• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Righteous in Wrath
Righteous in Wrath

upload_2018-7-29_1-33-11.png

The North in its entirety; The Hornwood and the lord's keep sits at the beginning of the Broken Branch

The army had crossed the Weeping Water and continued south until they came along the outskirts of the Hornwood. Though not as domineering as the Wolfswood, the Hornwood and the rough hills that it covered had its own reputation. Hornwood – the great keep of the eponymous House – was not a mighty citadel on par with the Dreadfort or Winterfell, but it was still an impressive lordship. With the army making good time in its march, Lord Bolton had decided that they should pass close to the keep, to stay a night. A raven was sent ahead to the steward, to gather the banners of the lord of Hornwood – those that had remained north – to join the Bolton host.

A decade prior, the Lord of the Dreadfort had conquered and subjugated the lord of the Hornwood. In needing the Hornwood’s men Donnel hoped that the steward had not forgotten as much, but Donnel was even more concerned that they remembered all too well.

His fears, in the end, were justified.

Alyn_Spiller_Northland_Keep.JPG

Hornwood (keep), within the Hornwood (wood), of the lordship of Hornwood, ruled by House Hornwood.​

The gates of Hornwood Keep creeped open. Donnel was atop his horse, Heward Linden at his back holding the Bolton banner. To his left rode Brandon Snow, with no banner, and to Donnel’s right was Heward Dirk, a man at his back holding the banner of his House. Heward’s father had been granted Ethering in service to Donnel’s father, and had chosen a field of white, slashed diagonally with black and steel-grey. The Dirk’s were known for their knives, like the Boltons for skinning. It had been suggested by some that Heward’s father had skinned men in honour of Donnel’s father – and so chose Dirk for the name of his House… but to Donnel’s knowing that was just a rumour. The first lord Dirk had been a bold bodyguard, soldier, then commander, and had earned his name fairly.

When the gates were fully opened Donnel spurred his horse forward, followed closely by the other officers. The keep’s courtyard was still and quiet, but beyond the heavy wooden walls Donnel could hear the choruses of his men as they constructed a large camp beneath the Hornwood’s walls.

Greeting them, Donnel observed a large man grown fat, carried on a litter. He had been set down by the gates, on a bed of blankets borne by carrying poles. He had shrewd little eyes in a fattened face, and one leg was raised a foot higher than he was. At seeing the mangled and broken leg – missing all but his heel – Donnel recognised the man. Cellador Hornwood, and no friend to his House.

“Lord Hornwood, I thank you for letting us stay in your home.”

“I’m no lord.” Hornwood’s reply was gruff, as the man propped himself half a foot high on one arm and looked down on the riders. “My nephew went south. You left with him.”

“Lord Harlon is a good man, and still serves our King. And I thank you for letting us stay in Hornwood tonight. We’ll ride again tomorrow.”

“Aye, you shall.” The displeasure in Cellador’s voice was clear enough, even as he observed the most basic modicum of courtesy. “And when you leave you’ll take a few hundred Hornwood men with you, is that it? What are they needed for?”

“The King.” Donnel’s grip tightened on his reins. “When the King calls, we all can only answer.”

The greatest insult however was when Cellador brought out bread and salt for the lords. Donnel took them, making clear that he tasted of both… but they left a sour taste in his mouth. Why observe the rituals of guest right and peace if your intentions were truly as noble?

They spoke some more, and Cellador promised a small feast that evening to welcome his liege lord, before calling for the men attending him to carry his litter back into the keep proper.

“Donnel, what became of the man? That injury…” Brandon leant close to Donnel atop his horse, better to whisper. “I don’t know him.”

“You do. You met once, in the Riverlands. Cellador has changed since.” Donnel gave Brandon a look. “He fought in the war of Salt and River beside his nephew Lord Harlon Hornwood – and before that he fought in Torrhen’s war to free the Riverlands. A brave man, a good commander. During the siege of Rushmoor, Cellador lost his leg in a fight with some Harlaw lordling – never found out who, but ask him the story and he’ll swear to tearing the man’s heart out afterwards. The maiming was too severe, and Cellador can’t even stand anymore, even aided. The few times I’ve met with him – at the Dreadfort or Hornwood – I’ve heard that the wound still weeps… he cannot leave his litter.”
Donnel shook his head. “Peace has made the man bitter.”

“A bitter man. A fattened cripple.” Dirk trotted past the two. “He should welcome his lord better. His nephew knelt, but he thinks that because he can’t kneel he shouldn’t have to.” Brandon threw Dirk a dirty look.

“The man fell in battle; don’t disparage his wound. Be glad that you have not befallen the same fate – or yet fought a man with honour enough to defend the fallen.” And with that, Brandon lifted his chin and rode ahead to the stables.

Dirk sneered, and glanced to Donnel, but Donnel’s face was impassive, and impossible to read.

“He’ll learn as much.” Dirk said as much to himself, as Donnel. “When he meets the man.”

Donnel didn’t answer. He remembered when he had knelt before King Brandon, and when Brandon had allowed the Dreadfort to keep the lordships of both the Hornwood and Widow’s Watch.

He remembered how Harlon had then knelt to Donnel and proclaimed him a lord he’d be happy to kneel to – unlike his father, Lord Rodwell Bolton.

But he also remembered how Cellador had stared from the corner of Winterfell’s hall with eyes that burned hatefully. Cellador has not forgiven Donnel’s father – or any of House Bolton – for his war against the Hornwood.

house_hornwood.png

House Hornwood; Righteous in Wrath

The feast had been no less tense. Brandon had spent much of the evening hoping to charm Cellador, hoping to rouse him with war stories, or inquiring as to the hunts in the Hornwood. Bitterness won out, and each of Brandon’s overtures only soured the steward.

“Fighting and hunting, do you mock me? A man who can no longer stand, do you enjoy berating a cripple?” Brandon lowered his head, perhaps in a graceful show of shame. He did however attract the attentions of Cellador’s son Jory Hornwood, who was willing to talk about the land’s game for quite some time. Beyond Jory, Lady Palla Hornwood – née Locke of Old Castle – smiled and was all too willing to engage the King’s uncle in conversation. Palla was Lord Harlon’s wife, and well-versed in diplomacy. ‘Would that she had received us, and not Cellador’, Donnel thought.

It did not take long however before the talk of hunting began to grate further against the steward, tilting lightly on his bed, before calling out over the evening’s din:

“The game of the Hornwood is quite impressive, thank you Jory. Lord Bolton! How compares the game of the Dreadfort?”

Donnel looked up steadily from his conversation with Heward Linden. The room fell quiet.

“I could not compare my lord. I’ve never hunted in the Hornwood.”

The man in his litter laughed harshly, his leg mounted on cushions on the lord’s table. He took another large gulp of wine from an iron goblet and reached out for another. Donnel noted that he had had several already.

“Well Bolton, what do you do with the game once you’ve caught it?” Linden and Dirk both glanced at Donnel. It tasted of a trap.

“As any huntsman would I expect. Cook them. Make use of their furs. It will all be needed come winter’s fall.”

“I suppose it isn’t flaying, is it, but skinning – if it’s an animal.” Cellador propped himself higher in his litter, attempting a sneer down at Donnel. Donnel didn’t move. “So tell us, those not of the Dreadfort, do you treat your animal skins any differently than your human skins? What do you do with them? Make them too into cloaks?”

Jory Hornwood tried to interrupt his father, but for his efforts the iron goblet was thrown in his direction. Lady Palla gave a small scream, and Cellador tried to sit further up in his bed, his mouth flecked with spittle.

“See, I can imagine that you would bolt your human skins onto the walls, or hang them by hooks. But if I had my way, I’d say the custom should be to have any flayed man hanged by the neck.”

Lord Dirk stood up in a rage, smashing his plate to the side of the table.

“How DARE you Hornwood!” Jory stood too – backing up awkwardly into Brandon Snow who scrambled to his feet in surprise – as much in reaction to Lord Dirk as Cellador’s thinly veiled threat.

DARE I, Dirk? What does the Bolton’s loyal puppy dog have to say to me?” Cellador’s drunk eyes whirled, he leant on one arm and with the other cast around his bed for something unseen – a blade, a goblet? To Donnel’s side, Heward Linden – his bodyguard – came to his own feet, one hand protectively on Donnel’s shoulder, the other buried inside his own cloak.

A dozen other men stood, on every bench and all around the hall, those who had them gripped scabbards and hilts, and Donnel saw that even another word might bring the entire halls to blows. Steel and blood would follow in moments. And even through this, Lord Dirk continued to yell up at the littered lord, and Cellador would spit and howl down at Dirk.

“Lord, come, come now.” Linden leant down to Donnel, “We should move.” His eyes were flitting around the hall. The Bolton officers had been welcomed to the feast but they had not brought their soldiers – the hall was lined instead with Hornwood men, cloaked in orange-and-brown.

Donnel stood. He did not stand slowly with gravitas, but stood upright and suddenly and in anger, eyes burning with fury, smashing another plate off the table as he did so. Eyes turned to stare, Brandon had found his way to Lord Dirk and had a hand on his chest, hoping to calm him. Dirk had chosen to stand indignantly with one hand on his belt, signifying that he may well have drawn steel had it been allowed into the hall.

The hall was quiet, witness only to the furious stare between Cellador and Donnel, breathing the tension and the fear of what came next.

But Donnel turned, and he strode from the hall in silence. Linden immediately followed, hands buried in his cloak (no doubt he had not relinquished quite all his daggers) and stepped ahead, moving to clear a path for his lord. Dirk scoffed, slapped away the hand from Snow, and moved to follow too.

Cellador barked a small laugh from his litter, and with a turn of his white cloak Brandon glared up at the man, anger creasing is wizened features.

“Donnel spoke well of you in the Riverlands. Called you a bold commander. No leader of men would be so dishonourable to his guests.” Cellador only looked down at the King’s uncle.

“His father killed my brother. Now my nephew bends his knee to him. What does honour give a man?”

Brandon looked like he was about to say something else… but he didn’t. He saw the Lady Hornwood, Palla Locke, leave the hall, and followed with a final glare to the steward.

In the corridors leading between the lord’s hall and the exit of Hornwood castle, Lord Dirk had caught up with Lord Bolton.

Righteous in wrath?” Dirk snorted, not bothering to hide either his disdain or anger. “Foolish in wrath perhaps. How dare he insult you so brazenly! The Moose’s uncle is lucky we have a host of Flintmen to slaughter, to so court bloodshed in his own halls!”

Donnel turned, for just a second, and held out a warning finger before Dirk’s face. His eyes burned with no less anger than Dirk’s own, only quieted, like the fury of a frozen waterfall in winter. Only a second, and Donnel turned again, making for the gates. At his coming Hornwood men begin to open them, but before he stepped out into the cold, he felt an arm seize his, and turned to find Palla Hornwood stood between the three of them.

“My lords, please, a moment.” Palla had eyes only for Donnel, looking at him pleadingly. “Forgive my lord’s uncle – or perhaps don’t, but don’t hold his behaviour against my lord husband. Harlon Hornwood is still your man, and has no sour words to say of you, Lord Bolton. With your father excepted, House Hornwood holds no grudge against House Bolton. Harlon keeps to his oaths – he rode south on your command so recently. So please, when you leave the Hornwood and think of its lord, think of your man Harlon, and not his embittered uncle Cellador.”

That was how Brandon found them when he rounded the corner. For a moment longer Donnel stared into Palla’s eyes looking for some glimmer of deceit… and nodded, the faintest trace of a sympathetic smile tugging at his lips.

“I shall, my lady. On my word.”

Palla smiled, and released Donnel’s arm. She stepped back, nodding her head low for each lord in turn as they left the keep – followed behind by Brandon and all the other officers and commanders who had attended the feast under Donnel’s command.

At first light, Donnel was overseeing the Bolton men deconstructing his lord’s tent. The fabric was dyed a light pink, but he couldn’t help imagining it coloured like skin, flapping in the wind. The thought of the early Red Kings who had war-tents made from the flayed skin of their defeated enemies crossed his mind more than once… He shook his head. He had been unable to shake such thoughts all night. They had quite haunted his sleep.

“My Lord Bolton.” Lord Dirk had appeared, and as the tent was pulled down its shadow was too pulled off his frame. “I wish to apologise for my conduct last night. I do not forgive the Maimed Moose his words, but I am present as your vassal and am expected to hold myself with more courtesy. I betrayed that, and that could be an insult on yourself. So, I apologise. Just don’t ask me to apologise to him.”

Many lords would consider Dirk to be too familiar, and not hold enough modesty and respect to his liege lord. A mere apology should not suffice for what should have been a plea for forgiveness from bended knee.
But Donnel and Heward had been through too much together, and Donnel did not begrudge him this bitterness. Palla’s words had soothed Donnel, but he could not shake the hatred of Cellador and his words.

“You’re forgiven Heward. You’ll need to forgive Brandon however, he’ll not understand. He doesn’t know our history, and will not know the feud.”

Brandon and Donnel had grown close during the war in the Riverlands. They had had little interaction before then and Brandon only knew Rodwell Bolton, Donnel’s father, in hearing of his misdeeds from Winterfell. Brandon did not know the politics of the Dreadfort and its lordships as he did those of Winterfell.

Lord Dirk nodded.

“I understand my lord.”

“I know you do. Find your horse, we’re riding out of camp before the main host. Best to put some distance between us and the Hornwood before Cellador attempts any more diplomacy.” Dirk smiled, and left. A moment later Linden appeared having brought Donnel’s horse.

He mounted, and began to trot out of camp. As he did he turned to look back over the keep of Hornwood. Decades may have passed, and alliances made and re-made, new lords come and gone, but still the Dreadfort and its vassals were so shadowed by the ghost of Donnel’s father…

upload_2018-7-29_1-46-45.png

Rodwell the Monstrous earned his nickname in emulation of the fabled Red Kings of old...​

Rodwell the Monstrous had ridden from the Dreadfort and conquered the lands of both the Hornwood and Widow’s Watch. He had subjugated the young lord Harlon Hornwood and driven out all the Flints of Widow’s Watch to grant the land to his own man. Though the Starks had little justified cause to declare Rodwell a traitor outright for such an act, it earned him a lot of disfavour in Winterfell, and was remembered when Rodwell was caught having flayed poachers on his land living.

Brandon Stark had summoned the lords of the North to Winterfell to attend his new coronation and had intended there to reprimand Rodwell publicly for his wars. Rodwell had caused his own stir however when he attended the coronation in a cut wolfskin cloak, but with wolf-pelts that had been dyed freshly red with blood. To this day it was unclear whether this was meant as a sign of open hostility, or just mild provocation. Rodwell was commanded to cease his factionalism, his power-mongering, and reprimanded for his flaying… Rodwell’s reaction was his own, but many lords feared a rebellion to be brewing in the North. The Starks would likely had declared the Boltons all traitors, and threatened another great siege of the Dreadfort, if fate had not intervened first.
Firstly, Brandon Stark had been called south to help defend his friend, the King of the Trident, Deremond Darry the Gallant. Brandon had instead turned his eye away from the Dreadfort and called the banners of the North in preparation to march south.
Secondly, though Rodwell had threatened by and large to refuse his liege’s call to war, he died. A sickness swept through the Dreadfort and Donnel, still a young man, found himself the new lord of the Dreadfort. His first act was to call the Dreadfort’s banners and attend Brandon Stark’s war council at Moat Cailin.

Without a word to anyone present, the new Lord Bolton walked through the gathered lords until he came to where the King was seated and fell to bended knee. From the ground he renounced the disloyalty of his father before explained his father’s passing. Looking up he asked that he might make his lordly oaths of featly then and there, among the war council, and with all the major lords of the North present to witness. Donnel had further had the gall to ask for the honour of command.

While some lords joke that it was then and there that Donnel had earned his known nickname ‘the Daring’, that is an exaggeration. Brandon was so taken aback at Donnel’s impressive display of fealty that he gave Donnel his command and more. When Donnel had won successive victories in the Riverlands and quite earned the nickname ‘the Daring’, Brandon decreed that the Dreadfort may indeed keep the vassalages of the Hornwood and Widow’s Watch.
Donnel had never wavered as Brandon’s man since.

As for flaying… Many noble houses keep a valyrian steel sword. The Starks wielded Ice, the Mormonts held Longclaw.
Donnel knew that in his chamber there was a Bolton banner hanging, and behind it was a single valyrian steel flensing knife. He had used it only a few times, and not once since his father had died. Sometimes he would take it out and look at it, pondering the weight of history in his hand. Would it be turning against the traditions of his House to reject the practice? Would it not be as if for the Starks to hunt direwolves in absurdity? Surely if the Starks ever were to find direwolves still roaming the North, they were more like to adopt the beasts than hunt them.
So should it be so different for a Bolton to flay?
Every time he holds the knife, he puts it back, and again covers it with the banner. It was not his way, and could not imagine what might drive him to such cruelty…

The road west from the Hornwood took the Bolton host to the great river of the White Knife.

“We’ve taken this road before.” Lord Dirk and Brandon both had made up, and rode now with far more contentment than when they had left the Hornwood, at arms. “Save we had Harlon Hornwood beside us, and Jon of Snowgate. Now we ride it again, still with an army at our back, save Jon of Snowgate and Hornwood both are marching north, and been replaced in our number with some King’s uncle. Say, Brandon, have you any men to fight beside us?”

Brandon and Donnel both smiled.

“Nay lord Dirk, no other swords but mine own. Though, I’ll wager that mine is worth another ten wielded by any other man. Let’s hurry to Moat Calin though, best we be the ones to welcome your Jon of Snowgate and the Lord Hornwood. Whatever welcome we can make for them will be greater than any the Flintmen might offer.”

Donnel stopped his horse.

“Our Brandon may have brought no men with him, but I don’t think we’ll be without men of our own.”

Donnel had just seen the river. The army was to wheel around and head south – there was a great bridge that crossed the White Knife. Donnel had also seen the riders by the water. They bore the great banner of House Manderly.

“Manderly knights, or riders at least, come to find us.” Brandon nodded, pleased. “I’ve not seen much of Garris Mollen – that stomach-sickness that kept him out of Hornwood was well-timed – but it seems he’s been sending the right ravens to the lordships we’re passing.”

The riders had little to say. The Manderlys had received Lord Bolton’s raven and though they only speculated on the cause they had gathered their own host. The army of White Harbour – though depleted by the war – waited by the Knife’s Bridge to cross with the Boltons, then they’ll march on Moat Cailin together. The riders had been sent north along the White Knife to find the Bolton’s army.

“The lords Harrion and Mylon Manderly await you to the south, my lord. We’d ask to join you in the march, that we can bring you to them.”

Donnel smiled. Whatever green boys the Flintmen had gathered, they’d stand no chance against the gathered forces of the Boltons and Manderlys combined.

upload_2018-7-29_1-50-32.png

The Knights of House Manderly; though the Lord Duncan Manderly (pictured) was returning north with the King.​

The Knife’s Bridge was no small feat of accomplishment. Only a few days ride north of White Harbour it had been built of the same white stone as New Castle, and carved with mer-people and mer-kings in recognition of the Manderly lords who had commissioned it. It was in its centre that the commanders met. To the east, the Bolton host. Across the bridge, a gathered three-thousand knights and footmen belonging to the lords of White Harbour and their vassals.

“I didn’t know the Manderlys had this many men still left in the North.” Brandon whispered to Donnel.

“Winterfell and Moat Cailin may be emptied, but the other lords of the North are allowed to keep some of their levies behind – so long as they pay their taxes. The Manderlys are strong – near as strong as the Dreadfort.”

"Near as?" Donnel laughed despite himself.

"As."

Brandon craned his neck, counting the tents – all laced in blue and green, or the colours of lesser houses.

“Still. At full strength the Manderlys and Boltons could match the host of Winterfell.” Brandon joked, but was quiet. Two lords approached, both with a bannerman by their sides showing the flag of House Manderly. Behind them, several other riders, gathered lords sworn to White Harbour.

Donnel smiled. He knew both of them. Lord Duncan Manderly ‘the Black Merman’ was married to Donnel’s sister after all. Four sisters, all wed to a different lord. Rodwell had made many mistakes, but strategic marriages were not one of them.
But Duncan Manderly was still south with the King, his brother Halys too. On the bridge opposite them, Donnel had to take a moment to recognise both.

To the left sat Mylon Manderly, Duncan’s other brother and the current steward of White Harbour. To his right, rode who he took to be Harrion Manderly, Duncan’s eldest son and heir. Harrion was a young boy – and Donnel hadn’t seen him in years, hence the moment’s confusion – and still relied heavily on Mylon for advice and guidance. It was told as much, when Harrion glanced to Mylon and only at his nod did he trot his horse forward to welcome Donnel with a big grin across his face.

“Uncle!”

Donnel couldn’t help but grin back. Harrion’s enthusiasm and delight was touching, albeit masking the overeager and nervous nature common to all young lords. He had been that man himself once.

“Nephew! Gods Harrion, last I saw you your sword was wooden! Now you wear a helmet and bare steel like a southron knight! It’s good to see such welcome faces.”

Mylon blinked.

“Trouble on the way here, my lords?”

“Just a hard ride, lord Mylon. How fare you?”

“Well, Lord Bolton.” Mylon bowed slightly in his saddle, exuding the charm and grace of a more practised diplomat, “But I must admit ourselves a little confused.” Harrion had allowed Mylon to trot his own horse until they levelled, then Mylon continued talking. “Your raven bade us gather bring our banners to meet you as the King’s Seneschal. We did so. It came with warnings of Flintmen attacking Moat Cailin, though we’d heard no such reports, only some small run of bandits far to the west.”

“You’re close to Moat Cailin, have you sent riders? Do you have eyes present?”

“A few scouts report occasionally, our most recent rider discovered your Flintmen army, or part of it. Our ravens west go un-returned however. Is the matter so pressing?”

“It is my lords. The King is returning to the North, and expects to march through Moat Cailin presently – we have no clear knowledge of when. Since I presume your scouts have seen nothing of the King’s banner, we have time yet to ensure the pass is unguarded.”

Harrion looked with concern to Mylon, whose practised face betrayed nothing.

“Pressing indeed, Lord Bolton. Though our scouts have not been present recently, I can confirm we’ve seen nothing of the King’s host.”

“Hmm. Inconvenient, Mylon, I’d hoped for a report.” Lord Bolton glanced away in thought. They still had no knowledge of how long they had left to reach Moat Cailin, and if Mylon used the term ‘army’ then their opponents may be greater than just a large raiding party…

“Time enough my lords.” Brandon sat his horse, seemingly comforted by the army that they now commanded. “Moat Cailin is but a few day’s ride – let us press on.”

“Agreed.” Harrion smiled up from his horse. He dressed as a knight, but Donnel doubted he had yet seen a battle. A boy of summer indeed. “We should march now, better to grant the King his crossing. No doubt he’ll show favour on those that are there to greet him.”

Donnel blinked away a smile.

“So young and already seeking glory, Harrion.”

“I heard you were only twenty-two when they named you the Daring in the Riverlands uncle.” And Donnel couldn’t help but smile.

“Indeed. And what shall they call you, Harrion?”

“I’d settle to be Harrion the Hero.” Harrion grinned again. “What say you uncle?”

Donnel laughed, and brought his horse forward. He intended to get another afternoon’s worth of riding and marching done today, but he’d enjoy the company at least.

“I’d say if you are the one to see the King through Moat Cailin, he’d name you so on the spot.”

The sun sank low in the sky and for the eighth day the armies of the Dreadfort and its vassals camped for the night, joined now by that of White Harbour. Lord Mylon Manderly had steered the campaign through Whitford and they were joined by Lord Artos Waterman. Donnel was impressed. Together they had gathered close to 9,000 men – the only force greater than that in the North was marching through the Neck to Moat Cailin under the King’s Banner. Whatever forces the Flintmen had gathered, they would break on the gathered Bolton and Manderly lines.

Donnel had spent much of the ride in the company of Harrion and Mylon Manderly, but now retired to his tent. Stepping through the pink curtain he found a figure waiting for him within.

The Norrey had walked and ridden in equal measure along with the Bolton army, but always seemed to disappear when others sought to look for him. He had spent much of his time with the maesters, always sending and receiving ravens in turn.

He had brought several of his collected letters with him now, curled and twisted on Donnel’s map table.

Donnel paused in seeing the Norrey, before stepping through and letting the heavy curtain fall behind him. The sounds of the camp seemed to fall away in the moment.

“What news?”

The Norrey bowed his head.

“My lords, I’ve been corresponding with several others, hoping to educate myself on this Flint’s Rebellion – given my own lack of knowledge going into it… and I’ve brought what I have now to you, along with what I’ve learned from the Manderlys.”

Donnel shrugged.

“Tomorrow we’ll continue our march, and by midday we’ll have reached Moat Cailin. Whatever you’ve learned will matter little – we’ll solve the intrigue disputes after the battle.”

“Perhaps, but I fear there’s more happening here than any of us can see at present.”

“In what manner?” Donnel sat on a chair and listened to what the Norrey had to say.

“The letters I’ve received have been contradictory. Sometimes the Flintmen are just that – Flintmen with axes and spears. Sometimes they have southern knights or hosts of Dornish spearmen. They seem to be spread out and sometimes everywhere, small parties and bands, then a great host falling upon a keep. First they carry lord’s banners of Spearmouth, the Flint’s Fingers, and Cape Kraken… then none, only grey banners disguised as mercenaries. Likely a great amount of this is exaggeration and possibly boast… but it makes it difficult to know just what we’ll face tomorrow.”

“The lordships you mentioned?”

“Yes, well… Apparently all the vassals of the Flint’s Fingers have thrown themselves behind this ‘Stout host’, along with Spearmouth – but not the Dustins of Barrowtown.”

“Is not Spearmouth sworn to the Dustins?”

“It is. It seems the lord of Spearmouth is in rebellion against her liege lord too. A Lady Melantha Stout. Apparently her daughter is the new lord of all of the Flint’s Fingers.”

“Who is this daughter?”

“A Lady Rowena Stout. By all accounts I’ve received… forgive me, Lord Bolton, by all accounts she is but eight years old.”

Donnel just looked at the Norrey wearily.

“Lord Norrey… I trust your words, and value your counsel.” He paused. “But an eight year old girl does not raise armies, sack keeps, and declare against the King in the North.”

The Norrey nodded, and began pacing back and forth the map table, occasional jabbing a finger down features of the map and at the odd curled letters sprawled across it.

“Yes, yes, I know, that’s why I scarce believe what I’ve received. I’ve heard that lesser lords support various factions, Cayn Clifftower is leading much of it I hear, and the Hayes of Cape Kraken too… but it’s inconsistent and difficult to piece together. I suspect that there is more here, another hand at work, something that ties it all together.”

Donnel frowned.

“Have we received ravens from Barrowton? Spearmouth may have attacked.”

Norrey shook his head.

“No, no ravens. At least, our camp hasn’t received any and, well, ravens can be intercepted.”

“Any word from the Rills? Is it possible that Lord Ryswell is involved?”

Again, Norrey shook his head.

“No, I strongly believe that the army of the Rills is still in the Rills.”

“But you don’t know? Have you lost track of two whole armies Norrey?”

The Norrey turned in anger, his face plain to read, and snapped at Donnel.

“No, I don’t know! Not for sure! I cannot be sure! I can only piece together what I hear, and I have heard no movement from the Rills, and far too much from the Flint’s Fingers! No man can know everything that happens in the North, Lord Bolton, no man can have a thousand eyes and two!”

Donnel raised a hand placatingly, but said nothing, lost in thought. His head fell to his hands, and he ran them through his hair.

“Tomorrow, Lord Norrey. Tomorrow we will reach Moat Cailin and put this nonsense to rest. By midday we will reach the towers.
“When we’ve taken them, we can ensure the safety of the King, and put this mess to bed. There. That is the end of it.”

Donnel stood, and helped the Norrey gather his letters.

“For better or worse, it ends tomorrow.”

Lucias stood and layered another log onto the fire. It crackled and sputtered, the flames reaching up to burn at the dried wood.

Donnel watched him do it, lost in his own story. Lucias still stood over the fire, the bright flames dancing in his icy-pale eyes, and smiled.

“Prophetic words.”

“A prophetic season. So much said and unsaid, coupled with meanings or not. How the gods mock us.” Lucian looked over his shoulder, but Donnel was still watching the fire.

“So what were you hoping for? Brandon to thank you? Raise you again from your knee, ‘Oh Donnel, you hero! Forget Harrion, now it’s Donnel ‘the Hero’.’ Donnel’s eyes snapped up, and Lucias stared for a moment before blinking away.

He walked back to his chair and sat back down, tucking his cloak beneath him.

“What did you expect though?”

“Nothing in truth. Nothing for certain. Norrey’s confusing report left me quite… unsure of things.”

“You trusted him still?”

“Aye. And still do.”

Lucias laughed.

“All his whispers and counselling, and still he had as little clue as what was really going on as you!”

“I don’t blame the man.”

“Blame the man? You were all being played by the most dangerous man north of Harrenhal, and you didn’t even doubt the realm’s master-of-whisperers?”

“I did doubt him for a while. For a long while I wondered about his competence, his loyalty… But he proved them both over and over.”

Donnel fixed Lucias with a stare.

“Hush, boy. Let me continue, and I’ll tell you how…”

Hello. Overdue as ever. I'm starting to wonder if I'm forever being a little bit over-confident.
This is a big update, with a lot of words... but for those of you wondering how much of CK2's mechanics I've slotted into here... not all that much. Some character-building and a lot of setting.
And a lot of love went into this.

The next chapter 'Moat Cailin' will be out as soon as it's ready.
I hope I've set the scene for Brandon's return!

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-29_1-48-57.png
    upload_2018-7-29_1-48-57.png
    181 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The situation does sound rather grim. And that is not counting pompous lordlings

Moat Cailin
Moat Cailin

upload_2019-1-21_14-43-41.png
upload_2019-1-21_14-42-59.png

House Stout House Hayes

Brown and gold, chevrony striped repeating hung, rigidly still, bound securely to the Gatehouse Tower. Red, slashed with white, framing a rushing black dog, it was looser, listing in an idle wind found only that high up the tower.

On the ground, there was no wind. The whole world seemed still.

Garris Mollen, the Council’s Master-of-Laws had reached Donnel and the other lords at the front of their army, now in sight of Moat Cailin and her banners.

“Stout, for certain, from the Gatehouse Tower. And Hayes there, on the Drunkard’s.” He peered between the two. “I don’t recognise the third banner, mercenaries perhaps.”

From the Children’s Tower, squat and lower than the others, hung an unfamiliar design; a brown goat reared onto its hind-legs as a horse.

“An Essosi warband, likely. I’d wager Qohor, but you never know.”

Moat Cailin controlled the pass in and out of the North – and could be seen for miles around, enabling the attackers to spy who held the keep long before battle came.

But by the same token, the reason Moat Cailin was so formidable was that it could spy all enemy armies on the march within days of their coming. Donnel knew they could engineer no ambush, no surprise siege against the towers. ‘They would know our coming, and would have prepared for days.’ Brandon had said, in the gathering of the war’s commanders last night. ‘Our greatest strength would be to break the defenders outside of the Keep swiftly, and climb the walls – should it come to that. Beneath the towers of Moat Cailin there is nowhere to hide, though they can hide some few thousand swordsmen and archers should they need. Our best bet however would be to circle the Towers and link up with the King’s army, to prevent the King from walking into a trap.’

Now, now that the towers were in sight, Donnel was uncertain. They had expected to see Stark banners, a trap set for the King… The show of defiance from the attackers surprised them.

“Why though?” Harrion glanced between the other lords.

“We’re too late then.” Donnel muttered and looked at the other lords gathered with him. Harrion and Mylon Manderly (the heir to White Harbour and his uncle-steward), Heward Dirk (Donnel’s right hand, marshal, and loyal vassal), Artos Waterman (loyal vassal to the Manderlys, come at their summons), Bowen Norrey (the King’s Council’s Master-of-Whispers), Garris Mollen (the King’s Council’s Master-of-Laws and chief diplomat), Lord Marlon Umber (Lord of the Last Hearth and the King’s Master-of-Coin), and Brandon Snow (the King’s bastard Uncle, acting master-of-arms, and argued to be still the best swordsman in the North). “The Flints hold Moat Cailin.”

“The Flints,” Mylon Manderly was studying the House banners that Garris had identified, “Under the Houses Hayes and Stout, it seems. Who knew they had it in them…”

Donnel trotted his horse in front of the line, looking back at them all.

“They have the keep, but I see no King’s banner. We might have time yet, and Moat Cailin stands no defence against an attack from the north, or those who would defend it still. Line up the men.” Donnel’s face was hard and he turned to look back at the Keep with fury in his eyes. “We’ll burn those banners down, and kill the men who carry them.” Behind him horses were rallied, horns were called, and men moved into formations. Behind him a cry arose from the army he had brought. In front of him, even Moat Cailin might look small.

He had been here only a month or so ago, and spoken with Donnor Stark – where was he now? In a dungeon cell buried below the keep, no doubt – stone cells sunken down into the marsh and bog.

Harrion Manderly alone remained beside Donnel, and turned with him to face the keep:

“My father rode south, my uncle Halys too. He’d be coming with the King no doubt.” Harrion paused, as if about to say something further, but faltering. Donnel didn’t turn to look. “There.”

Harrion’s arm pointing out straight to the Gatehouse Tower, but Donnel was already looking. A retinue of armed men were riding out, a stream of a hundred riders – they must have been grouped inside the keep. Donnel glanced at the other towers warily, ‘You could hide several thousand men and archers across the towers if you knew how…’ he thought, ‘it would be a grim siege, and little chance of an assault from the South.’

His own army began sounding more horns in response, higher pitched to denote a moving enemy force, but as the column of riders came forward he could see that they did not mean to attack, but carried tenting equipment and materials, and above all a large white flag unfurled. Brandon Snow rode up beside them.

“A white flag, there. They mean to parley?” Harrion sat up further in his saddle, straining to see over the lines. “And there, is that a tent? They have a lot of material carried between the riders.”

“You have good eyes boy,” Brandon nodded. “No doubt making a show of the thing, entreating us to talk out of the cold. Not that it shall matter. They want to talk? They seize Moat Cailin and want to talk? Ha!” Brandon looked at Donnel intensely, but the Lord Bolton didn’t respond. “Tell me we won’t, Donnel. Sound the horns for our own riders, make them run. Tell me we’ll ride them down.”

Donnel said nothing. Beside the white flag of peace, he spotted something else carried over a man’s shoulder: a small banner, dirtied and ragged, bearing the sigil of House Stark.

francois-coppolani-challenge-a-song-of-ice-j-ai-lu.jpg

Moat Cailin; the Gateway to the North​

“Lord Dirk, Lord Waterman.” Donnel was addressing the lords and courtiers coming to the parley; the Manderly’s and King’s Council members were of course expected to attend – those who had not remained at the Dreadfort – but the army was to remain back of course, and they might require commanders. “Though, Lord Waterman, I can give you no orders, I would request that Harrion agree with me here: I ask that you and Lord Dirk remain with the army. Should the parley be revealed as a trap, we must know that our army is in good hands, and could ensure our rescue. In the hands, that is, of lords who would know to give no quarter in the face of treachery on the part of the Flints.”

Artos Waterman bristled slightly, he was a lord in his own right – as was Lord Dirk – and thus fully entitled to attend the parley himself… but a quick glance at the Manderly’s – and the regent Mylon’s small nod – seemed to pacify him for a moment. Heward Dirk, for his part, nodded once in silence and came to stand beside Lord Waterman.

“Then to the others, let us go. We may enjoy a moment of warmth, and suffer the bandying of words, but truly there is nothing they might say that would delay our wrath. Let us hurry the motion.” Donnel leapt up onto his horse and began to turn it to the tent that had now been erected between Moat Cailin and the Bolton-Manderly host. Beneath the towers of Moat Cailin more men had revealed themselves, horses brought out from where they had been hidden and riders mounted. Swordsmen and archers made their faces and presence known, and Donnel had had his scouts count them. Some few thousand… Even from the North road a siege may be hard to enact – certainly not possible at speed, and an assault would be costly. It would be a grimmer task than any he had faced in the Riverlands.

But something tugged at his mind, a thought he shared only with the other lords as they began their journey to the tent.

“Harrion, did you spy something else among the riders? Your eyes are likely better than mine own.”

“Something in particular, uncle?”

“A Stark banner. It was hard to make out, may well have been mistreated.”

Harrion looked over from his horse.

“I may have done. A dirtied white banner sticking out from among the grey of their cloaks, and the white of their parley flag. I…” Harrion furrowed his brow, and risked a glance at Mylon, riding behind him. “I dismissed it as a dirtied rag.”

Garris Mollen urged his horse slightly closer-centre.

“A Stark banner? Well, aside from the fact that you can find a dozen in any keep in the North… It may yet be nothing.”

“What say you, Brandon?”

But Brandon Snow was silent. Staring intently on the tent before them. He had not said a word since Donnel announced his intent to attend this meeting, likely fearing what might be said inside.

The tent, at their approach, was far larger than likely needed. The material that compromised the roof was a crimson red and the sides were a stark white, with a black dog painted across the entrance flaps at the front, denoting its owner as a noble of House Hayes.

Donnel still did not know how House Hayes fitted into this drama he was walking into, last he had heard it was House Stout that was leading this rebellion – though he had reservations of the voracity of a report concerning an eight-year-old girl.

Heward Linden, Donnel’s bodyguard and most loyal retainer, stepped through the flaps first, followed closely by another Bolton sword. Donnel stepped through next, fingers peeling back the fabric to expose the tent’s innards.

Well lit, the tent had a table within it, seemingly carried by the riders who set the thing up, and inside – beside three men who appeared to also be in the position of bodyguards, wearing the colours of Stout and Hayes, were but two men with the standing of nobility.

The first man stepped forward, smiling widely. His clothing was of fine leather, trimmed everywhere with red-and-white, a lord’s winter cloak draping his shoulders with his family’s banner sewn on the inside.

“Greetings, my lords!” The man spoke, opening his arms wide in welcome, even as his eyes dart between everyone present, running up and down as each member of Donnel’s retinue and Council followed him inside. “It is my pleasure to make the acquaintance of those I have not met, so allow me to introduce myself. I am Lord Hullen Hayes, of Cape Kraken. A little old keep, far to the west, I don’t expect many of you to have visited.” And with that, Hullen took a small bow, careful to keep his eyes trained on those who now began to stand around the table. “But I believe I know who you are! Donnel Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort, your name is well-known in the North. We’ve been anticipating your arrival for some time. Harrion Manderly, the heir to White Harbour, and your uncle of course, Mylon. Brandon Snow, Garris Mollen the lord of Dawnforest, Bowen Norrey, Cheiftain of the Shadowmoor, Lord Marlon Umber, of the Last Hearth. Have I missed anyone? My, quite an entrance, you’ve brought half of the North, it seems, to parley with me.”

Mollen and the Norrey exchanged glances behind Donnel’s back, and Harrion began to look to Mylon before stopping himself. Donnel’s eyes remained fixed on Hullen, and saw how Hullen registered every movement his compatriots made, and seemed to mentally note them, categorising them away. In that moment, Donnel knew, this man must have been quite an intellect. He was surely the brains behind whatever scheme they had walked into.

“Allow me, my lords, to set aside any discontentment before they may bubble up to the surface; there will be no need here for violence or bloodshed-”

“Uncle!” Harrion started, stepping forward and beyond the circle of Donnel’s followers. “Halys, I didn’t recognise you!” The brother of Harrion’s father, looked up wearily and Donnel saw why he had not recognised his own brother-in-law (though it was Halys’ brother Duncan – the current lord of White Harbour – that Donnel’s sister was wed to).

“Harrion.” Halys forced a weakened smile. “It’s good to see you.”

“What is the meaning of this Hayes?” Brandon shook with anger, and when Donnel turned to look at him, he saw that his fists were clenched, likely in an effort not to unsheathe his steel.

With mounting dread, Donnel began to fear the worst, as Brandon likely did already.

“The meaning,” Hayes smiled again, “Will become clear in a moment. I would allow Halys to tell the story, that you may know the truth from his lips.”

Halys closed his eyes, and tilted his head away from Hullen – was he afraid? He seemed unwilling to speak. Harrion took another step, coaxing him, entreating him as to his fate, what had happened? But the longer Donnel looked at Halys’ state, the blood and mud, the roughened and dirtied clothes, the marks wear Halys had clearly been wearing armour not too long ago… the way he seemed to have aged since they last saw each other in the Riverlands…

“Halys...” At Donnel's soft word he opened his eyes, a pained, yet determined look growing across his face, and slowly looked up at Donnel. “What news of the king?”

Lucias was quiet, seemingly unmoving. Only when he saw Donnel stop and close his eyes did he speak.

“That’s how you heard the story? From Halys’ perspective?” Donnel nodded. “What was your impression of Hullen, meeting him from the first time?”

“A rat, or mole, dressed in leather cobbled from scraps.”

Lucias chuckled, and Donnel relented, opening his eyes again. “The man had clearly rarely if ever worn armour, but here he stood preening like a military commander… but though that was my first impression, it was not my most prescient – and not that which I would leave you with.
“I saw that he was clever. Very clever. I could practically
sense him sniffing out everyone’s thoughts and feelings, going around the room, trying to peer into everyone’s minds…”

“Do you think, father, that you might have done anything differently, knowing now what you did then?”

Donnel looked at Lucias darkly, and for a moment Lucias saw past the father he knew then, and saw Donnel as he stood fifteen years ago, ‘the Daring’ commander of the North, and the King’s Hand.

“Yes, Lucias. I would have burned that whole gods-damned tent to the ground, with them all inside, and never once entered.”

So, if you've never read this AAR (more of a narrative piece at this point, isn't it?) before, then welcome! Please please stay, comment, subscribe, and get invested! It's picking up again, I promise!
And if you're returning... then thank you! And apologies. It's not ok that it went down for so long. When real life calls, I write less for fun, and when the real world gets quieter, up comes this!
So, thanks for sticking to this point.

There are probably going to be a few points of plot that might need characterising and answering on my part, especially given what's about to happen... after all, parleys don't actually happen in CKII, do they? Don't worry if you're a little confused by the mechanics, I promise to make the journey a little easier next update!
All the best, readers.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-21_14-43-7.png
    upload_2019-1-21_14-43-7.png
    33,6 KB · Views: 23
  • upload_2019-1-21_14-43-31.png
    upload_2019-1-21_14-43-31.png
    33,6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I think this will prove to be an interesting meeting.

The Fate of the Wolf
The Fate of the Wolf

latest

The Lord Hullen Hayes of Cape Wrath

“I’ll tell my tale, my lords – it is still vividly fresh in my mind – but I ask leave to tell it all, before you ask your questions. I will answer all I can, I give my word, all that I know I am happy to share-” Halys Manderly gave a quick half-glance at Hullen Hayes, before as quickly turning back to the gathered lords, hanging on his every word. “But please, give me leave to tell it all firstly.”

He paused, and closed his eyes again, perhaps expecting a barrage of questions and insistences to begin even now, or perhaps he was waiting to find the strength within him to continue.

At last, he did.

“We were riding North, and knew ourselves to be coming close to Moat Cailin. We had come from the Ruby Ford, and along the banks of the Trident, to circumvent the Twins of the Freys, then passed easily through Greywater Watch – glad, actually, because the new lord Harrion Reed had navigated us with ease to the moving keep of Greywater – gods know how that man tracks. Ah, you hadn't heard? My condolences then, Lord Bolton, I know the late lord Artos Reed was your uncle-by-law. He died bravely, during a Dornish raid on their camp outside Gallowsgrey – I heard that Lord Trant watched the entire affair from the battlements of his castle. Harrion Reed, his son, is now the lord of Greywater Watch.”

Halys breathed, gathering himself.

Greywater_Watch.jpg

The floating island castle of Greywater Watch​

“There, at Greywater, we were to leave a portion of our army – those who could be put to good work – within the Neck to help defend against a surprise Dornish attack, along with Reed allowing his own army to return to their homes. Lord Reed went further, offering us rest and so on, but Brandon was keen to continue north, so we stopped little, and rested less. We made good time, and when we reached Moat Cailin we were… depleted, left a portion of our remaining force behind, so only seven-thousand men were with us when we first caught sight of the Drunkard’s Tower. We were glad to see it, for we were so weary from the road. All of us were exhausted…”

“And yes, seven-thousand men, I can see your look Lord Bolton, not counting those we left behind at Greywater under the new Lord Reed. The attrition in the south had grown unbearable, it was only that that allowed Brandon to heed his military advisers and return north. More and more men were disappearing and though we believed the Dornish to be suffering just as badly as us, it was clear that our position was untenable, and only worsening as even the Reach began to feel the first winds of winter.”

“Our first warning was in how many of our ravens went un-returned, but then considering the path Reed’s scouts guided us through Greywater Watch, that didn’t surprise any but the maesters overmuch. When we reached Moat Cailin all seemed well; it flew the grey direwolf of Stark and we heard no warning of anything out of place – our issues with our ravens seemed insignificant then. King Stark, he rode at the head of the column, looking forward no doubt to seeing Donnor once more. They stopped, bringing themselves to a halt a little ahead of the Gatehouse Tower and Brandon called up for Donnor Stark, joking about catching him with his underclothes about his ankles, as the sentries were silent at their approach.”

“Donnor came to one of the windows. His room, the lord’s solar, near the top of one of the towers, above the murdertraps. I remember their conversation it was strange, stinted, Donnor took long to answer each call, as if he was holding two conversations at once, that’s how I recall it.”

“And the next thing I remember was the air being filled with arrows. Archers appeared from every crawlspace and every window, suddenly the Towers were alive with faces staring down, and the open ground was no longer safe, and horns were being blown from all the towers, all at once. It was madness, chaos, we-”

Halys paused again, breathing, struggling to find his own words it seemed.

“Brandon didn’t move, at first, for even as the first men began to die, arrows quivering from their chests, he was staring up at Donnor in horror, who seemed to be struggling with an unseen figure in his window.”

"On the ground, it was Duncan Manderly, my brother,” Halys gave Harrion a nod, and Donnel could see tears had appeared, “And Robbett Umber,” Lord Umber stood silent, as was his custom, but Donnel was suddenly aware at how intently he was listening, “who took charge. They rallied our forces, calling them up, intending to act, move, somehow. Robbett led the charge against the towers, seeking to storm them and break the archers’ attack, but men were moving between the towers, somehow hidden behind them, within them, riders charging from between stone pillars. From behind the column we heard calls that a large force of spears and riders had moved to surround us, having concealed themselves in the bogs nearby.”

“Halys…” Lord Umber spoke for the first time, uneasily and slowly. “What came of Robbett?”

“Lord Umber he… He is alive, and well.” Halys gave his own uneasy reply, and a weak smile. “He is being treated within the towers for a wound taken in the battle. I haven’t however seen him myself…” Marlon Umber nodded, and resumed his silence… but the unspoken malice of being Hayes’ prisoner loomed over the moment.

“Brandon he, in seeing Robbett’s charge, joined quickly. As I recall he was joined in the moment by his sons, Mallador and Eddard, but all of a sudden his horse was brought down by an arrow and he was thrown to the ground – in the confusion I believe he went unconscious… yes, my lords, Brandon lives. That happy news I can bring, at least. Though, not everyone did. Donnor Stark, he… he was pushed. Hurled from the window in the lord’s solar in the tower and... He fell and hit the ground in the midst of battle, spraying us all with blood, shaking us. I remember looking up in that moment, as we all turned to stare, and I saw...”

“Harrion, Harrion I am so sorry.” Halys looked up again, and his tears were fresh, carving channels in his cheeks as they washed the dirt that covered him. “Duncan is dead. Your father… I saw him killed there.”

Harrion stood, and only blinked. Marlon reached and put an arm on his shoulder, squeezing, and Harrion turned to look numbly. Donnel looked away. Duncan the Black Merman was his brother-in-law, married to his older sister Lyanna Bolton, and he could only think for the hurt Harrion must be feeling, and the news Lyanna did not yet know. Someone would have to break it to her…

“My Lord Manderly.” Harrion did not respond, at first, but looked up at Garris Mollen, who wore a sympathetic face. “If the news is too much, no-one would question if you wished to take a moment.”

Harrion wore grief on his face and seemed unable to conceal it, but in great credit to his station and birth, Donnel saw with pride how he seemed to swallow, and politely refuse Mollen. He gave his uncle Halys a firm nod and bade him continue with his telling.

Halys smiled weakly.

“I shall, nephew. Brandon, he had fallen, and I saw as Robbett’s charge was quickly routed and pushed back. I saw a group of men wearing the colours of Flint, Hayes, and Stout, drive Mallador and Eddard back from over their father, and drag him backwards through the lines. I saw them capture the King… And I saw them continue to fire arrows by the hundreds down into our ranks. Through luck alone, I survived. Their riders drew up behind us, and slowly began to tighten around us, until we could not move, or speak, except to plea surrender.”

“I’m sorry, I’m…”

But Halys could find no more words.

Beside him, Hullen Hayes was smiling, and he stepped forward lightly. His voice was low, and delicate, as to not sharply interrupt the tension that cloaked the tent.

“The King has been captured. This ‘Flint Rebellion’ against the Starks is over; Lady Rowena Stout has won.”

Lucias watched as Donnel leant forward, and slowly placed his head in his hands. They sat that way for some time, listening to the fire crackle and spit.

After some time, Donnel slowly drew his head back, and leant into the chair, finally turning to look at Lucias.

He said not a word and, with the hint of a sympathetic smile, allowed Donnel to continue.

A silence had descended over the tent, even the howling of the wind passing through Moat Cailin’s towers seemed to have died, quietening in meek solemnity. It was Donnel who broke the stillness, in reaching out from under his cloak, to place his palm on the chest of Brandon Snow. Perhaps it was a telling of how close the two men were, that Donnel knew to do as much, for he alone seemed to sense the tumult that was waging inside Brandon’s mind. He could see in his eyes, and how his muscles were tensed; boiling rage, masking a storm of grief.

Hayes withdrew from his clothing a letter. It was open and he slowly held it up to show everyone in the tent. Donnel spied the royal seal upon the bottom, a direwolf pressed into deep red wax, and the writing done in a dark reddish-brown.

Hayes lightly cleared his throat, and the noise seemed to return to the tent, and began to read.

“I, King Brandon Stark XII, the King in the North, have abdicated my position as the King in the North and all of my lands to the Lady Rowena Stout in accordance to the demands of her faction and due to the justness and righteousness of both her cause and arms. The Lady Rowena Stout shall rule as the Queen in the North until such a time as a great council of the Northern Lords can be called to elect a new king. In accordance with my resignation, on the grounds of mine own tyranny, the rights of the vassals shall be greatly extended to allow them further autonomy in their own lands. I have written this letter in mine own blood to as a mark of my sincerity and as part of the vow I took upon it’s writing before a heart tree of Moat Cailin's godswood. This was sworn in the sights of men and the gods old and new.
Signed,
Brandon Stark.”​

And the letter was again turned slowly, that the lords gathered may read it.

“As per the terms of the King's abdication, the Lady Rowena Stout has been granted the lands belonging to the Starks, of Moat Cailin, of Winterfell and its surrounding lands and vassals. She is now the new Queen in the North.” Hullen smiled, a smile that might seem sweet to any who did not hear him talk.

“How old, if I may, is Lady Rowena Stout?” Garris Mollen spoke up, glancing awkwardly at the faces turning to look. “Apologies, Lord Hayes, we have heard she is but a girl of eight.”

“Nine, in fact.”

“Nine…”

Hullen continued to smile.

“Lord Mollen, your honour and mastery of diplomacy is famed across the North and beyond. I know that on your honour I am safe leaving this letter in your company.” And Hullen passed the letter over the table, to Mollen’s waiting hands, who began to read it.

“Is this… is this blood, Hullen?” Donnel was reading over Mollen’s shoulder, and looked up in no small increduility.

“It is. Taken to ensure that the oath sworn would be looked upon with most sincerity, as it was done in the custom of old, before a heart tree within Moat Cailin’s own very small godswood. I assure you, the letter is entirely legal and binding – there are no laws of man or gods that could undo the pact and oath sworn.”

“What of those who went south, you could not have them all locked below in your Moat Cailin’s cells. What of Jon of Snowgate, what of Harlon Hornwood?” Behind Donnel, others began to talk. Lord Umber mentioned two names, vassal-lords or their sons who went south with King Brandon, Mylon Manderly mentioned others – though to Halys, instead of Hullen – and both the Norrey and Mollen asked after representatives of their own clan or lordship – so many had obeyed King Brandon’s orders, that near every lord in the North would well have known someone who was even now not welcome north of Moat Cailin.

Hullen Hayes raised a hand in placation.

“Much of Brandon’s former army is still camped in the Neck – allowed to retreat after we selected our captives – but most are without their lords and officers. Those that we did not capture and place in our dungeons are likely still south. I am willing to let them all pass, come back into the North again. They have a place in their homes, and I am willing to let them all return home, if we can agree to peace.” Hullen’s smile flickered, and his arms opened wide. “If your Jon, and all the others, are among their number then I’ll not hinder their return across the Neck! As the deposed Brandon Stark would say: Winter is Coming, and the realm needs peace.”

“Of course, if peace cannot be achieved… then I cannot ensure their safety – or that of anyone else. The towers of Moat Cailin are old, and in the chaos of the fighting…” Hayes’ eyes flashed darkly, and he took a half-step forward menacingly. “It would be ever more disastrous for the kingdom if you were to continue this fight, rather than return home and allow the kingdom to heal.”

Those present looked to each other, each concerned and unsure what to say, when to say it.

“Some time, Lord Hayes, if you will. We would have some time in privacy to discuss these… revelations.” Mylon Manderly, still with his hand on the young Lord Harrion’s arm, spoke up from behind his charge.

Hayes paused, eyes flickering to read Mylon, before agreeing.

“As you wish. I shall give you half an hour, but then I must needs return, and you will all be expected to make your oaths of fealty before Queen Rowena Stout. I shall leave some men nearby, should you have cause to need anything from me.” Hayes turned to leave, and his retinue moved to do likewise, but called out over his shoulder before stepping out from under the flaps to the tent; “Oh, Lord Bolton, do take care of that letter, but you need not be overly concerned for its care. Brandon Stark signed dozens more, half of which have already been sent by raven to the other lords of the North.”

And with that he stepped out, a sharp sneer catching at the edges of his lips before he disappeared.

Hayes and Stout guards stayed outside the tent however. ‘To eavesdrop?’ thought Donnel. As he turned back to the table, the Norrey appeared to have the same thought.

“Lord Bolton, are your soldiers also surrounding the tent?”

“Yes Bowen, they are.”

“Might I be so bold as to suggest they start singing a song for our benefit? Something rowdy and cheerful to rouse our spirits at such a harrying moment.” Donnel looked questioningly at the Norrey, even as Lord Umber huffed, and Brandon Snow shot him a stare made of daggers.

“A song? Lord Norrey I doubt my spirits would be roused by any song you or my men could muster.”

“Nonetheless my lord, I feel a loud and rowdy song might yet do us some good.” And the Norrey raised his eyebrows but a fraction. Realisation dawned on Donnel slowly.

“Ah. Ah! Yes! Indeed, I think a song would be just the thing.”

“As I thought.” With a small flourish, the Norrey took a step outside of the tent.

“Don,” Brandon’s wearied face looked up at him from across the table. “Has sense so deserted you? Let’s not joke.” But Donnel, in realising the Norrey’s scheme only smiled a moment. From outside, the group could clearly hear the Norrey yell to the Bolton guards stood outside:

“Men of the Dreadfort! Your Lord requests a song in these dire times! Sing for us, The Bear and the Maiden Fair, if you would!” Some confused laughs came from the outside, but the loyal guards began singing, faltering at first, then growing in volume and cohesion as the familiar song took them all.

It was only when Norrey returned and said ‘Now I should think we may talk a little more freely’ did the others understand.

The first stanza seemed to pass by those in the tent. No-one said a word, each wrestling with their own thoughts and demons. Norrey broke the silence. To Donnel’s mind, Norrey performed his duties of the Council’s Spymaster admirably in those moments. Quickly, with the gathered lords’ attentions fixed, he shared his first impression and notation; there had been no mention from Hayes as to either the fates of Mallador or Eddard Stark, Brandon’s sons and heirs. At Halys’ silence, the Norrey suggested that Hayes had forbidden Halys from mentioning either, to which Halys but nodded once, curtly.

“Why might that be, my lords?”

“I can only suspect, Mylon, that that is because Hayes holds neither, or at the very least lacks one.” The Norrey nodded mostly to himself as he talked, “It was only Brandon’s signature that he requires to force the abdication – and during an imprisonment, given how centralised Brandon’s rule was. His word was law, so when he abdicated his rule, it is also law upon it being said.” The Norrey looked up to them all, everyone was listening intently to what he had to say; “And allow me to make clear, my lords, before anyone objects, that it is Hayes we are dealing with here, not some Stout girl. There is no doubt in my mind that Hullen is the driving force behind all of this.”

Mollen nodded sagely in agreement, along with Brandon Snow. Lord Umber spoke up to inquire as to where Mallador and Eddard may have gone?

“If, afterall, they are not with the remnants of the Stark army, then where might they travel?”

Garris Mollen turned, with a sudden spark in his eye.

“Darry.” Mollen smiled, confident. “The Starks have always had friends in Darry, since the North fought beside King Deremond to drive out the Ironborn and reclaim the Riverlands. I have no doubt that the Stark princes would be welcome there. Perhaps a raven should be sent to Deremond Darry to warn him of the princes’ plight?”

“He’s all too often calling himself ‘the Gallant’.” Brandon Snow let out but a small smile. “No doubt he’d be pleased to prove it so.” Lord Marlon Umber, though quiet, nodded firmly:

“I’m sure they are. Deremond Darry is not one to forsake his friends.” Mollen nodded once in response to Brandon. The raven would be sent at the earliest convenience.

Outside the tent The Bear and the Maiden Fair was drawing to a close, and suddenly the men inside were all too conscious of the Stout and Hayes ‘guards’ standing just beyond the thin veil of tent fabric.

“Men of the Dreadfort! Our spirits are still low! Another rendition if you would!” And quickly the song is taken up again with just as much vigour as before. The Norrey was tapping the thin wooden table with his nails.

“Mallador is certainly clever and I doubt two years in the field of war has changed that. He shall know to head to Darry.” Brandon nodded along.

“Mallador squired for me during the war in the Riverland. I am sure he remembers their hospitality half as well as I do. He knows he’ll be welcome there.”

“And now we come to the letter.” Donnel spoke with a sombre tone and took the letter again from Garris, pointedly asking him: “Is it legitimate? Truly?”

Garris frowned.

“If it was truly signed in front of a heart tree in a godswood….”

“It was.” Halys Manderly spoke then, raising his head for the first time since Hayes left, and meeting the eyes of those gathered. “We were captives for, I believe, days, none of us aware of the other. Moat Cailin has surprisingly deep and lonely cells… Hullen wanted plenty of witnesses to the oath Brandon gave and his writing the letters. I was there. The oath was made in the godswood, with witnesses.”

“Were there any weapons present? Any visible indication that Brandon was being coerced in the moment?” Garris was pressing Halys with questions, and Brandon Snow eagerly nodded beside him, but Halys shook his head in response.

“It appeared wholly willing. I believe Brandon thought the lives of Mallador and Eddard were at stake – no-one knew who else was a prisoner and who wasn’t. Hullen’s too clever, he would have made sure the ceremony went off perfectly. Brandon likely signed because he feared his sons had been taken prisoner too, being threatened. None of us knew for sure…”

“How clever is he?” The Norrey was watching Halys with interest. “After all, he seems to have you convinced.” Halys looks almost afraid for a moment.

“He’s a genius. His intellect is a blessing from the old gods, I swear, but why they would have gifted such a man I don’t know. You’d do well not to underestimate him. I swear he was able to guess all that we were going to say and do before we acted.”

The gathered paused, taking this in, and again The Bear and the Maiden Fair seemed to be all the noise in the world. And again, it was the Norrey who broke it.

“So. Do we capitulate? Or attack? We have the army, no doubt we could seize Moat Cailin and capture Brandon, right the wrongs made here.”

“No.” Halys looks sharply at the Norrey, a flash of fear on his face. “Hayes will kill him. And Robbett, and everyone else he has down in those dungeons. The entire Moat Cailin dungeon system is sunk beneath the bogs, all he has to do is release the swamp-water and they’ll flood. He’ll kill them all before he relinquishes his hold – just like how Donnor was thrown off of the Gatehouse Tower, he’ll do the same. Hullen will risk everything to win.”

Garris Mollen looked forlornly between Halys and the Norrey.

“By all accounts the letter… it is technically entirely legal. There is little we can do right now without risking what amounts to a rebellion.”

“So we do are forced to acknowledge the letter?” Donnel snatched the thing from Mollen’s hand, angry that he could not simply tear it apart, angry that to spite them Hullen trapped them into preserving it on their honour.
Angry at so much this day…

“I’m afraid… yes, Lord Bolton. If only for today… But the letter traps Hullen as well.” Mollen’s eyes glinted for a moment, as if he was tasting an idea for the very first time. “We cannot act against the letter today, and his demand do stand, as stated in the letter… But it also states that a grand council of the Northern lords shall be convened to elect a new King in the North.” Mollen’s lips began to smile, ever so slowly. “When the day of the council comes, what is to stop us from electing Brandon Stark as our king once again? We can wait for Hullen to gather all the lords of the North, and there we can oust him from power with the full support of the North.”

The Norrey began to nod, slowly.

“Viable, certainly viable.”

“Slow!” Brandon Snow slammed his fist onto the table. “Damnably slow! What, can we do nothing? Nothing? My nephew has been murdered, by grand-nephews missing, and my other nephew, your KING is held prisoner by this mad jumped up lordling and his eight-year-old charge?!”

The tent was silent.

“I am sorry, Brandon.” Donnel’s look was sombre, and for a moment its sincerity seemed to quiet Brandon’s anger. “There is little we can do, not without risking a siege, and losing who knows how many noblemen to Hayes’ actions. We don’t know who he does and doesn't have in chains, so we simply don’t know the risk we may be making. What if it was revealed that Brandon died, and Eddard with him? Or simply half the nobility that went south with the King?” Donnel shook his head.

“If we go back to the other lords of the North and reveal that as a result of our actions here, we accidentally caused half the Northern lords and their sons to be murdered by the Hayes… We would cause an insurrection across all of the North. We would do the King no service that way.”

“Don… this is madness.”

“It is, Brandon. Madness in the form of a Flintmen… but we must concede today, that we reclaim the North tomorrow.”

“Agreed.” Mylon Manderly spoke up, looking between the others. Mollen followed quickly, the Norrey afterwards. Lord Umber after a pause, and finally Brandon Snow.

“Agreed.”

“For the King in the North.” Donnel did not shout or cry – indeed he barely spoke - for fear of Hullen’s spies just beyond the fabric of the tent; Donnel drew his sword from its sheathe and laid the blade onto the table in the centre, holding its grip. The other men in the tent did the same, and one after the other repeated the words in hushed tones.

‘The King in the North.’

‘The King in the North.’

‘The King in the North.’

“Touching. But that’s all it took? A single letter signed in blood, and the kingdom was hers? Or his?” Lucias scowled from the comforts of his chair.

“It was in the King’s own blood and with his seal. The ink was signed before a Hearts Tree, and given time to dry. To deny it would be to go against the king’s words, and that of the Old Gods. The seal had been affixed to the paper and the king was in chains. I would not act against what was, ultimately, the law. No one could, in the sights of ‘the Old Gods and the men who witnessed it’.”

“I don’t understand father, it was only ink. All that stood between Brandon and the crown. You and the crown. Besides which, I understood that any oath given under threat of death is forfeit? It was only a single letter.”

“Not ink. Blood. Blood, and a letter affixed with the royal seal. But it goes beyond that. If we had laid siege… there was no guarantee of successfully reclaiming the crown, let alone Brandon and gods-know how many other hostages he had in those sunken dungeons. No doubt in that moment we could have laid siege to Moat Cailin and taken the towers, but if the other Northern lords lost people in the dungeons… If the other Northern lords did not like the actions we had taken, we had no legal justification for those actions. We may have taken the keep, only to find a rebellion brewing at our backs. Another war, in that moment… it would have been disastrous for all of us. In that moment the law was the law. King Stark had angered many people across all the North with his relentless wars, he was not as popular as some of us believed. Hayes capitalised on this… He won that day.
All we could do was swear not to lose again.”

Hello, with a shockingly quick update! I did some more writing.
So, jumping to the big point: obviously this whole scene is just narrative fiction. 'Where's the mechanics here?' I hear you cry, 'We want Crusader Kings II mechanics detailed in full! That's what gives a story life!'
Well, ok. So here's the thing: due to the positive modifiers to a defending army that some terrain gives to some castles in the AGOT Citadel mod, an incoming army attacking an army at an occupied Moat Cailin is at a HUGE disadvantage. As makes sense.
I recall with crystal clarity how my Bolton/Manderly host was sprinting across the North at all possible speed, only a few seconds away from reaching the King's army fighting with the Flint rebels....

And then suddenly it was over. You know how the game goes; the rebels ('count Rowena Stout' and her regent and co-rebel 'count Hullen Hayes') had won, despite being outnumbered, because they had taken Moat Cailin back while I as a play was distracted fighting off Skag raiders who were trying to besiege the Karhold.
The rebels had beaten the King's army... and imprisoned King Brandon Stark.
And as you mechanics-lovers know, once you imprison the enemy king/top-tier lord.... you have max warscore.
Little old nine-year-old count Rowena Stout had won everything. Brandon abdicated the same day, peace was enforced (my huge army had nowhere to go) and Brandon had to abdicate ALL of his lands to the Stouts.

So. What to do. I was at peace.
Now obviously, the mechanics of that are a bit crazy to try and put into a narrative - especially when, as I say, I had a huge army and was definitely going to win if the war continued just a week longer. But what could I do?
I hope you like my compromise.

And yes, the 'council to elect a new King'? Obviously fictitious and my creation. But why else would my hero and his cohorts turn around and leave?
And no, obviously we didn't just 'get' a whole bunch of new council powers... but the Queen and her Regent would begin granting these VERY soon - I just sped up the timeframe a little.

Don't worry, while this - hopefully fascinating and hilarious - twist in the story is probably the biggest and the baddest... it's not the only one. And there's a lot yet to come.

The reign of the Starks has ended.
Long Live Queen Rowena Stout.

Last edited:
Oh trying to make game mechanics make sense in-story can be the greatest challenge - and fun - of writing an AAR in my opinion. It allows one to craft scenes such as these. The singing was a nice touch.

Conspiracy
Conspiracy

‘She kicked and wailed, the maid so fair,
But he licked the honey from her hair.
Her hair! Her hair!
He licked the honey from her hair!’

Even as outside the men were finishing their song, inside the tent was silence.

“An oath should be taken.” Mylon Manderly was the one to look around the circle. “To affirm the loyalty of every man here.”

His nephew, the new lord Harrion, looked up at him.

“How would one swear such an oath?”

“In the older days,” The Norrey smiled, more to himself it seemed, “the First Men would swear a blood oath, where we cut ourselves and let the blood mingle. That way the treachery of one man would stain us all, and the honourable agreement would bind us. It is still practised among mine own clansmen of Norrey.” Garris Mollen grimaced.

“I don’t think that is wholly necessary. Is not the presence of the King’s blood on this here letter enough?”

Donnel nodded once.

“There is no need for an oath. Every man here knows what we intend, and if any man should betray the others then let the Old Gods know them for a traitor and a turncloak.” He looked at each man present, and each in turn met with his stern gaze. None flinched.

‘Then she sighed and squealed and kicked the air!
My bear! She sang. My bear so fair!
And off they went, from here to there,
The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair.’

“The song is done- again.” Lord Umber spoke, a subtle warning against the invasive silence, and the looming threat of Stout and Hayes’ ears beyond the tent.

“For the love of the Gods old and new, must we hear that ridiculous tune again? I implore my lords, though it be the least of our worries, for a change?” Mylon Manderly indeed looked wearied, but offered a weak smile as he spoke. Donnel, resisting the urge to roll his eyes, nodded again and turned, calling on a verse of Iron Lances – a popular song among the soldiers. Soon the sound of shouting and singing again allowed the lords to talk in private.

“Then, onwards my lords.” The Norrey looked around in his shrewd manner. Donnel spared a moment, impressed with his diligence in such a dark hour. “We have agreed on ourselves our charge, and to be true to it; with our acceptance of Hayes’ demands, I must insist we turn to the fates of the Starks… I fear they will well be in grave danger.”

“Surely Bowen, you do not suggest that Hullen shall intend to kill the Starks and drive them from their homes?” Garris looked to the other lords, Umber, Bolton, and Manderly with mild incredulity – he passed over Brandon Snow, Donnel noted. “The war is over.”

“This ‘Queen Stout’ claims Winterfell and its holdings for her own, with Moat Cailin. I recall you saying as much to our Lord Bolton yourself, Garris: ‘There must always be a Stark in Winterfell’… Well Rickon holds Winterfell now. For as long as there is still a Stark in the North, their lives will be an eternal reminder of the Hayes’ usurpation. He will not long let them live unmolested.”

“He’s right.” Lord Umber nodded his head once, eyes closed. “The other lords of the North would struggle to put up with some girl who’s only seen nine name days laying claim to the ancient castle of Winterfell, if there was even a shadow of a Stark still within the North. I doubt the girl has even seen a keep the size of Barrowton, let alone Winterfell. Rickon has little love among the lords of the North, but even he would make a finer choice. Gods, even the Stark daughters.” Marlon shook his head. “Stout would never win any council election, for certain. Hayes is likely not fool enough to let a Stark stand in the North to oppose him and his child-Queen.”

“I would put forward, my lords,” Mylon Manderly had been nodding along to Lord Umber’s words, “That even if Hullen and his Stout lady did not intend to win the Council of the North, they would seek to keep Winterfell… and should a King sympathetic to the Starks be chosen – whoever they are – they would not long allow either the Hayes or Stouts to keep it long.”

“Mylon, surely you don’t mean to suggest there might be a lord unsympathetic to the Starks?” Brandon Snow looked, almost accusingly, to the Manderly regent. “They might not be truly my family… but damned if they aren’t mine. The Starks have always ruled Winterfell, surely no House would allow this treachery?”

Though all men save Donnel and Harrion looked away slightly, it was the Norrey who spoke.

“I would certainly make for a poor spy-master for your nephew, Brandon, if I was not aware that his Grace was… less than popular at present. The war for Dorne, the desertion of people’s farms and homes… How many noble sons and lords crossed south of the Neck with him? How many does Halys think died to Dornish spears on… in an invasion of Dorne, Brandon? We could talk all day on his right to call this war, but the facts are these; he has made no friends from such an act, and yet may have found some new enemies.”

Donnel interrupted the two before they could allow their conversation to take a turn, or else take too long.

“Brandon, there are still Starks in Winterfell that do not know of what has transpired here. You must get to Winterfell with all speed, and ensure that they are ready to leave – I doubt Hullen would allow them to remain at the keep. And you… it may be best that get away from the clutches of Hayes too. At least for now.”

“You don’t… Don, you don’t consider my life to be in danger, do you?” Donnel paused, looking into Brandon’s grey eyes. They were a Stark’s eyes.

“I am sure,” Harlon started, uncertain, “I am sure the most noble and honourable of people consider you a Stark in all but name…” Brandon looked to the Lord Umber. To his credit, Brandon was never a man that needed reminding of his own bastardry, but even he bristled slightly.

“Brandon.” Donnel put a hand on his friend’s shoulder, and Brandon turned back to look at him. “I need you to ride for Winterfell. Take fifty of my personal guard, they shall see you there against any outriders. Rickon, the princesses, they have to know what’s happened. They have to leave. Rickon, though unlike to win any elections for the Crown, is the third in the Stark’s line of succession, the princesses after him, and are sure rivals for Stout’s claim on the North and Winterfell. They cannot remain in a place where Hayes might be in an opportunity to… to remove them from the succession.” Donnel breathed, and fought not to look away.

“Heward, my bodyguard, he is my most loyal retainer. He shall escort you personally.” Donnel looked to Linden, who nodded resolutely. Though he had said not a word, Donnel could see that he had been listening intently to everything said. “Take Halys Manderly, best to get him clear from this viper’s nest, too.”

“I thank you Bolton, but I can care for myself.” Halys looked better than he had before, with colour visible in his cheeks beneath the mud. “I am a knight, in the southron fashion. Ser Manderly, and I can well see that I am taken care for.”

“Taken care for, in Winterfell then.” Marlon looked sternly at his brother. “Then you may join us back in White Harbour. In fact, if I may, Lord Bolton, might I suggest that the Starks be brought to White Harbour from Winterfell? If they must needs leave the North, there is no better place to secure a ship.”

“Why must they leave the North?” Harrion raised his chin proudly, “They would be safe in White Harbour. House Manderly would be honoured to be charged with their protection!”

“Noble, and good-willed, nephew.” Ser Halys smiled. “You would make a good enough Manderly knight, I think.” Harrion beamed. “But I am not sure they would be truly safe even there.” And Halys looked forlornly to the Norrey, who shook his head sadly.

“But from the port of White Harbour, we could provide a boat.” Marlon looked to Halys, and together the brothers smiled. “We would have no trouble finding a captain, one willing to sail them south. Around the Vale, and up the Bay of Crabs to Darry, perhaps? There they could rejoin their brothers Mallador and Eddard. Perhaps, if the King is forced to exile, they may also meet their father there.”

Donnel nodded, pleased. Brandon, however, appeared shocked.

“We flee? The Starks, who have ruled the North for centuries, to whom Winterfell has always been home, are to flee like a beatened dog, chastised, to abandon our castle and kingdom, as if fugitives?”

“Until a Stark once again rules as King in the North, that is exactly what they are. See that you get them all to safety.”

“But Don-”

“No, Brandon.” Donnel looked to Brandon, fixing his eyes with his own, fixing him with the best look of a commander that he could muster. “Your nephew the King, when he made me seneschal and sent me back north, he bid me “Keep the North secure. Keep it defended.” ‘Securing the North’ means making sure the Starks are safe. I charge you know to do this, Snow, on your honour.”

Donnel had never before called Brandon ‘Snow’ before. Even during the long months they had served together in the Riverlands, or the years on the King’s Council in peace. He looked into Brandon’s steely eyes, and saw the pain there, and something else. A darkness, among the grey.

Brandon’s face hardened. And he nodded, just once, before turning to leave the tent.

Donnel watched him go. For a moment he thought to stop him, bring him back, there was more to be said… but he let him leave, and turned to the Manderlys.

“You may trust, Lord Bolton, that I shall see the Starks brought safely to White Harbour.” Halys had gathered himself, and fixed Donnel with a resolute look.

“Take care, ser Halys. My sister resides at Winterfell too, Marna, she is Mallador’s wife. She too, I think, would be safer beyond Winterfell’s reach.”

“I shall see it done, my lord, you need not fear.”

“Talk to the Manderly captain before you depart, uncle.” Harrion spoke, his face held high again. “He shall ensure you go with a retinue of our riders, and some cleaner armour too.”

Norrey watched them go, after Halys had thanked his nephew and new lord, joined by Heward Linden. “Hullen will see them leave and expect that our waiting is done.”

“No matter.” Bolton turned back to the table as the singing outside once again died down. “Though he’s wrong on that count; our waiting has just begun.”

“So you delayed. You played for time.”

“Yes, Lucias. A Council meet, and the election of a new king, and a plan after plan to ensure that the right king came to wear the Crown of Winter.”

“Didn’t you fear the coming of another war?”

“Certainly, I knew that if another war was to come, at the least it may well be a siege of Winterfell. But I ask you Lucias, before you critique, what are the Stark’s words?”

“Winter is Coming.”

“Exactly child. And it was then, just as it is now. Winter was coming and to my eyes a bloodless victory would have been a thousand times sweeter than another war. The men needed to go home and work the fields. The entire North was suffering without their farmers, shepherds, and masons. A harvest needed to be collected so we didn’t starve in the winter snows and the long nights. I wish, Lucias, I wish I could have shown you what we faced then. But I can’t.
All I can do is tell you.”

New update!
Again, not much in the way of mechanics... but what I am trying to do, is set up a little foreshadowing, and help you perhaps see the direction this story is going to go... There's still more to tell! So stay subscribed.
Also, of course, I'm hoping you're enjoying the narrative! Since the save has LONG been corrupted, I can't show you any character screenshots or trait-lists... but I hope you see I'm being true to several characters! You may yet be able to see quite a few poking through.
Also, I'm throwing this out there, one of my favourite things to do is try and find good images I can use among the story. If anyone has any suggestions of viable pictures to use for some characters - or even things to retroactively add for scenes or locations - then please message me! Always looking for suggestions and feedback.

Last edited:
Certain hard truths being taught to Lord Snow here. This is the Winter of House Stark, and it may well be a long and bitter one at that.

The Regent's Rule
The Regent’s Rule
There was but a moment in the tent after the riders had left, before Hullen could be heard outside. Together those gathered heard, rather than saw, the Hayes lord drop from his horse and stride forcefully into the tent, surveying those still within. Donnel met his gaze with a steady glare; Hullen's own was one of concealed rage, though Donnel noted it to be concealed expertly well.

“You are short three, I see. Halys, the Stark bastard, and some guard. Where have they gone?”

“Halys requested a hot meal, apparently bereft of one for some few months, and I believe Brandon went for some food of his own.” Donnel replied with a smile.

“It seemed to me that they left together, Lord Bolton.”

“Perhaps Brandon knows where to find the hottest meals?” retorted Donnel, as Harrion Manderly attempted to suppress laughter.

Hullen fixed the Lord of the Dreadfort with a small smirk.

“I have no doubt that Winterfell serves the hottest meals indeed.” Donnel’s smile fell. ‘Halys was true.’ He thought, ‘This one is clever. I must take care not to underestimate him again.’ To Donnel, the stab of Hullen’s wit was a sharp reminder of the danger the man posed, and that they were still in.

“It matters not.” As Hullen spoke, his anger and attitude seemed to melt away, and his smirk grew across his face, intermingling with genuine pleasantries. “I take it your deliberations are at an end? Though you are a smaller group now than you were before, tell me: will it be peace? Or revolt?”

Bolton was pained at having to show deference to such a man as Hullen, but he did with as much grace as he could muster. ‘What of it?’ He thought, ‘there was no war to fight. Brandon had abdicated. Many would consider the war to be over, and with Brandon Stark’s life was held as leverage, there was no real choice left to them.’

“Peace, Hullen. You have our friends, and the King, in chains. The King himself surrendered. We’ll have peace. However,” Donnel took a step across from the table, closer to Hullen, and in that moment mustered as much of the cruelty and hardness for which his father was infamous… “If you dare, dare, attempt to undercut us now, retract your promises of leniency, betray the tokens of peace you’ve promised us… you shall find the entire North become a storm of such ferocity that it shall devour your House and home fully. You shall not find haven, or quarter, or peace until your spine is as broken as your oaths.”

Hullen’s greatest theatrics and charisma could not drain the tension that clouded them there. But Hullen made no attempts to affect the tension.

“As you wish, Donnel. Peace, and promises.” His smile grew, but his eyes flickered pointedly. “The foundations of many new legacies, I am sure.”He stood straighter, even as the others in the room seemed so small beside he and Donnel. “A moment of peace then. The Queen awaits you within the Gatehouse Tower. You will be required to swear your oaths of fealty – the Queen, you know, would like to see her new lords. Your army… the men you brought may maintain a distance from the keep. Just the nobility for now, there will be time left for the Queen to meet her people, I’m sure.”

And with that, Hullen turned from the tent, and Donnel and the others could see the Stout and Hayes men that had been posted around the tent (beside the Bolton and Manderly guards) peel away and join him.

“Damn him.” Donnel was the last to turn from the castle-facing exit flaps of the tent, and turn to face the exit to the army. “In all the talk of peace, I had not considered how to explain to an army of our defeat, without a shed of blood being spilled.”

As Donnel returned to the Bolton lines, he nodded to Harrion and Mylon Manderly as they returned to their own. The Norrey, Lord Umber, and Garris Mollen came with him – bereft of their own armies to diplomatically placate.

Lord Dirk rode out to meet him half-way, his face was already grim.

“They won, my lord? A force half our size, and they won? Not an arrow flung, a sword thrust?”

“Who told you, Heward?”

“Brandon, my lord. He seemed in a rush to be free of us. Linden was with him, he left with two-dozen riders, heading North.”

“On my orders. I’m glad he left with haste, less so that he talked of what was said in there…”

“He said… he did not speak well of you my lord.” Donnel gave Heward a dark glare, “Oh, little enough, my lord, and nothing against your character. He just… had little good to say. What happened in there?”

“Heward, I cannot have this conversation again. Brandon capitulated. It’s already over.”

“Snow?”

“The King. The King surrendered; we’ve lost.”

Lord Dirk slowed his horse, staring after Donnel. But Lord Bolton did not stop, riding on to his front lines. The speech he gave was, likely by all accounts, a fair one, but there was little that could have been said in that moment to rouse spirits and console his men. They had failed.

There were those who had not wished to fight, those that had hoped they would not have to see the horrors of war that day. And there were those few who – hidden amongst the throng of people – cried their support in the exile of the House Stark.

But the spirit of the day was bleak. An ancient House had lost its place in history, and they had failed to prevent its fall.

Donnel turned and selected from his officers those who had noble blood – the bare minimum required. They would all needs come with him and make oaths of fealty to the Queen. He looked over and saw Harrion Manderly and his uncle riding again over to him, their own collection of vassals in tow. Their faces, indistinguishable from his men, could not hide their disbelief at this turn of events.

Moat Cailin had never been a huge keep. It was not designed to hold a royal court, except in the urgencies of war time. It had not been designed to hold thousands of attendees, but soldiers given patrols and murderholes to stand by. It had not an ornate King’s throne, but a commander’s stone chair, nor a lord’s banqueting table, but a table of war made of stone.

What Donnel had, upon previously entering, called the ‘War Room’, the hall with stone throne and table, had been converted into a royal throne room, using what few supplies had clearly been looted from Brandon Stark’s campaign marching North again. He could see various furs, carpets, and drapes that had previously been fitted in Brandon’s royal wagon, and used to decorate his royal tent.

So why not then now decorate a royal throne-room?

The room was packed with people. Lining wall to wall, there was a sea of bodies pressed together, but with a clear channel up the centre, leading to the lord’s pedestal. Garris Mollen and the Norrey had been brought forward earlier – not having the luxury of having to organise their own vassals and nobles behind them. The Norrey had shot Donnel a quick look – careful – as they were brought up, and now he watched the two walk up the centre of the room, along a long brown carpet, trimmed with gold. ‘That’, he noted, ‘was not a Stark feature. It must belong to whatever Stout noble had brought it. He had not needed the warning. He saw all around them, crowds of young faces, a nest of vipers, young men who had fought in a minor rebellion and now suddenly been granted great power. Great opportunity. During such an upheaval lords could be made and unmade in an instant – especially if a lord were so careless as to allow themselves to become imprisoned.

These Queen’s men, to Donnel’s eyes, looked like nothing more than a pack of hounds, patrolling the edges of the lord’s table, waiting for a scrap of meat to fall to the floor.

Donnel sneered. They would get no meat from him.

Atop the lord’s stone chair, Queen Rowena sat on a raised seat, the stone dias alone allowing her small frame to still dominate the room. The colours of House Stout were being displayed most prominently, with a cut chestnut brown robe trimmed everywhere with gold. Atop her head she wore the Crown of Winter, taken clearly from Brandon when he was imprisoned. Donnel could see easily where it had been wrapped with reeds in order to fit on her smaller head. Elsewhere, her clothing was adorned with silks and jewels, likely pilfered if not from the battlefield, then stripped from the prisoners when they were taken into the cells below. Her small face was flushed, and she seemed entirely delighted by the affections and simpering of men and handmaidens on her now, even as she clumsily, and incorrectly, accepted the fealty of the lords of Norrey and the Dawnforests.

Beside the Queen stood a man, six feet tall and with long flowing dark hair, to his chest. His sharp eyes trailed over Garris and Bowen, and Donnel saw how he leant down and whispered encouragements to the Queen, and for the girl to beam up at him as he did. This, and his soldier’s armour and red-and-white cloak, matching Hullen’s, suggested to Donnel that he was seeing the infamous Morgan Hayes for the first time; the Queen’s father.

Morgan tilted his head delicately and called down the hall to Lord Umber. As he walked, Harlon’s great frame parted the crowd with ease, as they all took a half-step back to ensure he had room along the carpet. Though a quiet man, Harlon was still able to impose his presence on the crowd. As he stepped to the end of the dias, Garris and Bowen walked back towards Donnel, only to have Hullen step out from among the crowd, where he had been standing innocuously. To slight cheers, and the shrewd eyes of Morgan, Hullen clapped both Bowen and Garris once on the back and turned, leading them through the crowd of men, and away from the exits.

They both were able to shoot a quick glance back to Donnel, who could do nothing.

Hullen saw this glance. He saw it, and after ushering the diplomat and spymaster upstairs, he turned, not following himself, but walked back down, and to the dias. There, at Morgan’s outstretched hand, he joined his son and grand-daughter, giving her a quick kiss on her forehead and showing her off to the crowd.

The roar of the crowd, quite drunk on finery and power, drowned the girl’s excited screams.

They had left Lord Umber still knelt on the ground, half-way through giving his oath of fealty. He bore the humiliation well, but it was several moments before Hullen drew the girl’s attention back to the lord on the ground.

Harlon completed his oath and, at the girl’s polite words, rose again. Giving a low nod, he turned again and walked back towards the entrance of the hall. Donnel braced himself, watching Hullen’s hand resting gently against his grand-daughter’s shoulder, gently urging her at each moment. He waited for Morgan to call his name.

“Donnel Bolton, lord of the Dreadfort. In the name of Queen Rowena Stout, you are bidden to come forward and offer your oath of fealty before the Queen in the North.”

If only to refuse. The moment would be sweeter than all the wine in the Arbor. More dangerous than any Lysene poison.

Donnel stepped forward, and for a passing moment enjoyed the silence in the room. For a moment, as he stepped forth, the crowd parted full for him to stand across the room from the Queen, his pink cloak framed him before the hall, and there was a quiet.

Before the jeers.

‘Donnel the Daring! The Daring has come to bend the knee!’
‘Kneel, Bolton! Maybe he’ll recast that flayed man to be bending over too!’
‘Aye, and what’s so ‘dreadful’ about him? It’s his father that was Monstrous!’

Hayes and Morgan were both silent of course, it would have been improper for them to join in, but Donnel heard all this and more passing through the crowd. He near crossed the room when Hayes took a step forward, laughing gently, and struck his hands out calling for calm.

“Fellows, no more japes! The Lord of the Dreadfort has come to bend the knee, take care now! Let us observe this moment with some solemnity.” He smiled at Donnel a diplomatic smile. Silently, and with great care, Donnel lowered himself onto one knee.

And made his vow.

He stood at last and turned, and as he started to walk back to the entrance he saw Jon of Snowgate walking towards him, past him, and made to repeat the same vow. When they both reached the entrance, Donnel inquired as to Jon’s health, Jon who had been his commander who was imprisoned and taken hostage by Hayes.

After his men, one by one, were brought forth to do the same, they gathered at the end of the hall. Dirk’s knuckles, Donnel saw, where white. He bade them wait outside, and waited, watching Harrion and Mylon Manderly, and their vassals, do the same. They made their oath – far fewer jeers, of course – and returned.

Without a further word, not even to each other, they left.

“I’ll kill him Don. I swear, by the Old Gods, by the New Gods, by the Drowned God, if that damned fire god ever came to these shores, I’d swear by Him too. I’ll kill the bastard. He could pretend all he likes not to have noticed, but then asked them for quiet? He wanted them to jeer, and jape, for you to look weak. The Others take them. Others take them all.” Heward Dirk was incensed, and Donnel could see how he had gripped the hilt of his sword so tightly that one of the leather hilt-straps had ripped.

But Donnel was silent. Inside, his heart was burning. His chest aflame.

“Damn it Don, say something. We’re away from the crowd now, speak to me. Gods, I know you to have a temper as any man-” But Donnel cut him off with a hand.

He fixed Heward with a quiet glare. His eyes, Bolton eyes, were cool and pale, like a morning mist. They were not as peturbing as his father’s, nor as icy as his sons, but they were nonetheless cold when his smile did not fill them with warmth.

“Speak not another word to me, Dirk. Not until we are clear of this wretched place. In swearing to be apart from my father I renounced my family’s art of skinning men… but those men in there…” Donnel turned slowly on his horse to the towers.

“If indeed they were men, and not beasts dressed in a man’s skin, then I would not hesitate to flay them all living. Their words are said out of the arrogance of youth, who cannot conceive a fall from grace.” Donnel was quiet, speaking just to Heward, who had gone silent himself. “But they will fall. One by one, if necessary, or all at once. I’ll have their lives, their skins…”

They rode in silence for a little while, before Donnel turned away from the shambolic mess that was Queen’s current royal residence and saw the Manderlys were sitting ahorse just ahead.

“Lord Manderly. Might I have the pleasure of riding with you back to White Harbour?” Donnel's words were kept with courtesy, but this time the warmth did not flow with his speaking. He had little enough to offer.

Harrion, no less embarrassed by the events they’d just walked through, nodded.

“Yes, Lord Bolton. It would be my pleasure. Are we done here?” His voice, though authoritative, quivered for a half second, as he looked between Donnel and his uncle Marlon. For a moment, Donnel had forgotten that he was but sixteen, barely a man, and only just come into his lordship.

“It seems so. Hayes has stayed true to his word to some regard it seems; our men who he took prisoner are slowly being released, and he swears to send ravens south to the Neck, so any men taking refuge there after retreating from the battle here… they should return soon enough, if they don’t choose to harbour with the Starks at Darry.” Donnel had learnt that Harlon Hornwood was commanding the remains of the Bolton men who had failed to return to the North. Though he was concerned for the men of the Dreadfort and its vassals south of Moat Cailin… Harlon was a good man for them to be left with. He would bring them safely home.

“What of Mollen and the Norrey? What of Lord Umber?”

Donnel glanced over his shoulder. Lord Umber had found his brother within Moat Cailin. Robbett Umber was being treated well, for a wound he had taken in the battle… but Harlon’s anger was fierce at discovering that he was still being held in the cells beneath the Towers.

“Harlon is fine. He found his brother, and the Umber men who marched south will be joining him here soon. As for Mollen and the Norrey… no doubt they both will have soldiers loyal to them coming to relieve them soon… Hullen seems to have spirited them both away, so all we can do is hope that he relinquishes them both soon.” Harrion looked sullen, but hid it well.

“As you say.”

“Come, Harrion, though I do not relish you bringing the news of your father’s sad death to your court, I would enjoy seeing the refuge of White Harbour. And my sister, your mother, who must needs learn soon rather than later. Best not delay any longer.” Harrion nodded grimly, and turned his horse to the road.

Between them they left unsaid the other message: the Starks would soon be passing through White Harbour on their retreat from the North, and they would both see them delivered safely.

Beyond them the Bolton and Manderly armies had already turned and were being led back east by several commanders. Harrion nudged his horse forward in their direction, and Mylon rode closer to be by his nephew’s side.

Donnel didn't join them immediately, but remained on his horse, drawing his cloak closer. He looked back, for a moment, back at Moat Cailin, it’s three towers looming over the surrounding pass. Inside, he could still hear the cheers and revelry of the ‘victorious conquerors’. To the west, the sky was starting to burn orange, leaving only a few hours of sunlight left.

Donnel’s mind was elsewhere. In his chambers in the Dreadfort, he knew, in lieu of a valyrian steel sword, House Bolton had a valyrian steel flensing knife that was once used to flay the skin of their enemies. He had held it, on many occasions, and wondered whether it was wrong of him to deny that part of his family’s legacy. On those nights, where he would draw the blade out and study the rippling steel, he wondered whether it was instead a test of his character, to forever rise above the monstrous legacy of his father.

He thought about that blade now. He thought about the way his sigil of a flayed man, his House, had been openly mocked by those men back there.

Donnel the Daring finally spurred his horse and urged it in the direction of White Harbour.

What kind of day would tomorrow bring?

“So you left without either Hallis or Norrey?” Lucias asked.

“Hullen held them both in his claws. There was nothing I could do for either. I believed they would understand, at least until their soldiers from the Neck came and escorted them to their own lordships.”

“And the Queen? What was your first impression of her?”

Donnel smiled a thin smile. “As soon as I saw the queen I realised just how dangerous Hullen Hayes really was.”

So, another chapter, another update.
I know, I know, more narrative and less action. It's about setting the stage I guess.
I think at some point, this became as much a narrative as a game-story, so I hope some of you like that aspect of it. I've tried to fill it with characters as much as a list of traits and a name, and then went farther by giving them time to be fleshed out.
I hope this doesn't bore anyone.

Anyway, this concludes Part 1 of the story. The Starks have fallen, and the Houses Hayes and Stout make moves to consolidate their power in the North, leaving the North's great lords to return to their keeps to wait out the Winter, unsure of what's to come.
Unsure of who to trust, or how long peace can last.

Last edited:
Sometimes you do what you have to do just to survive. But defeat leaves a most bitter taste.

One almost has to admire Hullen Hayes' ability to craft an enemy

The Merman's Court
Part 2: The Queen in the North

The Merman’s Court

Juan_Carlos_Barquet_White_Habor.jpg

White Harbour, the city in the North

Donnel Bolton had been to New Castle, the seat of House Manderly in White Harbour, only once before. It had been during the marriage between his sister Lyanna Bolton, and a young Duncan Manderly. Donnel too had been a young man then, but to him New Castle hadn't changed at all.

Now he was returning, in part to help tell his sister of her husband’s death.

“Here, uncle. I don’t know if you spent much time in White Harbour when you came down, but you must tour the city proper. It’s the only one in the North, so I hear.” Harrion was excited to show Donnel New Castle, and White Harbour both in equal measure. For a while Donnel disapproved thinking Harrion should be instead focused on more lordly business, but during the ride he happened to notice how talking about his home seemed to distract Harrion from the grief that Donnel spied creeping around him. Stolen glances to far away horizons, and the distant expression when he thought no-one was watching.

“Go on then, nephew. Perhaps I can find something in some market to bring back to the Dreadfort?”

“Oh, certainly. We have traders come in from all over the world at times. Jewellers from Pentos, on occasion even silks from Asshai! Half the trade in the North comes through the Harbour.” They talked, Donnel allowing Harrion his distraction – and learning a thing or two in the process – but in truth Donnel’s mind was fixed ahead, and soon enough they came to the moment he had been waiting for.

In the portcullis of White Harbour, there stood Lyanna Bolton, who would very soon come to be called across all of the city, the Widow of White Harbour. For now she dressed well at least, matching a Bolton pink shawl wrapped around a long cloak with the blue-and-green of House Manderly.

“Mother.” Harrion had brought himself out of his own daze, and left his horse before anyone else, walking up to Lyanna. Her eyes were fixed on her son, and her fingers curled around a letter. When Harrion failed to find the words, she spoke, her head held high.

“Lord Manderly.”

She already knew.

upload_2019-2-23_23-4-35.png

The Merman's Court; though likely not fit for the current story - the cast is all wrong, and there should be feasting tables in place of a
washed up smuggler in chains - the mosaic and scenery speaks wonders towards the theme and prestige of House Manderly.​

“When Duncan left White Harbour, he made me promise not to cry for him should he not return.” Lyanna had the pale grey eyes of a Bolton, though Harrion’s were the deep seaweed-green so common to a Manderly. “It is the only promise of his I’ll break. He cannot shield me from this wound, nor command me to ignore it.”

Donnel was seated beside his sister, who herself sat at Harrion's left in the lord’s chair. It was a sombre feast, but nonetheless the lord’s hall of New Castle was brightly lit, with the evening’s sunlight bursting through many intricate glass-fitted windows along the upper walls, framing the entire hall in natural light. Music was playing from both inside the hall and out, soft chimes of crystal and shell, like a true merman’s grotto, singing to the passing of the Manderly lord. A great mosaic had been delicately moulded onto the wall behind the lord’s table, framing a merman seated on a throne made from a great conch, with a pearl in one hand and a trident in the other. The Mer-king, in the Merman’s Court. Elsewhere, delicate artisans were already framing and portraying the late Duncan’s image, replicating it so that it could be painted elsewhere in the keep; a great tapestry of ink painted somewhere, emblazoned with the lords Manderly.

But even in the busy and morose moment of the dinner, Donnel and Lyanna were carving out their own moment of solitude.

“It is fortune, Donnel, that the old wolf sent you North when he did. Else you may have been caught in the Hayes trap.” Lyanna scowled, and clutched her goblet. “What is a Hayes anyway? What is their sigil? The Manderlys, they have a Mer-king. King of the undersea. The Starks, a direwolf, fables of winter, we Boltons, a flayed man. Crude, but powerful. The Stouts? What do they have, some striped colour? And the Hayes, what is it on this seal? A dog?” Lyanna was still clutching the letter, not having relinquished it since they saw her outside; it was the decree of abdication.

“Yes. A black dog, if that matters.”

“Well now this dog has leapt to the lords’ table, and pissed in his glass. It’s enough to make one sick.” Lyanna downed her goblet, staring down the hall.

“I think I hate them, Don. I’m not sure yet. There, those… painters. Already they clamour about the hall, copying Duncan’s face for each other – telling us only that they did not see him enough when he was alive! They’ll be back in weeks, and keep coming for years. Here m’lady, Duncan’s face in a bowl! Here, m’lady, your husband’s engraving on a pendant! Vultures. I remember it with mother, when father died, she couldn’t stop herself from buying every last trinket. They’ll see I have a harder heart than most knights.”

“A harder heart indeed. In fact I’d trust you in a fight with most knights.” Donnel smiled. “As I recall, you were the only woman who Duncan found worthy of him.”

“I was the only woman who could shout him down in a fight you mean.”

“He thought it one and the same.” Lyanna snorted at Donnel's smile.

“Had only I been born a man. I could have fought with you both in the south. Brought Duncan back perhaps.” Together they were quiet. She, like Donnel, had the heart of a warrior. If only their other sister was the same. Lyanna seemed to be thinking along similar lines, for she broke their small silence and turned from the artisans.

“How is Marna? I bet she’ll be unsure whether to be furious or devastated.”

“I expect if the Stouts rushed to Winterfell she alone could stave them off, fighting them all to a man until she got to keep the throne. Or else she’d fill the castle with her enemies and poison them one by one.” Donnel shook his head before glancing about them, but truly they were alone in the midst of the feast. “Actually, sister, if all goes to plan then we may be seeing her sooner than you think. In a week, perhaps.”

“In a week?”

“Perhaps. She’s not safe in Winterfell, after all. Neither the princesses.”

Lyanna’s eyes widened when she took this in. She considered this, and reclined a little in her seat.

“Of all the Bolton bloody men she courts the most blood. A tongue sharper than most dirks..." Lyanna closed her eyes a moment, but when she opened them Donnel saw their own sharpness. "Have you read this, Don? The letter they sent.” She relaxed her hand, and for the first time Donnel read the letter that Hayes had sent to the lords of the North. To his surprise, beside the letter of abdication and among the Hayes’ message to the North, it stipulated the other demands and rights of the new Queen.

It included the seizure of all Stark lands in the North. Winterfell, its surrounding lands, Brandonborough and the new castle of Wintertown, and Moat Cailin. Donnel furrowed his brow in reading, then glanced with no small awkwardness at the young lord Harrion, and Mylon his steward beyond.

“My thanks Lyanna, but the Lord Manderly should see this. It’s addressed to him, after all.”

Lyanna blinked, before wearing quickly a brief mask of concentration. She took the letter from Donnel and turned to Harrion.

“Lord Harrion.”

Harrion himself blinked, surprised at being called ‘lord’ from his mother - surprised more that it was followed by his first name, and not the true honorific - but Donnel also saw Lyanna wink at the familiarity of what she said. “This letter here, it’s time you read it.”

Harrion took it, and Donnel waited until he finished. He then was handed it himself, and pretended to read it for the first time.

“It’s grim, my lord.” Harrion nodded in response.

“Then it’s well that Winterfell should not be so full, yes?”

“We can only hope.” Donnel allowed himself a weary smile, and nodded to both Lyanna and Harrion. “Hope, and wait.”

Donnel’s captains and army had continued North to the Dreadfort, to return home and begin the collection of the last harvest before the long years of winter fully descended upon the north. Though he remained with the majority of his household guard, he had begun to notice quickly his wariness at Linden’s absence – the man had been at his back for nearly a decade, and they owed each other much. It was strange to suddenly be without him – though it was not for fear of his own safety, tucked away in the fortress that was the Manderly’s New Castle. Donnel, together with Harrion and the commanders of White Harbour, began to speak carefully of strategy; what if the Hayes and the Stouts sought another war? Called on the North to oust traitors and rebels, in Bolton and Manderly? Or others? What if the crown was refused, and the Stout Queen sought to remain queen despite a king’s vote?
What if the Stouts won the love of Winterfell, and had its might to call should a new war break out?
What if the defenders of Winterfell refused to surrender the castle, and a war broke out tonight, just to allow Hayes access to the throne and the Crown of Winter?

An alliance was decided, between the Houses Bolton and Manderly. Though Duncan and Donnel were on good terms, and the relations between the Houses had always been cordial-to-good, this was the first official alliance between House Bolton and another in the North for some time – Donnel had worked for near a decade to repair the damaged reputation of his House after his father’s ill rule.
Donnel was proud in that moment, grasping another lord’s hand and making an oath of mutual defence and protection.

Strange, he thought, that it takes such dire times to create such strong bonds. Or perhaps it isn't strange at all.

The rest of the week was tiresome. He was permitted at times to join the lord’s council of White Harbour, and frequently was on hand to offer the young lord Harrion his advice. Harrion was growing into his new position of power, but Donnel felt that he had a knack for it.
And if ever his ‘knack’ was not enough, Donnel noted that Mylon the steward was never far, and often watched closely whenever Donnel was offered to advise. There was ever the question of regency hanging over the young lord; he was barely sixteen and though many would call him a man and in no need of a regent, the boy still allowed his steward to wield a great deal of influence in decision making. Though the talk of strategy came naturally to Harrion, and he quickly grew in confidence in making decisions apart from Mylon, Donnel noted the unease with which Mylon began to see his influence slowly wane, and weaken.
Donnel for the most part was glad enough simply to see that Lyanna holding up well. She had not been given a place on the lord’s council, but Donnel saw that she had become close with Arya Karstak, Lord Karstark’s sister, and Mylon’s wife. At least, Donnel knew, she will be taken care for when I leave. Some noble wives never fully integrate well into their new homes.

It was nearing midnight, and the calls of hunting birds and owls from the godswood could be heard from the castle walls, crying to be heard over the flocks of seagulls that owned the White Harbour skies. Though the Manderlys had brought their seven southron gods north with them, some among the smallfolk still held to the Old Gods, and the godswood was kept well enough. This evening Lyanna had again chosen to join Donnel in walking the castle’s tall walls overlooking the city. Together they leant against the whitewashed parapets and breathed in the salty air, a bowl of burning whale-oil serving as their torch, cradled in the arms of a marble merman statue. It did a little to stave off the cold; already snowflakes could be seen drifting as high as the castle’s walls, and along the edges of the outer harbour Donnel could spy ice forming, clinging to the stone platforms and beginning to coat the sea where it was stilled by the harbour outcrops.

upload_2019-2-23_23-5-0.png

The Statues of New Castle​

“The youngest lords in the North,” Donnel remarked to Lyanna, “though not a young House. And by the state of their New Castle they seem much the wealthiest.”

“These Mermen's walls are as expensive as their foods and wine - trust me in saying you'll find no meat pies richer north of the Crossing - but that must make for good allies, no?” Lyanna smiled.

“We must hope so. The pinks of the Boltons and the blues of the Manderlys. You were right; no Hayes pup could contend with these great Houses… but if Hayes keeps Winterfell, he might have the men after all."

"He'll need to take not just Winterfell's walls, but its people. How might he do that?"

Donnel was going to reply when movement caught his attention. From around the Sept of the Snows came a runner, clearly a member of the Manderly’s household guard by the blue cotton cloak and trident. He came to a sudden stop, his breath leaving small clouds trailing in the air.

“Lord Bolton, my lady, Lord Manderly calls you to the main gates. It’s time, he says.”

They departed. Donnel shrouded himself in his cloak – the walkway was more exposed, blowing sharp salty air flecked with foam into his face - and helped his sister descend the hill with him, down the Castle Stair. Harrion and the rest of his Manderly cohorts found him at the gate.

“Watchtowers picked them up moments ago, they’ll come into the castle and at sunrise tomorrow we’ll escort them through the Seal Gate to the harbour.” Donnel nodded, even as Harrion turned a half-turn and gave a smaller-still bow to his mother. New Castle, though a formidable citadel, was built within and attached to the city’s own walls, with access beyond to the city, and to the harbour. It was the shortest route to the harbour from beyond the city walls – without passing through the city's great walkways.

There was a moment’s passing, before Donnel heard a voice from above the gate; guards calling out for the approaching riders to identify themselves. Donnel didn't hear the response clearly, but the gates began to open.

The riders beyond were awash in colour; Manderly blue, Stark grey, and Bolton pink. From between the gates strode ser Halys Manderly, who came first with his cloak flapping behind him and grasped his lord in a great bear-hug.

“Nephew!”

“Uncle! I'm glad you’re back. Were you successful?” Halys beamed at Harrion and in turning back to those still walking through the gates, gave Donnel a short wink.

“My lords may I have the honour of presenting to you the princesses in the North: Lady Sansa, and Lady Jonnela Stark.”

Donnel had not stayed long enough in Winterfell these past few years to have properly met either of the princesses; the last he had truly examined either had been at his sister’s wedding some five years ago. He, and all the others present now, lowered themselves onto one knee, pressing delicately into the soft layer of snow that had gathered beneath. Flakes circled around them, drifting gently through the gate, framing the princesses like a delicate shroud.

“Princesses.” Harrion slowly rose from his knee first, and carefully took their hands one after another, gently kissing their fingers. “May I be the first to welcome you both to White Harbour, and a safe haven for as long as you ask it.”

Sansa retrieved her hand with a polite smile, but her eyes were as cold as the snow. It was an irony not lost on those who looked at her: her eyes were not like that of a Stark, cold and grey, but were like bright almonds. Sansa had inherited much from her Dornish mother, including a fascinating and deadly beauty. She had dark features and darker hair, but her quick eyes and prideful attitude were more comparable to a serpent of Dorne than any northern wolf.

“Thank you, Lord Manderly. We were devastated to hear of the loss of your father. Duncan was always a stalwart supporter of my father, and I am glad to be in the presence of men who still hold true to House Stark.”

“Thank you, your grace.” Harrion smiled. “I hope to make him, and your family, proud in that regard.”

Jonella’s smile appeared far more gracious. She was a truer Stark, keeping to her father’s northern features, and grey eyes. She was not as attractive as her sister, but clearly more graced in diplomacy.

“I’m sure you shall, Lord Manderly. In receiving us you’ve already done so much; our faith is with you now.”

“Lord Bolton.” Sansa stepped forward and Donnel rose, and as he stood so did the men all around them. Donnel took the offered hand, and kissed it as Harrion did.

“Your grace. It is good to see you again.”

“No doubt. I am sure your sister shares similar sentiments.” Donnel looked past the Stark women and saw his sister stepping through among them, clad in equally Stark colours, save for her particular ruby-clasp. As beautiful as Sansa Stark was, with her dark dornish features, Marna alone was her northern equal; pale stony eyes and dark hair. Only she was Sansa’s equal in looks and, he knew from them both, cruel wits.

“Brother.” He offered her hand, as the princesses had done, but Donnel was already standing. He took it, closing his hands around hers.

“Sister. You are well, I hope.”

“Indeed, though surprised to find myself here.” She smiled a doting smile on Harrion, “My Lord Manderly, you are most gracious to welcome us. My thoughts are with you, with the passing of your father.” Harrion nodded his head graciously in return, but Marna had already turned back to Donnel. “Your man Linden spared me no peace on the ride back. He forgets that I have my own wolves to protect me now, I have no need of your bloody men.”

Donnel bristled at the slight, and turned away to find Heward. He was stood at the head of the Bolton guard, wrapped in pinks and reds. Donnel moved towards them, but Marna held him back with a single finger pinned against his chest.

“Now now, brother. What of Mallador? I've heard little and less of his fortunes, and I won’t let you leave my presence yet without news. The princesses I am sure equal me in desire for news of their brother.” Donnel glanced at the royal daughters; Jonnela failed to conceal a slight frown of disapproval, but Sansa’s eyes were near as sharp as Marna’s.

“We’ve not heard much. We suspect that he and Eddard will have retreated south to Darry, the Starks still have friends there. Deremond will host them, no doubt, until they may return.”

“That is where we are headed then?” Sansa shared Marna’s lack of patience. “I would know where we are being shipped before we board any boats. I trust, after all, that is why we are here? It seems that few Starks are to remain in the North.”

“My lady, perhaps I may have the honour of walking you to the castle?” Harrion, still learning of his diplomatic graces, stepped forward and addressed the princesses. “I would be glad to share all that we know, and see that you know what we have planned.” He gestured up the Castle Stair to New Castle and the Merman’s Court. When Sansa hesitated, eyes measuring Harrion, Jonnela stepped forward and ran her arm through his.

“It would be our pleasure, Lord Manderly. We only know what the usurper’s letter told us, and of what your uncle had to share. Please, we are starved for knowledge – and food beside.”

“Well, my lady,” Harrion had begun smiling again in earnest, and he and Halys began to lead the Stark procession up to the castle. “You are in good fortune after all then, for we have a feast readied even in this late hour. You may rest safely tonight, that I swear…”

To Donnel’s ears they trailed off, the wind stealing their exchange. He looked to Marna, who had stood icily watching them leave, her finger still planted on the chest of Donnel’s winter coats. Their eyes met, and he waited to see what she would do. Behind her were Stark men, a few who had remained to guard their prince’s wife, and Donnel looked at how they separated her from the Bolton men he had sent to Winterfell. Does she think so little of our House? In wearing her husband’s cloak in marriage, has she truly left all of her Bolton self behind?

“We shall talk, Donnel. Long and into the night if it must be so, but we shall talk. I want to know all that you are going to do… to fix this injustice. It’s your fault, after all. What good is your chasing a reputation of being the North’s most able commander, if you can’t hold off a scruffy band of malcontents from seizing on the king’s throat?”

She left suddenly, before Donnel could answer, leaving him attempting to choke out a response. She had cut deeply – she always could – and disappeared, and he could still feel where her finger had checked him, a cloud of ice swirling in the space she had just occupied.

Heward interrupted Donnel’s frozen countenance, though Donnel did not know how long he had waited.

“My Lord.”

“Heward?” Donnel looked, it was just the Boltons now, and Manderly’s guard, at the gate. “Where are the others? Brandon, Rickon Stark, I thought there would be more?”

“When we reached Winterfell Brandon got us in immediately; the guard knew him well enough, that white cloak of his is distinctive even in the early snows. We were confronted by Rickon demanding to know what was going on, he was holding the Hayes letter in his hand in a fury.”

Donnel smiled; he could well picture Rickon Stark in a fury. Heward didn’t return Donnel’s smile however, so he dropped it and listened close.

“There was confusion as to the word, and Brandon and Rickon argued fiercely during the nights, but soon we heard that there were riders moving from Moat Cailin; we had run out of time. I’d ensured a carriage was readied days in advance, so we were waiting to leave… but neither Brandon or Rickon came. Rickon… The Old Gods alone know what that fool was thinking, but he took a procession of men loyal to him and rode south. South! I think he meant to confront this young Queen and convince her to concede the crown then and there! We could hear Brandon Snow yelling obscenities and jibes after his nephew for hours from atop Winterfell’s walls, even as they marched out of sight! And Brandon he… well. He left you this.”

Heward looked down to his belt, and procured a small roll of parchment. His eyes did not meet Donnel’s after.

Hesitantly, Donnel took the letter and examined the seal. It was the castle’s wax, and stamped with the direwolf of House Stark – though not his House, Brandon had seemingly used it for his own on this occasion. Donnel broke the seal and unfurling it, he began to read.

Donnel.
I shall keep this short, for my talents have always been with the sword, not ink and quill.

There must always be a Stark in Winterfell. Rickon has gone south to ‘parley’, though in whatever that man seeks to accomplish he will inevitably fail, he underestimates the foe rallied against us. He still thinks the Starks are unassailable, but having stood outside the House all my life, I know that to be a false hope.

I may not be a Stark in name, but it’s Stark blood in my veins, so I shall remain in its hall, and I shall remain at its gates. Even if I must stand alone, I shall not yield Winterfell to Hullen and his brood.

If I die here then remember me fondly, as I you.

Brandon Snow,
Son of King Benjen Stark, brother of King Torrhen Stark, uncle to King Brandon Stark.

“You left him there, Heward?”

“He gave me little choice, my lord. He refused to come. He said he trusts you to guard the princesses, and trusted me to see them to you… but he would not be brought with us. He said you, Regent of the Realm or no, had no right to command him further than Winterfell’s gates. And he gave me this, to give to you also.”

Donnel looked up, and saw that Heward was holding a sword-sheathe. It was fine leather, and engraved at its mouth was a direwolf, it’s large open jaws where the hilt of a sword should be. It was empty, and Donnel knew it to be Brandon’s.

“He drew his sword as he left, lord, and gave me the sheathe.
He said he’ll never again have need of it.”

So, my addition. No 'Lucias' bonus here, what's to say? Another eloquence on how things are going? Enough's been said, you don't need the commentary.
Well... aside from mine, of course.
It's tough to catch you up in terms of story, when there isn't necessarily much happening right now. Next chapter, I fear, will be mostly exposition told through character. This was as much a story moment as plot-fuelled. Either way, I hope you're enjoying it. How much has been written about White Harbour? Actually it seems a really interesting space! It's incredible to think that George R R Martin has put SO much thought and effort into making every castle, every hold, unique and interesting in its own way. Silver-trident bearing house-hold guards? Whale-oil lamps? Mermen everywhere? By the Old Gods, that man's imagination!

Anyway, I hope the next chapter to be up soon enough. Enjoy this one, and let me know if you're still reading and enjoying!

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-23_22-53-47.png
    upload_2019-2-23_22-53-47.png
    633,6 KB · Views: 14
  • upload_2019-2-23_22-54-51.png
    upload_2019-2-23_22-54-51.png
    196 KB · Views: 13
  • upload_2019-2-23_22-55-16.png
    upload_2019-2-23_22-55-16.png
    556,8 KB · Views: 12
  • upload_2019-2-23_22-56-49.png
    upload_2019-2-23_22-56-49.png
    196 KB · Views: 12
  • upload_2019-2-23_23-2-36.png
    upload_2019-2-23_23-2-36.png
    196 KB · Views: 12
  • upload_2019-2-23_23-3-0.png
    upload_2019-2-23_23-3-0.png
    1,8 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This might just be the most well-written AAR I've ever come across. Well done!
Thank you @Dagonet ! Since this is a narrative AAR, and a lot less interactive than most others on here, I get a lot less comments and feedback, so it's really fantastic to hear that it's being read and enjoyed! Hope you keep reading till the end.

The final scene culminating with the the empty scabbard crescendoes beautifully into that powerful moment.

The North Remembers
The North Remembers
Even in the great marshes east of White Harbour, the beginning of winter’s chill was freezing the bog’s water-pools closed. Pits of ice spotted the land, and it was never certain which ones were safe to tread, and which would crack open and devour whoever stepped in them. More than one horse had already been lost to a careless rider; the bogs were no safer for the freeze.

Above the ground the winds pulled and tugged at Donnel’s party. They were not yet in the grips of the winter that was bearing down on the North – no castles had yet been drowned in snow – and that would not be the case for a few years yet… but the early rising winds were telling of a poor omen, one of a dark winter indeed.
It bore ill for the peasants. Soon what little earth could still be tilled would close over. Grass would become like icy blades, the mud would crack and dry, and anything that could still grow would be covered in snow as tall as a man. Like every winter, thousands would freeze and starve in their homes.

Every winter, the lords in the North had saved food, spared their men and women from war, and prepared. This winter, however, Donnel knew supplies to be already waning. Debts and famine oft came hand in hand, he’d heard it said.

Donnel clutched closer to his winter’s coats, burying himself in its furs, and spurred his party east into the sun’s early light.

Folko_Streese_white_harbour.JPG

The snows falling on White Harbour​

He’d stayed in White Harbour long enough. Long enough to stand on the castle’s ramparts one final time, and see the ship sailing south. It carried the Stark princesses aboard; two wolves, one as fierce as any of her House’s sigil, the other as graceful as royalty can be. Placed in the hands of the North’s lords, they were being smuggled out of their own kingdom, hidden and secreted out by boat – and not by their kin; by Boltons and Manderlys.

Donnel looked down into the city, at the thousands of Northmen who walked its streets. Did they know who had passed through?

“They’ll return, brother.” Lyanna Bolton stood at Donnel’s right. Her hair was bound high with a single pink thread, the rest of her wrapped in blues and greens. “The North Remembers, and the Starks will be welcomed home again.”

“The North Remembers.” Marna Bolton at Donnel’s left, her eyes colder than the snows. “Every slight, every insult, every word, we’ll remember them all and extract our revenge. By my words, by your knives, and by a thousand Northern swords. You’ll do this, brother, with me at your back, or else find in me a deadlier enemy than any Flint.”

Marna had decided early on that she would not be boarding the Stark’s boat, the Maiden’s Song, but instead returning to the Dreadfort. Donnel had been tempted to refuse, or to coax her south to Darry – better in the Riverlands, one less enemy of his in the North! – but ultimately Marna was a Bolton. She may hide her House colours in jewels, or buried beneath Stark cloaks, but she was still his sister by blood.

Their hosts took care to see them off on their ride east. Donnel had a good two-dozen of his household guard riding with him, so there was no need of an escort – though Marna insisted on keeping her prince’s men with her for the journey – so Harrion insisted at the least that they would be seen off by him personally. The Manderlys gathered within the shadow of their eastern gate, Harrion dressed more lordly now, after seeing the princesses off, than Donnel had ever seen him.

“You are the picture of a Manderly lord, nephew. I remember Duncan when he married my sister, dressed as a mer-king come to shore.” Donnel smiled. “He would be proud of you, you know. What we are doing here sets the stage for years to come – and Duncan would be proud.”

Turning to Lyanna, Donnel hugged her, pulling her close.

“I’ll miss you, sister, when I’m back home. The Dreadfort is yours too, and you’re welcome there any time.”

“And you here, brother. Whatever comes.”

Donnel wished both Mylon and Halys Manderly well, whatever came. Behind him, Marna was doing the same, and finally to Manderly horns and trumpets Lord Bolton, his sister, and their escort, departed White Harbour.

The_North2.jpg

The North; From White Harbour, Ramsgate. Cross the Broken Branch, then north to the Dreadfort​

They had left the marches and reached Ramsgate – the farthest eastern keep and lordship sworn to House Manderly. There the Lord Harmond Woolfield greeted them, having been warned by raven to expect the Bolton’s coming. They were granted provisions and fresh horses, and began again to leave quickly, heading north-east to the banks of the Broken Branch river.

The route was certainly not direct and ignored in its entirety the great road that Donnel’s army had so recently followed in its march to Moat Cailin. This decision was made back in White Harbour, at Heward Linden’s suggestion – and Donnel found himself glad again to have his friend at his side once more. They did not know when Lord Harlon Hornwood might yet have returned to his lordship, but they suspected that was not the case. With the Hornwood's regent Cellador, the lord's uncle, having so recently showed his disloyal – near-treasonous – colours so recently, Linden suggested it to be safer to circumvent the Hornwood entirely – lest they tempt the vindictive wrath of the Maimed Moose. The new lord of Widow’s Watch, Lord Hareth Redberry, was far more loyal to Donnel and would by all means see his lord safely reach the Dreadfort again.

Occasionally ravens reached them. They had not hired a maester but instead found a trainee who worked with a rookery to travel with them, carrying a few small carrying-crates of ravens lashed to a donkey’s side. It allowed an occasional raven to be sent – though only to White Harbour or the Dreadfort, reliant on the paths these birds had learnt – and of even more benefit it meant that the occasional raven might find them in their travelling.

The first raven came just before reaching Ramsgate and was a forward sent from White Harbour detailing the movement of Hullen Hayes to Winterfell, at the head of a small army of Flintmen, and a few of Spearmouth.

“Perhaps the old man fears Winterfell won’t open to him?” Marna could not choose between a smirk, or a scowl. “Perhaps there was no need for me to leave the castle at all, hmm? He could not hope to attack Winterfell of course, he’d simply impale himself on its iron teeth!” Several of her prince’s men who acted as her Stark guard chuckled and followed at her newly quickened pace.

As Marna pulled away, Linden laughed to himself and whispered to Donnel.

“We've no fear of chasing away wild packs of wolves on our journey, my lord. I suspect it is they who would be well to fear Marna’s coming.”

“Either that, or they might smell their own on Marna’s scent. You've noticed she prefers the company of wolves now?” Donnel gave a nod to her Stark bodyguards. “But beneath all those furs and teeth lies a Bolton yet.”

The second raven found them as they began to near the banks of the Broken Branch. Tied to the raven’s leg Donnel found the latest missive from the Regent; the Queen had elected to make Moat Cailin her seat of power ‘that she may ever guard the North’, and has chosen to grant Winterfell to Hullen Hayes and his descendents for as long as he lives.

This news, perhaps more than anything else this past year, shocked Donnel.

“The Queen won’t even reside at Winterfell?!” It was to Marna and Linden that he called out, but only Marna reacted comparably furious.

“It’s an insult! It’s inexplicable!”

“The man means to treat himself! Let Winterfell be his home until he dies, then it will fall to his son Morgan. And then through Morgan, to Rowena. The bastard’s ensuring his own legacy – even at the expense of his ‘Queens’!”

“You see what this is, Donnel? He means to survive the Kingsmoot! Let the Northern lords choose a new king, but he means to keep Winterfell! He’ll keep the castle even if he loses his crown. You can’t let him Don! I won’t let you.”

The Broken Branch was named so because of the several smaller rivers that flowed together into a single branch. During the summer its estuaries and streams nourished and watered the entirety of the Hornwood before coming together, much like the roots or branches of a great tree. Upon reaching its banks, the party turned north-west for a league, waiting for a bridge they knew would carry them across its icy waters. Soon they reached an old wooden water-mill, and several small houses cluttered about it, but beside both a long stone bridge. The smallfolk came out to watch as they rode past. Marna kept her eyes straight ahead, burning a hole into the horizon, but Donnel noted Linden grow wary. Though the sigil of their House, a flayed man grows unease in any man unfamiliar to it sewn on a man’s chest.

The river beneath had drifting clumps of ice, familiar enough to the Weeping Water which runs beneath the Dreadfort. The moment his horse crossed the bridge however, Donnel smiled. This was Bolton lands again.

“This is the land of the Widow’s Watch, and its lord should be here to meet us.”

“You think he’s been waylaid?” Heward gestured for a few riders to ride ahead and scout the horizons. Marna instead sneered in response.

“Does he care enough to come, Donnel?”

Donnel looked back in contempt.

“I gave the lordship to Hareth myself. Lord Redberry is loyal, and I raised his family to nobility. He’ll come.”

A cry came from one of the riders. No signs of Redberry men, but a town nearby with smoke rising from chimneystacks. Warmth, at the least, and the night was growing close.

Within the town, the party found Redberry and his men. Still ahorse, they seemed surprised to see Donnel’s party riding into town. Lord Hareth Redberry was easily distinguishable: dressed in rich brown leather and with a cloak dyed white and trimmed with fur, dotted with large droplets of crimson-red. He pulled his horse forward at seeing the familiar Bolton banner and met with Donnel at the entry to town. Though his brother Artos was a shrewd man, Hareth lacked his brother’s wits; his face perpetually looked as if he was attempting complicated arithmetic at a maester’s table, but for now it seemed taut and alert.

“Lord Bolton, we had not expected you for another day. I’d welcome you to the Widow’s Watch, but we are yet two days ride from my keep.”

“Lord Redberry! Castle or no, it is good to see you, and to be welcomed to your lands. How do they fare in winter's early embrace?”

“Well enough, my lord. We have some few remaining supplies being sailed north from the Vale, and as your steward requests we plan on driving a few carriages of it to the Dreadfort.”

“Good, good, though I did not come here to discuss supply carriages. The day is running short on light, and the nights are only growing colder. Is there an inn, for the night?”

Hareth nodded solemnly.

“There is, my lord, but just the one. The Flintpiece Hearth. My men were just making arrangements to stay there ourselves.”

thumb.php

The Flints of Widow's Watch; Ever Vigilant

The inn was small, even by the standards of small-town lodges. Dominated at one end by an enormous stone hearth made of great black rock, and at the other end an old wooden bar that might have once been oak, but now aged beyond recognition by ale and beer stains. Smoke curled around its roof and a rickety staircase led to an upstairs lodge that could likely have held only a dozen sleepers. The men inside, Redberry's men and sword-clad, turned as Donnel and Hareth entered. Widow's Watch men, all, but Donnel noted that many of Redberry’s guards wore cloaks or armour emblazoned with another sigil.

Marna walked beyond and past Donnel, having said little but to introduce herself to Lord Redberry for the first time and follow the usual diplomatic graces. She and her prince’s men moved down to one of few empty tables and claimed one for their own, talking amongst themselves quietly, or else saying little. Donnel ignored her and turned back to the strange outfits on some of Redberry’s guards.

The Flint’s of Widow’s Watch were the lords who previously held the castle of Widow’s Watch and its surrounding lands, before Donnel’s father Rodwell the Monstrous drove them out of their keep and claimed its land for his own. After Rodwell died Donnel had granted the land to the brother of his childhood friend, Artos, and the newly-named Lord Hareth Redberry rode south-east to claim the keep as his own. Despite having his own lordship, banner, and cloak, it was clear that at least half of his men here still bore faint markings of their previous lord. Yellow-and-blue remnants and dye littered the cloaks of half where the dye missed or didn't reach enough, or else poking out from leather guards. The open azure eyes of the Flints could be seen indented or marked into much of their leather beside. One man even had a faceguard still marked with the crashing waves of the sigil of House Flint of Widow’s Watch. His eyes loomed over it, thankfully not near as blue as the Flint's banner.

Donnel took all this in, as he stepped through the threshold. Three of his pink-and-red Bolton guards stepped after and before, circling him, and together they made their way down to another empty bench. All along, eyes followed him, as silent as the Flint’s flag. Not all the Flint’s of Widow’s Watch were dead, he’d heard that some still survived in the west of the North, among the Rills and Barrowton, some having found a home with their distant kin among the Flint’s of Flint’s Finger.
Lord Bolton had thought these lands around the Widow's Watch now belonged to his House, and House Redberry; here among these men, he began to wonder if he was wrong.

Lord Redberry followed Donnel close behind, and Donnel noticed how the lords with clearer Redberry cloaks – those who eschewed from Flint-marked leather and cloth – followed him closer, creating a soft barrier between their lord and those marked in Flint. The patrons of the inn were silent all the while, ever vigilant.

Gods, he thought. He looked around for a moment before continuing, searching for a Bolton or Redberry banner somewhere. It was custom to bear a banner of some sort indicating the ruling house of the lands, but he found none on the walls. Instead, above the fireplace, he saw an oaken shield. In the centre of the shield were the same two eyes staring outwards. Emblazoned beneath were the words of the Flint's of Widow's Watch: Ever Vigilant.

Only when he had sat down did the eyes of the inn abate - those that were living, at least - turning back to their own meals, or turning to gaze into the roaring fire at the end of the hall. Its cracks and sputters served as the only sound save for the clanking of boots crossing the old floorboards. Hareth sat opposite him, and on either side a guard sat too, eyes roving the room and a hand resting on their steel.

Ale was brought, two thick tankards near-overflowing with an even thicker brew.

“Ale, my lords.” A Redberry guard nodded as he lowered them to the table. “Sorry, my lords, they say it’s all they serve here.”

Hareth nodded and grasped his, but Donnel drew into his cloak, bringing out several coins.

“See that everyone gets one. Locals too, that it may ease our passing. And here, these are for the landlord, for the rooms. All that are spare.” The guard nodded again and returned to the bar.

“You’d be wise I think, Lord Bolton, to keep some of your men sober tonight.” Hareth was looking down into his drink, before taking a long gulp. “A guard tonight would be a good idea.”

Donnel joined him, but slowly, glancing around them. More than one table still risked looking in their direction. He suddenly felt very obvious in his pink cloak. A white foxfur trim, and rich dyed cloth.

“These are your lands, Lord Redberry.” His voice was low, despite what he was saying. “And these your people.”

“Hmm.” Hareth looked into the fire. “In Widow’s Watch, certainly. Here, perhaps only the former, I think. These people hold to the Flints. They never quite took to Rodwell’s law.”

“Rodwell didn’t hold Widow’s Watch himself, he sent a man out to steward it.”

Hareth took another gulp, finishing half the tankard, before again meeting Donnel’s eyes.

“Redberry or Bolton, you’ll not find many banners of ours flown high out here. Flayed men or crimson berries, neither are courted among the smallfolk. They mislike the way the Flint’s were treated… They mislike your father.”

“I am not my father.”

“Well that’s so. To your health, Lord Bolton.”

The fire sputtered, spitting out sparks onto the stone grating.

To some the Redberrys were considered the youngest House in the North, having only been raised to nobility and castle in the space of a lifetime. The men sharing the inn with them now were old enough perhaps to remember their former lords in person. The way they might have walked and talked. The way they might have ruled…

For a little while Donnel pondered how out here his family was considered the usurper lords. The flayed man, a banner to oust beloved families in conquest, seizing ancestral homes and granted them to friends who had never walked its lands. The more he thought, the more he began to lose his appetite for ale. Was the story of the Flints so different to that of the Starks and Stouts?

Donnel slept poorly. The landlord had, upon seeing so many men bearing noble crests and colours, been quick to clear out the uppermost rooms and space for the entourage. For the evening, as drunk men and women began to find their way to their own homes, the inn became more akin to a barracks than an ale-house as Bolton and Redberry men began regular tours and patrols to ensure their lords slept peacefully enough, undisturbed from those who may wish them harm. From those who might resent their coming to their little town.

All through the night the winds crept in through loose roof tiles and thatchwork, blowing between wooden boards, and Donnel looked out into the room dimly lit by a covered candle, sleeping little.

When the morning had risen, Lord Redberry presented Donnel with fresh horses and some supplies to be brought sooner to the Dreadfort. He also gave over a small stack of letters and parchment.

“Mostly to be given to your maester or steward, my lord, concerning the supplies due. There is but one letter that I should have ensured you recieved last night. My apologies, it slipped my mind.”

“Letter, Hareth? What letter?”

“I'm not sure. An innocuous thing come from the Lord Norrey. I assume he is the one that serves as the Stark’s spymaster? I cannot think why else a clansman wrote to me. It came with a message for myself, insisting that I brought you the letter personally in seeing you, saying that the words would better come from me, and him, than by ‘royal missive’ in some weeks time.”

Donnel took the parchment that Hareth was handing him. It concealed several scrolls, all which had been written out, and Donnel quickly noted the ones with the Norrey’s handwriting.

“Though, Lord Bolton, I must confess myself astounded that he knew it may reach you. The Old Gods alone must have foreseen your journey.”

“In my experience Redberry, it is the nature of spymasters to leave us mere mortals bewildered. Thank you Hareth. I’ll read this during the journey north.”

“Take care, my Lord Bolton. If ever you wish to visit Widow’s Watch again, I’ll be sure to escort you to the keep.” Donnel laughed, despite himself. The town under the Widow’s Watch, and the castle were his lands. Here, he had decided last night, was a wilderness all of its own.

As Donnel’s party again began making its way across the terrain of the North, they were finally heading directly for the Dreadfort. With one of his guards guiding his horse along, Donnel began to read closely the letter that the Norrey had written him.

The Norrey had spun a story in ink, written across several pages, and not for the first time Donnel began to think fondly of their maester when he was a child – thankful that he had not ignored his lessons in reading like so many lords are prone to do. The poor old maester had been utterly terrified of his lord Rodwell, and Donnel had only ever seen the man smile when he was teaching the Bolton children. The memory made Donnel find his own smile, and for a small moment he was warmed on his horse, trotting cautiously through Northern vale and moor.

The smile turned quickly, as he read what the Norrey had written.

The Norrey had been a part of the Regent’s march to Winterfell. Partly coerced, but not entirely unwilling, the Norrey had only left the Regent’s campaign at Winterfell itself, choosing to leave them and head north to his own clan, but here he listed what he had seen with his own eyes.

Rickon had met with the Regent, choosing the North Road so he and the Regent’s party must meet, coming to intercept them outside Rickon’s castle of Brandonborough. It was, the Norrey assured, unknown as to what was discussed, but they spoke for nearly a day. It was only when the moon was high that they left their tent and continued the march to Winterfell together.

In the early light of the next day, and at the foot of Winterfell’s mighty walls, the Regent and Rickon came to a halt. Brandon Snow, formidable Brandon, stood atop the parapets, sword in hand. Several hundred Stark guards lined the walls beside him, and even from the ground it was clear that each man had a bow and arrows ready for battle.

Rickon however stepped forward, apart from the Regent’s small army, and called up. Calling not to Brandon, but to the Stark men on guard.

An accord! He proclaimed, has been met! There have been concessions and offerings made on both sides! A deal has been struck, and now is the time for conciliation and peace.
Rickon demanded that the gates be thrown open, and he and the Regent’s party allowed in.
The Regent has promised to me personally the safety of Brandon Stark and his sons. He has promised the safety of the Starks in the North, and that they may always have a place within it.

The Regent had stepped forward too – beside Rickon – and agreed to all these things. He then had carts and carriages of food and supplies brought forward. These were things Winterfell was in dire need of, Brandon Stark’s wars having bled Winterfell drier than a stone, emptier than nearly any other Northern keep.

Men of Winterfell, loyal Stark men! Open these gates! I am Rickon Stark! I was Brandon’s brother! You stand at the back of my bastard uncle. I respect your loyalty, but now you must respect my voice. I have been this castle’s steward for decades, and it is now to me that you must listen. Open these gates.

Brandon Snow began to lose control as many wished to relent. They feared getting hungry in the winter months. They feared crossing a ‘trueborn Stark’ for a bastard. They feared for the safety of Brandon Stark and his sons, the princes. They feared. Eventually even Brandon relented, lowering his sword – even he could not hold the walls alone.

Brandon descended to Winterfell’s gates and ordered them open, allowing the Hayes campaign entry to the castle – swallowing his pride for the family that denied him their name.

So Hullen stepped through the gates of Winterfell without bloodshed, ushering his own guards. Dozens stepped forward, clad in white-and-red cloaks and darkened leather armour with an emblazoned leaping dog on each chest. These were the household troops that had been marching at Hayes’ back since they left Cape Kraken.

Rickon and Hullen together oversaw the ushering in of these great carts of foods, ales, and wines brought into the keep, a fair portion also being rolled out – in plain view of all watching, that they might see Hullen’s face and banner – to Wintertown and given to the residents there. Soon each man and woman had a tear from a loaf of bread, and each saw the leaping dog of the Hayes’ family sigil and knew who to thank.

Hullen stood atop one of these carts himself, handing out loaves of bread to the people. He often threw open his arms and talked to the people, warning them of winter’s coming, warning them to stock up on food for the harsh months. Lauding the House Hayes and the new Queen Stout who offered them food and peace during winter. And Brandon Snow stood still within the gates, watching this happen. A bare sword hanging in his hand, seemingly torn, seemingly unable to move.

But then the men of Cape Kraken seized Brandon. Hullen barely watched, seemingly disinterested, while Rickon apologised again and again, following Brandon as he was dragged to the side. He struggled, and the sword was knocked from his hand. He was beaten, blows crashing into his head. A block was brought out, and Brandon Snow was lifted and dragged atop one of Winterfell’s lower interior-walls, in plain view of all the courtyard’s occupants.

He cried out – that Hullen was breaking his own promises! That Rickon was betraying his family! He was struck again for shouting, and his white cloak was ripped from his neck.

Hullen looked over as if for the first time, and loudly proclaimed that he had never agreed to any terms regarding a Stark bastard. Rickon apologised again, citing an agreement made in advance, wringing his hands and admonishing Brandon; he was no trueborn Stark. Just a bastard. That the Stark family was or would be copacetic with what was happening. A sad but necessary act, this was all.

The Stark loyalists, disarmed by food, watched uneasy, but there were too many people present to act. Though the gates had not been thrown open to the commonfolk, enough now clamoured around the food carts that no-one could cross the castle and reach Brandon if they tried. If they had wanted to – if they were willing to throw away their food and their lives – they could not stop Brandon from finally being bound as he struggled and raged against the half-dozen men who held him down.

They could only watch.

They could only watch as Brandon Snow was forced down onto a wooden block, and a rough gag forced into his mouth. A Cape Kraken man, only in his mid-twenties, raised a two-handed greatsword above his head and brought it down.

Hullen smiled from atop his cart, still handing out supplies from the south and opening a cask of Arbor Red, as Brandon Snow was beheaded to the sights and smells of cake and wine.

Donnel finished his reading. Rickon Stark was rewarded. In exchange for ensuring Hullen took Winterfell cleanly, Rickon was allowed to keep his holding of Brandonborough. He still resides often within Winterfell as ‘an advisor’, but kept on a leash so tight it might yet have belonged to the dog on the Hayes’ banner.

The Norrey wrote a small secondary missive, how Rickon was being used to parade Hullen’s mercy. ‘See here, Hayes does not strip the ancient House of Stark! Rickon lives yet, and still holds lands! Look at the mercy of the new Queen and her Regent!’

The rest, Donnel did not read.

“Traitor.”

In the growing cold of the evening, the tears running down Donnel’s cheeks were stolen by the wind and had already formed icy crystals before they hit the ground.

“The gods-damned traitor. That.. That FUCK Rickon!

The party stopped. Two-dozen riders halted, the scouts wheeling back in confusion at the sound of Donnel’s cry. Linden rode closer, one hand had gone wildly to his sword-hilt even as the other tried to keep his cloak about him. Even Marna stopped on her palfrey, eyeing Donnel with surprise. Her prince’s men stopped with her, turning at the Boltons with suspicion.

“Donnel?” Marna rode closer, leaving her entourage. The wind was buffeting them on the crest of their hill, pulling at them all as if to sweep them from the land. All of them appeared to one-another like flags billowing in the wind as their cloaks flapped and fluttered at their necks. “Donnel what is this?”

“They've killed him Marna. Brandon.” His eyes were cold, and for just a moment Marna’s own seemed warm by comparison.

“Snow?”

“They beheaded him in the middle of Winterfell.” Donnel’s eyes stung with icy tears, and his hand crushed the letter it held. “Rickon’s bent the knee to the Regent, and they murdered Brandon to sign the pact. Fuck! FUCK!”

Donnel wheeled in his saddle for something to throw, something to hurl at the ground in rage, all he could find was his sword and he drew it, the fine castle steel singing as it glided from his scabbard, and Donnel stood there with it pointed at the sky like a fool. His horse reared and he rose with it, turning about at all his men, looking, looking for a fight, to fight, to kill.

Marna’s approaching face called him back. Her sharp features rising up from her billowing hair, like streamers in the wind, like so many cloaks in their storm.

She rode close to him, bringing her horse beside him, even as his sword pointed to the stars that were now beginning to shine in the evening light. Her voice was low, like the soft cracking of ice.

“Then we’ll kill them brother. Every last one. And we’ll hang their skins from our walls. Flay them, until they’re nothing.”

Her face was impassive, her eyes like chips of ice, like milkwater, and Donnel’s fire was snuffed out in her cold. Inside, he could feel something else begin. Something he could not name.

“Yes.” Donnel was lost in her eyes, and felt for the first time something burning cold in his heart.
“We’ll kill them all.”
He turned his horse forward, looking over to the horizon.
"Every last one."

Marna turned her horse with his, the Lord Bolton and his sister. Just on the crest of the next hill lay the fortress of the Dreadfort, the Bolton banners hanging proudly from its walls. Enshrined in the soft pink material, the flayed man seemed to dance in the winds.

They were home.

Alfred_Khamidullindreadfort.jpg

The Dreadfort; Home

The fire in the dark room had almost died again, and suddenly Lucias became acutely aware of a chill in the air.

His father hadn't seemed to have noticed.

They sat there for a while, his father lost in thought and Lucias dwelling on the story thus far.

“What do you think of Marna?” Lucias was mildly startled at the question.

“Aunt Marna?”

“Yes. You were always far closer to her than I. She likes you, always has.” Donnel’s looked at Lucias for a few moments. “You have her eyes. Not hers of course, but they’re the same. ‘Bolton ice’.”

“You think she takes to me because we have the same eyes?”

“No. It’s because you’re both cold-hearted.”

Lucias was put out. After a while he stood and gathered a few logs to keep the fire burning. As they caught, hot air began to fill the room once again.

“Lucias, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that.” Donnel was looking away from the fire, hiding his face. “You know what she’s like. What she’s always been like.” He rubbed his temples and looked at Lucias again.
“I'm sorry. It’s her, not you. You remember what she was like when she stayed here.”

“I remember a lot from that time.”

“I'm sure. The next few chapters, I expect, will be far more familiar to you.”

Lucias returned to his seat.

“I’m not the only cold-hearted member of this family.”

“Lucias…”

“You said it father, not I. It wasn't I who flayed these skins, was it?” He pointed up to the walls, to the skins that sat there like tapestries or embroideries might in a southron hall. Open mouths in eternal screams and empty sallow faces dangling with only iron pins to keep them in place.

Donnel leaned back in his chair again, and ran his fingers across his face. When he didn't move for some minutes Lucias began examining him closer. It was Marna that taught him to study a person…

“I'm sorry about Brandon Snow. I know he was your friend then…” He trailed off, unsure.

Donnel lifted his head, examining his son in return.

“Thank you Lucias. His death… it changed things. For me.”

Right. Another update, another chapter. How do you like the title? I honestly thought including it in the end bit with Marna and Donnel was a bit much, otherwise it would've rounded the chapter. 'Arc words' and all that.

Speaking of Marna and Donnel, I bet some of you are wondering if I subscribe to the infamous 'Bolt-On' theory.
The answer is a resounding yes - though I'm honestly unsure if I'll like the Boltons more because of it... probably less. But it'll be amazing when it comes out.
Anyway, obviously I can't have Donnel as - spoiler free - an active participant of the Bolt-On theory. Those who really know the theory however may point to infamous figures like 'Brandon Ice-Eyes' and suppose that the figure who the theory discusses can move about, not limited to 'the Bolton'.
In a possibly unrelated note, I hope you like how I portray ice-cold Marna, who dotes on Lucias who has the same eyes as her.

Now, story. I don't know how to properly explain to you all quite WHY the capital of the North got moved to Moat Cailin.
Well, actually I can. Hullen Hayes was Queen Stout's regent. And he happily - in-game - decided to award himself Winterfell and its grand duchy. There's no clearer way to write about it, or portray it in story.
Hullen gave himself Winterfell. Ho-ly-hell.

What's next. Oh, Rickon! Yeah, he knelt. He didn't have his barony of Brandonborough revoked, and ended up actually on the Queen's council as an advisor! Talk about traitors! Gotta love it when the story comes together! For ages I didn't know how I could possibly portray that, and considered fudging things and having him flee south with the princesses! But that wouldn't have worked anyway.

Let's see... Brandon Snow. He died, but I can't remember how. He was killed, but I think it was actually because he demanded a trial by combat after being imprisoned after the war. Despite being a freakin' master-swordsman he was old and killed by some jumped-up sellsword. I prefer my version. More gravitas. Man, I liked Snow. He's awesome in the canon - cutting three arrows from a weirwood tree, he offered his brother Torrhen Stark that he - Brandon Snow - would sneak south into the Riverlands and kill the three dragons - one arrow for each.
How badass is that!?

What's next... Oh yes, last but not least, the princesses! They fled into exile. We'll see their return to the narrative later, I'm sure.

Ok that's it! Exposition-heavy, apologies.
Happy reading all.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-27_0-45-39.png
    upload_2019-2-27_0-45-39.png
    315,8 KB · Views: 13
  • upload_2019-2-27_0-50-4.png
    upload_2019-2-27_0-50-4.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 16
  • upload_2019-2-27_0-53-24.png
    upload_2019-2-27_0-53-24.png
    1,6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The title was excellent. Indeed I got quite a shiver in this paragraph:

"“The North Remembers.” Marna Bolton at Donnel’s left, her eyes colder than the snows. “Every slight, every insult, every word, we’ll remember them all and extract our revenge. By my words, by your knives, and by a thousand Northern swords. You’ll do this, brother, with me at your back, or else find in me a deadlier enemy than any Flint.”"

Skagos
Skagos

Thousands of men were crossing the North. Riders from near every lordship across the North had answered a missive sent from Moat Cailin; the army held beyond the Neck had been finally allowed to pass beneath the towers, and must needs be collected. This was some time past, and from the Dreadfort’s thick windows, Donnel could see riders carrying Bolton banners lead thousands of men to their homes in Weeping, in Etherington, and Overton.
These were the soldiers who had fought in the War of Snow and Sand. They had marched under Stark banners and returned to see instead the gold-and-red stripes of Queen Stout hanging when they returned. To see stone wolves' heads chipped away from the walls and left to collect moss in the dirt.

Among them was the bright orange cloak of Lord Harlon Hornwood. He had come and talked at length with Donnel, and together they lamented the new state of affairs. Donnel had not kept the man long – he had his own keep to return to, after nearly half a year in the south – but before Harlon had left, Donnel had been sure to discuss the reception Cellador Hornwood had brought them when they last visited.

“Do you bear us ill-will, my lord?”

“For you and your House? No. You may thank the diplomacy of your lady-wife for that, she reminded me well that you are both a loyal and good man. Cellador, however… you may wish to keep him away from others of the Dreadfort. Not that he ever attended any of my formal invitations or lordly feasts before.”

Harlon had recounted the journey beneath the towers of Moat Cailin, walking beneath the gates of its great black curtain-wall. How all the nobility was called out, and brought to swear their oaths of fealty, even as the many men walked onwards, wondering at the strange flags that now newly flew.

Donnel was now pondering those Harlon had described. He had himself seen Morgan Hayes when he swore the same oath to the Queen – no doubt he was remaining by his daughter’s side in counsel and to help her rule. Another man was named, bearing a personal banner of black, with a white cliffside adorned with a whiter tower upon it. This, Donnel took to be ‘Cayn Clifftower’ though Donnel little knew the man. Harlon reckoned him to be a bastard of House Flint, having earned a cadet branch for valour as a commander during the war of Salt and River. If so, then the man had been granted his own House, only to betray his own family.

“Rebels, bastards, and traitors. These are the rulers of the North now.”

It was these thoughts that Alleras the Dornishman interrupted, as the Dreadfort’s maester knocked on the door of the lord’s solar and entered, the clinking of his heavy maester’s chain ringing gently through the stone room.

“My lord, you called?” Donnel did not turn, but kept his eyes fixed on the great shadow of hundreds of passing men still moving beneath the Dreadfort’s walls.

“I did. I wish a letter to be sent to Winterfell.”

Alleras stepped through, closing the heavy oak door behind him, and drew a chair at the lord’s Council table. From the depths of his labyrinthian maester’s robes and some unknown pocket, Alleras drew a bottle of ink, parchment, and a small quill, readying all and waiting patiently. Donnel broke his gaze at last and stepped away from the window, the wind’s soft howls and scratching at the glass trying to call him back. He unclasped his pink cloak from his neck and set it down on the table beside him, sitting heavily into the lord’s chair.

“To the lord of Winterfell. The lord of the Dreadfort requests that the bones of Brandon Snow be brought to the Dreadfort, that he may be granted a good and true funeral.” Donnel’s mouth curled downwards. “Better in our hands, than those who murdered him.”

Alleras’ pen stopped scratching a moment, and Donnel glanced at the letter to ensure he was being wise in what he did and did not include.

“Is that all, my lord?”

“For the moment. Where is Lucias? How are his lessons progressing?”

“Last I saw, my lord, he was still breaking his fast in the great hall. His lessons are going well, my lord. He's recently shown a new interest in the politics of the North, as they stand.”

"That so? You think he's picking this up from the Council's meetings?"

"Possibly, my lord. I'd also suggest that he may be spending time with your sister Marna, and that she's taken a shine to the boy."

“Hm. Thank you maester.” Donnel stood, picking his cloak back up and swinging it about him, again clasping it to his neck. Alleras had also stood, hoisting his chain around him, the differently coloured metals twinkling alternately in the firelight. Silver blinking, black-iron reflecting nothing, and gold sparkling brightly. Alleras bowed and turned to leave. Donnel followed shortly after, striding through the halls of the Dreadfort, his mind trapped elsewhere.

Maester_link_by_timdurning.jpg

The maester's chain, each link forged of a different metal denoting a different subject mastered.​

It had been some few months since Donnel and Marna had returned to the Dreadfort, and the year 8029 was drawing to a close. The Northern lords were drawing interest in the coming of a Great Northern Council in near-half a year’s time in which a new King in the North might be chosen from those who attended, and ravens were flying fast and furious all across the North, daring the icy winds to deliver frost-marked letters at all hours. The Dreadfort was no less busy; Lord Dirk – Donnel’s marshal – was oft training Donnel’s household guard in combat, and the rookery saw as much traffic as the castle's gates.

Lord Bolton and Lord Manderly had continued their alliance and ravens from White Harbour were a common enough occurrence. So too were ravens come from the Last Hearth; though Lord Umber had not joined a formal alliance, he had sworn the same oath as Donnel and Harrion, and again swore to support the Stark’s for the King in the North when the time came. Though Garris Mollen, lord of Dawnforest, was certainly not as communicative with the others – fearing that due to his proximity to Winterfell, his ravens might easily be intercepted – the Norrey more than made up for Mollen’s absence with his own prolific nature. The Norrey was often travelling across the North, and often boasted that if Hayes’ agents were attempting to intercept his letters that they’d have a hard-enough time predicting where his next letter might be sent from, or destined for! It was the Norrey who suggested that Lord Harrion Reed of Greywater Watch should be written to and invited into this growing alliance, this Stark faction in the North.

The Reeds had as much cause as any in the North to despise the Hayes and Stouts. The Hayes had sacked keeps sworn to Greywater Watch during their rebellion, and even now threatened the sovereignty of the Neck; after all, no crannogmen could enter the North without passing through the new seat of the Crown of Winter, Moat Cailin. Lord Reed had written back to Donnel, glad of the invitation. He was, he politely reminded Donnel, Donnel’s cousin by law and swore to serve the Starks in the coming Council.
It was also through Lord Reed that the faction learned of the recent fates of the Starks; that they had successfully travelled south to Darry, and that Brandon Stark was alive and well when he passed south of the Neck. Reed men were still now riding with him to the castle of King Deremond Darry of the Riverlands.

Between these conspiring lords, they all began to wonder what tricks Hayes might plan to disrupt the event. For one, he declared that the Council would be called in Winterfell, the debates held within the shadow of his existing power. All agreed that this would be a mostly-futile attempt to either intimidate those lords unsure, or else showcase his existing powers. Surely, Lord Umber had written, this would only serve to remind all the North as to the fate of the Starks?

Donnel had laughed and shared the letter with his wife. “The Lord Umber has written more to us than I think I've heard him speak in my lifetime!”

Donella Bolton, neé Fisher, was with much of the rest of the household in the lord’s hall. The Lord Hornwood's early arrival at the Dreadfort had called Donnel away before he could eat, but he joined his family now. Entering the hall Donnel walked the long distance to the table, stopping before his wife and kissing her on the cheek. Donella and Donnel were a match made by Rodwell at a time when he struggled to succeed in many more advantageous matches due to his wearing reputation. It was fair, Donnel supposed, to say that they grew to love one-another in time.

He sat beside Lucias, who turned up at him with a half-smile, and Donnel smiled back. Opposite him Marna sat, without looking up, nibbling on the food that had been served. The Dreadfort was not so poor that hot sausages, eggs, and ale could not be served every morning.

“How is Serra?” Donnel looked to Donella, the infant not present at the table.

“Well, Don. The wetnurse is caring for her upstairs. You were called away this morning, more news?”

Donella had not been overly perturbed at the news of the Stark’s overthrow, save to worry about a future war brewing. Donnel had reassured her that steps were being taken to prevent such a war… but that did not stop her worrying, and Marna hardly helped matters. He smiled, glad of no bad news, and answered.

“Lord Hornwood returning the soldiers who marched south. All is well for now.”

“Good.” Marna kept her eyes on her plate, or stared with disinterest down the length of the Dreadfort's hall. Even here, in the Dreadfort, she kept behind Stark colours. “They’ll be needed soon enough to retake Winterfell.”

Donella by contrast kept to her Fisher colours, a bright blue shawl cloaked her usual clothing. She and Marna seemed different in nearly every way; she was kind where Marna cruel, patient when Marna was curt, warm when Marna exuded cold. To Donnel's mind she was the thawing of spring, where Marna brought the winter storm.

“If they’re needed at all. If the Council brings the Starks back to the North, then they can reclaim Winterfell too after all.”

Donella and Marna had shared little except sparring words since she first welcomed Marna to the Dreadfort when Donnel had returned from White Harbour. Donnel recalled Marna’s icy reply as clear as day; ‘You need not ‘welcome’ me here, Fisher. This is where I was born.’

In that moment Donnel had been too angry at Brandon’s fate to notice the slight, but Donella still had not forgiven her for her words, nor Donnel for failing to intervene. Marna too, continued to hold a grudge against her brother; Marna had insisted that her Stark guards must be found a good place to stay within the Dreadfort, that they may continue to guard her. Donnel had curtly refused her little pack of wolves and assigned men from his own household guard. Two slights, and the silent wrath of two northern women.

Unlike their grudges, Donnel’s own anger from that night had thawed over time. Donella would forgive him, Donnel knew. Marna however kept to grudges older than some wierwoods.

Letters continued to fly across the North, carried by relentless ravens. Brandon Stark’s last words to Donnel continued to ring in his ears.

Keep the North secure. Keep it defended. Had he failed him? Late in the darkening nights Donnel would stare into the fire, wondering what he could have done to avert Brandon’s fate. Few letters reached Darry and brought news of the Brandon’s health, and that of his children, leaving Donnel with the assurances of Lord Reed to comfort his guilt. Brandon Stark was alive, at least, though it was unsure whether he would be allowed to return to the North for the Great Council. How much stronger would the pro-Stark faction be if Brandon could speak for his own case? Or, as the Norrey and Lord Mollen feared, would he undercut his own arguments? A stalwart reminder of unpopular and pointless wars, and of bankruptcy?

One of the few good pieces of news that Winterfell had sent out was of peace. Lord Hayes, in his role as regent, had negotiated a peace with Dorne. They accepted easily, it seemed, no longer having concerns that the Stark prince would claim their crown.

Donnel was interrupted from one of these evening contemplations again and as usual by his maester Alleras. The man seemed to sleep as little as Donnel, and he could often hear the Dornishman's chain clinking in some corridor out of sight.

“My lord? A letter from Winterfell, Rickon Stark has replied.”

“Well?” Alleras’ response was to step through the door and deliver the letter into Donnel’s hands.

To the honourable Donnel Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort.

I recognise your request for Brandon Snow’s bones, but you are not his family. As the last Stark in the North I shall be burying my uncle Brandon.

I wish you comfort in the winter years.
Rickon Stark, Advisor to the Queen in the North.

Alleras waited patiently for Donnel’s reply.

“Paper, maester. And ink.”

“You wish for me to send a reply, my lord?”

“I shall, but this one I can write myself.”

To Rickon Stark, advisor to the Regent of the Queen in the North

If, as a Stark, you shall bury Brandon, then shall I be able to visit his resting place in Winterfell’s crypts? Would I go then, to his statue and to return his scabbard to his sword there? Or do you mean to give him a grave in Brandonborough?

You were ever quick to call him a bastard, and not a true-born Stark. Since he is of no true family in the North, let him go to those who loved him as if he were.

Donnel Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort

“There. See this sent.”

“As you wish, my lord. I have another letter here, however, that I thought best deliver. A strange one, a scruffy, tawny raven of all things.”

Donnel read this one too, and read it twice in the evening fugue.

Lords in the North.

I, Varamyr of Skagos, have united the tribes of Skagos. I, Varamyr the brave, have bested Hather Crowl the tyrant and declare myself lord of ALL Skagos.

I lead the Skagosi. We are the stoneborn, and it was the Starks the old Skagosi knelt to, a thousand years ago. It was to the Starks we swore our ancient oaths! In the heart of our wild forests, with wierwood faces older than men! Beneath ancient stones with carved runes as old as the Children of the Forest! But it is no Stark that rules the North now!

This child Queen does not know our stones or our stories! Does not know our forests! We are the stoneborn, and we swear no oaths to her, or any Northern lord! We are free, and we honour our ancestors once more!

I, Varamyr Stoneborn, have rebuilt the ships! The stone-fleet is here again, and we shall sail from our stony shore! Fear the stone-men! Fear the Skagosi!

Fear Varamyr the Rebuilder!

upload_2019-3-3_16-54-11.png

The Skagosi ships rebuilt!

Donnel threw down the parchment onto the lord’s council table in the Dreadfort. He met the eyes of all his councillors, before sitting himself in the lord’s chair once more, waiting for a response.​

As was Lord Dirk’s custom, he spoke first, giving a bark of laughter.

“Ha! The Skagg boy has a point! How much of the North knelt only to Stark rule?”

“Be serious Lord Dirk, this is a threat.” Edwyn Thelly was the baron of Fleischer’s Keep, a castle close to the Dreadfort. He had served as the castellan and steward of the Dreadfort under Rodwell’s rule, and Donnel had kept him in his position when he became the lord. Edwyn was a shrewd man, and patient in all things, with wise counsel to offer. “This ‘Varamyr’ wishes to emulate the reavers of Skagos, and you should know that what writings we have of old Skagos they near-rivalled the ironborn in terrorising the eastern shores.” Edwyn stroked at his beard, tilting his head up at the roof. “Widow’s Watch is vulnerable, and they would have little trouble sailing up the Weeping Water. Indeed I could imagine them attempting an attack, if not against Weeping, then Ethering or Overton with ease enough.”

Lord Dirk shuffled uncomfortably in his seat for a moment. Donnel watched them both, then turned to his spymaster Artos Redberry.

“Widow’s Watch has a reputation of guarding against threats from the sea.”

Artos nodded slowly.

“True, my lord. But you saw yourself that my brother’s rule over the people is… testing. The people are slow to embrace him as their lord I fear. Threats of Skagosi raiders and reavers can likely do little to help the situation.”

“Oh, Redberry, call them Skaggs. They don’t have enough culture to be called ‘Skagosi’. You make them sound like some exotic Essosi city, riding unicorns and creating arts. All they have are pelts and clubs, ask any trader who dares their shores. They’re cannibals and reavers, nothing more.” Lord Dirk still looked unimpressed.

“Actually,” Artos smiled, “I hear they do still ride unicorns. Such numbers are hard to verify, but assuming that they did mass an army… it would be several thousand. Men, not unicorns, of course. But, my lords, I do not think we have an immediate cause to fear Skagosi – sorry Lord Dirk, Skagg – raids. Not just yet, at least.”

“News, Artos?”

“Yes, my lord. I’ve heard word that the Skagos fleet has certainly been rebuilt, and that they've used it to launch an invasion of the Karhold.”

“The Karhold? I thought the passage to Skagos was best done through the Seal Shore, that’s Umber land.”

“Indeed, lord Thelly, though I suppose when one has the ships they may land them anywhere they choose. And it appears that ‘Varamyr’ has chosen the Karhold.”

“Unsurprising, really.” Lord Dirk interrupted again. “It was I who led Bolton and Umber men against them when they so recently raided the Seal Shore. They must not yet have recovered from such wounds.”

Artos smiled a half-condescending smile, and Edwyn Thelly smirked with him. Dirk ignored them both and looked to Donnel who was quiet in thought. Eventually the others saw this, and began to wait patiently for Donnel to speak. When at last he di, it was slow, and cautious.

“Though, of course, I worry for our Northern cousins in the Karhold and Seal Shore… I am wondering how this affects the Council and our plans for it.” He looked up expectantly before continuing. “Had the attack come against the Umbers, we would be compelled to act in their defence, to ensure their strength was kept ready against Winterfell. But the Karstarks are no friends to the Dreadfort, let alone our allies, and neither were they friends to the Starks in recent years. We cannot even for sure say that they would vote with us come the Great Council.”

“I remember well, my lord,” Edwyn Thelly’s eyes flickered mischievously, “That your father long entertained thoughts of attacking the Karhold, ‘returning the lands to the red fold’ as he put it. All of the Karhold used to belong to the Red Kings, stripped from them by the Starks.” He smiled, a pleasant smile that betrayed little of his suggestion, even as the other lords measured their looks between him and Donnel. “Why not let the Skaggs attack the Karhold? Weaken it? It bleeds their strength from opposing you it come to a future war, and prevents an enemy at your back.”

“Not to come out in support of the notion necessarily,” Artos surprised Donnel by speaking on the matter, “but it may well put a requirement on Winterfell to intercede. If they are forced to deploy their soldiers in the field to stop the Skaggs, then it may sap them of some of their own strength.”

“That’s a mistake.” Lord Dirk looked to Donnel. “Hayes would use that as a show of military strength in the lead up to the Northern Council. ‘Look how many men I can muster’! He’ll use it to intimidate lords into voting for his Queen in the Council. You and I know that calling his banners is the surest way to win the vote.”

“You would say that, Lord Dirk.” Edwyn smiled again, his fingers delicately steepled. “Can you picture politics beyond the realm of swords?”

“Careful Thelly. Perhaps if your castle held as many swords as it did silks-”

“Enough.” Donnel did not need to slam his hand on the table, but he nonetheless mimed his hand coming down to it. His word had always been enough to command silence, and his council complied, retreating, coming to look upon their lord patiently. Donnel’s hand danced on the table for a while, running his fingers up and down in thought.

“If the Northern lords see their new Queen unable to put down or deal with a Northern revolt… they must surely dismiss her as a candidate, yes?” There were nods around the table. “Ugh. The matter leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It seems most expedient then to let the Skaggs raid for now. We’ll call up men, have them patrol the shores and keep an eye out for reavers. Let us hope then that this weakens the Hayes at the Great Council. There, that finishes things. Thank you, lords, for attending me. I shall here end this meeting.”

Juan_Carlos_Barquet_Skagos.jpg

Skagos; a cold and bitter land with a restless people.​

Another few days passed in the warmth of the Dreadfort, even as Bolton men began to take up patrols and postings along the shores of the Weeping Water. From out of the depths of the ever-growing cold came a carriage with the direwolf of House Stark painted grey on its doors. Donnel himself stepped out from the Dreadfort to inspect it; the carriage itself was poor, painted over in service to House Stark, and clearly not part of their royal holdings. Its driver was a man of Wintertown, clearly uncomfortable having ridden all the way out to the Dreadfort, and seemed keen to be on his way home.

When Bolton guards threw open the doors however, they were surprised to see the casket and bones of Brandon Snow inside.

For the first time in many nights, Donnel smiled.

Lucias walked to one side of the room, glancing up and down at where several flayed skins, Bolton trophies, were hung against the walls. At last he stopped, reading the small engraved plaque which identified who each skin belonged to.

“Here, Grith Marodr, Skagosi reaver captain. So, father, you did attack the Skaggs in earnest?”

“Check the dates, Lucias, that was done many years after the time I am telling you about. Reavers who came long after the Skaggs were driven back to their islands.”

“So you really let them reave the Karhold? Did you not worry how the Karstarks might react?”

“I did. Later. They still haven’t forgiven us.”

Lucias left the skin where it was and returned to his seat before the fireplace.

“I remember Edwyn Thelly. Clever man, and he always let me talk in your council meetings.”

“And where were you in that particular council meeting, hmm?”

“As I recall I was spending time with Aunt Marna.”

“Yes, it was about that time, as I was about to discover.”

So, another err, week, another update.
I honestly think a lot of this needs updating. A lot of boring exposition here.
Let's see though.

The Skagosi ships were rebuilt! The picture above is one I recreated I'm afraid and not 'an original', but I can swear that it really happened.
Actually the truth of Skagos is a little more complicated. Varamyr (a landless lowborn Skagosi) began a peasant revolt against the lord Hather Crowl. At some point this revolt left the islands of Skagos and raided the Last Hearth - and I drove them back to their islands, thinking the actual lords of Skagos would finish them off.
They didn't. Instead this Varamyr somehow won their peasants revolt! The result of that was the overthrow of Lord Crowl and replacement with 'Lord Varamyr'.
'Now hang on,' I hear you cry, 'that's not how peasant revolts work!' Well no, it isn't. Turns out this is some other Varamyr who comes into power in the wake of the peasant's revolt. Some other Varamyr who also unites all the other Skagosi lordships, creates for himself the High Lordship of Skagos, rebuilds the fleet and then declares war on the Karhold.
All within about three years or so.
So, you know, I prefer my version. Makes Varamyr seem a little more dangerous than just a lucky progression of coincidences - but isn't that the story of every CK2 AAR?

Anything else? Fun fact about Cayn Clifftower: though he features in my notes, and his name is very distinctive, I have no idea where he came from.
Who the hell is he? I'm sure he existed, but I could not tell you how and why! 'Clifftower' isn't a name of a dynasty that appears in the AGOT citadel mod, across any culture! It's not a generic dynasty, nor a cadet branch!
So why does this Cayn just appear one day in my notes, circled as a prominent Hayes supporter? Was he the lord of something? I have no idea! So I decided to write him into the story anyway. Captain of the Queen's personal guard. Oops. Spoiler.

Anyway, happy reading all. The next update's half-written already.

Last edited:
The business with the body of Brandon Stark is nicely done, and gives some emotional heft to the post. The news of the Skeggs is likewise intriguing. I do worry though that Donnel at this time may have been underestimating his foe. We haven't seen give serious thought to what the knaves in Winterfell may yet be doing. I smell treachery.