• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
-To King Aegon, King of the Andals, of the First Men and of the Rhoynar, his Sixth Name.
Oberyn placed the crown on the King's head. Everyone in the room knelt.
Aegon gaining the Targaryens ancestral crown will certainly improve his legitimacy, I do agree that if Aegon wishes to win this war he will need to act fast however, it will take the Northerners time to reach the war zone but if the Riverlanders and Northmen join up then Aegon will find it hard pressed to defeat them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Baratheons seem to be supporting Aegon, but I fear that might prove temporary...

Dorne's allegiance was always decided. Still, the Martells will regret that if they are defeated, and I imagine that they still have internal enemies. Of course, even if Dorne falls, Aegon might regroup in the Stormlands.

The best course of action is probably taking Dragonstone and making Aegon and Rhaenys prisoners...

If the Iron Bank thinks that Aegon and Rhaenys are bankrupt, it won't support them. Those bankers need a guarantee of return to support a side.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I still want to see the day Dorne turns his back on the Targaryens.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Aegon gaining the Targaryens ancestral crown will certainly improve his legitimacy, I do agree that if Aegon wishes to win this war he will need to act fast however, it will take the Northerners time to reach the war zone but if the Riverlanders and Northmen join up then Aegon will find it hard pressed to defeat them.

No doubt. Aemon has the geographical advantage and Aegon can't afford to waste time.

The Baratheons seem to be supporting Aegon, but I fear that might prove temporary...

Dorne's allegiance was always decided. Still, the Martells will regret that if they are defeated, and I imagine that they still have internal enemies. Of course, even if Dorne falls, Aegon might regroup in the Stormlands.

The best course of action is probably taking Dragonstone and making Aegon and Rhaenys prisoners...

If the Iron Bank thinks that Aegon and Rhaenys are bankrupt, it won't support them. Those bankers need a guarantee of return to support a side.

Taking Dragonstone should be Aemon's main objective, but for that he'll need ships.

The Iron Bank works in mysterious ways, we all know haha.

I still want to see the day Dorne turns his back on the Targaryens.

Martells and Targaryens: From Enemies to Best Friends in 100 Years.

CHAPTER VIII
The Phoney War

When war was declared, it was expected to resolve itself in a matter of weeks. Either Aegon would charge at King's Landing, or Aemon's forces would surround Dragonstone before his brother could react.

None of this happened, for several reasons. Both sides lacked the material needed for such daring incursions, their allies were still mobilizing men, and the loyalty of several lords was still uncertain.

Hence, the maesters called this early period of the conflict "The Phoney War" or "The Crows War", as it is characterized by limited skirmishes and both sides seeking support across the Kingdom.

At the suggestion of his uncle, Oberyn Martell, Aegon personally went to The Stormlands. Monford Velaryon had ensured that his fleet would prevent any attack by Aemon's men, and that he could protect Dragonstone. So Queen Rhaenys and Princes Aenys and Naerys remained on the island, along with Monford, Princess Arianne Martell, and Lord Celtigar, who was charged with looking after the castle in the King's absence. Still, the Maester was instructed to send more ravens to Westeros, as the days passed and no answers came.

In his retinue to Storm's End, the King took his uncle, Orys Velaryon, heir to Driftmark, and Aegon's squire, the Dornish Maester Conel, Jacelyn Bywater, a member of the Kingsguard who was at Dragonstone when Aemon was crowned and who remained loyal, as well as other lesser lords like the Sunglass, Bar Emmon, and Darkhome.

The fleet passed without difficulty through Stonedance and Tarth, finally landing at Storm's End. When the ships sighted the harbor, there was an army waiting for them. Stannis had received the raven of Aegon's request for a meeting, and he had sent men to greet them… They just didn't know if the reception would be warm or not.

Who commanded the army was an old man, thin, with an unmistakable characteristic: he did not have the fingers of one hand. In his youth he was a thief, but for his services in the rebellion he was rewarded by him with lands and titles... in exchange for his fingers. Now he was Stannis Baratheon's castellan and most loyal vassal.

Davos.png

Accompanied by his only son, Matthos, he saluted King Aegon.

- My lord wants to see you, Your Grace, and my lady too. I'm Davos Seaworth, the Onion Knight, and I'm here to accompany you.

- And if you don't mind, Knight of Onions, where is your Lord? - Asked Oberyn.

- It's in the castle, my lord. We must start moving immediately.

The King's entourage barely had time to breathe. Davos gave some horses to all the nobles and they set off for the castle. In a few hours they were at the castle. When the gates opened, Princess Elia was there to welcome. But not Stannis. Elia and Oberyn were close, and she hugged him warmly when she saw him. When she saw her son, Elia gave him a big emotional hug.

- Let's go inside, gentlemen. - She said - Lord Stannis awaits them.

Elia.png

They were guided to the room at Storm's End. A feast had been prepared to receive them. The knights were given tables in the center, while Aegon and Oberyn were placed at the head table. Stannis wasn't much for parties, but Elia insisted on a reception for his son, and he nodded. The maids brought 11-year-old Steffon to meet his brother.

"This is the future of the Stormlands and the realm," Elia said. "He will be your most loyal man when the time comes," she assured Aegon.

- It will be. - Aegon replied - And he will be loyal to me and my children.

Finally, Stannis Baratheon arrived. He greeted his wife, Aegon, and all the knights.

- Serve the feast! - Ordered Elia for the servants - Wine, Your Majesty?

- Call me Aegon, please. You are my mother.

- That's why I'll call you what you want. - Elia laughed. - Have some wine. Serve Lord Stannis too, please.

Stannis was a serious and somewhat closed man. Aegon tried to find an opening to talk to him, but he couldn't. Stannis finally broke the ice.

- Tell me, Prince Aegon - He said coldly as bards entertained the knights - Why should I send my men to die for you?

Aegon was prepared for that.

- For you are an honorable man, Lord Stannis. My father never disowned me and Aemon usurped the throne. Would you accept silently if a brother of yours tried to do the same to you? I wouldn't want to start a war, my lord, but I have no choice. I never asked to be King, but it's my duty. We do not choose our destiny, but we must do our duty. Big or small, this is our duty, don't you agree?

"I don't think you can deny that, my lord," Davos Seaworth said.

Stannis just listened. Then he asked all men to leave the hall except the storm lords.

- My lords - he said - Many may have forgotten, including me. But the kingdom must come above our desires and rights. We must do our duty to him. Aegon is the rightful king of Westeros, and we will not rest until we do our duty to place him on the throne! All true Stormmen will now swear their allegiance to him.

All of Stannis' vassals knelt. Stannis himself knelt. Elia and Steffon too.

- The usurpers will taste our swords! - Said Lord Grandison, who had lost a son in King's Landing.

- Hail Aegon, sixth of his name! - The Lords shouted - Long live Aegon!

Stannis.png

"Stand up," Aegon told them. - I won't let you down, gentlemen. For your loyalty, which has never been in doubt, I appoint your overlord, Lord Stannis Baratheon, as my Hand of the King!

- Majesty - Stannis said - We can't waste time. We must start our plans as soon as possible.

That night might have been one of cheer and optimism for Aegon's loyalists, but it would not last long, as the next days an alarmed raven from Monford Velaryon would arrive at Storm's End...

In the capital, things changed quickly. When news broke that The Stormlands had declared itself to his brother, King Aemon was outraged at the Hand, Qarlton Chelsted.

- Your grace, Stannis is married to Elia Martell. There is little we can do to bring him to our side...

- But he could have brought any lord displeased with him to us, I'm sure!

- Son - Queen Lyanna said calmly - The Baratheon were a difficult task. We have the Tullys and Robb's army will soon be ready. We need to focus on other possible allies.

As soon as that council ended, Aemon called Chelsted to the Throne Room.

- Sir - Said the King - I appreciate your service as Hand, but I believe the time has come for changes.

- Your Majesty?!

- You can go back to being Coin Master, or go back to your lands. I will pay you a good reward for your time in the capital, but I have a new hand, which I believe is more suited to these times. - Said Aemon.

- But I served the Kingdom in a way...

- Admirable - Queen Visenya, sitting next to her husband said - But the time for changes has come. We are at war, unfortunately.

- And who is the new Hand? - Asked Chelsted.

- The King has decided that our cousin Robb is the best fit for the Hand, Lord Chelsted. - Visenya spoke calmly - But you will be well rewarded, my lord. The king will pay him in gold and promises to arrange a marriage for his grandson to one of the great houses of the kingdom.

Chelsted was known as an honorable man, and he renounced it when it went against his beliefs. He could have reacted at this point, but he didn't. He accepted the reward and the promised marriage to his grandson.

A few days later, the two queens had an argument, before a meeting of the Small Council.

- My children are in danger, mother! - Queen Visenya was outraged. - You must get Haegon and Laena out of King's Landing as soon as possible! Send them to Riverrun or Winterfell, I beg you!

- Aegon will not take this city, dear. - Lyanna assured. - Your children are safe here. They need to keep going to show that our family is together.

- And when all this is over. What will become of Rhaenys and Aegon? And the kids? Will you spare them or will you cut off their heads?

- This is under the jurisdiction of your husband, Visenya. I can't interfere with that. But they are traitors.

- I know you and Rhaenys don't like each other. But when this is over, don't do anything to her, I beg you! I know Aegon is a traitor, but she is my sister and I would hate for anything to happen to her!

Lyanna went on to say that she couldn't guarantee anything, and the discussion only ended when the Dowager Queen was called to a meeting of the Small Council. But this dispute of the two queens would matter in the future...

At the Small Council, Aemon's new hand was excited.

- Aunt, we have great news!

- Aegon should surrender now. - Said Prince Viserys - He's finished.

- What happened? - Asked Lyanna.

- Our seeds are finally bearing fruit, aunt. -Robb said excitedly-Willas Tyrell may be a coward who doesn't want to put his men at the king's disposal, but his vassals have proved more loyal! And we have the most important ones!

Lyanna looked surprised. Aegon may have won the loyalty of Storm's End, but his son won other significant prizes. The first to speak out for Aemon was Lord Oakheart, whose family had a historical rivalry with the Dornish House of Wyl. They would never fight on Dorne's side, and he secured their swords for King Aemon. The second
was Lord Tumbleton. After him, the Florents, Varners and Rowans also assured that they would fight for Aemon.

LoyalsAemon.png

But the most important supports were not these. Aemon's council was ecstatic when Baelor Hightower decided to declare his loyalty. Of course, no gold was spared to convince him, but Oldtown's swords were too many to be underestimated.

The most important support, however, came from The Arbor. Horas Redwyne was close to Robb Stark and had an unusual disdain for Aegon and the Dornishmen. Deciding that Aemon was the best fit for the throne, he would be one of the Wolves' most loyal men in the War. And his entry into the war put Monford Velaryon's supremacy on the seas in check. He had about 110 ships, against 60 of the Velaryons.

Oldtownarbor.png

So when this news reached Dragonstone, he wasted no time in communicating Aegon.

"You must get your family out of here as soon as possible, Your Majesty," Velaryon wrote.

Aegon's War Council consisted of his hand, Stannis, Davos Seaworth, Oberyn Martell, Princess Elia, and other lesser lords.

- These traitors must be hanged as soon as possible, Your Majesty! Oberyn yelled angrily.

"You must get the queen and her children out of Dragonstone immediately, your grace," Davos pointed out. - Follow Lord Monford's advice.

- Davos is right. - Said Elia - Rhaenys and the children must be brought to Storm's End as soon as possible. Oberyn, cannot our brother add ships to Lord Velaryon's fleet?

- I think so, Elia. But the Wolves can unite King's Landing's fleet with the Redwyne as well, and they will still have the upper hand.

- Anyway - The King spoke calmly - Redwyne will have to cross the continent to reach Dragonstone. We have time if the worst happens. I want my family in Storm's End as soon as possible... Orys, tell your father to prepare them. My cousin Arianne must be evacuated too. And say that Lord Celtigar must defend the castle even if it costs him his life. Am I clear?

- Yes, Your Majesty! - Aegon handed the letter to the squire and he went as fast as possible to the docks to deliver it.

- Do we have any good news? - Asked the King.

- Majesty - Said Lord Guncer Sunglass - Justin Massey, Roger Ryger and Lucifer Crabb proved to be loyal men. They declared themselves in favor of your grace... But we received no further support...

LuciferCrabb.png

JustinMassey.png

RogerRyger.png

"Only the Hightowers have more men than all three of them put together..." said Lord Swann. - We need to be quick. If we attack now...

- We will certainly be repelled - Stannis said - We can only attack King's Landing frontally, for we have no access to Reach. And attacking via sea is very risky. Your Majesty, I have a better plan, if I may.

- You are the Hand of the King, Lord Stannis. I trust you.

- The first battle of this war will not be fought in King's Landing or Dragonstone. And it won't be with swords.

- And where would it be? - the King questioned.

- In the Twins. - Said Stannis - If Lord Edwyn Frey supports us, the cause of the usurpers will be doomed. Robb Stark needs to get his armies through there. And if they don't, they'll only have Edmure Tully's men and the Reach traitors to defend King's Landing. With my men and Dornish spears, we could attack King's Landing and take it quickly.

- Edwyn Frey is not an easy man, however... - Said Oberyn - He will certainly want counterparts.

EdwynFrey.png

- Which we must offer - Princess Elia said - If we stop Stark's men from joining the Tullys, we will have a tremendous advantage.

- Right. - Said the King - I need a credible envoy to talk to the Freys.

- I know some of them - said Prince Oberyn - I can have some opening with them.

- Right. - The King replied calmly. - Take The Onion Knight with you. It has proven to be extremely important to us.

Aemon's men had the same idea, and they desperately wanted to secure the Twins' loyalty. Robb had sent his mother, Catelyn Tully, to negotiate with them. In the end, the first battle of the War was not fought with swords, but with words...and for the loyalty of House Frey.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Robb has come quite a ways, from exile to Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North to Hand of the King. Thats certainly good news for Aemon with the fealty of those strong Reach lords, especially the Hightowers, in my game they command near 15,000 men and are almsot little lord paramounts themselves.

I wonder if this means that there will be a Red Wedding equivalent...

It's interesting that Stannis is in favor of Aegon. The appeal to duty was a good call.

Will Aemon's cause fall into civil war between Visenya and Lyanna's supporters?

It would seem that dragons are dancing all over the forum these days! Very interesting timeline you have here. To have the Throne itself depending on something that might very well not even exist, what a beautiful irony.