• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, that was definitely unexpected! I've never seen a Kingsguard move court while still having a KG trait before. How did that happen? And how did he managed to get married as well? What a glorious mess, I love it!
And that potential Starkarryn definitely won't bite Aegon in the rear, because of course not, surely XD

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that was definitely unexpected! I've never seen a Kingsguard move court while still having a KG trait before. How did that happen? And how did he managed to get married as well? What a glorious mess, I love it!
And that potential Starkarryn definitely won't bite Aegon in the rear, because of course not, surely XD
I played a 10 year ''test run'' before I began the AAR and I encountered it there as well, it seems to be a bug where when appointing someone to the Kingsguard doesnt make them come to the White Sword Tower, instead remaining at their court, despite having the Kingsguard trait. As far as I can tell they then follow their father court to court, so when Willem Manderly ran off, Warrick went with him, which while a little weird made for a good story.

In terms of his wife she died before he was appointed.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I played a 10 year ''test run'' before I began the AAR and I encountered it there as well, it seems to be a bug where when appointing someone to the Kingsguard doesnt make them come to the White Sword Tower, instead remaining at their court, despite having the Kingsguard trait. As far as I can tell they then follow their father court to court, so when Willem Manderly ran off, Warrick went with him, which while a little weird made for a good story.

In terms of his wife she died before he was appointed.
That explains a lot! I haven't played as Aegon that much and when I did, I've never actually paid enough attention to the Kingsguard and their actual residence, so maybe I just missed this bug then. Will definitely keep my eye on it next time I go for the original three heads of the dragon playthrough!
It definitely is a good story trigger. Will we see more of Warrick at some point? Hope that poor man would be able to have some crumb of redemption.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That explains a lot! I haven't played as Aegon that much and when I did, I've never actually paid enough attention to the Kingsguard and their actual residence, so maybe I just missed this bug then. Will definitely keep my eye on it next time I go for the original three heads of the dragon playthrough!
It definitely is a good story trigger. Will we see more of Warrick at some point? Hope that poor man would be able to have some crumb of redemption.
I agree its a great story trigger, though from now on I will save when I appoint a new Kingsguard to avoid it as I would prefer members of the Kingsguard to actually be present. In terms of Warrick there is a strong chance he will appear in some in some manner in a future chapter, though thats not guaranteed. What I will say is House Manderly is not done being involved and will play an important role in the chapter following this one.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 5: The Bells of Norvos (Aegon/Visenya)
2nd Moon, 8000
Longhall of the Aegonfort

The halls of the Aegonfort were alive with music and laughter, though not all were enjoying the festivities, King Aegon among them. His mind was far away from the present feast, dwelling instead on the multiple problems the realms faced.

It had been nearly three months since he received word from White Harbor of the flight of Lord Willem and his Kingsguard son Ser Warrick Manderly’s desertion, along with the massacre of the 50 men he sent to take Willem into custody.

Aegon had been resolved to ride on Balerion to White Harbor and bring those involved to justice, but Rhaenys had warned him a gentle touch was needed, and any punishment to be placed upon the Manderlys should come from his Warden of the North, Torrhen Stark.

Torhren Starks punishment had been delivered swiftly. Damon Manderly and his teenage son Garth had been away on Lord Willem Manderlys orders, so once Lord Stark heard of the news, it was a simple enough matter to have Damon seized away from his court. Damon was then brought to Winterfell to stand trial where it quickly became clear he was not aware of his fathers plan, though his family would still be punished.

gbGlRxfulMqryvs8jlxw0umNlQd_doyejxTpDg3UfqdkkvpAwng_ost03FIVNPRVHF85aQILUrAjp4PAqbOla9_lJDtKTNEPoxeYDLHmiTXAHDIj2pwD5HIMYFnHd8yxdtC6hzWF

Damon Manderly was stripped of the title of Protector of White Harbors surrounding lands, and while still retaining the influence of a High Lord and the City of White Harbor itself, he lost the vassalship of Houses Wells, Slate and Holt, with Lord Warrick Wells gaining the title. This was an expensive punishment for House Manderly as they would lose overlordship of over 3000 fighting men, the castles of Fordswatch, White Creek Castle and Fordswatch, as well as the villages of Chalkchilds Seat, Whitford Town, and Coldhouse.

qCMVxatLCrS5src79u7fV0qsgNLvMUIfuHSMoPRwKnERbUMO5zfGA8GuowTjHy1PgHrTMDD_5W6Z0cTZ1hh5FI3CN0QmMhfbCIN4xXK9U7_k3alEspVv6n3amcvxZbe5ZWuCDxvU

Oh-8tD3qacViRxtvUsah-6HYvF9LDeaDY9tsmJcSeWpkvMPWNS0Df2jE0sZ9c7ydUWUyIE_gdnjAVWD3Ib-gazR7FoH-eE52QiW640fKpMW99OcfwTMFWSkOSLx6jPOc9e-2cilp

In addition to these significant losses, Lord Damon Manderly would send his son Garth to Winterfell, to be fostered by Torrhen Stark, though all involved knew he would serve as a hostage to ensure the Manderlys good behavior.

CFXagwBCg0oQKscMRJlHoD_8EasDWXw0xuCUTWjMRv_VD6cBGPgKmW-bLaiQqAu9qS0QpjMiUL58lwfxBuR0qGhVAmhf7Z-5PbifG1ZUK5e_YyYunAwl6KScLclQbJs4eweUn2sm

With the matters settled in White Harbor itself, it would fall to the King to decide how to proceed with Willem and Warrick Manderly.

Rhaenys had suggested appointing another Kingsguard, but Aegon had refused stating ‘’A Kingsguard serves for life and only death may free them of their vow.’’ Ser Warricks place in the Kingsguard would remain vacant until he met his end.

In that regard, Aegon ordered Lord Alyn Chyttering to make preparations to have Ser Warrick Manderly killed in Volantis, where the most recent reports placed him and his father. Aegon was not a man that would normally resort to murder, but he felt it was justified to hold the rogue Kingsguard accountable for his broken oath. One he was dealt with, Aegon would make plans for his father.

zRVHvW92xekQTRYqFEuq3LqtAY7taeQxNN90ZmGRhCl1nsWxSnni-1MoByFAOw8dLgBOM0kcCCxJXHPLU0kz1TZbhnKdgXVi-gaRAebZSOiyuSpRR24Hvg_mv8UEUbQreMlKWx3U

Aegon had not had long to dwell on this issue as other matters plagued the Kingdoms. A pox, originating in Dorne had quickly spread through the Reach and Stormlands and had been spread by ship to the port city of Duskendale, thus far Kings Landing had been spared of the disease but there had been an influx of refugees straining the cities already inadequate infrastructure as well as the Gold Cloaks, who struggled to make sure they were not letting those with the pox inside the city.

hYGKjJ7JmlARKAUx3ZRMg8LBFlzLbXWRxBUL1Ys4Dua3crvgYIilK5zOsb1onIKlQEN-Dfx1Qn9TJXRyMMoYaoMOsRey-0n9MP8_-mQ_Qy5mSLotx1DDOmFl3Ul5GFQuA2UpmQqR

A final matter which threatened the stability of the Kingdoms was the outbreak of violence in the Iron Islands. Sigrin Harlaw, a young powerful lord who had been present at the Dragons Moot the prior year, had attacked the neighboring Orkmont clan to capture the eastern half of their island.

The young lord had gotten himself killed in the conflict, though his brother Romny continued the fight, with the Harlaws expected to win the conflict despite Sigrins untimely death. To further this instability, old Victarion Botley of Lordsport, one of the traditional lords that had been present at the Dragons moot had also been killed while raiding the Free Folk, leaving a power vacuum which ended with Hilmar Drumm marching into the castle and declaring himself the new lord.
BWbhakEkaPaelj3-76xIbhGOxqG9ysa-Oe6eC_fzA3WxvtNV6G7somE9g9r_5w2yx4dmb3CDi3feowWLZJHAcrFLC29PXZpMoQo-fweHNtmU901oaS9nHCBB2fqk5N4XNeKlvTkX
AoH_gZ23bNpll_5O72_Q0vA5YaLasnRvg1FyF8S_J9aaNXS9q4e90jmrk0j5NCcRvy8IeKGEcgl6BUcDujSimpLtyedROi3mrP2b1b6VgRL7MmRd2wU30moEz7dUvxCE5ple2ZsS

Aegon had been concerned that this violence could spread to the other clans, it was confined for now but with so many Ironborn lords dying in the last two years, conflict could erupt at any moment as new rulers were not well established.

There was little Aegon could do in terms of Lordsport as that conflict was over, but he had a raven sent to Romny Harlaw, Sigrins brother with a command to cease the violence.

Romny Harlaw had refused, citing the need to avenge his brother. Aegon had not taken this disrespect lightly, but Edmyn Tully had convinced him that perhaps limited violence in the islands was a good thing, it would weaken them and prevent them from joining together to plot any violence against the more civilized Kingdoms.

Aegon had seen the wisdom in his words and agreed, but he would not let Clan Harlaws blatant disrespect for the throne go unpunished. He made arrangements that when Vickon Greyjoy returned from his raid in the Shivering Sea, the Lord Paramount of the Isles would be given a claim on Harlaws land to do with he saw fit, though in truth he was annoyed with Vickon as well, who was not even present in his realm during this tenseous time.

34mNVORadvwgbl5DBL6mMOZYHm4AQWT7yW_9J2Ya8i1SzH24HPPUNpqsfqfSdCunrmXE1L1I5kdLGehmUPc1sUIFYLypiGAAUCfx5XMDjph_IONZhU4J1nqQYc9HD_3xbzyafGMj

Aegon was shaken from his brooding by the sound of clapping and cheers.

‘’Wonderful.’’ Exclaimed Rhaenys, standing up from her seat clapping, a smile on her face.

The Lysene performers bowed, they had arrived the week prior and had spent every night since regaling the court at dinner with songs and plays, though this was their final performance as they were leaving the following morning.

‘’I won't let you return to Lys empty handed..Harlan, make sure they are rewarded, generously….you are welcome here anytime.’’ Rhaenys said, and Harlan nodded with a slight grimace, construction on a new keep on a neighboring hill had begun, which had taken most of the crown's treasury with its ordering, Rhaenys free spending would not exactly help with rebuilding it.

gkuIPSjXk-Z8wKBxxE9CZD-gGznA5pxx6Y7P47dIvaSCiK1s1p5eCMybiXi6aHOUIMswI6OsSxHcOvtBjdvaS7PoBG-t8CiamysAkHhksWtboUNt3DaaW31euW4rux7acSihHikw

As the guests sat down and dinner continued Rhaenys turned to Aegon.

‘’Werent they wonderful Aegon….I was thinking we should offer to take them on full time, their poems would lighten up this smokey hall, and their songs could entertain the little dragon.’’ Rhaenys said excitedly.

Aegon had not known what to expect when his sister was informed Visenya was pregnant, he had assumed there would be some jealousy, but if Rhaenys harbored any ill-feelings she hid them well, spending her days preparing chambers for the coming Targaryen and doing her best to make the rough timber keep more livable, since the construction of the new keep on a neighboring hill was expected to take well over 10 years due to its planned size. Visenya had left for her tour months ago along with the Kingsguard Ser Harold Langward and Ser Gregor Goode, with their first destination being the Free City of Braavos, where Sealord Roro would host her and her retinue in celebration for the establishment of the Braavosi outpost in King's Landing, as well as celebrate the Braavosi victory over Pentos.

Following this Visenya planned to travel upriver by barge to the Free City of Norvos, tour the surrounding hills before returning to the city and remaining until the babe was born.

cwBQAsBXh-7zWYAy3HaYtiPg6Zes4Rk4RQanbmoVW9t0RGAsVqZbhRTVz5t9ZPXzqZnhZeQ0qjHFzOkAQQwwv1UYPHbV16A67wu94Osa12YBsUHxZvRhUZmIidaPMA1yWuNpdfqJ

Rhaenys had not just been busy anticipating the arrival of the child of Aegon and Visenya, but also prepared for the birth of a baby to her Half Brother Orys and his wife Argella Durrandon, daughter of the Storm King Argilac. However tragedy had struck with the little girl being born still born, Rhaenys unused commissioned wooden stag toys adding to the terrible sadness that hung over the keep in the coming days.

Orys had handled it well, devoting himself to his work as Hand of the King, but Aegon knew Orys better than anyone and saw how deeply it had wounded him.

_28kzClz1i7unaJJ1emUefheDCfdh_IW1fKOJ773LnhSizClCo33eMsP_iyftIJaceCI5lp0unx4T56sm78IPd9VzqXc8_fBXU0HGRz3r9g2zWydjOH8jR3juo5iDJEqlr9ZSwZ0

Aegon's mind had wandered once again and Rhaenys prodded.

‘’Did you hear what I said Aegon.’’ She asked, a smile still on her face.

Aegon nodded his head ‘’I would of course love them here but I would not wish to deprive the rest of the world of their…talents.’’ The King was not a man who enjoyed poetry or ballads of courtly love.

f-vflcqveF32ItyM_wU2s2OdX-u6St2S_nv0kT748eURHexBbCWb2rvB78B3VnSGeVRFhTeMov3nAeWrPifCq_0HF309fTnsPGGZlboTqNktnfA_AC8ngStbUx8l3IY4_6dKMFIQ

‘’Brother…you truly are as crabby as a Celtigar….it would do this place some good to add some cheer, Ryam…what did you think of the performers.’’ Rhaenys asked Ryam Redwyne, who was standing at attention to serve the royal family, the boy had since been made a squire.

Ryam looked at his feet ‘’I…I dont know your grace…I liked when the Knight defended his family from the assassin I guess.’’ The poor boy was exceedingly shy, though he had shown to be very loyal to his family, protecting his twin sister Rylene, who was also in the capital as Rhaenys’s handmaiden from any sort of trouble.

op8nlJX-ljSvdGLKth4klYIte0fd13ISAnrLQTpU6Knbcq9u3gHZscXrx96AJXCCBTGXkFg6K0uez6XRKXqu5DjvmCImjrvnYsv0eI01kWJQ0EJEOEcv00kLDni5-B__GP0EgisO

Rhaenys studied Aegon's face for any chance, to which there was none.

She sighed ‘’Perhaps I should take a tour of the free cities as well, you clearly have no appreciation for the finer arts…I should very much like to see Braavos and Lys.’’

‘’Dont.’’ Aegon said, the words coming out more harsh than he intended them too.

‘’I need you here, Rhaenys.’’ Aegon clarified, more gentle this time.

In truth Visenya's absence had affected the King greatly, he knew his sister was more than capable of taking care of herself, but the thought of his firstborn child being born in a foreign city far away from him was not a pleasant thought. In addition her council was greatly missed, he loved his sister Rhaenys, who despite her aloof personality was competent in governance, but she did not have her older sisters stern taciturn mind, which Aegon found himself in need of with the pox and the outbreak of violence in the isles.

Rhaenys took his hand ‘’It was a jest, I'm not going anywhere.’’
Aegon nodded, somewhat embarrassed by his sudden outburst and took a drink of wine, for the rest of the night doing his best to forget the troubles of the realm.

15th of 5th Moon,
Palace Grounds of Norvos

Visenya stood upon the stone walls of Norvos, her hands outstretched on the ramparts. Nearly three hundred feet below sat the lower city of Norvos, situated along the muddy river Noyne and protected by a wooden palisade, this was where the common folk lived and it was bustling and noisy as the citizens of the towns unloaded river barges and sold carpets in the market below, the vibrant atmosphere a stark contrast to the upper city where Visenya had rested for the last two months, which was very quiet and grim.

CnyLlugVcZVSZnGQkQLOkcHhY3n4fGcvb06Kx16SKF9ALQwM9oI8MNpnTyve7LJHFr9mWAyzXRKb3jVbA9Y4SUx8SaSmV0EvBHjlGVvXTmAhjlYnXwtfkj5iwKRWEu17aSbKkWO-

Outside of the town stretched hills for as far as Visenya could see, upon these hills large swathes of dark birch forests. When she had first arrived in the region she had explored these hills for several days with a local guide, who had shown her the many caves that dotted the region, supposedly once home to giants and an older people predating the Norvoshi that lived and painted the caves. Somewhere out in those hills Vhagar was also out hunting.

fH1lp4RSUY1kgJF2_YrgUvWc7aMPK0E0eQhPfZmrXUTjgPOAEVCfZW9PA9FDOzBSiT-1dDR7kIF6W_5ZMRuN4nPbLP6w5vDDFiNk7cmpQou5w232ZRyuEuUCjyzpX3tgDoLcP2LZ

Following her tour of the surrounding hills, she and her guard had made their way to the city of Norvos, where Visenya relied on the hospitality of the bearded priest to stay and rest and await the birth of her child.

‘’Your Grace.’’ A voice said from behind her, startling her.

She turned and saw her Kingsguard, Ser Gregor Goode, clean shaven and holding an Iron cup. He was a quiet bear of a man, and often failed to announce his presence, yet despite his quiet nature and the fact that Visenya was hardly a woman who needed protecting, she found herself more at ease in his presence than that of the young Ser Harold Langward.

Her tour had been interesting insofar as her Kingsguard were concerned. At their first destination touring the free city of Braavos, Ser Harold Langward had overheard a rather unflattering comment directed at their party from a passing Bravo, and the two had nearly come to blows before the situation had been diffused.

A similar situation had occurred upon their arrival in Norvos. The only individuals who were permitted to wear beards in the city were the Bearded Priests, who were responsible for the city's defense and governance. Though the priests had extended the hospitality of Norvos to the Targaryen queen for as long as she required it, they insisted all her retinue shave their beards, her Kingsguard required. Ser Gregor had little problem with this but Ser Harold had taken issue with it and all but refused, earning the ire of some of the priests until Visenya had angrily ordered the young knight to shave his beard.

To be sure the young Ser Harold Langward was not a bad knight, he was brave in battle, skilled at arms, and had a good heart, but he was too brash and stubborn for Visenyas liking, a Kingsguard was supposed to protect, not start potentially dangerous situations.

She took the cup of Nahsa with a nod of thanks. When she had first heard of the odd Norvoshi drink, which consisted of fermented goats milk with honey, she had not entirely been drawn to its description, but her pregnancy had made her more adventurous in her appetite and she had come to enjoy it.

‘’A beautiful view.’’ Visenya said she found the vastness of the dark birch forests, rolling hills and the snaking river Noyne oddly calming, and she often found herself wondering where Vhagar was and what he was hunting. The dragon had followed them throughout her journey, at times lagging behind, disappearing in the shivering sea for several days while they were in Braavos, time enough that even Visenya began to worry, though the bronze dragon had returned just before they were set to sail upriver to Norvos, it always did.

Before Ser Gregor Goode could respond, Visenya heard the quick and aggressive paced footsteps upon the stone courtyard that could only belong to Ser Harold Langward.

Visenya turned to face the young knight.

‘’I judge by your pace you have important news?’’ Visenya asked, raising her eyebrows.

‘’Yes your grace…a message from Kings Landing…and a grim one.’’ The Kingsguard said.

‘’Go on.’’ Visenya nodded.

‘’Ser Warrick Manderly, our sworn brother has betrayed your family, he was tasked with taking his Lord father into custody, but instead aligned with his father to massacre the retinue sent with him and flee White Harbor for Essos…reports say Volantis but the message says to beware of the fact he may learn of our presence and seek to do you harm.’’ Harold said, his brows furrowed.

‘’Ill news indeed.’’ Visenya said, she had thought the Manderly knight the perfect candidate, young, brave and battle tested…but that had not mattered in the end.

‘’We shall protect you, your Grace.’’ Ser Gregor said simply.

‘’And I am glad for it.’’ Visenya said, she did not truly think she was in danger, the more likely scenario was for Ser Warrick to go into hiding that make himself known by attempting harm on the King's pregnant wife.

‘’My Queen…say the word and I shall sail to Volantis…track him down and then slay the false knight.’’ Ser Harold said, with his usual bravado.

‘’That will not be nec…’’ Visenya began before a sharp sensation in her back erupted with pain.

‘’Your Grace…the child?’’Young Ser Harold asked, eyes wide.

Visenya nodded, barely holding herself up on the stone walls.

The Queen had prepared for this moment, having the Norvoshi servants assigned to her prepare a separate chamber for the eventual birth.

‘’Help me to the chamber.’’ Visenya commanded sharply and her Kingsguard nodded, with both knights taking hold of one of her arms and helping her to the birthing chambers.

Ser Harold rather dramatically kicked open the door, surprising the Norvoshi servant women inside, who had their heads shaved bald in typical Norvoshi fashion.

They quickly got the queen onto the bed and began their task, they were well experienced with delivering children, and were much more composed than the two Kingsguard who were a good deal out of their element.

As they began to prepare the Queen, Ser Gregor nodded to his companion.
‘’This is a battle the Queen must fight alone.’’ The Riverlander said simply, and the two Kingsguard left the room to guard the door.

Visenya was a woman who liked to be prepared, and she had spent the last two months resting, preparing her body and rehearsing with her servants.

Because of this preparation, the birth went rather smoothly, though not without its share of difficulty as this was Visenya's first child.

By the end of it, one of the bells of Norvos had begun to ring, a high pitched ringing that could be heard all over the city. The three bells of Norvos were very important to the Norvoshi society, with the bells telling the people of Norvos when to sleep, rise, pray, and other activities.

Visenya, tired and exhausted, managed the strength to sit up, holding the babe in her arms, looking into its violet eyes, the bells continuing their high pitched song.

She turned to one of the servants, who spoke the common tongue.

‘’What is the name of that bell?’’ Visenya asked, stroking the babes head.

‘’Nyel your grace.’’ The servant said.

Visenya turned back to the baby, looking into her eyes.

‘’Nyel Targaryen……my little dragon.’’ The Queen whispered as the bells of Norvos continued to ring.

oOFAjCZNDLu-BufGhYtsEUardPCBJ1K87okNLWVPSXiZLUNQfjTlpxqm-CLEq2K6aroO0gBrBbeHWy_kNdyuR50zv2X1eTHSP9Tg_BWHHLUchgvLwKdvCN-lmAnfZ22MXNzozrDn

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Visenya is touring the Free Cities? That's interesting...

There are troubles in the North...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Subbed! I love AAR's about the silver-haired sister-fuckers of Valyria!

• 2Like
Reactions:
tbf rewriting Targ history from the Conquest is always fun. I'm in.
True. Just have to be extra careful not to reference any OTL Targ history (I've seen Aegon the Conqueror AAR's reference people like Daemon Blackfyre or Baelor the Blessed, or the Great Sept (which only existed after Baelor the Blessed iirc) in their Aegon the Conqueror playthroughs and it always feels so cringe.

• 3Like
Reactions:
24th of 3rd Moon, 7999
City of Kings Landing

The morning was a hot one, and even the waters of the Blackwater bay were still so there was no reprieve of a breeze. The men in the Kings retinue were obviously feeling its effects, especially the gold cloaks, though Aegon thought nothing of it, he was a Targaryen and had a remarkable threshold for resisting heat.

He had flown from The Iron Islands to the capitol in about three days, taking a leisurely pace through the riverlands, and resting by night on small sandy islands in the rivers. He had arrived late the previous night and his sisters had informed him of some of the events while he had been gone, though he would be filled in more thoroughly later that evening.

It was to be a busy first day back in the capitol, his sister Visenya had chosen 5 more members of the Kingsguard who would swear their loyalty on his return to the Aegonfort, following this would be the first meeting of the small council where he would be filled in on other appointments and decisions made by his sisters who had ruled in his stead during his absence. While Visenya prepared the appointments of the Kingsguard, she had suggested Aegon tour the city which had changed much since he had last seen it at the beginning of his conquest.

‘’It certainly has grown since last i've seen it.’’ Aegon said as he and his retinue rode down the mud streets.

‘’It has your grace….mostly refugees from the Kingswood.’’ replied Ser Brynden Tully, brother to Lord Paramount Edmyn of the Riverlands and the overall commander of the fledgling City Watch, which had come to be known as the gold cloaks due to their woolen cloaks dyed gold, which to no surprise to Aegon had been Rhaenys’s idea.

0-xF4_waa1rRHKIbw14UFtIvfEll4iXOFvcizsSNNa3HiBNHm6bwMLP8akMyyw3lrzO3pj7I20IxMK6dFTzobJqlprv12W9ERbk9NztDh5CRPolp2GcKdI8IuAf_N3a4Ez9B5gzu
_3gsPxcXlwvqTJ0obyBx1MkD-YxWYsBYe_EcyVseYNPhB6xzJJzZLCKbxcg55fRhkjbwNs8J0SnWEe-mpXMkePL1KQZC3MbcCd1cZO5yknXho2Xiaxc95fHKIEUS_WSvINzNd45H

Aegon had been informed as to the structure of the City Watch and he had to admit Visenya's idea was a good one. The gold cloaks would be permanently stationed at 6 ‘’gates’’ throughout the capitol, though in truth in their current state they were simple wooden barracks. These locations were the Dragon's Gate, the Kings Gate, the Lion Gate, and the Gate of the Gods, which were all overseen by Ser Brynden. Ser Rickard Tyrell, similar to Brynden in the sense that he was the younger brother to the Lord Paramount of the Reach, was given command of the Iron Gate and the River Gate barracks. Jacaerys Velaryon, brother of Corlys and Aethen, and cousin to the Targaryens had been given a command as well, since despite being less capable than his brothers was a knight, though he later abdicated the command to Ser Brynden and and instead served under Ser Brynden as one of his lieutenants.

_7JMY6vAkma-jxr0r1EwcjRKCpjnvLyi46sYTSAy5gQ2wfnxA6EHqHhlabTJtJKg0ioyiStdWfNbFYd36MMEE5axamOdcxTHAA6GDSUOIAbspMmqQu4Gk5FppmCrx9w-LUeKgob2
njrP2s7td6_m5mUmbzEl0RuM7SYKKZ-SeL7Lt4CTgkvtdMySTfc4iEJmucGrqemfgtOJJXGS-Oe8eeluhyFFTIVIofJrPm6WPnwa_gRPFmC3v97N2q38-iIhUWmkmc2xcj-0SEkz

These gates made a rough circle around the edge of the unwalled city, each stationed where roads from differing directions led out of Kings Landing. The responsibility of these barracks would be to search incoming traders and travelers, checking for smuggled goods and collecting tolls, resolving disputes and otherwise keeping the peace. There was one final aspect to the guard however.

These gates were stationed at the outskirts of the city and their garrisons would remain there. The keeping of the peace in the city proper would fall to Ser Jon Darklyn, brother to the Lord of Duskendale, a wealthy coastal port north of Kings Landing. He would take gold cloaks out on patrol through the various districts of the city, proactively searching for crime and responding to incidents.

Vf6Z63ooXBNcJsIiqEo_dkqzucQy05ip57-jlUftniRmapE-2uPyL6fhy2MF-OLtL2bG1WY7fuvpmVPs4pBc1nNiW8_AuvddQ0rpIVMLvxgPLYjZeVpJlMzYLcxwDso3cOj8z5dA

‘’The Kingswood?’’ Aegon asked, he knew little of that region of the stormlands except it was covered by woodland and home to countless small forest hamlets.

Orys Baratheon, Aegon's rumored half brother, right hand man and most trusted man nodded, he had decided to accompany Aegon on the tour.

‘’During the conquest Argilac left men there to ambush myself and Rhaenys, we held them off but her Dragon burned down much of the forest, it will grow back in time but many of the inhabitants have migrated here.’’ Orys explained.

‘’How many people live in the city?’’ Aegon asked Orys, who many in the capitol had begun to call ‘’The Kings Hand’’ since he had supervised the city since the conquest of the stormlands.

‘’I've been conducting censuses regularly….at last count it was somewhere around 8-10,000.’’ Orys responded.

This was by no means a large city by Westerosi standards but still was a tremendous amount of growth from practically zero inhabitants before the conquest, and this rapid growth had taken its toll on the fledgling city, whos infrastructure was not equipped to handle its growth and most people lived in houses of timber or ramshackle boards, collecting water from the bay and boiling it. The city had a stench to it as well as there was no sewage system.

7IDW3Ebt43sh2Qjlvyg7YbxDjroNfmTCUE81eTzoLJ0mD1QnlWd78zTWtTqdA5nl0vuS0LsGj818ZDhOioQR1Rt_AA_8VbCf3yOm_XDXq1jne_7SSVfuiINzPGaW6lCM1h6jcAMF

‘’There will need to be improvements made…and lots of them.’’ Aegon said curtly, a brief thought entering his mind that perhaps he should have taken Oldtown as his seat.

‘’The citadel sent a Maester some weeks ago, I think you'll like him, he has a mind for city building and rides around the city frequently, he has many ideas.’’ Orys nodded.

Aegon scoffed ‘’A capable maester….I'll believe it when I see it.’’ His disdain for most Maesters was well known, an opinion primarily born out of distrust for their self-claimed mastery of the world's many concepts.

The King turned to Ser Brynden Tully, whose face was almost as red as his hair due to wearing the heavy gold cloak, chainmail and a metal helm under the hot sun. ‘’How many districts do we have left Ser Brynden…we should return to the Aegonfort soon?’’

‘’Just River Row your grace….there should be a good breeze there.’’ The commander of the Gold Cloaks responded.

They had toured each of the gates and the other districts over the last few hours. They had started with the Street of Seeds, home to most of the bakeries and granaries in the city, that had been the most pleasant street as the smell of freshly baked bread was almost enough to overcome the stench from the rest of the city.

NBxCpfmiibJGUY2X3m_PeX6oafJZbxWB9TdR47Qw3LZQ7sAJ99j1k72UHsGWQe3ph-t8g1pZlDS8-BdiV_bKbs80jtefDiD8Jnfon0tV-v8GjqecieANJN1uPyA4sonO26L-44B-

At the end of the Street of Seeds, they had visited the small wooden sept of the town, though Aegon true to his nature had kept the visit brief. His sisters had invited one of Lord Manfred Hightower’s sons, Septon Leyton to oversee both the small septs in the city and the one in the Aegonfort. It was a far cry from assisting in the seven wealthy septs of Oldtown, but the young Septon had stated that the gods looked just as favorably on septs of timber as ones of marble and stated he was happy to do their will in the capitol for his remaining time on earth, which he feared would not be long despite effective treatment from the Maesters.

fSObAaxvR7auCWzYQGyCqIOEaUUSEn73z1S59UkhRJPdElrVuijbzmaoVxOwk1fQdB5asCBL3z1KzJ8y_5UUQeGaWXZBN53SedYcKqBFNulhrD-i9qDID1PhmKty8zESYyt4wSVa

Following that they toured the street of steel, a district that ran down a large hill from the street of seeds and was home to most of the city's shops. There were many forges in this district, with the ones at the top being home to weapon and armorsmiths though due to the recency of the cities founding they were not overly skilled. Going down were other forges making goods needed in a new city such as nails, horseshoes, and hammers. Despite its name there were other shops here such as tanneries and cloth shops.

_cO57l0fGBLCVYmS4boXqWVo2_PFfiBK5G5nu3JEz1B_fsMsN-qrtATmbo3Z_c4yk2g-jWj-4idPRfJTNya5e-O-KVrtSZYWCGUajdSylqZ2C1BsMIF9h3rjyb2tOFzW95v0D7WJ

They had just got done touring the district of Eel Alley, home to most of the housing in the city as well as taverns and inns, including many serving as brothels. This was the area where most of the trouble occurred, Brynden Tully had explained.

The retinue passed by the River Gate, which was under the command of Rickard Tyrell who nodded at them as they passed. The smell of the harbor hit them immediately, though Aegon was a man who was used to campaigning and it had little effect on him.

True to its word, the district of River Row ran along the bay in a straight line, with some makeshift docks being set up to house several fishing boats. As they rode along the river there were small stalls of fish being sold, increasing in frequency until a large square by the riverside came into sight, with well over two dozen market stalls, with their vendors yelling out the day's catch.

vW6oiqIJKl6G-rxno2FpyyCX_vGzIniY1x3OOvhCtma3Xy8uJJ8-wbP968RbBkvGFvkXbJxgo1Uhl8drAA8mwGg40Wl0-Rcznnqr5SX8pSNnUqWyPmj6WmOyJGFcFHbiB6V74QlY

‘’Fishmongers Square they call it.’’ Ser Jon Darklyn said.

Aegon nodded and looked further up the river, where several foreign looking men were constructing a stone structure along the riverside ‘’Braavosi?’’ he guessed by their clothing.

Orys nodded ‘’One of the families sent a representative when you were away asking permission to set up a trading outpost…the city may not be much now but they recognize it will grow and wanted to get ahead of the other republics….Visenya allowed them to set up here….they have promised good prices on dyes and cloth while they want timber from my lands.’’
kQrgY6tPum3ymU1F1Gn1OOzd8qiOnWE5z0wV83nN4pWv8dteZKgqx9wMlrjPqAbDzn0IBCV4C6ky-wkHPYjuoknjEjGZTnkPQv2P7mAlQrq0jCnUTDmbrnWGDOb7FBSsjl5FIyln

‘’It was good of Visenya to arrange this.’’ Aegon stated, he had no love of the Braavosi, mostly stemming from the fact his uncle Daemon, father to Aethen, Jacaerys, and Corlys was slain in a naval battle at Gulltown which had included mercenary Braavosi galleys, but he had to admit it would help with the prosperity and trade of Kings Landing.

‘’Good for trade perhaps’’ grumbled Ser Brynden ‘’Theyve all but taken over one of the harborside taverns, and a fortnight ago some fisherman had the nerve to stumble in there drunk and insult one them….my gold cloaks found the poor man face down in a pool of his own blood.’’

‘’Any more trouble?’’ Aegon asked with concern, he was glad to have the prospect of Braavosi trade in the capital, but not at the expense of lawlessness.

Ser Brynden shook his head ‘’They made their point clear…none bother them now…I would have had the murderer seized but theres at least 50 of them and Ive no way of knowing which one.’’

‘’We should be heading back.’’ Aegon said, earning a nod from Orys.

‘’Aye…Visenya will have your new guard assembled by now….best not to keep her waiting.’’ He said.

Ser Brynden Tully dismissed himself to return to his duties, but not before sending a dozen men to escort the King and his Hand back to the Aegonfort.

They made their way through the muddy streets, and up the Street of Steel until the wooden ramparts of the Aegonfort came into view.

sACg_CnF1wzPmhteKiJXeXpuQU6DgDfIyIErhDThR6kG1mj6-CC6A5KtRFj321hBdhXWUWPYBDc_byC-S0XNm7GS9m6tdw0CP0v2gWut2vgnuYOcPrRuWtaSl32eI0SXUYOsWRB-

It was rather unimpressive as seats went, especially considering it was the spot in which the King of Westeros ruled. The entire hill had been encased by timber palisades, though the gate was at least respectable, being made of heavy iron. The longhall, which held most of the courts lodging accommodations was the largest structure within the fort, while there was also a small kitchen keep and ramshackle sept, even less impressive then the one in the city proper. There was also a small stables as well as a barracks for the castle guard.

Aegon and Orys dismounted, handing their horses over to a groom.

‘’Water them well.’’ Aegon instructed and the boy nodded.

The door to the Longhall came swinging open and little Ryam Redwyne, the King's page, the heir to the Arbor and a boy of 6 ran towards them.

Orys grabbed the boys shoulders and stood him still ‘’Careful boy, your liable to crack your head open scampering around like that…and more importantly you could break something.’’

Aegon gave a smile at that, he had not been in the capitol so his young page was a little behind on learning what was expected of him.

‘’What is it, Ryam?’’ Aegon asked.

‘’The queen instructed me to tell you that she has gathered her appointments in the longhall for your consideration.’’ Ryam said carefully, careful not to make any mistakes in relaying the message.

Aegon nodded ‘’We shall be there shortly, go over to the stables and help that groom with our horses, he will show you how.’’

Little Ryam nodded and ran off.

Orys laughed ‘’The boy takes after his kinsman….he runs almost as fast as the Reach levies at the field of file from what i've heard.’’

Aegon chuckled at that and the two of them headed inside.

The hall was a smoky one, as similar to the Great Hall in Pyke there was a large hearth in the center of the room. At the far side of the hall was the Iron Throne, a huge, ugly and twisted mass of swords burned black from Balerions fire and hammered together by smiths from the Street of Steel. Despite its unattractive appearance, it made for a formidable sight amidst the smoky atmosphere of the longhall.

In the corner of the hall, gathered in the crowd were several formidable looking men, wearing doublets, jerkins, and gambesons, many with their house sigils emblazoned on them. Rhaenys was standing among them, laughing at a joke while Visenya stood near the throne, when all noticed the King's arrival they fell silent, with the Knights gathered bowing their heads in respect.

Aegon made his way towards Visenya.

‘’Brother…i'm glad your expedition throughout the city is over…I was beginning to think you had fallen in the bay.’’ Visenya said curtly.

Aegon nodded ‘’Tempting…but I am here now.’’

He made his way to the Iron Throne and slowly sat upon it, careful to avoid the jagged blades. This would be the first time he officially held court from the throne and he had to admit the smiths had done their job well, perhaps a little too well.

He had commissioned the throne with the tenant that a King should never rest easy in mind and in that regard it was everything he could have hoped for, it would serve as a reminder that a King must never grow lax or complacent, even on his own throne.

He turned to the gathered knights, five in total and gestured them forward.

‘’My sister tells me that out of the dozens of knights in attendance, you alone remain in consideration for the Kingsguard….for this I congratulate you….I shall now hear your name, house, and your oaths…if you would reject this honor now is the time…..this appointment shall only be ended with your deaths.’’ Aegon said, his face scanning the knights, most of them young and fit looking. None made any move to leave.

Aegon nodded ‘’Let us begin then.’’

A young knight with long stringy brown hair and dark eyebrows stepped forward, a proud look upon his face‘’I am Ser Harold Langward your grace….and it is my honor to represent the Stormlands in your guard…you shall find me worthy of this honor I am sure….and if this duty ends in my death…I hope it shall end with the corpses of your enemies strewn around me.’’
gkkSHB10Ocnb-cym0kb2Lmwk3rBBWzZ-KYtgcglB79qMEGqEHlqV6giJycjDN3Vqm9HdMzAs9kzv1IKFMbiYj6yQ8gxy9O3JFgnPGnkSqhBB5g9wABx_HUF1Ht753fjMUN7RYPgB

‘’Well said.’’ Orys said with a nod of approval.

‘’I welcome you into the Kingsguard then Ser Harold Langward…..Ser Corlys Velaryon, your Lord Commander shall instruct you on what is expected of you upon his return.’’ Aegon said, earning a nod from the young Stormlander.

The next Knight to step forward,a young black haired man with the beginnings of a mustache was a face Aegon recognized as Garmon Hightower, Lord Manfreds youngest son and brother to the newly appointed Septon Leyton.

RtcnSf4qZviTCXSa3yX0yrrqVQkPezkBHg5MWlb6ht1FyqdN2wPyGTDMcknZQZdvT3IL3j8AF2c7tdAiftQalsa7saDfftn9h2gc3fKbaVJdQJg1DxYs0esuuufTgIagIZHbDexi

‘’I need no introduction from you Ser Garmon….I accept you into my service.’’ Aegon said.

‘’I shall be at your side in battle and in peace your grace.’’ He had said with a bow.

‘’Ser Gawen Corbray your grace…I shall represent the Vale.’’ A blonde haired man had said stepping forward, he had a rather ridiculous looking mustache though it was obviously well groomed.

SoTWBUZXgM9AFDrsCfUghLKCEqSwzBQmbsj7KrylE4OHgHPshoVdu9zpF7WmaeqvoU3w3NaZWOdYG9lTjJsEDzsr2WzlV5e3k91QlfIQWveOoMbSOTQp7pp2CHvWTLNWXIwiwlfD

Aegon nodded, and caught a glimpse of the man's sword, which had a heart shaped ruby in the pommel. ‘’Your sword Ser Gawen.’’

The Valeman nodded and in what was clearly a well practiced motion drew it from its scabbard, holding it in front of him with a gloved hand, the blades quality visible even in the smoke of the hall.

‘’Valyrian Steel….a fine blade.’’ Aegon said, impressed, it would be good to have such a weapon amongst his guard.

Ser Gawen nodded ‘’She is called Lady Forlorn…as many a woman has been brought to such a state due to this blade meeting their husbands….many at my hand.’’

The next introduction had been rather uneventful. The knight was of significantly lower stock than the others, coming from a family of unlanded hedge knights, and was not much of a talker, but Visenya had been so impressed by the man, both in his easily apparent strength and his calm temperament she had chosen the knight, who was called Ser Gregor Goode, to represent the riverlands.

DPAzaDNYZohLnzLLe50i3MidcvdvRyr6ar_1NXFYNGbSqj08J3ArNOioneHfxklOdOUR5t1U5mfurBw9uS0Onp2W8LYYWuhkxv-oqBov2PjTr5n-OxnBLbDKMnfXcJBKpU1SqyrF

The last Knight had been one of Visenyas riskiest appointments. He was older then the others, though still quite young and had short cropped golden hair, green eyes, and a shaggy beard and had a somewhat portly yet stout appearance.

tbkMXF9T5-DSDvQz5o-cimU0X2RKmSwdzlOdtYRAbswUcv7p6L818Ml4gDYRvYupzjusGmSMYSz4NrzKuwN7VYPcdTbSrEg-YygfAKQKJQbQghlSWp8_RvZuj3LbMnaYpwWATQ_l

‘’Ser Stafford Lannister, your grace.’’ The man had said, bowing his head.

Aegon shared a look with Visenya, out of all the Kingdoms, with perhaps the exception of the Iron Islands, the Westerlands were the one that harbored the most resentment for their annexation, and taking a Lannister into his service could be risky. Visenya nodded head, confirming her choice.

‘’A Lannister…surely a Knight of your standing has better prospects at the Rock?’’ Aegon asked with curiosity.

Ser Stafford shook his head ‘’I am a Lannister of Lannisport your grace….a lesser branch than Lord Paramount Lorens….in truth we have little relation.’’ The port city of Lannisport outside of Casterly Rock was the second largest city in Westeros only behind Oldtown.

Aegon nodded ‘’Then I welcome you to the Kingsguard, Stafford of Lannisport.’’

There was one final spot on the Kingsguard remaining, though Visenya was still searching for a worthy warrior among the Ironborn, Northerners, and Clawmen.

Following the introductions, all the knights had knelt upton the timber floor and pledged their swords and their lives to the King and his family…pledging to be at his side in peace and in war, and swearing they would father no children for the safety of the Targaryens was now their main priority.

Following this, Rhaenys had organized a feast for the new Kingsguard, where Aegon was better acquainted with the men who would serve him and his family for the rest of their lives, and he had to admit, his sister Visenya had chosen men both strong in sword skill and their loyalty.

One Month Later
Longhall of the Aegonfort

‘’Rise Lord Brune…..as protector of Crackclaw Point.’’ Aegon said from the throne, causing the old Clawman to rise.

‘’Thank you your grace…House Brune shall keep the peace in the point…both in my lifetime and in my descendents.’’ The silver haired Clawman responded.

P-xEhZmcUGcVkQ-PSi-hdQzEccD8HyyhX-33Ck0nFg8fHoikWx6a8uYNFswKKgVQnDoGaNr_l2GIIDvmiWFKwr7LWPisgylqwYEKIt2Yyjau1SJoTOU6YQprlJfBYGRzHjD8e-14

Aegon was a few hours into consolidating his main powerbase in the Crownlands. He had a great many minor lords sworn directly to him, and it would be much simpler to delegate these minor vassals to one High Lord, who would oversee the region, with only them reporting straight to the King.

Over the past few days he had granted the overlordship of the lands directly south of King's Landing to Maric Gaunt, Lord of Dalston Keep and a lord with an honorable reputation. Similarly, the High Lordship of Blackwater Rush would granted to Lord Gendry Creasy, and yesterday Lord Alyn Chyttering had arrived to give his oath to become protector of the burned Kingswood, though like many of his people he would remain in the capitol to become the first ‘’master of whisperers.’’

Wfp2A45r0GXnFg8hkrvqX2edDLgGItk934JN7GmZS4jiInX-ZXdKwOccYvbBdsnH6_IXVgXNX8oWvC60A7jf6_likA-TdP_t9lCxcfhmue8BEeTezl7I7hJMwJ7cPqqSMfgMk5aT
Ouqy4H3gENm5zIGVUtBChPGaQWPo9NmQcovnqBUpCdN1j1XEnZrn5z4_O80sqc0fSTGqpVBEozj5jO24fXdL97m9yeJMMPpVzrIQmobKw4EwuocaibQcBjai1XZP1VmpaUukzVKC

2R5y5GRSvmLDFg4zYSXtXMn8ZYOc0AUww-dxojPCyqm8TX6hm1NFxNVLR9_TiY2CN9aCpTVyGNy8RIzHAcQ5mT7Fg_pZGWnjcESFdDwYXPt1gFYXpTjFDSEpcTdwTEMCe0jZlE7K

Lord Alyn Brune had been the last of these appointments, and had been his sister Visenya's suggestion, with her claiming he was the oldest of the Clawlords and his house was well respected within Cracklaw Point, King Aegon was more than willing to defer to his sisters knowledge of the Clawmen and had agreed to the appointment.

Aegon turned to Theo Tyrell, his squire who had since returned with Lord Commander Corlys Velaryon from the Iron Islands.

‘’Go and help Lord Brune and his retinue prepare their horses Theo, take Ryam with you, show him how it is done.’’ Aegon commanded and his squire nodded and together he and Ryam left the hall.

Lord Brune chuckled ‘’Normally I see to my own horse, but it is not every day an old clawman is serviced by the heir to the Reach.’’

Aegon nodded ‘’He is a dutiful boy….I wish you a fine journey back to Dyre Den my lord.’’ Aegon said, referring to the castle of house Brune.

‘’Thank you your grace, there is much work to be done.’’ Lord Brune said with a bow before leaving the hall.

Aegon did not gain much of a respite from the appointment as immediately after Lord Brune had left the hall, his spymaster and the new Lord of the Kingswood, Lord Alyn Chyttering entered.

‘’Your grace….pardon the interruption, but a warship has been sighted in the bay….I believe it to be a Manderly ship…the uprising in the Three Sisters must be over if they have returned.’’ Lord Chyttering said.

‘’You are sure of this…you received a raven?’’ Aegon asked, leaning forward, if this was true it was good news as the Sisters were the last region of his Kingdoms in open revolt.

‘’I would be a piss poor spymaster if I was not your grace….though in truth I received no raven…the ship had the merman of House Manderly upon its sails.’’ The King's Spymaster responded with a small smile.

Aegon nodded and turned to one of the servants in the hall ‘’Run a message down to Ser Brynden Tully, tell him to send an escort of gold cloaks to the harbor and escort whoever has commanded the expedition to the keep. ‘’

The servant nodded and left to relay the message to the Captain of the City Watch.

Less than an hour later, Aegon heard the approach of the escort entering the Aegonfort. Most of his court had gathered in the longhall, both of his sisters, Orys, his Kingsguard, and squires were all in attendance to hear the news from the Sisters.

As the doors of the longhall swang open, the first man that caught Aegons eye was a young man with short blonde hair and the beginnings of a beard. He was dressed in a leather Jerkin, with a layer of chainmail over it, which in turn was covered by a surcoat, with the merman of house Manderly upon it. Behind him were several other Manderly knights, one of whom was holding a rope, which bound the hands of a woman, with short brown hair and the eyes to match it, looking tired and disheveled.

The young man approached the throne and knelt, ‘’The Sisters are yours your grace.’’ He said, still knelt upon the timber floor of the keep..

Aegon gestured the lad up ‘’I am glad to hear it…though I would prefer to hear the name of the man I have to thank before any further details.’’

The Knight nodded ‘’I am Ser Warrick Manderly..the youngest son of Lord Willem of White Harbor.’’

2ZUx6HlhJvbkodSYJ52TjFu1tv9X27rllAOnm3nsTZPdbj4zI2UnENv9oPTjdqnWvViWAtTlqZuwAwUQpUi3Wc9kj3nbUfqp_Y5nfuOQ5EKeyuN96eA0GNs1q105SH-cazv9i6PO

‘’I thank you for this victory Ser Warrick…..you have brought peace to the realm.’’ Aegon said to the young knight.

‘’I would have hoped to bring peace sooner your grace, I tried to storm Sunderland Hall by force shortly after landing but was repulsed and was forced to settle for a siege which took some weeks….the taking of the village was much quicker if it please your grace…my men overwhelmed the garrison quickly.’’ Ser Warrick explained, earning a scowl from the bound woman.

Aegon grimaced slightly at that, he had hoped that the pacification in the Sisters would be bloodless, though he reluctantly admitted to himself that he had only himself to blame for the failed assault on the castle and the eventual melee in the village as he did not explicitly state that his wishes when he ordered Torrhen Stark, his Warden of the North to deal with the uprising.

‘’Well it is over now, that is what matters.’’ Aegon said.

Visenya stepped forward suddenly ‘’Ser Warrick, forgive the question if you will but are you married?’’

Ser Warrick with a slight look of confusion, shook his head ‘’No my queen.’’

Visenya gave a small smile at that and gave a knowing look to Aegon who nodded.

‘’Ser Warrick….what my sister means is there is a vacancy among my Kingsguard….these men in white armor that stand beside me each represent a region of the 7 Kingdoms….the vacancy in question could be filled by a man of the north.’’ Aegon explained.

The young knight ran a hand through his beard ‘’I see.’’

‘’If you were to fill this vacancy…of which you are well deserving after your bravery in the Sisters…you would give up the opportunity of taking a wife….your life would be spent in the service of the King.’’ Visenya said.

Ser Warrick was silent for a moment before at last answering ‘’I shall take my sword as a wife then my queen, I am a warrior before all else and there is no greater honor than to serve the King in battle.’’

c4hBEA03ooRv4NHmIbnMjwS8exDuV9xufJAoI7YN25HBJTuqrc8Dv1yVY01gQ5hCtkTMoCbEb36N3fT30OAzANkp955O5oE0Q7LFHqbpezH1Q7RIHaCGCz2gdwqVmVHCP_Bg5iaf

‘’Excellent, I am glad to have you, Ser Corlys Velayron shall explain what is expected of you and then I shall take your oath should you still wish to give it..’’ Aegon said, he was pleased at this appointment, the final spot on his Kingsguard had been proving difficult to fill, and Ser Warrick was seemingly the perfect candidate, brave and battle tested despite his young age.

‘’A final thing your grace…we have their ruler….Queen Marla Sunderland she has styled herself, she wounded one of my men after her garrison surrendered and bit another…I lost many good men due to her uprising.’’ Ser Warrick explained.

Aegon nodded ‘’I shall deal with her.’’

He turned to the rest of the court ‘’All of you leave us if you will….I will speak with the Lady Sunderland.’’

The court gradually left the longhall, except for Ser Garmon Hightower of the Kingsguard, who was the Kings assigned guard for the hour.

When the hall was empty he turned to Ser Garmon ‘’Cut her loose.’’ Aegon commanded.

‘’Are you sure your grace?’’ Ser Garmon asked, he was a brave man but took his duty to protect the King the most seriously of all the Kingsguard, sometimes to the point of paranoia.

Aegon nodded ‘’If she means to bite me than I take solace in the fact you are here.’’

Ser Garmon nodded and cut her loose, but not before doing a respectful patdown for any hidden weapons to which Aegon couldn't help but roll his eyes at.

GZguZ5je_CAepqe13nnWEAahM4IJXyKnSnLVxvky8ajlSQERTT2jgzRIsqlqf_xpoKnlAdyr98RvzGonIsyjyCbzjKHe-SKXfq_y6XbwOUQ23bsDxT0k5_GAk41TPj1KawYqxXZI

‘’Well if you mean to kill me, best get it done with.’’ Marla Sunderland said, her voice powerful and proud, and utterly without fear.

Aegon nodded ‘’Would you prefer the blade or dragonfire.’’ Earning a rather shocked look from Ser Garmon.

Aegon then leaned back a bit, gauging the Lady of the Sisters for a reaction.

Even with the mention of Dragonfire, Marla Sunderland did not seem perturbed, merely shrugging her shoulders ‘’I dont suppose it makes much difference in the end.’’ She said,

Aegon was silent for a moment before nodding ‘’It doesnt does it?.’’

A silence fell over the hall before Aegon sighed, and came to his feet.

‘’I dont mean to kill you Marla Sunderland…at least not today…and I certainly do not intend to feed you to my Dragon….as a general rule I dont feed those I respect to Balerion.’’ Aegon said.

‘’Your Grace?’’ Marla Sunderland said with confusion.

‘’Aye….I respect you…I see why your people named you their Queen…and I understand why you rebelled.’’ Aegon said, to the rather shocked ruler of the Three Sisters.

‘’And why is that?’’ Marla asked.

‘’Because for centuries you and your lands have been pulled between the North and the Vale like a piece of meat between two hounds, each year being shredded closer to the bone….your lands burning…your women raped…aye I understand’’ Aegon said cooly.

‘’I am glad to hear it.’’ The former Queen of the Sisters responded.

‘’I also understand you did not rebel against me…you used the distraction of my invasion to break away from the Vale, a smart move….and it is that fact that lends itself to my decision not to execute you for treason.’’ Aegon said.

Marlas face furrowed ‘’You mean to give us to the Vale then…make them our overlords?’’

Aegon was silent.

‘’A choice then…is that it…my life for my word that I will serve either the Vale or the North’’ Marla said, her voice rising in intensity.

Aegon raised his hand ‘’No Lady Sunderland….’’it’’ is a promise….a promise that your people and your islands will not be the battleground for two great powers ever again….no..you will not serve the lords of the North or the lords of the Vale….you shall swear directly to the Iron Throne…I will not give you independence, but this is as close as you will get.’’ Aegon explained.

Marla Sunderland was speechless before quickly regaining her composure ‘’I accept your Grace.’’

Aegon nodded ‘’One last thing…..Ser Warrick Manderly spoke true, he did lose many men upon the walls of Sunderland Hall, and the Manderlys will be expecting some sort of punishment.’’

Marla scoffed ‘’Men lost due to his decision to storm the walls, he didn't have a chance with the amount of men he had…those deaths were on him. And I would take the opportunity to tell you they more than avenged themselves upon the garrison of Crably, the neighboring village…they would have surrendered in time, but your Merman Knight was determined to win glory and ordered it stormed without even negotiating….many good men died defending their homes that day.’’

‘’It is true Ser Warrick was hotheaded in his pursuit of glory…but he acted upon my orders…and there must be some sort of punishment my lady.’’ Aegon said slowly but with understanding.

Marla Sunderland was silent at that.

‘’I hear you have a younger brother.’’ The King said.

Marla nodded cautiously ‘’I do your Grace.’’

‘’Have him come to King Landing…the sept could use a man of noble birth and an anointed knight to defend the priests as they do their charity.’’ Aegon said.

xrUpGgLdfdBDzVLip8QJilzOhxB2ZQ_S7ajDP3UgSKC0NiEUqo3EtucxKyg1wn-ok-vFsJBgTuZvnC5w787Ijk6rh500y5dxSfKWREhXoVLnbnJHKMb_pbFVaO_qPpKQayu8dePv

‘’You would find him of little use, I'm afraid.’’ Marla said dismissively, though it was clear she knew the purpose of the ‘’invitation.’’

‘’Have him sent all the same.’’ Aegon responded.

‘’You would have him be a hostage!’’ Marla said, her voice rising slightly.

‘’An honored guest.’’ Aegon replied coolly.

Marla Sunderland was quiet for a moment before she nodded silently.

‘’Then you are free to leave in peace my lady…I shall have a ship arranged to take you back to the Sisters.’’ Aegon said.

‘’I thank you for it your grace.’’ Marla replied, though somewhat tersely.

With Marla Sunderlands capitulation, all the rebellions in the realm had been put down, and for the first time in its history…Westeros was at peace, albeit an uneasy one.
Fwiend... When will the next chapter be lol? No rush, I'm just super into this!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Subbed! I love AAR's about the silver-haired sister-fuckers of Valyria!
Fwiend... When will the next chapter be lol? No rush, I'm just super into this!
Glad to have you:)

Next chapter will be out tommorow, in all honesty I primarily post this on another forum and have just returned from vacation so ive gotten a little behind on posting here, but I have several chapters already written and they will begin rolling out here soon :)

Reactions:
post this on another forum
If it wouldn't be too presumptions, what forum is that? I'm always looking for new platforms to read good stuff!

Reactions:
Visenya is touring the Free Cities? That's interesting...

There are troubles in the North...
These troubles will only continue, the North is one of the realms more unstable regions.

If it wouldn't be too presumptions, what forum is that? I'm always looking for new platforms to read good stuff!
Not presumptuous at all, It is called Questionable Questing, I recently found it as another way to share the AAR. I wasn't aware oft his when I started posting there but I did come to realize its.....a little less wholesome than our forums here and focused a lot on NSFW writing, but despite this I havent felt out of place posting it there and have gotten some good and thoughtful feedback/people that are interested in ck2. If you do choose to post there, be aware it doesnt have an image hosting so if you want to post your AAR there, copy and paste it from the paradox forums as opposed to something like a google doc, and the images will transfer

Reactions:
Chapter 6: Ice (Torrhen Stark)
10th Moon, 8000
Courtyard of Winterfell

dxnLtIF9zlQIagExHmkGDq1wC11hYln8bkRgzJZCV7t1e13pP8-qlZyFNH4-bqoHWXh86oCBeBjyDKSFAHiNcLYvDD8wGpRA-L9X5OPFOyKSUlxaDeeq7fLcHHtVPCV-3rqAyleox_cwH06Cog

The courtyard of Winterfell was loud with the clash of steel on steel, the two warriors oblivious to the crowd formed around them, deeply focused on their dance of death.

Torrhen Stark, Warden of the North and Lord of WInterfell stood in the courtyard, snowflakes slowly falling upon his brown hair, their slow and gentle path a stark contrast to the aggressive clashes of steel in the fight before him, he stood straight despite the cold, his hands clasped tightly around the hilt of his Valyrian greatsword Ice, which was pointed at the ground in front of him.

Beside him stood his heir, Brandon, his third son Donnor, and his only daughter Lyara, who had her hands placed protectively over her pregnant belly, a nervous look on her face as she watched the fighting in front of her. At the other end of the crowd stood the aged Lord Warrick Wells, a pale look on his face.

1JXOG7jrTxgrHLY336Fpy56VpSl4lleC2rO-43HRDWqVVEHyA5TUIiNWXToRa-ruyxmq6VXAOwyb3xXaBp6GzHjVTbBam-hQhQeiwXrzMTbzgn2UDY1tRPcYG1KHL4AGBGU5KybhoojV_41sYA

mMgUDdUM5qpRxua02UK6PNepFQxHT4c5K2MHNdDXwbj0y92wEsuZ-JrlzfMD2b4j3B925Nwu5xL5w8g6-n8T3sPSVI6j_mUtolenDka6-Gl7Lvz6qjrTrIEcDERJdo_jxeWCamnesKl2QWsLxw

bzA2N3ZmotNIfFxf2ckDEa3n4EoYDpxvGMPoD6PJK9dkWtDoz0rr3sU3KngFZQCM1tTmh7ohM1RKMfjrTvp5wcnLHZzagVWaJ-s5NYlqJGSIx_yofBvVlGntxGwnoXwpQ6nJKbrG89eakZG2gQ

Lyarra Stark and Warrick Wells had good reasons to be nervous, as the two participants of the melee were close to them, Brandon the ‘’Bastard of WInterfell’’ was Lyarras husband, while Ser Wendall Wells was the oldest son of Lord Warrick.

SgCBjwlTQrxR7YmQhxuqihQDLZ_GVTA7CEGkcKKz4SSrPy2K_okQpsdGMafPFzmMdG8rp0mZd4mProFcs6NsSdlYkS2csQ5JLnr1z3tod9o1BXx-sOjiihFhC71FhCNwQ9jKuE9afy7DO-7VtQ
h87o437jdqWfVDp2EUkGmWEwvez7wWHshMInL7vedrYynsksBdy5ifIUZnmyMeuLPrLRDx06JoC5TYu4fals1hnb_tBy9SfVlhgTGU5Gc5Cx20ld2TX6L4VQy1AOMxMhHArihQieTmhaKsmqsQ

The two were fighting as part of a trial by combat to determine the guilt or innocence of Lord Warrick Wells, who stood accused of raping a peasant girl and siring a bastard on her, later turning the woman away from his keep after she gave birth, denying her care from his maesters, in which the woman died soon after. In addition to this, it was determined that Lord Warrick had provided the ship that the two Manderly traitors had used to escape White Harbor, which explained why they had not been able to find the ship in the narrow sea, since they had been looking for a Manderly ship.

rQsKCEZOy9wd1RGqO5gkBtSVkb4-51PYApY1nkPruErBEzDxNVdBK90a339YOlpP4Zn0T9s8sNRdwqQB_HOFhEV7hLgRDDRiQGvQ6ddu1pzTDxNK5qWgFNtoVKn2jYqmeT6r018pHBLyxYaCHw
Jk1tgAxuA1uvC2zAA94CgEqztgYl3U-C5eZSuyt1sJn9Yx8UxGZMjyFUl5bR_PjQr0ACHFrd6_ZczlfRI_7WE-Yx9ojAuRLU2IbK1rZ3Ej_wWfsDELSD-zQEkosalosZ9n3ph0So99YVIgiBQA

Lord Warrick, foremost vassal of the Manderlys had been made a high lord following their betrayal, however once Torrhen had heard of the man's crimes he had come to despise Warrick Wells, proclaiming he was not fit to be a high lord, he sent a company of Northern lancers to White Creek Castle, to escort Lord Wells to WInterfell to stand trial, but the old lord had turned them away, and even raised his banners in rebellion before eventually backing down at the advice of his Maesters three days later, and surrendered in Winterfell, demanding trial by combat, as was his right, an intelligent move as his son Wendell was one of the few knights north of Moat Caillin and a fine swordsman.

tYUikZ9x31vYze9KYVSeGBLuY7917faFxcGF0IEZ3xH3iUZ3IgZ2la7qSkUChUt0BCd0d3L0wGN-7H_41LtX00aAMUG7F7gYkSZwI8OEKiudAtoNcwYcSonlz0VZYM4LtlWbTld3Wlebsn6IfA

Torrhen had chosen his half brother Brandon, who had been sired as a bastard by his father. Though many in similar situations had become rivals, Torrhen had always been close to his bastard brother who had served as his right hand ever since he had become King of the North, and later Lord Paramount after swearing allegiance to King Aegon. Torrhen had even granted him the hand of his own daughter in marriage; he could not legitimize his brother, but at the very least he could ensure Brandon's children were Starks. Despite the fact Brandon was nearly two decades older than his daughter and technically her uncle, the low amount of blood they shared meant the marriage was not seen as overly controversial.

‘’The Bastard of Winterfell’’ as he was called was one of the best fighters in the North and had even volunteered to sneak into Aegons camp in the dead of night and slay his three dragons with arrows of Weirwood on the eve of Torrhen's capitulation to the Dragon King. Torrhen had refused his half-brother however, he would not risk dooming his host or his lands to Dragonfire.

The clashing of swords continued, as it had been for almost ten minutes, each man clearly a capable warrior.

‘’It is a fair fight.’’ Donnor said simply, arms crossed.

‘’Brandon will outlast him.’’ Lyara said quietly, her voice little more than a whisper, it was clear the prospect of her unborn child's father dying was one she could scarcely bear.

‘’The gods will favor whichever man stands for truth.’’ Brandon Stark, the heir to Winterfell said, earning a small nod from Torrhen.

Ser Wendel Wells, who had been on the defensive for much of the fight suddenly launched a counterattack, bringing his sword in a sweeping arc at Brandons head, though the Bastard of Winterfell deftly ducked under it, with the Knight almost losing his balance and falling to the ground, though he steadied himself and the two continued circling around each other. Ser Wendel launched another strike at the bastard, who brought his own sword up just in time, causing the courtyard to ring yet again with the sound of steel on steel, the two men locked their swords and tried to overwhelm eachother with strength, though eventually they both withdrew, the duel still dead even.

Ser Wendel, eager to keep on the attack, quickly hacked at Brandons belly as the two came apart, hoping to surprise him but the Bastard of Winterfell anticipated this, bringing his own sword to meet the strike and very nearly causing the Knight to drop his blade due to the strength of the block.

Torrhen watched with little emotion, he knew his bastard brother had prepared for the fight by drinking an ancient mixture of herbs dating back to the days of the First Men, a mixture said to give one strength in battle, and this far it seemed to be working as Brandon seemed a step quicker than the Knight.

At times during the melee, he had found himself confident that his half-brother would win, even finding himself with the raw urge to cheer Brandon on, in spite of his stern nature, but he had always quickly repressed such thoughts and action, it was the gods that would decide the outcome of the duel, and he would not seek to understand or undermine their will.

Brandon chose that moment to strike, a savage downward hack directed at the Knights skull, it made it past the Knights sword, but at the last moment Ser Wendal brought his shield up, causing a crash of wooden splinters, the knight had launched a counterattack after this but Brandon dealt with it easily enough.

Despite his failure to land a killing blow, Brandon had clearly regained the offensive, causing the Knight to have to defend against his blows.

Finally, the decisive moment arrived after several more strikes and counterstrikes. Brandon launched a devastating series of strikes, the Knight had managed to deal with two of them, both with sword and shield but the final one was too quick for him, and Brandons blade slashed the knight across the forehead, the chainmail doing nothing to stop the blow. The sword left a long bloody streak across his face, the top of his nose and one of his eyes.

Ser Wendal let out a yell of pain, blinded by the blood in his eyes and Brandon took advantage of this, thrusting his sword with all his might into the Knight's chest, the sharp steel puncturing the leather and mail armor, piercing the knights heart and going clear through to the other side.

Ser Wendel slumped to his knees, dead before he hit the ground as Brandon slowly withdrew his blade, causing the knight to fall face first on the courtyard, his red blood mixing with the frosty snow of the courtyard, its tendrils snaking towards the crowd.

Lord Warrick Wells' face had turned milk white at the sight of his son's death, his wide eyes betraying his fear…he knew that his son's demise had damned him as well.

A silence fell over the courtyard, none took pleasure in what they had just witnessed, even if most had favored the Bastard of Winterfell to win, the gods had shown Lord Warrick Wells to be guilty, though at the cost of one of the North's finest knights.

Torrhen nodded slowly, aware of what must be done, he turned to his Justiciar, Lord Robin Locke of Oldcastle, whose lands bordered those of house Wells.

‘’Take Lord Warrick back to his chambers in preparation for my ruling, have a septon brought to him if he wishes….see that Ser Wendals body is returned to his family lands.’’ Torrhen commanded his Justiciar.

‘’Lord Stark…have mercy I beg you….my lord…I beg you.’’ Lord Warrick pleaded as he was dragged to his chambers where he was being held, his cries growing weaker as he was taken farther away.

A Few Hours Later
Godswood of Winterfell

Torrhen Stark sat under the Weirwood, Ice in his lap, running a whetstone over the blade, though in truth it was not necessary, Ice was Valyrian steel and was always sharp.

He looked into the black pool of water in front of him, which was still despite the wind.

WEFxlPstCN4Ok-kj1r9AFRozc1Yvdr-4_1pUYm3AYALNFhIfM-R7cv38NXML3SXPM9H_4UyQDv9N86xlcAgZqebEpRi2Xp3HtUdE6uNUGpqDSsI_8LcCegOJF3vUlDBO4hUICaWb-G-OvTFv9Q

He heard footsteps behind him and turned, relaxing when he saw it was his Lady wife, Barbary Dustin, a heavyset woman with brown hair and eyes.

Z0qwoVmDJE1Vx-tEx-hddepRINpgYLrmqY19paPGQ2Se3uYceLgoKWI-hNUOlfLHe0vddkblXyO-MbYnahW16kpighqgSNjzLdaq5Gq36RtQCVQHRW6NezNAD0oMwqtgNAwo-eKcexqzBkscIA

‘’It is time my lord.’’ She said simply.

Torrhen nodded silently.

‘’The man must die…there can be no other ruling….that poor girl who he raped and turned away deserves justice just as much as he deserves punishment for his role in aiding the Manderlys escape.’’ She said, her voice rising in intensity.

‘’I know….as does he, that is why I had the Septon sent.’’ Torrhen said, still sharpening his blade.

‘’A kindness he did not deserve.’’ His wife said pointedly.

Torrhen was silent at that, standing up slowly, sheathing his greatsword.

He looked to the sky which was darkening fast, the last light of the sun barely penetrating into the godswood ‘’You are right…it is time.’’

The two made their way to the castle courtyard, which had since been cleaned of blood, both by servants and fresh snow, Ser Wendels body had since been removed, it would be taken to White Creek Castle, the seat of House Wells to undergo rites from their septon.

Lord Warrick stood as well, shivering from fear or cold Torrhen did not know, though from what he knew of the man he guessed fear.

A block had been set up in the courtyard, a simple log with space enough for a mans neck, all in attendance knew the ruling was just a formality, it had been ever since Torrhen had sent the man a septon,

Lord Torrhen stood near the block, Ice in hand and turned to face Lord Warrick Wells.

‘’Step forward my lord.’’ He said sternly.

Lord Warrick made no effort to move and a guardsman shoved him forward, eventually causing the elderly lord to shuffle forward.

‘’Lord Warrick Wells…..you stood accused of rape and treason against the crown, you put the matter to the gods…who have revealed the truth to all in attendance.’’ Torrhen began, looking the old man in the eye.

‘’Dont….please dont.’’ Lord Warrick said quietly, his voice a whisper, he knew as well as anyone what came next.

‘’In the name of Aegon Targaryen, first of his name, I, Torrhen Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North…do sentence you to die.’’ Torrhen finished, nodding to the guards who pushed the old man to the block, and then to his knees, the old lord's arms flailing and shaking in a futile attempt to resist.

‘’Dont…I beg of yo..AHHH’’ Lord Warrick began, before his words turned into a wordless cry, gone as quick as it began, the greatsword Ice ending his protests and his life.

TXcUpWo_MuCCnMj5M5lhmcenqJwhL5OuJDE_5UN3xtCGX_ZJE009qm8IDiJwGqrdpHFUGTUIbqGqr4glCCLddvRfWnNMkV1T-EmZLKf7jo5QHI7Y-uIOVsDvmNKlHq5U8lpNtnAG-ZSDxrvt2Q

d2tvrK4R5zb6_KsnGpeJXHzvbUYpYoKctvTAt13204wbDEAOFBCoY-C4PulTdH-IS-pkg3te30yIsU99AKPo-AvoiiXDIFdjac6_R7aKtouB4DjLnWAqcWJde8PFaTiPGX1wIFa9Tp34zevwVw
4fjnLT8ZW4GdlcH_fRNOQ_z4Z5JYJ1A6duLAEKVjWPCQvb1oYylWKLw-3JeSPLkxvv1fwTD2M2ogCgyuxM-6PoaY5bUINmJ7PmTzZx7n0eNJ5iZQgyR4LsrYOZSPxbE7-F94P8DcoiHBdySj9A

4 Days Later
Godswood of Winterfell

Torrhen was once again seated under the Godswood, Ice in hand, he had long since scrubbed any trace of blood or sinew from the greatsword, but he was a diligent man and saw to his ancestral weapon near every day.

His peace was disturbed by his Justiciar, portly Lord Robin Locke of Oldcastle, who approached rather uncertainty.

‘’Ser Wendels and Lord Warrick's bodies has been returned?’’ Torrhen asked.

The Justiciar nodded ‘’Aye they were sent this morning…but there is ill news.’’

‘’Go on.’’ Torrhen said, still wiping the rag over Ice.

‘’Damon Manderly has called his banners and demanded his old High Lordship back from Lord Warrick's brother Ondrew, who refused the demand, both House Manderly and House Wells have called their banners….war has broken out.’’ Lord Robin responded.

That caused Torrhen to stop what he was doing, he faced his Justiciar ‘’ Send a raven to White Harbor, demand them to send their banners home and end this nonsense, I revoked the High Lordship for a reason, House Manderly had grown too powerful and opposed the King, remind lord Damon that his son Garth is my ward here, he is in no position to refuse.’’

Robin Locke hesitated running a hand through his short red hair ‘’Lord Stark…Garth Manderly was spirited away from his chambers last night, no doubt by Manderly agents, he is surely on his way to White Harbor as we speak.’’

Torrhen was silent for a moment, collecting himself before speaking ‘’I was merciful…..I chose not to punish Damon Manderly for his fathers crimes…I removed his overlordship from a few castles and villages yes, but I allowed him to keep his ancestral home and his principle vassals….send the raven nonetheless, make it clear that any further action on their part will be considered treason.’’

The situation was made even more frustrating due to the fact that Damon and Torrhen were cousins, Torrhen's mother had been a Manderly and the Lord Willem Manderly who had fled to Volantis along with his Kingsguard son was the Lord Paramounts own uncle.

The message was sent and promptly ignored by the Manderlys, who had begun to make a habit of ignoring commands from their liege lords.

Following this, Torrhen Stark sent a company of Heavy Northern Lancers to the gates of White Harbor to demand Lord Manderly’s capitulation, the Manderlys who had manned the walls loosed several bolts on the men, with one of the Stark men taking a quarrel to the throat and dying, with several others wounded.

Upon their arrival back in Winterfell and reporting the situation, Torrhen Stark called his banners to Winterfell to deal with the Manderly rebellion.

RRDvcYQdspKdnMKKsiQjupUYmEkWuU9Hexxw-eKyweHYxVLXYv0znoBYNhOWTRYCaxnDOTO71Ts6dGWKI2cUWUVQ9FpkaenTPya-HU4Y182TqQo-wPpEu0lkzjbjSdXut3SXAxcFrU7UyAN6vA

Seven Months Later, 8001
Plains outside Ramsgate Castle

Torrhen Stark sat upon his horse, wearing a suit of heavy boiled leather armor and a bearskin cloak. On his shoulders were pieces of dark plate armor, the Direwolf of house Stark etched onto them. He wore the same dark plate upon his wrists.

The Warden of the North examined the frozen tundra ahead of him, with the dark waves of the Rams Coast visible in the distance, they had pursued the rebels all the way to the coast.

Torrhen had sent Robin Locke and Maester Harmon to negotiate with his cousin, the rebel Damon Manderly, both men had been present at the negotiations with the Dragon King Aegon and he hoped they could avoid conflict once again, justice demanded his cousin be punished, but he did not want to kill hundreds of Manderly men upon the tundra of Ramsgate.

Their cornering of the Manderly host had been a master stroke by the Warden of the North, with his plan to separate the Manderlys from their warships working to perfection.

Torrhen had called around half of his banners to deal with the Manderlys, amounting to some 17,000 men, including some 500 heavy horse and 2200 light cavalry, more than enough to deal with the Manderlys host of 4000 men. He had led the army personally to siege Castle Hornwood, which swore allegiance to Damon Manderly.

Torrhens bastard brother Brandon had urged him to go straight for White Harbor and Damons force, but Torrhen knew if he immediately went to give battle, the Manderlys would have ample time to escape on their warships into the sea where they could continue the fight and Damon would escape, a prospect Torrhen would not suffer, it was bad enough his Uncle Willem and cousin Ser Warrick had evaded justice.

The Manderlys had the largest fleet in the north and Torrhen would be hard pressed to deal with them without either hiring mercenaries or requesting aid from King Aegon, Torrhen was a proud man and preferred to deal with the threat himself.

His plan had been to siege Castle Hornwood and the surrounding lands, making the Manderlys believe this would be a long conflict of sieges as opposed to battle, and lure them into a sense of false security away from their fleet.

The plan had worked, though it meant that the castle of Blackpool, seat of house Slate, was sacrificed to the rebels, though the Manderlys did not harass the surrounding village or lands, likely knowing their only chance of a favorable outcome in the war was to take all the castles on the coast as swiftly as possible, starving the North of trade and giving the Manderlys good prospects of lenient peace terms.

Following the fall of Blackpool, Damon Manderly ordered his host to the neighboring Ramsgate, seat of house Woolfield away from the safety of their ships, it was then Torrhen made his move.

In the dead of night, he had ordered all of his horse, some 2700 men, to steal a march on Ramsgate, and keep the Manderlys pinned near the coast until the main host arrived. He entrusted this task to Lord Beron Reed, a Crannogmen,who was big for his people and one of Torrhen's best commanders.

aeAmDf0D80H0cbS1ObG9bccxC9wj_E57MDXrK2zP1EVEPZunFYW99LJ3O3TqNwzSgYk503n8Pyrex42rmk323hmD3Nf3wUjmSiesDX5yoDuqKJ6cU_-jhQp-btBVnKi0P-W52P46OE2fSmIYRA

The plan had worked and the Manderlys found themself cut off from escape. If Damon had any sense he would have ordered his host to attack the Calvary force and break free, it would have been bloody but they had some 200 heavy horse of their own and could likely breach the lines long enough for the Lord of Wite Harbor to flee to his ships and go into exile in Essos.

Damon had made his biggest blunder then, instead of attempting to break through before the Starks main force arrived, he had his ravens sent to White Harbor, instructing his fleet to sail to Ramsgate's coast and save them.

The Manderlys decision to only leave a garrison at the castle of Blackpool and leave the village untaken had been their downfall. Beron had sent scouts to warn the villagers of Coldhouse that Lord Manderly would likely send ravens that way, and the villagers had shot down every one of Lord Manderly's ravens, though this was unknown to Damon, who had assumed his message had gone through and rescue was on the way…it was not and days later, instead of a rescue fleet, the Manderly host was met with the sight of 15,000 Stark Infantry.

6Sjv6aH9jSARVptipxaL-DWRgf4ZJf2l1PDLTkuN7VRK4-IBrhl1chFiwYSrO4SUIWaHTlPrlxNLP1nPP3nKd8IDJKikFZsEFjUXoChA6yKXT2leXEvoudsOj7T9kouZDi-l3u1iVrk8Xl1jSg

Torrhen then saw his Justiciar and chief diplomat, Lord Robin Locke riding back, alongside Maester Harmon.

Before Torrhen could speak, Lord Robin shook his head ‘’The proud fool will not surrender, not even to save his own men….there will be battle.’’

Torrhen sighed, though in truth he was not surprised, he knew Damon well enough to know that his cousin would always put his own interests ahead of his mens.

He turned to Beron Reed ‘’He will try to escape in the chaos, I want light cavalry in reserve to cut him off when he does….put a man you trust in command and go to the center, prepare the men to attack.’’

VKvlwwQtSn51Kwm0d14j1hEck5Ts08Jg0hSc_t1EVNWYZwcHpoVcdFwL_sTgKisjnfBOnbZrO86QMU__1ujtidKrP8fAJqUbALLrRRvdw1SCynHwLd0Gmp2gGKqY7ycL9OHUtX5P8jngxfX8zA

The old Crannogmen nodded ‘’Ill lead the attack myself.’’

The attack was launched soon after, Torrhen took command of the left flank and sent his light cavalry to harass the Manderly lines, meanwhile Beron Reed had ordered his heavy infantry forward to break the Manderly lines.

The battle was short as one might expect, the Manderly troops knew they had no chance and many either fled or threw down their weapons, Torrhen allowed them to flee, his fight was not with them, though after the battle there were rumors that some Manderlys that attempted to flee on the right flank towards Widows watch were pursued and slaughtered by one of Torrhen's more ruthless commanders.

By the end of it, nearly 2500 Manderlys were dead, wounded, and captured, with most of that number being captured, losses for the Starks were very light, with only around 5 dozen men being killed or wounded.

UlB29iKBPKenPjs3RJrsLD4U-Ctnzf-l-zhQapYInYoiPRKhQU31t_5SR4v9aBNo2E7h1UbzQpBhLlVVGGHFwK6Si-M20viwNAQiCsFj1X9scXsZoF1lT1tSyryKhEb0c0q9mXjOT8XTFojUwg

It came at a heavy cost however, Beron Reed, the brave old Crannogmen had insisted on fighting in the front rank on foot alongside his men, and had taken an ax to the skull, with the old man dying of his wounds not long after.

usL9ylzLYacIBDrGwWFYGAM5ppS7YzGyvJIyv0Dwv8jlooRSioq-JFvHSsJAG0Tn6dIgC9J0OAD81FtMT_VzV4PlQjy4ZgMvCeMJ3iBw7Qdw8kH-ooANPd_efs5P1DJ2oYhHpgvTk2yaowmutw

True to Tohhrens prediction, his cousin Damon used the confusion of the battle to slip away, predictably riding towards White Harbor, his flight did not last long as two days later Torrhen's riders captured him and brought him to Ramsgate, where Torrhen was awaiting him.

To8JoBV8TJh5XSBZ43ujFKd8XXWfRjV9HgY85dG2ISAbjlThUvCr6uoNTL1jcOfnbEuivCf1k4VTS0oNiiEZGVA4Xn9RfJkVcYZ4FjT5kReOa_5YfWBE1XskL8mmOIL1fHykAA-hY3GA0A5vLg

Damon had attempted to use his kinship to Torrhen to his own ends, but Torrhen knew what must be done and had sentenced Damon Manderly to death in the name of King Aegon. Damon had died better than the screaming Lord Warrick Wells, accepting his fate in the end and asking that his son Garth not be held responsible for his crimes, before Torrhen beheaded him with Ice.

5C2ftRYpiFy1il6f3GNEkxfBEHd1KvTMYPZQsdiVZZ4u6rdYMaSSj3eag3Mw3woCHTHDX2I-L-qXX6fE1oXq7l6aY0IeSd6BxqBVpvGP8meLYRTUEdrqCFmbLk3e010So3tUJ5qF9YLpvgSWqQ

The Warden of the North had released the Manderly prisoners, though the dozens of White Harbor Knights captured at Ramsgate had to ransom themselves. Torrhen had also not held Garth Manderly responsible for his fathers crimes, he had fostered the boy for some months in WInterfell and thought the boy to be a good lad, and not the sort to begin any trouble, with those factors in mind, he allowed House Manderly to keep White Harbor, though he made it clear they would not regain their past vassals. Torrhen hoped that with the boy's ascension to rulership, the period of Manderly defiance and the bloodletting in the region would be ended.

BLsSecBZnT7j0tWAHSojymqKNd8IiPkAxioG7XHd1_mEVZjA5EcmqzDudJk0hLx4jsB3VxRDpvcv5O8SAbQm3OyBaf4SMfQTpL0SQuw0hFMTwma1MTeO_9uTnRRDXUiOrC3Jxcx9OeqMQd75_A

(Note, the next chapter will not begin after the 7 month timeskip and will be happening concurrently)

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 7: King Aegons First Progress (Aegon/Lord Commander Corlys Velaryon)
7th Moon, 8000
Docks of Kings Landing

The small ship made its way closer to the shore, its dragon banner fluttering in the wind, the dark black and red cloth making it visible in the light blue sky from miles away, though now it was almost ashore. Even farther behind the ship was a dragon, its bronze scales shining in the sun.

AMw7Gajf46QYfC4IYcKdJoNEPitMt4lLKx_Q1sFDS85ufeQDlSNifmmP6hwlecmHxjBWk-JPmImlQaEUN3PFSv10eqoON9wyEN5Sr6hjNn-RVgNemBpIaDYA7iDDLSTZ7GxVaCUAiO9-SwWgTQ

The ship was Visenyas, Aegon's sister-wife and her two Kingsguard were finally returning to the capitol after nearly one year in Essos. She had sent a messenger that had arrived some time ago, stating that she had given birth to a healthy little girl in Norvos, and stated her intentions to sail down the Little Rhoyne river by barge to Pentos, where she would then stay for a month, letting the child recover from the journey from Norvos and Pentos and letting her grow stronger for the 4-5 day sea voyage from Pentos to King's Landing.

Aegon stood, hand on his sword Blackfyre, a feeling of anticipation coursing through his body. In truth he had not much thought of becoming a father in years past, with almost all of his attention devoted to his plans and ambitions to conquer Westeros, and now that he was on the verge of meeting his newborn daughter, he did not entirely know what to feel.

‘’This is so exciting….the little dragon is finally here.’’ Rhaenys said happily, she had not been idle during the wait, contracting seamstresses to make the babe clothes, and even had bought a little silver circlet from a passing Myrish trader, another one of her frivolous expenses.

As the ship came into harbor, Aegon spotted Visenya, who was wearing her silver hair in a long braid, a little bundle in her arms. Aethen Velaryon, the Targaryens cousin and the master of ships nodded to his men who prepared a wooden gangplank as the ship pulled into harbor, with Corlys Velaryon holding out a hand and helping the queen disembark.

Rhaenys immediately embraced Visenya before she stopped to look at the babe.

‘’She is beautiful, Visenya….tan too.’’ Rhaenys said with a laugh, holding out her hands to hold the baby, rocking her gently.

‘’Sailing for a week down the River Rhoyne has that effect.’’ Visenya said with a small smile.

Aegon smiled and approached his sister, embracing her for a good while before Visenya pushed him away gently.

‘’Go and see your daughter your Grace.’’ Visenya commanded.

The King walked over, and Rhaenys gently handed the baby to him.

He took her in his arms and looked down at her, she had already had some wisps of silver hair, and she looked up to him with big violet eyes, a smile on her face.

‘’I think our little explorer likes you.’’ Rhaenys said.

‘’Does the little explorer have a name.?’’ Aegon asked, Visenya's message had stated the child was a girl but made no mention of her name.

‘’Nyel’’ Visenya responded.

‘’Nyel?’’ Aegon asked, he knew of no such ancestor with that name.

‘’It is the name of one of the three bells of Norvos…she was born under its song..I thought it fitting.’’ Visenya responded.

‘’Very poetic.’’ Rhaenys said with a laugh.

The three Targaryens spent several more minutes on the dock, before heading back to the Aegonfort, where a feast had been prepared for Queen Visenya and the Kingsguard Ser Gregor Goode and Ser Harold Langward, that night would be one of stories of far off lands and strange peoples.

nYkMN12R7aZcW9_cBtqNr_OrpvOoXRptq2ToFHgwLTyxiP9NRZCSX2GKCd9ODLcpLEUWrfQxhmMULlDyFA1a3bQ1sjOgRaqO7FcrYPe-G0tzjxTXR4legqc1DXRfNEvKAyAnngSdtejHHTYSow

Three Months Later
Forests of Crackclaw Point

The smell of pine was heavy in the air as the long column of the royal retinue made their way through the uneven marshy terrain of the forested peninsula of Crackclaw Point. They had been traveling for four days from Duskendale at first along a dirt road, but that had ended once they entered the peninsula, with a clawman guide showing the retinue the best way to traverse the pine forests and bogs to reach the castle Dyre Den, though even with the help of the guide, it had been rough going, especially since Aegon brought 100 total knights from the Aegonfort and Dragonstone, along with their horses, squires and equipment.

8jtqcj9fiT4bzckSlPFT0AnmXQeiznkUSxb2vg8g3-D5CS6KrlkXPJweWWcdPQ1s7awZ1lblfxC9HlmefiM76hFkA29xdGUVLaODA6wSc-atcUf-B_PwINMc93gqDk46d-SjcMSdrBQ9jE2-0w

Things had settled down in the realm since Visenya's return with Nyel, the pox had abated, never entering Kings Landing despite getting close at times, and the violence in the Iron Islands had also ended for the moment, though there was word that a large band of robbers and reavers had formed on the Island of Pyke, taking advantage of Vickons Greyjoys absence.

With the realm seemingly at peace, Aegon had ordered preparations to be made for a months-long tour of his own realm, which he called a royal progress. During the royal progress he would travel the land, staying in local castles, holding court in some as well as administering judgment and gaining a better understanding of his realm, an idea his sister Visenya had agreed with, thinking it prudent.

Given that this was the first such progress to ever be made, Aegon would start small, though he would stay for a night in castles along the way to his destinations, he would only stay for an extended period of time in three castles, which he had instructed Grandmaester Arlan to select randomly, giving all the lords of the realm, no matter how powerful or small, a chance to be visited by the King. He had also decided to take a strong retinue with him, 100 heavy knights, their squires, servants, six of his Kingsguard, as well as some hunters in an effort to impress his vassals, he was a King after all and he wanted his retinue to reflect his power.

ZAA3BIA9jCMONpvsYuzCrL1n6As8H7wzoTx9MTFIMbgafqEKtGcFgTGP66rMfZX9HA_zqgm_BFSicf0pwGN3wen5J5H3se-fkGRhf27N9c2NBSaFp3fL7nrS70zR8xgqr-xLCx5k9cVogIUtpA

His sister Visenya, who played a large role in planning the royal progress would not be accompanying them, not only because she wished to remain in the capitol with Nyel, but shortly before they had left the capitol, she had informed Aegon she was once again with child. Together, Visenya, Edmyn Tully and Orys Baratheon would rule the realm in the months Aegon and Rhaenys were on the royal progress, to ensure the safety of his wife and daughter, he had also left the Kingsguard Ser Harold Langward in the capitol, who was in need of a rest.

P251Ydh-7Hqv5NhcDWn_NSLkOZysZoiHHkXgtuCOqOO496RLGHJ7bKaMpDlmED1QvMFk4Hg5S9RvftO3HiUxO8cn1o9deR6XMUUfuYSoLTwrMbNA3J0iz4WHVgddW4j1GWFfWnqjCe_SK4-hAA

The planned route of the progress was first to travel north from the capitol to Duskendale, then through Crackclaw Point to the castle of Dyre Den, seat of the aged Lord Alyn Brune who had come to King's Landing to be made the High Lord of the point, they would remain at Dyre Den for some time. Following this they would leave by ship to the North, stopping for some time at a small castle in the poor county of Eastmelt before riding across the interior of the North to the Flint Cliffs, their final stopping point. They would then take a ship to Seaguard and ride back to King's Landing from the west.

eiRTmXOMb5_RR79JVHX5N3EQFWVinkYzRXVNIiYQdCtvx8wneDIYbvnCbpz0qH___8s710e0R8UDn5fyIvvpOtR7z8RuF0On_qlxL-2rxzA_aLXZmUZdamgmKW1-BQ5G7e68q647kP2t-i-Fkw

Aegon turned to Rhaenys, who had not been her normal cheerful self the last few days of trudging through the pine bogs. She had wanted to simply ride by Dragon to Dyre Den but Aegon thought it best that they arrive at Dyre Den all together, to show their unity.

‘’One day we shall have to send men to make roads in parts of the realm such as these….they are cut off from trade.’’ Aegon mused as they passed yet another small ruined keep, moss growing over its cracked stone, a common sight in the pine bogs.

‘’We should not even be on the roads.’’ Rhaenys said gloomily, looking up into the sky, where one of the Dragons could be seen through a crack in the forest roof.

‘’The people of this realm dont understand our Dragons, if we arrive on their backs they will only fear us, but they do understand knights…let them see we do not just command the loyalty of Dragons but also men..let them see the white cloaks of the Kingsguard…that they will respect and even admire it….a King cannot rule with fear alone.’’ Aegon responded.

Rhaenys was silent at that.

Eventually they made it through the worst of the bogs and the ground became more stable, and they made good time after that, reaching Dyre Den by nightfall. The castle of House Brune was not a particularly impressive one, being quite small, with three crooked towers situated on a large ledge overlooking the Bay of Crabs, it was only accessible by a long winding path up the cliff, forcing Aegon's retinue to leave their horses behind with their squires, and go up one at a time, with King Aegon at the forefront.

DMISgbzXmd_dljft0CRfpDOze3XaOsn9g8jcVV4rXF0mUEYPGNw_hC6yvTGbFytr1Ib2aahc3V38A9ME2sGkGTm53UqmC-Grmo6J-r0j8tW3JSv69ExTg8-pEwQOl_pYP4ZnrklYaYWm4b5WYg

They were greeted by Lord Alyn Brune, who had the small courtyard lit with torches. The old lord insisted upon standing at the entrance and greeting every knight personally as they ascended into the castle before welcoming Aegon and his Kingsguard into his hall for feasting, the other knights would be seated at wooden tables outside in the torch-lit courtyard for their own feast. Crackclaw Point was not a rich land and feeding 100 knights for an extended period of time would put a considerable strain on House Brune, though this was mitigated by the fact that all the lords of the Point had contributed food to their Lord, seeing the Kings visit as honoring the whole region.

Aegon and Rhaenys were seated at the high table alongside Lord Alyn and his young blonde wife, Aegon's Kingsguard ate at the other smaller tables alongside Lord Brunes champions and kin, though Ser Gawen Corbray stood at attention behind the high table as he was the Kingsguard on duty.

‘’Mother have mercy there's dragons flyin about me keep.’’ Lord Alyn Brune said with a laugh.

Rhaenys smiled ‘’You have nothing to fear Lord Brune…your house is loyal…and a true friend to the crown.’’

‘’Aye…I see it as a great honor..i'm sure many of my descendents shall grow up hearin of the time the Dragon King sat in our own keep, with the Black Dread flying out in the bay.’’ Lord Brune replied.

‘’I must ask your grace…where is your sister..the one with the bronze Dragon, we were hoping to see her once more, she was kind to my people when we swore our allegiance to her at the beginning of your conquest.’’ Lord Brune continued.

Aegon nodded ‘’She wanted to be here of course…but she is pregnant with my child, and did not want to leave our young daughter unattended.’’

‘’Ah…the mother blesses you..two children in as many years….if youre of a mind to think ahead i've a grandson, we Brunes may be a bit rough a’round the edges, but we've noble blood runnin through our veins we do.’’ Lord Brune said.

Aegon had graciously turned him down saying it was too early to think of such things, in truth he had no intention of marrying off his daughter to such a minor family, but he did not wish to offend his host, and he did not lie about the latter, his daughter was not even a year old yet, far too young to even consider the future.

Once the feasting had died down, Lord Brune had ordered the main entertainment of the night to begin, a saga of songs and ballads by local clawmen bards about the storied history of Crackclaw Point. The primary focus had been on the Brothers Brune, two of Lord Alyns ancestors who had unified the Clawmen and brought peace to the region nearly 200 years prior, though only for their lifetime.

Rhaenys, who had since recovered from her discomfort of the journey was enthralled by the tales, and true to her poetic nature had even joined in the chorus of a few songs, and suggested a few additional rhymes much to the Clawmens delight, who quickly came to admire her just as much as her older sister.

The Next Morning
Hall of Dyre Den

‘’Your Royal Grace.’’ The blackhaired Septon said, bowing deeply if clumsily.

Aegon nodded for him to rise and speak.

‘’Beggin your pardon your royalship…but our small sept, which I oversee was visited some weeks ago by the crab men who came demanding taxes……though we've never had to pay taxes to Lord Brune, much less outsiders….the little coin we do get goes to helpin the orphans of those that are lost to the sea.’’ The man said, who had only introduced himself as the local septon.

‘’Crab Men?’’ Aegon said, though in truth he already knew the answer, they could only be the men of House Celtigar of Claw Isle, a small island near the point and one of the Kings original vassals, the Celtigars tracing their lineage back to minor lords in Valyria.

‘’Must be Celtigars….they often poke their noses round the point, askin for tribute and such…i've a mind to run them off each time but they always run to their ships….and ive no wish to break your peace.’’ Lord Brune mused, who had been assisting King Aegon the past few hours in holding court, with the King dispensing judgment on minor matters.

The septon nodded ‘’Aye your lordship…Celtgars…that sounds near right it does…around two dozen of them landed close by and demanded we pay them tribute….id a mind to refuse them, gather some o’ the nearby fisherfolk to resist em, but they ‘ad iron and shields while we'd only cudgels and fishing spears.’’

‘’You did well not to fight them.’’ Aegon mused, relieved that no bloodshed had occurred, the fisherfolk near the sept would have been slaughtered by the Celtigar men, who had fought in every campaign in the conquest.

‘’Well beggin your pardon your royalship…but…but they took what little silver we had, and I has a few orphans to feed, parents lost to the sea or that pox they were.’’ The septon continued, Aegon had struggled to understand the clawman accent at first but after hearing quite a few petitions he was getting the hang of it.

‘’We shall be glad to pay you for your losses, plus some extra for the children.’’ Rhaenys said with a smile. They had brought a chest of silver with them to disperse among the smallfolk they encountered.

IB5n1WimtYhYJDlk42piVHS9CkrhP56p4eGRLL4WMMfmtmvZSTCZWbTRSIsK9feslSDbHhUYbe-hYG0P164JxwMM5-L1YXwnXCKBYJNDhyPySsvOIxPQ1nFMceiSceQQ0GxZ_ZFBaqmx1ulDWQ

Aegon frowned, he was understanding of the Septons plight but as a general rule he did not like giving coin to the faith, the High Septon was one of the richest men in the Kingdoms and he was more than capable of dealing with matters such as this.

Rhaenys ordered Lord Commander Corlys to fetch the chest of silver for the septon, to which he complied.

Rhaenys promised amount of a ‘’little extra’’ was an understatement to say the least as her gift to the Septon was very generous, likely amounting to more silver than he had seen in his life.

The man fell to his knees ‘’Thank you your Queenship, this will feed the little ‘uns for years it will.’’

Rhaenys had nodded and then proposed that she go and visit these orphans to which the Septon had happily agreed to arrange the short trip later that day.

Following this petition, the old lord Brune had sighed and gotten up ‘’Nature calls your grace.’’

Aegon nodded, he too was in need of a break after hours of hearing minor petitions, he nodded to Ryam Redwyne, his squire who poured him a cup of wine.

Suddenly there was a sound from outside the keep, a shout and sounds of a scuffle, with it being apparent that it was coming from Lord Brune.

Aegon drew Blackfyre and hastily made his way to the door, Ryam Redwyne and Theo Tyrell close behind him.

When they stepped out into the courtyard, they were met with the sight of Lord Brune, standing against the keep, breathing heavily, in front of them was Ser Fredder Brune, Alyns heir and eldest son holding a man with long brown hair to the dirt, a dagger at the back of his neck.

‘’What happened?’’ Aegon demanded.

‘’He attacked me….was waiting outside the door with a knife….the warrior gave these old bones enough strength to fight him off until my boy stepped in.’’ Lord Alyn Brune said, still breathing heavily.

‘’Say the word and i'll gut ‘im.’’ Ser Fredder said, pushing the dagger harder into the man's neck, who grunted in pain.

Aegon shook his head ‘’No we need him alive….he was sent by someone…we must find out who.’’

Ser Fredder nodded and roughly pulled the man up to his feet ‘’Start talking or i'll take your eye.’’

Aegon raised a hand for silence, to which the Clawmen knight reluctantly agreed.

The King sheathed his sword and approached the long haired man, who failed to meet his eyes.

‘’Look at me.’’ Aegon commanded.

The would-be-murderer slowly looked up.

‘’You will tell me who sent you…and I shall see justice done.’’ Aegon said.

‘’Justice….’’ The man said, his eyes returning to the dirt.

‘’I shall ensure you don't die screaming…..quick…painless.’’ Aegon said.

The man was silent for a good while, weighing his options in his mind before he nodded ‘’Lord Celtigar….he promised me 20 gold dragons if I killed the Clawman lord…lots of people coming and going…was easy enough to slip in.’’

MWQGq-0ubUJM_qpi3rowtem7rZhSmbl4RcaSk-D9R-pyHUFUP5rpS8h4aO4Xi4YOtKr-C0t-TV7tUXYOt2nxpUXPbClIBld8kT_2U9sSZCojQ7dbyGr4vUJWwPVu_UQ7ThNt0tr2LyDpaH_BCw

‘’I say we send him to that bastard…piece by piece.’’ Ser Fredder said, spitting to the ground.

‘’No…I gave my word…kneel.’’ Aegon commanded, his hand going to Blackfyres hilt, the long haired man slowly went to his knees, hands shaking.

‘’Your grace.’’ Lord Brune interjected, causing Aegon to stop.

‘’The seven have been good to me…aye ive had my share of troubles…but they've been good to me….the mother teaches us to be merciful….spare the wretches life…send him to the wall…let him spend the rest of his miserable life servin the realm.’’ Lord Brune said.

‘’If that is your wish.’’ Aegon said, his hand leaving Blackfyres hilt, he took no joy in killing, and at least now the man's life would serve some small purpose.

‘’How should I respond to the lord o’crabs your grace…shall I call my banners?’’ Lord Alyn asked.

Aegon shook his head ‘’Leave Lord Celtigar to me.’’

The King did not even wait for his sister to return from her visit to the orphans, immediately riding Balerion to the Island of Claw Isle, a trip which took less than two hours.

He had landed in the center of the courtyard, diving down from above, shocking much of the garrison before Lord Celtigar came out to meet him. Aegon had then ordered the Lord into his keep, and had all guards cleared out so that he and the Lord of Claw Isle could speak alone, all but imprisoning Adrian Celtigar in his own keep.

GG4WzAmcReMcq-zFbwETe8DgFu_yH2Uocs_04PraQ6vc4CKq5kgsKVtBV4VI_hympoWUZXIz9wtz6aw4LT-2ZUNw6e0kxOW1gfgliKGpB1pouUBhEwdQJkrGJDtT-1R3-p5bj0kj7VQkHjKBhg

Aegon had then explained to the lord that he was aware of his attempt on his neighbor's life. Lord Celtigar had initially denied it but when reminded by the King that lying to one's liege was punishable by death, he had admitted it, stating that he should have been made overlord of Crackclaw point for his service in the conquest.

Aegon had decided that killing one of his oldest vassals would accomplish nothing, and instead demanded that Lord Celtigar pay a hefty ransom to free himself from his own keep, and promise never to break the King's peace again, on pain of death.

GbDDSoIxLgksA397SPJeAFZzvPeGGRiRXiyVRIV5hvYU8d9TX2p7CP6LqtMTugqAP9EdVPrBlaEnu8tCYTjAK1ZOxHx76EvdbLogAzzjXER9d9TlL7PSQch0C0ffv_0v9FaOBVd2LQhNQhnQGQ

Following this, Aegon would return to Dyre Den, where he and his retinue would remain for another week before sailing north

One Month Later
Eastmelt

MMdS5SnBPi8n-hkEAmS3QgT6DZ_LAtD0dwK_3oNcRbbefuKoKcx7jrADt_k4xY1pxSUx-y8tWw2JSlU8hbTYe4z14OSyoiEKI3qjeSC8JAA8lItBMv-qaiMvJAeuQC9j_oaTXlh6V2dA0YCDwQ

The King's retinue rode through the snow, a brutal wind in the air.

Their next spot was the tiny castle of Karlspost in Eastmelt, the seat of House Moss, a minor house which was sworn to the Karstarks of Karhold. The environment was frigid, with deep snow, poor roads, and many frozen rivers cutting across the landscape making travel slow. They had arrived in the small port of Weeping Bay the prior week, and it had taken them 7 days of slow travel to reach their destination.

There were few people in this region, at least that they had seen, but on the outskirts of the tiny stone and timber castle was a small village of lumberjacks, who had all come out to witness the Kings arrival, many of them looking into the skies with wonder and terror as the Dragons followed close behind.

Rhaenys had given the villagers a generous gift of silver as was her habit before the retinue made their way to the small keep. Aegon had not protested, these people were clearly in need of silver for Eastmelt was a harsh and poor land where nothing grew.

VwJDREsdKuDcs3JH2ALinCEj94rWimZhwZB4odvmxOfw_Efh9nKW6oJ3funRbz3HGgbghD4Jp62ZKsV4UYiHIzhya6c2iwUUc0fU-ULIiMd1nyyTrtTjQIFVtote6WI0nRGcrtY0WTm4tCdyDw

At the front of the castle was a blonde haired man about Aegons age, wrapped in a massive cloak of bearskin that covered his whole body, and even covered some of his horses, he and a few retainers rode to meet the King.

gTbekuKsXd1uiw3ZyQyxTNN95igzMPnvBUIFscbD3irUuPTzGvCpGAtVcZDTix_5AuZ4VofMOfuuCBnmL1JCk2HbAVDMLOACZaTS7xAcFw_NzRjVDJgvJXIOb_ziRiv0nCDEyvJLJKDRUAuZ7A

The man bowed his head ‘’You honor us with your presence King Aegon….i'm afraid my keep is far too small for your Knights and Squires and their horses, but Ive had a makeshift stables set up for them, and land cleared for some tents, you, your sister and your closest Knights are of course welcome in my castle.

‘’Your hospitality is appreciated lord Artos.’’ Rhaenys said with a smile.

‘’You can handle our presence?’’ King Aegon asked politely, he had known that Karlspost was a small castle but he had not been expecting to arrive in such a desolate area.

‘’Normally we could not, especially so many, but my Lord of Karhold has sent sufficient provisions, as has Lord Torrhen Stark, they see your visit as an honor.’’ Lord Artos said.

Aegon nodded, relieved, he had known that his large retinue would cause some strain among his vassals but he did not wish to bankrupt House Moss.

‘’My Queen, if I may speak freely.’’ Lord Artos said as they rode into the castle.

‘’Of course my lord.’’ Rhaenys responded.

‘’I saw your charity to the tenants of the nearby village…I admire your charity, though I must say I fear it will end up in the wrong hands soon enough.’’ Lord Artos said.

‘’Wrong hands?’’ The King asked, eyebrows raised.

‘’My lands are infested with smugglers and brigands im afraid….I have tried to deal with them as is my duty, but my people are spread out and any attempt to assemble the levy alerts these criminals, who slink into the snows when I approach, what's more I do not have the food to feed my men sustain a campaign against them for long..I fear that gold will end up in the hands of the criminals.’’ Lord Artos said, it was clear that these criminals were a major thorn in his side.

RkOvL-GEnkJ53osCrW6fHBqbYT6pvunTVfzS-qrOGfHqkNEOi5HMhqFP2KGyiB2z1xYKhBL_-oDOd0jCfexvWDAi_ocKfdNGLL3fSz_RW62_2Wte_0TsuAhBw9Qhl1D_4ogAMsreElTbx3n32Q

‘’Lord Karstark has not attempted to deal with them?’’ Aegon asked with a frown.

‘’My liege Osric is a good man, a good lord, I have known him since childhood, but Karhold is a large region and he has stresses enough dealing with his own lands.’’ Artos Moss explained.

Aegon nodded and he, Rhaenys, and his Kinsguard made their way into the tiny castle to hold court.

Two Hours Later
Keep of Karlspost

There had been fewer petitioners in Eastmelt than in Dyre Den, likely due to the smaller population, and most of the disputes centered around timber, with one villager claiming that some trees on his land had been stolen by another.

Most of the matters had been settled by now, and there was just one more petition to hear.

‘’You may approach the King.’’ Ser Corlys Velaryon nodded to the last man, who had a long black beard.

‘’Your Grace’’ The man said bowing his head ‘’I own a small holding a few miles from here, along the weeping river, the land is rich with timber and it's been in my family for generations.’’ The man began.

Aegon leaned back, he had gotten used to the rather long winded explanations of the small folks troubles.

‘’The brigands in these lands normally stay clear, as I have two farm hands I hired to keep intruders out and patrol my lands, but their numbers have increased and so has their boldness. A fortnight ago they came from the forests in the night, like devils….slew both of the men I had hired and took my land for their own…I barely escaped their wrath with my life.’’ The man said.

Aegon turned to Artos Moss.

‘’I had heard of this incident your grace, but the brigands are numerous and well armed….and I am loath to raise my men for such an expedition and leave my keep ill-defended…I have hosted the man here however…it is the least I can do.’’ Artos explained.

Aegon nodded and turned back to Galbart, the petitioner.

‘’How many men took your land?’’ The King asked.

‘’Two dozen your grace….a few of them had shields and helmets, most had clubs and spears’’ The man answered.

Aegon was quiet for a moment before turning to Lord Commander Corlys Velaryon.

‘’Cousin, step forward.’’ He commanded his Kingsguard.

‘’Your Grace?’’ Ser Corlys said, approaching the throne with a bow, his white cloak dragging over the timber floor.

‘’Take 20 knights of your choosing and drive out these outlaws so that this man may return to his home.’’ Aegon commanded.
hblhsoecknqMOTVcU8k5p87UkbiMFV18Hj99AJbMqYOEIQmuSzSD2EPitTV21vGwKHXd_QH3oSu_HB6-Ln5Hm40aP9ds_S1TQq8Adp8qD--JfzqthSAI-cIAg4nh6BHBbGZs9NUGP4-EppkzZw

‘’At once your grace.’’ Corlys nodded.

Aegon then turned to his squire Theo Tyrell ‘’Theo…you shall accompany my cousin and squire for him…it is time you witness combat firsthand.’’

Theo Tyrell bowed his head ‘’I shall represent my house well your Grace.’’

Three Hours Later
Galbarts Lands, Banks of the Weeping River

Corlys Velaryon knelt on the snowy hill, his white hair, armor and cloak seemingly making him a part of the hill itself.

Galbart spoke true The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard thought, the holdfast had around two dozen men walking around, many of them in front of a fire, where a deer was being roasted.

He quietly made his way behind the hill where hsi twenty knights were waiting, mounted.

‘’They've fortified the holdfast with a wall of wooden spikes, our horses will do us no good, tie them to the trees and leave a man with them…we attack on foot.’’ Corlys said, and his knights nodded, dismounting.

‘’Shield.’’ Corlys commanded and Theo Tyrell obliged, handing the Lord commander his large shield, painted pure white, with the seahorse sigil of his house in the middle.

He took the Tyrell boys shoulder ‘’Go and grab a sword Theo, you will be at my side….you know how to use live steel?’’

Theo nodded ‘’I know how.’’ he replied quietly to which the Lord Commander nodded his approval.

He drew his sword and nodded to the dismounted knights behind him ‘’With me….we shall give them a chance to surrender…if they do not we attack on my command.’’

The knights slowly approached the fortified holdfast, their heavy plate boots crunching through the snow.

They were spotted a while off, and the bandits within quickly got to the perimeter, armed with a collection of pikes, cudgels, spears and daggers, with the occasional rusty helmet or dented shield.

‘’What d’ ye want!’’ One of them, presumably their leader, called out.

‘’I want you to lay down your weapons….I command this in the name of King Aegon Targaryen, first of his name….lay down your weapons…and I can promise you fair trial.’’ Corlys called out, having to shout due to the high winds.

‘’Don't think we will…..call it a trial all you like….none of us’d come out of that with our heads…turn back and save yourself a bloodletting…we've fortified this holdfast.’’ The man said, drawing his sword.

‘’Wooden spikes won't save you….’’ Corlys yelled back but there was no response.

‘’So be it…’’ Corlys said quietly, drawing his own sword to which his men did the same.

The Knights charged the ramshackle fortifications of the bandits, with Corlys leading the charge himself.

One of the brigands, armed with a makeshift wooden pike thrust at the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard as he leapt over the wooden spikes, but Corlys easily guided the pike away and opened the man's neck with a slash, spilling bright red blood into the snow.

His next opponent was dressed in heavy furs with a block hood, carrying a short spear and a wooden shield. He proved to be more of a challenge than the last man.

Corlys launched a trio of strikes, all three being blocked by the bandit before the hooded man thrust his spear forward, forcing the Lord Commander to parry it, the man was surprisingly strong for a bandit.

The bandit launched two more strikes, which Corlys blocked with sword and shield before launching his own counterattack, slashing the man's arm and forcing him to drop his spear, Corlys stepped forward to deliver a killing blow but the man managed to flee, Corlys let him run…there was no honor in chasing down a fleeing man.

His knights were making short work of the bandits, though he saw one, a knight from Dragonstone take a dagger to the back of his neck.

Suddenly he realized he had lost track of the Kings squire Theo Tyrell in the fighting, he turned to his right and saw the heir to Highgarden engaged in a duel with a bandit with a pox-marred face and an iron sword, dressed in a leather jerkin. The bandit launched a clumsy strike at the 15 year old Theo, to which the squire managed to sidestep. While the bandit was snarling and cursing, the young Tyrell was silent, eyes furrowed in concentration.

Corlys, out of the main melee at this point stood at the ready, he had no intentions of letting the heir to the Reach be killed by a stinking bandit, but the boy claimed to be trained, now was his time to prove it.

The bandit let out another crushing strike, and Theo caught it upon his shield.

Theo hesitated instead of immediately counterattacking, allowing the bandit to launch a surprisingly fast attack, Theo caught it on his blade, but he got the angle of the block wrong and his blade clattered out of his hand.

Corlys decided enough was enough and was about to intervene when Theo, wielding his shield with both hands, caught the bandit on the shoulder, pushing him backwards and giving him time enough to retrieve his sword from the ground.

Theo didn't hesitate this time, charging forward and hacking the bandit just below the neck with the full length of his sword, sending blood spewing everywhere, the bandit fell on his back, gurgling blood, his eyes wide.

‘’Good…now finish him….bandit or not he need not suffer.’’ Corlys said.

Theo nodded and walked forward, raising his sword and bringing it into the bandits belly, ending the man's cries.

Corlys then turned his attention back to the main melee, which was mostly done by now, the sounds of dying men in the wind.

The leader of the bandits stood surrounded, hacking widely around him as a circle of knights advanced.

‘’Step back….he's mine.’’ Corlys commanded his knights, he would give the man a clean death.

‘’You wish to dance…you silver haired freak….fine then…i'll take at least one of ye to my grave.’’ The bandit said.

‘’You will try.’’ Corlys said simply, facing the man, his knights expanding the circle around them.

The bandit charged him, a wordless cry on his lips and hacked his sword downwards, Corlys calmly blocked the strike, using his feet to push his blade to the side after his steel met the bandits, causing the man to stumble to his feet, Corlys let the bandit get up and the dance continued.

The brigand launched an attack at the Kingsguards chest, but Corlys easily sidestepped it and launched a counterattack of his own, which the bandit caught on his sword before launching another strike, which Corlys turned away. The ringing of sword on sword could be heard as Corlys blocked yet another strike, content to let the bandit tire himself out.

Corlys, sensing the man was tiring launched another slash at his face, the bandit tried to step backwards but was too slow and the Kingsguards sword found his cheek, creating a long red gash.

‘’Bastard….’’ The man growled.

Those were the man's final words as Corlys did not waste time delivering the final blow, feinting a slash at the man's neck before turning it into a brutal thrust at the man's face at the last moment, the sword going through one of his eyes, killing him instantly.

The Knights broke out into a cheer as the bandit leader fell into the snow.

Corlys stepped back, the fatigue, which had not been present during the fight due to his adrenaline beginning to set in. He looked around, losses had been light in the assault, only one knight had been slain, the man from Dragonstone that had been stabbed in the back of the neck, but five more had been wounded, including one that would likely lose an eye.

He turned to Theo Tyrell, who was looking at the bandit he had killed.

‘’Theo, fetch my rag from my horse.’’ He commanded and the boy nodded quietly and returned soon after.

Corlys took the rag, dampened it with snow and ran it down his blade, wiping the blood and gore from it.

‘’You fought well….my cousin mentioned you were meant to observe combat for the first time…and you probably got a better taste of it then you expected, you're blooded now.’’ Corlys said.

‘’I let him disarm me….he was just a bandit.’’ Theo said quietly, hints of embarrassment in his tone.

‘’Aye…he did disarm you, but he was bigger, stronger and tougher than you….you are a good sword for your age…but remember, you haven't even seen sixteen years yet…you haven't grown into your body yet…you will….today you got a taste of what it is you've been training for….you've learned.’’ Corlys said.

‘’I won't be disarmed again.’’ Theo said adamantly.

‘’Good….now kneel.’’ Corlys said, putting the bloody rag away.

‘’Kneel?’’ Theo Tyrell asked, his eyes widening.

‘’Aye….Im making you a knight….you fought bravely.’’ Corlys said, gesturing again for the heir to Highgarden to kneel.

Theo Tyrell did as he was bid, and Corlys began the ceremony, in the courtyard, among the bodies of the dead.

‘’Theo Tyrell. do you swear before the eyes of gods and men to defend those who cannot defend themselves, to protect all women and children, to obey your captains, your liege lord, and your king, to fight bravely when needed and do such other tasks as are laid upon you, however hard or humble or dangerous they may be?’’ Corlys asked, his sword on the Tyrell boy's shoulder.

‘’I do…I swear it.’’ Theo Tyrell said quietly.

‘’Then rise Ser Theo of the House Tyrell.’’ Corlys commanded and Theo did, to the cheers of the knights around them.

9acNpIKl5uOZ0MsR5IaXIpWyNGvodBlcTFAVk3CdzQPduhH4sSob__-bP7SxHk6BS9lt8ioAAcm8GBTq6W6rmxNx2gEl5xelh57qF7abbaxX4w-6zK52Tff7QONk9AU7FP2_e3i4bhUeoh7H_A

They rested that night nearby, and returned to Karlspost the next morning, welcomed as heroes by the garrison for their heroic deeds, and Galbart was especially pleased, as he was free to return home.

Aegon was slightly perturbed that his squire had been put in such a dangerous position since if anything were to happen to him, House Tyrell and the Reach in general could be thrown into chaos, but after further conversations with his cousin, he agreed it was probably for the best that the young lord had a taste of combat before he returned to Highgarden upon his sixteenth nameday.

The Kings retinue stayed at Eastmelt for another week before heading to their next destination, the Flint Cliffs, which took them nearly two weeks of travel through the North's interior to reach. It had been a rather uneventful visit, though Rhaenys had enjoyed taking Meraxes out to sea, and the flint cliffs, which stood high above the water, had been an impressive sight.

3f2UE9jUH8yCv1KEF-znNTb6sAyGGakEaqrBTooAZakrZw_XPN2duXY5ogV5AIUz3y6KlMtUdWK4MJ-avvJaji6GfEwjOTfUFWvoJE9mQ341Oo71Flt3lU1aFFWd_6tkyBBs9NVkvOpXhkXHkQ

Following a two week stay at the Flint Cliffs, hosted by the minor house Wolfe, Aegon and his retinue had taken a ship on a short voyage to Seaguard, before riding through the Riverlands back to King's Landing. The Kings first royal progress had taken five months from start to finish, and had largely been a success, especially in the North where the Kings presence helped mend the uneasiness that had spread over the region after the Manderlys defiance.

osy-YpF6R9nGcduX-fpi0JW5jJu_tYpMEbjvlL3zsAFPLBe3YEyPn9a0a9afYzi93F9X-ZA_UpqSedo2ryLhWxyjXp-kdrMG-uxJm8ipp789u-9lnqJs9S5xo4gPwuIz2RnUISMwY2ImuVGXug

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Visenya got intrigue from the Free Cities? Sounds about right.

