• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MattSR30

Captain
1 Badges
Aug 8, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
THE CROWNED STAGS

250px-House_Baratheon.PNG

Hello everyone and welcome to the pseudo-sequel to my other ongoing AAR, The Crowned Dragons! If you're a fan of that one, don't worry, it isn't ending, I just had a desire to start up another one, so here we are!

I decided to write an AAR starring my favorite house, House Baratheon, and beginning with my favorite character in the ASOIAF series, Robert Baratheon. Beginning in the year 282 AL, at the start of the War of the Usurper, this AAR will span the reign of Robert Baratheon, and hopefully his many successors.

I hope this AAR lasts for a long time, and I hope all of you joining me on this ride will enjoy it!​

Last edited:
PROLOGUE - ROBERT'S REBELLION

w6Qxeft.png

When the histories right of King Robert's ascension to the throne, they will say it began on the day he rose up against the Mad King, Aerys Targaryen. Rhaegar Targaryen, son of the Mad King, had kidnapped Lyanna Stark and whisked her away to the South, where he kept her as his play thing. Seeking justice, Lords Rickard and Brandon Stark traveled to King's Landing to demand the release of Lyanna. King Aerys had the two men murdered in his own hall, and called for the heads of Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon. When Jon Arryn refused, the three lords rebelled against the crown, and with the best claim to the Iron Throne, Robert spearheaded the rebellion.

The three families were powerful, but could not take on the rest of Westeros alone. Alliances were needed, and so they began working towards securing them. Eddard Stark, the new Lord of Winterfell, married Catelyn Tully, the eldest daughter of Lord Hoster Tully, while her sister Lysa wed Lord Jon. This act secured the allegiance of House Tully, and tipped the scales in their favor. Yet, it was the actions of the then-Lord Robert that perhaps contributed most to the success of the rebels in the war.

Thinking quickly, Lord Robert sent word to Tywin Lannister, the Lord of Casterly Rock and Warden of the West, who had remained neutral at the outbreak of war. Robert proposed that his younger brother Stannis marry Twyin Lannister's daughter, Cersei. Lord Tywin, perhaps foreseeing the benefits of having a princess for a daughter, accepted, and so one of the largest and most wealthy families in Westeros joined the war on the side of the righteous. Now, the Mad King was outnumbered, and the notion surely unnerved him.

T2FSCmJ.png

The young Baratheon lord's first act was to gather his army to Storm's End, and march on Griffin's Roost. Lord Connington was a close friend of Rhaegar Targaryen, and had sided with him in his war. Lord Robert planned on rooting out those in the Stormlands who sided with the enemy- Houses Connington, Hasty, Grandison, Cafferen and Fell- and punishing their lords for abandoning their liege.

After entering open rebellion midway through the ninth moon of the year 282, Lord Robert's first major victory in the war came during the second moon of 283. Griffin's Roost, the seat of the traitorous House Connington, fell to the besieging army, led by Lord Robert. Jon Connington was taken as a prisoner, and a garrison was left at the castle, to ensure it remained in the hands of those loyal to Robert.

JzrwLre.png

With victory at Griffin's Roost, Robert's army pushed north into the Crownlands. Jon Arryn had moved the armies of the Vale deep into the Crownlands already, and Tywin Lannister was on his way with over forty thousand men behind him. Three thousand men, under the command of Lord Bryen Caron and his bastard son Ser Rolland Storm, remained in the Stormlands to crush any of the remaining bannermen who has sided with the Targaryens.

By the fifth moon of 283, the war was going very well for the rebels. Tywin Lannister had just entered the Crownlands with his army, while Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully had been keeping the crown's forces as bay near the capital. Bryen Caron defeated the Cafferens at Fawnton, and a combined Hasty and Fell force near Harvest Hall, and in doing so, he secured the full support of the Stormlands. Unfortunately, Hoster Tully died in the fighting near the castle of Hayford, in a close victory of the crown forces. He was succeeded by his young son, Lord Edmure.

