• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi
I'm sure I must have missed something important but I'm getting an error right at the start:

Reading configuration file.
12-06-03 17:30:05: No input file given, defaulting to input.ck2
12-06-03 17:30:05: Getting CK2 data.
12-06-03 17:30:05: Error: Could not open 00_traits.txt!

Any idea what's going wrong? I doublechecked the directory in the configuration and I can't see anything wrong.

First, the parser chokes on the history files for advisors. Some quick testing shows it's something to do with the comments at the top of the files.

Yeah, it looks like it's not fond of comments that have just a single # and no actual comment. Changing the SkipComment grammar functor from

Code:
comment = qi::raw[qi::lexeme[lit("#") >> +(iso8859_1::char_ - qi::eol)] >> -qi::eol];
to
Code:
comment = qi::raw[qi::lexeme[lit("#") >> *(iso8859_1::char_ - qi::eol)] >> -qi::eol];
should make those files work.

I've checked in the appropriate change to EU3ToVic2's copy of the parser. You might want to sync with that anyway, since I checked in some other parser tweaks last week. I don't have push permissions for CK2ToEU3.

I've added you to the Sourceforge project, that was an oversight on my part.

However, the new parser code is leading to a crash. I'm investigating, but may not get it tonight, or in the next few days. We'll see.

Edit: It's crashing on EU3 provinces that are unmapped. That's easy enough to fix (if a tad tedious). After all, it's giving me feedback on that issue. I wonder if that can be turned into a warning of some kind, though. Could be useful…

Edit2: I've updated the mappings so they work on our test suite. I would like to change things to a proper error message, though.Could be useful to any mods who'l utilize the converter in the future.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity this is going to be one of those converters that just reassigns a bunch of tags, making the converted save look completely alien in the second game, right?

I've gone and fixed turkish/open succession. It was a mess.

Before the next release I want to:
  • Make unmapped EU3 provinces give a warning (not crash)
  • Implement regency councils
  • Verify that primogeniture heirs that are brothers convert correctly
  • Generate extra ROTW advisors (maybe)

Yes, this is mostly a note to myself.

• Implement regency councils

This should actually be really simple.

A regent is marked with a simple "regent = yes" entry, and the name can be whatever we want.

So, if we simply want only the CK2 regent to be counted, then we can add the regent's name with stats converted as usual:

Code:
monarch=
			{
				name="[REGENT NAME] (Regent)"
				DIP=X
				ADM=Y
				MIL=Z
				regent=yes
				id=
				{
					id=XXXXX
					type=37
				}
			}

Out of curiosity this is going to be one of those converters that just reassigns a bunch of tags, making the converted save look completely alien in the second game, right?

To add to DasGuntLord01's reply, check the first post in this thread for why tags will get screwy (though hopefully less so than the current version), and the second post for a bunch of other stuff we're figuring out how to convert or have figured out.

This should actually be really simple.

A regent is marked with a simple "regent = yes" entry, and the name can be whatever we want.

So, if we simply want only the CK2 regent to be counted, then we can add the regent's name with stats converted as usual:

Code:
monarch=
			{
				name="[REGENT NAME] (Regent)"
				DIP=X
				ADM=Y
				MIL=Z
				regent=yes
				id=
				{
					id=XXXXX
					type=37
				}
			}

So it's an entry in the (CK2 save) regent's entry? Is there any entry in the data of the ruler who has a regent? Or in the titles? That'd be more convenient (though it's not too bad, even if not).

Also, any ideas on the extra ROTW advisors? I haven't looked into it, but I get the impression it may be difficult to replicate the EU3 method. If so, I won't feel too bad leaving it out of the converter.

Oh, I completely forgot about how CK2 records regents. :p

Seems to me like a leader has a regent entry that points to a regent character, eg:

Code:
550943=
{

[ ...]

regent=551365

[ ... ]

}

So any leader that is younger than 16 should have an entry that points to their regent.

Hi
I'm sure I must have missed something important but I'm getting an error right at the start:

Reading configuration file.
12-06-03 17:30:05: No input file given, defaulting to input.ck2
12-06-03 17:30:05: Getting CK2 data.
12-06-03 17:30:05: Error: Could not open 00_traits.txt!

Any idea what's going wrong? I doublechecked the directory in the configuration and I can't see anything wrong.

Sorry for not replying sooner. If your directory information was wrong, you should get an error about that, not this error. Can you go to your CK2 directory and verify if /common/traits/00_traits.txt exists?

Sorry for not replying sooner. If your directory information was wrong, you should get an error about that, not this error. Can you go to your CK2 directory and verify if /common/traits/00_traits.txt exists?

Well, that's clearly the problem. I don't even have a traits subdirectory under /common . I searched my hard drive and can't find 00_traits.txt anywhere! It might be that there is something wonky with my CK2 installation (through Steam), although the game works. I notice that whenever I start up the game, I get a message of preparing for first time set-up. Also, sometimes the game fails to start and I have to restart my computer to get it to work. Does that give any clues to what might be going on?

Well, that's clearly the problem. I don't even have a traits subdirectory under /common . I searched my hard drive and can't find 00_traits.txt anywhere! It might be that there is something wonky with my CK2 installation (through Steam), although the game works. I notice that whenever I start up the game, I get a message of preparing for first time set-up. Also, sometimes the game fails to start and I have to restart my computer to get it to work. Does that give any clues to what might be going on?

