• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MattSR30

Captain
1 Badges
Aug 8, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
THE CROWNED DRAGONS

house_targaryen_sigil_by_clockhound-d6igay5.png

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Prologue - 300 AL

Part I: King Aegon Targaryen, Sixth of His Name (300 AL - 321 AL)
Chapter I - Good Fortunes
Chapter II - The Sandstorm
Chapter III - The Last Days of War
Chapter IV - The First Days of Peace
Chapter V - The Trials
Chapter VI - Seven Kingdoms
Chapter VII - A Golden Lion and A Golden Rose
Chapter VIII - Changing Relations
Chapter IX - A Kraken out of Water
Chapter X - The Pale Mare

Chapter XI - Securing the Future
Chapter XII - The Lord Commander

Interlude - 321 AL

Part II: King Rhaegar Targaryen, First of His Name (321 AL - 336 AL)
Chapter XIII - Preparing Prongs
Chapter XIV - The Harry of Harlaw
Chapter XV - The Vain
Chapter XVI - An Emboldened Lion
Chapter XVII - Two Sides of a Coin
Chapter XVIII - A Falcon Soars
Chapter XIX - A Myriad of Decisions

Interlude - 336 AL

Part III: King Aemond Targaryen, First of His Name (336 AL -)
Chapter XX - The Laughing Dragon
Chapter XXI - The Seventh Point
Chapter XXII - The Hand's Plan
Chapter XXIII - A Coming of Age
Chapter XXIV - The Captain of the Guard
Chapter XXV - Duskendale
Chapter XXVI - The Masters' Gift
Chapter XXVII - Glass and Stone
Chapter XXVIII - The Royal Tour
Chapter XXIX - The Last Flight of the Falcon

Chapter XXX - A Nameday to Remember
Chapter XXXI - A Step Towards Greatness
Chapter XXXII - A Storm is Coming
Chapter XXXIII - The Sunset War (pt. I)
Chapter XXXIV - The Sunset War (pt. II)
Chapter XXXV - A Time to Rejoice
Chapter XXXVI - A Princely Affair
Chapter XXXVII - White Stained Red
Chapter XXXVIII - Rise and Fall
Chapter XXXIX - A Roost No More

Chapter XL - Give No Quarter
Chapter XLI -

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
PROLOGUE

Many years ago, my great-great-grandfather was told to, "kill the boy and let the man be born."

My councilors, though few in number, had advised me to make for the East, to seek out the court of my aunt in Meereen. They were of the opinion that I should present myself to her, offer her my hand in marriage, and together cross the Narrow Sea to reclaim the throne from the Usurper's heirs. Though a well-thought plan, that is what a boy would do. "Kill the boy and let the man be born." A boy follows orders, a man gives them.

Why should I crawl on my knees to my aunt, when the claim on the throne is mine and mine alone? The Breaker of Chains is what they call her now. Mhysa. Stormborn. The Mother of Dragons. All fancy titles for a woman with as much a claim to the throne as my kinsman at the Wall. They say the smallfolk mocked my uncle by calling him the Beggar King. I am not a beggar. If my aunt wants to look upon the Iron Throne, then let her do so when I sit upon it. Let her swear fealty to me. Then, and only then, will I have words with her and her dragons. Perhaps Aegon the boy would have listened to his councilors, but Aegon the man was a different person. The man would not bow before a pretender, even one of his own blood.

Only one had told me the truth, only one had told me what I needed to hear. When I met him he was Yollo, after that, Hugor. In truth, he was Tyrion Lannister, known as the Imp to most. The Lannister lord reminded me that a king does not crawl, a king does not beg. He showed me the faults of my council's plan to wed me to my aunt, and showed me the only true path before me. I had to act, and I had to act now. The quarreling of the pretenders would provide the perfect opportunity to land my army in Westeros, to reclaim my grandfather's throne. The Stormlands in particular were ripe for the taking. Stannis Baratheon was in the North, defending the realm from a threat that has been dead for thousands of years. His lands were defenseless, and would provide the perfect platform to reclaim the throne from.

As the fleet approached Cape Wrath in the Stormlands, it became more and more evident that the boy was well and truly dead. In his place stood a man, soon to be king. Aegon Targaryen he was called, sixth of his name; and with ten thousands of the finest sellswords alive at his back, the Seven Kingdoms would once more be brought to heel before a Targaryen king.

A3XIXxYcedc.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
CHAPTER I - GOOD FORTUNES

It was early April when my forces made landfall in Westeros. When sailing past Lys, a freak storm separated our fleet and our landing party. My forces, numbering less than two thousand, landed near Rain House and quickly secured it as a base of operation for our invasion of the Stormlands. My remaining forces, separated into three other fragments, landed at Crow's Nest, Rainwood and Estermont. It wasn't long before the army was reunited and at full strength, and not long after that, we marched on Griffin's Roost, the rightful seat of my Hand, Lord Connington.

With the Lord of Griffin's Roost, Red Ronnet Connington, away fighting in the Riverlands, the keep was easy enough to secure. Jon noted his relief at avoiding spilling the blood of his own kin, though Red Ronnet's two siblings were secured as hostages, as to ensure no retaliation. My councilors made it known that they thought it best for me to stay at camp in Griffin's Roost, under the watch of Marq Mandrake and some fifteen hundred men of the Golden Company. What kind of man, a king no less, would I be if I couldn't fight and win my own wars? No, I would be the one to lead our forces to victory.

Little over a month after landing, and not weeks after taking Griffin's Roost, a slew of messenger ravens were coming and going from the keep, bringing word from every corner of Westeros in which I had allies, and even from those in which I thought I had none. From Sunspear, Prince Doran Martell, my grandfather, sent word that he had not forgotten the events of the rebellion twenty years past, and that Dorne was at my disposal. It was believed that during the sack of King's Landing, Tywin Lannister's men, namely Ser Gregor Clegane, had crushed the skulls of me and my sister Rhaenys, before turning towards our mother, and Prince Doran's daughter. By all accounts, the Dornish had never forgiven the Lannisters for their crimes, and only recently had Oberyn Martell gained justice against the Mountain, at the expense of his own life. The news was most welcome at camp, serving to only bolster the morale of the already unwavering knights of the Golden Company.

dYOXpM4.png

Less than a day separated the arrival of the raven from Sunspear and the arrival of one from the capital, bearing news of King Tommen's demise. Though no official word as to the cause was mentioned, it was assumed by most to be murder. No boy of his age could die of any natural cause, and any sign or mention of disease would have the entire capital in a panic. Murder it was, and though I did not know who, I was fortunate that it wasn't myself that had to put down the cub. The death of Tommen Lannister - though I bear no love for the Baratheons, it would be false to name him one - allowed the crown to pass to his last surviving sibling, Myrcella. The boy-king's death also allowed the Queen Regent to finally rid herself of Margaery Tyrell. The rose proved to much of a thorn in the backside of the lioness, and with no further children to wed, Cersei had no further use for her.

Mace Tyrell did not take kindly to the expulsion of his daughter from court, and in a turn of events even more shocking to me than Tommen's death, he turned to me instead. He offered me Margaery's hand in marriage, and the full support of the Reach in my effort to reclaim the throne. Though this was no doubt partly born from Lord Mace's resentment of the Queen Regent, and also from his Lordship's need to rid the Reach of the Ironborn raiders plaguing his shores; the marriage would bring some forty thousand men to our side, and the larges stores of food in the entire kingdom. The decision was an obvious one. Though Euron Greyjoy was a shrewd man, it was unlikely that the King of the Iron Islands would be able to outfight the armies of the Reach, should the fighting push inland. This allowed me to pledge full support to repelling the Ironborn, without having to turn men away from claiming the Stormlands. The full support of the Reach with very little effort on my own part? Though the Tyrells were powerful allies, Lord Mace was already living up to his reputation as a less-than-stellar ruler.

CgJgGML.png

Less than two months into the war effort, the situation had already improved tenfold, and only continued to do so. Lady Margaery and her brothers were riding to the Stormlands in preparation for the wedding, and news reached the camp that two of the missing Stark children had been found. Rickon and Sansa Stark were both revealed to be under the protection of a lordship. Rickon was found under the protection of the Manderlys of White Harbor, while Sansa Stark had been posing as the bastard daughter of Petyr Baelish, and had now been wed to Harrold Arryn, the likely successor to Robert Arryn should his health fail him. Though the Northern lords were still holding onto the few remaining strands of their independence, it was obvious that most would swear fealty to the crown if it meant the removal of the Boltons and the restoration of the Starks. Placing Rickon on the seat of Winterfell, and ensuring Sansa Stark's safety, would go a long way to ensuring the loyalty of the Northern lords in years to come.

yG9Phep.png

My wedding to Lady Margaery was concluded only a short few weeks later, and with that matter of business seen to, it was time to return our attention back on the Stormlands. Only two months had passed since our landing, yet it was already clear that many of the Stormlords were not fond of their liege lord. A handful began renouncing their oaths to Stannis, and more were surely to follow. Before long, Stannis' foothold in the Stormlands would be virtually nonexistent, and the seizing of his lands a far easier task because of it. I had my army split into three contingents of three thousand men each. Lord Jon would lead one party to claim Rainwood, while Captain-General Harry would secure Blue Grove. I led the remaining men to Crow's Nest. With those three holdings under our control, Shipbreaker Bay would be ours and the Stormlands would have little left to do but submit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well done for starting yet another AAR, despite the others dying in some way. :) Aegon is starting out well at least. With Dorne and the Reach on side. (Poor Tommen.) Taking the world's most uncomftable chair is a real posibility.

Hell, taking the chair is a real possibility even without The Reach. With the Reach it seems like it'll be a cake walk, if Mace manages to not fuck up against the Iron Islanders, that is (always a risk that the AI will bugger it up). Hell, even Marg's AI's tendency to have affairs should be easily tamped down by how well this marriage should go. Hell, after being married to Renly, Joff and Tommen I imagine the love event won't be too hard to come by for Aegon.

Speaking of, Jesus Christ, Marg's gotta be feeling pretty frustrated over having been widowed three times in one year at this point.

Now the only thing you have to worry about is having non-white haired heirs!

Well done for starting yet another AAR, despite the others dying in some way. :) Aegon is starting out well at least. With Dorne and the Reach on side. (Poor Tommen.) Taking the world's most uncomftable chair is a real posibility.

For Aegon, I think Tommen's death is most welcome. His family did some horrible things to Aegon. For me, I can't say I feel the same way. I've got a soft spot for Tommen. He's one of the few, (if any), characters that is innocent. He's just a boy. If Tywin had lived and if Cersei wasn't around, I feel he'd make for a fantastic king. That's part of the reason why I loved the 'Little Cub AAR', because it's what I imagined Tommen could be.

Hell, taking the chair is a real possibility even without The Reach. With the Reach it seems like it'll be a cake walk, if Mace manages to not fuck up against the Iron Islanders, that is (always a risk that the AI will bugger it up). Hell, even Marg's AI's tendency to have affairs should be easily tamped down by how well this marriage should go. Hell, after being married to Renly, Joff and Tommen I imagine the love event won't be too hard to come by for Aegon.

Speaking of, Jesus Christ, Marg's gotta be feeling pretty frustrated over having been widowed three times in one year at this point.

Now the only thing you have to worry about is having non-white haired heirs!

Luckily for me, I don't think Mace will be leading the fight against the Ironborn, there are plently of more competent men for the job. As for Margaery, I agree. I had it in the back of my mind, 'King number four', when I got the letter from Mace. I'm keeping it in my mind to possibly work it in, should she become an unlikeable character. 'The Queen for Sale' or something to that effect.

And I am absolutely worried my children won't turn out White-haired and purple-eyed. Can't have a bunch of brunette Aegons and Rhaegars running around!

Nice, a good start on what promises to be a great AAR.:)

"And I am absolutely worried my children won't turn out White-haired and purple-eyed. Can't have a bunch of brunette Aegons and Rhaegars running around!"

If there is one thing the Targaryens need its some non-Valyrian blood.

CHAPTER II - THE SANDSTORM

It was not long before Stannis' lands soon fell to our forces. There were a few months where we were waiting on reinforcements from our new-found allies, before pressing our assault on Shipbreaker Bay. A contingent of ten thousand swords arrived from Dorne, while none arrived from the Reach. I cannot say I am surprised that Mace Tyrell sent no men to aid us, seeing as he had Euron Greyjoy knocking on his doorstep. After a few coastal raids, the Ironborn had amassed a much larger host- some twenty thousand men- and landed them near the Shield Isles. Led by Balon Greyjoy's brothers, Euron and Victarion, the Ironborn began cutting a swathe throughout the western lands of the Reach. Mace Tyrell's son Willas, now my brother through marriage, led the counter offensive. He mustered the full might of the Reach and marched towards the west. Though we would not be receiving aid from the Tyrells any time soon, my insight was correct in believing that the Reachmen would not need any of my own troops for their war. They could handle the Ironborn on their own.

With a contingent from Dorne now at my disposal, our forces left our camp at the Roost to further take the fight to the Baratheons. While three thousands swords accompanied Lord Jon and another three followed Harry Strickland, the Dornish chose to attach themselves to my own small force, giving me command of some thirteen thousand swords, pikes and mounted knights. Over the coming months we rolled over any remaining opposition we could find in the Stormlands. With Stannis far away, fighting his war in the North, our enemy had lost faith in their liege lord. Within a year, most of the Stormlands had renounced Stannis as their lord, but did not choose to swear fealty to another. As such, the majority of the Stormlander lords became their own autonomous states, albeit for a time. This left only five holdings loyal to Stannis. Our forces quickly secured the Rainwood, Blue Grove and Crow's Nest, while a splinter force from Dorne had already secured Felwood and Poddingfield. This left only the Weeping Tower to the south as Stannis' only loyal holding in the Stormlands.

Hfh9Pft.png

The effectiveness at which my combined forces operated was noted by many over the course of the year. It was not long before the common folk and the soldiers alike started telling tales of our deeds in the Stormlands. Though the man that can be credited with it's creation is unknown to me, the people started calling my force 'the Sandstorm' - A clever play on words referencing the combination of my soldiers in the Stormlands, and our allies from Dorne- and stories were told of how this sandstorm swept over Stannis' lands as if nothing stood in it's path. I wasn't much fond of names and tales of grandeur, but it kept the men in high spirits, and served as a message to the smallfolk of our ability, and that had to count for something, surely.

The following months were spent consolidating our new holdings in the Stormlands. We began the minimal repairs necessary on the few castles we had taken, and began reintroducing some trade and travel to the roads that dotted the land. All there was left to do was claim the Weeping Tower, before setting sail to take Dragonstone, ending Stannis' war in the process. Through my master of coin, I began preparing the hiring of a fleet to take us to my ancestral seat. I would not take many men, as I was certain that the Baratheon forces were severely depleted and there would not be many men holding the castle. Only a few ships were needed, but since the Volantene fleet that had carried us here was long-since gone, a sellsail fleet would have to do.

It was during our preparations for the march south that the greatest news yet met my ears. I had sat for many hours outside of my own quarters, as my lady-wife Margaery endured what sounded to be a most painful labor, though admittedly I was no expert on the matter. For all I know, it could have been one of the more simple childbirths the septas had seen, but to my untrained ears, it sounded worse than the death rattles of the battlefield. After many hours, I finally heard it. Gone were my wife's screams, and in there place was a much softer, a much younger cry. I entered the room to see my dear wife holding holding not only my first born, but my son and heir. The naming was not a difficult task. Growing up, Jon had told me stories of my family, particularly of my own father and grandfather. Though loyal to him and to my family, Lord Jon spoke unfavorably of my grandfather, who in his later years came to be known as Aerys the Mad. The name Aerys would not do. My own father however was held in much higher regard. Considered by many to be a great man and a great Prince, Rhaegar Targaryen was a true successor to the Conqueror. Rhaegar it is, I thought to myself.

7CzNYYE.png

With my wife, and now my heir, safe and secure in Griffin's Roost, my forces pushed south towards the Weeping Tower. My Master of Coin had informed me that a fleet had been purchased and was making its way from across the Narrow Sea, with instruction to make port at the Tower. My ancestor, Daeron 'the Young Dragon' was loved by all, and was famous for finally bringing Dorne to heel over one hundred and fifty years ago. It is said that the holding of the Weeping Tower, and the nearby town of Weeping Town, owe their names to the distraught smallfolk here, who were the first to lay their eyes upon the dead king when he arrived here shortly after falling in Dorne. Though it was clear that many years ago the people here loved my family, they now stood in our way. The tower did not hold out long though, with nothing more than a skeleton crew manning her walls. With the tower taken, my sights turned to Dragonstone. The sellsail fleet had arrived here even before we had taken the tower, and were awaiting us whenever I should choose to make my departure. I had no plans of waiting long, after all, why should I afford Stannis Baratheon that kindness? Within a few days, I had left a skeleton crew of my own on the walls of the Weeping Tower, and set out with some eight thousand men- half of my ever-growing force- to take Dragonstone.

I had been to Dragonstone before, though admittedly I did not remember it. After all, I was born on the island and would have grown up there had the Usurper not stolen the crown and murdered my father. It was a harsh-looking place, not like the lavish palaces of Pentos that Master Illyrio and Lord Jon had shown me in my youth. No, Dragonstone held no secrets of lavishness, it was what it says it was- a seat for a dragon. The castle was poorly defended, and reports from inside the walls said that Stannis nor his family were there. Though I was not surprised to learn that Stannis was elsewhere, I was certain that we would at least find his wife and daughter in the castle. News also reached our camp that the Kingslayer himself had landed on Driftmark with a small force loyal to the crown, no doubt with the intention of harassing my forces should I prove successful in taking the keep.

I had no desire to storm the walls of Dragonstone, and so I chose to lay siege to the keep instead. As my ancestral home, and the seat of the heir apparent to the Iron Throne, Dragonstone was an important castle to me and my ancestors, and I would not assault my own home. The skeletal crew would be starved into submission, and that way, none of my own would need to die either. The siege was going as most sieges do- slowly- when news arrived from Lord Jon in Griffin's Roost. The Lannisters have captured Stannis Baratheon, it is over. Stannis Baratheon was defeated, not by my hand granted, but defeated nonetheless. The news was given to the crew defending Dragonstone, who in a foolish turn of events decided that it was a ruse created by me to take the castle from them. Luckily, for them, some inside their walls were clever enough to realize the folly of their brothers, and the gates were opened regardless. As it happens, less than two hundred men were holding the castle, a small number even for a skeleton force. I allowed the men to leave on their own terms or join my ranks, there was no use in creating enemies where it could be avoided. After all, Stannis' defeat meant only one thing- a clear shot at the throne itself.

JecDxzR.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Now that rather unfortunate, the Lannisters beat you to Stannis. Still, with The Reach on your side, it shouldn't be too much trouble for you to take the Iron Throne without the rest of The Stormlands.

And a brown-haired heir. Aegon the Conqueror is rolling in his grave.

I was sailing up on Dragonstone thinking, 'he has absolutely nowhere left to go, he's mine!', and then it turns out the Lannisters got him somewhere else. So yeah, that sucked. Hopefully the fourty thousand men of the Reach will play their part in the coming war, pretty much the biggest reason for me accepting the marriage, (and those attractive/quick traits of Margaery).

Though Rhaegar will have brown hair, hopefully he won't grow up to be batshit insane because of it. The white hair and purple eyes didn't exactly work out well for Maegor I, Aerion Brightflame or Aerys II. If I can get a good Targaryen ruler with brown hair, I'll live with it.

A brown haired Targaryen, HERESY!!! Still good traits. Onwards to the world's pointest chair.

A brown haired Targaryen, HERESY!!! Still good traits. Onwards to the world's pointest chair.

Soon, after there are no more little Lannister/Baratheon pricks to get pricked by my prickly chair.

Subbed!

gfx_culture "char ID" high_valyrian

Incase you want silverhaired children

Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood.

Though your marriage is advantageous, it does close the door to a union with the Mother of Dragons. What's the plan if she shows up. Sure, Aegon has a stronger claim. But she has dragons.

(Also I am of the school of thought that ergon, unknown even to himself, is a fraud.)

Though your marriage is advantageous, it does close the door to a union with the Mother of Dragons. What's the plan if she shows up. Sure, Aegon has a stronger claim. But she has dragons.

(Also I am of the school of thought that ergon, unknown even to himself, is a fraud.)

I know it's a typo, but I couldn't help but think of Eragon. :rofl:Ha, another dragonrider showing up would be out of nowhere (and that means there's likely fanfic)

(Big maybe spoilers to asoiaf)
And yes, I too think he is but a farce, a puppet, the mummer's dragon in strings.

And yeah, he's cocky about his chances now (Though he's clearly better on the kids front than the other claimants to the stabby throne). But three big dragons are going to be a bit more than a minor problem for anyone at this point if they show up.

Wow, Tommen taken out that fast though. Sheesh, bit harsh there. And by who?

Autocorrect prefers to turn Aegon into Argon, but will somehow settle for Ergon.

Why thank you, kind sir!

gfx_culture "char ID" high_valyrian

Incase you want silverhaired children

Wow, that's useful information. I might just do this, at least for the first generation of children. Thanks.

I know most people who do this scenario opt for a wedding to Daenerys, but I tried to clear that up in my prologue. Though in the books, should Aegon win, he might wed Daenerys, Tyrion really makes it known that he's not to go sniveling to his aunt, and so I didn't. If she wants anything, she has to come to me, dragons or not.

I know it's a typo, but I couldn't help but think of Eragon. :rofl:Ha, another dragonrider showing up would be out of nowhere (and that means there's likely fanfic)

(Big maybe spoilers to asoiaf)
And yes, I too think he is but a farce, a puppet, the mummer's dragon in strings.

And yeah, he's cocky about his chances now (Though he's clearly better on the kids front than the other claimants to the stabby throne). But three big dragons are going to be a bit more than a minor problem for anyone at this point if they show up.

Wow, Tommen taken out that fast though. Sheesh, bit harsh there. And by who?

Although the writer of this AAR in me would say, "blasphemy, this is the true Aegon!", I too believe it's not him. There's some good evidence to suggest that it is him, but one thing I could never wrap my head around was why/how Aegon got out, but Rhaenys did not. Seems like the two of them would both have been rescued.

The dragons will only prove a problem A- If Dany decides that loyalty to her nephew is not on the cards, and B- If she ever even decides to leave Slaver's Bay.

Lastly, that too is a question I've been pondering. It doesn't say who murdered Tommen, so they clearly did a good job, but I'm still searching. I've got Lannisters marked as special interest, and every once in a while I check up on who despises them, or who loves me, for an idea. No answers yet. The writer in me purely wants to know just so that I know. The Aegon in me wants to know who killed his enemy, but he's not certain if he should thank them, or punish them for murdering a boy.

CHAPTER III - THE LAST DAYS OF WAR

As I had anticipated, our first encounter of the war with the Iron Throne took place on the island of Driftmark. After securing Dragonstone, the most reasonable course of action was to sail to Driftmark and defeat Jamie Lannister's much smaller force. I had hoped that in doing so, I'd be able to capture the Kingslayer, so that he could both answer for his crimes and be used as leverage against his family. The fighting went as expected, with my force easily dispatching the royal host. Having suffered no losses in the taking of Dragonstone, I had nearly nine thousand men at my disposal, a far superior force to the Kingslayer's three. What was unexpected was my encounter with the Kingslayer on the field of battle.

I was leading my own vanguard, and even with one hand, the Kingslayer led his own. Lord Jon had told me tales of the skill of Jaime Lannister, even at a young age. Before the rebellion, Jaime was only a boy of ten and seven, yet was still heralded as one of the finest knights in the Seven Kingdoms. After all, he was a member of the Kingsguard, and the youngest ever at that. From my conversations with the Spider, Lord Varys, I learned that over the next twenty years Jaime Lannister grew to be considered the greatest swordsman in Westeros, perhaps ever, though apparently the Kingslayer himself claimed second best, behind only his mentor, Arthur Dayne. Even with the loss of his sword hand, Jaime Lannister was still a formidable warrior, and so when the time came, and I stared at him in the thick of battle, I challenged him. What kind of leader would I be if I did not?

Though I dare not admit it to my men or my lords, I am glad the fight turned out the way it did. I have been raised since birth to be a king, to be a battlefield commander, but the stories of the Kingslayer's prowess were not exaggerated. For the duration of the fight, the oathbreaker bested me, and to think he was using his weaker hand. Had it not been for the progression of the battle that surrounded us, I fear that my claim to the throne might have ended that day, along with my life. Luckily, my forces were crushing the royal host, and in the process of routing, the Kingslayer was dragged away from our fight so that he might evade capture by our hands. As a result, and as shameful as it is to admit, my life was spared. Victory was ours, and Jaime Lannister was sent scurring back to the capital to lick his wounds. I was knighted on the battlefield that day, for my supposed victory over the Kingslayer in personal combat. If they but knew the truth.

CzcHITQ.png

Had circumstances been different, Dragonstone would have served as the perfect platform to launch an assault on the capital from, but I had not the men with me. The battle with the Kingslayer had left me with a thousand wounded men, and near five hundred dead. We set sail for the Stormlands, to regroup with the other half of my army, before marching north to claim King's Landing. Upon arrival in Shipbreaker Bay, I was greeted with welcome news. Euron Grejoy had been pushed from the Reach by Willas Tyrell. Though Mace had died of illness in that period, Willas was now left as the Lord of Highgarden, and a far more capable one at that. He sent word that the armies of the Reach were marching east to fight at our side. Welcome news indeed.

I was also greeted by my wife Margaery, my son Rhaegar and, so too my daughter. There was a part of me that feared that I was not the father, but upon sighting the child's silver hair and purple eyes, I knew that my worries were unfounded. Before my marriage to Margaery, they told me of the girl's many talents, most notably her ability to be loved. They say she was more like her grandmother than her father in that regard, and I was starting to see why. In my absence, she had the aptitude to name our daughter Rhaenys, in honor of my deceased sister. The gesture warmed my heart. She will make a great queen.

cOT0vvu.png

I arrived back in the Stormlands to find that a number of royal hosts had marched in to the lands I had taken. I rendezvoused with a Dornish host and marched on the nearest host from the throne, who had taken up a position at Antlercliff. Reports told that Antlercliff was being held by twelve thousand men loyal to the crown, and were being led by a knight of the Kingsguard, and not just any knight at that. Loras Tyrell, my brother by marriage, was said to be leading the host. My force of eight thousand men, bolstered by some ten thousand Dornishmen, engaged Ser Loras at Antlercliff, winning a decisive victory. It was said that Ser Loras was a formidable warrior, but perhaps he was harboring thoughts of fighting his own brother-in-law, leading to his army's tepid performance against my own.

Though victory at Antlercliff came easily, I suffered my first defeat of the war not long after. Lady Senelle Swygert, leading a force of Stormlander loyalists, combined with Ser Loras' defeated force and returned to face me again. By the time they reached Crow's Nest, my Dornish allies had marched further north into the Crownlands, leaving me with what amounted to roughly five thousand men. A force nearly double our size engaged us, and as hard as we fought, we could not overcome such odds. I sounded the retreat, and at the day's end, three thousand of my men had died at the hands of Lady Senelle, and the Lord Commander of my Kingsguard, Ser Rolly Duck, was taken prisoner. However, as war oft does, a chance was provided to us shortly thereafter to avenge the defeat.

Harry Strickland and the remaining Golden Company had mustered up some support in the Stormlands, and an army of ten thousand men were soon at my side once more. Though some might have viewed it as foolish to engage Lady Senelle and Ser Loras so soon after the defeat, these men were fresh, while those of our enemy were not. Ten thousand of my men engaged nearly ten thousand of theirs, and though the fighting was even at first, the fatigue soon set in. My forces, still fresh, began carving a bloody path through the royal host, and before long, the enemy routed. In the span of a few weeks, our forces had met three times, and at the end of it all, it was our men that emerged victorious.

utJcM9H.png

With Loras Tyrell and his allies pushed out of the Stormlands, our path towards the capital was clear. The Golden Company had suffered some losses, and the ten thousand men I brought with me over two years ago numbered now only little more than seven thousand. Still, they remained loyal to my cause, a loyalty that I would not soon forget. With support growing in the Stormlands for our cause, we were joined in our march by a few thousand Stormlanders, and twenty thousand Dornishmen were now only a few days march behind us. It would take a considerable army of loyalists to halt out advance towards King's Landing.

To the west, our allies from Highgarden were contributing greatly to the war effort. Willas Tyrell, proving himself to be a staunch ally and supreme commander, was holding the might of Casterly Rock at bay, allowing my own forces a clear path towards the throne. Though fatigued from war with the Ironborn, the Reachmen fought on regardless. Willas Tyrell was no doubt attempting to undo the image his bumbling father had garnered fort their house. Our fortunes grew even further when news reached us that the three northern regions- the Riverlands, the Vale and the North- would not be sending men to aid the crown. The alliance between the Starks and Tullys had been strong for decades now, and as they bore no love for the Lannisters, it came as no surprise that they would not aid them in their war.

Though part of me had wanted to scale the walls of King's Landing and take the capital for my own, I knew that the way events unfolded was best for the realm. Willas Tyrell pushed the Lannister armies deep into the Westerlands, and began circling east to march on King's Landing. With thirty thousand men marching from the east, and thirty thousand from the south, Queen Myrcella, though still a girl, made the smartest decision she could possibly make in her situation. To the glorious Lord Aegon, her letter read, From this day henceforth, you shall be recognized as the trueborn son and heir of Rhaegar Targaryen and Elia Martell, and rightful king of Westeros. By the decree of Myrcella of the House Baratheon, all forces loyal to the Iron Throne are to stand down, renounce their loyalties to the crown, and swear fealty to you, the rightful king of the Seven Kingdoms. The letter was signed by the girl herself, and marked with her official seal. After many long years of fighting, the war was finally over.

c3t0Z6o.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: