• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What if I select the location for ck2 in the configurations file to the CK2+ base mod folder? I'm betting it could possibly solve some issues (while most likely creating a crap ton more) lol.

What if I select the location for ck2 in the configurations file to the CK2+ base mod folder? I'm betting it could possibly solve some issues (while most likely creating a crap ton more) lol.

CK2+ has a slightly different structure. For example, it has buildings.txt and religion.txt in their respective folders, instead of directly in the common dir. So the converter will try looking for CK2plus\common\religion.txt, won't find it and the conversion will fail, since it's actually under CK2plus\common\religion\00_religions.txt
You need to move around the files according to where the converter looks them up..

Yes, that looks much better.

Code:
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: could not map religion judaism to any EU3 religions (province 465: Bersh)

This is probably an error in the CK2+ mapping files. Open religion_mappings.txt, change "jewish" to "judaism" and see if that helps.

That fixed that *thumbs up*

Code:
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: no possible EU3 locations for Mamadi Ouadene (currently in CK2 Province 944)
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: Trying to place Mamadi Ouadene in province 0, but it is not a valid province.
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: no possible EU3 locations for Soumaoro Ouadene (currently in CK2 Province 944)
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: Trying to place Soumaoro Ouadene in province 0, but it is not a valid province.
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: no possible EU3 locations for Dankaran Ouadene (currently in CK2 Province 944)
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: Trying to place Dankaran Ouadene in province 0, but it is not a valid province.
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: no possible EU3 locations for Azim Azimid (currently in CK2 Province 944)
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: Trying to place Azim Azimid in province 0, but it is not a valid province.
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: no possible EU3 locations for Kassa Ouadene (currently in CK2 Province 944)
13-01-15 18:37:07: 	Error: Trying to place Kassa Ouadene in province 0, but it is not a valid province.

The freeze and crash may be related to this problem. Looks like there's a missing province mapping. A small change to province_mappings.txt should address that: find province 944 in CK2+, and figure out what EU3 province ID you want it to map to. If there's already a province mapped to that EU3 province, add ck2 = 944 to the list, otherwise create a new line with the ck2 province and the eu3 province.
CK2+ #944 is Aral Sea, linked it to eu3 = 471 (Aral, Kyzylorda) and... the conversion worked! Awesomenss. Now to check out the save file in EU3 and see if everything's ok. Thanks :)

Last edited:
CK2+ has a slightly different structure. For example, it has buildings.txt and religion.txt in their respective folders, instead of directly in the common dir. So the converter will try looking for CK2plus\common\religion.txt, won't find it and the conversion will fail, since it's actually under CK2plus\common\religion\00_religions.txt
You need to move around the files according to where the converter looks them up..

The vanilla install has buildings.txt and religion.txt in their folders, as 00_ files. The ones in the "common" directory are marked "#OBSOLETE". I don't see why this would affect a mod's conversion.

It'd likely miss other files, ones not in the mod. But it might give informative error messages.

The vanilla install has buildings.txt and religion.txt in their folders, as 00_ files. The ones in the "common" directory are marked "#OBSOLETE". I don't see why this would affect a mod's conversion.

The converter has had to look those folders since 1.05 or so. It also looks at the files outside them, in case.

Wait...why are there characters in the Aral Sea? ;)

Off map characters often are placed there, even in the base game. Next time the Mongols invade, get to their leader's portrait before they grab any land, and check his location.

Off map characters often are placed there, even in the base game. Next time the Mongols invade, get to their leader's portrait before they grab any land, and check his location.

Whoa...strange. Guess it doesn't hurt anything...

Ok after looking over the log i have a few questions / conclusions. First question would be about the whole failing to create potential titles warning. When it says Warning: failed to create so and so title that means that the title wasn't active in the CK2 save and wont be created correct? If that is so the thing seems to go completely over all the extra traits errors which leads me to believe that the jewish communities buildings are the issue. If they are the issue how would I go about telling the converter to disregard them so I could continue with the conversion?

Ok after looking over the log i have a few questions / conclusions. First question would be about the whole failing to create potential titles warning. When it says Warning: failed to create so and so title that means that the title wasn't active in the CK2 save and wont be created correct? If that is so the thing seems to go completely over all the extra traits errors which leads me to believe that the jewish communities buildings are the issue. If they are the issue how would I go about telling the converter to disregard them so I could continue with the conversion?

Quite the opposite, in fact. Those errors are from when the titles/traits/buildings exist in your save, but the converter can't find the corresponding information from your install.

I've quite lost the thread of who've I suggested fixes to and who I haven't (and even if they worked), so my apologies is this is a repeat: have you tried putting the mod files directly in (a copy of) your CK2 directory before running an attempted conversion?

Edit: or try what The Fool did.

All I know is that it wouldn't work until I moved the CK2+ 00_buildings.txt to the common dir and renamed it buildings.txt
landed_titles worked fine however.

That's entirely odd. I've no clue what might be happening. But it works now for you?

Right, getting close to being able to do a release. I want to get the items in the second post under Todo For Next Release and Unresolved Bugs/Crashes/Oddities (though not necessarily all of the latter) done beforehand.

And to lay out my plans a bit (in case DTRemenak can easily get some of the bits), here's what I see that still needs doing for Vassal Independence - progressive blobification:
  • All junior PU members should have all CK2 vassals fully merged
  • Any CK2 vassal below first tier should be fully merged
  • Any rebellious CK2 vassals should be 'reattached' to their lieges
  • Any such rebellious vassals that get merged should have their territory controlled by rebels
  • Any such rebellious vassals that don't get merged should be at war with their liege
  • The appropriate stability penalties should be applied, though I'd be fine skipping this

DTRemenak, is there anything missing from my lists that you think we should absolutely have before the next release?

Edit: I think we should probably do an immediate release, then follow it up with one that gets us supporting 1.09 saves, instead of making everyone wait that much longer.

And to lay out my plans a bit (in case DTRemenak can easily get some of the bits), here's what I see that still needs doing for Vassal Independence - progressive blobification:
  • All junior PU members should have all CK2 vassals fully merged
  • Any CK2 vassal below first tier should be fully merged
  • Any rebellious CK2 vassals should be 'reattached' to their lieges
  • Any such rebellious vassals that get merged should have their territory controlled by rebels
  • Any such rebellious vassals that don't get merged should be at war with their liege
  • The appropriate stability penalties should be applied, though I'd be fine skipping this

DTRemenak, is there anything missing from my lists that you think we should absolutely have before the next release?

I agree regarding skipping stability for the time being. For that matter, I'd propose skipping rebellion handling too...or just temporarily grant cores for the parent, to allow them to declare war and reclaim it in EU3. Active war and CB conversion is likely to be a long and painful process, made much worse in the short term by the complete lack of manpower and armies.

Regarding your list of Unresolved Things on the first page, I am curious about the following items that I don't understand (or can't figure out the conditions that trigger):
* When converting provinces, trying to set continent before owner capital is determined?
* Parser skipping multi-line groups?

I tend to agree with your thoughts on advisors with 0 skill. I added a cap a while back so we no longer get game-breaking 7 skill advisors; if we really wanted to suppress 0 skill advisors we could do it the same place, but I like the flavor. I'm pretty sure the AI will never hire them, so they're harmless, unless they cause a performance problem.

Advisor exclusivity period appears to be based on the advisor start date (one year from then, they lose exclusivity). This is a serious problem for us because EU3 also uses the SAME date to determine when an advisor should die of old age, so our current approach of setting the start date to birth + 16 years is necessary to preserve decent advisor lifespans. I don't have a solution for this.

There is one other issue that I'm aware of that should probably be resolved...EU3 likes to strip off about 70% of the cores we add on day 1. I believe we may need to concoct some additional province history to avoid this (my current theory is that EU3 believes they're more than 50 years old, and therefore expired).

Edit: I think we should probably do an immediate release, then follow it up with one that gets us supporting 1.09 saves, instead of making everyone wait that much longer.

Release early, release often! :) IMHO the relevant question is not "is it good?", it's "is it better than the current release?", and that should be a pretty easy mark to hit for us right now.

I agree regarding skipping stability for the time being. For that matter, I'd propose skipping rebellion handling too...or just temporarily grant cores for the parent, to allow them to declare war and reclaim it in EU3. Active war and CB conversion is likely to be a long and painful process, made much worse in the short term by the complete lack of manpower and armies.

My concern with rebellion handling is that it can adversely affect the 'progressive blobification' dynamic. Vassals who are currently rebelling will always be converted as independent, which is defintely not what we want to happen. But, you're right in that we can probably defer it until we handle wars.

Regarding your list of Unresolved Things on the first page, I am curious about the following items that I don't understand (or can't figure out the conditions that trigger):
* When converting provinces, trying to set continent before owner capital is determined?
* Parser skipping multi-line groups?

For the first, I worded that badly (it was copied straight from my personal notes, and thus originally just needed to make sense to me). 'Continent' should be 'distant overseas'. I was concerned that we were doing thing in an odd order, perhaps giving odd results. Capitals should be set before land connections are figured out. For that matter, countries should be merged first. We probably need to move that operation before a lot of things.

The second is from trying to make ROTW cores pick up history. The add_core and remove_core effects don't seem to be picked up when the history group they're in is multi-line. It all I could think of that might break things, honestly. There aren't many potential examples to look at, and from what I was, they're ALL multi-line, which is the only odd feature about them. Of course, I can't seem to reason why that would choke the parser, but I tend to have a really hard time reasoning about the parser (to my shame. I thought my top-of-the-class tests in my compilers class meant I was good at this…).

I tend to agree with your thoughts on advisors with 0 skill. I added a cap a while back so we no longer get game-breaking 7 skill advisors; if we really wanted to suppress 0 skill advisors we could do it the same place, but I like the flavor. I'm pretty sure the AI will never hire them, so they're harmless, unless they cause a performance problem.

Someone agrees! Taking them off the list!

Advisor exclusivity period appears to be based on the advisor start date (one year from then, they lose exclusivity). This is a serious problem for us because EU3 also uses the SAME date to determine when an advisor should die of old age, so our current approach of setting the start date to birth + 16 years is necessary to preserve decent advisor lifespans. I don't have a solution for this.

Yeah, it seems we have to choose on that. Let's go with preserving the lifespan. It makes sense to assume they're generally past the exclusivity period.

There is one other issue that I'm aware of that should probably be resolved...EU3 likes to strip off about 70% of the cores we add on day 1. I believe we may need to concoct some additional province history to avoid this (my current theory is that EU3 believes they're more than 50 years old, and therefore expired).

I'll add it to the list.

Release early, release often! :) IMHO the relevant question is not "is it good?", it's "is it better than the current release?", and that should be a pretty easy mark to hit for us right now.

Quite so! You'll notice I've tried to have small sets of related functionality I add with each release. Though maybe I should start doing minor releases again (as I did when working on succession laws). In any case, I've had two goals for this release. First, to implement "Diplomacy: Relations, vassals, unions, mergers". Second, seeing as the last release got people trying to actually use this converter (instead of just experimenting to see what they might get once it's good enough), fix the major bugs and annoyances. It seems 'good enough' from a feature standpoint and 'good enough' from a QA standpoint are different. Time to bring them in line. Edit: see, for example, Joel Test #5. Admittedly, most of the bugs were unknown because we have no testers, and the end-users hadn't really tried yet. But now that we know…

Edit: 'Distant overseas', not 'land connection'. The latter helps determine the former.

Last edited:
Quite the opposite, in fact. Those errors are from when the titles/traits/buildings exist in your save, but the converter can't find the corresponding information from your install.

I've quite lost the thread of who've I suggested fixes to and who I haven't (and even if they worked), so my apologies is this is a repeat: have you tried putting the mod files directly in (a copy of) your CK2 directory before running an attempted conversion?

Edit: or try what The Fool did.

I have not, I run multiple mods like lux invicta and TPTT so copying over the vanilla files is something I would like to avoid. I also like to keep my files nice and clean so making backups of all the files is something I again would like to avoid. If you can assure me that it would work then I would do so for the conversion process.

I have not, I run multiple mods like lux invicta and TPTT so copying over the vanilla files is something I would like to avoid. I also like to keep my files nice and clean so making backups of all the files is something I again would like to avoid. If you can assure me that it would work then I would do so for the conversion process.

Unfortunately, that's just a best guess. Though with making a copy, you'd just have to keep that copy around long enough for a successful conversion. After that, you'd not need it anymore.

Also, it'd be nice to confirm if I need to add 'looking into mod directories' to our future features list.

so whats with it and being unable to train units at all in eu3? seems theres no way to change how the tech type gets put on nation.