"Preparing for first time", and long load times that appear as though the game has failed to load are common enough for my installation, and I don't have issue you report. It is very likely that some files simply didn't download correctly, which is very common for paradox games on steam.

Use Right Click -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache, and steam will double check all of your files, and download any missing ones. You might need to do this more than once.

"Preparing for first time", and long load times that appear as though the game has failed to load are common enough for my installation, and I don't have issue you report. It is very likely that some files simply didn't download correctly, which is very common for paradox games on steam.

Use Right Click -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache, and steam will double check all of your files, and download any missing ones. You might need to do this more than once.

Hmm...it did fix one file, but I still don't have 00_traits.txt

Hmm...it did fix one file, but I still don't have 00_traits.txt

That's so bizarre. Does the traits subdirectory at least exist now? And in-game, do traits work?

For that matter, which version do you have running? And what's the checksum?

It's that time. Version 0.3 is now on Sourceforge.
Download link.
Overall link.

Relevant New Features:
Monarchs restored in ROTW nations
Heirs in ROTW nations
Regnal Numbers
Improved readability in log
Entire world mapped
Improved map spread
Historical ROTW Advisors
Regencies
Various fixes to succession logic

Discussion:
This release should mark the completion of everything people-related in EU3 with one caveat. As well, all provinces have been mapped. We aren't entirely convinced of the quality of our map, so we appreciate any feedback on borders that don't quite come out right.

The one people-related item not completed is all of the ROTW advisors. It seems EU3 uses a combination of historical and randomly generated advisors to start games. Historical ROTW ones are converted, but I don't know how the random ones are generated. If we can figure that out, I'll add it to a future release.

The next set of work for the converter will be on provinces: cultures, religions, population, manpower, and all the economic bits. I'm going to have another post that summarizes my understanding of our plans for all of that.

However, I'm going to focus my programming on the EU3 To V2 mod for a bit. There's a handful of features I want to implement, and there seem to be a few odd bugs.

Changelog:
Code:
Revision	Log Message
---------	----------------
100		Restore monarch conversion in ROTW (had been broken in change 48)
101		Regnal numbers for rulers
102		Constructors for everyone!
103		Pass references data structures, not copies (should cause miniscule speedup)
104		Update logging to be more helpful
105		Verify all CK2 provinces are mapped
106		Add missing province mappings
107		Water provinces mapped
108		Tech group from history files
109		Better map spread
110		Map ROTW water provinces
111		A few more map fixes
112		Heirs for ROTW nations
113		Eliminate extra space in ROTW ruler names
114		Correct empty dynasty name
115		Use doParseFile()
116		Advisors for ROTW (except the parser chokes on the history files)
117		Updated parser files (and fixes to province mapping revealed by update)
118		Turkish/Open Succession fixed
119		Primogeniture succession no longer can lead to someone being their own heir
120		Log unmapped EU3 provinces instead of crashing
121		Regents

So, here's what I think about province conversion.

Here is a sample of the items I think we'll set in each province, conveniently copied from an EU3 save:
Code:
name="Stockholm"
culture=swedish
religion=catholic
capital="Stockholm"
citysize=6505.416
garrison=1000.000
base_tax=5.000
manpower=3.000
trade_goods=grain

Name and capital we can get from the EU3 install. Or may not even be needed, EU3 seems forgiving on that point.

Culture will be a straight mapping from the CK2 province cultures. In the case of differing cultures there, majority wins. If there's still a tie, things get more tricky. The save doesn't record when a culture conversion happened, so we can't use that. Perhaps the cultures of the barony controllers would be useful? Most cultures map in a straightforward manner, and that work is already done in culture_mappings.txt. The italian and German cultures need to be done still. They can be separated into the various EU3 cultures using the method described in this post.

Religion, I think will not convert well. I think we should use the same method as with cultures, and add a possible "heresy=yes" to the rules. With that in a rule, we'd add a heresy flag to the appropriate province. So Cathar and Lollard provinces would convert as Catholic provinces with the heretic flag. Hopefully someday someone will make a mod for the converter that gives EU3 more variety in religions, in which case we can just change the rules to convert religions with more detail.

Population hasn't been discussed much. It will likely tie into how many baronies there are, what kinds they are, and which buildings have been completed in them.

Edit: Ditto for manpower.

I imagine basetax will be much the same. It has been discussed quite a bit, with no definite conclusions. see the second post in the thread for links to the relevant posts.

Tradegood may be left to defaults, or may depend on CK2 economic factors. It was mentioned in the basetax conversations, but I got the impression that it's not too powerful in the early game, so defaults may be just fine.

Garrison size is dependent on fort level, and buildings are dependent on tech levels, so all of that will be ignored in the next major update.

Now, discuss, and demonstrate how painfully naive my ideas are. :happy:

Last edited:
That's so bizarre. Does the traits subdirectory at least exist now? And in-game, do traits work?

For that matter, which version do you have running? And what's the checksum?

Okay, I have the 00_traits.txt file now. What's going on is that CK2.exe is installed in two different places in my hard drive. The "00_traits.txt" file was under the Program Files/Steam/SteamApps subdirectory, while my saved games were under a Program Files/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II.

But now I'm getting the "too many CK2 nations (21) error. I think I saw something about that higher in the thread so I'll check for a fix.