• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The three gentlemen of Al-Andalus
Civilizing the lands of Faris

And so, after a period of three months of continous hard work, the Andalusians once again conveyed to exchange their experiances and their impressions to the matters at hand within Samarqand and the Empire overall, and collecting any news they heard from their respective homelands.Ibn Khaldun spoke of the state of the Persians, who for the time being, are gaining a better momentum within the Empire thanks to the decrease in taxes by the Khan's edict and the appintment of Persian walis and Imams instead of Mongoloids or Arabs.Al-Rindi however was more intrested in the vaults of knowledge locked in Samarqand,most likely raided and captured from Persia, which he had the chance to view.He decided to appoint some calligraphists to copy the works though he was also pleased that Ibn Khatib had purchased printing presses, on their way from the Ghonzou corridor,which were to arrive shortly, though the poet held some news for the Khan.The three men approached the Palace, and requested an audience with the Khan to facilitate their new and profound developments that hopefully, would benefit him somewhat.

The Latin Envoys and others

timur15.jpg

Timur nodded his head in approval at the Ragusan's answer as to both the cannons and trade with Rus. It would be incredibly valuable to have such a man employed in his service.

Young man, your answers please me. I have an endless supply of iron, copper, tin, and the like coming in from the mountains of this land and Persia. All that must be done is the construction of facilities here in order to produce their great engine of war. To have you, Master Kristitelj, as chief artificer of these guns would be most excellent. In return, I will be happy to pay you and you cousin, provide your housing, along with the workers and materials you need. I am also glad that your lord also is ready to end trade with the Horde. This shall do much for both the peace and prosperity of the East and the West, ha. *smiles*

At this time, Cheku and two guards entered the audience room and whispered to Timur. The Great Amir arose and had the Latins ushered out to continue their conversation and negociations with Cheku, while Timur welcomed the lastest arrivals at Samarkand. To think that the Sultan had sent one of his own sons as an envoy was certainly a great honor to Timur.

A salam alaikum, son of Hudenvendigar, strongest of the western ghazi lords. It is a great honor to recieve to high an envoy as yourself. I say to you that all the necessities and luxuries of my palace and my city are opened to you and your men.

As to the words of the letter, I dicated to my scribe only the truth. True words need no flourishes or flatteries. Shall we sup first as I can see you and your party are sore tiredor shall we talk of the matters mentioned in our letter to the Sultan?

Nikitaras.jpg

Yakub, son of the Sultan Murad offered the Khan a deep nod of respect.

"Before we sit down to talk and drink, I should like to present a gift to you in light of our shared Faith, as offered by my father, Sultan Murad. It is the prayer mat that my father's father, Sultan Orhan prayed upon before his great victory outside the walls of Nicaea.

hatsanat%FD-ismail.jpg

Then, with a smile, Yakub bowed his head once more to the great Khan of Khans.

"And now, it will be an honor and a pleasure to speak and dine with you. My father has given me the solemn responsibility and authority of crafting an honorable accord between our two great peoples. A task I am sure, will prove fruitful, considering how much we have in common.

With that, Yakub allowed the great Khan of Khans to take the reins of the conversation.

The Osmanli Embassy

timur15.jpg

The Great Amir smiled as the rug was presented. He had not expected such a grand gift as this and this further improved his opinion of the Turks. Timur thanked Yakub and then clapped his hands loudly. An unumbered horde of servants appeared carrying plates and dishes of chinaware and silver full of lamb, beef, dumplings, etc along with large jugs of water and wine. The young sons of Jahangir, Muhammad Sultan and Pir Muhammad, were ushered in and joined in the feast. Timur reclined upon his cushions and spoke to Yakub, whom he had invited to sit to his right.

How are things in the west? I have in my court now three men of Al-Andalus and their country is now a vassal of the infidel. Surely that shall not happen in your realm, for as I have heard, the Osmanli have maintained their warrior blood and even have the Christian slave-soldiers that fight so well for the Sultan. I am always one to be intrested by such military innovations. Tell me, how is it that this Christians are made so devoted to the Sultan?

Timur listened and then started to drink wine, which he believed improved his mind for bargining and conversation. Though most Muslims would never partake in the fruit of the vine and some of the Turks were indeed shocked to see Timur, the great Islamic king of the East, doing so, he took no notice. Instead he began to speak of the matters that he wished to settle with the Osmanli.

I am glad that the Sultan sent his own son, for now that we speak of important business, I know that I speak to one who knows the mind of the Sultan. First, I must ask whether Edrine is friendly with the Black Sheep Turks of Mosul or those bandits in Baghdad or with those princes in Persia who still fight me. I have heard rumors that some of these men flee to your lands and tell lies against me. I am sure this cannot be so, but I have been wrong on such things before. Also, how does the Sultan view the Golden Horde and its Khan. He once was my protege and I did aid him in retaking his throne, but such a man is certainly ambitious and threat to both my and the Osmanli northern flank. Why, in my younger days, the Hordes of Rus regularly invaded Armenia and even took Tabriz for a time. This cannot be allowed to happen again... don't you agree. That is why I am asking all who trade or wish to trade with my empire to end their traffick with the Golden Horde by the end of next year. That way, the savages and their Khan shall be starved in their barren wasteland and be a threat to no one.

Last edited:
Miran Shah and the Voice

timur.gif

Miran Shah had settled into his office and his new life at Kandahar. He had learned much of his governing skill from his father and it paid off. To crown his achievements, Miran held party at his palace and feasted with both the civic leaders of Kandahar and their cousins, the Pashtun chiefs and amirs, of the surrounding countryside. Miran smiled knowing that such spectacles always awed the nomad and tribal leaders, as Timur did so well at Samarkand. Miran added to this by a display of fireworks as the moon rose over the city. The people were greatly amazed by such a sight, as they had never seen such things, and some children ran into their houses to their mothers, fearing some evil was attacking the skies above the city. The guests at the palace cheer the fireworks and continued feasting and praising their new governor. Most importantly, the Pashtun pledged participate Miran's planned invasion of India. Miran Shah smiled at this and praised the chiefs as men of faith and action and that in the spring of the coming year he would lead them forth to "slay the heathens and free the pious men of Hindustan."

After this, Miran began to unwell and his head hurt eventhough he had had no wine. He couldn't help but to bid his guests good night and go to bed, guessing that something he had eaten did not agree with him. As he dosed off, suddenly a clear, deep voice rang out in the darkness.

Miran Shah, son of the wicked Timur-i-lenk, the bloodly lord of Samarkand, rise up!

Miran sat up straight in his bed...

Who dares speak of my father in this way! Come forth so that I may slay you with my bare hands, foul...

Miran stopped in mid-sentance because he saw no one. He rose and went to the window, but the street below was empty, except for a cat. A strong gust of wind blew through the window and the voice spoke again.

You fool! You shall not find me in the street or in this room. Why do you protest my curses of your father? He has banised you to this place, surely you know. This is not a position of prestige and your little trip to Hind will just confirm to the old bastard at Samarkand that you are nuts! Where is this army with which you will fight in Hindustan?

Well... um, I am training some chosen men of the city, and there is my guard, and the tribes have pledge themselve... Wait a second! Why am I talking to you? You curse my father, call me a fool, and piss on my plans of conquest. Did Shaitan send you to pester me, voice?

No, silly Miran! I am your friend... your only trustworthy friend. I will get you what you want and I will help you revenge yourself on your father, but an ill prepared invasion of India is not the way. First, you must get yourself appointed governor of a richer province with more people... with better arms. Somewhere in Persia would do well. But first, you must make the most of your power, not here in this back water, but in Samarkand. The old Chancellor is dead and you must be the new one! Do not linger here. There is nothing to be gained.

I still don't know what I should listen to you. I don't even know what you are.

Fear not, you shall believe me when Timur is dead and you are the ruler of the world. HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! *echoes

Miran Shah stood before the window for a long time after that and then returned to bed. By noon the next day, he and his household were on the road back to Samarkand.

Last edited:
Nikitaras.jpg

At first, Yakub was quite content to indulge in the dining. And though some of those in his party may have looked askance at the drinking of wine...Yakub himself was an intellectual and worldly young man, to whom extremism did not come naturally. Quite unlike his own brother, Bayezid.

At length however, the conversation turned inevitably to the politics that his father had sent him to discuss. Pausing for a moment to consider his response, Yakub turned a little on his cushion to more fully regard Timur before answering,

"It is difficult to discuss the West without having seen it for themself. In much the same way as your ancestors were amazed at the decadence and prosperity of the Chinese or first encountered the Greek. In Europe, the Latins are a greatly populous and warlike people, fair of skin and tall of stature. They gird even their horses in iron and the greatest among them are sheathed such head to toe. Their religion and culture is almost entirely devoid of learning, but is rather directed towards the most bloodthirsty displays. For all that, they are a proud race, whose numbers extend uncountable to the black seas of the north that our most daring traders have never sailed.

"Their greatest curse is that of disunity, for there is not a single noble among their own that is content with his station or convinced of the magnificence of his lord without desiring that status for himself. Even their most humble kingdom is capable of a far more powerful display then even the Qara Konylu or the Jalaryids can muster. The Christian nations of Castille, Portugal and Aragon that were so instrumental in the subjection of Al-Andalus are only of middling size in the West. All together, they would be dwarfed in square miles by even the Black Sheep Turks. Yet their armed might, if united, could sweep the entire Moslem world. And these are by no means even in the top tier of nations.

"The Sultan's own realm is almost directly adjacent to two of their strongest powers. The Kingdom of Hungary, (hungry it is) and the 'Holy Roman Empire'. Which I assure you, is neither Holy, nor Roman, nor a true Empire. Either of these are incomparably more hostile and of greater threat then even the Golden Horde.

"This of course, brings us to the practice of Devirshmeh. In short, it is the innovation of Sultan Murad to draw this same strength from those Christian lands under our control. They comprise almost half our strength on the field of battle. Once trained and converted, they are quite willing to serve as infantry, unlike their moslem born counterparts, and perform quite ably in that manner. Without them, our presence in Europe would not be sustainable, such is the great hostility of those nations arrayed about us.

After these lengthy words, Yakub fell quiet, reaching for a glass of wine for himself with which to slate his thirst. He realized that all other petty conversation around the Khan and the Sultan's son had grown silent, perhaps waiting for him to continue.

"In regards to Baghdad, Mosul and the Rus...The Sultan is of the opinion that the true strength to resist the Christians cannot be managed until the Islamic states of the East have formed a true League of Muslim unity such as we once enjoyed under the Caliphate long past. Those that would resist such, could be rightly seen as powers more interested in seeing the triumph of our foes then of Islamic arms and should be dealt with accordingly.

The Osmanli Embassy

timur15.jpg

Timur was very interested in Yakub's description of the West. The furtherest west Timur had ever been was Tabriz, and there he had seen a few Latin traders buying the expensive goods of the Silk Road to ship home. This was his only contact with the Latins so far, through their traders. Beyond that, the great conqueror had no idea what they were like. Yakub's description of their character reminded Timur much of his own peope, the Mongols and Turks of the steppe, who, before Timur's rise to power, had spent so mcuh time killing each other for power. They too, at least in the opinion of the Arabs, had been devoid of religion and culture and devotees of bloody sports, but Timur had done much to change this. Samarkand was now becoming reknown throughout Islam as a place of learning and culture, not just a trading city. Perhaps one day he could do the same for the barbarians of Europe.

Timur then was even more pleased to heard of the Sultan's wish for a united umma and that any who would oppose the makers of such a united front were enemies just as great as the pagans of Hindustan or the Christians of the West.

So it is that Sultan Murad and I are of one mind. The politcal reunion of the umma has been my calling moving into Persia just as well as reviving the old Mongol realms In Persia, there were many atheists, heretics, and just plain greedy men who looked to only their power and pleasure instead of uniting and justly ruling after the fall of the Il-Khans. I wiped the land clean of such men and I tell you now that if the fools in Mosul and Baghdad don't submit, they shall suffer the same fate. I am happy to know that the Sultan has not go against me in this. It has even been suggested to me to ask the Caliph to come up out of Egypt and come unto Smarkand so that he may really lead the umma instead of being a puppet of the slave-Sultans of Cairo.

I see your reluctance on the issue of trade with the Horde and I realize that the Osmanli have had good relations with them for a time. Knowing this, I shall only ask that the Sultan aid me when it is time to put pressure on the Qara Konylu and the Jalaryids to join our league, our new Caliphate even. Perhaps, in return, I could propose to aid the Sultan if these unholy non-Romans or these Hungarians cause him too much trouble. I remember well the tale of Batu's great campagin again those of Hungary and his great victory. Their King had to flee to the marshes to escape the Horde. I would like to test that same nation now against my army. If Batu could do such harm to them, surely they could be conquered in one battle! *laughs deeply*

Last edited:
Yakub listened thoughtfully to Timur's words, nodding in agreement every now and then. In fact, he disagreed with the Great Khan on only one point,

"On the contrary, my father does not hold any special affection for the Golden Horde. For indeed, we have had little contact with them at all. All we know is that while they have ignored their fellow Muslims, you have shown friendship.

"Furthermore, there are territories in the Crimea where many Turkish people have come to dwell. A region that is also beset by both the Romans and the Genoese traders. The Sultan would be very interested in assuring the position of these.

"As was stated before, there are many hostile lands in the West. The only Christian people whom have shown themselves worthy of friendship so far, have been the Serbians. Just as friendship with the Ottoman Sultanate will give the Great Khan strength to face those who would oppose him, the Sultan would consider the friendship of the Khan a great strength as well. For we are perfectly positioned, in a geopolitical sense, to have no conflicting interests. Yet remain close enough to support each other.

"We believe your idea of reviving the umma to be an excellent one. And it is fitting the the greatest ruler of the West, and the greatest ruler of the East should be the ones to sign it. Then, North and South alike, will tremble."

