• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Idhrendur: Thanks, I'll try to get something in tonight. What's the simplest way to predict revision numbers before checking in, to add a matching entry to the version history text file? And do you have any preferences regarding whether I use the same as the converter tool, or should I create my own?

For the Norse outside conversions;

Russia - Swedish
Germany / HRE - Danish
England - Danish
Scotland / Wales / Ireland - Norwegian
France - Norwegian

I would actually make the default to Norwegian rather than Swedish, Sweden, historically was quieter as a Norse country than Norway was, also Norway tended to go further.

Idhrendur: Thanks, I'll try to get something in tonight. What's the simplest way to predict revision numbers before checking in, to add a matching entry to the version history text file? And do you have any preferences regarding whether I use the same as the converter tool, or should I create my own?

They actually vary between local repositories. So yours will remain 412 and 413 to you, but will be different for me. Next project, I'm going to have to think of a better way to allow me to share changes with people than the simple changelog. But for now, lets just use one, and I'll worry about making it correct. So just leave out the changes to it. :)

For the Norse outside conversions;

Russia - Swedish
Germany / HRE - Danish
England - Danish
Scotland / Wales / Ireland - Norwegian
France - Norwegian

I would actually make the default to Norwegian rather than Swedish, Sweden, historically was quieter as a Norse country than Norway was, also Norway tended to go further.

Excellent!

Edit: the scandinavian block now is
Code:
## Scandinavian
link = { ck2 = norse eu3 = swedish de_jure = k_sweden }
link = { ck2 = norse eu3 = swedish de_jure = e_russia }
link = { ck2 = swedish eu3 = swedish }
link = { ck2 = norse eu3 = danish de_jure = k_denmark }
link = { ck2 = norse eu3 = danish de_jure = e_hre }
link = { ck2 = danish eu3 = danish }
link = { ck2 = norse eu3 = norwegian de_jure = k_norway }
link = { ck2 = norse eu3 = norwegian de_jure = e_britannia }
link = { ck2 = norse eu3 = norwegian de_jure = e_france }
link = { ck2 = norwegian eu3 = norwegian }
link = { ck2 = norse eu3 = norwegian }

Last edited:
Ok, the UI should be added to the codebase now.

The next four items that will receive attention:
  1. The UI only supports Steam-installed games at the moment. And probably crashes if it can't find them.
  2. Only configuration settings that are either numeric or one out of a set of pre-defined options is supported. Others (like the HRE tag and combinations of pre-defined and user-entered values) needs to be added. I have not yet looked at what the EU3 to Vic converter needs; that'll have to come later.
  3. Currently, the last tab in the UI displays the output configuration file. This needs to be saved to disk for it to do any good.
  4. The button that that says "Convert" on the last tab is currently only for show.

2 through 4 are easy, but expanding the game detection logic to support various types of installations (that I for the most part don't own) probably require a bit more work.

Ok, the UI should be added to the codebase now.

The next four items that will receive attention:
  1. The UI only supports Steam-installed games at the moment. And probably crashes if it can't find them.
  2. Only configuration settings that are either numeric or one out of a set of pre-defined options is supported. Others (like the HRE tag and combinations of pre-defined and user-entered values) needs to be added. I have not yet looked at what the EU3 to Vic converter needs; that'll have to come later.
  3. Currently, the last tab in the UI displays the output configuration file. This needs to be saved to disk for it to do any good.
  4. The button that that says "Convert" on the last tab is currently only for show.

2 through 4 are easy, but expanding the game detection logic to support various types of installations (that I for the most part don't own) probably require a bit more work.

1. It actually doesn't crash at all. The options are just blank and the browse button doesn't work. But then if I put in a partial path and click browse, it does!
2-4. You seem like you have things planned pretty well.

Good work!

If I were you I'd do samoyed -> ugrian and mordvin -> ugrian.

No such culture in EU3, unfortunately. But, crazy thought, what about Byelorussian? Sure, it's a different culture group, but it's roughly the right region, IIRC.

No such culture in EU3, unfortunately. But, crazy thought, what about Byelorussian? Sure, it's a different culture group, but it's roughly the right region, IIRC.

The one I was looking for was called "uralic". Which I think represents the Finns in Russia, given that it's only in North Ufa IIRC. I don't know why it was put in Altaic.

1. It actually doesn't crash at all. The options are just blank and the browse button doesn't work. But then if I put in a partial path and click browse, it does!
2-4. You seem like you have things planned pretty well.

Good work!

Strange, but probably easy to fix.

The only file in what I've added that you might want to take a look at, is the configuration.xml, which currently contains two things:
  1. Game configuration (Names, SteamIDs, default installation paths, perhaps registry keys pointing to to installation paths, that sort of thing)
  2. An xml version of your configuration.txt. The existing text (especially descriptions and explanations for the user) needs some fleshing out, and any new options added to configuration.txt needs to be added to the .xml as well.

I've been tempted to rename the terms I've used in there to something more self-explanatory; currently it's "Category/Preference/EntryOption", but I've considered "OptionGroup" and "Option" for the last two.

I downloaded version 0.8 and followed the instructions: insert file path in configuration file, drop save on .exe.

Suddenly, a CMD window flashes past, then nothing. No outpa save file and no log file. I'm running the old gods plus all other DLC.

I downloaded version 0.8 and followed the instructions: insert file path in configuration file, drop save on .exe.

Suddenly, a CMD window flashes past, then nothing. No outpa save file and no log file. I'm running the old gods plus all other DLC.

Usually, people see that when they drag the save from a different directory. Unfortunately, that messes things up in a way we can't prevent.

Also, we don't support 1.10 yet, so it'd crash anyways. :-/

Idhrendur, you seem to have run out of inbox space, so let's just continue the discussion here.

Got the BOOST_INCLUDE approach to work, and it got rid of the first error messages I had. Now I get this instead:

Code:
"Error	1	error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libboost_filesystem-vc100-mt-1_46_1.lib'	E:\Code\SourceForge\Ck2ToEu3Converter-Minor\LINK	CK2ToEU3"

Googled a bit, and someone on stack overflow suggested adding the boost directory to CK2ToEU3 properties -> Linker -> General -> Additional Library Directories. I tried, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Other suggestions talk of problems with static and dynamic links causing mismatches (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-with-libboost-filesystem-vc100-mt-s-1-49-lib), but then we're too far into C++ territory for me. Any suggestions?

Edit: i probably havent installed boost properly.

Last edited:
The one I was looking for was called "uralic". Which I think represents the Finns in Russia, given that it's only in North Ufa IIRC. I don't know why it was put in Altaic.

I just went through my usual technique of comparing different CK2 start dates with the EU3 start. From the spread of the mongol culture by 1337, I think they meant Uralic to be steppe peoples who live in the Urals. We already map Komi to Uralic, too.

Judging from my previous work on trying to split Finnish geographically, Ingrian seems the best choice for Mordvin. (I'm leaving the old rules for the sake of older saves that started with a less diverse Finnish).

And white it's still not a great choice. I'm going to make Samoyed become Karelian. They're opposite sides of the White Sea, but the closest geographically.

Idhrendur, you seem to have run out of inbox space, so let's just continue the discussion here.

Got the BOOST_INCLUDE approach to work, and it got rid of the first error messages I had. Now I get this instead:

Code:
"Error	1	error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libboost_filesystem-vc100-mt-1_46_1.lib'	E:\Code\SourceForge\Ck2ToEu3Converter-Minor\LINK	CK2ToEU3"

Googled a bit, and someone on stack overflow suggested adding the boost directory to CK2ToEU3 properties -> Linker -> General -> Additional Library Directories. I tried, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Other suggestions talk of problems with static and dynamic links causing mismatches (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-with-libboost-filesystem-vc100-mt-s-1-49-lib), but then we're too far into C++ territory for me. Any suggestions?

Edit: i probably havent installed boost properly.

I just changed the project to use a system variable to look for the boost library directory (instead of hardcoding it) and got the same error. Interesting. It's probably some bad config on my part.

Edit: I mistyped the variable in Visual Studio. It works now. Here's what you do:

Go to Project Properties->Link->General
Replace the path there with a correct path, or better yet, with $(BOOST_LIB) (to match the change I'm about to push).

Last edited:
I started work on getting the map changes, but felt like I was losing my mind. I'd appreciate some help (we need any rule updates for Eastern Europe and all sea zones)
Here's what I have so far:
Code:
v1.10={
link = { ck2 = 298 ck2 = 300 ck2 = 931eu3 = 3 }	# Värend, Öland, Möre -> Småland
link = { ck2 = 851 ck2 = 334 ck2 = 336 ck2 = 935 eu3 = 121 }	# Capua, Napoli, Salerno, Amalfi -> Napoli
link = { ck2 = 129 ck2 = 133 ck2 = 930 eu3 = 187 }	# Verdun, Saintois, Bar -> Barrois
link = { ck2 = 293 ck2 = 932 eu3 = 2 }	# Östergötland, Tjust -> Östergötland
}

Also, the Germanies look off.Which isn't surprising, but it's a good reminder that we can always use review of the map.

I just changed the project to use a system variable to look for the boost library directory (instead of hardcoding it) and got the same error. Interesting. It's probably some bad config on my part.

Edit: I mistyped the variable in Visual Studio. It works now. Here's what you do:

Go to Project Properties->Link->General
Replace the path there with a correct path, or better yet, with $(BOOST_LIB) (to match the change I'm about to push).

Thanks a lot! Will try again. Was this added to the minor branch, or should I merge over from one of the others?

Thanks a lot! Will try again. Was this added to the minor branch, or should I merge over from one of the others?

It's in the main branch. I'd just copy the change over by hand, better to not get everything transferred between them just yet.

It's in the main branch. I'd just copy the change over by hand, better to not get everything transferred between them just yet.

Mercurial's "Graft" command is intended for exactly this situation. You can pull a single commit from a branch into a second branch without needing to do it by hand.

Mercurial's "Graft" command is intended for exactly this situation. You can pull a single commit from a branch into a second branch without needing to do it by hand.

Oh, interesting. Good to know, especially since we're using Mercurial at my job.

I've got tech stuff updated for 1.10. The cultural conversion rules can probably use some review, but they should work.

Tech levels are still determined by the overall method from this post, but the categories now are:

Land Tech:
  • Light Infantry Tech
  • Heavy Infantry Tech
  • Cavalry Tech
  • Siege Equipment
  • Recruitment Tech
Naval Tech:
  • Light Infantry Tech
  • Heavy Infantry Tech
  • Naval Tech
  • Siege Equipment
  • Recruitment Tech
Trade Tech:
  • Castle Construction
  • City Construction
  • Temple Construction
  • Trade Practices
Production Tech:
  • Castle Construction
  • City Construction
  • Temple Construction
  • Fortification Construction
  • Construction
Government Tech:
  • All the culture techs

With this done, the converter no longer crashes on my test save. I've a few other things to fix, and we need to get the province mappings updated, but the convert is almost ready to support 1.10.

Incidentally, I could use a completed save from 1.10 or two.