• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Incidentally, I could use a completed save from 1.10 or two.
Here ya go. I'm so proud of this little guy. Merchant republic France, an England that owns Ireland-Wales-England-and-Southwest France, a Russian-Shia Latin Empire, a Heretical Russia-Sweden, a Burgundy that pulled an Austria and inheireted a ton of the HRE + Norway (which is now in HRE), a theocratic mostly-unified Iberia, a Venetian Greece, and a great North Africa-Middle East set up. Best of all, except for me intervening in a couple wars (russia-sweden kinda would have died to the mongol hordes w/o me but I just had to save it by playing as the Tsar until the war ended), it was an observer game that gave me this. so Happy. http://www.mediafire.com/?fh8bmok8x3oy86b

Here ya go. I'm so proud of this little guy. Merchant republic France, an England that owns Ireland-Wales-England-and-Southwest France, a Russian-Shia Latin Empire, a Heretical Russia-Sweden, a Burgundy that pulled an Austria and inheireted a ton of the HRE + Norway (which is now in HRE), a theocratic mostly-unified Iberia, a Venetian Greece, and a great North Africa-Middle East set up. Best of all, except for me intervening in a couple wars (russia-sweden kinda would have died to the mongol hordes w/o me but I just had to save it by playing as the Tsar until the war ended), it was an observer game that gave me this. so Happy. http://www.mediafire.com/?fh8bmok8x3oy86b

What?! That has got to be the save we've been wanting for our test suite the whole time.

Okay, maybe that's a little bit of hyperbole. Still, that really is a lot of nonstandard results, which is great.

Just a quick question: Is there any way to carry the new religions over from ToG to eu3, since there are no Norse/Romuva etc. religions? Or are you planning to add this in a mini-mod?
In the converter mod, page 79 says "The reformed versions are all new, also Slavic pagan and West African pagan. There's not much to be done with them for vanilla EU3. I'm thinking that in the converter mod, we only map the reformed ones to new religions, the unreformed ones can still link to Shamanism and Animism. Thoughts?" and this for baseEU3 conversion
Code:
link = { ck2 = norse_pagan eu3 = shamanism }
link = { ck2 = norse_pagan_reformed eu3 = shamanism }
link = { ck2 = tengri_pagan  eu3 = shamanism }
link = { ck2 = tengri_pagan_reformed  eu3 = shamanism }
link = { ck2 = baltic_pagan  eu3 = shamanism}
link = { ck2 = baltic_pagan_reformed  eu3 = shamanism}
link = { ck2 = finnish_pagan  eu3 = shamanism }
link = { ck2 = finnish_pagan_reformed  eu3 = shamanism }
link = { ck2 = aztec eu3 = animism }
link = { ck2 = aztec_reformed eu3 = animism }
link = { ck2 = slavic_pagan_reformed eu3 = shamanism }
link = { ck2 = slavic_pagan eu3 = shamanism }
link = { ck2 = west_african_pagan_reformed eu3 = animism }
link = { ck2 = west_african_pagan eu3 = animism }
link = { ck2 = zoroastrian eu3 = shamanism }
link = { ck2 = mazdaki eu3 = shamanism }
link = { ck2 = manichean eu3 = shamanism }
I don't know if any of that was changed since, though.

Just a quick question: Is there any way to carry the new religions over from ToG to eu3, since there are no Norse/Romuva etc. religions? Or are you planning to add this in a mini-mod?

You'd have to mod it. Here's a shot at that I did a few years back for a CK-EU3 conversion. Perhaps you'll find something useful.

Code:
pagan = {
	animism = {
		color = { 0.5 0.0 0.0 }
		province = {
			stability_cost = 10
			local_missionary_cost = -0.5
		}
		country = {
			tolerance_heretic = 2
			badboy_limit = -5 #Not considered to be equals
			merchant_cost = 0.10 #Suspicious of outsiders, more fluid castes lack capital
			missionaries = -0.10 #Lack of organized religion
			missionary_cost = 0.10 #Lack of organized religion
			missionary_placement_chance = 0.03 #Not an organized religion
			naval_tech_cost_modifier = 0.05 #Isolated
			spies_cost = 0.10 #Difficult to fit in to other societies
			tolerance_heathen = 1 #A relatively accepting religion
			trade_tech_cost_modifier = 0.05 #Isolated
		}
		heretic = { BEAR_SPIRIT SNAKE_CLAN }

annex = yes
	}
	shamanism = {
		color = { 0.5 0.3 0.3 }
		province = {
			stability_cost = 10
			local_missionary_cost = -0.5
		}
		country = {
			missionary_placement_chance = 0.167
			tolerance_heretic = 2
		}

heretic = { GOAT_SKULL }

annex = yes		
	}
	nordic = {
		color = { 0.9 0.09 0.2 } #Karmosinröd
		province = {
			stability_cost = 21
			local_missionary_placement_chance = -0.01
			}
		country = {
			land_morale = 0.25			#Warrior gods
			global_tax_modifier = -0.1		#Lack of organization
			missionaries = 0.1			#Wants to get the Christians out
			missionary_placement_chance = 0.08	#...but doesn't have the org. for it
			tolerance_heretic = 1			#Doesn't dislike other pagans as much
		}

heretic = { WICCA THEODIST }

annex = no 	
	}
        rodnov = { 
		color = { 0.5 0.12 0.12 } #Tegelröd
		province = {
			stability_cost = 25
			local_missionary_placement_chance = 0.06
			local_missionary_cost = -0.10
		}
		country = { 
			land_morale = 0.05 			#No compunctions against killing
			government_tech_cost_modifier = 0.03 	#A bit conservative and disorganized
			naval_tech_cost_modifier = 0.05 	#Isolated inland
			stability_cost_modifier = 0.05 		#religious rivalries could exist
		}

heretic = { TENGRI }

annex = no

}
	romuva = { 
		color = { 0.8 0.3 0.3 } #
		province = {
			stability_cost = 27
			local_missionary_placement_chance = 0.08
			local_missionary_cost = -0.11
		}
		country = { 
			land_morale = 0.02 #No compunctions against killing
			government_tech_cost_modifier = 0.05 	#Conservative
			stability_cost_modifier = 0.05 		#religious rivalries could exist
			tolerance_heathen = -1			#long wars against Teutonic Order fosters hatred 
		}

heretic = { IRON_WOLF }

annex = no

}
}

Here's another finished 1.10 game: http://www.mediafire.com/?o60pi9sl6bxfw7p

Played as the Hvitserks of Jorvik. Ultimately unified Britannia (Norse Orthodox), and in a world of IMMENSE empires I had to keep expanding (even though I tend to keep myself a low-mid level power) so I slowly claimed myself through Germany and Bavaria.
The golden horde is absolutely enourmous, and terrifyingly stable, capable of raising over 450k troops they obliterated the timurids as soon as they invaded.
The other powerful empires are: Francia, Persia, Byzantium and the Abbasids, so unfortunately nothing out of the ordinary. Hope the save can be of use anyway!

Excellent, thank you!

Also, if anyone has the 1.101 beta patch, can you check /common/religions/00_religions.txt for me to get the exact spelling of the Hellenic religion? That can help me be ready for any shenanigans with the patch when it comes out.

I've uploaded version 0.8A to Sourceforge.

I'm not going to do a full writeup on it. It's ToG compatibility and some bugfixes. Enjoy!

I am going to try this!Thanks :)

I've got tech stuff updated for 1.10. The cultural conversion rules can probably use some review, but they should work.

Tech levels are still determined by the overall method from this post,
How's this for a reviewed/revised version? Achieved tech level for each realm at conversion is averaged across all techs. Subtract the 867 starting tech level average for the relevant culture group as previously defined. Divide by elapsed time to get learning rate. Learning rates processed as per Das Gunt Lord, with the previously discussed minimum tech group being the 50% one not new world 0%. So the top 20% learners get western, the next quintile gets eastern, etc.

