• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wise move by protecting yourself against the ''potential'' Italian backstab.

Can't believe I nearly missed another vintage Kaiser Mobius AAR.

I also agree with Asalto on the Italian backstab bit, but how many more soldiers can you make with your IC, considering that no amount of weight you have on the Russian border is going to protect you from the flood of Russian troops coming in...

Can't believe I nearly missed another vintage Kaiser Mobius AAR.

I also agree with Asalto on the Italian backstab bit, but how many more soldiers can you make with your IC, considering that no amount of weight you have on the Russian border is going to protect you from the flood of Russian troops coming in...

Provided nothing goes wrong, he only has to hold the Russians off until the Germans get their act together - the main focus will be on taking out Serbia quickly and then helping the Germans at whereever until Italy comes knocking, asking to get its teeth punched in.

At least that's the ideal case. Breaking through the Alps may be expensive in terms of manpower, so perhaps helping Germany break the French and Russians once the Serbs are out of the picture is more important.

Provided nothing goes wrong, he only has to hold the Russians off until the Germans get their act together - the main focus will be on taking out Serbia quickly and then helping the Germans at whereever until Italy comes knocking, asking to get its teeth punched in.

At least that's the ideal case. Breaking through the Alps may be expensive in terms of manpower, so perhaps helping Germany break the French and Russians once the Serbs are out of the picture is more important.

Not to mention Montenegro...

In my recent playthrough as A-H, Russia wasn't actually that bad. They never made it more than 1 province deep into my territory, although I must add that the Germans were also quite competent.

Watch out for one thing, though. When/if you invade through Italy, make sure not to capture enough provinces to trigger a peace with them before you break through into French territory - else Italy will go neutral, your troops will be teleported back to Vienna and you'll lose a front. (Since Belgium remained neutral in that game, I had to move my troops to the Belgian border, declare war manually and then help the Germans push through Belgium to resolve the war after Russia capitulated.)

@Asalto: Yes....potential.

@Razgriz 2K9: Not that much. I am hoping that conquering Serbia (and possibly Romania as well) will give me a larger IC boost for more war production. I have something like 95 base IC, but that can't do all that much with it other than make a few more infantry divisions at a time. I will very badly need more if things start going out of control...

@Julius Clonkus: We shall see. I will try to assess which fronts need the most help, and deploy reinforcements as soon as possible if needed. My main priorities are however the Serbs, then holding off the Russians till their army loses momentum, then kicking the Italians in the face if/when they stab me in the back. If Italy joins the war, they are going to become my number one priority.

@Battle bunny: That actually sounds like a good thing. :happy: If that happens, the Austrian heartland is safe, and I will be better able to concentrate forces in other areas that are badly needed!

@everyone: thanks for the comments!

Zero hour has arrived. In the face of Serbia's actions regarding the assassination of the Archduke, the Austro-Hungarian Empire is given no other choice but to declare war. This is despite threats from Russia that they will intervene on behalf of their Serb allies in the event of an Austro-Hungarian invasion, but the empire proceeds irregardless of the danger.
4zft.png

Austria-Hungary is now at war. Mobilization plans are carried out as reservists are called up to active duty. Hundreds of thousands of soldiers are equipped, organized, and sent to join their divisions in preparation for real combat.
9tix.png

8260.png

Russia now makes good on its threats. As soon as word of the Austro-Hungarian attack on Serbia reaches St.Petersburg, the Tzar and his government declare war on Austria-Hungary. Little Montenegro also joins the war to help defend their Serb allies, while Greece opts for neutrality. Meanwhile, German officials are in a panic. War between Austria-Hungary and Russia is now forcing Germany to activate its war plans and defense agreements with Austria-Hungary, failure of which might result in Germany becoming alone and surrounded by fully mobilized hostile powers on all sides of its territory.
r7o4.png

av5d.jpg

Germany now threatens Russia to back down or face war with the German Empire as well as Austria-Hungary. The Russians ignore the German threat, and continue general mobilization. Germany also begins rapid talks with the Ottoman Empire, which enters into a secret defensive pact with Germany, largely committing it to war on Germany's side.
j2fi.png

With Russia refusing to back down, and word arriving to Berlin of France beginning to mobilize its troops for conflict, the window to possibly end the conflict through diplomacy slams shut. Germany declares war on Russia and invokes its alliance agreements with Austria-Hungary, making Berlin and Vienna allies in this war. Germany's declaration of war against Russia results in Franco-Russian defense agreements activating, dragging France into the war on Russia's side. In response, Germany activates an expanded version of its Schiefflen Plan war strategy, invading Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands in order to march through the wide open territories of Northern France towards Paris. German troops and artillery pound into the country's western borders, turning what was originally an Eastern European conflict into one that affects the vast majority of Europe.
hyz1.png

lpo0.jpg

The Great War has begun. Austria-Hungary is now ready to fight for its very survival in the face of great odds, in order to avenge the death of the Archduke and destroy the Serbian threat to the empire once and for all! Together, with its German allies, Austria-Hungary will crush all that oppose the Central Powers, and restore peace and security to the Dual Monarchy! Onwards, shoulder to shoulder, towards victory!
hj80.jpg

Wait, Austria-Hungary wanted to annex Serbia historically? Can I get some confirmation on that? O_O

I can't find any relevant material about that right now, but there were some plans to anex most of Serbia into dual monarchy. The Hungarian kingdom would actually get the biggest chunk, including Belgrade. Altough I doubt this would succed even in case of Central Powers winning the war because already big Slavic population of Danubian empire would swell to extent that would allow Slavic takeover of monarchy in not so far future (it's not coincidence that Austro-Slavists actually supported imperial expansion for this reason, prior anexation of Bosnia was warmly greeted by them for example). Considering that, it would be more realistic option to have Serbia weakened and puppeted by victorious Habsburg monarchy after the war, altough anexation could still be an option as well, of course under condition of Vienna and Budapest being able to continue playing good divide and conquer cards.

Uuuuh, an expanded Schlieffen plan, this is going to get nasty (poor Dutch).

Interesting to see the Germans going for the expanded Schlieffen Plan. I hope it won't prevent them from helping you with the Russians and the Serbs. Although I hope that you'll break the Belgrade terrorists quicker than the AH empire did in OTL.

As far as I know, the biggest option for Austria-Hungary was to eventually annex Montenegro and former Sanjak of Novi Pazar- remnant of Serbia would rather be placed under some "friendly" royal house.

I think the claims on Serbia are merely done to ensure that you retain possession of it until after the war, when it will be decided what to do with it.

I dunno, if that were the case, they would not have made the claims in the first place.

No, I mean, in game terms - if, say, the Germans would send you some divisions to help out in the Balkans, and one of them happened to arrive first in a Serbian province, it would become a German island in an Austrian sea. However, due to the Austrian claims, those provinces will be under Austrian occupation, even if it is an ally taking them. Note the lack of claims on Macedonia, the area with Bulgarian cores!

No, I mean, in game terms - if, say, the Germans would send you some divisions to help out in the Balkans, and one of them happened to arrive first in a Serbian province, it would become a German island in an Austrian sea. However, due to the Austrian claims, those provinces will be under Austrian occupation, even if it is an ally taking them. Note the lack of claims on Macedonia, the area with Bulgarian cores!

I still doubt it, but we will see when this war is over.

@Razgriz 2K9: I am pretty sure they didn't want to annex them, but I do not really know all that much about exactly what A-H's WW1 war aims were to be honest.

@Winner: Yeah, no kidding. I think if we end up losing the war, the Kaiser better look to Denmark, or Switzerland, or maybe Sweden to go into exile!

@Milites: So far actually it seems to have been a major help, the Germans made very decent progress as you will see in the future.

@GulMacet: Thats what I am thinking as well.

@everyone else: Thanks for the comments!

With war declared, the country goes into a full wartime footing. The people of the country are encouraged to buy bonds in order to help the government pay for the huge costs associated with the war effort, while a propaganda campaign is implemented to rally the people around the flag and encourage them to join the K.u.K Army and Kriegsmarine, and fight for their country's victory.
p3sd.png

2h0w.png

August 1st, 1914. In one massive hammer stroke, the K.u.K Army crosses the southern frontier and invades Serbia, meeting very heavy resistance all along the front. Although local generals had wanted some more time to organize their forces for the attack, the General Staff back in Vienna wanted to launch the attack as soon as possible, in order to keep the Serb's from fortifying their positions too heavily and make the advance too difficult.
zi54.png

Serb and Montenegrin resistance is ferocious. Despite being vastly outnumbered and outgunned, the enemy fights for every square inch, using very well prepared positions in the mountains to hold back attacks by the K.u.K Army's forces. Major fighting is also taking place in the Serb capital of Belgrade, where only 2 enemy divisions are attempting to hold off over 3 times their number of Austro-Hungarian troops, and stubbornly holding their ground in the streets of the city. Montenegro is also fighting for its survival in its own capital of Cetinje, a fight that is going much better for the K.u.K army.
ygik.png

2atl.png

wcoq.jpg

The British are now beginning to inch closer and closer to war against the Central Powers. Britain begins seizing control of warships in its shipyards that were being constructed for other countries, including two battleships which were being built for the Ottoman Empire's navy. This greatly angers the Ottomans, who look more and more like they are going to join the Central Power's side in this conflict.
4s2t.png

The economy of Austria-Hungary is now being geared towards nothing but military production. Multiple divisions of infantry, as well as heavy artillery brigades to reinforce them, are now undergoing training. Divisions of irregular Landwehr troops are also being raised and equipped, to be used to fill gaps in the country's defenses as well as to hold down occupied enemy territory.
di2v.png

As the K.u.K offensive into Serbia and Montenegro gets underway, alarming reports arrive to the General Staff in Vienna of a massive threat emerging in Galicia. Almost simultaneously, 3 Russian field armies have launched a large scale attack on the entire Galician region, targeting Perzymysl, Tarnopol, and Tarnow in one fell swoop. in response to the Russian army's attack, 11 divisions worth of K.u.K Army Cavalry, which have been held back in reserve for just such an occasion, are ordered to begin shoring up the defenses in one area at a time, hoping to blunt each attack one by one before the Russians can achieve any kind of major breakthrough.
0twt.png

pyj1.png

6dwk.png

kfzo.jpg

Finally, as the German Army begins to sweep into the BeNeLux region, Britain finally chooses a side. The British join the Entente powers, and are now at war with both Germany and Austria-Hungary. Britain's mighty Royal Navy is now beginning to set sail, while Britain begins to recruit new soldiers into its still relatively small but highly professional army.
hvqv.png

So it begins...

If my history is accurate, take down those pesky Serbs right away, I'm pretty sure those same troops will be used for ze classic "Romanian backstab."

Will Albania be taking part, or will Austria be just occupying?

That Russian pressure on Galicia is scary...I really hope those K.u.K. cavalry reserves will be sufficient reinforcements for defenders to hold on.

Hopefully the Ottoman entry will diverge some Russian forces away from the Galician theatre. Here's to hoping that the Austro-Hungarian troops manage to break Serbia at least before Romania attempts to backstap you.