And the vassals are already trying to scheme against the Targaryens...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Really nice progress, it's good to see minor houses get the attention. And Set Theo is absolutely dashing XD his moustache made me think of a very inappropriate mockery in my native language (russian) about adolescent facial hair, but he is a good lad with his heart in the right place, a fine heir to a great house.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am thoroughly enjoying the story and the artwork. I am a GoT novice for I have not read a word of Martin not watched a minute of the HBO adaptation. You, @Thaiga and @Tsar Monarchist have wonderfully introduced me to the land of dragons. I visualize dragons to be the size of a football field, able to transport a platoon. Between their fiery breath and archers squad (longbow and crossbow); dragons are the greatest aerial force until WW2 bombers. My dragons are immensely loyal to their rider who hatch them and care for their needs. It would be better to wrestle with a surfeit of skunks than to be caught under a dragon on a dumping run after eating too many hot peppers.

I have no preconceived vision of Martin's canon so none of CK2's twists will shock me. CK is always fresh never a replication of history.

Thank you for sharing your vision with us.

Visenya got intrigue from the Free Cities? Sounds about right.

And the vassals are already trying to scheme against the Targaryens...
The intrigue will serve Visenya well in the future. In terms of the vassals, this plotting will continue and some vassals will fly to close to the sun.

Really nice progress, it's good to see minor houses get the attention. And Set Theo is absolutely dashing XD his moustache made me think of a very inappropriate mockery in my native language (russian) about adolescent facial hair, but he is a good lad with his heart in the right place, a fine heir to a great house.
I think the Tyrell stache runs in the family as his father has a similarly ridicuous one.

I am thoroughly enjoying the story and the artwork. I am a GoT novice for I have not read a word of Martin not watched a minute of the HBO adaptation. You, @Thaiga and @Tsar Monarchist have wonderfully introduced me to the land of dragons. I visualize dragons to be the size of a football field, able to transport a platoon. Between their fiery breath and archers squad (longbow and crossbow); dragons are the greatest aerial force until WW2 bombers. My dragons are immensely loyal to their rider who hatch them and care for their needs. It would be better to wrestle with a surfeit of skunks than to be caught under a dragon on a dumping run after eating too many hot peppers.

I have no preconceived vision of Martin's canon so none of CK2's twists will shock me. CK is always fresh never a replication of history.

Thank you for sharing your vision with us.
Thank you, glad you are enjoying it. And I can promise that there will be a lot more of dragons in future chapters, from their power(in the next power), their hatching, and their loyalty to their riders (To the point of tragedy even).

As a fan of the books I do have to do my duty and reccomend them at least once, theyre long, but in my opinion make for an exellent read.

Reactions:
Essos World Map Continued
The Free City of Braavos

The Free City of Braavos, sometimes called Braavos of the Hundred Isles, is the most powerful of the free cities. The city is built in a large lagoon where the shivering and narrow seas meet, the city's architecture built on well over a hundred islands. The city is most known for the Titan of Braavos, a giant statue at the lagoons entrance, the Iron Bank, the richest bank in the world as well as its famed bravos and ‘’water dancers’’ who fight with thin but deadly blades. The city's location means it is constantly in need of timber which it imports in huge quantities, and its main trade goods include fish and its famous dyes. The city also boasts temples to half a hundred gods, numerous ports and is famed for its courtesans.

MCj_SBcVdmQr_7DfRqSf6QlcFSkz95L2jQcY1xu7z3uUgbKGjPtIYJCrUOMJgRTlG54u-HBjeNEL3Ww_EVKzB5m--hKa6ZNYIqvVaP_BNzS9cdbSxpAJuPFWP4SvUjV3qBety0qZM3ysFHA72g
lG5HZEzi6gS2_gPaizJLYQgiWH3nnY5wgNe7qpe8-XCPOCcbqagf68AevnEBFyq9cp0caLicdxEzCBKDwWUVc9CPVCFJaEYmS5hTGSnuCaHXq7Xdf1aOZNfQZoyG-Xy1aDdLs3EsKaQDTO84Uw

THE FREE CITY OF NORVOS

mSNHHNvYUZP645eUd6wsindt40pk3ZzIgK2kX1yEyD-9-TTxaxyZXk4ShTFOb-s-7ZsQsCLCVeQ4aE23eDoIx6AZFAI2Iye7n1ebrhtaLUprsZzoJexiGzAsy831eMhAfi7JZCHtTZL_OYM_qQ

16J-KpZgg7bt6yRlAmL7MI7LXCl7iIhPiqtoBB9zsPdDhJhzJvyGPLK_LA2LKPDGtnVJ_0GIlcs5zF8rrIYPG3gqSHen2n59kz88l8DVTRJasCxergMBmhTqg_e4xqHFtcmvQ7TsuEI5YGtm0Q

The Free City of Norvos is one of the stranger of the free cities, given that it is an inland city and is ruled by a Theocracy. The free city has a Magister though in truth they are little more than a puppet to the Bearded Priests, the true power in the city. These priests are highly secretive and are the only individuals in the city that can wear beards, while most Norvoshi women shave their heads. The Bearded Priests are famed for their prowess with long axes, with many of them marrying their blades in a ceremony to show their dedication to the city. The most well known aspect of Norvoshi culture are the 3 bells, Noom, Narrah, and Nyel, which each instruct the citizens of Norvos when the correct time to undergo certain activities and actions. The Free City of Norvos are rivals of nearby Qohor, who they consider to be demon worshipers.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 8: Fire (Aegon)
4th Moon, 8001
The Aegonfort, Kings Landing

King Aegon took his seat amongst the small council, a smaller gathering then they normally had present.

While the King had been away on his royal progress, the small council had suffered a loss. Lord Alyn Chyttering, the spymaster had passed away in his sleep, the man only 47 years old. Visenya had confided that she had suspected poison at first, but Grandmaster Arlan had found no signs of it and Aegon had his doubts as well, he did not endorse plots or scheming but he had a grudging respect for Alyn, who worked hard to keep him apprised of current events, Aegon thought it unlikely the man had allowed himself to be murdered.

hfKQ5H67trtNloH6Ze6jA5hR9hKKGTKa_ahJC6xjVUxGq7rojMYjGGbxLq51-fsFoADihgl78HyyGR5cUJTLBZ4UkZVK8-PKQh2b4Csyvj2n31t15lbXk9Vbvp_tv4jOIaJkPxjd65dl62Oofw

His untimely death left the small council without a spymaster, though Visenya was preparing a list of candidates, and she still insisted on attending the meeting, despite being six months pregnant, Rhaenys had volunteered to watch Princess Nyel and was not present either.

Despite having no spymaster, Edmyn Tully as master of laws maintained an understanding of events within the realm, and Harlan Tyrell knew of some events within the free cities due to his trading connections as master of coin.

‘’Let us hear events within the Kingdoms first.’’ Aegon said, drawing a nod from Edmyn Tully.

‘’Of biggest importance is the death of Sharra Arryn…she passed away in Winterfell…natural causes im told….there will be no claimant to both the Eyrie and Winterfell.’’ Edmyn began.

KW6Ubqm9j319KAR_1a0Stuy06-qlkdcDKS2AP9vxVfFVibxu7LpEdfRUVCOz-5L7yiWH6PoxFMTiZedIr0LWu4zIKFms6PMwi2CmkoldhUWcfDvhcFCH4GxVC6NKglWOF8_1mL7YqWmmXSSVVg

Aegon nodded, he had not truly felt threatened by the prospect, and felt more pity than anything, young Ronnel Arrys mother had left him to marry the heir to Winterfell, and had never returned to her son.

‘’There has been little else of import your grace, though I hear that two of the mountain clans in the North are at eachothers throats in some clan feud, Torrhen Stark has sent negotiators to try and end the bloodshed,’’ Edmyn continued.

‘’I had expected the Ironborn to be restless, but the fact that the North has seen so much trouble was not something I expected.’’ Aegon said.

‘’Northerners are a stubborn people, and an ancient one….feuds and rivalries run deep there your grace…i'm afraid it doesn't take much to bring them to conflict. ’’ Grandmaester Arlan replied.

‘’There has been news on my end as well….the free cities are embroiled in conflict as ever…Norvos has won a trade war with Qohor, Lys and Tyrosh have completed slave raids on the Summer Islands, and Braavos has just occupied the free city of Lorath after Lorath interfered with their trade with the Vale, though I expect the city to be returned once Lorath agrees to end its business in the region.’’ Harlan Tyrell said.

‘’Norvos and Qohor being at odds does not surprise me….the Norvoshi see the followers of the Black Goat of Qohor as heretics.’’ Visenya mused, she had of course stayed in Norvos for several months.

‘’Will your Grace be wishing to tour the progress made on the red keep?’’ Harlan asked.

While Aegon had been on his progress, significant construction efforts had been started. First and foremost, another keep was being built on a neighboring hill, though it would be built with red brick as opposed to the timber hall of the Aegonfort.

The workers had rather predictably started calling the new project, ‘’The Red Keep’’ and progress had been stunningly fast, with hundreds of workers coming from all over the Kingdoms for steady pay, if back breaking work, In addition to this, a small wall was being built around Kings Landing and the seven gates of the City Watch had been fortified into actual gates.
ggOVEjuxX6x9NAn2ETBFrkPe4K8bDycDYY4y07YoIe7Qvmh1O_uXHxzywp9vrcjEmN1GMkSn1xYByqU1rFW4Et7J8FUwyuNY_KT4AGc0qb6pd6gphaRYk4AnapfrHmR6SLyDnedodz2WThtt9g

0yQnuMiS2YZiIzA4JgwtFZcbdphOmkqwfXtITooYa-KkhCWTBdnGRALsWf8K8eCVCZ49D4UUvz9fcFjEOvKpEAGmbE5tpugQpxbYBzJZ5adiXx5NrTEgx0XmNO4-pmN9L8voWAJtW-BqUWwPZg

Aegon nodded to Harlan's question ‘’Yes, arrange it for tomorrow.’’

The Red Keep would soon be habitable, but Aegon had no intentions of moving on from the Aegonfort just yet, he planned many more expansions to the keep which could take decades, and only when it was truly finished would he move his household.

‘’I think we can adjourn for today my lords…if there is nothing else?’’ Aegon said standing, causing all his councilors save Harlan Tyrell who waited behind to speak with the King and Visenya alone.

‘’Your Grace…I recently received a raven informing me of a domestic issue in my realm…one which concerns your squire….Ryam Redwyne.’’ Harlan began.

‘’The boys father…Perwyn Redwyne?’’ Visenya guessed, earning a nod from Harlan Tyrell.

Aegon and his sister were familiar with the Lord of the Arbor, he had been present at the coronation at Oldtown, and had attempted to undermine Aegons decision to name Harlan Tyrell as Lord Paramount of the Reach by trying to convince the King that he should have been given the role instead. In addition to this he had tried to barter for this role by using the vast fleet of the Arbor as leverage.

‘’There is a small isle off the Arbor with a sizable castle, called the Mermaids Palace…owned by House Goldwyne, a small house that pledges fealty to the Redwynes….in fact the two houses share distant relation going back to House Goldwynes founding’’ Harlan began.

Aegon sat silently listening to every word, he knew his master of coin would not inform him of an event that was not significant.

‘’Lord Perwyn has long coveted the isle and castle for himself….and he made his move recently…the heir to the castle, Garlan Goldwyne was a boy of six, before he was smothered in his sleep by one of the servants….when she was caught, she revealed Lord Redwyne sent her.’’ Harlan finished.

ZrKcSvQecIOsVsoJRVZjtMwvYIdGodlCZ-sCTUm48kKoj_rLtcnhXHeruUc-QIJ3ZPnbK2mnXTSzJaXTo-kV-Gy7jk5NBB2ubofdIlIFRsdqCds-ownsStqn7J-LgzSg2D35kkM5HC0uRSArHw

‘’He must be dealt with….and harshly.’’ Visenya said.

‘’Aye…but I know the boy Ryam…your squire is heir to the Arbor….I have sent word to my castellan to prepare men to take Lord Redwyne into custody…but I thought it best for you to inform the boy before I take any action….he will be a lord soon.’’ Harlan said.

Aegon nodded and summoned his squire into the chamber, explaining his fathers crimes.

Ryam stood silently as it was explained to him before nervously looking at the King.

‘’Your Grace….my fathers crime should be punished….he has shamed the honor of my house….but I ask for mercy….I ask that he be sent to the wall so that he can make something of his life.’’ The squire said, a request that took a lot of courage as the boy was painfully shy.

Aegon looked to Harlan Tyrell, who nodded his head slowly, a sign he was receptive to the idea.

‘’I shall allow your father to take the black….but if he resists than I may have no choice but to take harsher action…and he will have to answer for the murder of the boy, I mean you or your house no ill-will but Lord Goldwyne is demanding that all the lords of the realm hear of his sons murder….it will be known that Perwyn Redwyne is a murderer.’’ Harlan said.

Ryam nodded.

‘’Ryam….you will inherit the Arbor and thus become its lord….you will be a man in three years time…but you are old enough to start making decisions for yourself…I give you a choice…to remain here as my squire…or to return to the Arbor.’’ Aegon said.

The boy hesitated before nodding ‘’I will remain here with you your grace…my sister is here as well and I would not leave her alone…and my uncle Garmon Hightower serves in your Kingsguard….my family is here I have learned much from you.’’

Before Aegon could respond, the door to the council chamber swung open, Orys Baratheon in the doorway, he had not been attending the small council meeting and instead had been supervising the construction of the Red Keep.

‘’A ship just arrived at the dock Aegon…a ship bearing important news.’’ Orys said.

‘’Let's hear it.’’ Aegon said.

‘’Meria Martell is dead……her granddaughter Deria has taken the throne, and according to the trader…her position is weak.’’ Orys said, this was important news since Aegon plan for the conquest of Dorne relied upon the death of Meria the Old, who despite her blindness and age was much loved by her people.

s4oIsdtFoX6V6o62aALc03E1DeLjDfNMS51IF27hSPKAWGBt_h7IODnCP6VOKqW34Bb9lW-AzppoAic4uFFiZy3raTq2Ogk1Z4xp7dsBRZa2Z1r0lMZXQNpiJr8rNWOZY8jy90FpxeI2pHt9rA

bYP96p3d3K9xdPOYimEmz2-vPj6H4GBP0mUpM70gJ2W3KnhgIlAGbKhTuOlZyDUuxk5IyJh0IX65YdDkdpUll0QY-_TqVi7eUSDxTTWxqvqPmi7Qpp3BIfRHFLLFtzeW2tITAuP5ZLF_N6bWtg

Aegon gave a small smile, while Visenya took her brother's shoulder, Harlan Tyrells face was bone white however.

‘’It's time Aegon.’’ Visenya said.

‘’The final conquest….Orys, send out ravens to the great houses….call the banners….raise the levies of the city and Dragonstone as well, we will raise an army in the Crownlands as well.’’ Aegon said.

Visenya, ever aware, turned to Harlan Tyrell ‘’You look pale my Lord.’’

‘’Your Grace….forgive me…but my eldest daughter Jana is in Dorne right now, I have arranged a betrothal between her and Lewyn Martell…she is not to be married for a year or two but I thought it best to send her on a tour of the land she will one day call home…I fear if I raise my banners….they may kill her.’’ Harlan said.

‘’You should have told me….you knew we planned to invade Dorne…why marry your daughter ahead of the planned invasion.’’ Aegon said with some annoyance.

‘’I know your grace…but it was a proposed betrothal…not official yet…and tensions were growing on the border my realm shares with the Dornish, I felt if I did not make peace somehow then a conflict could break out with Meria Martell, one you wished to avoid.’’ Harlan Tyrell explained.

Aegon sighed ‘’I won't ask you to risk your daughter's life by joining the conquest…your banners are excused from the fighting…though I will insist you keep a force raised at Horn Hill and make sure they do not break through the passes there.

‘’As you say your Grace…I shall send ravens to prepare it.’’ Lord Harlan said gratefully.

‘’Fool.’’ Visenya scoffed when he had left the chamber.

‘’Hes served us well…and once the conquest is complete it will be good for the Dornish to be bound by blood to another one of the Kingdoms.’’ Aegon said, it would be a loss to not have the Knights of the Reach, but Dorne was not a particularly strong Kingdom and they could manage without.

‘’Aegon….you know Id like nothing better than to be at your side….cracking some Dornish skulls…but I must request that my banners are excused from the fighting.’’ Orys said, somewhat embarrassed.

‘’The pox?’’ Aegon guessed.

‘’Aye…Haystack Hall lost near 50% of its fighting men, and some other counties are not much better…I can't ask my people to fight in a war so soon after the pox has ended…though you have my word I'll keep men on the border…and ensure the Dornish don't cross the Sea of Dorne.’’ Orys explained.

Aegon was much more sympathetic to his half-brothers reasoning than he had been to Harlans ‘’Aye….your banners won't be needed…besides I need you here ruling with Visenya during the campaign…and you should be with your wife when she gives birth.’’

Orys’s wife was pregnant as well for the first time since their first child, a little girl had been stillborn, though Aegon had offered the finest maids to assist his half-brother's wife, the same women that would help Visenya give birth in a few months time.

Orys nodded a thanks and left the chamber, leaving Visenya and the King alone.

‘’You should consider being here when your child is born as well Aegon…I know you are needed to command but you could return here in two months…stay for a while.’’ Visenya said, guiding Aegon's hands to her belly.

‘’What do I do for the child for its future….the same as I do it for Nyel….but I cant return….there can be no distractions in war….If I return to the capitol to see our child…I don't know that id have the strength to go back to war…..I'll come back to you…but only when the war is won.’’ Aegon said, in truth he did wish that Meria of Dorne had died some months later so he could be at Visenya's side for the birth, he had not been present at Nyels birth either, but he had to finish what he started.

Visenya nodded, clearly not surprised.

‘’Fire and Blood brother.’’ Visenya said quietly.

‘’Fire and Blood.’’ Aegon responded.

Three Months Later
Outside the Fortress of Wyl

King Aegon sat within his tent, listening to yet another messenger prattle on about their lord's reasoning for not participating in the campaign, and while the others had been respectful, this one was almost smug, his lieges disdain for Aegon apparent just through his written word.

‘’My Lord of Lannister will not be raising his banners your Grace, he reminds you that his vassalship only obligates that he send men if the realm is attacked or faces rebellion, in wars of expansion the choice to participate is the Lord Paramounts.’’ The messenger said.

‘’Your message has been received….I trust you can make your own way back to Casterly Rock…’’ Aegon said curtly, and the lannister messenger nodded and left the tent.

The messenger spoke true, despite the Lord Paramounts allegiance to the Targaryens, they could not be forced to raise their banners in wars of expansion.

jZtCONpMdKM2zCVAmDaAnYe8fIwJql8VldOakdXWetkie75r_CXujJdc3oR92XkMkdsEgRqrMAAKYWWb0HwMURZ-k7URYfWPJcuecvzY-LAObIjH6eB2F25nHbFbngbJmSrS5zYjZ8CJ_L0kqA

The King had received many such messengers lately, he had already known the Reach and Stormlands would not be sending men, but some of the other regions were more surprising. Torrhen Stark of the North had sent a raven stating that the distance between the North and Dorne made their participation impossible, and besides that he found it unwise to leave his lands after so many minor issues among his vassals.

The Riverlands had been the most surprising, Edmyn Tully had not officially agreed or denied the Kings call to arms, instead claiming to need time to raise a force, but Aegon knew his master-of-laws well enough to know that, despite being loyal, Edmyn Tully knew his rights and felt he had contributed enough men to the Targaryen cause the past few years.

That left the Vale and the Iron Islands. Since Ronnel Arryn was not yet of age, Aegon had the right to order the Knights of the Vale to join the campaign, but the King had chosen not to do so. If he raised them, all the logistical matters of their mustering would fall to him, and not the lords of the vale, which included their feeding and pay, a logistical challenge, and besides that he didn't have enough ships on the eastern coast to transport them all at once and would instead have to do it piecemeal, so instead Aegon had decided he did not need the Vale.

