• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Calipah said:
With a low knock on the door, he asked the sheik for an audience as the retainer of the Abbasid Caliph al-Wathiq, and not the Mameluki Sultan Barquq.

The Abbasid Connection

A young boy answered the door and lead the stranger to the room where Urgu Sa'dar sat. He had been engrossed in reading the Quran, though he knew it through and through, when he popped his head up to look at his guest. Closing the holy book, he waved for the boy to bring bread, some leftover chicken, and tea. He invited Ahmed to sit by him on one of the old, plain cushions.

Being a servant of the Caliph, you may not be used to such simplicity, but it is what I have and I offer it to you freely. The boy told me that you come on behalf of the Caliph, not the Sultan... hmmm. I find this interesting. What does the Caliph need with an old man in the lands of the Qipchaq when all the world is at his feet in Cairo? I sense there is much more of this, but I shall let you tell it, my friend.​

Last edited:
The Abbasid Connection

Ahmed seated himself before the old sheik, though they had similar timelines, the lebanese prefered treating the sheik as a man of greater experiance and knowledge, which he was rightfully so.The simplicity he spoke of, did not stand out in starking difference with the Caliph, who was all in all, still pretty much living a spartan lifestyle.

"Alas, what life do you speak of oh Imam of the North?the Abbasid Caliphs have been in bondage by the Turks of Al-Qahirah for generations.The Abbassid Caliph Al-Wathiq has fleed from Cairo and taken refugee in Dimasqh, the people of the city raise the banners of the Caliphate in his name against the Mameluke, all of Syria bows to him.Though the Sultan Barquq has still not heard of our righteous insurrection, he will eventually hear of it and riase his armies against us.It is time to bring down the shackled of servitude and restore the Caliph to his rightful place.Thus my presence here, Al-Wathiq requests you intercept all messages being sent from Sarai to the Mamelukes, also , he would be appreciative of any men and supplies you could send for the cause.It is most imperative you help us to shatter the tyranny of the orientals on our lands, the Caliphate must arise again".

The Abbasid Connection

The Imam was shocked. He had thought all was well between the Mamluks and the Caliph. Although he did not like to see God's chosen regent as the vassal of slaves, the Caliph had been safe from other predators in Cairo. Yet, if what Ahmed said was true, the Caliph would no long have a need to hide, but he would be able to fight for himself. The Imam stroked his beard and then turned to pour the tea for his guest.

The messages shall be easy. There are few regular communication between the Khan and the Sultan since Toqtamish came to the throne. He is a man that is focus on Russian affairs and he currently wishes to fight either the Liths or Hungaria. *laughs*Allah help him, for he figures himself as great a warrior as Bloody Timur.

That brings me to the second thing you ask of me. Money, men, and arms shall be hard to find. The Khan has declared that when the Divan meets in spring, they shall decided if they shall go to war. I fear he may do so before then, even. So Sarai shall gather up all the warriors... but I know chiefs that would be willing to aid this plan even if it meant ticking off the Khan. From these I can promise 10,000 men but no more, I fear.

This is quite the venture, my friend, and I shall pray for its success. *looks at Ahmed* Do you truly think Al-Wathiq will win?​

Last edited:
The Abbasid Connection

The Arab sipped the tea presented to him.He delicatly whipped his mouth with a Persian napkin he held, a heirlom that was precious to him."Only Allah knows if Al-Wathiq shall be victorious, though his supporters seem to be numerous.He is a man who has tasted luxury, yet prefers simplicity.He shall be a fine change to the decadence of our current Sultans and rulers.Allah be praised, he is in Damascus if you wish to speak with him.We will await your men with hope of victory, any support is welcome.".

A breathless messenger raced into the Khan's camp. Unable to find the Khan, he bumped into a man whom he recognised as Matteo Orsini. "King Charles is dead! So is his son! The crown is disputed!"

Ill Tidings from Naples

mongol0.jpg

Toqtamish Khan

The Khan rarely liked to be distubed, especially recently as he enjoyed spending much of his time with his new Italian wife. Yet, the Vizer insisted that the news was to great not to tell him immediately.

Most awesome lord *kowtows* a messenger from Neapolita has arrived in the camp and has informed Signore Orsini grave news indeed. Both Charles and his son are dead. The crown of that far country is disputed between three of the royal house; one Joanna, Elizabeth of Slovene, she being the Queen Dowanger, and John, brother of the late king, I think. This John holds the most power in the kingdom for now and he appears to have no intent on breaking the alliance with you, Khan of Khans.

Good, that is all I needed to know. Now leave us, Vizer. Handle the matter as you might see fit. Promise this John monetary support even. We cannot have weak Latin women as the chiefs of our allied kingdoms. Now go... I have a wife to attend to. *laughs*

The Jalayir Khan's Ambassador...

topkapi_palace_garden2.jpg

Sarai, Capital of the Khanate of Toqtamish...

Riding his horse silently into the plains and steppes of the north, Muhammad Batu watched the sun rise and fall many times as his guards and aids followed, silently, except when it was time to pray of course.

He thought deeply of his mission to the north... he had heard Toqtamish was a hard bargainer, but then again, what Khan in his right mind wasn't? Khan Ahmad had made it quite clear to him, Do not agitate him in any way, nor insult his most powerful horde. Ensure he knows we mean peace, and perhaps more... Toqtamis is a fiendish enemy, and our people know that well. But I think he would be a far more of a devil as our friend, against the true enemies of the Hordes. Tell him that.

Muhammad Batu was a very loyal subject, and he knew this was an important embassy. The Khan had even gone so far as to give him great freedoms in what he could offer... hopefully, it would all work out well.

Passing the tall and sweet smelling pines of the north, Muhammad Batu, Ambassador of the Khan of the Jalayirid Mongols took in a deep breath of air, and perhaps a sigh of relief as he reached Sarai.

Arriving at the most extravagant palace of Toqtamis - although unlike those of Baghdad, as Muhammad had lived in and around all his life, since his grandfather had come as a conquering soldier to the land so many decades ago..

Presenting his written credentials, he speaks to a court attendant,

emissary.jpg

Muhammad Batu
Ambassador of the Jalayir Khan

"Greetings, we have arrived from Baghdad and are glad to have finally found this grand palace. I am Muhammad Batu, Ambassador of the Khan of the Jalayirids... inform your Great Khan that I humbly ask for his time in audience."

He bowed his head slightly, a deep respect from someone such as Appointed Ambassador to a common court servant, and hoped the man would relay this message to the Great Khan of the Golden Horde.

A letter from Naples

"John, King of Naples, Jerusalem, and Albania, Prince of Achaia, Durazzo, and Taranto, et cetera, to Toqtamish, Khan of Khans, Khan of the Golden Horde, greetings.

You will have heard of the great trouble caused to my brother by the alliance he signed with you. All of Christendom revolted against him, and I fear that this may well have lead to his demise. Many say his death, and that of his son, is a punishment of God.

I have now risen to the throne of Naples, with the support of the Queen Dowager, who I hope to make Queen in Poland. However, my brother's daughter continues to claim the throne, and wanders through the courts of Europe seeking a powerful consort to push me off my throne. She is yet a girl of thirteen!

Unfortunately, we will not be able to continue in our brother's alliance with your person, lest we also forfeit our life because of it. However, we ask that you do not repudiate the lady Maria, or expell Signore Orsini, for whilst we may not continue in a written alliance, friendship and good relations may yet flourish between our two realms. Tell Signore Orsini that he has permission from me to continue as the official envoy of Naples at your court.

Most cordially,
By his own hand,
John, King of Naples"

Sapphire said:
Arrival of Ambassador of Ragusa at Golden Court

tn_Joachimr.jpg

Frankopan Crijevici

Non-Resident Ambassador of Ragusa to the Roman Empire and Resident Ambassador of Ragusa to the Golden Horde, Frankopan Crijevici was staring at the Cherson, it is so unclean. His ship then moored at the wharf. Walking down the gangway, he smiled in relief; he was seasick for every seconds of the journey and happy to be back on good Earth.

After few moment of Frankopan discussing with port officials, they found where the Khan is and so they went off. Once he arrived at the Court, followed by his staffs and guards, he requested for an audience with the Khan.

The Ragusan Embassy

mongol4.jpg

Isa ibn-Hâkim Chormaghan
Grand Vizer

An slightly stooped man with an offical look about him approached the Ragusan envoy.

Signore Frankopan Crijevici I presume. I am Chormaghan, the Grand Vizer of the Great Khan. He is currently occupied with other matters, but you can trust that I will be a good substitute in his stead. What brings you to this far shore? Ragusa we have heard of but you do not hold as big a concession in these parts as the Genoese. Do you wish to change this now?​

The Jalayirid Embassy

mongol0.jpg

Toqtamish Khan

What do those bastards want?! They have hid the vipers that seek my destruction and they expect me to treat their ambassador with courtesy? Ha!

The Khan rose quickly from his throne and paced, mumbling to himself all the while. The herald how had delievered the news of the Iraqi's arrival now grew pale, nowing his master to be prone to random acts of violence. After this fit of pacing the Khan returned to his seat and asked that the ambassador be sent in. He would have his audience, but Toqtamish would get want he wanted, or else...

The Royal Palace

Muhammad Batu, I welcome you to my court. It is good to hear from the southern lands, as we had heard that all was anarchy there, ripe for Timur to pick once he returns from China. How are things with your new master? I hope he is well. I also hope he knows the whereabouts of certain of mine enemies... but first, I entreat you to tell of the south and of your mission here, if any. *smirks*

Proclamation of the Caliphate

Upon the arrival of the victorious armies of the Caliph into Egypt, the princes of the Mameluks surrendered on the condition of being allowed to retain their possessions and families and not come under persecution.The Caliph, being a man of foresight, agreed and immediatly he was ganted access to Al-Qahirah.The Al-Azhar, being the foremost authority in the Muslim world has legitimized his rule and declared his proclamation of the Khilafah throughout the Islamic Alam(World)

bismillah.gif

salam.gif

All praise is due to Allah, the one and only Creator and Sustainer of all that exists. He is the Absolute Authority, Whose law is timeless, Whose verdicts are final, and Whose Wisdom is supreme. May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon the last Prophet, the Chief (sayyid) of the believers, our leader (mawla), our commander (amir), the bearer of the light of Islam, Muhammed, and may be the peace be upon his noble family, his righteous successors, his devout companions, and all the believers.

When the verses of revelation had concluded, and when the Message of Islam was complete, it had long since become clear to the Muslims that Islam was their independence and methodology for living. Through it, they maintained freedoms and also responsibilities that no other nation before or after ever enjoined. Because of this, the (khilafah) became an essential part of Islam.

It is then necessary that the Islamic state be revisited by all Muslims and non-Muslims alike so that an accurate picture can be painted of what is beneficial not only to Muslims but to the salvation of humanity as a whole. It is said by Allah, highly glorified and exalted:

But no, by the Lord, they can have no (real) Faith, until they make you judge in all disputes between them, and find in their souls no resistance against your decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction. (4:65)

The ultimate test for the Muslims after accepting belief in Allah and the prophethood of Muhammed, through persecution and tyranny, was to struggle with their own selves (nafs) to accept the commands of their leader, Muhammed, unconditionally. In this verse (ayat), Allah gives full authority to the Noble Prophet (saaws) so that there would be no doubt in the mind of the believers that his verdicts were final. Every Muslim must struggle with himself to accept this, for Islam cannot be established within ourselves until we can totally submit our affairs over to Allah, and we cannot establish Islam as a state if we have not established it within our own selves.

"Because Allah will never change the grace which He has bestowed on a people until they change what is in themselves: and verily Allah is He Who hears and knows (all things)." (8:53)

So, until they change what is in themselves (yughayyiru ma bi-anfusihim), Allah will not change the grace (ni'mah) that he has bestowed upon us. When we understand this reality, we can put our situation into perspective. Allah bestows His grace on whom He wills, and we will not taste but a small portion of it until we submit ourselves completely to Him and obey what has been revealed to His Messenger.

Only Allah is your Wali (guardian, protecting friend) and His Messenger and those who believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow. (5:55)

To truly establish Al-Islam on earth, Muslims must fully accept the wilayah (sovereignty) of Allah, His Messenger, and those who have been given authority by Allah. Anything short of this will only result in failure. If we say that Allah is our Lord and that Muhammed is our Prophet, then we cannot accept any system or ideology as legitimate to the exclusion of the Islamic system. How can we reconcile this contradiction in our minds? I forth say the words of Allah may he be praised "Let there arise out of you an Ummah inviting to all that is good; enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong, they are the ones who are successful." (3:104)

I ,Caliph Al-Wathiq son of Bani Abbas, I invite all those who call Allah the lord and master to come forth and endorse their loyalty to the Khilafah, for the Mamelukes lie vanquished.He the lord has granted me victory with the death of Sultan Barquq.Give me your baya so Allahs Ummah can unite under one flag.

Signed, Caliph Al-Wathiq billah al-Abbasi

Toqtamish Khan and the Jalayirid Ambassador...

Sarai, Capital of the Khanate of Toqtamish...

Muhammad Batu fell to his knees, and gave the Khan a long and respectful Islamic styled bow, to show he meant the deepest of respects. Batu was among all emissaries of the Jalayirids the most faithful and honest, and he was appointed specifically for his good nature. Khan Ahmad did not was some hot headed fool to insult the Khan Toqtamish.

emissary.jpg

Muhammad Batu
Ambassador of the Jalayir Khan

"I bring hails and greetings from the south, Great Khan of the Golden Horde Toqtamish, and good tidings from my master, Ahmad Ghiyath al-Din Khan of the Jalayir..."

Bowing again, this time a little more efficently, he spoke on,

"The anarchy within our lands your wise and awesome Khan speaks of truly has plagued Iraq for many years, but now it can be said true that order has been restored under our great Khan and 'Sultan', as to appease the Arabs..
The unrest, a cause of the most ignorant rebel Amir of Ray 'Adil Aqa shall soon be swept aside I would proudly report. To greant your powerful overlord's wishes, I would say that the uheaval of the Jalayirid Amirs against the unfit ruling members of the Khan's dynasty is over, and that all who remain in line are indeed fit to rule, and truly granted by Allah the right to such. Tha Khan himself has seen the chaos throughout his childhood, and now a strong young and wise ruler, like yourself, I believe he shall be granted success in his endeavours to unify the southern horde..."

He then cleared his throat...

"Now as to my mission here, your magnificence, I have travelled so far north to ask you this - was there not once a time when the great hordes worked to make their power known westward, and we fought as a gone, unified coalition of tribes? While our respective tribes may have had differences, the Jalayirids wish to see the power of Mongolia remain within the west, and his splendid grace Khan Ahmad sees our lands as these western fronts...

Khan Ahmad wishes to profess a friendshhip between our lands - there are many enemies of our peoples between us, such opportunity for conquest indeed! Khan Ahmad sees the opportunities of our people working together, to further settle our claims against our common enemies... hoping in your noble spirit you might take heed of his call, he tightens his bowstring nightly... truly, like yourself great Toqtamish, all great Khans are warriors!

Khan Ahmad also wishes it be known that in such spirit perhaps he might take on his first wife as one from your glorious horde's court, perhaps of your own family, to seal a great union of our peoples? Have you any daughters with your so truly rumored magnificent wives? If such is an infant, a betrothal or immediate marriage might be arranged, in the second case the duties of this wife would take place upon the age of mighty Toqtamis's choosing.

...No pathetic Christian or Turk state can resist the power of the unified hordes, truly..

The enemies of the Mongols, mighty Khan, are always numerous..."

He stepped back a moment and lowered his head, hoping with respect that the Khan would see the lands ripe for conquest... the Turkmen Sheep People barbarians, and the Kurds and Turks who profess tiny but enriched states...
All great Khans see advantages for opportunity, Muhammad hoped.

jalay.png

A Long Trek Due North

landmountain.jpg

Young Arigh Chinqal rides the roads north through the Circassian mountains,
and into the Russ lands...

The cold froze his skin and his very blood as they made their way through the final stoney peaks of the high mountains of the Caucuses mountains and Georgia... Arigh was glad to finally have left that frozen and godless place.

Truly, the Creator made such mountains to seperate the Christians and Muslims... He thought to himself, knowing full would he would never forget how hard the trek had been, and that, not for many years did he plan to take it back, or return to his homeland of which he was so rejected from.... No, those mountains were his barrier. They were dry, cold, and untamed - more savage than any place he had been so far, and being a sort of drifter, Arigh had seen many terrible places and gutters. And after leaving his fellow travellers, Aright took the road onto the plains of this Christian land over the mountains, and soon be further on his way north... And so after the highland ridges, he seemed to find himself in steeped valleys, leading to plains... and so many trees.

The young Aright was shocked - he had seen forests, sure, tiny ones in the dry rugged regions of his homeland, and north. Yet never had he seen such green grasslands, and forests, not in his lifetime.

hero.jpg

Young Arigh Chinqal

"Truly, I have never seen a land such as this... so green!"

So many piney trees, always around him. He could not seem to get away from them, and their minty smell. All day and all night, he and his short pony rode the roads from the snow capped and terribly windswept peaks of the mountains of Caucasus, he only stopped within the strange Christian Khanate called 'Gürcistan' (Georgia) whenever he found opportunities to steal any foods he cound find, or drink. He would steal these things from sleeping travelers at night, merchants, drunks leaving the taverns of the towns he passed, and other places... soon he began to pass people who did not speak his language at all. But it concerned the adventurous Arigh not.
Travelling the lesser known roads through the coasts of a sea called Azov, Aright was forced to sell his steed, in order to purchase a supply of food... but how would he travel north, without a steed?

The answer lay in the river.

landriver.jpg

A merchant's ship on the River Dneiper

He knew this river was called Dneiper, and that it would take him quickly far, and to the north. But he did not commandeer a ship... he would have to have his way, the old way.

Shortly after arriving at small river town and river docking, Arigh, with his satchel snuck where no one might see him. He crept around the village's exterior, and nearing the docks, he ducked beside a barrel. Seeing a trader or merchant of some sort walking off the docks, and into a small house - probably a goods warehouse - Arigh found his chance... he ran, his feet sounding as light as a fox in the forest, and pounced onto the man's afloated river vessel, of medium size, and fixed himself under a leather like tarp - to protect his goods from rain - and made space for himself under it, hiding between some barrels and boxes of goods, and to his horror and disgust, near a crate of salted, but rotting fish. Good luck comes with bad... He thought, trying to think of other things..

And so, as a stow away, the young Arigh continued his journey north..

The Jalayirid Embassy

mongol0.jpg

Toqtamish Khan

Our enemies are indeed numberless, Muhammad Batu, but those with sense fear the Horde. I already have good relations with the Turks and bloody Timur is off in China. Why need I ally with you master when he is far to the south. Unless he can deliver up to me Kurdistan or promises to aid me in war against lame Timur in the future, there is no need for us to continue talking.

As to daughters, I have none as yet, though my newest wife *smiles* if heavy with child. Still, if you are ardent in having a bond by marriage unto the Horde, there is one woman fitting that. Emir Tangut, a mighty prince and a relation of mine, has a daughter named Conchakin. She is about fifteen now. No girl in all Rus can compare with her beauty and she had suitors in the form of Mikhail, the Despot of Cherson and son of Emperor Ionnes, and Ladislas, late prince of Naples. With that done, she is free.

Also, I must know the Khan's opinion of this declaration of the Caliphate. Shall Baghdad bend a knee to some trump-up skeik who thinks he can reunited the umma because he is the son of so and so!