32VrOS0.png

During the eleventh moon of the year, the rebelling forces suffered one their only defeats of the war. Lord Bryen Caron's force in the Stormlands had travelled to Griffin's Roost, where a small force was harassing the garrison. It turned out to be a trap, and the armies of Dorne entered the fray. Led by Hugh Grandison, a Stormlander who knew the area well, the Dornish army crushed the Stormlander host, with Lord Bryen and his son Ser Rolland barely escaping with their lives. It was a costly defeat for the rebels, but not enough so to halt their efforts further to the North.

DZJxEUD.png

Three moons later, the war was all but over, and the crown loyalists were pushed back to the capital, where they would make a final stand. A combined Baratheon, Lannister, Arryn and Tully force descended upon the army of the Targaryens and Tyrells. Outnumbered nearly three to one, the crown loyalists soon fell, with Mace Tyrell himself dying in the thick of battle. Nearly sixty thousand rebels defeated twenty thousand loyalists that day. The last bastion of Targaryen support was crushed, and the capital was won. However, the Mad King and his son had managed to slip by with a few thousand men, and were making a desperate attempt to flee from justice. It wouldn't work.

YtFgDaQ.png

It was Robert himself that gave chase to the fleeing Targaryens, and he caught them only a few weeks later near Starrydell. Seven thousand Stormlanders put under three thousand Crownlanders to the sword, and the Mad King and his vile son were taken prisoner. The war was won, just eighteen months after it had began, and the realm was finally free from the madness of the Targaryens, for the first time in three hundred years.

WsEKIkL.png

Last edited:
Looking forward to this subbed.

Oh, nice AAR so far, lets hope Robert does not kick the bucket early.

CHAPTER I - CONSOLIDATION

500px-Rey_Robert_y_Jon_Arryn_HBO.jpg

Robert and the victorious rebels had gathered in the capital, Where a new era in the histories of the Seven Kingdoms was beginning. The Targaryen dynasty, one that had unified Westeros and stood alone at its head for three hundred years, was no more. The Mad King and his son were in chains, and Rhaegar's infant children and his wife were kept under house arrest. Viserys, they youngest child of the Mad King, and Queen Rhaella had fled across the Narrow Sea, to gods know where. That was not a concern of Robert's though, for a boy and his mother posed no threat to the new king.

Gathered in the Tower of the Hand, where they might speak in private, Robert Baratheon, his brother and heir Stannis, his loyal friends Lord Stark and Lord Arryn, and Tywin Lannister were discussing the future of the realm. A rebellion of this magnitude had not been seen in Westeros since Daemon Blackfyre attempted to wrest the crown from his half-brother over a hundred years ago. Not to mention the fact that this was the only one in history to succeed. The Targaryens were gone, and order had to be restored. These men, the most powerful in the realm, would be the ones to ensure that the realm returned to peace as swiftly as possible, and that any further attempts to stand against the new king were stamped out. Now was a time to fix the Seven Kingdoms, a time of consolidation.

"You need to build yourself a strong foundation, Robert." Came the advice of Jon Arryn. "Otherwise, your enemies will knock you from your perch as swiftly as you had ascended it. You need a wife, someone who can give you an heir and produce a-"

Robert interjected. "I have a wife."

"No one has seen Lyanna Stark in nearly two years, Robert." Jon replied. "We don't know where she is, and we don't even know if she is alive."

"She's in Dorne." Eddard Stark said, coming to the defence of his friend, and sister. "Rhaegar took her there, and it is there we will find her."

"The we leave for Dorne as soon as the High Septon puts the crown on my head." Robert responded, as he visibly began to get heated by the discussion.

Ned stepped in quickly. "You're needed in the capital Robert. You are the king now, and you must remain in King's Landing. Lyanna is my sister, I will bring her back. I'll travel light and fast, and my sister will be back where she belongs soon enough."

"I guess that settles that." Said Tywin Lannister.

Ned Stark stood from the table and left the room immediately. He wasted no time when it came to rescuing his sister, and Robert appreciated his friend's actions. They had grown up together, they had fought and played together, and now they had won a kingdom together. By bringing Lyanna back, Robert would finally have the two things he ever wanted- Lyanna, and the ability to call Ned Stark his brother. Stannis was loyal to him, but the two weren't close, and Renly was far younger than Robert. Ned was his true brother, and to call him so, and mean it, meant the world to the new king.

With the business of Lyanna Stark seen too, the remaining men in the room began discussing the next matter of business. Robert Baratheon was now the king, and a king needed a Kingsguard. Seven men who would protect their king no matter the cost, true men, honorable men. The finest knights in the realm served as Kingsguard, and Robert needed a new one. Of the seven that had served the Mad King, only three now remained. At the outbreak of the war, Sers Jaime Lannister and Barristan Selmy were burned on the orders of Aerys Targaryen, for the acts of their houses, whom had sided with Robert in rebellion. Both Sers Lewyn Martell and Jonothar Darry were struck down in the final battle of the war, by Ser Lyn Corbray, in a hopeless attempt to defend his king. The whereabouts of Sers Arthur Dayne, Oswell Whent and Lord Commander Gerold Hightower were not known, but many presumed they had fled across the Narrow Sea, to protect Viserys and Rhaella Targaryen.

That did not matter though, for it was likely none of those men would ever be seen again, and if they were, they would be stripped of their white cloaks. Robert was not the type of man who would kill good and honorable men, just because they had chosen the wrong side. They would be allowed to live, but never again would they don the white cloak. Instead, Robert needed an entirely new Kingsguard. Many names were suggested several hours of discussion, until eventually, the new seven was decided upon. Seven ravens departed the capital, with seven destinations, each carrying a letter offering some of the finest knights in the Seven Kingdoms a place in the prestigious order. The men chosen were as follows:

Lord Commander Nestor Royce. The senior member of the cadet branch of House Royce, Nestor Royce and his kinsmen were at the forefront of the Valemen armies during the rebellion. The Royces were feard warriors of a strong stock, much like Robert, and Nestor Royce embodied that perfectly. A proud man, with plenty of experience, Nestor Royce was the eldest man appointed to Robert's Kingsguard, and so naturally took the title of Lord Commander.

8heIqrY.png

Ser Alesander Flowers. A young hedge knight from the Reach, Ser Alesander saw the injustice carried out at the hands of the Mad King, and took a company of hedge knights to the side of Robert Baratheon. This group of men gained recognition, fighting in various battles throughout the Crownlands, and even participated in the penultimate battle of the war, when Robert Baratheon led the rebels to victory over the remaining loyalists. Some say Alesander personally slew Mace Tyrell, but there is no truth to the rumor.

ecJmnL7.png

Ser Balon Swann. Second son of Lord Gulian Swann, and brother to the current Lord of Stonehelm, Lord Donnel, Balon was now no longer heir to House Swann's lands, after the birth of his nephew. As such, the young man had no reason to remain in Stonehelm, and was a perfect fit for the Kingsguard. Brave, strong and honest to a fault, Balon Swann fought directly under Robert Baratheon in the rebellion, and proved his worth many times.

sFQ4RI8.png

Ser Benedict Broom. A knight of House Broom, Benedict fought beside Tywin Lannister during the rebellion, even serving as the Warden of the West's Master-at-Arms for a time. An honorable and loyal man, Benedict followed Lord Tywin's orders without hesitation, and proved himself during the war. It was at the personal recommendation of Tywin Lannister that Benedict Broom gained his place in the Kingsguard.

97YWnBM.png

Ser Dennis of Silverbrook. A simple hedge knight, Dennis sought glory in battle at the outbreak of war, and so he joined with the armies of Tywin Lannister as they marched to the Crownlands. A kind and trusting, yet staunchly prideful man, Ser Dennis gained the glory he sought during the penultimate battle of the war, outside the walls of King's Landing. In the thick of battle, Dennis showed immense bravery and unparalleled skill when he single-handedly killed four of Mace Tyrell's personal guard, before killing the Lord of Highgarden himself. This act crushed the morale of the Reachmen, and ensured a swift victory for the rebels.

Bc4vPXg.png

Ser Lyn Corbray. The second son of the current lord of Heart's Home, Lyn and his family fought valiantly for the rebellion, from the very onset of the war. When Robert Baratheon gave chase to the Mad King and his son at the end of the war, the three men of House Corbray joined the army on behalf of the Vale. It was in the battle near Starrydell that Lyn Corbray gained his reputation as one of the finest swordsmen in Westeros. Picking up the blade of his wounded father- the Valyrian Steel sword, Lady Forlorn- Ser Lyn personally duelled both Lewyn Martell and Jonothor Darry, two knights of Aerys' Kinsguard, and killed them both. As a reward, Ser Lyn was allowed to keep his father's sword, and earned a place on Robert's Kingsguard.

lOk7l66.png

Ser Rolland Storm. The bastard son of Lord Bryen Caron, Rolland Storm and his father led an army of three thousand Stormlanders in stomping out the traiterous Stormlords who failed to answer Robert Baratheon's call to arms. Winning a number of key victories, the small army was eventually set upon at Griffin's Roost by a Dornish force far larger. It was there that the rebels suffered one of their only defeats, but nevertheless, Ser Rolland fought valiantly. Even in the face of certain defeat, he fought on, and suffered grievous wounds as a result. As a bastard, Rolland would never inherit his father's lands, and so he was instead rewarded for his loyalty with the final place on Robert's Kingsguard.

d7GpAhC.png

"There." said Stannis. Robert's younger brother had remained noticeably silent during the council, but now he finally spoke up, no doubt with certain intentions on his mind. "You have your Kingsguard, now you need a council."

"He's right, Robert,"
said Jon, "you have good men to protect you, now you need good men to serve you."

"You are my brother, Robert, I will gladly serve on your council, if you wish it of me." Stannis' reason for being so silent had been revealed. The young man sought station on his brother's council, a station of note.

"I do not wish it." Came Robert's reply. Stannis face was absent-looking. "You are my oldest brother, and my heir, until a son is born to me. Now that I am king, you do not belong on the Small Council. King's Landing is mine now, and Storm's End is now yours. Go, Lord Stannis, rule the Stormlands in the name of your king." Robert ended his sentence with a hearty chuckle. He had chosen his words carefully, and everyone in the room thought he had intended to slight his brother, before revealing his true intentions.

rPPBH8J.png

The four men remaining in the room discussed the matter of a Small Council at great length. Choosing a Kingsguard was a difficult task, but choosing a Small Council was far greater a challenge. Each man chosen needed to be skilled at what they do, and their willingness to cooperate with the crown was a necessity. Of Aerys' Small Council, three men kept their seats, with one serving in a different position, the rest were all new faces to the council. It was thought that only eight men would be needed to fill the seats of the Small Council, but in a clever move to consolidate the realm, the new Lord of the Stormlands made a suggestion, one that would extend an olive branch to those who either chose the wrong side during the rebellion, or deserved a reward for their efforts on the right side. The eleven men chosen to serve on Robert Baratheon's Small Council were as follows:

Lord Jon Arryn, Hand of the King. Jon Arryn had served as faster father to Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark when they were children, and it was in large part thanks to him that Robert was now king. Lord Jon could easily have handed over the young men to King Aerys, but instead, risked the lives of his entire family and rebelled against the crown. His armies fought tooth and nail for Robert, and Lord Jon's loyalty to his ward never faltered. Twyin Lannister, who felt scorned at not being granted the title, nor a seat on the council at all, would have made an excellent choice, but Jon Arryn was the only person on the King's mind.

X4fUSDC.png

Prince Herbert Baratheon, Master of Laws. Herbert Baratheon was the last surviving member of the cadet branch of House Baratheon, and was a very old man by the outbreak of the war. He had served as a skilled negotiator for Robert at Storm's End, and the new king saw no reason why his kinsmen should not carry on in his duties in King's Landing. With the ascension of House Baratheon to the throne, the now-Prince Herbert was responsible for overseeing the laws of the realm, and to ensure justice was served wherever necessary.

AvmyWr5.png

Lord Qarlton Chelsted, Master of Coin. Qarlton Chelsted was one of the three remaining members of the Mad King's Small Council to retain his seat, though admittedly he was absent from the Small Council during the closing months of the war. Qarlton served as both Master of Coin and Hand of the King, and his experience in the council was a valuable asset to the new king. Having objected to the cruelty of the Mad King, Qarlton left the Small Council when Aerys revealed his plans to burn the city to the ground. Luckily, it never came to that, and now the crownlander lord served a new king, one whom he could prove more deserving of his services.

WzKrSWg.png

Lord Commander Nestor Royce, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Noted for his strength and valor in leading the Valemen armies during the rebellion, Nestor Royce was granted the first seat on Robert Baratheon's Kingsguard, and was promptly declared Lord Commander. As such, Nestor now held a seat on the Small Council, and though it was largely a superfluous one, the Lord Commander's advice was still valued, when it was given.

nVMTv9m.png

Lord Lucerys Velaryon, Master of Ships. The Master of Ships was responsible for overseeing the Royal Fleet of the Iron Throne, and ensuring the crown's navy was fully functional and ready to be put into service whenever necessary. Very little naval combat occurred during the rebellion, and so most of the fleets of Westeros remained in tact. For three hundred years, the position was almost entirely held by a member of House Velaryon, and Robert Baratheon decreed that Lord Lucerys would keep his seat. Known for their loyalty to the Targaryens, keeping House Velaryon appeased was a small step towards total consolidation of the Seven Kingdoms.

SkZUV28.png

Lord Varys, Master of Whisperers. Though not a lord in actuality, Varys as referred to as such by almost all men who knew of him, a fact that spoke volumes of the man. There wasn't a corner of the known world that the Spider's little birds could not reach, and though he had served the Mad King, such a valuable asset could not be thrown aside. Lord Varys kept his seat on the Small Council, and was responsible for all of the intelligence of the Iron Throne, a task he was more than suited for.

Ual3M8c.png

Grand Maester Agrivane, Grand Maester of the Citadel. With the passing of the elderly Grand Maester Pycelle, Grand Maester Agrivane was selected to succeed him and take up his seat on the Small Council. A humble, yet rather arbitrary man, Grand Maester Agrivane would serve as one of Robert Baratheon's chief advisors, namely in the areas of lore and wisdom. Few men would know more about the histories of Westeros than the Grand Maester, and unless Robert wanted to doom himself to repeat the past, he would do well to heed his advice.

ss6jDDN.png

Septon Andren, Master of the Faith. With the crushing of the Targaryen dynasty imminent, the High Septon of the Faith saw fit to back Robert Baratheon's cause, as the gods deemed it righteous. With the conclusion of the conflict, the High Septon demanded reward for the Faith's loyalty to the new king, and when Robert would pay no money, it was decided that a new seat on the Small Council would be established. Septon Andren would serve as the newly-formed Master of the Faith, a representative of the High Septon's choosing, to serve as a voice of the Faith in all matters concerning the realm.

RYaiXJd.png

Ser Kevan Lannister. Tywin Lannister had remained neutral at the outbreak of the war, and apart from Balon Greyjoy, was the only lord to do so. He had every right to remain neutral, as his eldest son Jaime was serving on Aerys' Kingsguard. However, the marriage of Stannis Baratheon and his daughter Cersei brought the Lannisters into the fold. Putting his soldiers on the frontlines, and even losing his own son, Tywin Lannister felt aggrieved when he was not given a seat on the Small Council. Hearing his good-father's concerns, Stannis Baratheon came up with a compromise. A representative of House Lannister would be granted an ancillary seat on the Small Council, as reward for their service. Tywin Lannister selected his brother, Ser Kevan, a man who was just as sharp and potent with his words as the Warden of the West.

l220lhb.png

Ser Baelor Hightower. While Stannis Baratheon offered the Lannisters a seat on the Small Council as a reward, he too offered both the Reach and Dorne a seat, as a means of consolidation, to ensure lasting peace. Though enemies in the war, the Reachmen and the Dornish were vital in ensuring long lasting peace, and so their voices needed to be heard. With the death of Mace Tyrell during the war, there were few choices for House Tyrell to select as their representative. Lady Olenna Redwyne was suggested, but the Queen of Thorns would not be separated from her grandson. Instead, the heir to Oldtown, Baelor Hightower, was chosen to represent the Reach.

v71wEJL.png

Prince Oberyn Martell. As the Reach was granted a seat on the Small Council, so too was Dorne. Doran Martell could not serve in this role himself, as he had to govern over his own lands, and so he granted the seat to his brother, Prince Oberyn. The Red Viper, as he was known, was a shrews diplomat, a skilled warrior, and overall mysterious man. He was known for his affinity for poisons, and for being the father of four bastard daughters, with multiple women. He knew his way around the bedchamber, but also around the court, and was staunchly loyal to his brother. Dealing with the forked tongue of the viper would be a difficult task for Robert, but it was necessary to ensure the allegiance of Dorne.

gDgHzD2.png

A Small Council had been chosen, a Kingsguard selected, and now only one task remained at hand, to ensure the immediate future of the realm. Aerys Targaryen, his son Prince Rhaegar, and his children Aegon and Rhaenys were all in Robert's custody, awaiting their fates. Not only were the Targaryens in the king's custody, but so too were the Stormlords who had sided with them in the war. Lords Lucas Fell, Bryen Cafferen and Hendrick Grandison were all locked away, awaiting their punishments as well. Though they had been caught during the battles fought in the war, Lords Jon Connington and Barristan Hasty had managed to evade capture, and had returned to their keeps. Those currently imprisoned were sentenced to join the Night's Watch, though Lord Grandison perished in the dungeons before he could ever depart the city. As the new Lord of the Stormlands, Robert tasked his brother, Stannis, with bringing Lords Jon and Barristan to justice. They could surrender peacefully, or face the forces of the crown in battle. As expected, the two lords rebelled, and Stannis was sent south to deal with them swiftly.

tB5VrEx.png

"What is to be done with the Targaryens?" Asked the King's new Hand.

Robert thought about his answer for a moment. "Rhaegar and the Mad King must die for their crimes, there is no other way." The Small Council all muttered in agreement. What Robert said next shocked even himself. "Lord Commander, take them out to the courtyard first thing in the morning and see they are dealt with. Make sure no one is present, they might be monsters but they still deserve clean deaths. Burn their bodies when you're done with them." Nestor Royce nodded.

"And what of the children?" Asked Lord Jon. Robert had made no mention of his plans for Aegon and Rhaenys, and had not thought of them until now.

"Lord Lucerys." He said, the words jolting the Master of Ships upright. "Get me a ship ready for tomorrow morning. Jon, you will accompany Princess Elia and her children across the Narrow Sea. I don't care where and I don't care to know when I get back. They can find Viserys if they so choose, or they can seek shelter with some Pentoshi lord. Get them out of the Seven Kingdoms tomorrow morning. I will not stain my hands with the blood of innocent children, I will not charge them for the crimes of their father and grandfather."

Most of the Small Council smiled at the King's words, none more so than Lucerys Velaryon. A loyal friend to the Targaryens, he had expected them all to be put to the sword, but was glad to see it would not be so. Robert had commanded him to secure the ship, but he was to send Lord Jon in his stead. Even with the rebellion over, Robert needed someone he trusted to take that voyage, and there were none he trusted more than his Hand. Jon Arryn would depart in the morning, and would likely return in less than two weeks time. The Targaryens would be free to live out their lives in Essos, but should they come of age and decide to cross the Narrow Sea, they would be dealt with accordingly.

vVKxIFP.png

With all immediate matters dealt with, all that was left was Robert's coronation. Word was sent to the High Septon, asking for his blessing, and as expected, he accepted. The next three moons were spent preparing for the occasion, and all lords and ladies of the Seven Kingdoms were invited to attend. When the day came, the streets of King's Landing were decked in yellow and black, the colors of House Baratheon, and everyone from the lowest to the highest born cheered in the streets. Music was played, songs were sung and poems recited, all to mark the historic coronation of the first Baratheon king. The Crowned Stag. At the steps to the Great Sept of Baelor, the High Septon stood before Robert Baratheon, placed the crown upon his head, and said the words.

36llFk7.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting. Are you playing with the R+L=J submod? Should be important once the Tower of Joy events fire.

I have a feeling exiling the Targaryeans will come back to haunt him. But as someone said in the books, Robert saw himself as the hero in a song, and heroes don't murder children.

Roflmao @ Stannis and Cersei. That's a fun couple.

Interesting. Are you playing with the R+L=J submod? Should be important once the Tower of Joy events fire.

I have a feeling exiling the Targaryeans will come back to haunt him. But as someone said in the books, Robert saw himself as the hero in a song, and heroes don't murder children.

Roflmao @ Stannis and Cersei. That's a fun couple.

I am not using the R+L=J submod, no. I thought about it, but at the end of the day I didn't feel it would add all that much, and might only cause issues between two close friends, which I didn't really want. Plus...
When Lyanna is returned to me, she isn't pregnant, so the whole situation is avoided.

Yeah, I'm aware that Targaryen hosts might pop up from time to time, but I decided to make my Robert the Robert he always should have been. Losing Lyanna broke him, and that's not going to happen to me.

Personally I always thought he would have been dissapointed. Lyanna was not remotely as into him. I personally believe she ran off with Rheagar to avoid being stuck with a man she didn't respect, who would just get bored of her. Much as I love Big Bobby B, he's an overgrown child.

I think that the outcome here is reasonable: Robert doesn't know whether or not Lyanna is alive or dead, so her death hasn't traumatized him into an unholy, insane grudge against the entirety of the Targaryens. Letting the children go before he knows whether or not Lyanna is dead is perfectly in character for him. He'll probably be really pissed if she ends up dead and the Targaryens are out of his reach, though.

Personally I always thought he would have been dissapointed. Lyanna was not remotely as into him. I personally believe she ran off with Rheagar to avoid being stuck with a man she didn't respect, who would just get bored of her. Much as I love Big Bobby B, he's an overgrown child.

I think that the outcome here is reasonable: Robert doesn't know whether or not Lyanna is alive or dead, so her death hasn't traumatized him into an unholy, insane grudge against the entirety of the Targaryens. Letting the children go before he knows whether or not Lyanna is dead is perfectly in character for him. He'll probably be really pissed if she ends up dead and the Targaryens are out of his reach, though.

Very true, it's very in character for him to make a generous snap decision.

Not to mention the fact that Robert isn't really aware of whether or not Lyanna likes him or not. Robert's not thinking, 'well, she doesn't love me, I'll leave her alone', he's thinking 'I love this woman, we're supposed to be married, I'm getting her back.' Maybe when Lyanna returns, he'll learn the truth, and he'll descend into his book-ways regardless.

Considering that there's always the possibility for Lyanna and Robert to fall in love post-war (at least in game terms), a happy-ish ending isn't too far off. Hell, as much as book Robert is berated for his idealized view of Lyanna, Robert Baratheon did raise all Hell and destroy a ruling family to get Lyanna back. That isn't the behavior of just some rampant womanizer who couldn't care less about what woman is in his bed: could be that Lyanna would find that, perhaps, she had rushed to judgement on Robert. Hell, Robert was just a young man, after all, and Lyanna a young woman. Youthful exuberance on his part and quick judgement on hers could lead to a lot of mistaken assumptions.

I take your point. But to play devil's advocate (or Great Other's Master of Laws, I suppose) Robert's Rebellion was sparked as much by the Mad King's order to execute the man himself as anything. Even if he hadn't liked Lyanna at all, he would have taken up arms for the sake of his own life. Also, his view of the situation was premised on the idea of Lyanna as the victim of a kidnapping and rape. There's no conclusive evidence either way, but I maintain the likely scenario is that she ran off of her own accord. How would Robert take that sort of rejection?

Now, there is a counter argument to my own argument. Being consumed by a passion for a woman with an independent character and strong will might be extremely good for Robert. Rather than chasing awestruck commoners and swooning maids, having to actually earn a woman's respect might give him the vital nudge to grow up just enough. Robert needs someone to call him on his childish and reckless behavior, which he himself acknowledged. That's why he had first Jon Arryn and then Ned Stark as hand. Having a wife who could fill that role (instead of a shrill and manipulative monster) could make him a better king and/or man.

subbed!

Can I expect a Crowned Wolves in the future to finish your Crowned Trilogy?

Honestly? Yes, though you spoiled the surprise. :D