• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Election 63
Dear Friends: Spain, Savoy, KoJ
Friends: Bosnia, Bulgaria, Wallachia, Transylvania
Adversaries: Austria, Ottomans, Genoa
Enemies: Vijanyagar
Peace
Austria: Force Vassalize
I agree with senator Vendramin regarding Savoy. Annex and release all vassals with non-Italian culture.

/Aureo Barbarigo

Code:
Election 62
1. Smyrna
2. Judea (release)
3. Sochi

Code:
Election 63
1. Hungary, Poland, Savoy
2. Bulgaria, Bosnia, Russia
3. OE, Austria, Portugal
4. Genoa, Indian States
5. Peace
Austria: Get Steiermark if they attack, don't force-vassalize yet

Fellow Senators, Esteemed Doge,

I don't have much to say. I will only emphasize the advantages of taking the province of Sochi in this war. While not the richest province, it will make another war with the Ottomans easier as there will be one less front to worry about. And a succesfull Ottoman raid on Kerch would cost us a lot.

The same thing is true about the province of Steiermark if we find us in another war with the evil Habsburgs. We don't want their armies near our great city.

Genoa delenda est.

So one can just come in and vote? Cool.
Code:
[u]Election 62[/u]

-Smyrna
-Trebizond
-Judea/release
Code:
[u]Election 63[/u]
Dear Friends: Savoy, Spain, Netherlands.
Friends: Bosnia, Bulgaria, Russia
Adversaries: Austria
Enemies: Genoa, Ottoman Empire
Peace
Force-Vassalize Austria
Diplo-Annexing Savoy would have to be followed with releasing Switzerland and Baden at least. We'll probably have some problems with Alsace and Savoy would be a burden for us as we wouldn't be able to release them.... So I think we shouldn't be too quick about annexing Savoy for gaining nothing but Emilia. Remember, Emilia is isolated, and thus can always rebel. Savoy is needed as a shield against threats that may emerge from the current chaos in France.

Welcome aboard almoravid. Yes, you can just come and journey with us and watch the proceedings and vote as you think best (by the way, I agree with your assessment of Savoy). You may just pop in and vote when we have issues (about once a week or so). Or you may come in often for our ongoing conversations. And, as Oranje Verzet stated, you can role play if you wish. You don't have to, some "Senators" have just stayed with their EU forums name. But there is a list that Fodoron has of all the royal families if you'd like to assign yourself a name. Its just for fun of course and totally up to you. When we speak in our names, most of us use italics just for effect. Again, its totally just for fun.

So, welcome aboard Senator Almoravid. Feel free to pick up a family name (there are several that have never been picked) or not. Enjoy your stay here! [edit--here is the thread [thread=189942]list of Venetian families[/thread] this is the first post in an "Invitation" thread of Fodoron's.]

Cornaro_G.gif

Well said Senator Almoravid; I think your assessment of the situation in north Italy and as it pertains to our old enemies in old Gaul is strong. I too am perplexed as to why we would want to attempt to vassalize and annex our new friend. We have just spoken at length to the point that we need to attempt to better our reputation in Europe. Taking land when attacked by infidels is one thing; taking land that is not ours would be pure aggrandizement. Let us keep Savoy close and protect them with our known reputation of military strength. They will consistently serve as a buffer for us and also pose a challenge for our newer enemy, the Hapsburgs should they attempt to come around for another effort against us.

Last edited:
Dear Senators,

Your mandate is clear.

Election 62. Peace negotiation with the Ottoman Empire

-Request Smyrna and keep it (9/9 votes).
-Request Judea and release as vassal and ally Kingdom of Jerusalem (7/9 votes).
-Request Trabzon and keep it (5/9 votes).

I will immediately inform the Ottoman ambassador.

Election 63. 1589-1599 International relations.

Dear Friends: Savoy (8/8 votes), Spain (7/8 votes), K. Jerusalem (4/8 votes)

Friends (with carry over): Bulgaria (8/8 votes), Bosnia (8/8 votes) and Transylvania, Wallachia, and Papal States (5/8 votes)

Adversaries (with carry over): Genoa & Ottomans (8/8 votes), Austria (7/8 votes), (Portugal 4/8 votes)

Enemies: Vijayanagar (4/8 votes)

Peace was decided (7/8 votes)

We will try to vassalize Austria if attacked again (7/8 votes)

It is time to update once more the list of colonels for random leaders in our army. As you know I am absolutely honest with the names brought up by the computer. If you don't see yours is because it did not show up. The only exception is when the same name appears in two armies in the same theater of operations. Then I split the army to get a new name randomly to avoid the same colonel commanding several regiments at the same time for confusion issues.

As we are releasing the Kingdom of Jerusalem as a vassal country to guarantee free passage to Holy Land for all Christians, our vassal kingdom needs a king.

The Signoria has decided to name one of our senators King of Jerusalem, with the same status that Catherina Cornaro enjoyed as Queen of Cyprus. He shall be named Son of St. Mark, so la Serenissima Repubblica de Venecia will be her heir. The signoria expect him to last about 20 years. We will choose only the wisest of our senators, so their administrative, diplomatic and military capabilities will be good (7). As it is a crusading state, the king will lead his armies into battle as a monarch with decent stats. Obviously our Republic will have to provide finantial and military support to ensure the viability of a crusading state surrounded by hostile muslims. The king of Jerusalem will continue being a senator with full rights, but will be able to address the Consiglio with insider information when something important happens.

The Signoria has decided that the first King of Jerusalem will be Aureo Barbarigo, because his troops were the ones that liberated the Holy Land. When he dies, in about 20 years, another active senator will be chosen absolutely randomly, on the condition that he had been active for the past four months. Our Republican system guarantees the cleanliness of the process.

Aureo Barbarigo will be invested as King of Jerusalem by the Pope (our vassal) in a ceremony that will take place at Rome, with assistance of delegates from all the princes of Christendom. Already the Grand Duke of Burgundy has showed interest in visiting Holy Land and perhaps purchase some outrageously expensive true Holy Relics that our artisans are "finding".

Cornaro_G.gif

Our congratulations goes out to Aureo Barbarigo as our first King of Jerusalem. It has been clearly noted in our histories of your valiant leadership in the last great Ottoman war and your reward is duly deserved. We will await with eagerness to hear of your successes in the region. Perhaps under your leadership, the Kingdom of Jerusalem will be in a position to make a land connection to our holdings around The Nile.

Time to update the list of random leaders, since we have several new senators.

Code:
Character name        Forum name

Ernesto Gandolfi      Arturo Gandolfi
Brynano Cornaro       Carlec
Aureo Barbarigo       Norrefeldt
      -               Miozozny
Dandolo                    -          (Permanent honorific)
Angelo Pesaro         The Suebian
Fabio Trevisan        Seboden
Mikael Gatt           Prussian King
M. Vendramin          Svantevid
R. Contarini          Oranje Verzet
Cuthbertus III        Cuthbertus
Moro                  Hastu Neon

Senator Vendramin,

Certainly we like to see the members of the glorious noble families of Venice leading our armies. However Venice has a great shortage of men of arms, and it is our usual way to resort to the hiring of profesionals from other countries. They seem to perform with the same zeal, even if we don't know how to pronounce their names. As always the Signoria is willing to accomodate any change of name request.

dogalshield.png

Senators,

1588i.jpg

Sultan Murad has accepted our generous terms. The Ottoman empire has suffered a hard blow, and we estimate it has lost about 15% of its resources. The Turks have abandoned Smyrna, Trabzon and Judea. The Signoria has appointed two governors for the Greek provinces. I know rumors have spread regarding the fate of Judea. The senate already decided that we should not keep possession of the Holy Places. We have also decided to ignore the requests from the Pope to give them to him. Yes senators, the signoria has decided to name one of you, senator Aureo Barbarigo as king of Jerusalem. He will enjoy his position for the rest of his life, but the Signoria will appoint his successor. Aureo has already formed a small militia with local recruits, and we have dispatched 10,000 knights to protect his kingdom. Jerusalem is now in our alliance and grants us military access.

1588j.jpg

We have taken advantage of our first peaceful period in decades to implement necessary reforms. We have become a fully naval oriented maritime Republic. Our naval technology has improved to level 14, and our infrastructure technology allows us to build goods manufactories (level 6). We have appointed chief judges in Mantua and Napoli. We have started the conversion to the true faith of our provinces of Kaffa, Smyrna and Trabzon. We have rebuilt our armies recruiting 20,000 infantry and 4,000 cavalry. Mainly in Kaffa and Egypt. We have also used the income from selling monopolies to build 5 new warships in Veneto, as our fleet has suffered enormously in the recent wars.

1589.jpg

All these policies have been previously aproved priorities by the Consiglio. We have also saved a lot of money and could build a manufactory. We must decide which type and where. Our prosperity and mercantile efficiency is provoking the jealousy of our rivals. Brandenburg harassed our merchants and we chose to escalate the complaint, since our relations cannot worsen anyway.

1590.jpg

Another announcement. Finally the Rialto bridge has been finished. I am afraid that the final bill of this young DaPonte is higher than expected, and we had to pay 100[,000] more ducats, but it is totally worth it. It is not only beautiful, but also most useful, boosting our infrastructure(*), and naval advance, since commerces over the bridge, and at both sides of the Rialto are benefitting, improving also the tax value of Venice, and ships can pass below the bridge unlike previously. A fine addition to our city, that makes us more innovative. A fine addition to our city that will remain a landmark in the future.

1591.jpg

(*)The Rialto bridge events were proposed by much lamented senator Dandolo (Lawkeeper) to AGCEEP and included in our game by me. Unfortunately I did not tested them, and the infra was bugged. The first event was to give 200 infra, yet the actual amount was zero, because the command said "which" instead of "value". I have corrected the second event, adding those 200 to the 500 of the second event.

Continues...

The barnabotti, young impoverished nobles that cannot work or they would lose their seat in the Consiglio, are up to their usual troubles. But this time the scandal has caused a political crisis perhaps related to the latest revolt in Tirol. Not only I am totally worthless as a diplomat, but now I am also impaired administratively. I wish I was as good as Aureo Barbarigo is for Jerusalem. But we are not the only one with problems. Savoy had a rebellion in Emilia in 1591 that was very successful. We ignore the intentions of the rebels, and wonder what we should do.

1591b.jpg

The political situation and low stability forced us to grant export licenses to prevent further malcontent. I just don't understand my subjects. I just won the war for them, and it looks I am going to lose my re-election. Ungrateful bunch.

My diplomatic blunders continue to mar our recovery. This time the Dutch decided to close their markets to our merchants. I swear I did not do anything. I just financed another merchant when a previous one lost his place. I believe the Dutch want to fight over the East Indies. We haven't discovered their colonies there yet, but just wait until we do.

1592.jpg

Meanwhile France has left the worst of her problems behind. The assassination of Henry III and the willingness of Henri IV to embrace the Catholic faith, had brought all the French united again, as a regional power. We must consider that our alliance with Savoy and Spain can bring us into confrontation with Henri's aspirations to rule all the French. I must point out that our relations with Felipe of Spain are dropping real fast, and there is not much that I can do about it. My diplomatic skills are inexistant, and there is no point in blowing 246[,000] ducats in a personal gift (not even a state gift!) that is not going to do much good.

So it had to happen. I am about to present my resignation before I enter the Hall of Fame as the worst Doge of Venice ever. After the political crisis, the international incidents with Netherlands and Brandenburg, and the licenses issue, we are now riddled with corruption. We had to spend a lot of hard earned money to deal with the situation, and each stability hit is costing us a fortune, about two million (2,000) ducats. And then the Lougans rebelled for been neglected. I totally forgot about their existence, so I quickly dispatched new colonists to improve the situation. The senate seems to be fond of Louga, and as a naval depot, it has some merit.

1593.jpg

It is now the time to prepare our next confrontation with the emperor. You might not remember that Austria took from us the cities of Cervignano and Gradisca in 1511, during our war against the league of Cambrai that almost ended our existence as an independent republic. Venice has always tried to recover Gradisca, and I have decide to take the first step. Our eastern border with Austria is not only ill defined, provoking constant incidents, but also is not prepared for war. I have given orders to our great Giulio Savorgano, commander and military engineer, to develop a strong fortification for Palmanova, in the style of Nicosia (Cyprus), but with nine bastions instead of eleven. The Austrians have protested our unilateral fortification of the border (historic but not reflected in the event), but they feel already secure, as Gradisca was very well fortified by us before it became an Austrian possession. It is a great deal, as for only 200[,000] ducats we are improving the already good fortification in Veneto, and gaining a very valuable stability. Don't be surprised if we soon go to war against Austria, after Palmanova is fortified. We might just look for a convenient incident, and those pesky Uskok pirates at their service might provide it.

1593b.jpg

Your Doge

Cicogna2.gif
Pasquale Cicogna, LXXXVIII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1593.
88.jpg

1589-1593 Account:

Year 1589
-Built Governor in Smyrna for 103D
-Built Governor in Trabzon for 103D
-Land -1 (now 0) Stability dropped by -1 to +2
We reached Infrastructure 6 (Goods manufactories)
-Recruited 6000 inf. for 102D in Kaffa (in 2)
-Recruited 6000 inf. 2000 cav. for 160D in Alexandria & Nile (in 2)
-Sent missionary to Kaffa (414D 57% chance)
Monopoly company formed happened to us. +150D
-Built 5 warships in Veneto for 215D

Important international events nearby
Ottoman Empired surrendered Smyrna, Trabzon & Judea to Venice
Venice released Jerusalem as vassal (Judea)
Poland surrendered four provinces to Russia
France annexed Huguenots by event (Henry IV)

Our diplomacy

Year 1590
Spontaneous revolt in Tirol
-Recruited 6000 inf. for 102D in Kaffa (in 2)
-Recruited 2000 inf. 2000 cav. for 92D in Alexandria & Nile
Admiral Querini died
-Built Chief Judge in Mantua for 103D
Merchants harassed happened to us. We chose to escalate complaint, CB against Brandenburg for 60 months, relation -50 (vs. trade -500, relation +25)
-Sent missionary to Smyrna (380D 50% chance)
-Sent missionary to Trabzon (364D 55% chance)

Our diplomacy
We gained Military access from Jerusalem

Year 1591
Stone bridge of the Rialto (historic event) happened to us. -100D, Infra +700, naval +100, tax value in Veneto +1, Innovative +1, +50VP
Political crisis happened to us. Stab -2, monarch ADM -2 for 12 months
Our stability reduced to 0, Investment shifted to stability
Our naval technology advanced to level 14

Emilia (Savoy) rebelled
Nubia annexed by Yemen

Our diplomacy
-Sent 49D personal gift to Savoy, relations improved by +13 to +121

Year 1592
Stability rose to +1. Investment shifted to infra.
-Built Chief Judge in Napoli for 103D
Grant export licenses happened to us. We accepted, -75D (vs. -1 Stab)

Our diplomacy
Netherlands refused trade to us

Year 1593
Corruption happened to us. We tried to eradicate the problems, -150D, Stab -1 (vs. inflation +10)
Stability dropped to +0. Investment shifted to stability.
Native attack in Louga. We won
Upgrade the fortifications (historic event) happened to us. We erected new fortress in Veneto, fortress in Veneto +1, Stab +1, -200D (vs. fortress in Apulia +1, -50D, offensive -1)
-Sent colonist to Louga (74D 78%). It succeeded (level 5)

France annexed French Catholics by event (at the gates of Paris)

Our diplomacy

Barbarigo.gif

Cataldo Barbarigo​

The family Barbarigo is very proud that one of us have been granted the honour to rule Jerusalem and its holy shrines for twenty years. I am sure the esteemed Aureo will do his outmost to serve as an example for all future rulers. Let's just hope that he expands his army before the Ottomans try to take it back. But he's aproven military commander, and should know what to do.
I, Cataldo, nephew of Aureo and in my forties, will vote for our family in the decisions to be made. I share the mind of the blue party, like most of my predecessors. True treasures can be won for us, both on Earth and in heaven. On Earth by trade of course, and our heavenly treasures are gathered for us by conversions of Infidels!

Last edited:
[size=+1]1593 Report (December)[/size]

1593c.jpg

Economy
Stability +1
Stability cost = 2303D/level
Treasury = 1820D
Inflation 3.3%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1518    25
1543    26
1568    29
1588    35
1593    37

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1518     199.73     206.22    34.5
1543     223.00     249.01    42.5
1568     238.69     343.06    45.8
1588     305.74     402.08    50.8
1593     285.20     487.92    55.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1518      38.7     21.1      17.9     0.0     79.2       -8.2
1543      48.4     23.8      24.3     0.0     96.5       -7.6
1568      57.5     29.9      35.9     0.0    123.4      -12.0 
1588      84.7     42.2      63.7     4.3    194.8      -10.2
1593      70.8     39.4      67.1     4.3    181.6      -11.1
Current minting income: 34.3 ducats/month
70 merchants in CoTs (-4). 5.8 merchants/year
4.4 settlers/year
Trade efficiency is 76% (first nation). Production efficiency is 65% (first nation)
Trade agreements: Portugal

National
Monarch Pasquale Cicogna
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy very poor (3)
Military Average (5)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year            1419 1503 1553 58 63 68 73 78 83 88 93
Aristocracy        4    3    4  -  5  4  -  -  -  5  -
Centralization     3    8    9  -  - 10  9  8  -  -  -
Innovative         4    5    -  -  -  -  -  -  4  -  5
Mercantilism       5    8    7  8  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Offensive          2    4    3  2  1  -  -  -  -  -  -
Land               2    1    0  1  -  -  -  -  -  -  0
Quality            6    8    7  -  -  8  9  -  -  -  -
Serfdom            4    1    0  1  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 16 + 94% (1594, 20%) [Bonus = 2D]
Naval 14 + 31% (1598, 10%) [Bonus = 2D]
Trade 7 + 15% (1697, 0%) [No bonus]
Infrastructure 6 + 30% (1608, 45%) [No bonus]
Minting 25%

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)

Provinces of wrong religion: Orthodox (Kaffa, Trabzon) Muslim (Alexandria, Cataract, Nile, Delta, Egypt, Smyrna).

Military

Leaders:
Land leader General G. Savorgnano (3, 2, 3, 1)

Army 51k infantry, 45k cavalry, 101 artillery
maintenance cost at 50% is 8.1 D/month
Army support limit = 118 000 (23,000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 17D
Cavalry 29D
Artillery 24D

Navy 23 warships, 104 galleys, 22 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 3.0 D/month
Navy support limit = 267
Cost of naval units:
warships 43D
Galleys 9D
Transports 12D

Manpower pool = 63 (30,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Spain, Savoy & Jerusalem
Bad Boy 28.1/41 very bad reputation
Permanent CB: Genoa, Burgundy, Pomerania, France, Netherlands, Brandenburg
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Spain, Savoy, Bulgaria, Crimea, Austria

1593d.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Venice (Spain RM MA, Savoy RM MA, Jerusalem MA)
Genoa
North:
Switzerland
Danubian:
Austria MA (Bavaria, Dauphine)
Hungary
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Bulgaria
Bosnia RM
Transylvania
Wallachia
Poland (Brandenburg, the Knights, Ireland, Courland)
OE (Yemen)
Mediterranean:
Tunisia
Marocco (Songhai, Timbuktu, Tlemcen)
Black sea:
Crimea
Uzbek (Afghanistan)
Kara Koyunlu (Oman, The Hedjaz)
India:
Vijayanagar (Rajputana)
Mysore
Other:
France (Burgundy)
Portugal
Netherlands

3) Vassalages:
Papal States, Bulgaria and Jerusalem are vassals of Venice
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Genoa and Portugal are vassals of Spain
Bavaria is a vassal of Austria
Brandenburg, Courland and Crimea are vassals of Poland

4) Changes in our area:
Ottoman Empired surrendered Smyrna, Trabzon & Judea to Venice
Venice released Jerusalem as vassal (Judea)
Poland surrendered four provinces to Russia
Nubia annexed by Yemen
France annexed Huguenots and French Catholics

Welcome to the Consiglio, senators Almoravid and Barbarigo.

Cataldo, I will state the size of our Red Sea squadron. Right now it is composed of six warships and one transport. If we plan any operation in India, we should be able to transport at the very least 20,000 men in each trip, with a small squadron to chase enemy ships. Probably 15 warships and 6 transports will be adequate for an East Indian Fleet.

Senators, I am ready to continue ruling our Serenissima for as long as God wishes. Not much longer probably, since I have already reached the respectable age of 84 years old. There are no outstanding issues at this moment. The conversion of heathens and heretics, the building of a refinery, the colonization of Louga and the rebuilding of our fleet are all approved policies still pending, but we seem to be swimming in cash these days, and with very low inflation (3.3%), so we can probably afford to do most of it. Cyprus looks like an unbeatable place for the approved refinery, quite, secluded, easy to defend, and always faithful to us thanks to the Cornaro. The Cyprus wines are famous all over the world. I don't think it deserves a special election, but let me know if you consider Cyprus unacceptable.

The rebellion of Emilia seems to be poised for a declaration of independence as the marquisate of Parma. A favourable development, since we will have the chance of vassalizing them at no cost to our reputation. As Italians, they have the right to be ruled by us, and we just need a little bit of luck to gain them to our cause. Of course Savoy could manage to retain them, but in that case we lose nothing. Except probably our alliance with Spain. Felipe is very much disenchanted with us, and we can't afford to influence his mind. Personal gifts at over 200[,000] ducats and awful diplomatic skills are a bad mix. They will probably leave the alliance with the excuse of the independence of Parma. Aureo Barbarigo, king of Jerusalem, might have also some objections, but he will be brought back in alliance with his brothers and sisters.

Austria is right now at war with Netherlands. After three treacherous attacks, we cannot be sure that the emperor has given up in his attempts to suppress our freedom. I have given orders to Fodoroni of raising the alert of our troops to defcon 2 (defense condition), and increase the amount of troops stationed at our borders with Austria and Bavaria. We count on Charles Emmanuel of Savoy to stop the very strong armies of Dauphinè, and deal with the Occidental borders of the Empire. The new fortress of Palmanova might prove valuable soon. I hope the issue of Parma does not break our alliance during the war, but our relations with Charles Emmanuel are difficult due to his permanent claim on Piedmonte, and our alliance will not last forever unless we want to incorporate their lands to our realms. Well, let's hope this is all hypothetical, but if the emperor attacks, Fodoroni has orders of using all resources until we can force him to become our vassal.

Finally a discussion must be started on our domestic policies. In the next meeting we will get to decide our next three changes. I have a few comments about our policies.

Our Land (0), and Offensive (1), are not to be touched, as they are right where we wanted them all along. Perhaps our Quality (9) can still rise, but it is not a priority, as its effect would be small. Our Serfdom (1) is probably also right, given our problems of stability.

Our Centralization (8) can probably benefit from some increase. We must decide if that is a priority right now.

But there are three policies that we have not decided where to place them:

Aristocracy (5). A high aristocracy would help our diplomacy, while a low aristocracy would benefit our economy.

Innovative (5). We should not worry about our technology and manufactories, as we are filthy rich, but we will need priests and settlers. We are already using them, but a big amount will soon be needed.

Mercantilism (8). Our trade efficiency is very good. But there is an indirect effect of this policy that not all senators are aware of. One of our problems is our lack of young men willing to risk their lives charting the unknown. Apparently our youngsters are attracted to business and trade by our easy mercantilistic policies. Since 1550 we are awaiting the appearance of a young explorer. Our naval orientation and technology (Land <=1 and naval tech of 11) makes it possible to have a random explorer with a frequency of about 1 in 60 years (my estimate given our reloading). After 1600 and if we are low Mercantilistic (<=3) and with a naval tech of 18, we could increase that chance to about 1 in 45 years, and by being very low Mercantilistic (<=1) we could expect an explorer in 30 years. Of course that means reducing drastically our Mercantilism for the next 50 to 70 years, and increasing our naval technology investment a little bit more.

You can voice your opinions and concerns about all these issues before we get to vote on them.

Your Doge,

Cicogna2.gif
Pasquale Cicogna, LXXXVIII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1593.
88.jpg

The senate is still empty as Roberto Contarini enters. Bringing his documents and enough grapes to spend a month locked up in the senate, it seems he is prepared for a long and fruitfull discussion.

'Fellow senators, the Doge has pointed out the choices we face towards certain policies. Let me start the discussion by expressing the opinion of the house of Contarini on all three points which need to be adressed from our policy.

Aristocracy: Untill now we have had a status quo, and it has given us mixed results. The economy has not suffered from our policy but also not benifited from it, the same goes for the diplomacy. In these times of war we need both aspects to function. However, the lack of strategical allies has led me to believe it would be better to focus on our own economy then on the Diplomacy with nations. I trust in Venice and at the moment not in diplomacy. But if we are to choose to lower our aristocracy, this would most probably have a positive effect on our diplomacy.

Innovative: The Doge has already made it clear for me, we need the settlers for our colonies and exploration.

Merchantilism: I believe we can lower our policy in this area in order to obtain more explorers. We cannot expand without exploration and trading will have to suffer slightly but we can take that blow. If we have a change to improve our exploration i say yes.'

Wonderful report Doge--I would just like to state that in my youthful observation, I would agree with my Father (Meryoni) that peace should still be our choice if the choice is left up to us. I do FULLY agree with building our troops well and keeping them placed well so as to hopefully warn off any interlopers.

But as we are swimming in cash, moving forward in our desires of a new refinery (and we Corners are excited about the refinery in Cyprus), conversions and the like is the right move. If we can spend the next 20-40 years merely growing our economy, when we get a brave soul ready to explore (I've tried to influence my family, but, uh, well as you say, we are rich and to the rich comes leisure and my nephews are not interested in the risk), we will be able to strike quickly with colonies or trading posts. I do fully agree that we should continue to upgrade our Red Seas fleet in preparation, but of course you need no direction in that area since I'm sure Capitoni Fodoroni has already seen the right placement of our fleet.

On Spain, I would only offer that they probably won't leave our alliance without provocation on our part and if we time it right, perhaps (if/when) they leave, we can move on Sicily (not warmongering, only completing our old goal of a united Italy which of course includes Sicily). Would that day arise, I'm sure Fodoroni would see to it that we take a quick visit to the capital of Spain to find their maproom. :p

Well done one and all. Let's pray that the rest of this coming century is as successful as it has been for our predecessors.

Vendramin.gif

Matteo Vendramin​

I share my oppinions with the senators who spoke before me. We should start behaving like one of the major powers of the world, that we have become. And with the growth of our state we should soon start to centralize it, to gain better administration. However, colonisation and exploration should take precedence.