• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Serbia needs to be crushed ASAP so that the forces from that front can reinforce Galicia. Or, if Galicia cannot be held, a phased withdrawal to the Carpathians should stop the Russians... and probably bring Romania into the war, thus opening another front.

Being A-H is hard.

*hops in* NOBODY TOLD ME, but I'm glad I got here early.

Serbia needs to be crushed ASAP so that the forces from that front can reinforce Galicia. Or, if Galicia cannot be held, a phased withdrawal to the Carpathians should stop the Russians... and probably bring Romania into the war, thus opening another front.

Being A-H is hard.

Considering that Kaiser Mobius is taking charge of a multi-ethnic army that since the Augslich, only legitimately fought in the Boxer Rebellion some 20 odd years ago. It is insanely hard...but if he can knock out Serbia early, and hold off the Russians enough to knock out Italy and punch into France, it'd be totally worth it.

Being A-H is hard.

Yes, well the Carpathians are always a good defensive line, which is the border between Romania and A-H.

@Razgriz 2K9: Not sure what Albania would want to be doing in this war, they don't really have anything to fight with. If they were foolish enough to join the war against me I would be more than happy to show them what K.u.K Military Occupation looks like! :happy:

@Asalto: Hopefully its enough. The Russians attacking in force simultaneously is probably my biggest threat, especially when so many of my best divisions are busy trying to flatten the Serb Army.

@Winner: Hehe, it is a bit perilous isn't it? :laugh: Its just all a question of timing, I need to stamp out threats as fast as possible in order to free divisions to fight whatever the Entente can throw at me next.

@Sakura_F: They are a good defensive line...if I have troops to man it. Right now, the border with Romania is bare: if they backstabbed me, I would have next to nothing to stop the pretty powerful Romanian army from advancing into Transylvania.

And welcome aboard.

@everyone else: thanks for the comments! I am sorry that I have not been able to update for a while due to christmas stuff, but I am now done all of that so I will post another update.

With the British entry into the war, Germany orders its small Mediterranean naval squadron, made up of the Battlecruiser Goeben and the light cruiser Breslau, to flee to Istanbul in order to escape pursuit by the British Royal Navy. The ships are then ordered to join the Ottoman Navy, a gift by Germany in order to help bring the Ottoman Empire into the war. Meanwhile, the British threaten to declare war on the Ottoman Empire if they continue to harbour the German ships, but eventually they back down, in order to contemplate other possible options.
efuk.png

yotw.jpg

On land, the K.u.K Army begins to rack up its first wins against the Russian threat. Cavalry units are able to blunt Russian attacks into Galicia, something that is further aided by the arrival of the first German Army divisions into Galicia to shore up the defense. Of further significance are German advances into Poland, aided by the fact that the Russians being bogged down in Galicia has thinned out their lines in Poland.
utph.png

cs77.png

Good news however is not being replicated in Serbia. Despite being vastly outnumbered and outgunned, Serb forces are stubbornly holding their ground against K.u.K forces marching on Sabac and Bor. The Serbs are proving to be a much stronger threat than initially thought, with the General Staff fearful of being bogged down in the mountains of the Balkans, especially with winter not being too far away.
85l6.png

7i50.jpg

As the General Staff is forced to call off the attack on Sabac, word arrives of another major invasion attempt by the Russians. 12 Russian divisions now are advancing into Galicia from the center, aimed at taking Przemysl. K.u.K and German forces take up defensive positions, as the cavalry are ordered to move into the area and blunt this new Russian attack.
7keu.png

While the invasion of Serbia is stalling, the attack on Montenegro, Serbia's little ally, is proving far more successful. Despite very heavy Serb/Montenegrin resistance, the K.u.K Army is able to overrun Montenegro's capital of Cetinje. Austro-Hungarian forces are then ordered to finish Montenegro off, in order to open new fronts against the Serb defenders. Enemy resistance in the mountains is very stiff, but the K.u.K Army is still gaining ground day by day.
g6e2.png

um6t.png

Meanwhile, the Serb army halts another major K.u.K attack, this time centered on Bor. Austro-Hungarian forces take some major losses, while the Germans send a small number of divisions to the area to help with the attack.
4q01.png

Finally, in other news, Germany's invasion of the BeNeLux region is sweeping aside all before it. Luxembourg has surrendered, while the remnants of the Dutch army are under siege in Amsterdam, holding on as long as possible in order to allow the Dutch royal family and government to evacuate to Britain by sea. Further south, French and Belgian forces are slugging it out with the Germans in the center of the front, while German artillery is beginning to fall on the Belgian capital of Brussels. While things look good, delays in the progress of the advance are causing some major concerns for the German high command, who hopes to bring more pressure to bear on the region once the Dutch capitulate.
dfti.png

oh21.jpg

...I...I made a thing...

It's good to see that Serbia is able to throw off the initial A-H attacks, this is entirely historical.

It's good to see that Serbia is able to throw off the initial A-H attacks, this is entirely historical.

Didn't they resist two attacks before succumbing to a third with German support?

Didn't they resist two attacks before succumbing to a third with German support?

Yeah, if I recall, the first Austrian invasion was a terrible blunder and an embarrassment for AH. Eventually it was German and, more crucially, Bulgarian support which sealed Serbia's fate.

Yeah, if I recall, the first Austrian invasion was a terrible blunder and an embarrassment for AH. Eventually it was German and, more crucially, Bulgarian support which sealed Serbia's fate.

Unfortunately, this first Austrian invasion would have to be successful if we have any intention of putting more pressure on the Russians.

A-H in 1914 is one of my favorite setups to play in DH. I've always thought that giving Germany a solid ally to take the brunt of the eastern front should be enough to tip the scales in favor of the Central Powers. Of course, that doesn't seem to bear out as the AI seems to manage to implode Germany half the time, one time even when I'd occupied Petrograd and Moscow. :glare:

The knock out punch to Serbia seems to be the way to go. Holding Galicia until then can be tricky as the terrain beyond the Carpathians is not very defensible without numbers but I hate to retreat behind the mountains unless absolutely necessary. I always find myself tempted to denude the Italian front to speed the conquest of Serbia but you've made the probably wiser, and certainly more realistic, choice to leave to it defended. Anyway, good luck to you Kaiser, I'm sure you'll lead the KuK army to victory!

@Razgriz 2K9: My army is way too slow for such a maneuver. I don't know if its just techs, or doctrines, as well as the terrain, but my troops take a long time to reach their destinations.

@Winner: Good for them I guess, not so much for me!

@VILenin: Thank you!

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

Overseas, Persia is partitioned by Russian and British forces, supposedly for the benefit of each country's respective war efforts. British and Indian forces occupy southern Persia with hesitant approval by the Persian government, later, Russian forces would do the same in the north, occupying some border regions.
pynd.png

Back home, along the Balkan front, the K.u.K army advance into Serbia continues to struggle against very stiff resistance. Another division of Serb troops has arrived to try and bolster the defenses of Belgrade, whose defenders are showing major strain after enduring many days of K.u.K assaults and artillery shelling. Austro-Hungarian forces are heavily exhausted though, resulting in their commanders urging them to just give one last effort to destroy the enemy resistance and take control of the city.
1hm5.png

On the Galician front, the largest Cavalry battle of the war so far takes place, as a major Russian assault attempts to once again push through the centre of the front. K.u.K Cavalry are able to blunt the attack spearheaded by thousands of Russian Cossacks, who are soon forced to call off their attack after major losses.
4qd6.png

To the west, the German advance in the BeNeLux picks up steam again. The German flag rises high over Amsterdam as the remnants of the Dutch Army and government surrender to the Germans. With the Dutch defeated, the Germans swing all their momentum back to the southwest again, marching through central Belgium. Brussels is taken in a quick assault while Entente troops in Namur attempt to hold their positions against a multi-pronged German attack. The enemy still has alot of fight left in them, but for now the initiative is still in the hands of Austria-Hungary's powerful German allies.
lhfp.png

98v0.jpg

Meanwhile, the Russians continue to launch assaults on K.u.K defensive positions in Galicia, hoping to find weaknesses to exploit for breakthroughs. Although the K.u.K Army is outnumbered in this area of the front, they are able to hold their positions relatively easily due to good defensive terrain and a lack of directions the Russians can use to advance from. The General Staff therefore is unworried over this latest attack.
18r0.png

Then more news arrives from the Balkan front, this time, very good news! After enduring a major protracted siege, Belgrade, the Serbian capital, has fallen to the K.u.K Army. Enemy forces scatter to try and set up new defensive lines to the south, as the city is secured by Austro-Hungarian troops. Also note that several German divisions have arrived on the Balkan front now, hoping to ensure that further advances are accelerated. Something of concern however is the discovery that Italy is starting to try to sabotage Austro-Hungarian war production.
ufgg.png

Another major breakthrough is made very soon after Belgrade is taken. Montenegro, with its army on the run and the entire country under Austro-Hungarian occupation, surrenders. Montenegrin troops throw down their weapons and surrender, leaving the Serbs to fight on in the region alone. Furthermore, taking the small country has cut Serbia off from possible supplies and reinforcements that could have arrived from the other Entente powers. The campaign in the Balkans is far from being over, but after some very heavy fighting the Austro-Hungarian Empire now has the full advantage!
obl0.png

ri9z.png

Please, accept my gratulations in occasion of conquest of Belgrade and anexation of Montenegro. :)

This. Now I dunno how pluasible it is, but depending on if there are no other issues, I think you might be able to reinforce the Serbian front or at least try and force them into a Bulge.

Very nice! With the fall of Belgrade it's doubtful that Serbia will be able to hold out much longer. Just don't let them pile all of their army in some blasted mountain province with the temporary capital!

Interesting to see Germany go for the attack on the Netherlands, I don't see them take that option very often. But it seems like they handled it easily enough. Your forces in Galicia seem to be holding as well so, all in all, it seems like a good start for the Central Powers.

They might evacuate through Albania (they did it 3/3 games last few times I've played the 1914 scenario).