• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
3. Chapter: Countering the pincers
15.4. - 21.4. 1941

A little bit of history:
Beside the tanks, the Ariete also posesed some armored cars, mostly for reconnaissance AB 41 and some self propelled guns in the form of semovente 75/18 which proved to be more than useful, especialy when firing HEAT (penetrating up to 80mm at 500m) at taking out the M3, M4 but this tank was in even shorter supply than the already scarce Italian supply chain (260 in total).

wm1hxi.jpg

The 75/18 was the only Italian tank that was feared by the Allies in Africa.

On the 10th of June 1942, during the battle of Gazala, the British launched an counterattack against the Ariete, M3 Stuart and M3 Grants were used against the M13/40 and the semovente 75/18. The Brits lost 5 M3 Stuarts and 15 M3 Grants, while the Ariete only 2 M13/40. This show how effective the semovente really was.

800px-Ariete_tank_division_on_the_attack.jpg

The Ariete on the move

To the game:

o79emr.jpg

15th of April, at 10:00 our artillery opened fire and we started our attack for Ra´s at Tin in the evening

We are forcing the 7th armored division, we are just pocking at their defense, to see if there are any weak spots, non have been discovered in the first couple of hours. The next morning we were awaken by the roar of our bombers flying ahead. They were carpeting the British. Just a couple of hours later "Brescia" division joined us in the attack.

ejy4ad.jpg

The 2nd Armored are heading towards east, through the gap, while some units are coming in from the west

qznqdk.jpg

17th of April marked the end of the battle

British_Cruiser_Tank_A13_In_Tobruk.jpg

Both us and them lost some tanks, but the battle was not that costly

2017-05-01-seaside-boarding-house-ed-ovenden-109.jpg

On the 18th, we finally reached the sea in late afternoon, the pincers are closed!

On the 19th as we dug up defensive lines, we could see the explosions in the distance, it was the Pavia and 5th light division, who were pushing back the 9th Australian division.
Infantry.jpg

The next day Brescia joined us just for lunch, but we couldn´t finish it

b8075d.jpg

as we got attacked by the Australians trying to break out

c058fa49705f3e97231afa381f1b1034.jpg

At 4 AM on the 21st we saw flashes from the west, we were being attacked on both sides!

2v8hjcw.jpg

11ru2k4.jpg

the 8th Bersaglieri regiment volunteered to counter the threat from the east by the 2nd Armoured Division

Can we hold them back?​

Last edited:
Following one Italian Armoured Division in their Fiats around Northern Africa, seems like a good premise for a great story... Also, that was the perfect video clip for this AAR. Count me in.
Welcome aboard! :) Hopefully the FIATs in this game will perform better than in real life

An exciting envelopment battle there, with twists and turns! The new British armoured division has turned up just in time for them - but will it let their comrades (or some of them anyway) escape that pocket you have fought so hard to create?

Well actually I was very angry because the 2nd Armoured Division managed to break out, as you can see there are already consequences to this :rolleyes:

Good luck with this fine idea.
Thank you mate, actually I plan to do such a thing on a wider level one day :)

If you want to move quickly have the other armour and the mots as follow ups not the infantry.
I know, but I want them to be as they are, also the HQs are a mess, but this way it at least represents a little bit more challenge, let´s say that this is to compensate lack of supplies in the real campaign in Northern Africa;)

The sea! But now to withstand the counter-attack.

Looks like you will hold out for now. The British will be in big trouble if they lose all the pocketed troops.

The sea! But now to withstand the counter-attack.
Now the Ariete should show that it also knows how to defend :cool:

Looks like you will hold out for now. The British will be in big trouble if they lose all the pocketed troops.
Indeed but they managed to rescue the 2nd Armoured, though they sent it the 6th Infantry Division, AI logic :p

Looks like the rest of the Italians are preparing to count-flanking-attack the surrounded troups.
They are but very slowly as the infrastructure is pretty bad. :)

I am sorry that there are no new updates but I have to take a study break, but hopefully in less than one month I will be able to bring back updates and even start a new proper AAR! :)

STUDY BREAK IS ACTIVE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!!
Regular service will be resumed ASAP!

I am sorry that there are no new updates but I have to take a study break, but hopefully in less than one month I will be able to bring back updates and even start a new proper AAR! :)

No worries. One presumes there are likely exams at the end of this period of study, or something similar. Presuming that is the case, good fortune in those.

A common requirement for our student authAARs - good luck with it all. :)

I vaguely remember that studying thing ... in a previous millennium ...
Well I still have very vivid memories from the previous weeks, but it is over now fortunately, so I can continue my AAR :)

That's one nicely detailed tactical AAR :)
Indeed it is and now it is time for it to go on :)

For everybody else, I am back, the exam period run out of exams! Let´s get on with this, shall we? :cool:

This is certainly completely different from the usual fare in this corner of AARland! Always nice to see the Italians well-represented in combat. Historically, the men fought well enough but were let down time and again by poor leadership and the whims of Il Duce. I look forward to seeing how this campaign turns out!
Since you mentioned it, here is a video that explains how it came to that, also the whole video is worth watching if you like ww2 history/military.

Welcome back Lautipus! Looking forward to the resumption. :)

A bit late to this AAR. But really nice work and a very interesting setting. My question would be (as I don't know this scenarion), do the british receive any additional reinforcements and new divisions, when they perform as poorly as they do currently?

Otherwise, nice tactical manoeuvre! Congrats on that.

Due to me finally buying HoI4 and getting a job during the summer I totally forgot about this little AAR of my, also I was not active on the forums. Since my motherboard died and I had to change it and reainstall the windows the game files are lost, I am sorry for that, but I can tell you that it was a quite easy game after making a pocket at Ra´s at Tin there were only 2 or 3 british divisions left which I forced over the Suez Canal. :) I will most likely start a HoI4 AAR so if you are interested in that keep an eye there. I am once again sorry for not delivering this to the end but I think that 2 completed out of 3 AARs is not bad, but it could be better. :p