• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just tried this for the first time with my Roman Empire save, but i got this;

Any ideas or help?

regarding the error "Could not open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis III - Complete/mod/Converter/common/religion.txt"
change the EU3 directory in configuration.txt to just "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis III - Complete"

My thoughts for handling Republics. This and a dollar will get you something off the dollar menu.

Suggestion for CK2 trade posts: For every, say 3, that are connected to your capital trade zone, you get a merchant in the CoT in your capital. For those unconnected, you get a free merchant in your merchant pool to send overseas, since in a sense you already have sent them overseas.

Better but more complex suggestion: Each CoT counts the number of actual and possible TPs in its area and their owners and divvies up the merchants in that CoT proportionally.

TP upgrades: base tax upgrades should just add into whatever you're doing to calculate base tax of the EU3 province. Trade zone value upgrades should also be kind of transparent, roll the value of each TZ into the relvant CoT and don't bother with the details of where the TZ value came from.

The retinue ones are the only ones with complex effects. I think they need to play into slider settings, nudging towards mercantilism (state force used for merchant benefit), professional soldiers (all retinues really, not just TP retinues), and possibly naval vs land (portion of state professional military dedicated to naval / trade interests), as well as increasing manpower or starting troops in whatever way you choose to handle retinues in general.

So moving further in time in my Britannia save, I blobbed most of Europe and destroyed the HRE title. I think it causes the converter to crash:

https://mega.co.nz/#!4MlUmbpD!AZXItSsolqo8jlLunZLL5n9xFSpbdFv1RtS165ULa6g

I removed about a million times repeat "relationship bad modifier error" cause it was too large.

edit: created HRE title, converter worked. Definitely need that title to convert to EU3 D:

Last edited:
Seems after transferring all of the west has Muslim tech. Is there anyway to go about fixing this?

Same happened to me. I was playing handsoff until 17th century when I realized America was still not colonized, not even discovered. Then I loaded the game with different countries and I saw that all of them have muslim tech group.

Now there are no unit types available to be selected. :p

Well after manually editing it in the save to western unit types and tech I merged the units and hasn't crashed yet.

I'm glad it worked, but its odd that the unit types disappeared. Would you mind playing with that initial edit and see if you can pin down what changes cause 1) it to not crash 2) the unit types to disappear?

I'll probably solve the fallback by manually merging mappings from the CK2+ mapping file with the 06 file.
Other than that, the only problem I'll have left is that the tech groups are also all over the place and some governments don't make sense. But in that case I could just edit the savefile.

Yeah, techgroups need some serious tweaking. And that in turn affects governments (which probably need even more tweaking beyond the tech group stuff).

Just tried this for the first time with my Roman Empire save, but i got this;

snip

Any ideas or help?

Are you just referring to the error and the warning, or did things crash? If the first, the error is spurious (and I thought we got rid of it in the latest version), and the warning just means we had to arbitrarily assign a culture to that province from the source provinces.

My thoughts for handling Republics. This and a dollar will get you something off the dollar menu.

Suggestion for CK2 trade posts: For every, say 3, that are connected to your capital trade zone, you get a merchant in the CoT in your capital. For those unconnected, you get a free merchant in your merchant pool to send overseas, since in a sense you already have sent them overseas.

Better but more complex suggestion: Each CoT counts the number of actual and possible TPs in its area and their owners and divvies up the merchants in that CoT proportionally.

TP upgrades: base tax upgrades should just add into whatever you're doing to calculate base tax of the EU3 province. Trade zone value upgrades should also be kind of transparent, roll the value of each TZ into the relvant CoT and don't bother with the details of where the TZ value came from.

The retinue ones are the only ones with complex effects. I think they need to play into slider settings, nudging towards mercantilism (state force used for merchant benefit), professional soldiers (all retinues really, not just TP retinues), and possibly naval vs land (portion of state professional military dedicated to naval / trade interests), as well as increasing manpower or starting troops in whatever way you choose to handle retinues in general.

I like these ideas. Will have to keep them in mind when we create the relevant systems.

So moving further in time in my Britannia save, I blobbed most of Europe and destroyed the HRE title. I think it causes the converter to crash:

https://mega.co.nz/#!4MlUmbpD!AZXItSsolqo8jlLunZLL5n9xFSpbdFv1RtS165ULa6g

I removed about a million times repeat "relationship bad modifier error" cause it was too large.

edit: created HRE title, converter worked. Definitely need that title to convert to EU3 D:

Interesting. Good catch.

Edit: when that save is past 1399, could you upload it somewhere? It seems we need one without the HRE in our test suite.

Last edited:
Seems after transferring all of the west has Muslim tech. Is there anyway to go about fixing this?

Same happened to me. I was playing handsoff until 17th century when I realized America was still not colonized, not even discovered. Then I loaded the game with different countries and I saw that all of them have muslim tech group.

I had worried this would happen. I'm moving it up in priority to fix.

I've just run the converter on my Empire of Britannia save game from 1453, and the log file has a metric crapton of lines that read: "Error: bad relationship modifier in ruled_years", plus another bunch of warnings about how some titles never had a holder, and another bunch about not being able to assign a government. Plus, I got the line, "Error: Could not open H:\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis III - Complete/mod/Converter/common/religion.txt" which is odd, since in the config file, I have "EU3directory = "H:\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis III - Complete""

Save file - version 1.091 of CK2
Log file

Edit: I've just fired up EU3, and the select country screen for the converted save is... interesting. It's assigned names in some very strange ways, and places nations (so to speak) in some strange places. Here's the output file if that helps.

Edit 2: There are also no trade depots showing up. In fact, EU3 immediately does a CTD if I so much as mouseover the button which creates a CoT.

Last edited:
I have had the exact same problem as Chaos. Empire of Brittania, same errors. Anyone know anything?

Clearly, the converter doesn't like the Empire of Britannia... :p

I should have mentioned in the first post that I also has the Islamic tech group (at least, I was being prompted to upgrade to Muslim troop types), as well as no money:)unsure:), no troops (well, I didn't have any levies mobilised at the end of my CK2 game, so that probably explains it), -40 prestige :)blink:) and the National Decision to form the Irish Nation... which promptly changed me from the Empire of Britannia to the Something of Ireland.

the log file has a metric crapton of lines that read: "Error: bad relationship modifier in ruled_years"

1.09 is not yet supported.

plus another bunch of warnings about how some titles never had a holder

Believed to be harmless. We leave them in the log so that if those nations convert AND cause problems, we can identify possible causes.

and another bunch about not being able to assign a government.

Normal, unfortunately. As idhrendur wrote just a little ways above, government and tech groups both have some problems.

Plus, I got the line, "Error: Could not open H:\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis III - Complete/mod/Converter/common/religion.txt" which is odd, since in the config file, I have "EU3directory = "H:\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis III - Complete""

This just means you aren't targeting the converter mod, which is fine (we support both ways), but you'll get some strange tag assignments.

Edit: I've just fired up EU3, and the select country screen for the converted save is... interesting. It's assigned names in some very strange ways, and places nations (so to speak) in some strange places.

See the first post in this thread. If you don't use the converter mod, you'll get strange tag assignments.

Edit 2: There are also no trade depots showing up. In fact, EU3 immediately does a CTD if I so much as mouseover the button which creates a CoT.

Known problem. Let the game run for a month and a day (or is it two months?) before trying to manually create COTs. EU3 will create one automatically, then assign every province to it, and at that point it should all work OK.

I should have mentioned in the first post that I also has the Islamic tech group (at least, I was being prompted to upgrade to Muslim troop types),

As Idhrendur wrote above, tech groups are quirky at the moment and will need to be fixed.

as well as no money:)unsure:)

You should have 13 months' projected income.

no troops (well, I didn't have any levies mobilised at the end of my CK2 game, so that probably explains it)

This is normal...levies never convert, and retinue conversion isn't implemented yet. You also have no manpower, which is a known problem.

-40 prestige :)blink:)

I believe this happens because EU3 deducts prestige for the cores that you lose on the first day. The core loss is a known problem that will be fixed sometime. Hopefully once that works OK prestige will be more...predictable.

and the National Decision to form the Irish Nation... which promptly changed me from the Empire of Britannia to the Something of Ireland.

Working as intended. If Ireland does not exist, you own all Irish provinces, and you have Irish primary culture, you may form Ireland, regardless of your current title.

Ah, ok. I'll give it another shot and let you know how things turn out. I didn't notice previously that 1.091 wasn't yet supported, so I suppose my save game file can be used to help advance that cause. :)

Edit: Starting money and manpower still zero. A trade centre is created at the start of February, but it takes a little while for all of the trade routes to be sorted out (which I guess is supposed to happen), so until that happens, my monthly income is zero as well.

Last edited:
I fixed the bug with not being able to save converted games.

And the no starting money is because predicted incomes are zero. Which is a bug.