• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Starting Agents

I've implemented some basic rules for starting agents. Idhendrur's analysis of EU3 data showed that each country starts with 13 months of agents, based on the rate they are accumulated. I didn't want to spend the time to figure out how EU3 determines accumulation rates (and it varies between expansions), and starting agents are a pretty transient thing, so I did something else that I thought makes sense.

Each starting agent pool is based on your ruler's state statistics; Stewardship counts twice (for merchants and magistrates).
Merchants start at State Stewardship / 15.
Colonists start at State Martial / 15.
Diplomats start at State Diplomacy / 15.
Missionaries start at State Learning / 15.
Spies start at State Intrigue / 15.
Magistrates start at State Stewardship / 15.

Why 15? For each statistic, 30 is an excellent score (maybe absurdly so). If you, your advisor, and your spouse average 30 in a given stat, your state stat will be 75, and you will get 5 starting agents of that type.

In practice, this means that most countries start with 1 to 3 agents of each type. It's not perfect, and won't work for ROTW, but it's better than nothing.

I had a late start Italian duke game, and now I'm the Roman Empire. It had been my intention to convert to EU3 since I started, but I didn't count on becoming the Roman Empire, least of all in freaking December 1452 - I thought I was just going to be Italy. I haven't actually played EU3 yet, but I've heard that this thing converts the Roman Empire back to the Byzantine Empire, which would just plain suck - I spent 10 in-game years frantically running around trying to become Rome (didn't have LoR until it was ~1442, but was Byzantine Empire for a couple decades before that). How do I add the Roman Empire? It'd probably be just a carbon copy of the Byzies, but with a nice washed-out red instead of royal purple and whatever else would be easy to change. Still, I want my bragging rights.

Also, if I usurped the Golden Horde because it got some de jure lands and I conquered them, would I own all their off-map stuff? I had the opportunity to do so but I figured it would mess EU3 up. Also, do hordes which lose all their crap (the Ilkhanate got eaten by Timmy in my game) have any off-map lands in EU3? That would probably justify their continued existence as what amounts to an extremely prestigious courtier.

I had a late start Italian duke game, and now I'm the Roman Empire. It had been my intention to convert to EU3 since I started, but I didn't count on becoming the Roman Empire, least of all in freaking December 1452 - I thought I was just going to be Italy. I haven't actually played EU3 yet, but I've heard that this thing converts the Roman Empire back to the Byzantine Empire, which would just plain suck - I spent 10 in-game years frantically running around trying to become Rome (didn't have LoR until it was ~1442, but was Byzantine Empire for a couple decades before that). How do I add the Roman Empire? It'd probably be just a carbon copy of the Byzies, but with a nice washed-out red instead of royal purple and whatever else would be easy to change. Still, I want my bragging rights.

Also, if I usurped the Golden Horde because it got some de jure lands and I conquered them, would I own all their off-map stuff? I had the opportunity to do so but I figured it would mess EU3 up. Also, do hordes which lose all their crap (the Ilkhanate got eaten by Timmy in my game) have any off-map lands in EU3? That would probably justify their continued existence as what amounts to an extremely prestigious courtier.

To get he Roman Empire in EU3, you'd need to mod it in as a nation, then just add the mapping to the converters rules. Alternately, wait. When my AAR gets to the conversion point, I will be giving much love to Rome in the converter mod.

As for the GH, it depends. If their title is below yours and gets merged to yours (or is at the same level and gets merged), then by a quirk of the order we do things, you would not get their off-map territory (though by 1452, there's surprisingly little, the CK2 map goes farther east than it sometimes seems). If the GH title becomes your primary or is in a PU under you, then yes, you would get anything off-map.

Off map stuff in general stays exactly how it would be in an EU3 game. So the Ilkhanate gets nothing, the GH might get a little depending on start date, and the Timmies always have central asia.

Independent barons were taking up 50-60 tags(!), which was really messing up the progressive blobification. They are now force-vassalized to their de jure liege.

This may be a stupid question but where is the converter directory? (The place where i put the input.ck2)

Wherever you unzipped the download.

Code:
13-01-02 20:59:16: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 19 due to ties.
13-01-02 20:59:16: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 405 due to ties.

I keep getting this, converting from latest (non-beta) CK 2 (1.08) to EU 3 (5.1) versions. Help?

http://www.mediafire.com/?t50pw16cag09nj0 save in case you need it

Code:
13-01-02 20:59:16: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 19 due to ties.
13-01-02 20:59:16: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 405 due to ties.

I keep getting this, converting from latest (non-beta) CK 2 (1.08) to EU 3 (5.1) versions. Help?

http://www.mediafire.com/?t50pw16cag09nj0 save in case you need it

Known bug, will be fixed in the next release.

With regards to the Roman Empire, could it be made so that the tag converts to HRE instead of BYZ, unless HRE exists in the CK2 game or the CK2 country's culture is Greek? (Also, you can form Rome with countries other than the Byzzies? I never knew...)

I have converted my savegame from 1401-Frisia but when I start my country (now Netherlands) doesn't have any possebilety to build an army ,except for mercenaries, nor can I build a fleet, but my neighbours seem to be able to...
I hope someone could help me out.

With regards to the Roman Empire, could it be made so that the tag converts to HRE instead of BYZ, unless HRE exists in the CK2 game or the CK2 country's culture is Greek? (Also, you can form Rome with countries other than the Byzzies? I never knew...)

If you wanted to, you could: just edit the country mappings. But I'm not at all inclined to make it a default setup. In the vast majority of cases, the HRE will still exist. And besides, the HRE is something entirely different from the Roman Empire in any of it's incarnations.

Also, you do have to at least hold the Byzantine title to form Rome. Here's the decision:

Code:
restore_roman_empire = {
		is_high_prio = yes
		potential = {
			has_dlc = "Legacy of Rome"
			age = 16
			prisoner = no
			NOT = { trait = incapable }
			[i]has_landed_title = e_byzantium[/i]
			religion_group = christian
		}
		allow = {
			prestige = 3000
			completely_controls = d_latium
			completely_controls = d_venice
			completely_controls = d_ferrara
			completely_controls = d_sicily
			completely_controls = d_genoa
			completely_controls = d_capua
			completely_controls = d_apulia
			completely_controls = d_thrace
			completely_controls = d_antioch
			completely_controls = d_jerusalem
			completely_controls = d_alexandria
			completely_controls = d_athens
			completely_controls = d_tunis
			completely_controls = d_croatia
		}
		effect = {
			narrative_event = { id = LoR.20 tooltip = EVTTOOLTIPLoR.20 }
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}

Note the bit in italics. Now, you could do any number of clever things to get your hands on that title, but at the very least you'd have (in EU3 terms) a personal union with the Byzantine Empire first.

I have converted my savegame from 1401-Frisia but when I start my country (now Netherlands) doesn't have any possebilety to build an army ,except for mercenaries, nor can I build a fleet, but my neighbours seem to be able to...
I hope someone could help me out.

A known problem that will be fixed in the next release. If you want to use the current version, you can edit in the unit types to your save, or wait until you get an improved type from tech.

If you wanted to, you could: just edit the country mappings. But I'm not at all inclined to make it a default setup. In the vast majority of cases, the HRE will still exist. And besides, the HRE is something entirely different from the Roman Empire in any of it's incarnations.

Well obviously, but it's the only country in vanilla EU3 with "Roman Empire" in its name and therefore the only other available option. Also, if a player is successful enough to form the Roman Empire, most likely they'll either have also completed a "world conquest" or close to it, so I wouldn't say the HRE would still exist in most cases.

Analyst types, I've something for you to examine for me.

It looks as if vassals who are at war with their liege automatically get independence in EU3 thanks to the way it's all processed. I'd like to consider them as CK2 vassals, and decide whether they get independence the same as everyone else. To that end, I need to know the details of how we might connect these again.

I guess there are two things to determine:
1. In a vassal-liege war, is the liege always the first defender listed in the save?
2. How can we determine if any given war is a vassal-liege war?

For the second, I'm guessing the CB for the war can tell us, and I have a tentative list of the CBs I thinks are relevant:
claim_on_liege
claim_on_liege_plot
claim_on_vassal_plot
other_claim_on_liege
change_seniority_succession_law
change_primogeniture_succession_law
change_feudal_elective_succession_law
bid_for_independence
depose_liege
overthrow_ruler
overthrow_ruler_no_calls
succession_on_liege
other_succession
other_succession_on_liege
change_gavelkind_succession_law
lower_crown_authority_law
weaken_vassal_plot
cb_faction_independence

Both of those factors are covered by the casus_belli block in the file for each relevant CB type. The CB's "actor" is the vassal, and "recipient" is the liege, unless the CB type has three people, (i.e. "other_whatever") in which case the vassal is "third_party".

Ran across that while reading war info for the opinion stuff.

Both of those factors are covered by the casus_belli block in the file for each relevant CB type. The CB's "actor" is the vassal, and "recipient" is the liege, unless the CB type has three people, (i.e. "other_whatever") in which case the vassal is "third_party".

Ran across that while reading war info for the opinion stuff.

Yeah, I saw you had a whole war block of code. Thus my asking: I figured others might just know. In any case, that will make things much easier (and extensible if any mods add CB types, too!).

everything seems to be running smoothly, except once it reaches this point:
Code:
13-01-06 15:00:20: Converting provinces.
13-01-06 15:00:20: 	Total historical base tax is 2699.000000.
13-01-06 15:00:20: 	Total historical population is 6072689.000000.
13-01-06 15:00:20: 	Total historical manpower is 1658.000000.
13-01-06 15:00:20: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 127 due to ties.
It crashes. I hope this helps development!

everything seems to be running smoothly, except once it reaches this point:
Code:
13-01-06 15:00:20: Converting provinces.
13-01-06 15:00:20: 	Total historical base tax is 2699.000000.
13-01-06 15:00:20: 	Total historical population is 6072689.000000.
13-01-06 15:00:20: 	Total historical manpower is 1658.000000.
13-01-06 15:00:20: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 127 due to ties.
It crashes. I hope this helps development!

Can you upload your save somewhere so I can take a look?