• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Brandenburg III

A Smooth Operator
25 Badges
Jun 22, 2007
  • Lead and Gold
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • The Kings Crusade
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
Not A Minute Too Soon
7 Days Over You
If You Don't Start Drinkin' (I'm Gonna Leave)
Old Hat
Same Old Song and Dance
Wasted Time
Wasted Time II
Stormtroopin'
She Wants More
Shut Up and Don't Interrupt Me
Two Out of Three Ain't Bad
Empire
Shotgun Sally
Call On Me
Crash Crash
Death To All But Metal
Its A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock N Roll)
Its the Little Things
Yankee Rose
In the Sticks
American Hair Band
[URL="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?536974-The-Decline-of-Western-Civilization-Part-IV&p=12760765#post12760765"]Hair Of The Dog

Screwed, Blued 'N Tattooed
Wherever I May Roam
Hang On Lucy
Promised Land
That's Life

[/URL]
Scroll to the bottom of this first post for a summary of the paragraphs.

It isn’t August yet so I’m not yet back full time. After returning home on a weekday I’ve discovered that my computer had broke down. Luckily, I was able to get a nice - see: Free - laptop for the duration of my little tour. As luck would have it - if a computer breaking down is lucky - the old mouse and keyboard seem to work well enough unfortunately the only Paradox games I can get going on this machine is Vik II, FtG - which I’ve been having nothing but problems with since this new machine - and Mount & Blade. Considering this, in spite of Vik II’s glaring flaws, I’ve decided to start up an AAR. And after the last few months, well, its time to detox for three or four weeks.

So what does this mean for the Revolutionary War AGEOD and AAR in French I was planning? Well, they probably won’t happen until I get a new desktop later this year/early next year. Vik II still doesn’t thrill me so I can’t see myself planning another B3/gameplay AAR for it. However, since I am only able to play Vik II, I’ve decided, after completion of this AAR to tie up my loose ends. This means completing AARs that I left behind, but there are some which are impossible to complete due to the crash so those will remain idle forever. The AARs I’ll be working on are: A real finale to The Revolution - it will be a separate thread so there‘s no need to subscribe to that one if interested - , finishing up my Japanese WWI Victoria AAR, Dante’s Blood, a rewriting of The Link in the Rome AAR forum and finishing up the HOI2 Library, which I’ve already restarted. I rarely announce new AARs or the restarting of old ones so if you’re interested in any of them and want to catch them when they’re restarted, its best to subscribe now. But again, these are just plans and we’ve seen over the last two years how those have worked out for me around here. :) The only thing I will not be able to complete is Von Weimar.

So what does all this mean? Well, it means you’ve got yourself a Spanish AAR. A Spanish AAR where the goal is to reinsert myself into the Americas. Considering the flaws that remain, the trouble of raising industrial scores without allowing yourself to be invaded and the like, it ought to be challenging to overcome the remaining broken pieces of the game. I’ll add that 1.3 finally makes the entire game playable after the 1.2 fiasco.

As for style, this will be another B3 AAR. If you’re new or don’t know what a B3 AAR is, head on over to the inkwell where PictAARs (EU3) and My Terminal Uniqueness (Vik II) sit. Everything’s fair game but one thing I don’t really do is political humor. Democrats are stupid and naïve and Republicans are evil. We get it. That kind of stuff comes from same people who vote straight ticket no matter what. They’re morons. There’s no maybe in that… unless maybe they’re brainwashed, too.

So let’s summarize this thing:

- There isn’t going to be anything political. At least nothing that’s taken place in the last fifteen or twenty years.
- Playing as Spain
- Will not permit myself to go over BB
- Will not permit myself to be invaded just to heighten my industrial score.
- I’ll likely try to either become communist or fascist which means I'll probably end up as neither one.
- I ran through a very quick test game and it looks like I’ll be able to play all the way through the game, unlike what happened with Bukkhara.
- This will be your standard B3 AAR
- The space below will be reserved for Chapter titles, allowing you to click links to the newest chapter. All chapter titles will reference rock song titles; all sub-genres of rock will be permitted so turn your speakers to 11 or if its a Rolling Stones update, down to 1. :D I’ll provide the artists halfway through and again at the end of the AAR in case you couldn’t find the songs on your own.

Update should be out in a day or two.

Last edited:
So let’s dust off some of this old…. dust

24q8qxh.jpg

and get this thing going.

In starting out I always noticed Spain had a tough time with Industrialization so when beginning the game I decided to take an alternate route.

io2kih.jpg

I’m already forced to raise my national stockpile prices and taxes because of existing rebels. Add in the fact that BB can’t burn unless you already have it, Wartugal often finds a strong ally at some point and they have instant states… well, declaring war on Wartugal was easy.

Day 1 middle and poor taxes were raised to 90%, rich to 95%; tariffs, national stockpile, education and administration were all shoved to 100% and military and social spending sat at 0. Mobilization raised just over 30 regiments which I believed was enough to defeat Wartugal on its own. As an aside, both NF’s were used to create craftsmen in Castilla la Nueva (the capital) and Valencia. The extra diplomatic points were used to raise relations with France to +25. We’ve gotta be buddies.

126663o.jpg

The first battles against Wartugal came and ended on 28 January. Really, their attempts to amount a defense are about as sterile as a researcher trying to discover medicinal uses for radiation.

minnli.jpg

A day later my Iberian fleet began blockading their capital and neighboring province, adding to my warscore.

The silly Wartuguese, in early February, tried amounting an offensive but failed. A day later, on 7 February, an approximate 14k Wartuguese army was destroyed in Oporto - it was originally 14k.

11j8byb.jpg

More good news followed when in mid-February I badgered the main, and only, rebel force into defeat. This would ultimately end in that army’s udder destruction.

dfvabp.jpg

Early March another Wartuguese army was destroyed, leaving Wartugal with a total of 17,000 troops that I could see. The same day I decided to add Alentejo to my war goals. I figured I wouldn’t be able to do anything in the New World until I was able to field a decent army and I predicted that to take about 10 years considering the small arms shortages in the beginning of the game.

March 6 I’d lose my first and only battle. Sometimes you forget you’re using militia… unless you’re Russia.

2w69x1s.jpg

Toward the end of March Wartugal lost another 2000 troops. And in the beginning of April the last of the rebels were destroyed, allowing me to turn all my attention onto occupied territories and those yet to be taken from Wartugal.

Late May the Wartuguese snuck to siege the Balearic islands but I took my revenge a few days later in Lisbon, leaving Wart with no more than 7k throughout Iberia.

ojmmv7.jpg

I then set into my sieges, eventually removing the last Wartuguese army on the mainland. At the same time relations with France were bumped up again (+46) and by late September I announced to a group that they’d be going to the islands. Unfortunately for them, they thought I meant the Caribbean where they’d get to meet Sammy Hagar… imagine their disappointment when they arrived in the Balearics.

2mnpuhh.jpg

Early October the Warts occupied the Balearics and by the time I arrived, they’d vanished. Houdini style.

2ngzuxw.jpg

What an ugly dude.

Anyway, I’d eventually track them down off the coast of Gibraltar and sink their transport. With nothing to worry about, no ships or armies, I lowered my national stockpile to 50%. After all, bills won’t pay themselves, but as luck would have it, hookers sometimes will. :D

After the occupation of Coimbra on 20 November, peace came. I demobilized, lowered national stockpile to 10%, all taxes to 32% and raised military spending to 100%… debt sat at 43,290. Not too bad considering I would’ve had to raise my national stockpile to fight the rebels anyway.

Polishing off the year I raised relations up with France (+55) and changed my government to Communion Carlista so I could build my own factories.

o55mas.jpg

2vlteub.jpg

Seven days and not a comment? Oh well. See boys and girls, this is what happens when you make fun of the Communists and the gullible on a forum like this… although I suppose those two words are interchangeable. And don’t send hate mail, if the Fascists were a large force I’d make fun of that ridiculous ideology as well. You see, the only good form of government is Monarchy. Maintain the Monarchy. It isn’t just a slogan, its an endorsement.

9sz5sk.jpg

And if ya ain’t down with that I got two words for ya: Why not?

Let’s see… maybe we can kick a few years our of our way.

The first day of 1837 steel, small arms and luxury clothes industries sprang up gratis from the government. Now I’ve read the plain jane boring forum in Vik II and I’ve seen people say: “The game isn’t broken. Just build your own small arms factories.” But when reasonably civilized countries can’t build their own units within the first ten years of the game without resorting to irregular infantry, then something is wrong.

2rgdt34.jpg

But it doesn’t break the game nor does it make it unplayable like some have said. It just makes it difficult to raise a competent army. Ha, that ought to rake in some of the fan boy readers.

We also left Portugal alone for now… they’re smaller than the text in Heavy Rain and almost as unplayable but I doubt Portugal will have the strength the stall/stalemate the game somewhere near the end.

So while 30 infantry sat in wait I loaded up, queuing 27 ships to go along with them. At least those can be built within a reasonable amount of time and I’ll need them for my cross-Atlantic endeavors which reminded me… I’m in the top 8... And I’m not about to fall out of status… and I need to place influence.

3 influence went into Mexico
2 influence went into USCA
1 influence went into both Colombia and Venezuela

I’m just trying to tilt things my way.

2iayceg.jpg

February the last rebel province was recovered, ending their little revolution and I lowered national stockpile to 2%. I probably won’t need that raised again for a while.

At the same time the Ottoman Empire had some interested in Colombia. I don’t want to have to fight a war with them just because it’s a pain to burn off BB. Oh well, I’m sure they’ll fall out of the top 8 before long.

6z0bxw.jpg

In other news, Mexico and Texas signed a white peace and

30aflao.jpg

No money was received. :(

France later annexed Tunis and, by the way, I have zero interest in Africa or Asia. If I’m going to expand, its either going to be in Europe or the Americas. I’m gonna find some way to squeeze myself in.

107qb5u.jpg

On the other hand, I ought to beware of a bored France for less than a month after their conquest in Africa they joined a war on their border. Fun.

dfujie.jpg

The year ended with a border incident I couldn’t pursue thanks to the top nations doing nothing but allying with one another.

2h3n6e0.jpg

Hm, I have to start including more than just one year in these updates or this is going to be a very long AAR. We’ll fix that.

24cxvea.jpg

No, I mean the updates.

I have no idea why no-one is posting, this AAR looks hilarious.

zagoroth: Communists are so sensitive… I wonder how many of these members bearing sickle flags have ever worked a farm… I actually don’t mind it at all. :) Its good to have you along though.

I was thinking about this game today… I haven’t really played it in about two weeks but I was wondering how I was going to take land away from the US. Because I’m not a great Victorian player like some of these other AAR guys are. So far I don’t have a solution to keep the US from saving the world in WWI, WWII or that Texas sized asteroid that almost obliterated the earth in 1998.

16a1g06.jpg

I think Bruce Willis is free so I’m sure I’ll work something out.

In the opening days of 1838 Colombia allied with Mexico, putting just a small dampening in my plot but like most things in this world, its still doable. Meanwhile, 49 army units and 25 ships are in queue. Once completed those ships are headed to Cuba.

February and May I increased opinions with USCA and Mexico, both to friendly… the US is fighting me for position in Mexico but I can’t let them win there. Come July I’d remove all influence in all countries except Mexico so I could battle for her love against the US.

2dv36g5.jpg

Eventually, like good ideas in Will Wright’s brain, I’d discover I wouldn’t be able to win… I kept my influence in Mexico so the USA wouldn’t sphere them so quickly but I returned some influence to both Colombia and Venezuela.

9hq8sh.jpg

Toward the end of the year I had raised relations with France to +100, the US annexed Texas and I was merely clinging onto the Top 8 slot.

At the top of 1839 - sweet, this update encompasses more than one year - we’re waiting on 49 military units and 24 ships…. Debt has been cut to 7300. We’re almost free and clear - and yes, I’ll continue using the word ‘we’ until ‘I’ begin doing well in this game.

Within the first few months - let’s take another shot at Will Wright because, yeah, years later I’m still annoyed by how much Spore sucked but to be fair my three year old nephew loves it :rolleyes: - I jumped on the building factory bandwagon again and added onto my steel factory faster than Will Wright bought X-Play. Yeah, a grade of 5 out of 5 for that trash? They had to have been bought off. Anyway, just so you know, it’ll always be Extended Play to me. Morgan’s okay but they need to get rid of that new dufus they’ve been trying to integrate into the show the past year or two.

j7vxva.jpg

And then I built the liquor factories. When Girl #… what, 5 or 6 now? We’ll split the difference and call her Girl #5.5. She’s a teetotaler now but just a few months ago she used to party. Someone loses an arm and suddenly the party’s over. I hate quitters.

117snr5.jpg

A glass factory followed but I don’t have an anecdote for that… not even a bad one.

So in early 1839, here’s everybody leaving poor states heading where the jobs are.

28lz6n6.jpg

And me - I mean us - falling out of the Top 8 toward the end of January.

2003g8z.jpg

UK DoW’d Venezuela in early April which made me think about sitting in wait to take on Venezuela after the UK was through with it. I just hope they don’t want too much from that country, leaving me nothing but an opportunity for a costly annexation.

While I watched the war wage Russia continued to raise relations both the previous year and this one so by the middle of June it had reached +130. And in late June I raised my national stockpile to 50%, lowered military maintenance to 0%, all taxes to 49% and began boarding a few units in Spain to land in the Caribbean.

July 6 all taxes rose to 75 % and September 15 I declared war…

Now excuse me while I stomp this dulcimer.

Last edited:
BootOnFace: Sweet, now I can post… its awesome too that you picked on one of two rock references I made in that update. :)

… on Haiti. Now that that sentence is finished we can start on my usual pre-AAR meanderings.

Every couple of days I come online to check out how this old AAR is doing and I was comparing a few things between this project and other AARs that began around the same time. Despite the few comments, the views are outpacing many of the AARs started in the time frame. Which means either one of two things: 1. This AAR is incredibly popular but people don’t want to comment or 2. I have a few obsessive readers. I’m believing 1, but I’m not putting it past you guys to have visited the same asylum as me - Enewald knows what I’m talking about.

So what does this mean? B3 was right and the rest of AARland was wrong. Views matter most… unless you’re one of those people who need a moral boost ( because the thousands of people clicking your link just isn't enough…) I’m not keeping score but if you are at home the record should be:

fduaaf.jpg

So I declared war on Haiti because they still weren’t friendly with the US, who for some reason wants to sphere that tiny country every single game. You’d think they’d be more interested in other, larger states… then again, there are still elections in Puerto Rico every once in a while. Can’t even drive there, what’s the point?

Also I thought Venezuela would still be too much of a headache since the game is so early… and because the UK was hardly doing anything. So I decided to try to Humiliate Haiti instead. A nice prestige boost, a quick war and low BB.

But I lost the first battle and knew the war would last much longer than I wanted it to.

2mjt5i.jpg

National Stockpile was raised to 100% in late October and sometime soon after I discovered Steamers. Yeah, Spain has a lot of trouble in the education department. So much trouble in fact that Hearts of Iron is their favorite Paradox series.

By early November I decided to split my New World fleet and was able to blockade all of Haiti while I waited for more troops to arrive… and early December Portugal declared war on Oman but surprise, Oman’s allies didn’t flee her. But let’s be serious here. Portugal’s greatness in this game is a myth… kind of like Santa Claus, El Dorado and Moldavian independence.

2mwa0k5.jpg

At the start of 1840 I’m waiting on 50 army units and 14 ships to be built… I tipped relations up to +115 with France and began building another small arms factory - I need an army - and a steamer shipyard. Now I just need to find someone who knows his way around.

23s9mk7.jpg

15 March I regained my Great Power status, immediately placing 2 influence points into USCA where the USA was building up a reputation. I’m going to be cut out of the New World before I get a chance to offend anyone… I mean in the game.

Meanwhile Russia went to war with the OE, the US banned me from Mexico - it wouldn’t be the first time - and the Netherlands declared war on Portugal. Awesome! That’s a throwdown I won’t want to miss, unlike

rh22pi.jpg

Come 1 May I finally beat the Haitians down, following them the way creepy dudes follow Jodie Foster. And in July Carlista won… which kind of reminds me of Callisto. See, if you’re gonna do something stupid like stalk somebody, you stalk somebody like that. Not Jodie Foster.

20r9ptt.jpg

2m5l0fn.jpg

8 days later, July 8, Haiti’s army was destroyed and suddenly they wanted peace. Sure… all ships that were sent to the Caribbean will now stay there, along with the troops. Attrition is a ****. All taxes were turned down to 32%, Military Maintenance re-raised to 100% and National Stockpile shoved down to 10%.

wc1tg0.jpg

Alright, with a victory against Haiti, now I feel I can do anything. Though that could be because I just took something they said would cool ya. Either way, your call.

BootOnFace: See, you get it. The B3 line of AARs is more about random references than anything else. So its always surprised me when they were nominated or won comedy stuff. Ah well, never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Van5: Here, have a gift horse
2060dc0.jpg

MidEvil: You do realize that you guys are beginning to blow my views theory. :p Actually, I have plans to stay out of every theatre - Europe included - except for the Americas… north, central and maybe south depending on how things go.

Its taken a few decades but I’ve finally found my hero, my role model.

29mt0fb.jpg

He’s great… well, at least his character. But the dude would be perfect except for that horrible British accent he had in Flight of the Phoenix.

2qdyfee.jpg

Sh! Don’t say that, you’ll confuse the Americans.

281dagw.jpg

Now you’re going to confuse the Europeans. You’re almost as bad as the Canadian judge… Anyway, the dude is totally mid 1990’s Alicia Silverstone. She was 18 by then, right? Well, she had to be by the time of those Aerosmith videos. Okay, so maybe that’s a long way to go for an Aerosmith reference but that makes it three updates in a row!

Anyway, not much happened after where we left off…. I built a line of forts on the French border - because that will stop them - I ended influence in the USCA and soon became ‘Cordial’ with Venezuela. Although I don’t know if I can be friends with a guy named Hugo… this isn’t the 16th century anymore.

Starting in 1841 I was able to build steamers and instantly queued 20.… 48 army units were still waiting to be built. I also established small arms, steel and fabric factories. I know I’m going to have a hard time with industrialization just because I’m not going to permit my provinces to be run over… and other countries will. As we all know, France’s industry now booms selling smiley faces to countries too afraid to show the swastika.

317i1ip.jpg

By February UK white peaced with Venezuela, Portugal took Omani Lindi, Russia took Kars from OE, I placed 1 influence in Portugal - when the truce ends - and continued raising relations with the UK. I don’t want any trouble with them.

Through the rest of the year I altered my economy for war…

January of 1842 I declared war on Portugal to add them to my sphere. I honestly need nothing more than my militia units to take care of them. Not long after that the Netherlands and Portugal signed a white peace. On the sphere side of things, the US knocked us down to cordial in Mexico followed by the UK knocking us down to neutral. Not cool.

15 August Portugal agreed to be my ****

25a6m15.jpg

I think things will pick up soon. If not I'm going to start skipping some stuff.

By the end of 1842 I had raised relations with the UK up to +96, I dropped my influence investment in Mexico to 2, 2 in Argentina and 1 in Chile… I also became friendly with Colombia. I have no interest in sphereing either Venezuela or Colombia… I just want to watch and knock down the other powers to keep them from getting too much influence and thus, keeping them from intervening in mah biz niss.

t7hlx5.jpg

Sadly no one’s told him he’s a joke. Maybe someday.

BootOnFace: If you do, you ought to do it somewhere that’s easy to clean up, like a bathtub or something.

I didn’t know when I’d find a chance to update but some dumb*** decided to lock me in this room with this laptop and my guitar until I learned Gotten. I don’t get it. If he can’t sing it, why should I learn to play it? And I’d escape through the windows but they’ve been nailed shut. Our manager says it’s a fire hazard but I never heard of a nail catching on fire. Sometimes smart people can be so stupid.

So that leaves us with a few notes I have, some screenshots on this computer and some spare time, I thought, “Why not break this thing out?”

Well, a lot of stuff happened but none of it to me. Yeah, I know, story of your Saturday night so lets just pick up from 9 October 1845. By this time Chile had entered my SoI, I was knocked down to neutral in Mexico, I had expanded on my industries and most of my army and ships had been built.

Early 1846 I reached 50% in the upper house for the first time and immediately outlawed slavery. It wasn’t for any reason other than to avoid a literary, unreadable bomb.

yfel2.jpg

And by the end of the year I had also sphered Argentina - apparently most or all of South America is at least cordial with Spain which is making this a little easier than I thought it would - and Mexico was sucked into the USA SoI.

And then I got this border incident I couldn’t really use.

Well… after writing this up I decided I didn’t feel like copying and pasting the pic. Just imagine a border incident event against Portugal.

Come 1847 the libs snagged another 50+% in the upper house, permitting me to allow a free press. In the same early months Prussia formed into the NGF - even though from here on out I’ll probably just call her Germany just for ease of use. It isn’t like she’d ever want to reclaim other German lands… to expect that would just be crazy and would spawn Hitler which would only give Paradox forum members ammunition for bad parodies.

2167eq.jpg

In the middle of February Hawaii fell into the US’s SoI and early April the Netherlands declared war on Portugal. Cool, because…

2ccuqz7.jpg

Hm, not enough time in this update. Guess we’ll get to the war next time.

Oh, and all you people trying to stalk me on my profile page? Yeah, I’m gonna start stalking you back.

Yesterdays’ update wasn’t a real update since there wasn’t a subject so let’s consider this a continuation… kind of like a “Wasted Time II”

Anyway, the Netherlands wanted to steal away Hong Kong and My Cow

9pyt21.jpg

Ain’t gonna happen. I immediately brought in my sphered allies Argentina and Chile but I waited about a week before I added France. They were a maybe to declare war. I guess they always are.

This new lineup caused the Netherlands to mobilize while I felt the need so SoI Peru. I’m thinking of sphereing all of S. America except for Colombia and Venezuela. The rest is fair game.

By the end of May I laid my first siege in Aruba and added a war goal to humiliate the Netherlands. I might as well get something out of it.

2nu6t7m.jpg

Late June I laid another siege in St. Martin… I’m going for those big prizes. And the US sphered USCA. Breaking into Central America isn’t going to be easy but I busied myself by adding another war goal: Netherlands releases Luxembourg as a puppet.

And while passing by on my way to the Lowlands, I discovered the Dutch had a little involvement with the French. Now I know I won’t have much to worry about when I land… except what to buy while I window shop.

2ueps9v.jpg

Of course Belgium didn’t give Military Access. But it wasn’t a big deal. I landed in Amsterdam early September to work on what remained until an eventual victory was taken 11 days after landing.

2e5oyo9.jpg

I eventually destroyed their fleeing army in Rotterdam while another army sieged their capital. I also worked on Ceram, occupied Aruba and the UK annexed Panjab. Awesome, because my game wasn’t running slow enough. And for good measure, they followed up by declaring war on Afghanistan.

Through the rest of the year not much else happened. But at the beginning of the new year, 1847, liberals took 54% in the upper house and I allowed weighted universal. I also took some pics of the war.

2antab.jpg

Oh wait, that’s later. Here you go.

96xqvo.jpg

February Ceram, Amsterdam and Rotterdam all fell to me.

we-not-worthy.gif

Relax, its only the Netherlands.

Sieges continued and late March, France added their acquire Guano war goal. Oh, was that supposed to read Guayana? Well, I don’t really see a difference.

But early May the Netherlands had had enough and I stripped her bare, so to speak. I even let France have her war goals. She’s going to be powerful anyway and if I can hurt the Netherlands who wants to challenge me for the top 8 spot, then I’ll do it.

359xv6w.jpg

Seriously, I can’t be the only one bothered by this.

Polishing off the rest of May and June, I sphered Brazil, I decreased the opinion of UK in Portugal and I managed to have misplaced my pants again. That ought to keep people from visiting my page, hm? Or it could draw a whole new crowd. I guess we’ll see.

Last edited:
This is really funny

This is brilliant, getting a brilliant laugh here. :) (Also it's making me want to try playing as Spain.)

flame7926: I know. I wrote it. :p

MasterOfGrey: I’m just going to assume you’re calling me brilliant by association :p But Spain is easier than I’m making it out to be. This is only my third complete game - I think - since I got the game. So I’m sure there are those who can do much better…. Not that this AAR is about gaming the game. :rolleyes:

There were two of you who just couldn’t resist and totally blew my lead. You couldn’t resist and looked at my profile. Although after not being able to update for ten days I’m probably to blame. But I’m not here to blame myself. If I were, I’d stick to long-term relationships which usually end up not being fun at all. “Your music’s too loud!” “You’re playing your guitar at this hour?” “Turn off that stupid game!” “You’re going out again?” “Call me.” “Stop drinking!” “You said you’d call me!” “You wanna get married?” Bleh! And before you know it they start talking about kids. Kids? Who wants those things. They’re stickier than a movie theatre floor. I’ve never understood guys who let something like that run their lives.

Hm, it looks like we found our lead so we can start but first

2ecq537.jpg

Let’s see… I became friendly with Bolivia, lowered national stockpile to 2% and a few other boring things happened. At the start of 1849 I was able to begin building Commerce Raiders which meant more than a couple MoW’s were disbanded. I should at least get some kind of refund for those ships. You know, recycling, 1850’s style. Because its so hard to make money in this game.

33u7fx1.jpg

A few months into 1849 and a part of Europe blew up when Russia declared war on the Ottoman Empire. UK, France, OE & puppets v. Russia. With Europe distracted I decided to raise nat stock to 90%, poor & middle taxes to 85%, rich 90% and military spending 0%. I can’t remember which nation I was eyeing but it didn’t matter because in mid April the USA declared war on Mexico.

Hey, Mex. Pucker up, buttercup.

15nm8n5.jpg

Okay, my declaration didn’t happen till mid August but still…like they have a chance. As long as my newly conquered territory is supplied with cheap blue jeans, they’re not gonna complain. Besides, they don’t have a choice. They only have 17 regiments/7 ships left and most of them are probably up north fighting the **** Yankees - and you thought I was going to leave out a rock reference.

The war moved slow outside of my sieges and occupations… the first battle didn’t even happen until mid December.

2z3qa1y.jpg

1 January 1850 you can pretty much see how things are going.

2cfd3qq.jpg

They should just accept peace now. Resistance is futile.

2r73sye.jpg

The funny thing is, I didn’t know half of these Star Wars/Trek references until I began posting on these forums. I’ve still only seen two of the three original Star Trek movies. Edit: I meant Wars... two of the three Star Wars movies. See what I mean?

tam3iv.jpg

Three days after the pic - the map, not the borg - I occupied Veracruz… two days after that and Bolivia entered my SoI.

2r73sye.jpg

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :D

By the end of the month Bolivia was my ally and a Mexican army was wiped from the map. It wasn’t until the end of February when I’d see another… and when I besieged their capital.

etxj04.jpg

Their above unit was also wiped around early April leaving them with only 6 regiments. Considering how things were going I dropped nat stock to 75% and taxes to 49%. I don’t know if 50%+ still means anything in Vicky II but like a Ricochet Rabbit reference I was going to make, it probably doesn’t matter.

A few more months passed without action… Ecuador became friendly and the US/Mexico War came to an end on 6 June. The US took Colorado… 1 July and here’s the war.

5xn71k.jpg

UK/Russia signed a white peace a few days later and my war rolled on like a Ford assembly line: It progressed at a predictable pace. And Russia/France agreed to peace with Russia taking Giresun from the OE. Toward the end of November the last of the Mexican regiments were destroyed. So I brought Frances McDormand in here to answer one question: “Is this war over?”

yfd6s.jpg

January 1851 they didn’t have anymore troops left, why would they still continue the war? It doesn’t make sense. There should be a war score for eliminating all of the enemy’s troops so you don’t have to sit around doing the same thing over and over. And ****!

We keep hearing from Paradox that they want their games to devolve into sandbox games so what’s up with this?

xp1owp.jpg

Anyway, 18 February Mexico finally got a clue and signed peace.

egviol.jpg

All troops transported will stay in Mexico as will ships. And through all that I only inherited one cement factory and about 91,000 in debt. My future plans? I’m going to ruin Mexico like Christian Bale ruined Batman.

Nice little trip to Mexico there. I might have to do the same in my Spain game now once I finish 'protecting' south-east Asia.

And yes, you are brilliant. :p

Why Nuevo Leon though? Wouldn't Yucatan have been more useful? (Both by being closer to Cuba and by being strategically located such that the Mexicans can only attack from one direction?)

Oh, you are back! With another V2 AAR! And lots of obscure 80s references! Next time put up a billboard or something, will you? Like this...

neonb1.jpg

Sorry, not that one - this one

neonb3.jpg

It's difficult to be a loyal fan these days :rolleyes:

1.3 is definitely better (and faster) than 1.1/1.2, although some odd things still happen... Your first Mexican campaign went well - I take Nuevo Leon was a tastier target than Yucatan (more population & literacy)?

Nice work. Though I'm also wondering why you didn't choose to take the Yucatan.