AntonioPaulo.jpg

Paulo was just finishing preparing for his little display, as he turned to Timur Shah to answer regarding the Golden Horde, the Venetian, if he were not such a humble man might have been annoyed at the Khan but rather he deprecated himself and responded, "Magnificent Lord, it is my mistake for not explaining myself plainly. What I meant by those words was that Venice did not carry on much trade in those regions now, and that in spirit of greater cooperation with your Magnificence the Republic would happily cut off all dealings of trade with the hord by year end." Paulo looked back to his cannon and then thought of something else that seemed appropriate to add.

"Of course, the Republic in making a sacrifice such as that knows that his Magnificence Timur Shah would make kindly terms for the traders of Venice."

With that Antonio had his little enginges of war finally prepared, and motioning for Timur to come near him and watch the cannons from the rear he took a long stick that had been handed him, with a flame upon its end. And raising his other hand into the air as a warning touched the flame to the base of one of the little guns. The sound was instant and shockingly loud for such a small little thing, but its effect upon the wood shield opposite it were more impressive as the weak board shattered to pieces flying across the room. For the remaining stubbier gun Antonio quickly piled a bunch of the pieces of shattered wood together and then, moving quickly and excitedly to maintain the rapturous awe of the courtiers he came back to the small bombard, tilted its head ever so slightly upward and touched the flame again, the sound of this little gun was even louder, a deeper resounding boom and its miniature payload sailed high up in the room, nearly to the ceiling and then came down with a piercing shattering noise upon the pile of wood chunks.

"See Timur Shah, Magnificent Lord" Paulo spoke excitedly to the Khan a wisp of smoke from the gun waving behind his gloomy figure, "Imagine that plank were the walls of your enemies forteress, and the splinters an enemy navy, or his stores of grain." He blew out the torch in his hand and then bowed to the Khan, before concluding matter of factly,

"Lord, Only Venice has a combination of the long learned knowledge of how to manufacture," he emphasized the word, "safely, these weapons. We can design them to fit upon boats, or simply on carriage to oppose your enemies walls, and as you can guess the sound and smoke are much greater from these tiny displays. The real thing brings as much or more intimidation and fright as it does destructive power. The Republic will be more than glad to provide your majesty with what he sees fit to equip his armies and pledges that no other can match the quality and reliability of her guns, crafted with the finest metals from Germany and engineered by the finest metalworkers to be found in Europe."

Antonio was energized by his words and by the sound of the cannons and he looked on hopefully as he awaited a response.

Damocles said:
Yakub listened thoughtfully to Timur's words, nodding in agreement every now and then. In fact, he disagreed with the Great Khan on only one point,

"On the contrary, my father does not hold any special affection for the Golden Horde. For indeed, we have had little contact with them at all. All we know is that while they have ignored their fellow Muslims, you have shown friendship.

"Furthermore, there are territories in the Crimea where many Turkish people have come to dwell. A region that is also beset by both the Romans and the Genoese traders. The Sultan would be very interested in assuring the position of these.

"As was stated before, there are many hostile lands in the West. The only Christian people whom have shown themselves worthy of friendship so far, have been the Serbians. Just as friendship with the Ottoman Sultanate will give the Great Khan strength to face those who would oppose him, the Sultan would consider the friendship of the Khan a great strength as well. For we are perfectly positioned, in a geopolitical sense, to have no conflicting interests. Yet remain close enough to support each other.

"We believe your idea of reviving the umma to be an excellent one. And it is fitting the the greatest ruler of the West, and the greatest ruler of the East should be the ones to sign it. Then, North and South alike, will tremble."

timur15.jpg

Very well then! It is a joy to my heart to know that I and your blessed father are so much of the same mind. Draw yup a treaty concerning the things we have affirmed here today and I shall gladly sign it. The year is passing quickly and I hope soon to get word from Baghdad, Mosul, and Sarai, as to the intention of my neighbors. In the meantime I shall be invested in building up Samarkand and my new conquests in Persia. I thank yoy, Yakub, and your fellows for your pleasant company but I must now leave you. I must get my rest before I meet with the scholars from Al-Andalus in the morning. I am to understand they have important news for me. We shall speak again.

Cheku Barlas applauded the Venetian's demonstration and approached Master Paulo to complete the neogociations as Timur had proceded to his audience with the son of the Turkish Sultan.

Timur Shah is very pleased with your answer now that you have made it clear on the matter of the Golden Horde. He was also impressed with this demonstration. He has left it to me to do the hard bargining with you as to the cost of the cannons and our trade treaty with Venice. What exactly does Venice specificly want out of such a treaty?

The Concord of Samarkand​

Let it be known that the great and sovereign realms of the Ottoman Sultanate and the Timurid Horde have agreed, as muslim brothers, to sign this treaty so that the umma of old may be revived.

1) The Ottoman Sultanate, and all the heirs of Osmanli that may succeed him, agree to act in concert with the Timurid Horde and the succeeding fruit of his loins that may take over at his passing. The Timurid Horde also agrees to this fidelity.

2) While united, the two great realms shall endeavor to recreate the Umma of the past, so that the Muslim World may once more be united under the banner of the Prophet.

3) Should either the Ottoman Sultanate or the Timurid Horde find that they have been forced to declare war on another state, the other shall in no way aid or give succor to their foe, no matter what the cause. Such action will abrogate the treaty and cause great dishonor. Furthermore, each state will freely call upon the other to give aid to each other when needed.

4) Should either the Ottoman Sultanate or the Timurid Horde have war declared upon them, they have one year from the beginning of the conflict to request that the other declare war on their foe in turn. In this way, the Umma shall not be brought to an untimely end through the works of wicked men. Failure to assist our brothers in times of war shall cause this treaty to be abrogated and bring great shame upon the perpetrator of such bad faith.

May we be united under the Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him.​

Sultan Murad Hudenvenidgar of the Ghazi Court, Heir of Osman
(Timurid Signature goes here)

The three gentlemen of al-Andalus
Civilizing the lands of Faris

Once the morning prayers ended, the three gentlemen proceded from the Domed Grand Mosque of Sheik Hussan towards the Palace of Timur, the terror of Faris.They were followed by a group of six distinquished men, in different attire, symbolizing their duties.After a brief interlude, they were granted audience with the greatest conquer since Ghengis, though his high titles and magnificent treasures only slightly invoked any fear or awe in them, they had seen greater wonders in the west.

After prostrating before the Khan and providing the customary respects that had sprouted in the wake of the Mongolian invasions, the three men seated themselves on the cushions before the throne.Their followers did likewise.Ibn Khaldun broke a kind and warm smile to Timur "My lord, we come to bring you the results of our work.As you already know my Khan, you have appointed me to set up a system similar to that of the Mamaleeks of Misr (Egypt).I have already harvested a group of youths between the ages of six to twelve summers, trained in the art of war,and the fiqh of Islam and basic arithmetics and logical studies.Some have also been taught by my hand in the art of Canon casting, the fabled invention of the West.So far, the work goes by the Khaba Qawseen aw Adna, that is, very well.The children are all of Persian blood and I must say they are far better than I had expected".Ibn Khaldun called out in Persian for one of the men behind them.The man arose from his cushion and presented himself before the Khan, wearing a full military attire.Ibn Khaldun ordered him to unveil himself, the soldier did as he was told, revealing the face of a young but chisled youth with squint dark eyes, a Persian by all means. "There, before you is one of our most distinquished men in the academy".

"Great Khan of Persia, I go by the name of Yassir son of a Shirazi man and a Hamadanian woman.They were both killed by your men in Isfahan, but I hold no grudge, for any who revolt against the ruler deserve death, and that is the way of our faith.I weild the scimitar and the sheild in Allah's name and yours, I come to assert my followship , I wish to fight in your battles and conquer for Islam" he bowed slightly, in a manner that only the nobility could do, not completely submissive yet with enough respect.

Al-Rindi then spoke as the youth returned "My Khan, I have asked the treasury to begin funding the construction of the Grand Madrassa in Samarqand.Your grand Alim al-Khwarizmi has agreed with me that a time of enlightment is at hand.We have dispatched several runners to bring forth the tombs and manuscripts from the great Persian cities, lost in time.We shall keep them in your capital, so that all may benefit from the works of the old.We have also decided to build an observatory and a laboratory to begin a revival of studying the heavens and the earth around us" Al-Rindi presented the Khan with a book covered in leather and ordained with Arabic inscriptions, it held the title 'Al-Islam, the religion of mercy', the Alim smiled "Al-Khawarizmi enjoyed the book and has corrected his ways, perhaps you too?"

Then came the turn of the poet "Though I was not granted any duties by you my lord , I undertook a task myself, in the lands of the east" he clapped his hands, and the five men scrambled towards the hall, returning a few moments later carrying a large and strange contraption.Ibn Khatib ushered them to put it down "Its a printing press, I have purchased about eight from China.They will ease the work of your scribes immensly." he demonstrated by arranging the letters on the machine, and after inserting a papyrus, he pressed the plate.After a few moments, he presented the paper to the Khan, with a clean invoktion of the phrase "There is no God but God".Ibn Khatib nodded "I have news, the Manchu are marching to the Ghonzou corridor, controlled by the Turkic tribes.It is the breathing hole of the Silk Road, It may be useful to re-assert control there."

The Treaty and the Return of the Andalusians

timur15.jpg

Timur rose early in the morning to greet the scholars of Al-andalus now returned from their missions. Cheku Barlas, however, first presented the treaty the Osmanli wished Timur to agree to. A smile came to the Great Amir's face as he read each provision. It was just the thing he need to put pressure on his enemies in Baghdad, Mosul, Sarai, and perhaps Cairo. He happily signed the document and sent his greetings to Yakub along with his signature before going to his appointed audience with the men of Al-andalus.

[x] As signed by His Most Excellent Majesty, Timur Shah, Successor of Genghis Khan, the Khan of Khans, Great Amir of the Ulus Chagatai, Amir of Samarkand, Jatah and Khorezm, Conqueror of Herat, Khorasan, and Persia, etc

Timur was had great expectations of the scholars and he had not been disappointed. Ibn Khaldun looked heavily tanned from his time in the sun of Persia, but the sun had not diminished his genius. Timur smiled, showing his worn teeth to all present, as he looked upon the results of the new program such, Yassir being the greatest of them. Timur applauded the boy and spoke to him.

You and your brethern shall indeed serve Islam well and serve your lord, I, Timur Shah, well. It makes my heart glad to know that you are ready for battle. That is the first step to glory, young Yassir, the first step. Ibn Khaldun, looking upon this boy, I have no doubt that you have done you job to the highest degree. Your pay shall be doubled and make this Yassir a commander, for he is worthy to be a leader of men.

Next came Al-Rindi announcing his progress. Timur nodded at the news of the construction of the madrassa and scientific buildings, as well as the gathering of the documents. When Al-Rindi gave Timur the book, the Great Amir looked at it, pretending to know what it was, and laid it aside. Some scholarly text, he supposed.

Thank you, Qadi. Al-Khawarizmi can be a perplexing man, but I will speak with him upon this. This is a great leap foward for Smarkand. We shall soon outrank Cairo in learning if this work continues and all the sons of the East shall come here to be taught. What a blessing that day shall be!

Next came the humble poet, Ibn Khatib, to whom Timur had assigned no specific duty. Timur was amazed that the poet, on his own, had decided to go to China and return with the strange device that now stood before all the court. At first glance, Timur almost laughed at the bulky contraption. How could this thing be better than scribes trained at copying hundreds of pages or letters. Yet, when Ibn Khatib demonstrated it and handed the printed paper to Timur, he shook his head in vigorous approval. Although he could not read, he immediately recongnized the words on the paper. "There is no God but God..."

And Mohammed is his Prophet! This is indeed a mighty invention. The uses of it shall be endless. Hmmm... I wonder if it is alright to use it to produce the Quran upon this device?

Finally, Ibn Khatib's last bit of news caught the attention of Timur most out of all that had occured during the audience. The Manchu were marching to the Ghonzou corridor! Timur leapt up from the throne and rised his arms to the heavens, dropping the printed paper on the ground.

Cheku, call the amirs and my sons unto me! This news is most excellent beyond belief. God has show me the way of glory and I shall take it. You see, the West is calm and after this treaty I have made with the Sultan Murad, my rear is protected again my northern and western opponents. Persia is silent and being remade. Samarkand prospers. That leaves only two places to conquer, Hindustan or Uighurstan and the road to China. Ibn Khatib's words have made up my mind for me. I tire of the city and now war in the East finally has come!

The Great War Council

oudwithmusicians6.gif

The courtyard gardens of the palace was filled by a cacophony of voices as the amirs and sons of Timur Shah gathered for this hastily assembled council. They did not yet know what it was specifically to be about, but they were all sure it was about war. Timur could never stay in Samarkand more than six months without soon going to war again. His marshals assumed that they would be riding into the wastes of the north to surprise the Golden Horde with a vicious winter campaign. The more pious and the more greedy looked forward to a Hindustan campaign in which the fire-worshipers and heretics would be taught a lesson while all could fill their pockets with the gold and jewels of Hind. Those of a more romantic frame hoped they would be marching to take Baghdad and regain the once-glorious capital of Islam for the their self-proclaimed reconstitutor of the umma. Once they were seated and hushed, Timur rose, gleaming for ear to ear, in order to inform them of his true objective.

Brothers, sons, soldiers, it is time! I am not yet, nor shall I ever be, a bent old woman that keeps close to her home. Though the snow may fall in heaps and the ice may blow on the north wind, we shall ride and ride to victory. You see, one of the scholars in my service and now a dear friend, Ibn Khatib, did go to China in the spring and upon his return journey he noticed movements of which he told me recently. Uskhal Khan and his Manchu allies are moving upon our vein through which our lifeblood flows, the Silk Road. Not only does this threaten our commerce, but also the security of the Ulus Chagatai. Our Khan’s lands must not be violated and for to long the Turks and Chinese to the East have not acknowledged their true suzerain, Mahmud Khan Chagatai. Yet, without the support of my amirs, I shall not advance one step. I have told you the situation, now what is to be our action?

Cheku Barlas rose first as he was senior among those gathered and a close relation to Timur.

In this enterprise, there shall be hardships, but the rewards are too great to mind a little suffering. The cities of the Silk Road must be ours and the lands of the Ulus must be protected, still there is a greater prize once those two are secured. Uskhal Khan marches his armies west because he cannot defeat the new kings in China who rose up and threw out the Yuan twenty years ago. His army is too weak to rebuild the Empire of Genghis and Kublai *turns to the crowd* but is that so with the army of the Great Amir?!

All – NO!

Marin Shah now sheepishly stood to speak.

The army of our lord Timur is far greater and far more victorious than those of old and spreads more fear to the corners of the earth than any before seen. Peace bounds our realm on all sides but in the East, so let us settle it now. The decadence of the Mongols is proved by their inability to reconquer the Chinese. Let us crush them and then flood into China and return the rule of the Khan. Furthermore, I need but mention that China is the richest of all lands, even more than Hindustan.

Jahan Maliq, one of the marshals, also chimed in with an important goal.

Remember that most of the people of the East are pagans. They worship great gold idols, singing hymns and burning insense unto them. This war shall not only be for earthly goods but its shall also be a battle for souls! Lo, this war will make our great Amir lord of the East and the greatest ghazi upon the face of the earth. Surely we shall be blessed in such a valiant fight?

Timur nodded, having heard what he wished to hear. The amirs were behind him in total. They were willing to go to war despite knowing the difficulties of the terrain of Uighurstan with its high mountains and lifeless deserts. They were ready for such challenges after their rest. They too had tired of peace and the easy life. The Conqueror rose again from his throne and spoke.

Thus have you all spoke and are agree. We shall ride to war in the East. Let no man forget this day, for you all have sworn to follow me into this campaign. When you thrist in the desert and see your sons shot through with arrows, rise not your tongues against me, or you all agree to come. Is this clear?

All - Yes, Timur Shah!

Then let us prepare for war, a grand war for glory, gold, and God! *laughs*

A Bittersweet Return

vma006_3.jpg

Shah Shuja rode proudly at the head of the small column of horsemen. Though he was very ill, his lungs full of fluid, he dared not show it. For him, it was a moment of triumph. Unlike most of the petty, greedy princes of Persia, he and his clan, the Muzaffarids had survived and even gained more power by the invasion of Timur-i-lenk. He also remembered well the final words of Timur's letter to him.

Finally, the city of Isfahan shall be restored to your rule and you shall use this year's tribute than was to be sent unto Samarkand to rebuild the jewel of Faris. This is the gift of Timur. Be thankful unto Allah and prayer for your overlord.

Thus, to accomplish this commission, the head of the House of Muzaffar had set out from his temporary capital at Tabriz in September to return to his "jewel." Shah Shuja have smiled upon the thought if he had not been in so much pain. He called to his son and heir, Zain al-Abidin, to ride beside him. The son dutifully did so, but he only did so as a duty. He had lost any love or respect for his father when he had submitted to Timur. Zain believed that if they had fought on, all Persia would have raise to the Muzaffarids' support and help surely would have come from the Golden Horde or some other ruler envious of the lame conqueror. Zain cursed what he saw as his father's weakness, calling him an old woman behind closed door. Just behind father and son rode Shah Yahya, second brother of Shah Shuja. Shah Yahya had been thought dead, slain in the great sack of Isfahan, but the crafty and devious man had cheated death again by esecaping in a wine cask down the river. From thence, he had made his way back to his brother, begging for a place in his household and pledging his loyalty once more. Shah Shuja did not trust this pledge anymore than former ones, but he could not find it in his heart to be unhospitable to his brother. Little did he know that behind his back, Zain al-Abidin and Shah Yahya were planning a new policy toward the Timurids which would take effect upon Shah Shuja's death

isfahan.jpg

Isfahan

When the party reached the outskirts of the city, Zain al-Abidin exclaimed, "Look at the ruin and murder the barbarians have brought upon our city. That cripple in Samarkand shall pay!" Shah Shuja quickly turned to his son and shouted, gathering what strength he had, "No! Timur is our master now and I will not have you speak of him in this way. He has give us the duty of buidling the city to its former glory and, by Allah, I shall do so. War is a cruel thing and if one wants crushing victory, he must be cruel. Anyway, the rebellion was uncalled for and sparked by a few renegades *looks at Shah Yahya*." The party fell silent and rode onward toward the gate.

The Great Eastern Expedition
Best Laid Plans

genghis9.jpg

There is but one sight more beautiful than an army on the march, and that is the bloodied field of battle. - Timur Shah upon leaving Smarkand to campaign in the East

Though the all the amirs and generals had declared their ardent support for war in the East, they grumbled at the prospect of fighting in winter. None said this aloud, of course, lest they die for breaking their vow to Timur. The Conqueror himself was in high spirits and had already planned the campaign in detail in his mind.

CentralAsia.jpg

Central Asia

His forces and their material were already close at hand. Timur had an army of 50,000 ready at Samarkand, recently returned from the hard and dirty actions in Persia. They were his valuable and experienced core, the most feared army in the world. In addition to these, two tumen (20,000 men) of the light Mongol cavalry, which had once been a terror from Nanking to Buda, joined along with their hordes of family and servants. With this potent force, Timur would issue forth from Samarkand and make for the frontier of his wide realm, the city of Kashgar. From that launch point, the army would march down the Silk Road, subduing the tribes of Uighuristan as it went, with the objective being one of the great eastern centers of the Road, the commercial city of Turfan. From there, Timur would send out scouts to the south, east, and north in order to find out the strenghts of his Manchu, Mongol, or Chinese adversaries. Only after this would he decide whether or not to carry out the invasion of China, thought he would hoping to do so no matter the situation.

In such a distant and wide ranging campaign, commanders would be extermely important. Timur needed men of experience and men he could trust. Thats why Miran Shah, to his bitter disappointment, did not get a major command in the army. The command of the vanguard went to Amir Burunduk, the rearguard to Amir Edigu of Nogai, and the light cavalry were given to Umar Shaykh. Miran Shah had only the command of a company of a hundred heavy cavalry and soon declared that he would not go. Yet, the harsh words of Timur and Miran Shah's own wife forced the malcontent to do his duty, despite the lack of prestige so far. The Conqueror was pleased and now could look foward to seeing his great band ride forth once more and to see blood upon the snows.

Antonio Paulo was glad that Cheku Barlas seemed so positive towards him, and his dispaly. The lanky Venetian gestured freely with his spidery arms as he laid out some points for consideration.

AntonioPaulo.jpg

"Lord," he began in his unimpressive voice, "First and foremost Venice wishes to be allowed to continue the operations it has long maintained in the lands ruled by Timur Shah in perpetuity, as these trade relations bring great wealth not only to the Most Serence Republic, but also to his magnficence Timur Shah." Antonio was still energized by the positive reaction to his display so he continued confidently, "As well we seek to be allowed to trade along the caravan routes, and be gauranteed this right all throughout the lands of Timur Shah, from its furthest western point, to its furthest eastern point. The traders of Venice by many goods in your lands that are sold as luxuries in Europe, for the great volume of trade done by the Venetian merchants, as well as the many goods brought from Europe to your lands, a reduction in the tolls and tariffs along the caravan routes for Venetian merchants would be most appreciated, and in light of our foregoing of trade with the Horde, we do not foresee such a change as detrimental to his magnificence."

Antonio had said all that he could, and now had to await a response, he was surprised at the cordiality and relative civility of the Timurid court, and only hoped that it would continue and end in a succesfull arrangement being made.

The Constable nodded and raised his hand, as if he were trying to catch his answer from the air.

What you suggest would be very fine, though we would prefer, for the benefit of your merchants' ease and safety, to limit them to the cities of Tabriz, Isfahan, Herat, Bohkara, and Samarkand. This is not to hide anything from them, but to enable better control and security of the commerce of the realm. I am sure you can understand this.

Perhaps you would be interested in drawing up a proper treaty and if there are any other issues to be handled, the treaty shall be amended as need be. If there are no further issues, I should be able to sign the treaty on behalf of the Great Amir, as he is currently about to leave on campaign.

Not so long after the departure of the Sultan's son, a new scroll appears.

To the Great Khan of Khans,

Forgive me, but I must dispense with flowery speech. Christiandom itself is gearing it's loins for battle to send a mighty crusade against the Ghazi state of the Heirs of Osman.

We feel that we may hold fast, but victory itself will be in doubt and defeat a distinct possibility.

Thus, we invite the Great Khan to honor our treaty and send his horde West instead of East. There is rich plunder to be had here and far more worthy foes. You will be able to put your great generalship on display while your own lands are free from harm. The absence of any activity from the Golden Horde also makes it a ripe time for action.

I beseech you as a Muslim brother to not stand idly by.

-Sultan Murad Hudenvendigar

A letter arrives for the Khan, hopefully while he is already travelling westwards.

To the Great Khan of Khans,

You have our deepest gratitude. Though the famed speed of your hordes will be put to the test I fear if you wish to reach Edirne before the Bosporus is blockaded.

-Sultan Murad Hudenvendigar