Surprisingly, it had been the region where Aegon's influence was most tenuous that had been the most enthusiastic to the King's call to arms. Vickon Greyjoy had pledged 200 longships and some 15,000 men to the conquest, though Aegon was smart enough to know they were more interested in plunder and glory then they were loyal.
8vtnIJ5AErkoJ4tt6dEKvObWqyhcKtwQ1oW4VBaY19ocnLgE0i1kiOG38vAYwq0AVjzUpC0h8GZpr-zMXpbmnupLd2wKj7j6u2AaXTD8SYECIxjqNyx27fbm6pziGGHk93WburQFxww_x8ua-g

Rhaenys had wanted Aegon to refuse them, saying that the Ironborn were only joining as an excuse to rape and plunder Dorne, but Aegon, while understanding of their true motivations also understood he needed them, they were his only allies in this war and their ships would make it so that a multi-pronged invasion was possible, Aegon attacking down through the boneway from the Stormlands, and the Ironborn landing somewhere along the coast, forcing the Dornish to fight two enemies.

Aegon had a formidable host to his own credit, he led an army of some 10,000 men drawn from the Crownlands, several thousand from King's Landing, while others were drawn from the Kingswood and Blackwater Bay, though his biggest advantage were his and his sisters Dragons.

His first objective was to take the castle of Wyl, the first Dornish fortress guarding the boneway, a long narrow mountainous pass that connected the Stormlands to Dorne. He had considered burning out the garrison, but Grandmaster Arlan, who had insisted on accompanying the King shared his knowledge that Wyl had caverns underneath it that Dragonfire would not touch, and the garrison would retreat to in the event of an attack, their best course of action was to starve the castle to surrender.

05IBeC-VcYtumHbZgX0dU-NiYfrjy-J4hokuaJY4IpLVBfbYZUPp9h9zQsGbMn-xjqtCf6d1m5J_YqEhJF-g_DYijqpkiWiuPNdzrGljEEE2ne6JkQxLQeMRKzWdm6eYyg__JlSx_IduOAsx-w

In addition to this attack through the Boneway, he had tasked his cousin and master of ships Aethen Velaryon, to take 45 galleys and 1600 men, the strength of Dragonstone and capture the island castle of Ghaston Grey which the Dornish used as a prison. In truth the island had little strategic value, but capturing it meant that they would have complete control of the Sea of Dorne.

QcnVSVKVs4aClYIylEs1lZduyjiQn1MEoXZXdpxMm2df3AFFDVZBlVGXt4l-Cd82-qAeQa1LgoaICJ-rMDXDoaMNyV_H3GH0zvSal6rjOSKx1O1uUGJRrMOvaUvRScl9TlQCv9vjm8WipnXwUg

9th Moon, 8001
King Aegons Tent, Wyl

‘’In the name of Lord Walter Wyl….I do surrender the castle with the authority given to me as regent.’’ The Dornish knight said, drawing his sword and giving it to the Kingsguard Ser Gawen Corbray, a symbol of the castle's surrender.

‘’I accept your surrender Ser..on the conditions neither you or any of your garrison bear arms against my men..’’ King Aegon said with a nod. After around three months of siege the castle had surrendered, their food stores running low, the lord of Wyl was a boy of around 14, and so the surrender had been conducted by his regent, an unlanded knight called Ser Neilyn, the master of arms of Wyl.

oB0rGPr-nF1I110ui_g5EX3uYbFFFPgNeteJsB3yZCFsOwcl9bq3yKybjRwb4Mxb-_f6M6bJVX92aQD3DpSZiku__dBDUIBKyaMHel4CbBeSWjuByC1B90DeGCiNQw5C00teI_iv9ncc0DGtUA

Ser Neilyn nodded his assent and hesitated for a moment ‘’I would speak with you your grace.’’

Aegon turned to his Kingsguard and nodded, the man had given his sword and he had all his Kingsguard in the tent with him, save for Ser Stafford Lannister who he had left in the capitol to guard his pregnant sister Visenya and their young daughter.

Aegon nodded to the chair and the Knight sat.

‘’If you're coming down the boneway, then your next target is Yronwood….seat of the second most powerful house in Dorne….you won't take the castle like you took our castle…its walls are thicker and the castle is bigger, it can hold 5000 men and feed the for a year, it has wells inside the walls….they have had time to muster that amount I would guess.’’ The Knight said.

‘’And why should I believe that Ser….you refused to surrender the keep for weeks, and now you wish to aid us?’’ Aegon said.

‘’I have no love for the Yronwoods, before the young lord Walter inherited the keep I served his father Edwyle, he was not a perfect man…but he had a fine military mind…I respected that….Lord Yronwood had him poisoned.’’ The Knight responded.

Aegon nodded ‘’If you hold such a dislike of the Yronwoods, why resist my army for months, you yourself have said that they have had ample time to prepare their garrison and foodstores, if you wish for their fall the wiser move would have been to let us pass.’’

Ser Neilyn nodded slowly ‘’Perhaps you are right, your grace….but this war will end one way or another, and no matter who wins I intend to be standing at the end of it…what would my reputation be if I was known as the man that surrendered Wyl without resisting….I held out for as long as I could….none can blame me for surrendering.’’

Aegon nodded slowly ‘’I can respect that….your counsel is noted.’’

The Dornish Knight bowed his head and began to leave the tent.

‘’Ser Neilyn.’’ King Aegon said, causing the knight to turn around.

‘’I will not take you into my service in this war….but if you are standing at the end of it come to Kings Landing….I have need for Knights, especially honest ones.’’ Aegon said.

‘’I shall your grace.’’ Ser Neilyn said with a final bow, leaving the tent.

The King did not attempt to take the nearby village, his goal was to advance through the boneway, not to plunder the homes of smallfolk, people that would one day be his own, once the surrender of Wyl was attained, the King and his host rode south, to Yronwood, a formidable castle.

Two Weeks Later
Castle of Yronwood

Aegon, Rhaenys and his Kingsguard rode towards Yronwood, the Dornish mountains on their side.

It was easy to see why House Yronwood was the most powerful house in Dorne save the Martells, the land, unlike most of Dorne, was forested, with many rivers snaking through the mountains, the land rich and fertile.

The castle was made of gray stone, with high thick walls and several round drum towers, the main entrance was guarded by a massive Iron Gate with bars several feet thick, the battlements were teeming with men and it became clear that Ser Neilyns claim the castle could hold 5000 men was no exaggeration.

Suddenly the massive iron portcullis slowly opened, the sound being heard at a great distance, once it had opened a group of men rode out, all armed and armored, one of them carrying the banner of house Yronwood, the yellow and black gate fluttering in the wind.

At the forefront was a man about Aegon's age armored in steel, a yellow and black cloak on his back, his hair obscured under a metal helm with white cloth wrapped above the nasal, though the man's piercing blue eyes were visible even at a distance.

‘’It is customary to bow before ones King….but since you are on horseback we shall dispense with that…I shall take your surrender now my Lord.’’ Aegon said as the Yronwood retinue approached.

‘’I am no Lord….and you are no King of mine……I am Ser Cletus Yronwood, my fathers heir, and I have been tasked with the defense of this castle….go back the way you came and perhaps you and your whore of a sister will survive.’’ The man said spitting to the side, his voice stern as steel.’’

2I20d17Kk02JTM_ShE8Hj9YV_vslXLB8-fqGl24Cs68zkwemfnOHEqhOerCgQFwK1QMMq9PE0jHAv3zz14f5KFgAi-Yp6wSJBBhwBr1NMb1Y1UupVTltMlDq4t9r7k7PuWjDR7Sztg-KoQZISA

‘’You will watch your words…’’ Aegon began but Rhaenys put a hand on her brothers shoulder to calm him

‘’I shall forgive your insult my lord…in the interest of resolving this matter quickly…surrender the castle and you have my word you and your family shall be able to leave in peace, your garrison shall be treated fairly as well.’’ Rhaenys said in a conciliatory tone.

Ser Cletus was silent for a moment and then spit to the side again ‘’And why would I surrender you foreign bitch….I have the castle provisioned and prepared to withstand a siege for years…enough food to feed 5000 men for however long it takes for reinforcements to arrive and drive your abomination of a brother back to the Stormlands….you will be crushed between the army of Dorne and my garrison'’

Aegon was not a man used to having such brazen insults directed at him or his family, much less to his face, and it was only Rhaenys’s hand on his that allowed him to keep it together.

‘’You are lucky that I abide by the laws of the land….if you were not under the flag of truce you would pay for those words Ser.’’ Aegon said curtly.

Ser Cletus was silent at that, his piercing blue eyes meeting the Kings.

‘’Ser Cletus…I have no doubt you have prepared your castle well for a siege…but it is all for naught…there will not be a siege.’’ Rhaenys began.

‘’Then you are more fool than I thought….you have less than 10,000 men, you cannot hope to take the castle by storm….but by all means try…doom your bastard men to a battle they cannot win.’’ Ser Cletus responded.

‘’You misunderstand Ser…we have two dragons, if you insist on following this path it will be you who is dooming your men to dragonfire….you can prevent this…surrender the castle and you will be treated fairly.’’ Rhaenys said, almost pleadingly.

‘’Aye…I know of your Dragons….look upon the battlements….I have half a dozen Scorpions…you fly your beasts anywhere close to the battlements and you will be shot from the sky.’’ Ser Cletus said, gesturing to the six huge wooden crossbows positioned on Yronwoods walls.

‘’Your arrogance is the same that Black Harren showed in Harrenhal, I trust you know of what happened then Ser.’’ Aegon asked.

Cletus shook his head ‘’Black Harren did not have scorpions.’’

‘’If you think you can kill our dragons with….’’ Aegon continued before Ser Cletus interrupted him.

‘’You…and your dragons can go fuck yourselves….you say there shall be no siege…than you are more than welcome to throw yourselves at my walls…come dragon or siege tower….you will die.’’ Ser Cletus said, nodding to his men who rode back to the castle, kicking up a cloud of dust.

‘’He has left us no choice.’’ Aegon said, looking at Rhaenys.

His sister nodded sadly ‘’They will surrender….once they see enough Dragonfire….we need not kill all of them.’’

The King nodded ‘’It's not my intention to….I see no point in delaying what must be done….we attack within the hour.’’

Rhaenys nodded and left to prepare as Aegon went to his tent.

He was met by Ryam Redwyne, who began putting on his armor, heavy plate of shining silver, with ruby and onyx in the shape of the dragon on the chest. The armor was too heavy to fight on foot or horse with, even for Aegon, but it would serve on the back of the Dragon.

‘’How do you mean to avoid the Scorpions your grace.’’ Lord Commander Corlys asked , his role would be to lead the ground troops outside the castle, once Yronwood had its share of Dragonfire, he would enter the castle and accept the surviving garrison's surrender.

‘’We will fly straight down into the center, obscured by the sun, then we'll destroy the scorpions, one by one…they won't resist long after that.’’ Aegon answered, as Ryam placed a heavy plate helm on his head.

Corlys nodded ‘’You will succeed cousin.’’

One Aegon was armored he left his tent where Rhaenys was waiting, garbed in lighter armor of black leather and scales.

‘’Fly high….out of range of their arrows and throwing spears, Scorpions shoot slowly but they will focus their fire on us….don't ride in a straight line….and most importantly we must stay spread, if we ride close together it will be easy to hit us.’’ Aegon said as they walked towards their Dragon, who true to their nature seemed to sense they were needed.

Rhaenys nodded, her normally cheerful and lighthearted attitude replaced with a serious one ‘’I shall take the scorpions on the right battlements, you take the ones on the left and center.’’

As Aegon approached, Balerion lowered his head and neck, allowing Aegon to climb on, Aegon had not ridden Balerion in combat since the Field of Fire, more than two years prior, but the memories of the battle came back to him now.

‘’Fire and Blood.’’ Aegon said to Rhaenys, who had mounted the silver Meraxes, his sister nodded and together they flew towards the sky.

YyQKTLc6ebKXcwbrHjbDaooVo33EKR_1sfbiq7QnCTUBMR_XrIZOuzUhQrJyoZbobfiEl1QLPS1IVsUJ4HNCMpmKiziug1Woc1SBbRn2BoMMqHmXOkuFKPYKKyxveuu6lb0DBeA34RJBnTQn2g

Aegon could hear the shouts of Yronwoods garrison running to their battle stations as he commanded Balerion to fly into the air with his whip. They flew straight up into the sky, hundreds of feet into sky, hurtling vertically towards the sun, with Rhaenys and Meraxes following at a distance.

Around twenty feet away, Aegon saw a scorpion bolt flying high into the sky, eventually losing power and falling harmlessly to the ground.

The King continued his flight straight into the air before, sensing the time was right, ordered Balerion down, the wind screaming as they cut through the air in a downward spiral, the sun at their back.

He heard shouts from below as well as the whistling flight of arrows, but he forced himself to ignore that, he needed complete concentration. He heard shouts of confusion from below as the garrison tried to

The courtyard of Yronwood came into view, Balerion hurtling straight down towards it, the thrum of a scorpion being fired was heard and Aegon ordered Balerion up suddenly, putting him level with one of the sidewalls as well as one of the scorpions, its crew desperately trying to reload it, but it was too late.

‘’Dracarys.’’ Aegon commanded and the entire wall was bathed in flame, the scorpion being set alight as the men on the wall shared in the flame, many jumping or falling to their deaths off the wall to escape the fire.

reEfQjphMIM-K08DjW-3SfA5UaNP8wdrk3VT16EISEiwIQ5T_dkEMoyXtwtDkmh0JCVoYxqqSecr02j3FwIJSRE3cs5oyLcZJl7S6YD6kRZyXabFTIcgDuD72vsSmgmAszbgDRc8n1UApsFzEw

He allowed himself a quick look to the side and saw Rhaenys had taken out one of the Scorpions on the other side, dozens of men screaming in pain.

He flew across the courtyard, Balerions wings blocking the sun as the Dragon let forth another stream of fire on a group of men, several arrows clattered harmlessly off of his side, Aegon spotted a group of archers and soon they too were bathed in flame.

By this point most of the Scorpions had been destroyed, but there was one left, sitting atop a large stone tower that could only be the keep, Aegon ordered Balerion forward, the Dragon dodging an incoming scorpion bolt.

As they got closer, Aegon could make out the face of Ser Cletus Yronwood, with his squire and brother close behind, all screaming for the scorpion to reload, but it was too late for them. Aegon looked at Cletus as he flew closer, a look of defeat in the man's pale blue eyes as he accepted his fate.

Balerion bathed the entire towertop in black-red fire and where there had once been a large group of men now there was only flame, only the screams proof that men had once been there.

5yB9_5lOHxTM14oSpHajA5V-0EWvdrhDuudzSGliqoyeIlMdDvE_tEM96RzNSRl45ynxoJHm4badpesje2NeX9SEt56jo3XfpcXoLD9G_hxZINh74lHtc1D-hfGf2koTcbFFmxEkYe8M7V-s4w

It was then that tragedy struck. The Scorpion on top of the tower, burning and on fire, plummeted down to the courtyard below….right in front of the entrance to the keep, obstructing the door.

Smoke was everywhere, and as Aegon flew around, he saw that a fire had started in the keep too, causing its inhabitants, mostly women and old men to crowd around the tower window for air, likely the court and family of the Lord of Yronwood, unable to escape due to the fallen scorpion.

‘’AEGON….WE HAVE TO SAVE THEM.’’ Rhaenys shouted, turning Meraxes around and flying towards the burning tower.

‘’THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO….IT'S GOING TO FALL.’’ Aegon yelled back, an arrow flying just feet away from his face, if Rhaenys attempted to help them, the tower, which was severely damaged by the huge scorpion falling could fall down and strike Meraxes from the air.

Rhaenys ignored him and with a determined look flew towards the smoking tower, in the window among the crowd, a gray haired woman was standing, holding a toddler out into the air, screaming for help.

Rhaenys had Meraxes position itself to fly alongside the side of the tower, holding out her hands to grab the child, Aegon, seeing his sister was not going to listen to him, ordered Balerion towards the tower to help.

Rhaenys was about twenty feet away from the tower, one arm outstretched to try and grab the toddler as she passed by, but she was too late.

The tower fell, its foundation cracked and broken by the scorpion's impact from falling from the top.

Rhaenys shouted a scream of horror, and Meraxes was just barely able to get out of the falling towers path. The tower hit the ground with a massive crash, sending chunks of stone everywhere, a cloud of dust overtaking the entire courtyard.

7HanhkTAh20K6OBpDB-K2UxyXFFlsYsSLebrZGhNTkUcki5F36w0oPwa0iB92HdE6kPYx-iVpSvP-fdN5N_rJ6cER6aTwEFeuQ-1Cjs4HQThwlV3wFyFZV2aiIgj0murXU1EfJsApL7Pd7TUiw

qvtIixhYD4bztXz5ls7MA5jdKP-DH21MJYgFRrfUKn4VvIZ-PCjJPZjXDc6_tevUZCimklbf-k8M3KV1HTV1st38tgvMvlqz2hLNoW6S6cMIcMZOMYV64l4klNSSkonyx36alkbQSeNMd9-c0g

The fall of the tower marked the last resistance inside the castle, as the surviving garrison laid down their weapons and opened the gate for Corlys Velaryons forces.

Aegon ordered the tower's rubble to be searched for survivors, but he knew it was hopeless, none could have survived the towers fall.

In the space of an hour, House Yronwood, the second greatest house in Dorne, a house that claimed ancestry to the first men thousands of years ago was all but destroyed, with most of its members perishing in the tragedy, save for the elderly lord Yronwood who was with the main Dornish army, as well as his sisters who were married off to other houses, and whose children were not Yronwoods.

In addition to the deaths of the Yronwoods, two local lords, Mors Jordayne and Castos Toland, the spymaster and master-at-arms of Yronwood would also perish in the flames, Mors in the tower and Castos upon the battlements. Even the Yronwoods maester perished.

z9KLxXZovbDPeCkVL7y41PHmJmqFKVTupx2B-mYWPQRRFC-prRol0dLhPj4r_HkrlPOJcpUX53z1Er8tW5VAIB4IJbPf1ARy9P1HEcJV2gBpqrH7KYZTZXnjF85e8TYqBXFwXEEpG0SbIfQ3EQ
yktiDHrHM1jDe_S51PjYUhrAjJBu67Xu_B8uYEesuqgfWg6jciu8qPrsy9J_MnKCByOZ0dAohO4ucyvJG2li9y6C8St1ryJkCfpRZXV9Ldrm3_v1OwFi87JcEHboqrTfKnRw9SYGCY6R7Uor8A

Rhaenys would be devastated and horrified at the destruction they had reaped upon House Yronwood, and would be inconsolable for days, walking among the ruined tower looking for the child she had failed to save.

The only saving grace, slight as it was, was the fact that Grandmaester Arlan had been present and had watched the tragedy unfold. He would record the truth of the event, the histories would always refer to the burning of the Yronwoods as a terrible accident and not the work of a tyrannical and murderous King. Arlan also did his best to treat the surviving garrison, many of whom were badly burned.

qK5RqkUM6yRSPfjf--OpAMbo8Kwv6Ac8iHAFoFRRyI-1_01uJoEHxq-XX_VlZHzW-TfEnYg5N4UW-7oEKXIL8CwSrMbjl45ZvkMlAq-W0vhLp9jK7op9UuOaQHkTp8TWwAbZMioFM6dchp7_dw

The Dornish, as one would expect, were furious when they heard of the burning of Yronwood, and throwing all caution into the wind, abandoned their plans for a defensive war and marched their host to meet Aegons army outside the smoking castle of Yronwood, where a great battle would soon take place.

rw3P-zKc2lg82xGrztdMAx7zzKgZ_OMJFBY0ibMWOujoJ7Cauz4r778kSSJ0xCuCjxF0gUzWv7cv4MP8YX2Ls7V0ogQvFomIQDmyjZSjivtQChnUZ8VdnfuiHoAiuQ3CeLEAqkXs8jJjk0XBrQ

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: