• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some major clashes on the horizon. Good update.

Rensslaer said:
Also at the end of August, Gaius Caninius Rebilus (Dux of Histri) chose to sacrifice his personal fortune to raise another legion. Thus armed, Labeo chose to march against Marcus Tullius Cicero, who held down Liburni with only two cohorts.
Hmm, but how long will you be able to keep Liburni with all those Legions marching from Greece?

Wow, I think someone is lucky with their dice rolls :D

Glad to see that you are blockading, by chance do you have the National Idea with increases blockading efficency?

Time to push on - you relaly don't want them to build up too much.

A feint that turns into a roaring victory, excellent! Is that -1 modifier given thanks to crossing a river?

Presumably that Cicero is the Marcus Tullius Cicero? If so he should be a pushover! Pretty much the position he had briefly in reality at the beginning of the civil war IIRC, though in Campania I believe.

Encarta98 said:
Presumably that Cicero is the Marcus Tullius Cicero? If so he should be a pushover! Pretty much the position he had briefly in reality at the beginning of the civil war IIRC, though in Campania I believe.

It is he, lets hope he is a pushover! The Pompeian's seem to making good ground in southern Gaul, and Caesar really needs to get to Rome..

Berrrie said:
Some major clashes on the horizon. Good update.

Hmm, but how long will you be able to keep Liburni with all those Legions marching from Greece?
Thanks! I'm not so convinced they can blow through me as easily as many might think. One thing I've tried to convey in the Strategy Guide, the Tactics Guide (CE-only) and my AARs, is that a small army is not pre-destined to be impotent. I've seen small armies have an impact in combat far beyond its size, many times. We'll put up a fight, and if we lose that, we'll make another stand further up the coast.

comagoosie said:
Wow, I think someone is lucky with their dice rolls :D

Glad to see that you are blockading, by chance do you have the National Idea with increases blockading efficency?
No, I'm not normally a heavy blockader, and so I've not chosen that one. I haven't even looked, yet, to see how much money this is generating. Not alot, I'd expect. But perhaps enough to be a drain on their economy. Some of these are not poor provinces!

stnylan said:
Time to push on - you relaly don't want them to build up too much.
I know! Having failed the first time around, I really can't afford to fail again. Must push through, or there will be no hope.

Estonianzulu said:
A feint that turns into a roaring victory, excellent! Is that -1 modifier given thanks to crossing a river?
I believe so. There are rivers all over in this game, so it's hard to attack without such a negative modifier.

Encarta98 said:
I would assume that is the guy! I like hearing the famous names thrown in there in these major battles. It really gives them life.

English Patriot said:
It is he, lets hope he is a pushover! The Pompeian's seem to making good ground in southern Gaul, and Caesar really needs to get to Rome..
I agree! Got another push coming up -- we'll see how that goes. And another major clash, shaping up... soon to be in the news!

Thanks for reading, everybody! Another update soon, I hope. I may try to play some today, and then update tomorrow.

Rensslaer

it can be still seen that this is not version 1.2... :D
IRL... there were only like 5 major clashes, and war was over.
IRL romans didn't like killing romans.
But here it is computer. :)
And it wants pixel blood. :p

but anyways... lets hope that you get more support from the nobles than he enemy does... or in the end will be less happy for you.... and where are your assasins? :confused:

Hehe, cicero as a commander, what a joke. He was famous for being a terrible military man.

Lord Strange said:
Hehe, cicero as a commander, what a joke. He was famous for being a terrible military man.

Well... he beat some revolt. Which had a worser organisation than his army. :rofl:

But maybe it is some other Cicero?

It is great to see victories for your side also and not just for the Senate. I guess it has to be admitted that you got a little lucky, but then again a victory is a victory no matter if it is a lucky one or not.
Although Cicero might not have been a military genius in real life one never knows how he will turn out in this story, I think the worst think you can do is underestimate any of the enemy’s commanders. Still I am confident that we shall see more victories in the future, you might have won in Gaul/Spain, but it is Rome we want…

Cicero is much better known for his contributions to Latin grammar and vocabulary than his tactical skill. He was also a much respected Senator and voice in the Roman aristocracy. One of my favorite quotes about writing (letters, reports, essays etc.) is (sometimes) attributed to Cicero (and many others as well): If I had more time, I would have made it shorter.

Rensslaer: Setbacks can never be taken as predictive of the future, else the whole cause will become demoralized, and lost. .. We soldier on…

and that is a key to success ! ! ;)

Rensslaer:
...Caesar’s navy has now deployed across most of the length of the Adriatic Sea, in three groups, blockading no fewer than 7 loyalist ports.

awesome ! ! :D

excellent update ! !
:cool:

Cotta and Pictor have joined forces at Picenum (also shown in this screenshot are the results from Pictor’s battle mentioned last update at Umbria – just a few days back, as you can see from the log).

Umbria.jpg

But now 3 legions were descending upon Cotta and Pictor’s two, from two directions – Rome and Samnium.

Moreover, our navies now inform us that Crassus has gathered more than 40 cohorts against us in Greece, ready to march north and attack our legion in Illyria, under Sextus Labeo. He almost cannot be expected to survive such a conflict. But, in the meantime, he has vowed to march south and eliminate the small garrisons along the Adriatic coast.

AssAquit.jpg

We quickly retake Aquitani from the Loyalists, as Verres retreats. Gradually, the bulk of our armies make their way south toward the Pyrrenes.

At the end of September, Caesar again does battle with Longinus, with much better fortune this time! That Omen may be helping, some, even if it wasn’t very helpful in his last battle. Even outnumbered, Caesar inflicts serious casualties.

MuchBetter.jpg

Meanwhile, the siege at Picenum is starting to take hold… Which is impressive, actually, as this is a level 3 fort, with a garrison of 3,000!

Caesar’s legions laid cohort after cohort of Loyalist infantry low. But Gnaeus Lentulus’ arrival from Umbria with a full legion on Caesar’s flank ended all hope of victory. Caesar ordered a withdrawal to Liguria to rest and regroup.

5000.jpg

For the second time, would-be usurper Julius Caesar was turned back from Etruria. He still commanded an impressive force, and had great talents in his military field, but the myth of an unsurpassed military genius was beginning to fade. Despite the defeat, however, he left 5,000 loyal Romans dead in the fields as he receded.

Of small cheer to the rebels was news of a victory at Liburni, where Cicero and half his enemy force was turned back.

Liburni.jpg

Undaunted by news of defeats from the front (he could never have learned of the Illyrian success yet), and mindful of the enormous armies bearing down upon his province, Gaius Caninius Rebilus chose to, again, raise another Legion to further the aims of the rightful Consul. He retained faith in his good friend, and surely also considered the benefits of being such a faithful ally to Caesar in victory… Or perhaps even the rude treatment he could surely expect at the hands of a victorious Senate!

Rebilus might be quite a powerful man by the end of a successful civil war, as he would have 2 full legions personally loyal to him, and to him alone!

Rebilus.jpg

In mid-November, however, those 3 legions from Rome and Samnium arrived at Picenum, and began trying to prize Pictor and Cotta away from the city. The skill of Caesar’s generals was palpable, as whole cohorts began to fall during each day of combat! The battle was a rout for the Loyalists, and was completely unexpected by all observers.

Notice that 29 cohorts (4 or 5 legions) have just arrived in Bonoinia, and have commenced an assault. Despite Rebilus’ generosity and Pictor’s good fortune, it could not be said that the balance of forces was tipping in Caesar’s favor!

I see that you decided to get a new version in the middle of october... :)
maybe you will not lose that badly this way.
But you're still a master of war, as a milanese empire shows. :p

I, too, am glad for the "white" change. Keep winning those lopsided victories and make the Loyalists pay for their affrontery!