• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For best results, should I run my CK II game until 1453, or would converting in 1399 work okay?

i have an issue. whenever i convert it refuses to let me build an army. any idea what they issue is. and i convert at 1399 when eu3 starts.

It's a known problem that'll be fixed in the next release. In the meanwhile, you can manually edit in unit types to your save, or just play until you get enough tech to get a new unit type.

For best results, should I run my CK II game until 1453, or would converting in 1399 work okay?

Anything in that time frame will work just fine!

I was wondering, is it possible to convert the basic 1066 setup to a EU3 game ? (it would be like the late middle ages didn't happen), would this cause issues ?

The summary post of culture conversion is here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...er-Project&p=14201602&viewfull=1#post14201602

In summary for that region, I really struggled to develop appropriate cultural mappings. I'll take any recommendations you might have.

Is Gondar the one in the middle, or the one off to the side? If the first, that's an error, and again, any tweaks you can provide are welcome. If the latter, that's because there's no real CK2 province that maps. It's picking up the EU3 history for that province, which says its owned by Ethiopia. We've a few provinces with that problem, and we really need to figure out what we should do.

I like the idea, though we haven't really done anything with nations in the converter mod. Remind me when we get to that point.

Yeah, I know, this was a couple months ago... hehe...

Anyways:

1. With Nubian culture, it should come down to region... and maybe title (is that possible?). Give me a second now while I boot up both games and poor over some historical maps and data.

Okay, I think I've got it:

1. Regardless of primary title or religion (going from CKII to EUIII): Ethiopian + Duchy of Harer = Somali, Ethiopian + Duchy Gondar = Ethiopian, Ethiopian + Duchy of Aswan = Nubian... and then the Duchy of Axum is the tricky part. The northwestern four counties of Axum should translate to Nubian culture while the southeastern two should translate to Ethiopian culture, using the mountains as a guide. Thus, the CKII counties of Axum and Akordat should translate to the EU provinces of Tigre and Massawa respectively, with those two provinces being guaranteed EU Ethiopian culture should the CKII culture be Ethiopian. Thus, in the "guaranteed" regions for the various East African cultures...

Guaranteed Ethiopian (CK to EU):
Axum = Tigre
Akordat = Massawa
Gondar = Gonder
Matamma = Gojjam
Asosa = Kefa
Ankober = Ifat & Shoa (hard to figure out where Shoa should go, but this guarantees avoidance of weird, broken borders)
Antalo = Awsa

Guaranteed Somali:
Tadjoura = Tajura
Harer = Harer & Zeila
Berbera = Berbera
Busaso = Haud (yes, I know Busaso should translate to Majerteen and Socotra, but Majerteen is by default in EU an uncolonized province, and Socotra should be the property of someone in Yemen... and with this, holding the entire de jure duchy of Harer will translate to your borders being that of Adal in 1399)

Guaranteed Nubia:
You know what, the CKII map is so royally frakked in regards to Nubia, that I'll trust your alignments with this for now... if you want, I'll look at it (heck, I'm gonna do that anyways), but lordy its a mess. Again, the only issues I really had in terms of border conversion was Gonder, that and my personal pet peeve about how all the converters so far treat Busaso. Though booting back up my conversion, it does has a wee bit of wonkiness down there... I think following my suggestions for Ethiopia should fix much of that ;-) I'm also seeing that, while holding both the titles of Egypt and Nubia, with Aswan and Axum de jure drifted to Nubia, that the EU province of Nubia is part of The Mamluks upon conversion. Maybe like it to the holder of the CKII county of Makuria?

But with that said, everything that's part of de jure Axum (outside the two counties I mentioned in the Ethiopian section) and Aswan upon conversion to EU should have Nubian culture.

2. After that, simple: anything outside those three regions should have their culture based upon the CK ruler's primary title (if at all possible). So, if the holder is Ethiopian culture in CKII...

King of Nubia results in Nubian culture.
King of Abyssinia results in Ethiopian culture.
Duke/Emir of Harer results in Somali culture.

3. Then, there's the Kingdom of Nubia situation. Personally, I like the idea of my nation's name not changing just because its the 1400s. However, EUIII and my knowledge of East African history seem to clash here, as I could swear Funj was historically a Muslim state, while at its earliest start point in EUIII, Funj is Christian. After just looking it up, apparently Funj was originally Christian and converted early in its existence...

However, Funj only existed due to the collapse of Makuria, Alodia, and Nobatia, which are represented in CKII as simply the Kingdom of Nubia. My vote would be, with the ConMod, that a surviving Kingdom of Nubia should result in EUIII of the continuation of Nubia, while Funj can retain its core in whatever province its in. This way, the Funj state would still be able to come into existence as it historically did, rather than a-historically a century earlier due to, ironically, the survival of Nubia.

I did this based heavily on trying to insure clean borders and little likelihood of weird "enclaves"/broken borders (like my example where Gonder was a piece of Ethiopia encircled by my Funj), while following the maps provided by both games (such as Harer equally out to Adal), ideally with the result that whatever X looks like in CKII will mean it'll translate to Y in EUIII. It isn't perfect, and I'm sure a few counties/provinces are easily debatable about their true counterparts between games, but looking at it, if I converted my Nubia game following my own guidelines, the borders should be respectably close between games, even working with what's probably the most abstracted region in CKII (notice how Dongala is a holding in Makuria in CKII, above the 2nd cataphract, but in EU is properly south of the 3rd cataphract!)

PS: Just thinking of Majerteen reminds me, I wouldn't mind seeing the Canaries remain uncolonized when converted to EU. Maybe the culture/religion can change, but for gameplay purposes they should remain unclaimed (rather than likely exist as part of the HRE or France...)

Yeah, I know, this was a couple months ago... hehe...

Anyways:

1. With Nubian culture, it should come down to region... and maybe title (is that possible?). Give me a second now while I boot up both games and poor over some historical maps and data.

Okay, I think I've got it:

1. Regardless of primary title or religion (going from CKII to EUIII): Ethiopian + Duchy of Harer = Somali, Ethiopian + Duchy Gondar = Ethiopian, Ethiopian + Duchy of Aswan = Nubian... and then the Duchy of Axum is the tricky part. The northwestern four counties of Axum should translate to Nubian culture while the southeastern two should translate to Ethiopian culture, using the mountains as a guide. Thus, the CKII counties of Axum and Akordat should translate to the EU provinces of Tigre and Massawa respectively, with those two provinces being guaranteed EU Ethiopian culture should the CKII culture be Ethiopian. Thus, in the "guaranteed" regions for the various East African cultures...

Guaranteed Ethiopian (CK to EU):
Axum = Tigre
Akordat = Massawa
Gondar = Gonder
Matamma = Gojjam
Asosa = Kefa
Ankober = Ifat & Shoa (hard to figure out where Shoa should go, but this guarantees avoidance of weird, broken borders)
Antalo = Awsa

Guaranteed Somali:
Tadjoura = Tajura
Harer = Harer & Zeila
Berbera = Berbera
Busaso = Haud (yes, I know Busaso should translate to Majerteen and Socotra, but Majerteen is by default in EU an uncolonized province, and Socotra should be the property of someone in Yemen... and with this, holding the entire de jure duchy of Harer will translate to your borders being that of Adal in 1399)

Guaranteed Nubia:
You know what, the CKII map is so royally frakked in regards to Nubia, that I'll trust your alignments with this for now... if you want, I'll look at it (heck, I'm gonna do that anyways), but lordy its a mess. Again, the only issues I really had in terms of border conversion was Gonder, that and my personal pet peeve about how all the converters so far treat Busaso. Though booting back up my conversion, it does has a wee bit of wonkiness down there... I think following my suggestions for Ethiopia should fix much of that ;-) I'm also seeing that, while holding both the titles of Egypt and Nubia, with Aswan and Axum de jure drifted to Nubia, that the EU province of Nubia is part of The Mamluks upon conversion. Maybe like it to the holder of the CKII county of Makuria?

But with that said, everything that's part of de jure Axum (outside the two counties I mentioned in the Ethiopian section) and Aswan upon conversion to EU should have Nubian culture.

2. After that, simple: anything outside those three regions should have their culture based upon the CK ruler's primary title (if at all possible). So, if the holder is Ethiopian culture in CKII...

King of Nubia results in Nubian culture.
King of Abyssinia results in Ethiopian culture.
Duke/Emir of Harer results in Somali culture.

3. Then, there's the Kingdom of Nubia situation. Personally, I like the idea of my nation's name not changing just because its the 1400s. However, EUIII and my knowledge of East African history seem to clash here, as I could swear Funj was historically a Muslim state, while at its earliest start point in EUIII, Funj is Christian. After just looking it up, apparently Funj was originally Christian and converted early in its existence...

However, Funj only existed due to the collapse of Makuria, Alodia, and Nobatia, which are represented in CKII as simply the Kingdom of Nubia. My vote would be, with the ConMod, that a surviving Kingdom of Nubia should result in EUIII of the continuation of Nubia, while Funj can retain its core in whatever province its in. This way, the Funj state would still be able to come into existence as it historically did, rather than a-historically a century earlier due to, ironically, the survival of Nubia.

I did this based heavily on trying to insure clean borders and little likelihood of weird "enclaves"/broken borders (like my example where Gonder was a piece of Ethiopia encircled by my Funj), while following the maps provided by both games (such as Harer equally out to Adal), ideally with the result that whatever X looks like in CKII will mean it'll translate to Y in EUIII. It isn't perfect, and I'm sure a few counties/provinces are easily debatable about their true counterparts between games, but looking at it, if I converted my Nubia game following my own guidelines, the borders should be respectably close between games, even working with what's probably the most abstracted region in CKII (notice how Dongala is a holding in Makuria in CKII, above the 2nd cataphract, but in EU is properly south of the 3rd cataphract!)

PS: Just thinking of Majerteen reminds me, I wouldn't mind seeing the Canaries remain uncolonized when converted to EU. Maybe the culture/religion can change, but for gameplay purposes they should remain unclaimed (rather than likely exist as part of the HRE or France...)

No worries on a delayed reply! I've gone and (mostly) implemented your suggestions. For your review, the new province mappings

Code:
link = { ck2 = 871 eu3 = 1208 }	# Busaso -> Haud
link = { ck2 = 872 eu3 = 1209 }	# Berbera -> Berbera
link = { ck2 = 873 eu3 = 1211 eu3 = 1212 }	# Harer -> Harer, Zeila
link = { ck2 = 882 eu3 = 1210 eu3 = 1213 }	# Ankober -> Ifat, Shoa
link = { ck2 = 884 eu3 = 1214 }	# Antalo -> Awsa
link = { ck2 = 881 eu3 = 1218 }	# Asosa -> Kefa
link = { ck2 = 880  eu3 = 1225 }	# Sennar -> Butana
link = { ck2 = 879 eu3 = 1229 }	# Atbara -> Berber
link = { ck2 = 792 ck2 = 878 eu3 = 1232 }	# Nubia, Hayya -> Suakin
link = { ck2 = 877 eu3 = 1226 }	# Kassala -> Taka
link = { ck2 = 876 eu3 = 1230 }	# Akordat -> Massawa
link = { ck2 = 875 eu3 = 1227 }	# Aksum -> Tigre
link = { ck2 = 874 eu3 = 1215 }	# Tadjoura -> Tajura
link = { ck2 = 883 eu3 = 1224 }	# Gondar -> Gonder
link = { ck2 = 885 eu3 = 1223 }	# Matamma -> Gojjam
link = { ck2 = 793 eu3 = 1228 eu3 = 1231 eu3 = 1234 }	# Makuria -> Dongola, Ibrim, Nubia
link = { ck2 = 791 ck2 = 794 ck2 = 795 eu3 = 360 }	# Quena, Aswan, Asyut -> Nile

and the new culture mappings
Code:
## African
#link = { ck2 = ?? eu3 = tuareg }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = nubian de_jure = d_aswan }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = nubian de_jure = c_kassala }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = nubian de_jure = c_hayya }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = nubian de_jure = c_atbara }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = nubian de_jure = c_sennar }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = ethiopian de_jure = d_gondar }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = ethiopian de_jure = c_aksum }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = ethiopian de_jure = c_akordat }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = somali de_jure = d_harer }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = ethiopian }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = mali religion = sunni }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = mali religion = zikri }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = mali religion = yazidi }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = mali religion = ibadi }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = ashanti }

At the moment, we can't look to the liege's title for culture mappings (though it sounds like a good idea, and I'll likely add it after the next release). For now, the default conversion of Ethiopian is Ethiopian.

I was wondering, is it possible to convert the basic 1066 setup to a EU3 game ? (it would be like the late middle ages didn't happen), would this cause issues ?

I saw no reason why it should, but tested anyways. It comes out just fine.

Well I tried and it crashed, I got this at the end of the log :

Code:
Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 8 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 19 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 37 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on religion for EU3 province 37 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 120 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 122 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on religion for EU3 province 122 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 143 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 173 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 282 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on religion for EU3 province 282 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 330 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on religion for EU3 province 330 due to ties.

I believe this relates to some counties that have a different culture than the ruler's culture at the beginning, like dublin etc

Got this when trying to Convert, I'm guessing the problem is that the HRE are dirty filthy heretics.

Code:
13-01-11 23:21:46: 	Error: could not map religion monothelite to any EU3 religions (province 43: Danzig)
13-01-11 23:21:46: 	Error: could not map religion monothelite to any EU3 religions (province 44: Hamburg)
13-01-11 23:21:46: 	Error: could not map religion monothelite to any EU3 religions (province 45: Lübeck)
13-01-11 23:21:46: 	Error: could not map religion monothelite to any EU3 religions (province 46: Rostock)
13-01-11 23:21:46: 	Error: could not map religion monothelite to any EU3 religions (province 47: Stralsund)

I'm willing to go and manually change all the province religions with the console, would this fix it? or would I have to change all the rulers religions as well?

Also will the converter have a problem with the Roman Empire or the Aztec Religion?

No worries on a delayed reply! I've gone and (mostly) implemented your suggestions. For your review, the new province mappings

Code:
link = { ck2 = 871 eu3 = 1208 }	# Busaso -> Haud
link = { ck2 = 872 eu3 = 1209 }	# Berbera -> Berbera
link = { ck2 = 873 eu3 = 1211 eu3 = 1212 }	# Harer -> Harer, Zeila
link = { ck2 = 882 eu3 = 1210 eu3 = 1213 }	# Ankober -> Ifat, Shoa
link = { ck2 = 884 eu3 = 1214 }	# Antalo -> Awsa
link = { ck2 = 881 eu3 = 1218 }	# Asosa -> Kefa
link = { ck2 = 880  eu3 = 1225 }	# Sennar -> Butana
link = { ck2 = 879 eu3 = 1229 }	# Atbara -> Berber
link = { ck2 = 792 ck2 = 878 eu3 = 1232 }	# Nubia, Hayya -> Suakin
link = { ck2 = 877 eu3 = 1226 }	# Kassala -> Taka
link = { ck2 = 876 eu3 = 1230 }	# Akordat -> Massawa
link = { ck2 = 875 eu3 = 1227 }	# Aksum -> Tigre
link = { ck2 = 874 eu3 = 1215 }	# Tadjoura -> Tajura
link = { ck2 = 883 eu3 = 1224 }	# Gondar -> Gonder
link = { ck2 = 885 eu3 = 1223 }	# Matamma -> Gojjam
link = { ck2 = 793 eu3 = 1228 eu3 = 1231 eu3 = 1234 }	# Makuria -> Dongola, Ibrim, Nubia
link = { ck2 = 791 ck2 = 794 ck2 = 795 eu3 = 360 }	# Quena, Aswan, Asyut -> Nile

and the new culture mappings
Code:
## African
#link = { ck2 = ?? eu3 = tuareg }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = nubian de_jure = d_aswan }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = nubian de_jure = c_kassala }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = nubian de_jure = c_hayya }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = nubian de_jure = c_atbara }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = nubian de_jure = c_sennar }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = ethiopian de_jure = d_gondar }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = ethiopian de_jure = c_aksum }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = ethiopian de_jure = c_akordat }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = somali de_jure = d_harer }
link = { ck2 = ethiopian eu3 = ethiopian }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = mali religion = sunni }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = mali religion = zikri }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = mali religion = yazidi }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = mali religion = ibadi }
link = { ck2 = manden eu3 = ashanti }

At the moment, we can't look to the liege's title for culture mappings (though it sounds like a good idea, and I'll likely add it after the next release). For now, the default conversion of Ethiopian is Ethiopian.

Well, without opening all the games up, it looks good to me. I'll check it all out later, see if everything lines up better, and I suspect it will. I might take a look at some of the other regions in the same manner, as the gods know its one of the few things I'm capable of doing to help out with this.

Shame about the titles, but no biggie. It'd take me about two minutes using one of the EUIII save editors to fine tune the culture of my Nubian kingdom, and any game I convert will require edits anyways just for the sake of balance (and not having to look at the horrors France unleashes upon my eyes with the atrocities they commit against the map). However, is it not possible to do such a thing, or is it just a little further down the priorities list?

Well I tried and it crashed, I got this at the end of the log :

Code:
Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 8 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 19 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 37 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on religion for EU3 province 37 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 120 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 122 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on religion for EU3 province 122 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 143 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 173 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 282 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on religion for EU3 province 282 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on culture for EU3 province 330 due to ties.
13-01-11 22:41:42: 	Warning: could not decide on religion for EU3 province 330 due to ties.

I believe this relates to some counties that have a different culture than the ruler's culture at the beginning, like dublin etc

Well, the warning has pretty much been dealt with, and the fact its seen is usually a sign things are alright. Have you tried with the converter mod? I'm wondering if its that, or the fact I have all the latest code that allowed it to work for me.

Got this when trying to Convert, I'm guessing the problem is that the HRE are dirty filthy heretics.

Code:
13-01-11 23:21:46: 	Error: could not map religion monothelite to any EU3 religions (province 43: Danzig)
13-01-11 23:21:46: 	Error: could not map religion monothelite to any EU3 religions (province 44: Hamburg)
13-01-11 23:21:46: 	Error: could not map religion monothelite to any EU3 religions (province 45: Lübeck)
13-01-11 23:21:46: 	Error: could not map religion monothelite to any EU3 religions (province 46: Rostock)
13-01-11 23:21:46: 	Error: could not map religion monothelite to any EU3 religions (province 47: Stralsund)

I'm willing to go and manually change all the province religions with the console, would this fix it? or would I have to change all the rulers religions as well?

Also will the converter have a problem with the Roman Empire or the Aztec Religion?

You just need to add a mapping to our religion files. I guess I need to do a good review of those, to make sure we really do cover all possibilities.

Well, without opening all the games up, it looks good to me. I'll check it all out later, see if everything lines up better, and I suspect it will. I might take a look at some of the other regions in the same manner, as the gods know its one of the few things I'm capable of doing to help out with this.

Shame about the titles, but no biggie. It'd take me about two minutes using one of the EUIII save editors to fine tune the culture of my Nubian kingdom, and any game I convert will require edits anyways just for the sake of balance (and not having to look at the horrors France unleashes upon my eyes with the atrocities they commit against the map). However, is it not possible to do such a thing, or is it just a little further down the priorities list?

I would be very thankful if you could do that kind of review. Especially for the province mappings. Cultures we discussed before, and I put some time into thinking about them as I did them, but the province mappings were just done as rapidly as possible.

Yeah i use the converter mod.

Then I'll assume the bug you hit is one we've fixed in the meanwhile. If that turns out to not be true at the next release, please let us know!

Hi everyone ! Massive respect for all the work done, but could you please explain, for a simple person such as I how to actually work this conversion process? Im sorry, but I was unable to find an explanation anywhere :(

Hi everyone ! Massive respect for all the work done, but could you please explain, for a simple person such as I how to actually work this conversion process? Im sorry, but I was unable to find an explanation anywhere :(

There is a file named ReadMe.txt included with the converter. We've got some instructions in there. If they're unclear, we'll help you out.