How's this for a reviewed/revised version? Achieved tech level for each realm at conversion is averaged across all techs. Subtract the 867 starting tech level average for the relevant culture group as previously defined. Divide by elapsed time to get learning rate. Learning rates processed as per Das Gunt Lord, with the previously discussed minimum tech group being the 50% one not new world 0%. So the top 20% learners get western, the next quintile gets eastern, etc.

Get me the starting numbers (I'll add in some code if it helps) and agree to make Muslim the worst possible group, and I agree! :)

Is the converter mod up to date? Norse is a culture yes?

I look forward to converting my Norse theocracy. What else do you call a country ruled by the head of religion?

Is the converter mod up to date? Norse is a culture yes?

I look forward to converting my Norse theocracy. What else do you call a country ruled by the head of religion?

Fylkirate?

Get me the starting numbers (I'll add in some code if it helps) and agree to make Muslim the worst possible group, and I agree! :)
Unfortunately I have problems with both of those. The first is that I haven't got TOG yet (BLASPHEMY!). Obviously that's an easy fix that I'll probably get on right soon anyway.
The second is a greater philosophical question. There's at least the possibility of unreformed pagan realms with zero writing tradition stubbornly clinging to their old ways, which would reduce their willingness to try out those filthy foreign ideas. For example, it's very possible for the Slavs to kill Cyril and Methodius in this game, leaving them without an alphabet. Would their subsequent technology development match the Muslim world in that case? Of course EU3 undermines this argument by making the highly literate Chinese tech up even slower, but that's tied more to the Not Invented Here syndrome, which persisting pagans would also have, so round we go again.
Simplicity (or my sheer laziness) argues for keeping things as is, with 50-80% of max learning rate getting you Muslim group, 80-85% Ottoman, 85-90 Eastern, and 90-100% Western. I can rationalize the increased minimum by claiming that the NIH attitude just wouldn't function as well in the chaotic cultural and religious soup that is Europe and that writing is not as critical to most technology of this era as it has since become. It's probably unduly kind to an unreformed pagan Iceland that would be quite isolationist as well as isolated, but outliers must sometimes lie outside.

TL;DR: Pode argues himself round to agreeing with the boss that Muslim should be the minimum possible tech group

If the conversion is made into a mod rather than a save file, I'd say the pagan countries (reformed or not) should have their own tech group.

Oh come on, I've nearly finished the empires! I was looking forward to publishing it!

Unfortunately I have problems with both of those. The first is that I haven't got TOG yet (BLASPHEMY!). Obviously that's an easy fix that I'll probably get on right soon anyway.
The second is a greater philosophical question. There's at least the possibility of unreformed pagan realms with zero writing tradition stubbornly clinging to their old ways, which would reduce their willingness to try out those filthy foreign ideas. For example, it's very possible for the Slavs to kill Cyril and Methodius in this game, leaving them without an alphabet. Would their subsequent technology development match the Muslim world in that case? Of course EU3 undermines this argument by making the highly literate Chinese tech up even slower, but that's tied more to the Not Invented Here syndrome, which persisting pagans would also have, so round we go again.
Simplicity (or my sheer laziness) argues for keeping things as is, with 50-80% of max learning rate getting you Muslim group, 80-85% Ottoman, 85-90 Eastern, and 90-100% Western. I can rationalize the increased minimum by claiming that the NIH attitude just wouldn't function as well in the chaotic cultural and religious soup that is Europe and that writing is not as critical to most technology of this era as it has since become. It's probably unduly kind to an unreformed pagan Iceland that would be quite isolationist as well as isolated, but outliers must sometimes lie outside.

TL;DR: Pode argues himself round to agreeing with the boss that Muslim should be the minimum possible tech group

Heh. Well, the learning-rate based tech conversion hasn't changed at all. Because it used relative values, it handles these kind of changes well. I've just been concerned about the cultural-based conversion, what with new cultures and religions and the like. I was able to confirm it still does something, but if that something is valid? I don't know.