• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 19 Part 10
A new beginning?

Jean awoke with tears in his eyes. He raised his hands to his face. It was solid. He brought it down to wipe away the sweat from his clammy brow. I felt my hand now. I am sold. I’m not in a dream.
He got up and paced around the room. Savary, Maria, the Komnena, and Hughes. They had all been trying to tell him something. But what? He had seen so much. From so many places. And they hadn’t given him a clear answer. He needed to do this. He needed fresh air. Sitting in his bed and brooding all day would do him no good. “Save Alix and her children. Yes, I must do that.”
He washed up. “I just wish the Emperor congratulations on his new child.” He stopped himself from saying even if it is only a girl. Maria would not have liked that.
He donned his tunic and pants and walked downstairs. “Good morning your Grace”, an old man at arms who looked vaguely familiar, said stiffly. “A merry Christmas to you good man.” The soldier looked uncomfortable. Ordinarily Jean would not have paid the issue a second thought. “Did I say something to offend you, my good man?”
“No no. It's just. While I honor our lord and savior, of course, his birthday brings to mind painful memories. My wife she… she died on Christmas morning. Just around sunup in fact.”
“Ah. I see. I am sorry for your loss.”
“Thank you, your Grace. This year is especially hard. My son took an arrow at the siege you see.” He had mentioned something of the sort. “Yes. A brave man. Dead before his time. I am truly sorry for your loss.” To Jean’s great surprise he found that he meant it. Something about seeing the man in such an unguarded moment had moved his heart.
“Thank you, your Grace. I should count my blessings. I have two grandchildren.”
“They give you trouble do they not”, he said with a laugh and a smile. Something about this tiny part of the dream world bleeding into reality made him happy. It had been a cruel dream, but a beautiful one, and he had seen old friends again. He waved the concern aside. “Bah they’re young what do you expect. They’re good at heart and will grow out of it.”
“That is a good thing to hear.” He glanced at the table. “Why don’t you have a seat.”
“Before the King of Jerusalem? I would never dream.”
“Men like you are what made me a true King. Now come, sit, your back must be killing you.”
The old soldier looked surprised. “How did you know that, your grace?”
Jean smiled. “That’s my job now, to know things.” It sounded like the sort of wisdom someone wise would dispense.
“Well, I thank you. Truly, from the bottom of my heart, for this great honor.”
As Jean prepared to open the door the soldier called. “Oh, a cripple shambled up to the door last night, begging for shelter and the like. I asked him why none of the Churches or Hospitals would take him and he said they were packed.”
Yes, Jean had heard something about that problem. Amadee had been going on and on about the sick and the poor and the needy. “And what did you tell him?”
“I told him that you were not to be disturbed, and he should go bang on some other door.”
“And what happened after that?”
“He could not move any further and just kind of slumped against the side of the building. I took pity on the poor wretch and gave him some of my dinner. I think he’s still out there.”
Jean opened the door and looked out. Sure enough, a man with a brown scraggly bear and the dirtiest hair he had ever seen was slumped up against Jean’s residence.
“Well soldier, it would seem we will be having a guest for breakfast.”
“Are… you sure sir.” Jean got the feeling that the man expected him to be suggesting they have the man for breakfast. It would be a proposition as out of character as what Jean was doing right now.
Jean told him to come in.
“Thank you, my lord! Thank you! You are my salvation on this day. Why you are as great a Saint as goodman Hallel!”
Yesterday, Jean would have beheaded any man who made such a comparison.

With the beggar taken care of Jean left the house and headed out into the city. He found Halell where he was last night, handing out food to the poor near the Church of Saint John, at the crossroads of the city’s old Jewish and Armenian quarters. Somehow it seemed fitting.
“I would not take you for the charitable type”, Jean called out to his commander. Hallel flashed a hideous smile and bowed. “Majesty. It is an honor to greet you on this fine morning.”
“And you as well, my favorite infidel. What we have before us is a true miracle.”
He leaned in. “I confess, I did not plan to do this just out of the goodness of my heart. Being known as a savior has its advantages, but I think I just fell into the role. It feels good to ease the woes of others, wouldn’t you agree?”
“Yes, I would.”

He headed over to where Alphonse and the other commanders had been drinking. Approaching the guard at the gate he was halted. “Your grace”.
“Good sir, how fare our fine commanders this morning?”
The man, a younger fellow, glanced around as if waiting for someone, anyone to give him instructions. Alas, there was only him and the King of Jerusalem.
“Er, they are fine. Very fine. Fine sober men. But they gave me strict orders not to be disturbed.”
“Is that so?”
“It is, your grace.”
“And I don’t suppose that included turning away your King. Surely, they would understand disobedience in such circumstances?”
“Erh I. I only am doing what I am told.”
Jean smiled wickedly. It was good to be in charge of things again.
“Settle down, settle down. I understand your plight. I promise I’ll tell them it wasn’t your fault.” With that, he brushed the man aside and went in.
The men were stumbling around groggily, with the illustrious Count of Beirut still drunkenly comatose upon the bench.
“My lords”, Jean said with crisp formality.
The men spun to some approximation of attention. “Your grace. We apologize for our less than presentable condition”, Amadee said like a man carefully working his way through a fog of the mind.
Jean grinned and laughed. “Ah, you are forgiven. After all, I would expect nothing less on a night like the last. Do you gentlemen mind if I have a word with my good friend Alphonse, in private?”
They gave their assent and left the room, carrying the Count on their shoulders. Alphonse himself stood rigidly at attention.
“Alphonse.”
“Your Grace.”
“I wanted to see you after the mess I made of things last night and tell you how terribly sorry I am about well, what an ass I made of myself.”
“Have no fear sir, I am used to it.”
“But that’s just it. You shouldn’t have to be. You have been nothing but a good and loyal servant and have always given me wise and well intended council, and valor in battle. I, in turn, have shown you such disrespect and scorn.”
“Don’t make anything of it.”
“Well, I intend to make something of it. Starting today I promise to be a better to you, as both a king to his advisor and a friend to his friend.”
Alphonse smiled. “I thank you for your generosity, your Grace. I shall forever remain your friend and servant”
“Good. Good. That is very good to hear. Are you up for getting back to work? Or should I give you a day of rest?”
“I think we have too much undone to allow ourselves any of those.”
“Quite right. I had two matters to take care of, besides our impending visit to the Emperor. Since the first of these required the attention of the Count of Beirut, who is too inebriated to take any action…”
“He seemed bothered about something last night. He was trying to be charming, but I sensed something was off.”
Jean smirked. “Well, we know it wasn’t poison.”
“How did you..”
“Regardless, I will wait until the Chancellor has received to consult with him. In the meantime, we do have other tasks to attend to.”

He called the other commanders back into the room. After thanking them for their fidelity and courage in battle, he turned to Mayor Amadee. “I want you to send out parties of men to search for food in the countryside. If not, since you are such a charitable man, you could not doubt arrange for more to be brought in for cheap via the port of Acre.”
“Thank you, your grace.”
“I am merely doing what my wise councilors advised me to. But I will gladly accept your acclamations.”
“Alphonse, I want you to convey the city’s councilors and other notables. I have a proposition for them.”
A gaggle of councilors gathered in the Tower of David. Clerics representing the various Christan denominations, as well as a duo of a semi traumatized Rabbi and Imam.
“My esteemed men of Jerusalem. The suffering of your city has troubled me greatly. Have no fear. Your King is here to provide for you.”
“Will this mean the armies will cease eating us out of house and home?”, said an eager Armenian Cleric.
Jean restrained the urge to yet at the man. “Sadly no. But we are working to bring relief. And once the fighting begins, construction will begin on a more permanent solution to your woes.

20211223191824_1.jpg

20211223191829_1.jpg

20211223191833_1.jpg

20211223191837_1.jpg

20211223191843_1.jpg

With the Templars and Hospitallers looking to break with the Kingdom, it would be up to the crown to undertake some of their former duties. Even if they continue to man fortress or tend to the sick and care for pilgrims, that would give them power, and Jean did not want organizations so hostile to him to wield that kind of power.

By the time Jean had finished his meeting, the Chancellor had recovered from his hangover.
“I apologize for my undignified state earlier.”
“No need to Chancellor.” The pleasure Jean had derived from his rival’s disgraceful drunkenness was all the reward he needed. Still, he tried to keep his mind on the positives, on the people who needed help, and not his petty issues with Count Jean.
“I assume you had something you wanted to convey to me?”
“Yes. I have a matter most urgent. I know you might not think it anything of your concern, but it involves the Queen of Cyprus.”
“Hughes widow?”
“And your sister by law yes. My niece.”
“Oh, I assume they are in good health.” Jean did his best to wear his most smug expression.
Ibelin then proceeded to tell of the family’s travails. All the while Jean displayed no emotion. He merely motioned for Ibelin to continue.
“Now I know what you are going to say.”
“Do you?”, he said quietly, allowing Ibelin to talk over him.
“You’ll say that it wasn’t your fault that Hughes died. He was grasping and ambitious and should have known the costs his death would inflict upon his House. You will ask if I am implying that you are responsible for his death, which you will fiercely deny. And you will…”
“I will help them.” The look of complete bewilderment that came across Jean of Ibelin’s face was a veritable Christmas miracle. One Jean would treasure for some time. “Er yes um. Thank you, I am very grateful.”
Jean nodded gravely. “Yes. Those girls have been through enough. We need to take action to alleviate their plight. I can’t stand the thought of those little girls in danger, our poor Melisande languishing in Venetian captivity. We could even invite Alix and her husband to our court. It would make her so happy.” Ibelin’s jaw hung open like a raised portcullis. Jean had meant every word of what he said. And that fact made Ibelin’s bewilderment all the sweeter.
“I confess. This was not what I was expecting your Grace.”
“It is not what I would have done until very recently.”
“Oh?”
“Indeed.”
“My mother always said there was more to you than met the eye.”
“She was a very wise woman. She helped me more than you can ever know.”
“Something has changed about you your Grace if you don’t mind me being so blunt. You seem almost a different man from yesterday.”
“Let's just say that I had a visit from some very wise people and that they helped me realize some truths about myself and the world.”
“Oh?”
“Yes well. You should start making arrangements for your trip.”
“My trip?”
“Yes, your trip. I need someone to negotiate with the Venetians. And since you are my Chancellor and so close to the matter at hand..”
“I understand.”
“I thought you would. You will take ship from Acre at the first opportunity.” Even if he was doing good, he could still inconvenience Ibelin in the meantime.
But Ibelin himself seemed unbowed. “I look forward to carrying out such a noble task.” Jean could see the ghost of his mother in him.
After they concluded the meeting, Jean showed Ibelin to the door. The Chancellor looked back at him. “She spoke to you, didn’t she? Somehow someway this is her doing.”
“I neither confirm nor deny that.”
“Her last words were to tell me to cooperate with you. Did you know that?”
"No."
"I do not blame you for that. Her whole life was dedicated to duty. Whatever she told you. Please tell me she was at peace."
Jean thought back to the last moments he had spent with the Komninos Queen. Right as she wished her granddaughter goodbye and vanished.
"I think she was at peace in the end. She knew her job was done." Even if it had not been done as well as she had intended. Sometimes when one set out to a task, they just needed to get it done, even if the final result was imperfect.
"Thank you."
It felt surprisingly good to be good. He still had work to do. He needed to visit Hughes and write to Agnes and Isabelle. Soon the war would be over. And the task of rebuilding the Kingdom would fall to him. He would not fail. He could not. Now that he had the expectations of both the living and the dead weighing on him.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well as of 11:05 EST on Christmas, it is done. When I first planned this chapter, I wanted to publish it on Christmas 2020. So I just barely managed to be late by one year. I hope you enjoyed my long slog. We have finally reached the end of not just this day, but 1214 as well. The longest year and day in AAR history. I will be going back and editing these chapters, as well as reformatting them. But right now I just need to sleep. Have a Happy Holidays everyone.

Reactions:
Thank you for the excellent update! Will Jean finally see his flaws and stop using his daughter for his own advancement? In Avon, the Komnenos-Doukas were Jelena's father and siblings, the Dukes and Duchesses of Epirus.
Right. We will see. Jean will get better, but he is still a medieval dynast. He can be kinder, but ultimately he needs to advance the position of his house. What he can do is make sure she is in a position to do this for herself, as opposed to being a pawn in his own schemes.
A moving finale to the three ghosts. Let us hope that christmas present will bring a tad of joy
Thanks. I hope you like this chapter.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 20: Meet the new Lords
The New Year marked the end of the Crusade. In ill health, with his armies scattered and Jerusalem captured, the Sultan of Egypt felt he had no choice but to sue for peace.
Though the Latins were triumphant, and indeed their strength was not as solid as it appeared. Tensions were flaring in the coalition. Venice in particular had shocked Christendom with its conduct on Cyprus, and Emperor Henri planned to use this as a Casus Belli to resolve, some of the issues left over from the Fourth Crusade. Even the Princes who were not about to fight their fellow Christians were eager to see the war ended. Every day that went by found them spending more coin and did not make their souls any safer than if they had just marched to Jerusalem and went home. The Pope and Emperor Henri both agreed it was time for talks.
The result was the following agreement
-The Kingdom of Jerusalem was to be restored to its pre-Hatin borders.
-The King of Jerusalem and the Lord of Outerjordan must pledge to not tax or harass pilgrims traveling to Mecca.
-The King of Jerusalem shall allow Egyptian caravans to cross its territory to Syria and Arabia.
-Egyptian armies are to be allowed to cross the Kingdom’s territory in order to fight defensive wars.

Many considered these terms to be outrageous, unfair even, but the Crusade’s leaders preferred them to the cost of continuing the war.
For the proud Outremer nobles, more outrage was to come. They had assumed that the end of the war would mean the restoration of old families, bloodlines that they had extensive ties. However, this would not be the case. What they did not know was that the Pope had agreed to allow the Crusading monarchs to carve out fiefs for their relatives out of the Kingdom's territory.
This radical rearrangement was justified on both practical and theological grounds.
Practically, it was difficult to motivate Kings to risk all in the Crusade without some prospect of reward for themselves or their kin. And though the spiritual award was appreciated, for the resources needed to ensure victory, much more was needed, and it needed to be given to a lot more people. This reward would encourage kings to send more forces, indeed, to fight harder, as those that contributed the most would have the most land given to their beneficiaries.
Theologically, the Pope and indeed much of the Latin clergy were gravely concerned about the perceived "degeneracy" of the Outremer nobility. Their eating and bathing habits, dress, and especially recent incidents of Latin Nobles wedding Muslim women caused a fear that they were being subtly converted by the enemy, as Eve had been tempted by the serpent.
It was felt that new lords were needed to see to the defense and conversion of the reconquered lands.
The High Court gathered at Bethlehem to hear the news of the treaty. Agreements struck prior to the meeting ensured things would go according to plan.
Jean of Brienne had been persuaded to accede in exchange for a massive payment to the royal treasury
joKrn57r03Lik_xkRvfmAQuARZai6tLszzFHmIyTiPLZ57AYAM2Ps0vgMHJ89db91pfRGbNcB8fswKVyxMpZumt1aqAhysZxtzbc5OdV2dBYEniWXDduGU9Eglwn7lZh6h0CS3EY

Breine figured that coin could prove more powerful than stone walls or steel swords.
Besides, he cared little for the old nobility. His sole complaint was that his advisor Alphonse would not be given a county. Jean offered to give him a barony, but the knight declined. He would not leave the center of power for such a meager reward.
Jean of Beirut was the traditional champion of the old nobility. He was pacified by a marital alliance with the powerful nobleman Albregio, the future Duke of Acre, along with a substantial bribe from Emperor Henri. He himself would say that he merely capitulated to pragmatism. “Henri and his holiness had the steel, the coin, and the Lord on their side. All I had was the legal right.”

The count of Safed for his part pronounced himself happy to see that hapless beggars would not benefit from the sacrifices of better men, and went to the meeting specifically to see the looks on the faces of the dispossessed nobleman and laugh at them.
The noblemen themselves were bought off with payments from the Crusade tax gathered throughout Europe to support the war. Those who continued to oppose the changes had to face down an irate Emperor Henri.
“You have only been granted your titles by the Grace of his holiness and the might of Christendom. Yet you have forsaken those that gave you power for the sake of Eastern debauchery. Your sin cost Christendom these lands once before, and it will not do so again!” The Emperor’s fury was enough to force the recalcitrant assembly back into line.

. All told the crown gained five new vassals, three Dukes and two Counts, and two of the Dukes had vassals in turn. We are given a vivid impression of these men and Dolca of Nablus, by a letter Jean of Briene wrote to his wife Agnes.
20211231205301_1.jpg

By the personal decree of Emperor Henri the Principality of Galilee was awarded to the house of Lusignan. Few seemed to think much of the new Prince of Tiberias, Jean amongst them: "He is a Lusignan in the mold of his brother Guy, not the late King Aimery. Worse than Guy I think. Say what you will for the incompetent at least he feared god. All this one knows how to do is carouse and pester serving girls. Though as he is so old and slow the girls easily maneuver away from his grasp."
“He was once known as a great diplomat, but the knowledge of this seems to have gone to his head and utterly ruined him. He lies compulsively and yet seems baffled at the idea anyone might be lying to him in turn.
Worst, he has no capacity for soldiery, preferring to spend his days in idleness in the company of fools who gather around him and laugh at his jokes in the hopes that he will give them money. The Prince also demanded overlordship of Beirut, but both Jean of Brienne and Jean of Ibelin were determined to protect the county’s royal immediacy. A matter that would cause much strife with the new Prince of Galilee.
NgKxVak7uOLCROhlzHLVKNtv3GT7YuEkqzy1MKtdzm4Dd3o87pLGx-F7rr4wri9xxvuffgTxrl8Gw1pckP3eykBLn0PoOVjTlFKw1CxE5c5slyhRoeqYvASCkbuxtHelWxtqWihK

Jean had much more complimentary things to say about the Duke’s vassal, the young Count of Tiberias, Gilen de Navara: “He is a kind and brave man who forsakes learning, intrigue, and talk for the sword.” Jean also noted that: “He has no capacity for conversation with women, or for conversation with men, for that matter.” The only truly off-putting thing about him was his bastard status and his bizarre marriage to his aunt, two matters that Gilen confessed to Jean: “he was as repulsed as I was.”

Serving as a further ally of the Ibelins was Duke Abrigo of Acre, the second son of the Count of Padua, who ruled from the rebuilt city of Cesaria, and who would wed Count Jean’s daughter, the famously skittish Cecile of Ibelin. On this matter, however, the two Jeans were in disagreement. Where Ibelin praised his kindness to Cecile, his bravery in battle, and his friendly nature, Breine highlighted less positive qualities. His sloth, his duplicity, and his preference of carousing to ruling, which especially galled the temperate Knight. Of course he had good reason to highlight Arbigo’s faults. The two were locked in a rivalry over the possession of Acre. The Duke wanted Mayor Amadee as a vassal but Breine but was denied, very bluntly, which offended the Italian.
FTfPIQtjYZGwy16pUIqIFOuGyweGhmjslsg4fcR1LEE7-xK6eP7U4lMs_jEU_vmv-Mvlin-K1omobHyxAZo7SWeh6FMBYFkOgZ3buUz9IE-ZyK-_PsCRxzYI2pKACAH-e9_qcUhv

The final Duke was a familiar face to Agnes and Jean. For his beneficiary, Emperor Henri nominated his brother Godfried as Duke of Outerjordan.

wxIWDlIboepCeoO2xQj9oVqakE_A_cvSo8c32azYhAmhPZ--5BycFXjR5-XYqefdA9GNDRfFxACa0slmlvaDzuEeiKd8MSp4i0N-13JwldvfH08u4qqR0XfEFX5h6k0OhtBC9XXv

Or rather, “High Cheif” of Outerjordan.* Agnes’s uncle was an unstable, violent man, who feuded with his new sister in law. Indeed it was said he was given the title not so much as a reward, but as a sort of exile from Imperial politics. Whatever the case he took to the role with gusto.
Upon hearing that the local structures of governance were tribal, the lunatic Fleming declined to be named Duke, taking the title “High Cheif” of Outerjordan. Surprisingly the Latin nobility adapted well to the change, probably having something to do with the fact that they could now had religious authorization to take concubines.
The Duke was good at nothing save cruelty and following the dictates of his own batshit inerpriations of the Bible. He was arbitrary, cruel and lazy. And yet the Bedouin put up with him. One wonders what that said about how they thought of the rest of the Franks, or for that matter, central authority of any kind.

KHQ41s771yDA4rPjG_r2Z-dNHoc5_oZDJpkG_SLxs3-ocRk3j2_fkD3kaC492XmC2C8zMl0cCLtCmBUc-gvxHUo8Clrgi66dkYZL3CLmWBqZtHMzlKNL1Gyn1TES6zpd8LXvLx7f

The ruins of the great Castle of Kerak were given, as per Count Raymond’s agreement with the late King Levon, to Raymond Roupen.

Though he possessed a talent for stewardship and intrigue, on the whole, his ambitions far outstripped his abilities. Though good-looking and diplomatic, his paranoia and miserliness made it difficult for him to make friends. In the end the popularity contest between Raymond and Godfried was a race to the bottom.

Young Raymond Roupen would take himself out of the running for Duke, and catapult himself into romantic legend when he wed the Bedouin lady Khaizuran.

f6-sj2bDIuiXHyeS3TV8Au7irS-Er_SG71u7snfM_DKQb4AVrxkL4HsdWZZ2_aBFC_Wlpy4M-7p4Re-374ewEH8Wh7GNst4-ivZy08fHBhT3AVDMq1l8POc_LM5RFqwAYn4w9cK_

Though other such unions had occurred amongst the nobility, Khaizuran’s kindness, gentle nature, and astute comercial mind, impressed even the most bigoted contemporaries. It was agreed by all that she did much to improve her young husband. During her brief term as countess, Latin and Bedoin sat side by side around the same fires. It was widely believed that the Count would use the tribes to overthrow his liege.

Alas, the couple’s happy life together would be cut short. Their first child was born ill and weak and lived for a little over four months.

EDKn1U7E5AKg9-sLs3d_dTJZZV_hjoKtWX6I-jT7RShEARwOwHaHNDzIKH_ftml903vMKboTQZkdctfZnuisUPn_NVWBWy44xYvUyMt8s-58z4RLfiu0TSSYzrDzD5yTuXfSrU5f

His mother was heartbroken. Soon the festivities and lively meetings ceased. The Count would neglect the duties of state to mourn his son. Soon the lady began to weaken. Though the young Count abandoned all his political interests to be by her side, she continued to wither and then finally died. At the time it was said she died of a broken heart. Historians, reviewing her symptoms, have concluded that it was cancer.

At the time many Christian commentators pronounced his fate as the just punishment of one who wed the infidel. But the tale was romanticized even at the time. Now it is the subject of movies, books, and Otome games the world over.
20211231205454_1.jpg

A just honest and proud man, the Count of Elm proved popular with his soldiers and subjects and very unpopular with his liege, who saw him as a rival. Wlad himself however was content to feast and drink with his friends. He was the nephew of the Duke of Greater Poland and since the Duke’s daughter was young, healthy, and expected to reign for many years, it was not seen as improper to send him so far away. Alas, the murder of the young duchess would see Wlad inherit and cause many complications within both Kingdoms.
20220218212209_1.jpg

The first of the autonomous county vassals was Gerard of Hebron. A contradictory man, possessing both a keen sense of justice and a talent for underhanded action, he would go on to have an illustrious career in the East. This, however, was not how he was perceived at the time. Jean’s impressions of him focused on his self-deprecating sense of humor, which he found unfunny, distaste for violence, which Jean labeled as cowardice, and his weakness for women.
The Count had three young sons from a previous marriage and was wed to a much younger woman from a merchant family. He vowed to give up his infidelities once his family returned to him, though that would take several years.

The King of Aragon surprised everyone by naming not a male beneficiary, but his daughter, Dolca, as countess of Nablus. While the young woman was well-liked, few saw anything in her that warranted leadership in such a dangerous land. A new mother, Dolca professed reluctance to assume her title, saying that she would prefer to return to Aragon, to be with her husband and son.
lzwU6uCiVVBSCXmpIupSDKDDRD--oh24ysWT9_rze8E53zMLnj0LJfdqP4MsKoDIrwaAi35D3PqWS_0QW5vOYJABMLUhXvfL-farO24ZIqm6XxwkMU6fjUqsxJ7QM-d3cXsEAHzB

Of course, the men around her mostly perceived only her kindness, humility, and patience to those around her. They did not see that in addition to those virtues she possessed a canny social intelligence and a deceptive streak that would serve her well.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A wonderful completion! For something this good, a year is but a moment of time. How old is Isabelle and is she already 'the Great'? Thank you for updating and sharing your holiday with us.
Thank you. She is 3-4ish, I forgot the exact age. Still a little kid. I don’t think the game recognizes how little control a three year old has when it comes to nicknames. I will address this later
Thank you for updating. How much did Isabella control before the crusade? Everybody under her? Until Egypt is liberated, the KoJ is in the danger zone.
She was just a little kid, so now real power. If you are referring to territory, she controlled the Levantine coast up to Beirut. The Kingdom will face a major threat soon, but it will not come from Egypt, weirdly enough.

So sorry for not replying to you earlier. Thank you for your praise and loyalty.

Reactions:
She was just a little kid, so now real power. If you are referring to territory, she controlled the Levantine coast up to Beirut. The Kingdom will face a major threat soon, but it will not come from Egypt, weirdly enough.

That seems ominous. Perhaps the threat may come from within? Even if the old nobles were pacified, sparks of conflict may light up as the new nobility begins to interact and assert its power over the more grizzled Outremer nobles. Great update.

• 3Like
Reactions: