• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If the conversion is made into a mod rather than a save file, I'd say the pagan countries (reformed or not) should have their own tech group.

The stuff with the mod is pretty minimal. Just adding missing cultures, religions, and tags. Trying to add new tech groups is a bit beyond what I'd like to do with it.

@Idhrendur: I've finished adding the new empire/ decisions to the mod- you can get it here. I've included a changelog, and tried to make it as easy to integrate as possible.

Oh and, @Anyone with spare time: I've not fully amazingly tested this, mainly whether the decisions work or not at a glance/ execution. If anyone wants to test them in a game they've got, that'd be great

Last edited:
The second is a greater philosophical question. There's at least the possibility of unreformed pagan realms with zero writing tradition stubbornly clinging to their old ways, which would reduce their willingness to try out those filthy foreign ideas. For example, it's very possible for the Slavs to kill Cyril and Methodius in this game, leaving them without an alphabet. Would their subsequent technology development match the Muslim world in that case? Of course EU3 undermines this argument by making the highly literate Chinese tech up even slower, but that's tied more to the Not Invented Here syndrome, which persisting pagans would also have, so round we go again.

This is a big misconception; the Vikings actually were to a large part literate (in runic), and some historians believe is why the Vikings did not suffer through the Dark Ages like much of Europe - there was no monopoly on learning as held by the Christian church. They couldn't read latin - true, but they could definitely write. It's also very likely why serfdom never took off in Scandinavia either, the peasants understood their basic freedoms under the feudal system.

This conceived barbarism of the Norse people was a great propaganda victory by the Catholic church trying to justify their continual attacks on the pagan nations. Think about it, the monks provide the majority of written records for this era, and were also the ones with the greatest enmity towards them, and these are the records western scholars relied on for many centuries, its a really one sided picture unfortunately.

This is a big misconception
For Vikings, as you point out, yes. Viking tech is far from backward. I was thinking of Slavs, St. Cyril, and the Cyrillic alphabet specifically, though the issue would apply to West African, Tengri, and Suomenwhatever also as far as I know.

Hi all,

I'm running into a converter crash. I'm guessing this is linked to the fact that I'm converting from CK2+, and using a slightly old version of CK2 (1.092) and CK2+ (1.33.25), since I started this game juuuuust before The Old Gods came out. I'm using version 0.8 of the converter and using the CK2+ changes and converter mod (the most recent versions on sourceforge). These are the last couple of entries in the log:

Code:
13-06-13 16:33:59: Error: couldn't find any character to use for title k_qarakhnid conversion.  I will probably crash now.
13-06-13 16:33:59: Error: couldn't find any character to use for title e_persia conversion.  I will probably crash now.

I'm not really sure what's going on with that error. Neither of those titles exist (which produces an error as well, of course), so it isn't clear to me why it needs to find a character in the first place. Any thoughts?

I'm not really sure what's going on with that error. Neither of those titles exist (which produces an error as well, of course), so it isn't clear to me why it needs to find a character in the first place. Any thoughts?

The converter needs to convert every title (de jure and de facto), but part of the conversion process requires a character, because in CK2, titles don't have a culture or religion (or several other attributes), but in EU3 they do. We get those properties from the appropriate character, preferring the current holder or the latest holder if there is no current holder, and falling back to a de jure vassal or liege if necessary. If a title was BOTH a) never created, and b) has no de jure vassals, then we have a problem. We could probably be smarter about this (a de jure-only kingdom or empire with no de jure vassals and no de jure liege could probably be dropped from the game entirely, since it has no chance of having de jure territory convert to cores), but it was a nearly impossible scenario at the time I wrote it, since empire de jure drift hadn't been implemented yet.

Alas. That is tragic. Is there any straightforward fix for this?

Well, you can wait for us to patch it, or you can edit your save a bit. Find an unlanded courtier of reasonable religion and culture, and give him the titles that we can't find characters for. It should all fall out in the end, since the title will end up landless anyway. You can do it a few hundred years in the past if you want to be sure (basically counterfeit a holder who has long since died for a title which has long since been destroyed/holderless). Or modify your de jure drift to give those titles at least one de jure vassal each (but be aware that this will cause those titles to be converted with unowned but cored territory).

Thanks! I sorted it out and figure I can tweak anything that needs it in the EU3 save file, with which I'm much more familiar. Naturally this has resulted in a new problem, though, where the converter crashes with the following final log entries:

Code:
13-06-14 15:36:20: Converting provinces.
13-06-14 15:36:20: 	Total historical base tax is 2724.000000.
13-06-14 15:36:20: 	Total historical population is 6118189.000000.
13-06-14 15:36:20: 	Total historical manpower is 1675.000000.
13-06-14 15:36:20: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 1099 due to ties.  arbitralrily assigned.

1099 is Socotra. This is even more mystifying a crash, though, since from the log it sounds like there's nothing crash-worthy about this. Any thoughts?

Thanks! I sorted it out and figure I can tweak anything that needs it in the EU3 save file, with which I'm much more familiar. Naturally this has resulted in a new problem, though, where the converter crashes with the following final log entries:

Code:
13-06-14 15:36:20: Converting provinces.
13-06-14 15:36:20: 	Total historical base tax is 2724.000000.
13-06-14 15:36:20: 	Total historical population is 6118189.000000.
13-06-14 15:36:20: 	Total historical manpower is 1675.000000.
13-06-14 15:36:20: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 1099 due to ties.  arbitralrily assigned.

1099 is Socotra. This is even more mystifying a crash, though, since from the log it sounds like there's nothing crash-worthy about this. Any thoughts?

That warning, along with the lack of a culture 'arbitralrily' assigned (I hate that typo of mine so much) suggests that an invalid province has been mapped to 1099, and the converter is crashing when it tries to read information that should be there, but isn't.

Upon closer examination, the problem appears to lie in the fact that the province mappings for the CK2+ file are all over the place, principally (so far) in west Africa. Some appear to map water provinces, for instance. My assumption is that the province numbers have changed in patches and expansions, setting aside any changes Wiz might have made since the mapping was done. Once I figure out all the provinces the converter doesn't like I'll just remap them.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Upon closer examination, the problem appears to lie in the fact that the province mappings for the CK2+ file are all over the place, principally (so far) in west Africa. Some appear to map water provinces, for instance. My assumption is that the province numbers have changed in patches and expansions, setting aside any changes Wiz might have made since the mapping was done. Once I figure out all the provinces the converter doesn't like I'll just remap them.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Yeah, 1.10 changed a bunch.

If you look at the default province mappings, the 1.10 block should give you an idea of what's changed.

I'm working on sliders now. I'm assuming some of you would like to do some analysis on how things turn out with them before I do a major release. Would you rather me get everything done, then give a preliminary build, or have me give preliminary builds as I progress?

At last all the provinces are converting with crashing! A new crash however is occurring at converting armies, this time with the helpful log entry

Code:
13-06-14 20:58:07: Converting diplomatic relations.
13-06-14 20:58:14: Converting armies and navies.

Looking over the dozens of pages that discuss army/navy conversion I again can't see anything that could cause this. However, at least some of the discussion goes right over my head. It looks like the converter pulls the army data right from the game files? I wonder if something like a fresh install of EU3 might help that.

I'm amazed my game is throwing up so many issues for the converter. I'm assuming it's because I'm mixing several different elements at various stages of completeness. I'm tempted to just throw in the towel, but I'm not quite there yet!

Haha! And yes, 0.8A allows you to convert your Norse save. Though come to think of it, I forgot to upload the updated mod. Doh! I'll do so this evening.

Did you upload the mod?

I've posted an updated version of the decisions and empire up the page, I think you missed it.

Doh, I merged in an old update I had downloaded! Getting right on it!