• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For the first, I'm not so sure. What happens if you're King of France and have become, say, King of Andalusia via a Crusade? Should that be a personal union?

Well, a personal union is two nations with separate governments, but one person ruling both, so yes. Unless they meet certain requirements (yet to be determined) that allow us to merge them. Given the way CK2 records these things, that's how it has to be: merging kingdoms together is something we have to explicitly do.

personal union is a hard nut to crack at the same time you dont want to bigg blobes to go to the next game but at the same time if i have criated the kingdom of finland as sweden at say 1080 way would it consider it to be something ellse then a part of sweden in the year 1400 it have allways been that way ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_union
some of the unions is gamewise one other are unions and some says union after they sucseeded with a rebelion and clamed independence.....
might one event in the biggining of the game where the kings (if not you) can deside independence in a unoin or part of the motherland depends on what they feals abute you..?

Well, we would only convert nations as unions if the same character rules both nations. If certain conditions (which we haven't decided on, but most likely succession laws will matter) are met, then we'll merge the PU into a single nation at conversion. As for splitting away from the PU, that's all down to how it works out in EU3.

A converter that converts to an EU3 "mod" would be useless for those who use converters to go through several or even all of the Paradox games.
The "grand games" are the most visible use of these converters as they often make very popular AARs.

I am myself looking for a CK2->EU3:DW->Vic2->HoI3 converted game and am hoping this converter will be useful for that.

Indeed, that's why we output a save game. But we'll also offer a mod that allows more of the CK2 flavor to convert over properly. And since we're the same team that are making the other converters, we will ensure that using a converter mod will not break compatibility with the later converters.

I've done initial culture mapping for European provinces. But I've run into an issue.

We have many cases where multiple CK2 provinces are mapped to an EU3 province. The culture in the most provinces is considered the culture that will be mapped. However, if the cultures end up tied for number of provinces, then I use the cultures of the barons to decide among the province cultures. Barons with other cultures are not counted. Which leads to a problem if all the barons have different cultures than the provinces under consideration (it seems to happen 1-3 times per converted game). I'm not sure what to do in this case: the way the code is written right now, no culture is placed in the EU3 province.

I've done initial culture mapping for European provinces. But I've run into an issue.

We have many cases where multiple CK2 provinces are mapped to an EU3 province. The culture in the most provinces is considered the culture that will be mapped. However, if the cultures end up tied for number of provinces, then I use the cultures of the barons to decide among the province cultures. Barons with other cultures are not counted. Which leads to a problem if all the barons have different cultures than the provinces under consideration (it seems to happen 1-3 times per converted game). I'm not sure what to do in this case: the way the code is written right now, no culture is placed in the EU3 province.

Check the cultures of adjacent provinces maybe? Although I guess you'd still have a problem if none of those matched either.

If you run out of tie breakers, just make it randomly pick one of the eligible cultures?

The converter is crashing on me. I read what I should do to post my logs but without instructions for "dummies" this is the best that I can do.

Here is a log.
Reading configuration file.
12-08-03 22:40:18: No input file given, defaulting to input.ck2
12-08-03 22:40:18: Getting CK2 data.

Here is my save. I hope I did it right as I'm not to familiar with sourceforge.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ck2save/

Does this look like it was entered right?
configuration =
{
# Europa Universalis 3 directory: a path on your computer where Europa Universalis 3 is installed
EU3directory = "F:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III"

# Crusader Kings 2 directory: a path on your computer where Crusader Kings 2 is installed
CK2directory = "F:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II"

# HRE Title: the CK2 Title that will convert are the HRE in EU3. All immediate vassals will be independent.
HRETitle = "e_hre"
}

Thanks for any help provided.

I haven't put the latest changes (which fix the complete crash caused by the 1.06) into a release just yet, so unless you're compiling from source this is a known issue. It probably won't be fixed until next release, but next release is probably the first approximation to a playable game anyways…

Could you use the province levies as a tiebreak, as a proxy for which province has the largest population?

I've done initial culture mapping for European provinces. But I've run into an issue....

Courtiers? There's gonna be a lot of named characters that are from the provinces in question that aren't barons or rulers. In fact, you can make a strong case from counting the characters that live in those provinces before counting barons (since they may be a slightly better indication of the general population than the barons are). You can infer their current location (court) from who there employer is.

Code:
employer=CHARACTER_ID

The idea of using levies as a tiebreaker has me now thinking I could use the village/town/city sizes as an indicator of overall province population.

Though I've been working on distinguishing cultures instead. This distinguishers I ended up using while figuring out a more detailed culture mapping are:
  • de_jure - a de jure title the province is a part of
  • kingdom_culture - the official culture of the highest-level title ruling the province
  • hre_member - is in the HRE
  • religion - the religion of the province

de jure isn't working quite yet - I have to get all the details from landed titles to map out which titles are de jure ruled by others. That's tomorrow's project, I think.

Oh, and we'll need to add these cultures to the converter mod:
  • saxon
  • komi
  • kurdish
  • alan
  • cuman
  • pecheneg

Does anyone know how this compares to the other CKII to EU3 converter?

Does anyone know how this compares to the other CKII to EU3 converter?

Well, the other one creates a playable save. This one does not yet do so.

Long term, though:
The main difference that I can see is in the work process.
Idhrendur is running a rather democratic group project, this project is one mans work.
This means that I can work faster but as I don't discust my decisions for a long time with a lot of other players I'm more likely to make mistakes.
It also means that my project is all dependent on me, if I don't like to work on it for some time then no work gets done at all.
So this project is ahead now but the other one is likely to be the better one for most users when it's done.

Of course I'm still open to input from anyone and I have made my converter more moddable by using lua functions.

The main reason that I started my own project instead of joining Idhrendur was that I wanted a running converter for my own game as soon as possible.
The year 1453 was getting closer and I had a realy good game going so I started to look for a converter, found one, saw that it was not developed fast enough and made my own as fast as I could.

I think that the best way of converting the population will be to check the size of villages, towns and cities, giving more weight to cities. I think it represents perfectly the historical social evolution form the castle-nobility-based population to the cities-plutocracy-based population. In CK2 a castle might be more useful than a city, but in EU3, thinking long term, a city has more power than a castle that comes from the Middle Ages.

I've got distinguishers for cultures working, it took more effort than I expected. And the parser seems to not get all the baronies recorded. I've jerry-rigged things so it recovers, but it needs looking into (and I really can't figure out what it might be; I'm not good at the parser).

I've also got ROTW cultures imported. It was quite easy, it turns out.

All that's left to do with cultures (other than fixing the parser) is to implement tie-breakers correctly. I'm going to postpone that in favor of some other bits.

Culture Coversion
(Updated 22/8/2012)
European cultures are determined from the CK2 cultures. The specific details of how they map are in culture_mappings.txt. Rules are executed in order, so more general rules should be beneath specific ones.

If multiple CK2 provinces map to a EU3 province, we use the population proxies from the population conversion to determine which culture is chosen (majority wins). In the case of a tie, we use first the base tax proxies and then the manpower proxies to try to break the tie. In the case of a continued tie, the results are arbitrary, and a warning is output.

In the case where a single CK2 culture maps to multiple EU3 cultures, there are four distinguishers that can be added to rules to determine the specifics:
  • de_jure - a de jure title the province is a part of
  • kingdom_culture - the official culture of the highest-level title ruling the province
  • hre_member - is in the HRE
  • religion - the religion of the province

As well, in those cases where a single CK2 culture maps to multiple EU3 cultures, attempts have been made to determine which of the EU3 cultures would apply best if the CK2 culture spreads. This is currently only applied to (CK2) countries that immediately border the relevant region, but could in theory be extended to the whole map.

Links To Culture Conversion Posts
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

Last edited:
Would a write-up of of some of the specific choices I made in updating the culture maps be useful? For that matter, would you like me to post the new cultual mapping rules?

Culture Mapping Rules:

Code:
cultureMap = {

## Germanic
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = pommeranian de_jure = d_pommerania }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = pommeranian de_jure = d_pomeralia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = pommeranian de_jure = d_mecklemburg }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = prussian de_jure = d_livonia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = prussian de_jure = d_prussia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = prussian de_jure = d_polotsk }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = prussian de_jure = d_lithuanians }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = prussian de_jure = d_courland }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = prussian de_jure = d_samogitia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = hannoverian de_jure = d_brunswick }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = hannoverian de_jure = d_skane }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = hannoverian de_jure = d_sjaelland }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = hannoverian de_jure = d_slesvig }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = hannoverian de_jure = d_holstein }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = hessian de_jure = d_thuringia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = saxon de_jure = d_saxony }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = saxon de_jure = d_brandenburg }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = saxon de_jure = d_meissen }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = saxon de_jure = d_mazovia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = saxon de_jure = d_greater_poland }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = saxon de_jure = d_lesser_poland }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = saxon de_jure = d_kuyavia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_koln }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_provence }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_savoie }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_dauphine }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_upper_burgundy }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_luxembourg }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_upper_lorraine }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_lower_lorraine }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_alsace }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_susa }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_lombardia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_genoa }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_modena }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_toscana }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_pisa }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_latium }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_sardinia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_aquitaine }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_sardinia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_toulouse }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_gascogne }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_poitou }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_auvergne }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_bourbon }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_berry }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_champagne }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = rheinlaender de_jure = d_burgundy }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = bavarian de_jure = d_franconia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = bavarian de_jure = d_baden }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = bavarian de_jure = d_swabia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = bavarian de_jure = d_franconia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = bavarian de_jure = d_bavaria }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = bavarian de_jure = d_bohemia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = bavarian de_jure = d_moravia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_osterreich }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_tyrol }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_carinthia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_pecs }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_esztergom }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_nyitra }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_ungvar }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_pest }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_transylvania }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_temes }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_slavonia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_bosnia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_croatia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_dalmatia }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_temes }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_venice }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_verona }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_ferrara }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_ancona }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = austrian de_jure = d_spoleto }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = dutch de_jure = d_holland }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = dutch de_jure = d_gelre }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = dutch de_jure = d_brabant }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = dutch de_jure = d_flanders }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = dutch de_jure = d_anjou }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = dutch de_jure = d_normandy }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = dutch de_jure = d_orleans }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = dutch de_jure = d_valois }
link = { ck2 = german eu3 = hessian }
link = { ck2 = dutch eu3 = flemish kingdom_culture = frankish }
link = { ck2 = dutch eu3 = flemish kingdom_culture = norman }
link = { ck2 = dutch eu3 = flemish kingdom_culture = occitan }
link = { ck2 = dutch eu3 = dutch }

## Scandinavian
link = { ck2 = swedish eu3 = swedish }
link = { ck2 = danish eu3 = danish }
link = { ck2 = norwegian eu3 = norwegian }

## British
link = { ck2 = saxon eu3 = english }
link = { ck2 = english eu3 = english }
link = { ck2 = scottish eu3 = scottish }

## Gaelic
link = { ck2 = welsh eu3 = welsh }
link = { ck2 = breton eu3 = breton }
link = { ck2 = irish eu3 = irish }

## Latin
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = lombard de_jure = d_venice }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = lombard de_jure = d_verona }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = lombard de_jure = d_susa }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = lombard de_jure = d_genoa }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = lombard de_jure = k_italy hre_member = true }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = umbrian de_jure = k_italy }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = sicilian de_jure = K_sicily }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = sicilian de_jure = d_benevento }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = sicilian de_jure = d_capua }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = sicilian de_jure = d_apulia }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = sicilian de_jure = d_salerno }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = sicilian de_jure = d_calabria }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = sicilian de_jure = d_sicily }
link = { ck2 = italian eu3 = umbrian }

## Iberian
link = { ck2 = castillan eu3 = castillian }
link = { ck2 = catalan eu3 = catalan }
link = { ck2 = castillan eu3 = galician de_jure = d_galicia }
link = { ck2 = castillan eu3 = galician de_jure = d_porto }
link = { ck2 = portuguese eu3 = galician de_jure = d_galicia }
link = { ck2 = portuguese eu3 = galician de_jure = d_porto }
link = { ck2 = andalusian_arabic eu3 = andalucian }
link = { ck2 = portuguese eu3 = portugese }
link = { ck2 = castillan eu3 = maltese de_jure = K_sicily }
link = { ck2 = castillan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_benevento }
link = { ck2 = castillan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_capua }
link = { ck2 = castillan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_apulia }
link = { ck2 = castillan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_salerno }
link = { ck2 = castillan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_calabria }
link = { ck2 = castillan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_sicily }
link = { ck2 = catalan eu3 = maltese de_jure = K_sicily }
link = { ck2 = catalan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_benevento }
link = { ck2 = catalan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_capua }
link = { ck2 = catalan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_apulia }
link = { ck2 = catalan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_salerno }
link = { ck2 = catalan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_calabria }
link = { ck2 = catalan eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_sicily }
link = { ck2 = andalusian_arabic eu3 = maltese de_jure = K_sicily }
link = { ck2 = andalusian_arabic eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_benevento }
link = { ck2 = andalusian_arabic eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_capua }
link = { ck2 = andalusian_arabic eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_apulia }
link = { ck2 = andalusian_arabic eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_salerno }
link = { ck2 = andalusian_arabic eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_calabria }
link = { ck2 = andalusian_arabic eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_sicily }
link = { ck2 = portuguese eu3 = maltese de_jure = K_sicily }
link = { ck2 = portuguese eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_benevento }
link = { ck2 = portuguese eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_capua }
link = { ck2 = portuguese eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_apulia }
link = { ck2 = portuguese eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_salerno }
link = { ck2 = portuguese eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_calabria }
link = { ck2 = portuguese eu3 = maltese de_jure = d_sicily }

## french
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = gascon de_jure = d_gascogne }
link = { ck2 = norman eu3 = normand }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = aquitaine de_jure = d_aquitaine }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = aquitaine de_jure = d_poitou }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = aquitaine de_jure = d_berry }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = aquitaine de_jure = d_anjou }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = aquitaine de_jure = d_normandy }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = aquitaine de_jure = d_orleans }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = aquitaine de_jure = d_champagne }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = aquitaine de_jure = d_valois }
link = { ck2 = frankish eu3 = burgundian de_jure = d_burgundy }
link = { ck2 = frankish eu3 = burgundian de_jure = d_savoie }
link = { ck2 = frankish eu3 = burgundian de_jure = d_burgundy }
link = { ck2 = frankish eu3 = burgundian de_jure = d_dauphine }
link = { ck2 = frankish eu3 = burgundian de_jure = d_upper_burgundy }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = occitain de_jure = d_toulouse }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = occitain de_jure = d_auvergne }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = occitain de_jure = d_bourbon }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = occitain de_jure = d_burgundy }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = occitain de_jure = d_savoie }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = occitain de_jure = d_dauphine }
link = { ck2 = occitan eu3 = occitain de_jure = d_upper_burgundy }
link = { ck2 = frankish eu3 = wallonian de_jure = d_holland }
link = { ck2 = frankish eu3 = wallonian de_jure = d_gelre }
link = { ck2 = frankish eu3 = wallonian de_jure = d_brabant }
link = { ck2 = frankish eu3 = wallonian de_jure = d_flanders }
link = { ck2 = frankish eu3 = cosmopolitan_french }

## Basque
link = { ck2 = basque eu3 = basque }

## Finno-Ugric
link = { ck2 = ugricbaltic eu3 = ugricbaltic }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_esthonia }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_livonia }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_prussia }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_polotsk }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_lithuanians }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_courland }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_samogitia }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_novgorod }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_rostov }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_tver }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_yaroslavl }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_vladimir }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = estonian de_jure = d_moskva }
link = { ck2 = lappish eu3 = sapmi }
#link = { ck2 = ?? eu3 = ingrian }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = karelian de_jure = d_karelia }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = karelian de_jure = d_bjarmia }
link = { ck2 = finnsh eu3 = karelian de_jure = d_beloozero }
link = { ck2 = finnish eu3 = finnish }

## South Slavic
link = { ck2 = croatian eu3 = croatian }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_nikaea }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_samos }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_aegean_islands }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_thrace }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_adrianopolis }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_thessalonika }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_dyrrachion }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_epirus }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_athens }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_achaia }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_krete }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_cyprus }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = albanian de_jure = d_cibyrrhaeot }
link = { ck2 = serbian eu3 = serbian }
link = { ck2 = bulgarian eu3 = bulgarian }
link = { ck2 = romanian eu3 = romanian }

# West Slavic
link = { ck2 = bohemian eu3 = czech }
link = { ck2 = hungarian eu3 = hungarian }
link = { ck2 = polish eu3 = schlesian de_jure = d_silesia }
link = { ck2 = polish eu3 = schlesian de_jure = d_bohemia }
link = { ck2 = polish eu3 = schlesian de_jure = d_moravia }
link = { ck2 = polish ck2 = pommeranian eu3 = polish }

## East Slavic
link = { ck2 = komi eu3 = russian }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_turov }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_volhynia }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_livonia }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_prussia }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_polotsk }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_lithuanians }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_courland }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_samogitia }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_mazovia }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_greater_poland }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_silesia }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_lesser_poland }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = byelorussian de_jure = d_kuyavia }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_kiev }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_galich }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_pecs }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_esztergom }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_nyitra }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_ungvar }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_pest }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_transylvania }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_temes }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_wallachia }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = ruthenian de_jure = d_moldau }
link = { ck2 = russian eu3 = russian }

## Baltic
link = { ck2 = lithuanian eu3 = lithuanian }
link = { ck2 = prussian eu3 = old_prussian }
link = { ck2 = lettigallish eu3 = latvian }

## Byzantine
link = { ck2 = greek eu3 = greek }
link = { ck2 = georgian eu3 = georgian }
link = { ck2 = armenian eu3 = armenian }

## Turko-Semitic
link = { ck2 = maghreb_arabic eu3 = maghreb_arabic de_jure = d_marrakech }
link = { ck2 = egyptian_arabic eu3 = al_misr_arabic }
link = { ck2 = levantine_arabic eu3 = al_iraqiya_arabic religion = shiite }
link = { ck2 = levantine_arabic eu3 = al_suryah_arabic }
link = { ck2 = bedouin_arabic eu3 = bedouin_arabic }
link = { ck2 = maghreb_arabic eu3 = berber }
link = { ck2 = turkish eu3 = turkish }

## Iranian
link = { ck2 = kurdish eu3 = persian }
link = { ck2 = persian eu3 = east_persian de_jure = d_khorasan }
link = { ck2 = persian eu3 = east_persian de_jure = d_merv }
link = { ck2 = persian eu3 = east_persian de_jure = d_khiva }
link = { ck2 = persian eu3 = east_persian de_jure = d_bukhara }
link = { ck2 = persian eu3 = east_persian de_jure = d_khwarizmian }
link = { ck2 = persian eu3 = east_persian de_jure = d_aktobe }
link = { ck2 = persian eu3 = baluchi de_jure = d_hormuz }
link = { ck2 = persian eu3 = baluchi de_jure = d_birjand }
link = { ck2 = persian eu3 = persian }

## Altaic
link = { ck2 = alan ck2 = cuman ck2 = pecheneg eu3 = tartar }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_kermanshah }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_tigris }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_basra }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_baghdad }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_mosul }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_tabriz }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_kartli }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_derbent }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_abkhazia }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_azerbaijan }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_armenia }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_mesopotamia }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_edessa }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_coloneia }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = azerbadjani de_jure = d_armenia_minor }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = turkmeni de_jure = d_khiva }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = turkmeni de_jure = d_bukhara }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = turkmeni de_jure = d_merv }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = turkmeni de_jure = d_khorasan }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = turkmeni de_jure = d_mazandaran }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = turkmeni de_jure = d_esfahan }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = turkmeni de_jure = d_hormuz }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = turkmeni de_jure = d_fars }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = turkmeni de_jure = d_hamadan }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = turkmeni de_jure = d_birjand }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = uralic de_jure = c_ryn_desert }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = uralic de_jure = c_mansia }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = uralic de_jure = c_tyumen }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = siberian de_jure = c_omsk }
link = { ck2 = mongol eu3 = tartar }

## African
#link = { ck2 = ?? eu3 = tuareg }
#link = { ck2 = ?? eu3 = nubian }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = somali religion = muslim }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = ethiopian }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = mali religion = sunni }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = ashanti }
}

First of all, I've ordered the ruler more-or-less in the same order as EU3 cultures are defined. It's just helpful.

The German culture group was interesting. CK2 only has German, EU3 has a plethora of cultures. I tried to identify where these cultures are in EU3 at 1399, then make them convert to EU3 appropriately. Then I looked at surrounding countries, and tried to assign appropriate Germanic cultures to those regions in case of culture spread. Finally, the generic German rule is Hessian because they get only two or three provinces, and they need some love. Also, it's then obvious when that rule has been invoked.

Dutch is included under the EU3 German group. It would seem a straightforward mapping, but EU3 includes Flemish and Wallonian where CK2 has nothing equivalent. Thus, I made it so German culture spreading into Frisia become Dutch (in addition to Dutch remaining Dutch), Dutch ruled over by French rulers becomes Flemish, and Frankish culture spreading into Frisia becomes Wallonian. People who know the regional history better then me (read 'at-all') are probably horrified. Well, you are more than welcome to fix things. I'd really rather you do.

The Latin group is again tricky. Everything Italian in de jure Sicily (or the southern duchies in case they become part of another kingdom) becomes Sicilian. Everything Italian in Venice, Verona, Susa, and Genoa become Lombard. Everything Italian in the de jure kingdom of Italy that is also an HRE member becomes Lombard. Everything else become Umbrian (again, because it doesn't get much love). Using the HRE border is different, but it seems to match pretty well in EU3 (though probably is the cause of that border, not the result).

The Iberian group is pretty straightforward, except for the EU3 cultures Galacian and Maltese. Castillian or Portuguese in Galacia and Porto become Galacian. Any Iberian culture spreading into the Sicilian duchies become Maltese.

The French cultures are surprisingly complex. Occitan can become Gascon, Aquitaine, or Occitain depending on region, including spread into new countries (except Iberia, I forgot to do that for Iberia. I'll leave that to someone else). Frankish can become Wallonian, Burgundian, or Cosmopolitan French, depending on where it expands (Cosmopolitan French being the default for regions I don't address).

The Ughric-Baltic group is a little complicated. Ugricbaltic is a direct map. But Finnish can become Estonian, Karelian, or Finnish based on region. Oh, and Lappish becomes Sapmi/Sami, they seem to occupy the same provinces. I didn't know what to do for EU3 Ingrian, but it never seems to appear, anyways.

South Slavic is straightforward, except Serbian becomes Albanian is it spreads into Byzantine Duchies (there's no Albanian in CK2!).

West Slavic is mostly straightforward. Polish can become Schlesian in Silesia and Bohemia. Pommeranian becomes Polish in EU3 (we should probably add something to the converter mod, I forgot at that stage).

East Slavic has a ton of splitting of cultures. CK2 only had Russian, EU3 also has Byelorussian and Ruthenian. Again, this is by region, including potential spread. Also, Komi becomes Russian, but is added to the converter mod.

The Baltic group is straightforward (Lettiggallish become Lithuanian is the only non-obvious one just from the names).

Turko-semitic is also close to straightforward (though many names change significantly). Exceptions are Levantine Arabic, which becomes Al Iraqiya Arabic in Shiite provinces and Al Suryah Arabic elsewhere; and Maghreb Arabic, which mostly becomes Berber, except in the duchy of Marrakech.

Iranian: Kurdish becomes Persian, except in the converter mod, where it's been added. Persian becomes Persian, except in eastern duchies where it becomes East Persian, and in Hormuz and Birjand where it becomes Baluchi.

Altaic is weird. Alan, Cuman, and Pecheneg all become Tartar, except in the converter mod, where all are included. Mongol gets divvied up into Azerbadjani, Turkmeni, Uralic, or Siberian in certain regions. It defaults to Tartar. It never becomes EU3 Mongol, because in EU3 that's only in the far east.

In the African group, Ethiopian becomes Somali in Muslim regions, Ethiopian otherwise. Likewise, Manden becomes Mali in Sunni regions, Ashanti otherwise. I couldn't figure any good ways to work in Tuareg or Nubian, though they appear in EU3.

Scandinavian, British, Gaelic, Basque, and Byzantine cultures all map pretty directly. Except for Saxon, which does not correspond to Germanic Saxon, but kind of to nothing in EU3. It's mapped to English, and Anglo-Saxon is added to the converter mod.

Edit:
Discussion of the culture mapping rules has resumed. Links: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Last edited: