• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good updates. :)

LM+: ...Hitler, in other words, has picked up 5/6ths of the tab.

totally awesome! ! :)

LM+: ...Brazilian women are the most beautiful in the world, and anyone who disagrees hasn't seen enough of us!

i can vouch 200 percent that this is true! ! :D

very intriguing stAARt! ! :cool:

Great update!

BTW, I read that if a Brazilian says 'the snake is about to smoke', a fight is imminent. Truly wonderful with history :D

Tim O said:
Cool title, and nice quote, never heard it before.

I'd load up and have Argentina join the Axis, just to make it interesting.
Now, there's an idea. HSR has some events concerning this already, and I've now hacked up some add-ons; they will be described as they occur.

lifeless said:
:rofl: nice trading and good work getting into the allies:D now you can get blueprints!
Yep, and let me tell you, they won't come a moment too soon!

GhostWriter said:
LM+: ...Brazilian women are the most beautiful in the world, and anyone who disagrees hasn't seen enough of us!

i can vouch 200 percent that this is true! ! :D

very intriguing stAARt! ! :cool:
Mister, I like your attitude. I also like your sig; nice new Russian quote.

Thanks, Alexius, Sir Humphrey, and GrimReaper!

1936, July:
- Now in the Allies, Brazil sets up small trades with France, Canada, South Africa, and Australia to earn brownie points (and, hopefully, encourage them to offer blueprints). America and Brazil start a series of weekly "we love each other" days; relations improve rapidly.

- War in Spain! Generals Ferrar, Arrondo, Mola, and Francisco Franco touch off a military rebellion against the increasingly left-wing Spanish Republican government. Syndicalists, Anarchists, Communists, and Fascists surge to arms in this, the first great testing-ground of ideological war. The most important objective is Madrid, held by the Republicans; the second Seville, seized by Franco at war start. Germany, Italy, and the Soviet Union funnel vast quantities of arms and equipment to both sides, and the Fascist powers overmatch Russian advisors and leftist international brigades with entire divisions of their own troops.
image017zd1.gif

- The United Kingdom starts shipping us the small quantity of oil needed to keep our battleships at sea (and thus using fewer supplies).
image018lt2.gif

- Generous with oil, yes, but the Brits show no instant willingness to hand over any blueprints. Inquires as to the cost of technological assistance get some disappointing answers. Except for the most vital technologies, we'll do better to concentrate available production on industrial growth rather than on buying British boffins.
image019nt4.gif

1936, August 2nd:
- Germany hosts one of the most controversial Olympics in modern history, brilliantly using them as a tool to promote Nazi ideology and to demonstrate racial superiority. Despite his overall pleasure at seeing Germany outcompete all other nations, and in his adopted nation being presented in such a positive light by the democratic mass media, Hitler does suffer some embarrassment when his Aryan athletes are miserably worsted in the sprint and long jump events by black American Jesse Owens. Thankfully for his peace of mind, he doesn't yet know that Owens actually stands in debt to another German! Lutz Long, also competing in the long jump, offered the American advice after he almost failed to qualify. Long will later, and posthumously, be awarded the Pierre de Coubertin medal for sportsmanship -- an honour that truly knightly German has well deserved.
150pxberlin1936fe2.jpg

"The sportive, knightly battle awakens the best human characteristics. It doesn't separate, but unites the combatants in understanding and respect. It also helps to connect the countries in the spirit of peace. That's why the Olympic Flame should never die."
--Adolf Hitler, commenting on the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games​

(source: wikipedia)

1936, September - October:
- Relations with the United States rise to +199, and we start improving our terms of trade.
image020xv0.gif

- Attention turns to Germany, relations with which are rising rapidly, and to Japan and the Commonwealth, within all of which small but numerous trades are winning friends and influencing people.

- The United Kingdom hasn't yet provided any blueprints, but we want information about "Basic Computing Machine" badly enough to pay for it. We're running out of supplies and will have to cut back on spending ... or find a creative way to make somebody rather else fund our wheeling and dealing.
image021acm5.gif
image021bzp5.gif

1936, October:
- Storm clouds gather in the Rio Plata; Argentina is gravely concerned about Brazil's diplomatic activism. The alliance with Great Britain was the last straw, and Agustin Justo now demands and gets a vastly more Interventionalist policy. Argentina is seeking powerful friends -- and we very much fear she will find them.
image022ks7.gif

Last edited:
The Brits hold on to their precious blueprints, eh? :D

Well, I'm sure you can get it out of them one way or the other :rolleyes:

LM+: ...Argentina is seeking powerful friends -- and we very much fear she will find them.

is this an opportunity i see on the horizon? ? :D

excellent update! ! :cool:

This is funny! Should be interesting to watch.

Rensslaer

GrimReaper said:
The Brits hold on to their precious blueprints, eh? :D

Well, I'm sure you can get it out of them one way or the other :rolleyes:
Stingy! What sort of alliance is this, anyway! :shakes fist:

Thanks, Lifeless, KuzuX, Rensslaer! :D

GhostWriter said:
LM+: ...Argentina is seeking powerful friends -- and we very much fear she will find them.

is this an opportunity i see on the horizon? ? :D
An opportunity, yes, and a big one. But not for Brazil. <wry look>

Alexus, I'm sorry for mispelling your name. A little while ago, I spent a happy evening or three playing a board game. One of the most important characters in that game was a guy named "Alexius". So, I had Alexius on the brain, see?

AOK. 11 said:
Excellent updates!

Could you give us the basics on the armed forces of Argentina?
Thank you kindy. Briefing coming right up!

1936, November 2nd - 14th:
- The Organizacao Henrique Lage beats out the British in the development of Improved Machine Tools, and we immediately offer the blueprint to our good friends in London. Baldwin proves willing to give one blueprint of our choice in exchange, but demands gold we don't have to buy a second. Days pass as the Americans refill our coffers and we eventually meet London's price.
image023ll8.gif

With gleeful anticipation, our diplomats whirl into Paris, Toronto, and Sydney, ultra-modern blueprints in their hot little hands. Paris eventually gives us Early Battleship for a mildly extortionate price, but in the Commonwealth we receive answers so dusty that it would cost more even to negotiate than we would get out of the deal. Brow furrowed in bewilderment, an Aussi clerk asks us "Why would we give you Brazilians anything for what Britain will soon give us free?" ... And that was the end of that cunning plan!

There's weeping and wailing in Itamaraty tonight, folks.

1936, October-November:
- The news from Spain is better. German panzers sweep down from Bilbao in a daring end run around Madrid, seeking to link up with the large, but isolated, Nationalist army in Seville. However, Condor Legion is stopped in the hills of Albacete, surrounded by massed infantry, bombed day and night by the Cazas Sovieticos, and annihilated. Spanish anti-fascists celebrate a major victory.
image024rb3.gif

1936, November 30th:
- Our first round of factories is complete; base industry rises to 38. We begin work on a second round, this time of five factories. Assuming no delays, construction is expected to take just under ten months. We hope to have greatly improved that rate by late 1937.

1936, December:
- With two-thirds of Spain in their hands, Republican forces assault Bilbo, Franco's capital with two Soviet-equipped tank divisions. Madrid's great blow turns to disaster as German Junkers and Dorniers rain death from the sky. The light tank division is beaten back, forced to retreat, and wiped out in its entirety. Nationalist forces stage a counterattack into Saragossa. The killing continues.
image025pl0.gif

1937, January 1st:
- A new year begins; Brazilian leaders again choose to become more Hawkish.
image026up9.gif

Although Vargas makes no immediate changes in his cabinet, some Brazilian naval leaders start to agitate for the installation of Jorge Martins as Secretary of the Navy. If in office, his Base Control orientation will reduce transport and marine cost*time by 19% and destroyer cost*time by almost 10%, but render cruisers more expensive to build and capital ships less powerful in combat. For Brazil, this may well be a good trade-off.
image027ws1.gif

1937, January 7th:
- Argentina joins the Axis! Brazilian diplomats are dismayed at this latest demonstration of Argentinean admiration for Fascism. Military theoreticians on both sides of the river Uruguay ponder the possibility of war between our two nations, something that, despite many scares since, has not happened for a hundred and nineteen years.
image028rs7.gif

1937, January 14th:
- Graver and graver news: The entire Argentinean export economy is being devoted to building up strength for whatever struggles lie ahead. Hundreds of German technicians are arriving in-country to professionalize the armed forces and build up armament production. Agustin Justo, now an outright Fascist, is a growing threat, not only to Brazil, but perhaps even more so to his small neighbors of Paraguay and Uruguay. Not since Rosas gained and lost a Platine empire in the early 1800's have such grave dangers threatened southern South America.
image029xk7.gif

- We ponder force comparisons.
image030ama6.gif
image030bug9.gif

- There are two excellent defensive lines at or near the frontier between Brazil and Argentina. The first is the broad river Parana within Argentina; we clearly lack the strength to advance to it and dig in. However, the second, large and mountainous Curitiba province in southern Brazil, is a chokepoint ideal for defence. Mascarenhas de Morais is already conducting exercises in the region. Argentina will have to gather considerable force and spend considerable time to break through towards our capital by land. This will, in all probability, give us the approximately 90 days we will need to mobilize a proper army.
image030cjf9.gif

- Argentina does have transports and is also known to have plans for descents upon the Brazilian coast. Our two battleships are outnumbered, but -- used judiciously -- will probably suffice for a littoral defence during the initial stages of a war.

- Conclusion: We can, just barely, get away with not raising more troops. We resolve to press on with industrial growth.

Last edited:
LM+: ...- Conclusion: We can, just barely, get away with not raising more troops. We resolve to press on with industrial growth.

Argentina: IC - 52/41
Brazil: IC - ??/38

so, if i read this correctly, you are out manned, out gunned, out produced, and they have three tech teams to your two... then, throw in the advantage they have with access to German blueprints... :rolleyes:

that said, you probably made the correct decision! ! :cool:

Argentina really got huge benefits by joining the Axis... aren't there any similar Brazilian and British events?

Oh, and try depleting their resources stocks, they don't have enough of anything to supply even their starting ICs (they can't even max their tech teams!)... at least it was so in vanilla HoI.

Now UK should see the benefit of giving you blueprints :rolleyes:

Very informative screenies, I'd say.

GhostWriter: Yep, that's right. So Brazil needs to focus.

elbasto said:
Argentina really got huge benefits by joining the Axis... aren't there any similar Brazilian and British events?

Oh, and try depleting their resources stocks, they don't have enough of anything to supply even their starting ICs (they can't even max their tech teams!)... at least it was so in vanilla HoI.
I worked up these events to trigger when both Argentina and Germany are AI-controlled, and either Brazil or the UK are human-controlled. So they are intentionally powerful. I haven't written any events to keep an human-controlled Argentina amused. If I play ARG, I might.

As for resources, nothing doing. The events set up a automatic exchange: Germany ships 20 coal for 3 gold, and Argentina loses 3 gold (which, in HSR, she can well afford) for more than enough resources to run her expanded industry flat-out. Just don't ask where the free metal and rares come from...

GrimReaper said:
Now UK should see the benefit of giving you blueprints :rolleyes:

Very informative screenies, I'd say.
Yep, Baldwin has finally broken down. Bless him. Thanks; the screenies aren't anything like 2Coats' or Wolfhound's work, but hopefully they nevertheless add to the interest.

lifeless said:
not looking too good for brazil...better build more divs! :p
What, and slow down my precious factories? I charitably assume you jest?!? ;)

1937, January 28th:
- In this hour of peril, Brazilians need confidence. Britain aims to provide just that. Say what you will about Baldwin, but he does know how to keep friends. These are just the sort of applied military techs we will need to see off Argentina.
image031ex8.gif

- Itamaraty presents its periodic report on diplomatic relations...
image032vl8.gif

- ... And then another on resource flows and international trade. Our allies are currently subsidizing us to the tune of 1 oil, 7 coal. More importantly, we have found a willing seller of rares in the United States, and a (moderately) willing buyer in Great Britain, giving Brazil a healthy supplies surplus and a reserve for military expenses. At present, we gain approximately +4 IC from trade, a small but helpful bonus.
image034uf8.gif

1937, February 4th:
- We develop both Mechanized Agriculture and Basic Computing Machine. Brazilian Army planners get the nod for their own researches, but are warned that our tech teams are poorly suited to land unit development. They have long anticipated this moment; thousands of man-hours have been devoted to field exercises and studies, trying to determine what combat methods will bring victory in the coming years. We have blueprints for Tankettes, Infantry, and Cavalry, so the options narrow down to these. Tanks are out of the question; we lack everything required to build modern armoured vehicles in any quantity. Infantry has in the past been the answer, but recent discussion has actually centered on mobile horse cavalry formations with very strong artillery support. In order to make this possible, infantry development will have to be abandoned for the foreseeable future. Fast horses and big guns will be the Brazilian way of war.
image033lb1.gif

- The Organizacao Henrique Lage accepts the remaining funds and begins a truly ambitious project: develop the ultra-modern tech Advanced Construction Engineering. This will be a lengthy and expensive task, but if we can learn it before October this year, the next and all future factory build cycles will be noticeably hastened.

1937, February 27th:
- Orders (from whom, nobody knows) circulate in Itamaraty to stop accepting gifts of resources from our allies in peacetime and to present a report to President Vargas when Brazil is again paying its own way. The curiously motivated diplomats accomplish the task in hours: 10 coal and 1 oil that South Africa and Great Britain previously provided now comes from America.

The Itamaraty representatives leave the conference room with praise ringing in their ears, and cheerfully head back to their offices. Along the perfectly familiar way, they find themselves taking a wrong turn into an oddly darkened cul-de-sac. And there the Grey Eminence awaits. His words are few.
image035se9.gif

1937, March:
- The purges in Russia reach a climax, with denunciations and show trials and confessions from men with all manhood tortured out of them. Stalin's regime is now more potent and secure than ever, but the case of international Communism is rather different. A great moral crisis in the Left has erupted, the ideals of millions in every country brought face to face with reality.

Numerous workers and intellectuals in both Old World and New gravitated to Communism in their quest for hope and progress. Forthrightly they say in the face of Reaction's bayonets that Communism means justice, and that justice is worth fighting for! But what is going on in Soviet Russia today is the very antithesis of justice. Is it that the only successful Red Revolution has been betrayed? Or - dare we say it? - is totalitarian Stalin the rightwise heir of dictatorial Lenin, himself the true realizer of democratic centralism? Is Communism's promise of human dignity a fraud? And if it is, and we abandon it again for capitalism, capitalism ruthless as Juggernaught, how can a world worth living in be attained?

These are unquiet years...

1937, April:
- We develop Early Cavalry and assign IPT to fighter design. The British have been trying to tell us that it is possible to build aircraft out of metal -- an implausible claim, we must confess, but there have been stranger things seen.

- Neville Chamberlain, the new British Prime Minister, hands a second sheaf of blueprints over to our delighted ambassador. As we discover what goodies he has made available, Brazilian engineers and officers hold an impromptu celebration.
image036od3.gif

1937, Summer:
- War rages in Spain. The Nationalists followed up their winter attack in Saragossa with a spring offensive in Catalonia, bagging everything north of the Ebro and bringing their industrial capacity back to parity with the Republicans. Now, with Valencia also in their hands, this increasingly looks like Franco's war to lose. Madrid still fields more infantry, but Bilbao boasts five times as many planes -- and that has been decisive.
image037to9.gif

1937, June 6th:
- Japan declares war on China! A long series of encroachments and land grabs have culminated in open war between the two nations; both mobilize for a decisive struggle. China is outmatched in industry, technology, and modern equipment; her fight will be a hard one.
image038we5.gif

Last edited: