• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1. If it's succession law like Agnatic Open then yes(what other option is to determinate which nations in CK2 are tribes and which not?) in other options no. Also I would prefer no tribes, where some should be, then many tribes, where they shouldn't be.(It looks really odd when I converted my save playing von Habsburgs and get tribal democracy :))
2. I don't know

Patrician Elective = merchant republic. Is that to complicated, or something else goes wrong?

We have a winner. Merchant republics have their own succession type in 1.09. For saves prior to 1.09, using CoT's (once we have them) is probably OK.

Oh, good, I was hoping it was something easy like that.

1. Should nations sometimes convert as tribal democracies? You see this in the default game, with nations as advanced as the muslim tech group.
2. Is there a decent way of determining which nations convert as merchant republics? The existing rule is any republic which contains a CoT, but it never gets used because we don't yet convert CoTs. 1.09 might give us better choices, but I'm not even sure if trade republics can be distinguished from non-trade ones. Or if that's a valid distinction.

For simplicity's sake, I don't think we should convert tribal democracies. I just don't see any good criteria for determining who would get this. (If someone comes up with great criteria, it could be changed later.)

As for the merchant republics, you already got a great answer.

In general, the current criteria for government types are pretty good. They will be converted better when tech conversion gets tweaked. I think it's a known bug, but a lot of countries (practically all in the few saves I've converted) get muslim tech. With better tech conversion most countries should get western and eastern tech and thus more appropriate government types.

Okay, I've made the default government despotic monarchy and merchant republics now convert with the merchant republic government type.

As for tweaking tech conversion, I've done what I consider the major tweak (making sure we don't do it until after nations have been merged or split). It resulted in no tech group changes. Though in my moving things around for that tweak, I did get accepted cultures working better.

Thanks for making this conversion platform! It works great for my normal games. Recently, though, I started playing a slightly self modded version of CK2. In this game, rich Gujarati Hindu Kings from India invade the Persian empire in hopes of eventually taking over Europe entirely. Its almost 1453 in my game and so far I've been able to take over (or form) the Russian empire and the Persian empire (and Syria and a few others)

The slight changes I've made included adding Gujarati culture as a subgroup of Indian culture. Adding Hindu religion as a subgroup of Vedic religions. I also changed many of the laws in game that required a certain culture or religion to create kingdom or empire titles.

EU3 already has both the Hindu religion and Gujarati culture in the game.

In the converter files:
To the religion mappings I've added: link = { ck2 = Hindu eu3 = Hindu}
To the culture mappings I've added:
## Indian
link = { ck2 = Gujarati eu3 = Gujarati}

I just want to confirm if this is okay and ask if there is anything else I should be wary of. Hopefully I'm able to keep most of my winnings for my mega game.

Thanks for making this conversion platform! It works great for my normal games. Recently, though, I started playing a slightly self modded version of CK2. In this game, rich Gujarati Hindu Kings from India invade the Persian empire in hopes of eventually taking over Europe entirely. Its almost 1453 in my game and so far I've been able to take over (or form) the Russian empire and the Persian empire (and Syria and a few others)

The slight changes I've made included adding Gujarati culture as a subgroup of Indian culture. Adding Hindu religion as a subgroup of Vedic religions. I also changed many of the laws in game that required a certain culture or religion to create kingdom or empire titles.

EU3 already has both the Hindu religion and Gujarati culture in the game.

In the converter files:
To the religion mappings I've added: link = { ck2 = Hindu eu3 = Hindu}
To the culture mappings I've added:
## Indian
link = { ck2 = Gujarati eu3 = Gujarati}

I just want to confirm if this is okay and ask if there is anything else I should be wary of. Hopefully I'm able to keep most of my winnings for my mega game.

That looks correct! You'll have to let us know how it all works out!

I'm getting an error.

Here's the log:

Reading configuration file.
13-02-16 15:03:18: No input file given, defaulting to input.ck2
13-02-16 15:03:18: Getting CK2 data.
13-02-16 15:03:18: Getting building types.
13-02-16 15:03:19: Getting CK2 religions
13-02-16 15:03:19: Getting CK2 cultures
13-02-16 15:03:19: Parsing landed titles.
13-02-16 15:03:19: Getting traits
13-02-16 15:03:19: Getting opinion modifiers
13-02-16 15:03:19: Adding dynasties from CK2 Install
13-02-16 15:03:19: Parsing CK2 save.
13-02-16 15:03:19: Error: Could not open input.ck2

I'm getting an error.

Here's the log:

Reading configuration file.
13-02-16 15:03:18: No input file given, defaulting to input.ck2
13-02-16 15:03:18: Getting CK2 data.
13-02-16 15:03:18: Getting building types.
13-02-16 15:03:19: Getting CK2 religions
13-02-16 15:03:19: Getting CK2 cultures
13-02-16 15:03:19: Parsing landed titles.
13-02-16 15:03:19: Getting traits
13-02-16 15:03:19: Getting opinion modifiers
13-02-16 15:03:19: Adding dynasties from CK2 Install
13-02-16 15:03:19: Parsing CK2 save.
13-02-16 15:03:19: Error: Could not open input.ck2

Try dragging and dropping your ck2 save onto the exe.

So here's what I got now:

Thousands of lines of this exact message:
13-02-16 15:10:40: Error: bad relationship modifier in ruled_years
One line of this message:
13-02-16 15:10:41: Error: Could not open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis III - Complete/mod/Converter/common/religion.txt
And a bunch of warnings that I think are working themselves out.

13-02-16 15:10:41: Error: Could not open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis III - Complete/mod/Converter/common/religion.txt
^ This part is weird since my mod folder only has a dummy in it. I checked.

So here's what I got now:

Thousands of lines of this exact message:
13-02-16 15:10:40: Error: bad relationship modifier in ruled_years
One line of this message:
And a bunch of warnings that I think are working themselves out.

^ This part is weird since my mod folder only has a dummy in it. I checked.

The first is a known issue with 1.09 saves (we don't support 1.09 yet). The second can be ignored.

Anyone got a save with some Tanistry going on that they can give me?

Just to update you I'm getting those two log errors messages mentioned above in every case. However for some saves a usable output EU3 save is made while for others I get a message from Windows saying: Ck2toEu3.exe has stopped working (the log ends abruptly and there is no output), windows is checking for a solution. I'm still experimenting with it, but it appears that the farther I get away from 1066 AD in game, the more likely I am to receive the "has stopped working" message. I'll keep trying and posting periodically as I try different things.

Anyone got a save with some Tanistry going on that they can give me?

Never mind, was able to create one myself. Just have to find a little time to implement it now.

Just to update you I'm getting those two log errors messages mentioned above in every case. However for some saves a usable output EU3 save is made while for others I get a message from Windows saying: Ck2toEu3.exe has stopped working (the log ends abruptly and there is no output), windows is checking for a solution. I'm still experimenting with it, but it appears that the farther I get away from 1066 AD in game, the more likely I am to receive the "has stopped working" message. I'll keep trying and posting periodically as I try different things.

I'm blanking on the details, but I seem to recall fixing a crash bug with 1.09 saves. The next release should work much better for you.

Does this converter work for mac? Would it ever work for mac? (Going from CKII 1.09 to EU3 In Nomine)

The savegame format is identical, so you can run it in wine/parallels/whatever and convert your game, or ask a friend with Windows to do it for you.

If you (or someone you know) has a little bit of C++ programming talent, you're welcome to port the converter itself to the mac. Shouldn't be difficult. I don't own a mac, so I'm not going to do it.