion, while Bohemia is ravaging through Poland. Note that Danzig is owned by Denmark, not Poland.​

JTjQZeN.jpg

My diplomat is done with Brescia and I dispatch him on another mission to Lombardia.

6rnjDYX.jpg

In April 1466 Austria grabs a good slice of Switzerland and brakes their alliance with Savoy, while the mighty Ferrara decided to join the coalition against me.

MqNiCz6.jpg

Some cities demanded their old rights back, resulting to no negative effects, since everyone is under absolute freedom as it is in God's Own, Avignon™.

TelGbBE.jpg

In July, Parma and Cremona are cored and the Lomabrd people become an integral part of the future Avignonese Conglomerate. I also finish maxing out my relations with Austria, keeping the sum barely afloat on the positive.

uQkPMa0.jpg

Another claim is set under way, this time against my old Genoese allies, now turned into rivals alongside Venice and Milan.

P0FogCL.jpg

Back in Iberia, Granada becomes the victim of crude Portuguese aggression while incapable of fending off all the zealots in their land. Morocco and Castile are pulled into the war as well, but the situation doesn't look too promising for the Muslim alliance. Meanwhile England is engulfed in War of the Roses while still fighting off the French and Breton invasions.

oITrrlF.jpg

Eastern and Central Europe on 17th of December 1466. Crimea has launched another invasion against Lithuania, while the Teutonic Order declared war on Poland that is still suffering under Bohemian occupation. Austria on the other hand went after Hungary and the Northwestern corner of the HRE is on fire with Cologne fighting an alliance including Trier and Brunswick, and Friesland trying to overcome a large coalition of minor states led by Bremen. Amusingly enough, both wars started by Friesland and Cologne declaring separate wars on Brunswick over the fate of Hannover. Eventually the province was ceded to Cologne not long after this picture, leaving Friesland in a desperate war with nothing to gain.

zzUGWEC.jpg

And the Emperor is done with Hungary. I hope something else will occupy the Austrians soon enough so I may start wreaking havoc in Italy once again.​

Last edited:
@Enewald: I wouldn't really see that as a viable option at this point. North Africa is considered overseas territory, giving tax and manpower penalties, and the berber tradition modifier makes coring +200% more expensive in all of the region. And that's not to mention all the rebels I would have to deal with. All in all, one or two rich Italian provinces provide me with similar additional income and manpower as all of Tunisia, Tripoli and Algiers combined if I were to conquer them.

IV - A Prelude to War

uWBeVgc.jpg

Hey, hands off my Lombardia! For those of you who aren't aware of it, Lombardia is a particularly rich, base tax 14 province just sitting there, waiting to be grabbed by a neighbouring power from one-province Milan. I had a diplomat fabricating a claim on it but Savoy beat me to it.

zFn1N3t.jpg

According to my generals our army is invincible though, so not all is lost yet.

nROtong.jpg

I might still manage to have my claim finished before the siege is done though.

cGIpi8D.jpg

Due to their recent expansion into Switzerland and Hungary the Austrians have managed too accumulate quite a bit of enemies. I have my fingers crossed that some HRE minor goes to war against them, bringing whole of the Empire down their neck and pulling France into the mess with them. This way my two most prominent threats would be done with for a while.

fFwJ6Nk.jpg

After conquering Circassia from Georgia and Tula from Ryazan, the Golden Horde sets their gaze towards Moscow. Meanwhile, the Crimean conquest of Lithuania and the Bohemian-Polish war drag on.

nQQ88SN.jpg

In Iberia, Granada has managed to occupy Toledo, being able to force Spain to peace out as you can see above. The war with Portugal still rages on.

HR9yaYq.jpg

Back in Italy, Savoy suddenly calls off the siege for no apparent reason.

aV4EPis.jpg

Oh, that's why...

Qhf14d8.jpg

Meanwhile, Lithuania is getting seriously hammered, though Crimea itself doesn't seem to have put much effort into their war.

utH3SSn.jpg

My claims on both Lombardia and Liguria finished in September 1468, and I sent one of the diplomats to fabricate another claim in Siena, Tuscany. There's no use to declare war on Milan though, since Savoy dominates the war once more and is besieging their capital.

tKLIchf.jpg

I did manage to pay off my last loan though, and decided it was high time to go to war with my Genoese neighbours, especially since they barely have a standing army, until I remembered...

rl0Eo34.jpg

...that they are protected by the blasted Emperor!

AfiyTK8.jpg

That's a... rather interesting mode of expansion for Crimea. Effective, though - I must grant them that.

M1DChYI.jpg

Since I am stuck with minors protected by an overzealous Emperor, I decided to begin fabricating another claim on Cuneo in Savoy. Meanwhile the silly Savoyards are causing their war to drag on and on. I also increased my military tech to 6, giving me some minor boosts to fighting efficiency. If you are wondering what my armies are doing sitting in Cuneo, that's because my relations with Savoy are not very amiable and I can't afford them to cancel my military access.

0oqmOd6.jpg

And wham! France is unoccupied once again. And they are eyeing their neighbours for potential victims. I hold my breath, hold my breath, and hold my breath...

P5bur3V.jpg

Oh...​

Last edited: