• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It ended well enough, but Jean does take a risk in his refusal. His plans better be good and bring in reliable allies. There are other options for rulers if necessary and a more malleable option could be preferred. What's one child queen over another?
Oh, the marriage Jean has planed is to a lord far more powerful than any of his vassals, though everything going to plan is an open question. As for replacement queens. I doubt there would be anyone more malleable than a baby. Spoiler but the line of succession in this game is weird. As it stands, Isabelle's heir is some Monferat in Italy, presumably because her grandfather, Conrad, was co King of Jerusalem, and her mother Maria, was of that house. I can't imagine the lords would be eager to risk foreign rule. According to most succession rules, Isabelle's heir would probably be her oldest aunt, Alix, the Queen of Cyprus. That would unite the two kingdoms, but Alix is a grown woman, or what passes for one in the middle ages, and would be harder to push around. And they would have her husband Hughes to contend with. Regardless, the Ibelins may be the strongest family, but they do not have the strength to overcome the rest of the nobility put together. And the whole of the nobility combined cannot hope to match the Knights Templar and Hospitaller.

To everyone, I appreciate your patience. Alas, I was unable to finish the weekly chapter. It is frankly, inexcusable, considering that some people have jobs and kids and manage to maintain a consistent update schedule. But it is what it is. The next chapter will be posted on Saturday, which puts me back on a consistent schedule. I frankly, started this story with almost no outlining save for notes and chapter ideas I jotted down over the course of the campaign. That was probably a mistake. So I may have to pause at one point for a while just to outline a few dozen chapters. For reference, I had been refining the first two chapters for something like a month before I posted.

Reactions:
You write characters that are hard to like and yet very easy to love! I can't wait for the next chapter!

Jean de Brienne was an interesting character historically, and I feel you're setting him up to be just as interesting. Although I hope for Isabella's sake that her father has better luck in game than in life.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You write characters that are hard to like and yet very easy to love! I can't wait for the next chapter!

Jean de Brienne was an interesting character historically, and I feel you're setting him up to be just as interesting. Although I hope for Isabella's sake that her father has better luck in-game than in life.
Thanks for the compliment. I might put it on my resume;)

As for Jean's success, historically I think he did quite well for himself. Yes, he lost Jerusalem, but unless the Fifth Crusade worked out it was frankly a declining asset. He then turned to being the Pope's proxy, which so happened to align with getting vengeance on Frederick. Then he got to become Latin Emperor. Along the way, he married a much younger Spanish Princess and had a couple of sons who went on to become fairly important nobles and a daughter who married the Latin Emperor. Though that Emperor got overthrown, her line would eventually wind up in the House of Valois, who would then rule France. All in all, considering where he started, it's not that bad of a result. Of course, things ended much worse for Jean's first two children and wives.

As for how things end up for him in this timeline, well you'll see.

I'll be posting the newest chapter shortly, so stay tuned. The POV will be shifting to Jean of Ibelin, the chancellor. So to avoid confusion, his title will be at the start of every chapter. I’ll start doing this with other characters, kind of how George RR Martin does it. Jean of Brienne chapters will now start with “The Regent” while Isabelle’s first few will be under the header of “The Little Queen”. These titles will change as the characters change and develop, again much like how it works in A Song of Ice and Fire

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 3: March 1212
Chapter 3: The Count of Beirut
March 1212

It was a beautiful spring day when the party approached Castle Melfi. The castle itself was quite formidable. Located in the scenic and defensible hills of southern Italy, it was the gateway between Campania and Apulia. Arrayed outside was an army that seemed to comprise all of Sicily. Young King Friederich Houenstaufen had decided to take advantage of the usurper Otto Welf’s excommunication to retake his birthright, the throne of the Holy Roman Empire, joined in the war by the French King Phillipe Augustus.
Otto and Friedirich's war.jpg

Phillipe vs Otto.jpg

20200508125701_1.jpg

Above the walls flew the banners of the Count of Melfi and his wife, the Countess of Leece, and above them the banner of Sicily, side by side with the Imperial Regalia of the German Empire. Sicily hasn’t been this united since the days of the de Hautevilles.

It was a surprise to be greeted by the King himself at the entrance to the castle. Ahorse with the Count of Melfi on his left, and his marshal, Count Pietro of Marisica on his right.

King Friederich of Sicily cropped.jpg

Count Pietro.jpg
of

Count Giacomo.jpg

“My Lord of Ibelin you’ve come a long way from the Holy Land.”

“Indeed I have your grace. And have farther still to go.”

“Indeed?”

“First to Rome, then on to France for my grand niece’s wedding.” Of course Jean left out the two messages he carried. The regent had made clear that he was to maintain the utmost of secrecy, and far more importantly to Jean, the High Court had approved his decision.

“Ah yes, the sweet Princess Phillipa. The rider my wife sent ahead told us of the sweet Princess, though he neglected to mention her ravishing beauty.” He turned to her. “I do hope you enjoyed my sweet Queen’s company.”

Queen Constance Cropped.jpg

Phillipa’s cheeks were bright red. “Your wife was most gracious and kind. She and the Count showed us around, Palermo. You are blessed to have such a beautiful kingdom.”

Ibelin had found the Queen standoffish, but maybe that was because her marriage to Frederick had reminded him too much of his own failed union. Constance of Aragon was almost twice as old as her husband and had been Queen of Hungary before remarrying to Frederick. Still, it could not be said she did not do her duty, for she had already born the king a son and heir, whom she doted on with the obsession of one who had already lost a child.

20200508125737_1.jpg

20200509014104_1.jpg

And maybe having left everything behind not once, but twice, had allowed her to be a comfort to young Phillipa, nervous as she was about marrying so far from home.

“You have good taste, Princess. Palermo is the jewel of Sicily. I spent time there when I was young. I would have loved to have made it my capital, as it was in the days of the Norman kings, but alas I am bound to honor the distribution of tittles that occurred in my minority.”
Palermo is not the capital.jpg

That was something the Count of Melfi, would no doubt be glad to hear.

The king turned to his vassal. “I would hope the castle has food and drink enough to feast this party?”

20200504171602_1.jpg

“Of course your grace. Castle Melfi is able and honored to host such an important delegation. With that, they were led inside.

He took a bath and got dressed for dinner. His servant, Khalida picked out his clothes for him. She did not have a beautiful face. Yet she was also curious, quick, and eager to please. Jean of Ibelin had kept many native bedwarmers over the years, most of them far more attractive than Khalida. But he had never had one who could keep up with his conversations. It was an altogether enthralling experience.

He tried to kiss her but she pushed him away.

“I’m sorry my Lord but if we are to share a bed again you must give me what you promised.”

“Dear God Khalida this again?”

“You promised. After your horrid wife died you swore to me that we’d be married.”

He had been very drunk that night. Jean and his first wife had hated each other, but he’d still known her for so many years. The feelings her death brought about, he needed a drink to clear his head.

“Khalida. I love you. But I am a lord. I must do my duty and wed for the benefit of my family.”

“Oh don’t give me that. You’re letting your daughter be courted by the regent’s lowborn companions. ”

Jean scowled at the memory. It had been the most odious of the terms his mother had agreed to with the regent. He had only agreed to it because he knew his sweet Cecile was too good to fall for any of them. Even Alphonse, who had proved to be a model knight. Sharing a hunt was one thing, giving your daughter to the man was quite another.

“Even that was for the interests of my house.” The Kingdom needed stability, his mother had reminded him. This odious arrangement would keep the peace between himself and the regent

“You’re the greatest lord of the realm. You shouldn’t have to take orders from your mother anymore.”

“You go beyond your place. I make my own decisions.”

“What good is it to be master of Jerusalem if you cannot marry who you want?”

If I were master of Jerusalem I wouldn’t be here. You’re free to enjoy the feast. You should go on and make merry and forget about the conversation we’ve just had.

“As you wish, my lord”, she spat the last word.

At the dinner, Jean and Phillipa were seated to the King’s left, the Count and his family on the right. The meal commenced after the usual perfunctory gestures towards the valor of various lords and knights. The King spoke first to the Count of Melfi.

“Your home has been a wonderful treat, just marvelous. It’s true what my tutors said, Castle Melfi is the most strategically located castle in the land. Yet they never told me of the wonderful hospitality of its lord.”

“I am honored your grace, but the credit must go to my lady wife, the beautiful Countess Albina.” The count spoke in between attacking a chicken leg.

“Ah yes my cousin, I have so many of those. It is always a pleasure to be amongst family.”

The Countess was a thin woman with Sicilian features. She didn’t seem to notice, her husband’s compliments, busy as she was with her fidgeting children.

Countess Albinia of Taranto.jpg

Garuntheir of Briene, Jean's Nephew cropped.jpg

Simon.jpg

“Garunthier stop hitting your brother.”

“But he stole my knight!”

“He’s three. He’s too young to know any better.”

The Count looked like he was ready to hit someone.

“It’s no bother. Really it’s my fault for insisting you bring a six-year-old to the table, but I just had to meet little lord Garunthier", said the King.

The Countess finally understood that the King was paying her attention. “Little Garunthier”

“Yes mama”

“The King has need of you.”

He looks so much like his mother.

“Yes your gwace.”

“Are you enjoying yourself.”

“Yes your gwace. Even if my little brother is being a stupid thief.”

The King laughed. “Thiefs truly are horrid. Why when I was little some of them even tried to steal my crown.”

“No. That’s horrible.” The little boy said dramatically.

The King nodded. “Indeed it is. They suffered as they must, and I hope none will do anything again so treacherous again. You know what kings do to traitors don’t you?’

“They chop off their heads!” The boy exclaimed with a little too much eagerness.

His mother had a pale look on her face. Had she really not told her son of her heritage? Of how his father died?

“Your grace, we are both loyal. Our forces ride beside yours to fight for your claim to the Holy Roman Empire", said the Count of Melfi.

“Oh, I was never questioning your loyalty or that of the Countess. I was just reminding the little Baron of what a king does to…”

The king was interrupted by the cry of a small shrill voice. “Mommy’s not a Countess, she’s a princess!”

The Countess tittered nervously, while the Count looked like he wanted to strangle little Simon.

Frederick though seemed to find the whole thing amusing. “Well, there goes subtlety. My lady of Hauteville it has been a pleasure to be a guest at your husband’s castle. You must know, I had no involvement in your first husband’s death. How could I, I was a child. I just hope that any biterness between us is a thing of the past. And that you and yours will take up an honored place at court.”
20200504171655_1.jpg

“I remain loyal to you my King, and to my husband Giacomo, my one true love.” She sounded convincing, but Jean felt he could see her eyes downcast. The King didn’t seem to notice. Or care.

“Marvelous, simply marvelous. I hear it that you yourself are quite the scholar. You are always welcome to any book in my collection. Why I might even send one to you if you ask nicely.”

“It would be an honor to receive any gift from you, your grace.”

For the rest of the banquet, Jean couldn’t help but notice that every time the table was presented with a new dish, the Countess would sample both food and drink before giving it over to her children. Her husband teased her incessantly about her gluttony, but Jean suspected something else was at play.

He himself stayed temperate. The chancellor could drink eat and wench as well as the next man, but he was acting as the Queen’s ambassador. Though he cared not a whit for her proud fool of a father, indeed he secretly hoped the Holy Father could be swayed to confirm him as regent, in spite of the pact he had made, the babe was still his grandniece and it behooved him to do his best in her service.

As the dinner dragged on and the men grew more drunk and rowdy, the Countess of Leece announced that it was time for her children to be put to bed and that she would do so herself. Her husband brooked no objection to this breach of social protocol, nor did the King. The Princess also decided to retire for the night, or more accurately, Jean commanded that she be sent to her chambers, with Khadiva accompanying her.

The king bid them farewell, wishing Phillipa a pleasant journey and a happy marriage, and promising that the boys would be raised high in the realm as loyal vassals of the new Kaiser of a united Empire and Sicily, words no doubt also meant for his parents

Count Giacomo waited until his wife had cleared the room, before scoping the nearest servant girl up in his arms, depositing her in his lap, and kissing her, to the uproarious laughter of the attendant lords and Knights.

“Do...Do you have any hunting birds?” The King said in between spasms of laughter.

The Count lifted his face up from between the red-faced, squealing girl’s breasts. “Your grace we have some of the finest in Italy.”

‘Then alas my count of Melfi, it appears young Heinrich will have to continue this war in my name. For it appears I have died and gone to heaven.”

A loud cheer went up from the benches. Soon almost every man amongst them had a wench in arms.

“You wouldn’t join in the fun my Count of Beirut?”

Jean was tempted, but the recent fight with Khalida weighed on him. What kind of lord let the word of an ugly sixteen-year-old low bornLevantine girl, affect him so. And thinking that brought her words back to him. If I had to choose, I would choose her.

“I wish I could your grace. Alas, a lover’s quarrel weighs on me.”

He expected the king to call him an idiot, or something worse. Instead, he nodded his head sideways, as by this point in the night the young King had consumed copious amounts of wine. “I understand you. I too once had a woman I loved above all others. But alas fate is a cruel mistress. I was torn up about it for weeks. I still feel for her. We all move on in our own due time.”

“Aww, my poor King. Here let me give you a kiss for comfort”, said the very drunk servant girl who was wrapped around her monarch’s arms.

“I must be in heaven. For here I have an angel.”

“Your Grace, I assure you, that one is a real devil where it counts”, the Count said with the slurred speech of a drunkard.

“Indeed, then alas let me take her to my chambers and see if I might exorcise whatever accursed spirit ails this fairest of creatures.” The King leaped from his seat and carried the girl off to his chambers. No doubt whatever exorcism he would attempt would not be the kind the Church approved of.

The Count arose, relatively, early in the morning. He quickly got dressed and slipped out of his chambers.

At the main hall, he found who he was looking for. The Countess had awakened early to supervise whatever servants weren’t nursing hangovers, abed with the guests, or both, in tidying up the place.

The two exchanged pleasantries.

“I was wondering my lady if you were not aware that your former brother in law remains as regent of Jerulsum?”

“I assumed as much my Count of Beirut, after all, it is his child who is now Queen.” Jean felt half tempted to launch into a lecture on the ancient rights of the Kingdom of Jerusalem’s nobility, those rights included choosing the regent, but decided against it.

“I admit, though we have served on the council together, I know little of what Jean of Brienne is like as a man.”

“And you would want me to tell you? In exchange for what, exactly?”

“Simple courtesy to a guest? If that doesn’t suit, a guarantee that I will protect your son’s interests in the Holy Land.”

“My son’s interests in the Holy Land? My Lord, my husband and I left for Italy the year of our marriage. Jean war courteous and chivalrous to me throughout my family’s stay in France. My husband left him to manage the barony. After he died, he managed it in the name of my son. Beyond that, we had no connection. He made no effort to back me or my son while he was regent. So far as I am concerned his interests and mine are severed. My husband may not be the kindest or most faithful man, but he keeps me and my sons safer than any knight on the far side of the Mediterranean ever could.”

The magnanimous Countess.jpg

That was a good thing to hear. “I wish you and your husband good luck in this war.”

“And I wish you good luck on your mission ahead, Count Jean of Beirut.”

He wished he could talk to her more. A woman as knowledgeable as she was wasted on a man like Giacomo. But alas such conversation was in neither his interest nor that of Jerusalem. Intelectual conversation with the King on the other hand, that would serve both his interests as Count of Beirut and that of the larger realm.

By midday the army departed, followed up the road to Rome by Princess Philipa and her party. The King and some of the Lords rode up ahead to hawk, the King’s favorite sport.

The King would go on and on about the various breeds of falcons and the nobles would nod along and pretend to understand what he was talking about. But the King’s mind moved a mile a minute. As soon as they spied ruins the King stopped the whole hunting party to wax poetic about the glory of the ancients. “He almost seems to wish we still lived in such pagan times, the marshall muttered, thankfully where the King couldn’t hear him.

The Count didn’t know much about Falcons, but he knew a lot about Rome and art and architecture in general. They wandered around the ruins, Jean pointing out various features that caught his eye to the Emperor. Jean was particularly drawn to the mosaics and weathered paintings that clung to the cracked marble of the old buildings.

“I’ll have to have someone build a replica of this for myself in Beirut.”

“You and me both”, said the King.

Jean decided to stay with a small retinue and sketch out the ruins while the rest of the party moved up the road to Rome. Khalida silently drew and committed art to memory. What a wife she would be.

The party parted at a fork in the road. The King would continue on to his war, and Phillipa’s traveling party would go on to Rome, and then to France.

“Give my regards to Pope Innocent. He may be much more of a stickler for religious doctrine than you or I, but he is a strong Prince nonetheless and did his best to protect me when I was young. The enemies of the faith tremble before a man like him.” Jean had heard stories of what Innocent did to “enemies of the faith.” Most of those enemies had been Christians, the Cathars of Languedoc, and his mother’s people, the Greeks of Constantinople.

20200509020907_1.jpg

“I will give the Pope your regards.”

“Oh and Count”, the King called after him.

“Yes your Grace.”

“I have it on good word that the Pope will soon give Jeruslum everything it might require.”

Is what I think he’s saying really true?

“Thank you, your Grace. I will pray that your words prove true and that you are victorious in this war.”

It occurred to Jean that if things went the right way, the Emperor of the Romans might, for the first time in centuries, be held by a man resembling the Romans of old.

Attachments

• Otto and Friedirich's war.jpg
    Otto and Friedirich's war.jpg
    48,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200509020907_1.jpg
    20200509020907_1.jpg
    525,8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Your Frederick II reminds me of Christian Cameron's Alexander the Great, in that he can say, do and imply the most terrible things, and yet you can't help but love the man. I suppose like the real Frederick and the real Alexander, from the descriptions history gives of them.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Interesting, hopefully the Count can win the support that he or rather his Grandniece needs to beat back the Muslims when they inevitably come crashing against Jerusalem. Great chapter!

Reactions:
Your Frederick II reminds me of Christian Cameron's Alexander the Great, in that he can say, do and imply the most terrible things, and yet you can't help but love the man. I suppose like the real Frederick and the real Alexander, from the descriptions history gives of them.
From my limited understanding, this was somewhat the case. However, by the time of the sixth Crusade, Frederick was apparently fat, balding, and generally unlikable. However here he is young and I haven't seen any of his more negative traits displayed, besides lust obviously.

Intresting, hopefully, the Count can win the support that he or rather his Grandniece needs to beat back the Muslims when they inevitably come crashing against Jerusalem. Great chapter!
Strictly speaking, they'd be crashing against Acre and Jaffa, Jerusalem is already long lost. At this moment there appears to be very little appetite in Europe for a Crusade. France and Sicily fight the HRE, England is attempting to hold on to her Continental holdings, and the whole Crusading movement is distracted killing Cathars in Southern France. That said Innocent is a strong Pope and he does love him some Crusading. We will see. Spoiler warning, the next chapter will feature Muslims attacking a Christian state in the Levant.

Reactions:
Chapter 4: April 1212
Chapter 4: The Regent and the Latin Princess.
April 1212

Jaffa was, even more, a ruin than Constantinople, and it hadn’t been sacked. It was a stinking pigsty compared to Palermo. Fate, as her first real friend in Constantinople had informed her, was a cruel thing. Had a few things turned out differently she would have stayed in Sicily forever, with, in her eyes, the most dashing King in Christendom. But alas she seemed to be the one piece of property her father would sell at below market value. Unless he values me so little…
“Agnes”
“Yes,” she was grateful for Raymonnde’s interruption. The Latin Princess did not make friends easily, and so this Grienier girl had seen fit to treat her as a charity case. Agnes would have resented it if she wasn’t so desperate to find something good in this wretched place.

“You look lovely.”

Princess Anges of the Latin Empire..jpg

Agnes rolled her eyes. “Don’t lie to me.” Raymonde had beautiful curly Brunet hair, while Agnes's was straw blond. Her build was athletic, whilst Agnes was just scrawny thin.
“It’s true. You are far more beautiful than you give yourself credit for.”
“You know I’m left-handed right?”
“So?”
“They say the left hand is the hand of the devil.”
“And my father sometimes wonders if he fathered me on a she-demon. What of it? You’re just nervous.”
“And don’t I have a right to be?”
“I just don’t see the point in focusing on it. I’m nervous too, but also excited, my mother once told me that was how it is for all brides.”
“But you’ve actually met your intended, this Alphonse. You know you have reason to love him, whereas I hardly know anything about my husband at all.”
Raymonde raised a brunette eyebrow. “Is that not the norm in marriage?”
Agnes sighed “Usually you know him at least by reputation. All I know is that he’s some tourney champion from Champaign that King Phillipe selected to wed the previous Queen of Jerusalem.”
Her father hadn’t even intended to wed her to him at first. Emperor Henri had sent a message to Jean of Brienne asking him to find a husband for his only daughter. By the time the message had reached the regent, Queen Maria was dead and he had need of a new wife. The Emperor might have turned this upstart knight down, except he had just received word that his opponent, the Despot of Epirus had wed the sister of the King of Cyprus. Rumors swirled that Hughes intended to expand his kingdom, with Venetian aid, into the Aegean islands controlled by the new Emperor. The Queen of Jerusalem was Hughes’s niece by marriage and her regent might have felt compelled to support him in a war against the Emperor.

That was what her father had told her anyway. For her part, Anges though some people at court just wanted to be rid of her, and had seized on the opportunity. But if that was the case then maybe her father should have pushed harder in other directions.

The Latin Empire Epirus War.jpg

20200509103152_1.jpg

"You know I spent time in Palermo, while my father was on Crusade.”

“Did you? I’ve always heard it was a grand place.”
“Oh yes, it was. You have no idea. All the books, the culture, the art from all over the world it was like I was in heaven. Why I even learned how to read Greek.”
Raymonde laughed. “I always heard the King loved to Hawk. That always sounded like fun.”
“That he does.” She smiled, and thought back to all the fun times she’d shared with Frederick, his joyful laugh, his smile, the proud way he held himself.
“Did you know the king well?”
“Very well. I once thought to marry him, he even reciprocated my feelings, but alas he wasn’t willing to do the honorable thing.
“Oh?”
“The King asked me to be his mistress.” When said like that the whole thing sounded so common.
“And what did you say?”
“I told him that the entrance to my heart lay through a chapel gate, and if he were the man I thought he was, he would cancel the betrothal the Pope made for him and wed me instead.” For a moment she had thought he would choose her.
“You did the right thing.”
“I thought so at the time. But now? Yes, people would have called me a whore, but truthfully I never cared much for the company of others. And I would still be kept in some comfort, probably greater comfort than I will have here if truth be told. And Frederick would not have any problems with my more peculiar interests. At the very least I sometimes feel we should have shared a night together. Just to spite them all, you know What harm would that have done?”
Raymonde shook her head. “What harm would it have done to anything besides your immortal soul?”
“Well, there’s that”, Anges said abashedly.
“And what if he got you with child? You might be willing to take the risk out of l, but could you really bring a child into the world with the taint of bastardy? Knowing every day what his mother was being called behind his back. And that’s assuming the Queen had no problem with you, and that the king never tires of you, both of which I highly doubt. And would you really be content to just sit in some castle and wait for him to pay you company? No, Anges, you made the right decision. The daughter of an Empress should not lower herself to being a mere mistress, not even a king’s mistress.”
She felt so foolish, and angry. “You are one to talk of lowering yourself, your husband’s the son of a blacksmith from what I hear.”
“Actually, my husband is the distant progeny of one of King Arthur’s lesser-known knights. The family may have lost its worldly possessions, but the noble blood still flows in their veins.” Raymonde said, failing to contain the mischievous grin on her face
“You don’t expect anyone to believe that, do you?”
Raymonde rolled her eyes. “Your right, surely we are the first to forge a line of descent like this, just as surely as John the Baptists had twenty thumbs. People will believe it so long as my husband, and myself, are strong enough to make them believe it. And I intend for us to have that power.”
“But still, you are wedding a man below your station, and one much older than you at that. And from what I hear the man your father wanted you to wed was your own age. Why go through all the trouble.” That was the diplomatic way to say why are you so eager to marry a homely low born old enough to be your father?

“Alphonse is strong and brave and has a good heart and has led a life full of adventure, ones I would hope to share in. My other suitor was Baudoin d’Ibelin who likes to torture cats, but will run away if any real man challenges him. I’d pity any woman married to him, even Jezebel. Even if you weren’t the type to fall in love with a man like Alphonse, his low status is actually beneficial for me. He has no name to speak of, so our children will be of my house. He knows little of the politics of the Kingdom’s nobility, so I will navigate it for them. We’ll be true partners. And it will be my choice. Few women get to make such choices.”

20200516150610_1.jpg

Agnes could not help but feel envy. Yet she also saw truth in Raymonde’s words. “So you’re saying a husband of lower rank can be a tool of a woman’s ambition?” Raymonde laughed. “Well I wouldn’t call my Alphonse a tool, but yes, if one had ambitions it could actually be to your advantage to marry down.”
Suddenly Agnes did not feel so bad about her upcoming nuptials. “Raymonde, you are wise for someone our age. I truly envy you.”
Raymonde waved her hand as if to brush the compliment away. “My father thinks me a stubborn fool, perhaps he is right, but I’ve had a wise mentor, I’ll introduce you to her sometime.”

That got Anges to thinking about Princess Anna of France. She had known her only briefly, during her short stay at her father’s court in Constantinople. But she’s been someone who Anges could trust, much like Raymonde was now. The French Princess has lived a turbulent life and was a reminder of how the forces of the universe could throw a mortal about like a ship in a storm.

Princess Anna.jpg

The door opened. “Ladies, your husbands to be will receive you, as well as your father, lady Raymonde, and your Uncle, Lady Agnes.”

“Thank you Humbert”, Raymonde said to the manservant, as they left the room.
Her Uncle was sweltering in the Levant sun.

20200516143305_1.jpg

“It’s a lovely day is it not niece”, he said with a sardonic smile and a twinkle in his eye.
“Yes it is, Uncle Eustache, for now you will be well and truly rid of me.” She gave him a kiss on the cheek.
“Aww, don’t you say that little girl.” He embraced her. She felt tears welter in her eyes. Should she beg him to stay? He might if she really begged him, her Uncle was that kind of a soul. But no. He was, in his own way, an ambitious man, and she could not ask him to put that aside to live in a Kingdom with almost no prestige.
“Daughter”, the count of Sidon said curtly, as he put his arm around hers.
“Father”, she answered in turn.
Agnes thought she heard him mutter “Worse than your mother.”
Agnes likewise took her Uncle’s arm. “Your father is so proud of you.” If he were so proud of me he would be here to give me away himself.
It was unfair to think of her uncle as a step down though. During her girlhood been her playmate and source of comfort in hard times. If anyone was more worthy to give her away than her father, it was him.
“Keep your cheer niece, you are blessed. Jean of Brienne is said to be a great knight. And he is the Queen’s father. You’ll be a Queen in all but name. I’m sure he’ll do his best to make you happy.”
“A Queen in all but name, but not in name” Yet. And it should be Empress.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seemed as if half the Kingdom had packed into Jaffa for the regent’s wedding. Inns were filled to bursting and the regions bewildering arrays of faiths and peoples mixed and intermingled with the usual mix of hostility and comity.
Jean had thought they were there to honor him, before the Spymaster had told him that most of his subjects could care less than about who the Frankish regent wed. They just wanted an excuse to forget their travails.

It would be just like the Count of Sidon to rain on his parade like this. Jaffa had been a step down from Jean’s plans. He had originally intended to wed Agnes de Flanders in Acre, as he had Maria of Montferrat. It would send a signal that the regent was back in control, even if he hadn’t actually gotten word from the Pope yet. But Count Balian had brought word concerning some complications.
19th of July the Assasins spread to Syria..jpg

Alphonse thought Balian was overblowing the issue to get back at Jean. Far from being happy at having a connection to the Queen’s father, the Count was furious at his daughter’s decision to wed a low born. There were some days where Jean wasn’t sure if he had more to fear from his own spymaster than from the Assassins. But he thought he could trust his word on this. The Mayor of Acre had sent a letter conveying his own concerns.

Jean was overlooking a map in the council chamber when he heard the door open.
“Surveying your dominions are you?”

Jean chuckled. “Meager as they are ,yes.”

The Kingdom of Acre.jpg

Jean didn’t respond well to mockery unless it came from a friend, and that was what he considered Maria Komnenos to be, odd as it was.
“But with such a union, surely they will grow in due time.”
“I hope so. And I also hope that my choice of bride does not upset our friendship?”
Maria shook her head. “No. Do not forget, I am a Roman, I understand alliance making all too well. Besides, this Henri is said to be kinder to the Romans under his rule than his brother was. So long as you do not intend to do anything to hurt my great granddaughter's position, or to execute all Christians who do not submit to your Pope like they are doing in Toulouse then we can remain friends. I confess I did not suspect you would be able to arrange such a match so quickly.”
“The Emperor had sent feelers around when I was away raiding in Egypt. It was on my desk when I returned and I sent my reply before we concluded our arrangement. I know the timing was unseemly, but I felt I had to do something to maintain my hold on the Kingdom.”
“And to have somewhere else to move on to if you should fail. Or better yet, a place to move on to when Isabelle comes of age. Henri is unmarried. This girl is his only child. Should he die without further issue, you may press a claim to the Empire.”
“Baudoin’s daughter was passed over in favor of Henri.”
“Then a claim could be transmitted through the female line. Or else some other reason could be fabricated.”
Jean looked down. He had been married to her granddaughter and now, hardly a year after she had gone he was wedding another for the sake of ambition. “I am far from the first to pursue such a strategy in these lands.”
“Nor would I fault you. I and my husband Balian were smitten with one another before my stepson Baldwin allowed us to wed, but had I not come with Nablus I doubt he would have given me the time of day. I know well the nature of Ambition, for I myself was once such a person. That said if I were you I would have wed Rita of Armenia, as her succession seems more likely.”

20200516145339_1.jpg

"I had thought to do so. However Emperor Henri’s offer was on the table first, and I had no idea what position I would be in by the time negotiations with Armenia were done with. Given recent events, it looked like I dodged a slash there.”

The Tripoli Armenian War.jpg

“It seems a foolish thing to fight one’s co-religionists, given our precarious position."
"Damascus is moving against Tripoli as well, though the Count of Sidon says the Sultan is not supporting his vassal." Why he wouldn't, Jean did not know.
"And Emperor Henri fights Epirus.” Maria Komnenos eyed him. “I do hope you can persuade your new father in law to make peace. I was quite close with the mother of the Despot’s new wife, my niece by marriage Eschive. Helvis was never the easiest girl to get along with, but she does not deserve to rot in some dungeon.”

Jean shook his head. “I’ll see what I can do. At the least I won’t be joining this war for the same reason I can’t defend Tripoli, we just don’t have the manpower or cohesion for a war right now.”
“Then I’ll take my leave of you. I hope you find much contentment in your new marriage, and that your daughter finds a new mother who will cherish her as she deserves.”

“How is the Queen faring? I hate to admit it, but I have spent so much time on governing her realm that I have rarely spent time with her.” He also felt such things would unman him. Whenever he was around his daughter he wanted to coo and cuddle her. Such things were socially acceptable in small doses, but his men would think he’d gone soft if he spent all day in the nursery playing with the Queen. It might have been different if Maria had borne him a son, but going down that road meant questioning God’s will.
“Isabelle is a sweet girl. Curious fussy, always a handful, but one would have to be the spawn of Satan not to love her.”

He found Alphonse pacing back and forth. Savary was leaning on the side of the wall. “Look if you continue to brood over this so much you can just back out of it, I’ll be more than happy to take the girl off your hands.”
“Over my dead body”, Alphonse spat.
“Then what’s the problem? You’re having all these doubts about this. I just say take the gifts God offers. Or better yet, frequent the fine whores of Jaffa. Abstaining for so long unbalances a man’s humors.”
Jean hadn’t been with a woman since Maria had died. In this most Holy of Lands, it felt strange to sully his soul by fornicating outside of marriage. Alphonse had stopped during his courtship of Raymonde.
“It would not be wise to risk god’s disfavor by sinning. This Kingdom depends on his good fortune, and I would prefer to take no chances.”, said Jean.
Savary laughed. “Well if your intent on getting rid of sin you should just chop off my head and be done with it.”
“Don’t tempt me”, said Alphonse.
“The both of you cease this quarreling. Alphonse, Savary is right in one thing, you should cease this paranoia of yours. You are blessed with a beautiful young highborn wife who adores you, very few men born to your station could say that.”
“Huzzah I am vindicated. Now for my next sage bit of council, I suggest poisoning the entire council. Alphonse can take Sidon while I gain Beirut and the Templars and Hospitallers can appoint whichever new child diddlers they want.”
“Sadly it’s a bit late to get poison, it doesn’t grow on trees you know.”
“More’s the pity”, muttered Alphonse. Jean decided to ignore the fact that his closest companion had wished to murder his father in law.
“It’s good to do this by your side, Alphonse. Last time I wed I shared a wedding with King Hughes. Good god that boy was a shit. All he did was pretend to be humble and complain about my Uncle Stealing his coin.”
“I don’t know, I always liked that he crowned himself in a barn, it sent a good message to the men.”, said Alphonse.
“It sent a message that their King might as well have been a pious beggar”, Jean shot back.
“I can’t imagine his wife thought well of it.” Said Alphonse with a chuckle

“Maria told me her sister yelled at him for it.” Jean sighed. It was stupid to go on mourning for one wife on the day he wed another. Truth be told he had hardly thought about the girl he was to wed. She might as well have been a piece of parchment that gave him a claim to the Latin Empire. In a few hours that would all change.
“Alphonse, these last few months have been a trial for me. I thank you for having been by my side.”

“I remain ever loyal, my lord.”
“Oh don’t address me with that formality. If I wanted that we would not be sharing a wedding day. Hughes may be my brother by law, and all my real brothers may be dead, but you are the brother I chose, and the brother I wish to have by my side on this important day and many others to come.”
“Thank you, your lordship. I know I owe you everything. I will always and forever remain your friend, through thick and thin until the casket slams shut.”
“I’ll toast to that”, said Savary.
It was a shame they did not have wine with them now. That would wait until after they had said their vows before the Bishop of Radwan.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I, Agnes of Flanders, daughter of Henry of Flanders, Emperor of Rome, take Jean of Brine, Lord of Jerusalem, to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will honor you and obey you and hold you in my heart all the days of my life.”
Three sentences, and just like that, she was no longer Agnes of Flanders. She slipped away from her father, her Uncle Eustache, Frederick, Flanders, Palermo, Constantinople, all her dreams and girlhood fancies, and into the arms of Jean of Brienne. All that she had been was gone now, like childhood toys one moved beyond. She was bound to him by Holy Vow. To stray from it would invite damnation, dishonor, and quite possibly death. Such a great change for just three sentences. And it had seemed, for a brief second, her husband had the name of another on his lips when he said his vows. Would that be the way of things their whole marriage?
The rest of the ceremony went by for Anges in the same fast moving haze the first half had. When Raymonde and Alphonse said their vows the bride seemed ready to cry from joy, and the groom's face was bursting with joy.
Agnes ate little at the feast, the butterflies in her stomach would not allow it. Her husband also turned away most food, and drank little, which made her feel that maybe just maybe, they had something in common.
Raymonde feasted heartily on all the delicacies Jaffa had to offer and from time to time the bride and groom would feed each other. Her husband seemed to eye that wearily. Raymonde had said Alphonse was his best friend, so she doubted it was out of hatred for him.

“The food takes some getting used to”, those were the first words she said to her. She almost jumped in astonishment. “Indeed it does”, she answered back. “Though I already have done so. I spent time at the Court of King Frederick, and of my father, the Emperor. My tongue has already been exposed to the spices of Outremer.”
“Ah I see.”
“I apologize if I seem cold. It’s just..”
“You're nervous. I understand. I am new to this land myself. If there's anything you need from me you have only to ask.”
“Thank you. I left some books on my ship. Silly Greek things, prophecies and the like I picked up from Palermo and Constantinople. I assure you they are quite common in those lands. I was hoping you would allow me to keep them.”
“Jean eyed her for a long time.” Then his eyes narrowed and his jaw tensed. Is he getting ready to call me a heretic? Yet instead he glanced back over his shoulder, where Raymonde was laughing at something her husband had said.
“I will have to talk with an advisor about this. If she says yes then I will grant your wish.”
“Thank you”, she said those words before she had time to think. Her husband had an advisor who knew about Greek prophecies, and a woman at that. For a brief moment she felt thrilled, if he could listen to a woman’s council, then maybe he was more open minded than she gave him credit for. But then she thought, most men call their female advisor a wife. If someone already occupied that role for him, what would become of her? She was pondering this and her uneaten meal when her husband took his leave of her. He was going to speak with her Uncle.
Alphonse was enjoying himself with his new bride. That was more than Jean could say of his Agnes, who had gone through the wedding with the quiet dignity of one being led to an execution. I may not be the most comely of men but by God I look better than Alphonse.
Savary was drunk off his ass and gleefully engaged in a heated argument with Guy d’Ibelin over a bet. It went on until Baudoin d’Ibelin cuffed his younger brother behind the ear and gave Savary the money. The youngest Ibelin boy hung around the squires, while his sister attended to the Dowager Queen.

Guy d'Iblen.jpg

Jean found Eusache talking with the Baron of Haifa. Jean bid the Baron to leave them, he had to talk to the Prince.

“Ah the lucky groom.”
“Prince Eustache. I was hoping to discuss the support your brother intends to provide.”
“I’m sorry?”
“The Kingdom is in dire need of reinforcement, money, really anything. Otherwise, frankly, the next assault from the Sultanate will sweep us into the sea.”
The Prince’s eyes shifted back and forth. “Ah my Lord of Jerusalem, I must apologize but my brother does not believe himself obligated to support you.”
Then what the hell did I marry his daughter for? Jean decided to be more tactful in his speech. “Forgive me, but I assumed that when I made a marriage pact with the Latin Emperor, that I would be getting an actual alliance.”

The Prince furrowed his brow. “Are you prepared to assist my brother in his campaign against Epirus?”
Jean frowned, remembering the Queen Dowager’s request. “No, that would not be possible with our limited resources. That said I would remind you that the Despots wife is a Princess of Jerusalem and Cyprus. We would merely wish she is given treatment in according to her rank and her fair sex.”

“While I personally would never mistreat a lady, the fate of both the Despot and his wife is ultimately for the Emperor to decide. And forgive me Jean of Brienne, but has the sun done something to your eyes?”
“My eyes?”
“For surely you must be blind if you do not see the hypocrisy of your actions. You demand support from the Emperor without giving anything in return.”
“But this is the most Holy kingdom in Christendom. And we are in dire need of aid.”
“The brothels and gambling dens strew all over Jaffa might disagree with you as to the Holiness of your Kingdom. And you don’t actually control Jerusalem. The Emperor in contrast actually does control Constantinople, a city blessed by god. And if you are to use limited resources as an excuse to shirk obligations then why can’t we do the same?”
Jean’s gambit had failed. If the letter arrived stripping him of the regency there would be nothing he could do to resist. He’d have options, but crawling off to serve the father in law who had deceived him, or serving as a mere commander to whomever succeeded him as regent, were just too humiliating to contemplate.
“Why then should I not repudiate this marriage, seeing as your brother refuses to honor the agreement we made?”
“We are not breaking any agreements. We promised not to attack you, and as Christians we will join in any relief effort the Pope undertakes. But if you repudiate his daughter you will make an enemy of the Emperor, something you do not want to do.”
Jean was trapped. He had sworn an oath to god, one he took seriously, even if he hadn’t consummate his marriage yet. And the Emperor Henri had the power to crush him, especially if he linked up with any discontents in the Kingdom.
“I believe I understand your position Prince Eustache. I hope you enjoy the festivities.”

“I wish you all the best in your marriage. My niece, Agnes is like a daughter to me, and I would hate to see her unhappy, as would her father.”
Jean headed back to his table. His new bride was conversing with Maria Komnenos. That put a smile on his face for some reason.

“Your Lordship I was just talking to your wife, and she mentioned to me that she knew Greek.”
“Does she?” It was bad form to be less educated than one’s own wife.
“Indeed. It is a good thing for one who would reign over many Greek speakers, be it here or in Constantinople one day.”
Jean raised his eyebrows. “Would you like that my lady?”
“I love my father with all my heart. But if he were to suffer misfortune and die without issue, than it would be my duty to take up his throne, or to defend the rights of my children.”
She smiled at him. They may not have had love or even friendship, yet, but there was a recognition of their mutual ambition.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bride and groom spent their first night together in private, Jean thought she would appreciate that.
Their coupling had been stiff, quick, and awkward in the extreme, Jean eager for release and Anges eager to be done with the thing. As soon as they finished Jean lapsed into slumber.
He was awakened by a pounding at the door. Groggily, Jean sat up at the side of the bed. He noted that Anges had left to spend the night in her own chambers. Maria had always stayed with him.
The knocks on the door grew louder and more frequent. Jean dragged himself out of bed and threw the door open.
Outside was Savary, red faced and staggering, with a tankered in his hand.
“What in the Blazes are you doing!”, Jean yelled.
Savary took another swig.
“Forgive me your Lordship but a ship just came into the harbor with the most glorious news.”
“And why wasn’t this conveyed to me?”
Savary staggered against the side of the wall. “I’m sure a message was sent, but the whole crew already knows. I mean the Pope gave a speech and everything.”

The Pope gave what...oh. Could it be?
Savary tried to stagger to his feet, but instead collapsed to the ground. Sitting up, he raised his hands and proclaimed, “Salvation! Salvation! Our souls are saved! You are confirmed regent and the Pope has called a Crusade!”

Febuary 16th The faitful prepair for war.jpg

Note: I wanted to say more about the Princess Anna, but I felt it didn’t fit into what was already becoming a long chapter, this is twelve pages on a google doc. As a result I’ll put out an Interlude. I’m still figuring a lot of things out. I’m thinking about adding titles to my chapters in the thread marks, as I find they are easier for people to remember than dates. What would you guys think of that?

Also I’m wondering if I should make shorter chapters. I’ve noticed a decrease in feedback and I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence, or if my chapters are so long people just can’t find the time to finish them.
I hope you enjoyed this week’s chapter, any and all feedback is welcome.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well well! Good news for Jerusalem! And it seems as if though this Jean might end up on the throne of the Romans just like his historical counterpart, if by different means

• 1Like
Reactions:
So for all the political wrangling Jean thought he was doing, he's to be saved it's by intervention from Rome. (And with it, arguably another Jean - of Beirut?) Still, it doesn't bode well for his prospects that he outmaneuvered so easily. Hopefully he can learn from his mistake before his daughter pays the price.

On responses - it can vary chapter to chapter. And I find responses tend to drop for a while after the initial start of an AAR. I remember my own, I'd get only a few comments for I think the first 30 or so chapters? So it's not necessarily anything you're doing. Just the nature of things.

On chapter length... depends? I'm not one to talk, but it kind of all depends on the nature of the chapter. What's the main idea/theme it's trying to get across? Can it be done in less words without losing meaning? What does each section provide? And if it feels too long, can it be split into two chapters? These are all things that can be difficult to discern on your own, honestly, so don't be disheartened if it takes a while to figure out.

One bit of stylistic feedback I'd give is to almost always make clear who is speaking. The middle third I had to re-read a few times to figure out who was talking. I know a lot of authors hate saying "Agnes said, Raymonde said" over and over again, but that's because we think of it as reading aloud, rather than simply reading silently. I forgot where I read this years ago, but when reading our eyes mostly just go past the said, and it's just to identify who is speaking. It's important to do, especially early on, as the characters are not fully established, so it can be harder to identify who is talking just by their manner of speaking.

But otherwise, keep plugging away. Everything will get better as you get more "reps", for lack of a better term.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So for all the political wrangling Jean thought he was doing, he's to be saved it's by intervention from Rome. (And with it, arguably another Jean - of Beirut?) Still, it doesn't bode well for his prospects that he outmaneuvered so easily. Hopefully he can learn from his mistake before his daughter pays the price.

On responses - it can vary chapter to chapter. And I find responses tend to drop for a while after the initial start of an AAR. I remember my own, I'd get only a few comments for I think the first 30 or so chapters? So it's not necessarily anything you're doing. Just the nature of things.

On chapter length... depends? I'm not one to talk, but it kind of all depends on the nature of the chapter. What's the main idea/theme it's trying to get across? Can it be done in less words without losing meaning? What does each section provide? And if it feels too long, can it be split into two chapters? These are all things that can be difficult to discern on your own, honestly, so don't be disheartened if it takes a while to figure out.

One bit of stylistic feedback I'd give is to almost always make clear who is speaking. The middle third I had to re-read a few times to figure out who was talking. I know a lot of authors hate saying "Agnes said, Raymonde said" over and over again, but that's because we think of it as reading aloud, rather than simply reading silently. I forgot where I read this years ago, but when reading our eyes mostly just go past the said, and it's just to identify who is speaking. It's important to do, especially early on, as the characters are not fully established, so it can be harder to identify who is talking just by their manner of speaking.

But otherwise, keep plugging away. Everything will get better as you get more "reps", for lack of a better term.

Yeah. In-game tried to form an alliance with Henri, only for him to turn me down. The release schedule is giving me less time to edit than I would like. When I'm writing the dialogue usually comes easy. I have more trouble with descriptions, of both character actions and scenery.

Reactions:
Yeah. In-game tried to form an alliance with Henri, only for him to turn me down. The release schedule is giving me less time to edit than I would like. When I'm writing the dialogue usually comes easy. I have more trouble with descriptions, of both character actions and scenery.

I can sympathize with writing dialogue vs. writing descriptions. Honestly, you don't need the most descriptive scenes - basic things will suffice - where are they, who is present. The reader can usually fill in the blanks.

If your schedule is giving you problems, then it might benefit to change your schedule. I'd say shorter chapters, but that's not always easy to do, since you start writing and go. But, you could always see if chapters could be split and then only edit one half and post it.

Reactions:

As one who has never been able to keep to a schedule with his writing, even without accounting for editing, I'd say you're already doing a hell of a job. As for the dialogues vs. descriptions... give it time. As you keep writing they'll come easier, but as @JabberJock14 said, they don't need to be too complex in the first place. It's a choice, of course, but AARs tend to focus on what happens in the game, so on political events. Those are better relayed with dialogue than with long descriptions, especially if your POV is over the shoulder of the characters. Personally, I've found battle scenes to be my main channel to practice writing descriptions.

Reactions:
As one who has never been able to keep to a schedule with his writing, even without accounting for editing, I'd say you're already doing a hell of a job. As for the dialogues vs. descriptions... give it time. As you keep writing they'll come easier, but as @JabberJock14 said, they don't need to be too complex in the first place. It's a choice, of course, but AARs tend to focus on what happens in the game, so on political events. Those are better relayed with dialogue than with long descriptions, especially if your POV is over the shoulder of the characters. Personally, I've found battle scenes to be my main channel to practice writing descriptions.
Thank you.

Great work! May the baby Queen soon have her nursery be based in Jerusalem the most holy of cities!
That's the plan.

This next chapter is a bit different. It's a letter written by Anna to her sister, Princess Adele. They've both had fascinating lives, ones the gameplay and my explanation for it made even wilder. It's a brief detour from the main plot, but I assure you, some of these developments will be important later on.

Reactions:
Interlude 1
Dear Adele.

I am not sure my first letter reached you. I sent it just before I left for Constantinople when you were in England, a ward of King Henry, and betrothed to his son Richard. I wanted you to know something about me, the sister you would never meet. Well, father said we would never see each other, I held out childish hope. I know now that we will never meet. I don’t pretend you will approve of the person I have become, but I hope at the very least you will understand her.
I know you have had quite a turbulent life. Alas, we share that fate. Father seems to have had bad luck where marriage was concerned.
20200523115211_1.jpg

Constantinople was a grand city, it still is, even with much of its glory carted off to Venice and elsewhere. To an eight-year-old girl whisked away from Paris to wed a handsome Prince, it was a dream come true. Oh, the wonders I could tell you of.

1-christ-in-dome2a.jpg

bdb325588b906bfddbb75bf4c4b0c942.jpg

main-qimg-f8806275e1425ac1b38ad7d813cfdbeb.jpg

tumblr_nvdcbjp7mG1rasnq9o1_500.jpg
4722f96d73de41315e2128ddf644579a.jpg

tumblr_nvdcbjp7mG1rasnq9o1_500.jpg

I spent much of my time under the guardianship of Emperor Manuel’s wife, and his eldest daughter, the Porphyrogennete both named Maria. The Emperess was very kind to me. It was she who supervised my education, she spoke French as she was from a descendent of the House of Poitiers. The culture was a blend of our’s and the Greeks. The Emperor adored his wife and would do much to please her. They even held tourneys in their hippodrome. I longed for the day where Prince Alexios could wear my favor.

20200523120426_1.jpg

20200523115639_1.jpg

20200523115648_1.jpg

20200523115633_1.jpg

Of course, my Prince was an insolent brat. Everyone agrees on that now. But I still adored him. He hardly paid me the time of day, but his mother assured me he pinned for me. I think she saw me as a way to retain her influence over her son. That might have been why he resented me so much.
The other Maria did not approve of her stepmother’s influence over the government. The family I had loved descended into intrigues and schemes, something I am sure you became familiar with at the Court of the Plantagenets.
Their feuding led to Andronikous Komnennos seizing power, murdering both Maria’s, their followers, most of the Latin population of Constantinople, and my betrothed Alexios. And then he came for me.
Luckily he viewed me as a mere political tool to legitimize himself and keep the alliance with father. He saved most of his lusts for his mistresses, including his niece.
Near the end, he ranted to me about how the entire nobility was full of self-interested snakes. How every atrocity he committed was to save Rome and how the people were so wretched and ungrateful to both him and his house. I informed him I was his wife not his confessor. He left me alone after that.
The new Emperor was a lecherous fool. That whole family was a disaster. For the Romans, and for the Christian world as a whole.

20200523123243_1.jpg

20200523123250_1.jpg

Though Emperor Issac was wed to a Princess of Hungary, he could not confine his lusts to one woman. Many came to his bed, willingly or otherwise. For a time, I feared I was in his sights. He’d taken Andronikos’s throne, why not his wife.

Fortunately, I had a protector.

20200523124840_1.jpg

His family had long defended the north of the Empire from its enemies, no matter their origin.
So he often found himself fighting Latins, both Normans, and Germans. But he never held me in any contempt, nor did I him.
By that time I had come to see Constantinople, my home. Truth be told I became unfairly bitter towards our family. Why had father sent me so far away from home? Why had no letters been sent? Why hadn’t they protected me? Was it because I was disposable? I, of course, recognize the distance and difficulties involved in contacting me, and that our beloved father and sweet brother had other more urgent matters to attend to. But I will not say that my heart did not ache from all those years spent alone and afraid.
Theodoros himself knew the pain of loss, his father had died fighting the Emperor and much of his ancestral lands had been lost to the new Bulgarian Kingdom. I think that is why we understood each other so well. Or maybe he just took pity on me.

Princess Anna.jpg

For the first time since they strangled Empress Maria I felt safe and happy. Like I had a home. We considered ourselves to be married, though our cousins from Flanders would feel differently.
My Theodoros plotted with other discontents to overthrow Issac in favor of his brother, Alexios.

20200523123256_1.jpg

Theodoros was in the room when they blinded the Bassilios. He told me he just kept screaming and asking his brother why he had betrayed him. My love told me they had both done it all to save the Empire. I like to think he did it in part for me. But I couldn't help but notice how my second husband used the same justification as my first. I’m sure you get a lot of that from our dear brother. I do not envy the burden placed upon his shoulders.
Alas the new Emperor was as ambitious as he was craven. Cout Baudoin’s victory in the first siege had more to do with Alexios’s idiocy than any competence or valor on his part, though he was not lacking in those departments.
My husband decided that the best way to save the Empire was to cooperate with the Franks. I admit a certain stubbornness on my part kept me from reconciling to the new alliance at first. I hadn’t seen my kin from Flanders in years, and the first thing they did was attack my home, endangering the life of my husband and daughter. Alexios the third was no Manuel, but neither were his brother and son and by attacking, the Latins had made a bad situation worse. Still, I pray for the success of our realm.

I do not deny opposing the ascension of the House of Flanders, nor that I was discourteous to some of the Lords of the Fourth Crusade. But I have reconciled myself to the rule of the Franks. The future of me and mine depends on their success.
The New Emperor, Henri, is far superior to his brother. He is more willing to listen to the few Roman bureaucrats and nobles who haven’t fled to Nicea and Trebizond. He has also named my husband marshal. I have to think that if previous Bassilios’s had done so we would not be in this mess.
I have also taken quite the liking to his daughter, Anges. She helped me re-learn the French language, and I in turn advised her on the court in Constantinople. I hope that advice serves her well in Acre. Technically succession remains male only, but I know many who would prefer the young Anges succeed her father should he fail to have male issue, or else Baudoin’s daughter, the Countess of Flanders
(picture of the Countess of Flanders.)
I beg you to convince our brother to send relief to the states of the Outeremier. Not just the Empire, but Jeruslum, Antioch, and Cyprus as well. Without aid, I fear we will be done in. Either by the Saracens, or the other roman contender states. For I assure you, they are not finished yet.

20200523130437_1.jpg

I would be lying if I said I was blissfully happy. Latin marriage seems to have increased my distance from Theo more than anything. The years of intrigues have left him suspicious of everyone, including me, who has been loyal, steadfast and loving all these years. It does hurt.
Our little girl has grown up and wed one of the Emperor’s Knights, Narjot de Toucy.

20200523130414_1.jpg

I would love to say he treats her well, but that would be another lie. He is a cruel and greedy man. But my Anna endures, for she knows she will be rewarded in heaven. She is the one part of me I know father would be proud of.

20200523130417_1.jpg

It is lonely without children. Me and my husband pray for a son, both to warm our hearts, and to keep Adriannople under the control of the Branas family. We were both so happy when Anna was born, maybe a new child can bring joy back into our lives.
Our Royal brother’s letter mentioned that he placed his natural son, Peire, in your care. I hope you both are well. I am also told you were married, but that it ended due to “complications” related to the Church. I just hope the Lord keeps you and yours safe and well.
Give my love to our royal brother and to my nephews and nieces.

Note: I hope you enjoyed this interlude. The next chapter might be delayed, I have to drive back to college to pick up my stuff. Please feel free to give any sort of constructive citisicism, I relish the chance to improve.

Attachments

• th-12.jpg
    th-12.jpg
    41,1 KB · Views: 0
  • th-7.jpg
    th-7.jpg
    41,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
She had quite the life. I know in history she fades from the record not too much longer after the point of the story, but I guess she might have some lasting affect in this timeline as opposed to our timeline.

Reactions:
Still here and reading...just busy with life stuff. I don't really have anything to add save for what JabberJock said. It was a tad difficult to read without any tags, and I did have to reread a bit on sections I got lost on.

Great work.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Her entire life sounds like a medieval soap opera! Also one thing I am confused on did she or did she not become the Latin Empress?
No. Her husband was an influential Greek ally of the Latins. She was Emperess under Andronikos Komnenos.

She had quite the life. I know in history she fades from the record not too much longer after the point of the story, but I guess she might have some lasting affect in this timeline as opposed to our timeline.
Yeah. It was so crazy I just felt I had to include her, even if it went nowhere.

Still here and reading...just busy with life stuff. I don't really have anything to add save for what JabberJock said. It was a tad difficult to read without any tags, and I did have to reread a bit on sections I got lost on.

Great work.
I thought I added threadmarks. Sorry if my writing confused you.

To all, I'm back from my excursion to North Carolina. Hopefully I didn't get infected. I'll be getting back to work on the next chapter. I can probably have it ready by next Saturday. I've also outlined further ahead so hopefully I will be better able to stay on schedule.

• 1Like
Reactions: