• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another happy family scene, but I'm picking up a somewhat melancholy note beneath it all. Dead siblings, frustrated ambitions, cash flow problems, and a family feud with an ambitious relative... King Hughes certainly has a lot weighing on his mind.

Reactions:
Another happy family scene, but I'm picking up a somewhat melancholy note beneath it all. Dead siblings, frustrated ambitions, cash flow problems, and a family feud with an ambitious relative... King Hughes certainly has a lot weighing on his mind.
I may have brought the melancholy on a bit too strong, I was trying to explain Hughes and his backstory. I'm not sure if Cyprus has cashflow problems, I was trying to explain two of Hughes's traits, he is greedy and an indulgent wastrel. But yes, he has a lot weighing on his mind. So many of these rulers are so young, I had forgotten that until I was editing my draft and looking back on their stats.

Does the King of Cyprus like me suspect that Jerusalem's regent would abandon wife, child and Jerusalem for a better offer?
Well Hughes isn't privy to Jean's thinking. In any case, his gambit in the Latin Empire would require Agnes's coperation, so he can't abandon her.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I don't think I'll be giving Hughes any more POV's, but he is a major character for a time so I thought we'd get to know the real him before we view him from Jean's very biased perspective. The next chapter will introduce another new family to the equation, though it will move the narative of the Crusade forward.

Please please please give constructive criticism. I feel this AAR kind of drags in the beginning, ironic since I added all these plot points because I worried the regency would prove uninteresting. I am combining chapters where I can. Do you like these alternative POV's or would you like me to stick to the house of Breiene. A lot of these chapters are just introductions to characters I found interesting or who play an important role in the plot. So I expect they will be less frequent in the future, especially as Isabelle grows older and becomes a POV in her own right.

As always thank you for commenting.

Reactions:
I may have brought the melancholy on a bit too strong, I was trying to explain Hughes and his backstory. I'm not sure if Cyprus has cashflow problems, I was trying to explain two of Hughes's traits, he is greedy and an indulgent wastrel. But yes, he has a lot weighing on his mind. So many of these rulers are so young, I had forgotten that until I was editing my draft and looking back on their stats.

I wouldn't say you were laying it on particularly thick; I just like teasing out the little implications that aren't always immediately obvious.

And since you've asked for constructive criticism:

The multiple POVs haven't been too much of an issue for me. One thing I would recommend is a quick proofreading check before you put a chapter up; I've noticed a few places here and there where the spellings of character and place names aren't entirely consistent. It's a relatively minor thing, but one that does run the risk of taking the reader out of the story.

Overall I'd say you're doing well; nothing a little polishing up won't fix :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 10: December 1213
The Humbled Count
December 1213

There was proving to be quite a lot of blood in this hunt that was supposed to celebrate peace. The stag had struggled mightily, and taken quite a few hounds with it. But in the end it had fallen, an apt metaphor for Raymond’s situation if there ever was one.
20200727163953_1.jpg

This wasn’t just any hunt, it was important, a matter of state. The type of thing Raymond had spent his whole life learning at his father’s feet. He had thought himself a skilled student. Yet everything in his reign had been a failure.

His first act had been to follow his father’s will and divide the realm between himself and his brothers, releasing Bohemond and Henri from their oaths of fealty. Philippe would have been let go as well, that had been the plan, split the principality in half, but Bohemond had let it be known that he intended to cede his brother’s lands to the Armenians, to negotiate peace with the house that had been trying to subjugate Antioch for as long as all of them had been alive. Raymond would not allow his father’s death to have been in vain, and so persuaded Phillipe to side with him in one last heroic gamble to maintain the sovereignty of the House of Poltiers. Alas it had all come to nothing.

20200221174600_1.jpg

“I told you we would bag the thing if we just kept at it”, declared Prince Ivane, the low born husband of King Levon’s only daughter. He had been a brilliant strategist, one of Levon’s best commanders and a thorn in the side of the House of Poltiers for years. Once Raymond would have gladly cut him down. But they were at peace now.

20200727122507_1.jpg

“Your persistence is one of the many things I love about you. That and your infinite patience, which I am sure I have tested many times”, Rita declared to her husband.

“You are a magnificent woman my love. You are beautiful, intelligent and noble and I owe everything I am to you. Surely our lords of Cilicia see this and will give you their fealty, and our Count of Tripoli and Prince of Antioch will keep to their pledges of peace.” These Armenians are not subtle.

His younger bother Philippe spoke first. “I have already pledged my service to your father my lady. I pledge to serve you as well. I will be your liege man and follow you to the ends of the earth.”

Phillipe had quickly gotten over any anger he had felt at being forced to submit over to a foreign monarch and was now worming his way into the good graces of the Armenian King Levon, and his daughter, the unnatural Princess Rita.

(Picture).

It was like watching a puppy toddle after it’s owner. Their father would roll in his grave watching his son debase himself in such a manner.

That woman drove him mad.

Most women did, his own mother had remained with unseemly rapidity after their father’s death, and to his uncle Manuel at that. Who, taking after his Greek namesake, seemed to be able to peel the cloths off the servant girls with but a glance of his eyes.
20200727164014_1.jpg

20200727164009_1.jpg

But this thing, this woman, she aspired to rule in her own right, and not just transmit the right to rule to her husband or children. And the worse part was that she did all of it brilliantly. She danced around in men’s armor, gave speeches upon horse back, twirled around in skirts and blew kisses at the assembled knights and lords, and they loved her for it. How a creature like this could be a part of god’s plan, let alone desirable, was beyond him. It was like she’d cast some sort of spell that only he was immune to. Why can’t I have magic like that. Raymond cleared his head of the heretical thought.

The rest of the Armenian Nobles followed, swearing to elevate Rita to Queenship upon the death of her father. His younger brother Bohemond, with their youngest brother Henri by his side, raised a cheer to that, and to the eternal peace between the House of Poltiers and the Kingdom of Armenia. Raymond curtly agreed and then ordered the stag’s corpse to be taken back to camp with the hunting party.

“A valiant opponent. May hunters find his like again.”, said King Levon.

They drank and reveled upon their return to camp. Raymond did his duty, conversing amiably with Armenian nobles as well as his own knights and vassals, most notably the new Baron of Byblos.

20200727135150_1.jpg

The lower ranking knights were the most drawn to him. This was not surprising. While his father had always praised his negotiating skills, Raymond found he lacked his brother’s gregarious temperament. He did however try to share in his men’s hardships. And for that they were grateful.

He found himself thinking of Pernelle, the pious daughter of a knight who had accompanied her father when he had fought for him against the Emirate of Damascus. The man had been wounded and Raymond had come across her tending to him. He had died and she had nowhere else to go, so he took her into his service. Most other knights would have done something with her, she probably suspected he would. But he had been motivated by simple Christian charity. As the situation had gotten worse and worse, she had provided a shoulder to cry on. How he wished he had her with him now.

He had done his duty to god. Sacrificed his honor, and that of his family to fight the Crusade against the true enemy of all Christians. So why did he feel so wretched about himself?

That night, as he prepared for bed, a servant informed him that King Levon wanted to meet with him in private. He was tempted to turn the man away. The King had taken his brother and a county, the least he could leave Raymond was his rest. But then it might have been some important matter.

King Levon opened the flap of his tent and stepped in. He was a thin faced man with a full head of grey hair and a surprisingly robust body for a man of his age.

“Is there anything I can do for you, your grace”, he said as coldly as the desert night.

“You could share a drink with me. We drank once before when we pledged peace, but we were surrounded by courtiers and kin. That made it hard to speak honestly, though we both pledged to do so.”

“I never accused you of lying”, Raymond said defensively.

“Nor I you. But there is a great difference between being honest and lying. I am not saying these formal agreements are not important. They let our subjects know our quarrels are done. But personally, I have wanted to talk to you alone, man to man.”

“About what exactly?” Could he be intending to attach some sort of retroactive secret condition to the peace?

“For a start, the fact you hate despise me and my kin.” He held up a hand. “Save the explanations count, it’s been written all over your face since the day we met. Nor do I blame you. Our houses have clashed for decades. We try to keep it impersonal, but that is hard when it comes to family. Many in Armenia believe your father usurped my grandnephew, and no doubt many in Tripoli hate us for the tragic fate of the Baron of Byblos.”

(Picture of House elf Poltiers family tree.).

Raymond struggled to keep his calm. “It would be hard to forget the death of my brother in law.”

20200727135203_1.jpg

Actually most of the family felt little grief at the death of Baron Guido, who had been a prideful, slippery character. Even the man’s own widow, Raymond’s sister Marie, seemed more worried that her next husband might be some hedonist who would place to many demands on her, than actually sad about the Baron’s death. But it did not erase the humiliation Raymond felt at failing to avenge his most powerful vassal.

“Yes of course. Though you must believe me, we had no intention of causing his demise.”

Raymond smirked. “These sorts of things tend to happen in dungeons. I have already accepted your apology, and have pledged to press your grandnephew’s claim to his lands in the Kingdom of Jerusalem in exchange for his accepting me and my brother’s continued rule of Antioch and Tripoli. What more do you want?”

“Is it too much to ask for you to give an old man a chance to sit down with a worthy adversary?”

Raymond raised an eyebrow. “You view me as such?”

“Well of course?”

“Why? You defeated me. You took my city and burned my towns and forced me to cede part of my family’s patrimony. It wasn’t even close.”

“I, a King with six decades of life under his belt, with an army thrice your size of yours defeated you, a count, who had barely grown to manhood, and who was also fighting another enemy. Truly I am shocked.”

“You took a county from me.” Why am I so desperately avoiding accepting this compliment?

“Aye, and kept your younger brother as lord.”

They heard a woman’s scream. Raymond tensed for action, but as his ear adjusted to the sound, it seemed different from someone in distress. And the woman’s calls to the divine didn’t seem like they were a request for aid. And he could vaguely make out the name Ivane, along with some Armenian words that sounded like either curses or cries of encouragement.

Raymond winced, his ears reddening. “Ah um, I think she will be ok. I think I mean I’m certainly no expect on these sorts of things.” Oh lord I sound like such a child.

Levon threw back his head and downed his cup of wine in one shot.

“I was the ideal king in all things but one. I put my wife aside and at one point intended to remarry. But alas I never found there right woman. I had pinned my last hopes on your brother Bohemond’s wife Sybille, so there’s an area where your family managed to defeat me. I suppose Rita should give thanks to the houses of Poltiers and Lusingion for robbing her of a little brother. Plus he still holds Antioch, which I coveted for years.”

“Your daughter is a um remarkable woman.”

The look on the King’s face reminded him who had won the war. “If my daughter were but a man she would posses every virtue befitting a monarch.”

Raymond grinned. “Chastity is also seen as a virtue is it not?” Raymond regretted those words as soon as they left his mouth. It was the dam wine talking.

The King though, took it in surprisingly good stride, perhaps he was too near the grave to care for such things anymore. Levon chuckled like a grandfather about to dispense wisdom to a small child. “By the church maybe, but come now, I thought you wise in the ways of the world. If I had shown more enthusiasm for my conjugal duties I might have four sons instead of only one daughter.”

“I guess father had you beat in that.”
The Death of Bohemond the third.jpg

Levon chuckled. “That he did.” Raymond couldn’t help but warm to the man. This must be the impression Bohemond elicited in others. If only I could replicate it.

“I will warn you and your brothers, my Rita is not to be underestimated. She may be overly enthusiastic in her duties, but she is loyal to her husband, and not a harlot whose favor can be bought by comely looks, unlike what some lords might thing.” The King had a stern look upon his face.

Raymond found himself compelled to explain his poor little brother’s conduct. “It is just a child’s fancy, with my brother I mean.”

“I know, which is why we treat it as such. Honestly I am the most offended at this. Rita thinks of him like an adorable puppy running at her heels while Ivane just thinks it is good to have a loyal vassal.”

“My brother is a good lad. I don’t believe you will have a problem with him, so long as his rights to his county are respected.”

“Well I won’t be around much longer so that won’t be much of an accomplishment. Still, I see your point. Rita and Ivane will be good to any loyal lord. Unlike those dammed Hetoumi.”

He gulped down the wine.

“It’s probably for the best that I never re-married. I will not live to see a son grow to manhood. Frankly I doubt I’d be able to father a child at this point and in any case, whose to say it wouldn’t be a girl. Even if it was a boy, if I were to choose between a regency for a child and the rule of a capable woman, I would choose Rita every time. The lower ranks adore her and her husband. That Ivane’s a good soldier. From the lower nobility, so he took her name upon their marriage. My family name will live on to another generation.”

The King seemed weary. “You seem to have doubts about the way things have gone.”

The King smiled. “Did I ever deny that?”

“I’m just curious as to why you show them to me?”

The King looked right into Raymond’s eyes, like he was searching for a reflection. Whose, the Count did not know. “Perhaps I see a little of my old self in you, Armenian politics after all are not exactly pleasant. Perhaps I don’t want to intrude on my daughter and son in law’s happiness by reminding them of my mortality. Perhaps I realize you will not be able to act on the information. After all, you are too committed to this Crusade of yours to act against me. Your brother Philippe seems like the loyal sort, unlike those dammed Hethemids.”

Raymond thought he understood the King, or at least knew him better than he had before. “And you want your realm to be at peace so your daughter can suppress any threats to the succession.”

“Exactly. I will not have my girl face the same turmoil I did, not if I can help it anyways. That leads to the second way you beat me. I had wanted to install my grandnephew, Raimond-Roupen in Tripoli, maybe Antioch as well. But you dragged out the war so long that I ran out of time. I couldn’t take the risk of the fighting still going on when I died. Your family knows better than anyone how long I’ve lusted after that city, more so than I’ve ever gone after a woman. And yet your brother managed to talk me out of it.”

Raymond scowled. “Quite the charmer that one.”

The king chuckled. “Oh I know that feeling all to well. You want my advice. cooperate with your brother. He has a fine head on his shoulders. Me and my older brother worked together for years.”

“Until you took advantage of his capture to overthrow him.”

“He recognized I was the one most suited to protecting the family’s interests. In any case you make it sound as if I threw him in a dungeon and tossed the key. He left to live in a monastery, where he had a good life, close to god. Sometimes I wish I had done something like that. But then I think not. Life sitting around brooding over old scrolls would be just too boring, even for men of god like you or I, don’t you agree Count Raymond?”

Raymond sighed. “I guess you could say that.”

“Splendid Splendid. I’ll leave you to your rest. Take care my young lord. The road ahead will be long and arduous and may lead to unexpected places.”

The next day the hunting party returned to Antioch for one last night of feasting and revelry. In the morning they would be bidding the city farewell. As usual Bohemond led the merrymaking with his charming japes and childish sense of fun.

Raymond led toasts to the gallantry of those who had fallen in defense of Tripoli. Princess Rita would always join in with her own toasts to the glory of Cilicia, which Philip would join in too enthusiastically for Raymond’s liking, though he grudgingly admitted it was proper for his new role.

Even Princess Sybille, so long confined to bed because of an illness and a difficult pregnancy showed up, her face pale and wane, though she smiled and shown under the attention of her husband and of her mother in law. She danced with each of the Poltiers brothers and with King Levon, who was especially gentle, inquiring after her health, and wishing her and Bohemond the greatest happiness.

20200221174116_1.jpg

The next day they departed. King Levon was returning to his kingdom, while Bohemond and Raymond would lead their troops south for the Crusade.

Along the march, Raymond made an effort to get closer to his brother.

20200727163959_1.jpg

Bohemond explained his plan, to serve as a buffer between Tripoli and Cilicia while giving their cousin his lands in Jerusalem back, he hoped to forestall any continued conflict between Raymond and Levon.

“Young Roupen may wish to take the field against us, but his lands are too vital to the defense of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. His overlords would restrain him.”

Raymond shook his head. “It was the price of peace no doubt, but I don’t think it will put a stop to his ambitions. In any case what would happen if he wed the little Queen of Jerusalem. I have heard rumors of such plans.”

Bohemond shrugged dramatically. “Who knows this early? My spymaster has sent me rumors from all over. Some say the King sent his Chancellor to France to betroth her to one of the Kings bastards. My wife says her sister Alix hopes to wed her unborn son to the Princess. And a spy of mine says there's some strange warlord of unknown religion pressing the Saracens from the east.”

Mongol arival.jpg

“Maybe Jean of Briene is desperate enough to give his daughter to a horse lord. The point is we can never be one hundred percent sure of what the future will bring.”

Raymond smiled in spite of himself. His brother may have “betrayed” him, debased the family name, but he was still bright little Bohdmond, and Raymond couldn’t help but love him. “Look at you being all mature. Giving speeches about the long term perspective, calling a kinsman barely a year younger than yourself a boy. And you’re to be a father as well. It seems treaties weren’t the only thing you were working on while I was warring.”

Bohemond watched him for a bit, like he was trying to determine if his brother’s lightheartedness was a prelude to another rant about betrayal and duty to the house of Poltiers.

“My wife worries. She thinks I pushed her to hard. She’s hardly older than a child herself, she doesn’t think herself ready for the responsibilities of being a mother, or the wife of a Prince. Frankly I worry too some days. Do you think I’m in over my head brother.”

Raymond remembered his conversation with the old King and chuckled. “You know I think all Princes are drowning. It’s just some managed to claw onto the driftwood better than others.”

Bohemond laughed. “Well then lets go off and throw some Saracens in the water.”

He also kept Perenelle with him. She had decided to make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and he had decided to let her have her old job back. “For old times sake”, he explained to her. “My father’s only been dead a few months and already it feels like forever ago”, she had told him back. They both had experience in grief. He told her he knew how she felt. In turn she tried to comfort him about his decision to end the war. For some reason it meant more to him than the words of his bothers or the King of Armenia.

As the army journeyed further south they heard news from both Armenia, Jerusalem, and Europe..

Balian of Sidon had defeated Egyptian forces at Belinas and was besieging Touron, along with the Templars and Hospitallers. The rest of the royal army was raiding south with the regent.

From the north, a herald brought word that King Levon had died and that his daughter Rita was with child, apparently having announced this to him and the Armenian nobility as he was on his deathbed.
20200221181520_1 King levon death.jpg

20200221181520_1.jpg

Raymond couldn’t help but smile that the old man had died knowing his dynasty would continue. Rita and her husband would journey back to Cilicia as quickly as possible, to ward off any rival claimants. So any remaining Armenian threat to Antioch and Tripoli was neutralized for the time being.

Raymond couldn’t help but be disappointed that he would never see the old King again. Though he was happy the man had died well. He recognized the meaning of the old saying that men were made by the quality of their enemies.

From all over Europe, armies rallied to the cross. Though one famous Crusader was sitting out the war, due to having to deal with a heretical rebellion at home.
20200221183834_1.jpg

20200221182325_1.jpg

The army approached the walls of Damascus, after raiding through the countryside of Bequa.

20200719122729_1.jpg

A siege line was established and the Poltiers brothers sent word that they wished to parley. They were met by the Wali of Beqaa, who had abandoned his own lands to act as his lord’s regent. Courtesies were exchanged and Bohemond made his offer.
21st December, Emir Wasil accepts Duke Raimond's peace offer..jpg

“My lord, I am aware we are of different religions. Ours is right and yours is wrong but alas you will not believe what we say. You have your duty to your lord as we have a duty to ours, so alas peace is not possible. However, I would just like to let you know that should your forces ever march against my brother’s lands in Tripoli, I will send your lord back to you, via Trebuchet.”

Raymond’s men then brought out the bound and gaged Emir of Damascus. The man’s hunched stance gave no hint of pride or defiance.

Sure enough they gave in.
21st December, Emir Wasil accepts Duke Raimond's peace offer. coppy.jpg

As the army marched on to Toron Bohemond rode up beside him. “Congratulations brother we’ve won our first war. How does it feel?”

Raymond thought of all the dead soldiers and knights on battlefields. Of the tears in Pernelle’s eyes as she watched her father die, of the ruined villages of Tripoli. Of his own deep grief at the loss of his father. “It feels complete, bother.”

Attachments

• 20200221174116_1.jpg
    20200221174116_1.jpg
    610,4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200727163953_1.jpg
    20200727163953_1.jpg
    149,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3Like
Reactions:
The writing is wonderful, but I am feel as if I am attending a family reunion. I am constantly asking "Who is that person?" and "Why are they important?" This story has the makings of several good AAR's. Have you ever thought about making this a series of stories told to the child queen when she reaches 16 to help her learn the history of her kingdom? If she dies or is de-throned, the flashback motif could be used to explain how that happened. Count Raimond complains that he is not a people person, but his diplomacy of 12 is his strongest stat. Is there a reason for Poltiers instead of Poitiers? Once would be a innocent mistake, but several and I think that the author has a purpose. Thank you for your wonderful writing.

Raymond is not a people person compared to his brother, who is a carouser with an even higher diplomacy stat. I interpret it as him being more of a dealmaker than a charmer, and being more comfortable with ordinary soldiers than the high nobility. Unfortunately I am just not a very good speller. I thought I'd solved some of the "family reunion" problems but it appears I still can't resist mentioning minor characters. Your story idea is interesting. I had intended to at a minimum cover the war. Do you think the story now is too confusing for new readers. I might re write the whole thing along your idea if it's that bad.
I often forget that what is interesting to me might not be interesting to the reader. Ironically this all stemmed from my worry that the regency period would be uninteresting. I am planing to streamline the number of POV characters. When I find a character will be important or interesting in the future I like to give at least one chapter from their point of view. I understand how confusing this can be.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The problem is not that the tale is uninteresting, but rather how it ties to the overall story. The sum is less than the individual parts. The second biggest role (King Levon) dies off stage and will never be part of the most story. I can definitely see the jealousy between Raimond and Bohemond. While both have three star educations, Bohemond outdoes Raimond in Raimond's field (diplomacy, Boehmond's theology). Their total stats are only one point difference with Bohemund big in stewardship and Raimond huge in martial. Raimond is also upset, that Boehmond has a wife and a child on the way, while he is still single. Their titles are probably another sore subject. While both have a county and a duchy (Raimond also has a barony), Raimond's title is count and Boehmond's is duke. For spelling, I looked at the screenshots numerous times. I think, that punctuation marks are pretty, so I toss them around and hope, that the marks will land close to the right place. Your mod requires additional study to find information on screenshots. What is the age of adulthood? I am sorry for being so critical.
PS Another idea is using familiar characters in a small role. For this chapter, UnSavoury could have been on a scouting mission (temporary court banishment).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah that's another thing. Levon was just so interesting I felt I had to give him one chapter to shine. In hindsight that may be a mistake. No don't let up in your criticism, it helps me improve, even if it dents my pride a little. As for the mod, it made the age of adulthood 16, but 14 year olds can marry and have children. I reasoned that the county of Tripoli is considered about as prestigious as the Principality of Antioch, and so their was no quarrel over that. I'll show what happens to them over the course of other chapters and you can decide if you want more from them. I have played as far as 1261, and both these characters end up in really interesting places.

Reactions:
More of the brothers would be great. It was a great branch that needed to be attached to the tree trunk. Levon came off a nice dying old guy but not especially interesting. But his daughter hints at being very interesting. Your chapters are great standalones, but are failing as parts of a whole. Too much of a good thing?
PS My current game is from your neighborhood. 867 Duchy of Oultrejourdain.

Hopefully the Armenians don't end up inadvertently helping the Prince of Antioch against the Queen of Jerusalem. The arrival of the Mongols is certainly a double edged sword, for while they may make the Muslims decline, they can also turn their attentions to the Christians of the East. Excellent chapters!

Reactions:
More of the brothers would be great. It was a great branch that needed to be attached to the tree trunk. Levon came off a nice dying old guy but not especially interesting. But his daughter hints at being very interesting. Your chapters are great standalones, but are failing as parts of a whole. Too much of a good thing?
PS My current game is from your neighborhood. 867 Duchy of Oultrejourdain.
Interesting. Is it part of a crusade or are you playing the Emirate of Outerjordan? These branches converge. I hope that after seeing them you will agree this early built up was worth it. And thank you for praising my chapter quality. Historically Levon was quite interesting, becoming the first King of Armenia and expanding it's borders. I am sorry I failed to convey that in game. Rita comes up again. Historically she was married to Jean of Briene and bore him a son. She was passed over in favor of her younger sister, though Jean tried to claim Armenia in her name. According to one account she tried to poison Isabelle, and in response Jean strangled her to death. I put her here to show the sort of reactions people would have to little Isabelle once she grows up.

Hopefully the Armenians don't end up inadvertently helping the Prince of Antioch against the Queen of Jerusalem. The arrival of the Mongols is certainly a double edged sword, for while they may make the Muslims decline, they can also turn their attentions to the Christians of the East. Excellent chapters!
Thank you. The Mongols will come up again, but they won't be relevant for a few years. I kept forgetting to introduce them and thought Bohemond's offhanded comment would be as good a time as any.

Thank you all for your continued support. The next chapter should come out today or tomorrow.

Reactions:
The emirate. My first Muslim game. Got kicked out of Holy Land by heathen crusaders. King of England does eventually go Sunni.
This game man, it keeps throwing you curveballs.

Reactions:
Chapter 11 January 1214
The Regent

January 1214

“How in the name of god’s shriveled ball sack has it come to this?” Savary lay on a bed, dressed in soiled rags and coughing up blood.

“Our forces ventured too far north, we were unable to to reinforce you”, said Alphonse.

“No, you would just have died alongside the rest of the men. The defeat was my fault. I stayed put because I wanted to take all the loot we collected with us.” Savary let out another spamming cough. “That and I was too fucking sick to think clearly.”

20200802105722_1.jpg

Jean paced around the room saying nothing, feeling the worry lines on his forehead. The war had been going so well. His armies had won four victories against the Sultan’s scattered levies.
20200221205517_1.jpg

Balian of Sidon’s forces in the north had won at Belinus and were beginning to besiege Toron.

20200221180420_1.jpg

Meanwhile, in quick time Jean and Alphonse had completed Richard the Lionheart’s march to Jerusalem and defeated the small Saracen force mustering at Ramala to oppose them.

Jean had been so jubilant that he and his men had ridden past the walls of the Holy city with the captured standards in their hands, dodging arrow fire all the while. Giddy with triumph, he told Alphonse of his plans to raise him to Duke of Outerjordan.

20200221181625_1.jpg

Savary was pillaging the countryside around Rafah, scattering the small local militia sent to oppose him. He had wanted to go further into Egypt, but Jean had sent a message back ordering him to stay where he was and watch for any Egyptian force approaching Jaffa-Askelon.
20200221181452_1.jpg

Meanwhile Jean had received word of an enemy force mustering in the old Ibelin county of Nablus. He and Alphonse had confronted and defeated it with ease.
4th of December Savary makes contact with larger Egyptian army, Khalida is pregnant,.jpg

But as they celebrated the news they received a grave message from Savary. His forces were being approached by an army of Egyptians over eight times it’s size. Jean had raced back south, but he had been too late.
20200221183514_1.jpg

A knock came at the door. “Who is it”, said Jean.

“A messenger sir", said the guard. "He says he brings news from the King of Cyprus.”
About fucking time. “Bid him enter.”
The guard obeyed and the messenger, a man at arms bearing the Lusingion coat of arms, entered.
“Your Grace, King Hughes is honored to receive a message from a knight as distinguished as yourself. He commands your heroic efforts in defending the south of your realm. However, he believes that confronting the Caliph’s forces in Jaffa Askelon would be a mistake. They are far closer to home and reinforcements and would outnumber our combined forces by roughly two to one. Therefore he is moving his army to the north to link up with Balian of Sidon, the Holy orders, and the men from Antioch and Tripoli. He suggests that you do the same.”
Jean thanked the messenger and sent him on his way. Hughes would miss his rendezvous. Jean had ordered Sidon to either storm Toron or lift the siege, and then immediately head south to reinforce his army. If Hughes had only obeyed Jean's summons, they would have had a fighting chance. But the youth was too proud and stupid to listen to his elders and now they had no choice but to run.

Siege of Touron December 20th.jpg

“That fucker!”, exclaimed Savary. “I take back what I said earlier. I was not responsible for the defeat. He was. If that little shit of a king had disembarked his army in Jaffa or Askelon and marched to meet me, we could have won the thing. Instead he lands off Caesarea, doesn’t bother to attack the city, and heads north. Did a horse kick him in the head or something?”

Alphonse struck a thoughtful pose. “I don’t think so. I have never heard the King’s intelligence being described as anything worse than average. However our defeat does serve his interests. If Jean were to die Jerusalem would have need of a new regent. They might turn to Ibelin, or they might turn to Hughes, whose wife has a claim to the throne, and who happens to have 4,000 swords at his command. That tends to make one persuasive. The reign of his father Aimery is fondly remembered, and both my wife and the Count of Beirut have told me that many in the High Court wished to see the union with Cyprus continue.”

Jean’s blood broiled as he took in the information.

“If he has some decency he will let the Queen retain a high ranking tittle. Maybe Duchess of Acre or Countess of Jaffa-Askelon. Should Alix give him a boy, he may wed him to Isabelle to unite the claims. Of course if he’s inclined towards wickedness…”

Alphonse paused, no doubt thinking of his own precious son, safe behind the walls of Acre. “Little children die all the time, from sickness-”

“Or falls from high ledges”, added Savary.

Jean thought back to when he had met the young King of Cyprus. The two had shared a wedding day, each marking a daughter of the first Queen Isabelle of Jerusalem. They had not gotten along. The quasi incestuous nature of Hughes marriage, even if the Pope had given his blessings, had sickened him. But even worse the King, in the words of Savary, had suffered from the unfortunate ailment of being an insufferable little shit.

He’d refused to reward Jean’s Uncle Garuntheir for his service as regent and instead dismissed him. Jean had demanded to know his reasons and the King had spewed some lies about his Uncle being a thief and a craven. If he could so easily disown one brother in law, why wouldn’t he turn on another?

And then at the wedding feast, his speech had been the bastard born abomination of meekness and braggadocio. He’d gone on and on about the illustrious heritage of is father and the wealth of Cyprus, all the while talking about how those things were an honor and about how he wasn’t worthy of them and how he thanked god every day for his blessings. The priests were praising his piety, swooning after him like a bunch of smitten girls.

He’d also praised the beauty of both sisters too much for Jean’s liking. Not that he’d been jealous of the sixteen year old king, or thought that his wife would prefer to have him for a husband or anything like that. Nor did he envy the fact that Hughes was a “real” king, while Jean only ruled by right of his wife. And he, Jean of Briene, a forty two year old man, certainly hadn’t spent the entire trip up the coast of Tyre for their coronation brooding and wondering if his wife and her sisters, who rode together and gossiped every day, weren’t making fun of him behind his back. Such things were beneath the dignity of a knight of Champaign. No, Hugh had nothing for Jean to envy. Nothing at all.

“That man will get Jerusalem over my dead body!”, Jean declared loudly.

“I believe that was his plan”, snarked Savary.
20200221184815_1.jpg

“Oh shut up you”, Jean said warmly. As if bantering like it was old times would bring those happy days back.

Savary seemed ready to retaliate with one of his usual witty retorts, but was interrupted by another eruption of coughing.

Savary waved off any attempts to help him.

“Well if you two hope to get out of here in time your going to have to work with the man I’ve been telling you about.”

“No.”

“Look I don’t like this any more than you do, but we don’t have a choice. He’s proven to be a more useful ruler of this city than the dammed mayor, and men in his employ saved my wretched life after (name of battle.)”

“He could save the life of a bloody saint for all I care. I won’t subject this Crusade to the wrath of god by taking on a….a…

20200221183635_1.jpg

“I believe the word your looking for is Jew”, Savary added helpfully.

“To put one of them at the head of an army of Christians fighting in the name of god, it would be a travesty. The men would mutiny! God would forsake our cause.” God would forsake me.

“And that’s assuming he doesn’t betray us before that. This man is not of our faith and has no reason to love us. He commanded a band of outlaws and thugs who defied our rule. I am told he is hated even by the headmen of his own community.” It was like Alphonse to share his master’s objections, but be more diplomatic in expressing them.

“A man after my own heart”, snarked Savory.

“We’ve known you for years. We trust you”, said Alphonse.

“I’m touched, really. And if you trust me so much, then trust my judgement on this. You need this fucker, and he’s willing to work with us. His men control the docks. We can hack them down, but then we’d lack the men to man the ships. So then I guess you’ve have to face the Sultan’s army in Jaffa. I doubt you find that an appealing prospect.”

“Then fight we shall. Accepting his offer would be a humiliation. An embarrassment we’d never be able to recover from.”

“Better that than dead. And you would be far from the first Christians to make alliances with heathens.” Savary’s voice was horse and frantic. He was desperate to make Jean understand his point, but the regent would not back down.

“We will be the first to make alliances with a common born heathen, and to give him a commanding role in our army.”

“Oh for fucks sake! You and I both know a large portion of our army is made up of Muslim mercenaries or Eastern Christians. And half the Latins have less piety than a whore attending confession. Knights are a prideful lot I know, so just don’t have him give orders to any knights.” Savary managed to get the words out just before another coughing fit claimed him.

Alphonse shook his head and looked long and hard at his friend. His expression was one of concern. “Savary, you are making an awful lot of sense lately. To be honest that scares me, more than you usually do. Is it really that bad?”

Savary smiled like a worn out knife. “I’m a dying man. Maybe that’s what changed me. Don’t try to reassure me. I know that in a fortnight I will be as much of a bloated corpse as the Bishop Guilhielm.”

20200804102114_1.jpg

Jean had thrown the man in the dungeon and forgotten about his existence. As it turns out he had passed some months ago. The guards had only discovered his corpse after the stench became too repugnant even for a dungeon.

“My lord, with all due respect, I’m about to die in your service having accomplished almost nothing lasting, and having been given little reward. Please at least meet with the man, think of it as my last request.”

Jean thought back to his days as a knight, the years he had fought beside Savary and Alphonse. How the knight had stuck with him in the Holy Land even after almost all the others deserted him.

“Alphonse, make the arrangements with the man’s representatives. I’ll hear what he has to say.” That didn’t mean he had to like it though.

The meeting took place the next day in the council chambers. Their guest was an ugly man, not surprising given his occupation. Yet his cloths were clean, and he carried himself with the demeanor of a man who knew how to conduct himself in a place of power. At the very least Hallel had the courtesy to kneel before addressing his betters.

Jean bid him rise.”

“I’m told you’ve caused the mayor quite a bit of trouble.” That would be an understatement. The whole southern half of the kingdom had been in turmoil thanks to the outbreak. The war, and the return of the Court to Acre, had only stirred things up further, while depriving the area of the men necessary to maintain order. Hallel had been some sort of bruiser in Jaffa, the leader of a gang that was said to be comprised of the scum of every tribe and religion in the Holy Land. The mayor had tried to crack down by impaling a few cutpurses, but that had only made them angrier. By the time Jean had returned, they only controlled the walls and the citadel. The rest of the town was Hallel’s dominion.

20200801125745_1.jpg

The ugly man chuckled. “I’d call him a half wit, but then I’d say he has only about a third of a wit. It’s why he had to resort to impalement to deter my men. He didn’t have the wits to thwart us nor the strength to compel obedience.”

Jean grimaced. “It is bold for a heretic to sit in my presence and insult my representatives.”

Halel kneeled. “Forgive me. I meant you no offense. He is the representative of the Burghers of this town. And so insignificant you have no doubt hardly bothered to trouble yourself with him, save for now, when you view his failures as an obstacle towards your victory in this Crusade. You have no need to worry my good sir. He was mayor before you showed up, so his failures bring no dishonor upon your person. Besides, we are all loyal Queensmen here in Jaffa. Why, I dare say it is the highest act of loyalty for a subject to rid the Queen, and her father, of such incompetent administrators.”

Jean doubted that opinion very much, but the fact that the rabble still felt the need to cloak themselves in his daughter’s colors showed social order hadn’t broken down completely.

“What would you want, in exchange for your help?”

The Jew rose and looked him right in the eyes. He has the eyes of a soldier. Whatever else I may think of him, he has those. “I’d want a command, a place at your court, and the right for subjects of the Jewish faith to live and worship in the Holy City.”

“You ask for much”, Jean replied bluntly.

“I know. But I offer you much in exchange. I can get your ships sailing in two days. I can provide you scouts with knowledge of the land. I can rally the people of Jaffa to it’s defense, something you would say is important now yes? The Kings and Queens of Jerusalem have relied upon my people to provide physicians, tutors, and doctors. I say if you can trust a man to heal you, why not trust him to fight by your side. A treacherous soldier is much easier to defend against than a false physician. I will not betray you, no more than the physicians and tutors who have served this Kingdom for generations. You can see by the way I have taken control of this city, the kind of tactical skill you are dealing with. I don’t know about you, but I’d much rather use those skills to twist the Sultan’s beard than pester lackwit mayors.”

Jean thought long and hard. This man had a sense of pride, and yet he knew enough to keep a deferential demeanor. If only he was a Christian, Jean would accept the offer without the slightest thought, he was that desperate for a way out of Jaffa.

“We can’t give you a formal rank, not yet anyways, but I can offer you a position by a side. You would make things much easier for both myself and your immortal soul if you would just convert to Christianity.”

The Jew laughed. “And have all those years spent pouring over Talmund scrolls wasted? No thank you. That would be worse than your hell.”

“I hear you have been excommunicated by the respectable elements of your community. Why continue to a faith that has disowned you?”

He laughed. “Well we don’t have a communion to be barred from, but I see your point. Still, I am something of a high priest of the unrespectable parts of my religion. And even the respectable ones value me. I provide a valuable and useful service to them, and I hope to continue providing it at your court. You will find we can be quite useful for any ruler wise enough to use us. And you sir, strike me as a wise one, even if most others see you as a mere man in armor off to wack people with a stick. You have the look of a conqueror, and believe me, I know that look.”

Jean had once found many things about this land strange. The exotic food, how even the commoners wore silks, the seeming obsession with baths, especially on the part of noblewomen. But by far the strangest of all was the tolerance shown to heathens and heretics, in a Kingdom that was supposed to be dedicated to their destruction. Gradually, Jean had succumb to the local customs. The food did not taste quite so strange after a couple of servings, indeed the spices improved it. He had dismissed the baths as eastern decadence, but then found himself feeling refreshed after a bath, and better able to take on the day’s tasks. It seemed as if he was to find himself falling for another eastern vice. Religious toleration. You win this one you old jackass.

Jean liked what this man was saying, even if he detested his faith and his looks. He had need of a new dog and Hallel seems a good fit for the role.

Jean spoke to Savary right after he had sent Alphonse away.

“Savary. I know I have not been as close to you as Alphonse. But I value your loyalty. You stayed by my side when few others did. I know you wanted more for your service. For what it’s worth, I had planned to give you a keep, maybe a highborn wife.”

Savary erupted into a fit of something between coughing and laughter. “There were days when I was angry at how you favored Alphonse over me, your grace.”

He shook his head. “It was a fucking stupid thing. At the end of the day I am a knight and you are my lord. You gave me plenty of coin and I spent it all on drink and whores. Oh they felt grand in the moment no doubt about it. But looking back now, I feel so empty. And at the end of the day the girl choose Alphonse, I doubt anyone would choose me for anything.” Jean took his friend’s worn hand.

“I choose you Savary. I choose you because you were a dam good soldier. You needn’t worry about a thing. You took up the cross. You are a soldier of God Savary. Whatever happens to us here on Earth, you will be rewarded in paradise.”

“Oh piss off, you know me better than anyone. I am a cruel, wrathful, greedy man who only found the good sense to fear god’s wrath as he was on his deathbed.”

Jean looked him right in the eyes. When he spoke, it was as if he was giving a command. “That does not matter in the end. All that matters is that you give your heart, and your life, to Christ’s cause.”

Savary sighed. “Believe what you will, your grace.”

Jean held his hand through he coughing fits.

“Is there anything more I can do for you?” There were tears welling in his yes. Tears for the most brutal man he had ever known. Why had god made him so soft? His mother had always said he had a good heart, but Jean had always felt those sorts of sentiment a weakness, and had done the best to block those feelings out.

“Take Hallel into your service, and stay with me while I die.”

Jean held his hand though the night as he began to fade away. As the sun peaked over the horizon Savary began to mutter feverishly, feverish.

“Where am I? What is going on? Jean, Alphonse, mother? Where are you?”

Jean held Savary and quieted him.

“It’s okay good sir knight. Your in your keep. You’ve slept late. Your wife is downstairs with the children. Boys all. Your line grows strong indeed my lord.”

“Savary nodded. “Is she beautiful.

Jean smiled. He thought he knew his friend well enough to guess what he wanted.

“She is your grace, the flower of the realm they called her, and beautiful still under your care.

Savary bobbed his head and coughed. “Yes. Yes I know. I would never mistreat a lady. Only whores. Only whores and traitors and enemies. Not like what father did to mother. I swear to god I never let the dogs get in on it, or the horses or the cats, I’ll kill them, I’ll kill them all before I let them get to mother.

Just what kind of life made a man like Savary. It was too late for Jean to ask. He hadn’t been there when his own mother died, when his father fell at the siege of Acre, or to hear his brother’s last words muttered on foreign soil. He hadn’t been there to hold and comfort Maria, who he’d sworn an oath to protect. And now it seemed even Savary would not give him closure at the end.

“Yes, yes it is true. A strong lord protects those he cares about.”

“My boys”, Savary called out weakly. “My brave strong boys, Jean, Alphonse, little Savary, take care of them, and my sweet lady wife.”

Jean couldn’t help it if the rain got in his eyes, the rain that came in spite of a clear sky, and somehow managed to get though the roof. “I promise you Savary, your legacy will live on.”

Savary was quiet for a time, his breathing growing weaker and weaker.

As the end drew near he called out again, weakly. “Wench, Wench, I need me a buxom serving wench.”

Jean instinctively came to the soldier’s side. Savary looked up disappointed. “You aren’t what I asked for, though I doubt the wife would approve of me plowing the regent any more than her serving girls.”

Savary had a wide toothy grin on his face. “You should see the way you look. God if my insides weren’t all fucked up I would have laughed the whole time. Forget war and forget all this knight shit, you should be a troubadour my good sir.”

He erupted into a spasm of coughing.

“You knew it was fake the whole time?”

“Of course I did, did you think I’d let myself die a half wit.”

Savary’s last moments were a spasm of laughing and coughing.

And there died a vicious but loyal hound. Jean couldn’t help but smile. Savary had gone out in the most Savary way possible. Would he be so lucky?

Notes: So yeah this begins another stylistic experiment on my part. Let me know how you like my numbering of chapter sections.

Attachments

• 20200802105722_1.jpg
    20200802105722_1.jpg
    136,5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200803153245_1.jpg
    20200803153245_1.jpg
    609,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Damn, that last scene actually had me feeling a bit of sympathy for Savary -- and then he revealed he was tweaking Jean the whole time. It was a very Savary-like way to go, indeed.

This Hallel fellow must have had an interesting life indeed: An erudite scholar with an exceptional mind and a way with flowery phrases, but also a proud and cynical vagabond who apparently killed one of his own kinsmen. He'll definitely be worth keeping an eye on.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Probably the best chapter! Poor UnSavoury! What we will do for comedy?
Thanks. Hopefully I top it. I think Hallel might provide a lot of comedy, though he is not as close to Jean and of a diferent faith, so he has to tread carefully.

Damn, that last scene actually had me feeling a bit of sympathy for Savary -- and then he revealed he was tweaking Jean the whole time. It was a very Savary-like way to go, indeed.

This Hallel fellow must have had an interesting life indeed: An erudite scholar with an exceptional mind and a way with flowery phrases, but also a proud and cynical vagabond who apparently killed one of his own kinsmen. He'll definitely be worth keeping an eye on.
Yeah. I was originally going to make it a real sort of dying dream. But then I thought of all the things he's done and his general personality and I thought it would work better as one last joke. I'm glad you liked it.

Yeah Hallel has quite the interesting career ahead of him. Introducing him is hard because he is quite the snarker, and very proud, but he needs to grovel before Jean, or else he'd probably loose his head. The Kingdom of Jerusalem is a multicultural society, but they do not see diversity as a good. And newly arrived Crusaders, like Jean, are the worse.

Reactions:
Poor Jean, it seems that many of those he cares about leave him forever. Savary may have been uncouth and overly cruel, but he was loyal, which ust count for something in an age where treachery was rampant. Hopefully the Crusade succeeds, yet it would seem that Jean has underestimated the strength of the Muslims. Great job, I really enjoyed reading this!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 12: February 1214
February 1214
Castle Belvior, County of Tiberas

They met in the command tent by flickering candlelight. The war council consisting of Jean of Briene, the Poltiers brothers, the Count of Sidon, the Grandmasters of the Templars and Hospilters, and the irritating Lusingion boy. “My lords, it seems to me we must resolve things and soon.” King Hughes said from the head of the table, the spot Jean had hoped to claim. Alas the sneaky fucker had gotten to the meeting before everyone else, and claimed the place of honor. Jean could have fought him for it, but he had decided to be the bigger man.

“A most astute observation your Grace, the army struggles to find supplies. Meanwhile our enemies grow stronger by the day. The longer we delay seeking battle the more time the Caliph has to concentrate his forces against us.”, said the Grandmaster Guerin. Of late he had been especially sweet on the King of Cyprus. In part it was a reaction to Jean forbidding him from executing the Saracen prisoners taken at Toron. Jean had thought such displays unchivalrous, and wanted to avoid them as much as possible.
Taking on a Jew as a commander had not done him any favors with the Holy Orders as well.

20200221190359_1.jpg

The Count of Sidon made the next suggestion. “We need to wrap up the siege. I propose we fling a child over the battlements every day. By the end of next week they’ll be crawling to us for mercy.”

“I consider myself a just man, but the heretics have driven me to such wroth, that I am liking your plan, my Count of Sidon”, said grandmaster Gurrien.

Count Raymond looked like he was about to gag. His brother Bohemond was furious. “In addition to being barbarous and un-Christian, have none of you stopped to think what the Saracens would do to Christian captives after hearing of an atrocity like this. Like for example, I don’t know my wife and child besieged in Antioch?!”

Siege of Antioch.jpg

“They won’t give a dam about peasants”, said Grandmaster Guillame of the Templars with evident exasperation.

“That’s a chance I am not willing to take”, said Bohemond.

“And what weight does your opinion carry my dear Prince”, Balian Grienier spat the last word. “Most of your men, all measly 300 or so are off raiding Jeresh. All you have with you are your personal guard. And I reckon I am worth all three of them.

Jean had heard enough. “All of this is a waste of time. The enemy approaches. Any serious attempt to take Belvior might be foiled by their forces. That is a risk we cannot afford. My scouts report 13,000 marching towards Ceasaria and another 6,000 gathering at Nablus. No doubt they plan to converge and attack us. We should find a suitable position and prepare for battle.”

“All the more important then that we neutralize the garrison in our rear. Unless you are too much of a coward for that, Lord Regent.” Spat Gurrien.

It took all the self control Jean had not to slug the Hospitler in the face. “Grandmaster. The Hospitlers have always fought valiantly in defense of our Kingdom. It is for that reason, and for the tender kindness of my late wife and Queen, that I forgive your trespass. But should you dare to challenge my honor again, I will have no choice but to resort to a duel to settle the matter.” They both knew the Jean was twice the fighter the grandmaster was. That didn’t mean that he would admit to being cowed though. The grandmaster cursed a series of foul oaths. “Well let us see what the true monarch her thinks”, he said gesturing to Hughes.

The King looked around nervously. Jean had to laugh. He had tried to look important without making any decisions. Well now commend fell into his lap. Let the little shit see how much he liked being blamed for everything.

At last he said “Grandmaster, I admire your courage in battle and your zeal in confronting the heathen. However I think Jean has made some observations that cannot be dismissed.

He turned to the war council. “What say you my lords”

The others hemmed and hawed and tried to maintain their pride, but in the end they all reached the same conclusion. An immediate assault was too risky, it was logistically impossible to stay long enough for a proper siege, and Balian Greinier’s suggestion was simply too barbaric to be adopted. The army had to move on, but to where? They left the meeting having made no progress.

Jean decided he’d go to see the Baron of Haifa and the Mayor of Acre, who were in charge of coordinating supplies, as befit their mercantile inclinations.

The explained the grim state of things to him and Jean in turn found himself grousing about the council meeting to them. It was probably because Alphonse had left to command the scouts, it was his report that had informed Jean of the converging enemy forces.

They did not seems surprised at all by the discord of the meeting. “Most of us wanted to take no prisoners, or at least cut that bastard’s head off. We lost a lot of men in the assault. After enduring agony like that, a man deserves vengeance”, said Haifa, who Jean knew had spent the battle at the rear, claiming that he needed to “direct” the siege engines from afar.

Mayor Amedee agreed. “While I would never go so far as harming a child, at least not at first, Sidon is not wrong that a certain display of force might be in order.”

Jean growled. “At least tell me you would have hanged Gurrien for what he did, if he were any other man that is.”

Haifa stroked his beard and got that annoying far away look that men who thought too much often had. “If he were any other man yes, but he is not. We cannot afford to alienate him.”

Jean was about to say that he knew that when a horn sounded. One blast, that was for scouts returning.

A party of knights was let past by the camp guard. They carried the royal banner, and Jean recognized the man at it’s head at once.

“I’m surprised the Saracens didn’t shoot you full of arrows.”

“They tried.” Alphonse removed his helmet. “And as you can see they failed.”

“I’ve missed you good sir”

“And you as well your Grace.” He gestured to a man in the formation. Credit to the Marshall, he was riding to every village to scrounge up men until the enemy were almost upon him. It’s how we found this vital news.”

The man removed his helmet. Well shit. It was Marshall Yves, who had used his duties as an excuse to make himself scare. His wedding to a Saracen woman and not made him many friends amongst the nobility.

He dismounted and kneeled. When he spoke he did so quickly and with urgency. “Your Grace, there is so much I wish to explain to you, but the matter I have before you is too urgent to be put alongside any lesser concern.”

“Speak of it then”, Jean said gruffly.

“Your Grace, I bring urgent news. The enemy army, all of it, has been seen converging on Haifa. I saw them when I was recruiting from a nearby village. I only barely made it out. Most of the recruits were not so lucky.”

“I can second his account. We found him engaged in a fighting retreat from enemy scouting cavalry. The Marshall and his men fought well.”

“Dam how well they fought, my family is in that castle. I have made improvements since coming into the barony but the truth is that Haifa will not be able to hold for long. We need to march at once.” Arnol’s tone of voice would brook no disagreement, not even from his King.

“It’s not just the Baron’s lands that are at risk. Once they take Haifa, I have no doubt they will try to take Acre and capture the Queen. We can’t let that happen. It would be the ruin of the Kingdom”, exclaimed Mayor Amedee.

“Those were my thoughts exactly. That’s why were rode straight for your camp”, said Yves.

Jean grimaced. “You lords are son keen on forming a response that it seems you hardly need your King”, Jean said with biting sarcasm. He couldn’t let them forget who was in charge.

Even more importantly, he couldn’t let the enemy capture his family. They’d probably treat them courteously, Saladin had always been known to be chivalrous to the wives and children of defeated foemen.

Still, Jean couldn’t take the chance. With a girl so young, they might try to raise her in their faith, maybe throw her in his son’s harem when she came of age. Jean would not allow that to happen to his little girl. He wouldn’t let it happen to Maria’s little girl. He had pledged to protect her and failed. The least he could do was keep her daughter safe.

On a more venal level, a regent who couldn’t protect the Queen would surely be deposed, and that was assuming there was even a kingdom of Jerusalem to rule over, which if Acre fell, seemed highly unlikely.

It was ironic. He had moved the Queen and royal court to Acre to keep them safe, and yet the Muslims had only sent raiders into Jaffa-Askelon, preferring to head through Hebron and bypass the County’s fortified cities and towns.

Jean called an immediate council of war to explain the situation. “Well it seems your plan to just sit and wait for battle has gone to shit, my lord of Breiene.” The grandmaster almost spat the last word. Jean’s resolve though was unbroken.

“You will address me as your grace or I will expel you from this tent.”

The grandmaster stood up, showing off his impressive physique. “With what army? Be careful good sir knight. We Hospitlers are not just one of the strongest armies in Outremer, we have friends all over Europe. The fool who angers us would have great cause to regret his actions.”

King Hughes stepped between the men. “My lords, whatever else has happened the reality is that we cannot let Acre fall. My men will march with the regent.” The other lords gave their ascent.

It was no easy thing to move a town of some twenty thousand souls, let alone move it at a rapid pace, and discreetly. They kept a tight formation, with the Templars and Hospitlers holding the front and rear of the column. The made good time, in spite of the difficulties. Still, everyone’s nerves were wracked.

Jean sent Alphonse off to resume his scouting. Before he left, Alphonse advised him to put as much of the army as possible under the command of his loyal vassals. “The Cyrpiots and Hospitlers especially are not to be trusted.” He warned. Jean already knew that, but having Alphonse say it only strengthened his resolve. “

They encountered the enemy host arrayed for battle, having evidently broken off the siege, or having never begun one in the first place. Regardless, they held the high ground on the slopes of Mount Caramel.

Alphonse and the Mayor Amedee rode up to Jean. “We’ve scouted the enemy positions. They number around 13,000.”

“But where are the rest? Jean thought for a bit. “They might be preparing to ambush us.”

Jean would not risk deploying his cavalry just yet, he would need them as a counter if the rest of the Muslim army showed itself. Jean took up a position on a rise behind the battle lines to command the battle.

The infantry formed up into three groups. The first, under Count Raymond, who had insisted on fighting with his men on foot, agains the usual protocol of his rank, was on the left.

The center would be led by the Count’s vassal, the mayor of Tripoli, who was a brilliant strategist and had experience in leading assaults over rough terrain.
20200823152843_1.jpg

He would be assisted in this by Alphonse. Hallel would command Jean’s forces on the right. He would be joined by contingents from the Holy Orders and Cyprus, to make sure he did not defect to the enemy or attempt to spread subversion amongst the soldiers.

Most of the nobles, including Prince Bohemond, and the commanders of the Templars and Hospitlers, would stay in the center and charge when the enemy had been softened up, or if the rest of the Islamic army showed itself.

The entire battle line line moved forward, the skirmishers exchanging fire with the enemy. Occasionally squadrons of light cavalry would rush out and attempt to disrupt the the Egyptian and Turkish light infantry scattered about on the hillside.

The Count of Tripoli ordered his men to halt and form a shield wall, but the formation was sloppy, Jean guessed the men had difficulty with the rocky terrain. In contrast the Muslim force on the left was able to flawlessly repel both arrow fire and the teasing charges of the light cavalry, including the special camel cavalry that Jean hadn’t seen in any European army.

In the center, Alphonse and the mayor played a careful game of cat and mouse with the Captain of the Malmucks, whose banner flew above the battlefield. Both sides fainting and flexibly moving their infantry and skirmishers forwards and back, searching for an opening and covering weak spots.

On the right Hallel was able to repulse all attempts to skirmish with his forces. The strength of the Jew’s shield walls would impress even the Romans of old. Meanwhile his own skirmishers counterattacked to devastating effect, raining arrows down on the lightly armed Ayubid infantry and sweeping their light cavalry from the field. Jean couldn’t help but contain his admiration.

However the attack soon became confused and the formation began to break. Jean cursed under his breath. In his years of soldiering Jean had carefully crafted a commander’s voice. He used that now. “Baron Haifa, I’m leaving to inspect the right. Your in command here. We’ve practiced together, and I trust you not to do anything I wouldn’t do in the same circumstance. Do not disappoint. Am I understood?”

“Yes your grace”, the Baron yelled back, but Jean was already riding furiously for the right. No doubt the others would protest, but he did not trust this collection of green boys to make the right decision. And while the Holy orders were skilled, after their recent quarrels, he had headed Alphonse’s advice and not trusted them with his interests.

He reached the right under heavy arrow fire, where Hallel was in a furious back and forth with a flock of Bishops led by Bishop Aimery of Konstantenia.
20200824074535_1.jpg

“You cannot expect men of god to shed their blood on the orders of one whose people shed the blood fo Christ!” Exclaimed another of Hughes’s Bishops, Henri if Jean recalled his name correctly.
Bishop Aimery.jpg

“You are doing so under the orders of Jean of Breine, King of Jeruslum by marriage, who has ordered you to obey me. Defying me is defying him, and I think you both know the usual punishment for desertion on a battlefield.”

“You dare speak such words to a priest of god Christkiller!”, exclaimed one templar Knight, who drew steel. Jean raced up and blocked the blade with his sword.

“What’s your name Sir?”

“My father called me Aimery, Sir”, spat the Templar. Well this will make things mighty confusing.

1598229768663.png

(picture.)

“Well, Sir Aimery. Any scratch you make on my commander, I will personally inflict on you tenfold.” Jean shouldn’t have cared one whit what happened to the Jew. But it had been a long and bloody day, his nerves were frayed, and he would not tolerate the disrespect of having a commander he chose be gutted by his own allies.

Bishop Aimery spoke first. “Your Grace”, my apology for the impasse. We did not want to trouble you”

“Well you did a fine fucking job of that”, Jean spat, like a common soldier.

“I understand your needs as a king, to find quality commanders I mean. And unlike some here”, he glared at his colleague and at the Templar knights. “I do not hate Hallel, in fact I think him a fine soldier. But he is not a Christian, and the fact remains that until he is baptized, he remains unfit to lead Christians into battle.” The priest exhaled a breath. Jean got the sense that he was not used to defying authority figures. The common soldiers didn’t seem to mind Hallel, but it was clear that the’d lost the respect of their leaders, who were men Jean needed. Should I really buckle to some ranting fanatics in the middle of a battle.

Hallel spoke through gritted teeth. “Your Grace, it would appear that I have lost the confidence of those I command. I can’t hope to lead them if they do not wish to be led. I request that you relieve me.”

He’s falling on his sword for me. “I accept your offer Hallel.” He turned to the Bishop. “Do not disappoint me. Continue the attack.”

He bowed. “Yes your Grace.”

Jean returned to his horse. “Hallel you come with me.”

“I am in your debt”, Jean declared as they kicked there horses into motion.

“I will remember that”, Hallel replied.

Riding back to the center, he witnessed a commotion. The Mamlucks had launched a devastating charge, forcing the center group off the hill. The light infantry rallied and stood firm. Jean knew this was Alphonse’s work. The common born knight had a way with infantry that even an expected commander like Jean couldn’t help but envy.

Jean watched in horror as the banners of the cavalry receded. That son of a whore means to leave me to die. But they did not flee. They wheeled around to the right, where a gap had formed between Alphonse’s troops and those in the center. It was a reckless move. The charge could easily scatter, or hit their own men. But the King was young and hot headed and no doubt though himself invincible.

The charge took the enemy center in the flank, sending it to flight.

The die was cast. Jean rode up to Baron Arnol who was pale in the face. “Your Grace, I tried to stop them, but the King said..”

“Never mind what the Lusingion boy said, we’ll deal with that later. Send whatever reserves we still have to the right.

Infused with new reinforcements, the right surged forward. The enemy must have thought Jean’s left was weakened, because he sent his left flank’s light cavalry forward. Jean hastened to the left with his personal guard. H was concerned that the left might have collapsed, but Count Raymond had halted them to devastating effect.

“Mind if I join you my lord Count”, he asked courteously.

“It would be my honor your Grace”, Raymond said with a laugh.

The enemy line was broken. Unable to reform on the high ground, the outcome was inevitable. Jean couldn’t tell which broke first, the center or the right, but in the end it hardly mattered. The enemy was swept from the field
20200221192350_1.jpg

Cheers rang out from the battlements of Castle Haifa. Banners of the Knights Templar and Hospitiler, as well as the royal sigil were easy enough to find. A red drape was festooned with a cross to make a hasty banner of Tripoli. Jean spied an battered and worn old old shield with the quartered red and lilies on blue of Antioch, probably from the third Crusade being held aloft. So it seemed not even Bohemond’s minor contribution had not been forgotten. For a time it seemed all the old quarrels had been forgotten. King Hughes clasped arms with Alphonse and complimented his valor, while Alphonse returned the sentiment.

Both of the Grandmasters agreed Jean had picked the right place to seek battle.

The gates of Haifa castle swung open in triumph, inviting the victorious arm to rest and revel. The keep itself was not nearly large enough accommodate the entire army. A few lords and knights entered while the majority pitched their tents outside, or else took up quarters in the town.

The castle itself was nothing impressive. A stout keep with a view overlooking a small town with a well developed harbor. Jean assumed the efforts at refurbishment had been courtesy of the current Baron Haifa, who was displaying his castle to the gathered grandees.

“It’s not much, certainly not compared to what it once was. I thank the first Crusaders for taking this castle for Christ, but alas, I fear they were a bit overzealous in their destruction of the old town.”

Bishop Henri could not abide this insult upon the Crusaders of old. “This city teamed with Christkillers and money changers. What was done was righteous.” Amery the Knight could not resist joining in. If anything any true Christian should regret the fact that any escaped, and that those who died did so by the sword, and not the flame. Unless you are a heretic lover like our good Baron Monsinguard. My understanding is that she is not of Latin blood.”

Haifa rounded on him. “I am a man of god, be thankful for that or you’d be flat on your ass. But do not presume to insult me or my lady wife in my castle or I swear I shall give you a thrashing worse than the horrid things you no doubt like to do to alter boys. She is a Maronite Christian she took the Latin rite when we wed. No man can question her piety. As for your other complaints, since when was it a crime for a lord to wish his dominions be rich and prosperous.”

Hallel laughed. “I suppose you think I’d be able to help improve your lands.”

“Would you?” The Baron asked earnestly.

Hallel laughed. “In the past I would have lied and said yes, taken your gold, and run off. But your Frankish honor must be rubbing off on me. So I will confess, I have little say where my people choose to establish themselves. That said, your business sense, and keen ability to administer justice, should go a long way to brining back Haifa’s lost prosperity.”

They were feasted courtesy of Arnol’s wife, the lady of Bursa of Haifa. She was a plain tan woman who looked much like the servants that waited upon them, both in her physical appearance and in the modesty of her dress.
20200824074431_1.jpg

“I prayed for deliverance and I see my prayers were answered. Praise god,”

“Praise god”, the men said in agreement.

“Was our son frightened?” The Baron asked.

“Little Adalbert is fine. He didn’t really understand what was happening. He will be so happy to see his father.”

King Hughes seemed to be lost in thought.

Baron Arnol turned to his wife. “Do we have any news for any of these noble lords?”

The lady tapped her fingers together and twitched. “I..I..” Her husband took her hand with a gentleness that surprised Jean. “Take your time love.” He turned to the other nobles apologetically.

“Oh yes, I cannot believe I forgot this, I am sorry your Grace. A letter arrived from Cyprus. It was about your wife.”

The King was anxious. “Are she and the baby well?”

She smiled. “More than well, you are most blessed your Grace. But I believe you should read the letter yourself.” She sent a servant to go fetch the letter.

“Did you here any news from my wife, from the Queen?” asked Jean.

“Yes my King regent, your wife and daughter have reached Acre safely. Things seem to be going well, though I was told their was some turmoil related to cats.” Jean pushed that bit of lunacy to the side.

“Did she say anything about her condition?”

“Her condition.”

Jean sighed. He couldn’t be subtle around a dimwit. “Is my wife with child?”

“I’m sorry your Grace, but if she is it was not mentioned in any of the letters sent here. Though she did mention some trouble with cats.”

Jean didn’t bother to hide his disappointment.

The servant returned with the letter. The King read it with a smile on his face. When he finished, he threw the paper to the ground. “It was twins all along. I am the father of two beautiful little girls.”
20200221191220_1.jpg

20200221191222_1.jpg

“Condolences your grace.”, said Grandmaster Guillame.

The king found that amusing. “Condolences. My good sir you are mistaken, I am the happiest prince in Christendom.”

“But your Grace, I was told you were hoping for a son.”

“And so I was, but I reckon two princesses are worth one prince. Besides, Alix is happy and healthy and their is nothing to stop us from trying for more once the war is done.”

Jean couldn’t help but scowl. It was robbing salt in the wounds. At their wedding Jean had thought he’d gotten the better deal. Yet now the King of Cyprus had two twin girls and a pretty wife who adored him, while Maria lay beneath the ground, and had left him with only one measly daughter. If only it had been a son, then I could have claimed Cyprus. But it seemed God had decided to test him.

Grandmaster Guerin stood. “Well your Grace, I would like to give you one last blessing. I will be writing to the Pope, requesting that he make you overlord of Outremer”

20200221193423_1.jpg

20200824082443_1.jpg

Jean leapt to his feat furiously. “He has no right to the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

The Grandmaster laughed. “His father was King, unlike yours. Amery the Second was one of the best. He held off the Saracens and gave these lands order and justice. Great dynasties have been made from less. Maybe your daughter will be allowed to remain as his vassal. All I know is that the Holy Land needs the leadership of a true King and not some up jumped tourney knight.”

“What of the rights of the old nobility to reclaim their titles??”, Balian Grienier asked.

The Grandmaster laughed. “They lost their rights when they let god’s holiest Kingdom fall into heretic hands. They brought their plight on themselves through their decadence, and I see no indication the current lot are any different.”

Jean turned to King Hughes. “Your grace, you must refute this, immediately.”

The whole room was silent. Finally the king spoke. “I am but a man, and kingship is decreed by god. I will follow the precedent of Charlemagne and leave the decision to the Pope and the High Court of Jerusalem.”

Jean laughed. “Comparing yourself to Charlemagne, you are a humble one.”

The King lost it at that. “Go fuck yourself Breine, I won this damm battle for you! The least you could do is give me some dammed respect. Though I suppose expecting you to act like a King is too much. You after all are just a mere consort.”

Jean stormed out of the room. “I can’t believe I thought you a man of honor”, Alphonse spat at King Hughes, before following Jean.

Mayor Amedee ran after them.

Jean stomped all the way to the stables in a rage fueled haze. “Prepare the men, we’re leaving.”

The Mayor seemed like he wanted to say something, but demurred.

Grandmaster Guillame came running after them. “If you wish to keep your Kingdom you will listen to me!”, he called. That got Jean’s attention.

“I know you are angry with the Hospitlers, and you have a right to be, but you cannot separate your force from the rest of the army. We still do not know where the rest of the Egyptian army went, or when their reinforcements will arive. If we are to win this war we must stay together. At least until our reinforcements arrive.”

“And in exchange?” Jean knew the young Grandmaster was right, but wanted to get some reward for all his hard work. The Templars were a strong force, they could prove useful to him in many ways.

Guillame sighed. “In exchange for working nicely with the others, I will keep the Templar order bound to Jeruslum for the duration of this Crusade.”

Jean scowled. It wasn’t the reward he was hoping for.

“He’s right, said Alphonse. If nothing else, doing so would allow us to keep a watch on the King of Cyprus.”

Jean sighed. He deserved so much better. The traitors deserved to be punished. But right now he was in delicate straights and had few options.

“All right Grandmaster, we’ll do it your way.”

Note: So that was my first battle chapter and boy was it rough. Sorry for the delay, I just moved back into college and was also having difficulties writing battle scenes. School is going to be really demanding. I have to write a BA thesis, Read Anna Karenina for a Russian literature class, and write a paper on that, take a class on the French revolution and Napoleon, which involves multiple essays and if you can believe it an AAR for Napoleon total war, and create a Portfolio for a final English class. Considering my difficulties with battle scenes, and my schedule, future instalments will be delayed and I might change this story to be more of a history book AAR. You will still get plenty of characterization, my model would be George RR Martin's Fire and Blood. I am however still committed to finishing the Crusade arc in the conventional style by the end of this semester. Wish me luck. ;)

Attachments

• Sir Aimery.jpg
    Sir Aimery.jpg
    114,9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: