• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I changed my mind, it's been awhile since a release, and putting in DasGuntLord01's advisor system was a lot of work.

0.2H is up on Sourceforge.

Changelog:
Code:
Revision	Log Message
---------	----------------
81		Log number of CK2 baronies in each EU3 province
82		Use forward declarations instead of header includes
83		Initial implementation of DasGuntLord01's advisor conversion technique
84		Don't try to get an heir of a title no-one holds (also, the save that exposed this error)
85		No more cloned advisors
86		Titled advisors now included
87		Remove save incompatible with current CK2 version
88		Added Latin_Empire1303_04_27.ck2
89		If an advisor has no home, don't try to place them somewhere
90		Option for advisors now in configuration file
91		No longer count titles help by no-one as independent (fixes conversion for 1.05)

Relevant New Features:
  • Log of number of baronies per EU3 province (resume the base tax discussion!)
  • 1.05 saves can be converted

As always, please double-check that heirs are correct. Also, please check that nothing too crazy is going on with advisors. I hope to get in my notion of how advisors convert into the next release, then we can compare models.

Just got a few things I wanted to note from testing the converter with the saved game I uploaded recently that you added to the test group as Tripolitania1447_01_26:

-The Kingdom of Africa (the player held kingdom in that save) is converted to Ukraine. I just thought that was a little strange especially as there aren't even any slavic culture groups in the Kingdom.
-I'm guessing you haven't worked out cores or anything yet as everything is a colony.
-Plenty of advisors, seems to have worked out just fine on that front!

Just got a few things I wanted to note from testing the converter with the saved game I uploaded recently that you added to the test group as Tripolitania1447_01_26:

-The Kingdom of Africa (the player held kingdom in that save) is converted to Ukraine. I just thought that was a little strange especially as there aren't even any slavic culture groups in the Kingdom.
-I'm guessing you haven't worked out cores or anything yet as everything is a colony.
-Plenty of advisors, seems to have worked out just fine on that front!

- Tags (countries) are not fully fleshed out yet. Suffice to say that culture isn't even considered. Having said that though, it would be a way of automatically assigning tags: by taking CK2 dominant culture, and picking an EU3 country that has that culture (or equivalent) for all tags that are not explicitly mapped. This has to be better than the many-to-one region based explicit mappings that we use now...

- The provinces are colonies because they have 0 population.

EDIT: My heir is correct! Advisors are correct!

Last edited:
That makes sense with the colonies. Good thinking.

I should have known with the tags! Thanks for letting me know.

Also: I test converted two saves and in both the heirs were correct.

Oh, good. Do either of you have elective succession? That's the more recent addition, and the one I'm therefore more concerned about.

I'm going to try out how 0.2H works out.

In the meantime, I'm submitting my Latin Empire save, ca. 1405.

N.B.- I've usurped the Byzantine Empire, but I've kept the titular Latin Empire as my primary title.

View attachment 54262

I am trying to convert the save with 0.2H, and it seems like it not working.
I had change my save data name to "input.ck2" and run CK2ToEU3.exe.
Then log document is created and it said that "Error: Could not open CK2 save (input.ck2)."
Am I doing something wrong?

I am trying to convert the save with 0.2H, and it seems like it not working.
I had change my save data name to "input.ck2" and run CK2ToEU3.exe.
Then log document is created and it said that "Error: Could not open CK2 save (input.ck2)."
Am I doing something wrong?

Did you copy the save game in to the converter's directory? We don't yet read save games directly from CK2.

Tried it with an Ireland game with elective succession. Worked perfectly except for that whole pesky thing with bizarre nations in various places. In fact, the tags on almost every nation were wrong: Sicily was replaced by Saxony, Leon was replaced by Lancaster, and so forth. The only nations which turned out correctly were myself as Ireland, the Byzantines, Wales, France, and England. Though I will say that the borders of the HRE in EU3 were spot on, which was good. Overall the borders were all correct, it was just the names of the countries which came out wrong.

FAQ:

Q: Why do most of the country names turn out funny?!
A: There simply aren't enough nations in EU3 to cover all the potential nations that might exist by the end of a CK2 game. Short of making an EU3 that includes over 1000 new nations, there's nothing much to do but assign a CK2 nation an unused EU3 nation. Nations that have direct EU3 versions will convert correctly (So England should become England, France should become France and so on).

While we will be improving the converter so that you will at least gain a nation of the correct culture or region, this issue will probably never be completely solved. Fear not, as all gameplay-relevant values will be converted correctly (names are largely cosmetic).

Tried it with an Ireland game with elective succession. Worked perfectly except for that whole pesky thing with bizarre nations in various places. In fact, the tags on almost every nation were wrong: Sicily was replaced by Saxony, Leon was replaced by Lancaster, and so forth. The only nations which turned out correctly were myself as Ireland, the Byzantines, Wales, France, and England. Though I will say that the borders of the HRE in EU3 were spot on, which was good. Overall the borders were all correct, it was just the names of the countries which came out wrong.

This will be improved.

I've been a bit absent lately, sorry about that (some not-so-good family stuff was going on and was rather distracting).

I've been pondering my previously proposed alternate method of converting advisors, and I decided I don't like it. It's complex, it'll lead to either a lot of hardcoded rules or some really unwieldy external rules, and I was the only one who seemed to favor it. Really, it had two possible advantages: more advisors (one for nearly every character), and a greater variety of advisor types.

Both of those advantages can be transferred to the current advisor conversion method. The first I've just done by converting all advisors, not just those of independent rulers. The second is addressed by considering the current mission (as discussed before). May I suggest the following updated table?

Chancellor: Philosopher
Improve Relations: Diplomat
Fabricate Claims: Ambassador
Sow Dissent: Ambassador

Marshal: Grand Captain
Suppress Revolts: High Judge
Train Troops: Master Recruiter
Improve Military Tech: Army Reformer

Steward: Master of Mint
Collect Taxes: Sheriff
Oversee Construction: Alderman
Improve Economy Tech: Treasurer

Spymaster: Spymaster
Uncover Plots: Inquisitor
Build Spy Network: Spymaster
Study Technology: Spymaster

Court Chaplain: Theologian
Head Inquisition: Theologian
Research Cultural Tech: Statesman
Improve Religious Relations: Diplomat

I went and implemented advisors just like in my previous post. I can change it again if people object.

I've also gone and done a rough version of Gavelkind, but it's probably wrong int some details. Let me explain my process, then the smart people can tell me what's wrong and how to fix it.

First, create a list of possible heirs. Possible heirs are children who are not bastards, alive, and male.

Special case: no possible heirs. Revert to primogeniture succession.

Then, separate titles out by rank: empire, kingdom, duchy, county, barony.

For each rank, loop through and give one title to each heir. If the end of the list of heirs is reached, start at the beginning of the list.

Note that both titles and heirs should remain in the order they are in in the save file.

A new succession type being implemented means it's time for a new release: 0.2I.

Changelog:
Code:
Revision	Log Message
---------	----------------
92		Lots of advisors
93		Remove option for advisors from configuration file
94		Improved variety of advisors
95		Initial gavelkind implementation
96		Restrict gavelkind heirs to valid children
97		Rename test config file appropriately

Relevant New Features:
  • Gavelkind succession
  • Lots more advisors
  • Greater variety of advisors

As noted in my post above, gavelkind heirs are probably incorrect. Please inform me of any errors you find in either my algorithm or the results.

Under gravelkind succession, the primary title must be given to the eldest heir (according to your gender rules). Therefore the only thing I would say is make sure that the most elegible heir becomes the heir of the primary title.

I'm assuming children are saved in order of age, and titles are stored in order of primacy. I should probably double-check it.

Brothers are also eligible non-primogeniture like heirs.

As in: you have no children, but two brothers. You die, and your titles will be split between your brothers.

I had wondered hoe that worked out. That'll have to be one of my next updates.

Also, does anyone have a clue how turkish succession works? I believe it's only valid for muslims, and is 'strongest heir takes all', but I need details…