• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(195775)

Second Lieutenant
Feb 18, 2010
The Chronicle of Milan
So after a couple of days of letting people help me figure out what I should do for AAR. Milan was the victor to say the least. This AAR will be a History book with some narrative elements. The style will be like Kapt's Triumph of Eagles, Tommy4ever's AAR in particular Habsburg and Carlist AAR, as well as Chris Taylor new aar Porta Atlanticum, Axzhang's Repubblica di Genova, The Sublime State by daemonofdeacy, and Our Kingdom Stands alone by Eber. I will playing on the regular EU3 (one of the draw backs to my mac, and my Gamersgate account not working). So please all comments are greatly appreciated and encouraged, and enjoy

Dear Dr. William Hearst

I hope this letter receives you quickly. It has been a long time since we have spoken; I much have changed here in Milan. You will please to know that a copy of the manuscript has been sent alongside the letter. I mailed it from Milan as soon as I finished it. There are few things I must attend to before I return home to London

I am aware of what you and your publishers have been more than generous with your time allowances for my trips, and deadlines, but I can assure you that this is the most definitive work on the Duchy of Milan and the Italian Empire. From it’s meteoritic rise to power, to its slow rotten decline. Excuse me for the messy of this draft but I believed that time was of the essence, and thus had skip my usual editing

I will board a train for Paris in a week (so about the time you get this letter.), and then take a boat across the channel. I wish I could be there to see Terrance when show Terrance the manuscript (We have a bet going on whether or not I could get the book done before the publishers pull the plug). Looking forward to seeing you again old friend. Also say hi to Jennifer for me.

Salvatore Catteno
Salvatore Catteno
June 14, 1886
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part One: From the Banks of the Po

A man that Italian has described the founder of their empire. Stubborn, cunning and ruthless, Gian who took Milan from a tiny city-state to a one of the major powers. In 1395 Gian Galezzo I Visconti declared the duchy of Milan and it quickly became a powerhouse of the peninsula. But by the time this happen Gian was an old man. His manner was that of determined man, who was shaped by war and conflict, yet a constant desire still burned deep in his heart. It was around the 1399 that Gian began to feel the need to centralize the Duchy into a cohesive political force, not an unstable power that could not be able to maintain itself after his death. So thus Gian began a massive period of reforms over the state. (+ 1 for centralization). He began a massive campaign of centralization take some of the authority of the noble and placing it in hands. He established the practice of March, which leads to the creation of a small militia to protect various parts of the duchy.

HUAZJ.png

To secure himself internationally he made himself allies. The Kingdom Hungary, Archbishopric of Aquileia, The Elector Palatine soon became allies of the young duchy. Finally Gian Galezzo I finally secured an alliance with his old friend Vaclav IV of Bohemia the Holy Roman Emperor, the two had become close friends after Vaclav gave Gian the title of Duke
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In hopes of securing his dynasty, he began to look for a wife for his eventually Flippo Maria. As fate would have it that one of those candidates was Isabella d’Este. Isabella d’Este was the firstborn daughter of Niccolo III the Duke of Ferrara. The Duchy of Ferrara was located in critical location in central Europe, as Ferrara geographically divided Milan from its southern territories of Pisa and Siena as a result Milan had to keep relied on the generosity and friendships of Ferrara to get to their southern territories. Initially Isabella was not the desired wife for the Flippo; rather it was Cristina von Wittelsbach of the daughter of the King of Palatine. But it would be an important advisor of the king and one of richest merchant in Milan that would bring her to the forefront. Paolo Testi was a man that made himself trading goods out of Genoa in the name of Milan to England, the Middle East, and Eastern Europe. Testi saw a marriage to the Wittelsbach was not best thing for Milan; rather he believed that a marriage to Isabella d’Este was more preferable. In his mind a way to secure access to the south provinces for the next couple of decades would provide more stability to Milan and thus more wealth to Milan. But it was ultimately the real reason for the marriage for Gian at least was that it gave his son a claim to the Ferrara throne. Gian hoped that upon Niccolo III death Gian could influence the succession so that Gian could become Duke of Ferrara. Thus the couple was married on May 27, 1400 but little realized that dark shadow would hang over this ever-wise happy day.

9jXQN.png

------------------------------------------------------------------
The biggest reform of Gian Galezzo I was by far that of army. All of this madness began with the accusation of the two premier military leaders of state Chief of Navy Uberto Odescalchi who was serving as Gian’s Marshall and was the de facto representative of military of the court. Odescalchis was one of the most dominant families in the entire country and had huge sway over the military and the court. Uberto was a loyal supporter of Gian Galezzo I for an extremely long time, and was loyal yet he was disillusioned at how the military was being run. The other man was an important general named Umberto di Carde. Umberto di Carde was a offensive man first and foremost and was seen as increasingly aggressive. Court document describe him as “an uncouth barbarian, who brutality is only matched by his noble warrior sprit. He is barbarian in all but name.” Together they sent a formal petition by to expand and revamp the tactics of used by the army. Thus the army was drastically enlarged. Over the period of the next 2 years the army was enlarged significantly, new leaders were chosen to lead it. Uberto was awarded with a permanent spot in the court, and di Carde was allowed to lead the army of Pisa (about 4000 men).

kiud3.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The true reason for the reformation and enlargement of the army was revealed a few months later during the meeting with a Sardinian ambassador Hans Pil over the discussion of trade agreement. Court documents reveal the events of the meeting.

The 4 men sat around a table, Gian Galezzo I at the head, to his left was Paolo Testi on his right was his chancellor Fillipo Maria Ghiliseri. At the end of the table was the Sardinia ambassador Hans Pil. Hans began the meeting by explaining his purpose and desires that the two of them would reach an agreement. Ghiliseri thanked him saying that the noble Milan was willing to discuss a trade agreement. Hans stood up a said this “ the noble King Mariano V of Sardinia wishes to discuss a trade agreement that will allow both of nations and merchant to prosper. Unexpectedly Gian Galezzo I erupted in a rage of fury “A king, ha your lord is no more a king than satyr to Jupiter. You dirty a uncouth satyr speak as if we are equals, we are nothing of the sort, there will be no more talk of this agreement. Go back to your master a say that Jupiter refuses to deal adulterous satyr.” Hans was removed out of Milan under guard.
Though the court documents portray the incident as a being a show of arrogance by the Duke. But there was a strategy to this, Gian had desired to expand for a long time but all other options around them would bring in the Holy Roman Emperor. Sardinia on the other hand had no allies, was not protected by the Emperor and was weak. A day after the incident Gian revealed document that said that entire kingdom was in fact rightful Milanese land. Now war was inevitable, A collation of Italian powers lead by King Gugliemo IV of Sicily formed to protect Sardinia against Milanese aggression. Finally on September 18 1401 Milanese forces lead by Umberto di Carde invaded the island of Sardinia. The Sardinia war had begun.
ys2ri.png

This looks good. Pleasing start, I like the format you've chosen. Well done! :)

Good beginning...well thought out.

Everyone: Thanks, glad to have all you guys along for the ride.

Part 2 The shores of Saradnia

Dear Dr. William Hearst

I seems that my return home will take longer than I have anticipated. There have problems with the train rails and seems that their problems in Switzerland. I do not know of which nature but I have heard that they are that rebels are now in control of the country side. The Conductor refuses to tell us anything. I have attached the next part of manuscript, hopefully this will keep the publishers at bay. Hope to see you soon.

Salvatore Catteno
June 19, 1886
----------------------------------
The Invasion of Sardinia by Umberto di Cardé had sparked a war between Milan and wide array of Italian nations. These Nations lead by Sicily join together in order to stop Milan in what they saw as blatant unbridled aggression. The Collation comprised of Kingdom of Sardinia, the Kingdom of Naples, the Kingdom of Sardinia, and the treacherous former ally of Milan Aquileia. Milan would have to fight all of these powers by himself, its allies Hungary; Palatine deserted her in her time of need. Hungary refused to associate itself with the aggressive actions of the Duke, and the Elector Palatine was in the midst of a bloody civil war with the usurper Raphael Assenbourg who would succeed in taking the throne. Di Cardé would land on the shores of northern Sardinia unopposed and began to march his way south towards Cagliari. The Allied forces lead by Martino V meet him outside of the city. The Battle of Cagliari would be the opening battle of the war. Umberto di Carde was able to outflank the allies with his cavalry and smash into the rear of the undisciplined Neapolitan troops, breaking them. What was left of the allied forces was able to retreat back into Sardinia beginning the long siege of Cagliari
OTkRi.png

-----------------------------
Gian Galezzo I Visconti took the large main army south toward Naples to knock out in his belief the strongest of the Allies. His forces march towards Naples almost unopposed, fighting a small garrison protecting. Then the main Neapolitan lead by Ladislao I Durazzo. The 2nd Battle of Naples proved much more decisive and important. Gian hoped to use his massive amount of infantry to his advantage. He was able to repel Neapolitan cavalry time after time, and using his number was able to defeat Ladislao. This victory was a great victory for Gian, within days of his victory the city of Abruzzi fell to the Milanese. These two event coupled with the Naval defeat at the Battle of Oran brought Naples to the peace table. The two were able to negotiate a squats quo peace. Thus Gian was victorious in the south.
K9inh.png
zh7Fx.png

---------------------------------------------
The War on the Sea was one of the most crucial front of the war, if they were unsuccessful, then Milan stood no chance in taking Sardinia and it gains could be under threat of Allied counter acts. But the navy despite Umberto Odescalchi reforms and expansion needed a leader. The leader they choose was Achille Odescalchi the younger brother of Umberto. Many in the court disputed his skills and many believed he gain the position due to his brother’s influence in the court. He would set out to prove them wrong, and wrong he did prove them. With the help of the small Aragonense fleet who were also at war the Allies over Sardinia was able to defeat the Neapolitan fleet near Oran capturing one ship. This victory would cause Naples to drop out of the war, and would cause a major hole in the allies naval power. With his victory at Oran, Achille was able to assist the siege in Sardinia and stop supplies from coming in. Finally after 435-day siege Cagliari fell after a assault on the city. An arrow killed Martino V in a desperate attempt to hold out.

sC7os.png
eBNhO.png

The Fall of the Cahliari by Urbano Farini

Within days of the victory Gian I declared that Sardinia was now a part of Duchy of Milan. Now a way to Sicily would have to be reached, and for that they needed a naval victory, a victory Achille would give them at the Battle of Gulf of Gabes were with again the help of the Argonense would sink the entire Sicilian fleet and would allow Umberto di Carde to invade the island. He was able to catch King Gugliemo IV off guard and able to crush his army. But news from the north would put a damper on the successes in the south
--------------------------------------------
The Battle of Friuli was the biggest defeat that Milan would face during the entire war. The Milanese lead by Ermes Sabatti was order after the peace with Naples to head north to bring vengeance to Aquileia. He was able to defeat a series of small Aquileian armies in Lombardy one such army he chased across the border into Friuli, it was a trap within days in arriving in Friuli Archbishop Antonio I arrived with an army of 9000 men just barely outnumbering Ermes force of 8000. With his back to a ford he faced of against Antonio I. Antonio charged with his cavalry after a brief fight on the side they retreated, the Milanese cavalry chased after them, Antonio ran them right into a trap were they were surrounded and cut down by pike and swords. Without the cavalry Antonio was able to outflanked Ermes and shatter his army. Of the 8000 that went into Friuli only 3, 597 returned. Ermes was immediately stripped of his command for the defeat that put Milan itself in danger. But luck was on Milan side as the Venice alongside its ally Hungary attacked Aquileia thereby covering the Milanese retreat.

W5Ra5.png

Archbishop Antonio I leading a cavalry charge

Within a few months after the battle the last stronghold of the allies Messenia would fall to Milan. Gian travelled to Messenia where a peace treaty would be signed which would recognize Sardinia, as Milanese land and Sicily would be force to cede half of their Island to them. With no other option, Gugliemo IV agreed. The years following the end of the war were peaceful. But they were not without event.
------------------------------
Johann I of Cleves would be elected emperor after the electors facing deadlock could not decide on whom to choose as the new emperor. It was only after the Archbishop Otto III of Munster decided with collaboration with Cologne choose to elect Johann I, thus beginning the period Cleveian dominance of Holy Roman Empire.
XPyvB.png

------------------------------
Shortly after the wars investigations behind the war and failure at Friuli were underway. The committee overseeing the investigation came upon two conclusions one it was the poor leadership of the Ermes Sabatti and the weapons that he and his men were fighting with, which were of a much lower quality of those of Aqualeia or for that matter the other armies. They believed to correct this mistake that the army would to change its research policies and they it made its weapons. King Gian reluctantly agreed to the reforms.

XoXmS.png

On a diplomatic front thing were blossoming both the Archduchy of Austria and very apologetic Hungary impressed with Milan success offered alliance both were accepted. Relations and trade soon blossomed between the allies, especially with Hungary, which quickly became the closest friend Milan had in Europe. But the dynamics of this alliance however were not all that peachy, relations between Austria and Hungary were gim and dismal both countries were at each others throats having already fought two wars with neither side gaining an advantage over the over.

CR00S.png
4VUwz.png

After returning from a trip to Austria Gian Galezzo I and his son Filipo Maria got sick. Filipo Maria would not make it too Milan dying in Linz. Gian was able to make it back to Milan but died with days of his return. On his deathbed he named his grandson Francesco his heir and that Fillipo Maria Ghiliseri, Umberto Odescalchi, Paolo Testi would act as regents to young duke, with Ghiliseri acting as his chief regent.

Fantastic style, and great use of pictures!

Exceptional work!

Great work...and you're gathering allies I see. But, aren't you the least bit worried about Austria? It will be very interesting to see what happens with the alliance. This makes for a good show...

Last edited:
Nice work. Those were fast conquests.

Boris: Glad you like the style. I think it provides the right vibe as it gives a look into the future, as well as creating a believable alternate history
Ashantai: Thank you, I am glad you like. As I would like say you are setting a great examples with pics in your aar.
Range: Yeah, I was and is a bit worried about Austria, I thought allying with them would provide me time to get stronger so when we eventually fight I would be able to stand a chance. But as you see the alliance did not last long and caused me to panic and send all of my army to the borders expecting war.
JDMS: Yeah I know. I wasn't even suspecting to get Messina but when I sent the peace deal they readily accepted. Unfortunately it won't be a while to I get a chance to expand so rapidly.

Part 3 the Three Noble Regents

Dear Dr. William Hearst

It is official the train has been turned around, the rumors about Switzerland are true. They are in completer rebellion. The conductor has figures it too dangerous us to go east. So we are heading East towards Venice then too Vienna, then up through Germany to Netherlands were I will cross the channel.
Salvatore Catteno
July 5, 1886
---------------------------------
The Death of Gian Galezzo I sent shockwaves across the duchy and Italy. Many international leaders went to Milan to attend the funeral, Kings Lajos II of Hungary, Archduke Albrecht I of Austria, Duke Niccolo III of Ferarra, King Marti I of Aragon, Doge Urbano Schio of Venice, and Jean Charles de Garson who was representing Genoa. The Funeral was unusually grand for a man of his position. The duke was given the funeral of a king. Yet disaster seem to strike the young duke who was just crowned started to develop the symptoms that his father had we he died. The Regents tried everything to save the young boy, the prayed for a miracle to save Milan from anarchy. It was in this despair that Jean Charles de Garson arose to, he was deeply troubled by the young boy’s sickness and went to see him. It was then a miracle occurred, Jean Charles kneeled at side of Francesco sick bed and prayed to god after he done praying he stood up a touched the boy’s forehead. Within days of this the boy was cured of the disease. This miraculous event forever changed the boy who would become deeply religious in response, making matters of religion the only that he excel at. Jean Charles returned home to Genoa where he live for a couple of more years before dying. On Francesco insistence the Milanense Pope Bonifacius X canonized Jean Charles as Saint Jean Charles the healer.

KObK1.png

----------------------------------
One of the first things the Regency council does is to centralize the state giving them more powers over the country. To do they need a system to centralize the entire state. It was the powerful, rich and increasingly yet arrogant Paolo Testi that suggested the solution. He proposed the creation of a system of procedures, protocols, regulations to mange activity within the country. This system would give more control over the noble and make the government more money in tax revenues. This system would improve efficiency throughout Milan. This system would become to be known a Testi’s Bureaucracy or Milanense Bureaucracy it would be the first bureaucratic system in the modern world. The system established by Testi would set an example for the rest of the world. Yet despite it promise it would not be immediately accepted into law.
QANzK.png

There was heavy opposition naturally from the noble but unexpectedly Ghilseri. Ghiliseri resented the amount of power Testi was gaining and the vast amounts of wealth he had acquired through trading through Lubeck, Genoa and Venice. It would take months of debate and ultimately a plea by Umberto Odescalchi to Ghiliseri is finally accepted. But the bureaucracy meant more taxes for the peasants and tension soared. The peasants began to demand more right, unwilling to risk a massive popular revolt. The Regents agreed to their demand.
hbHAm.png

This would be a poor decision as it made the Regents appear weak. One noble Niccolo Sabbati the uncle to the disgraced general Ermes Sabbati would use this opportunity to revolt against the crown. Sabbati using the anger of the oppressed peasants of Sardinia lead a revolt a crowned himself the true Duke of Milan
tpZbt.png

The Sabbati rebellion presented a serious problem to the Regency. If this pretender got the support of the main land nobles it could spell their doom. But problems in Sicily and tension on the borders with Savoy and Genoa meant that armies had to be placed on the borders. Thus the council was disarray as every attempted to figure out their own way of solving the crisis. Infighting became rampant in the court. But an unlikely figure arose with a solution. During one of the council session a ragged man with a thick beard entered the room. Paolo Testi immediately demanded the main tell them who he was. He only said that he was the man that would fix their problem. The man’s name was Ermes Sabbati the disgraced general. He begged the Regents that if they gave him a small force of 4000 that he could crush the rebellion. He wished to restore honour to his family and himself. Seeing no better option they agreed. Ermes quickly gathered a force of 4000 strong a sailed towards the island. He sent a letter to his uncle in advance a that he would meet him in Cagliari. His uncle Niccolo believed that his nephew was defecting and would join him. He could be any more wrong, the two meet outside Cagliari, they both meet within the rebel camp. Without warning out provocation Ermes stabbed his uncle in his chest and killed all of the ringleaders who went with him. The Rebellion without its leader quickly surrendered to Ermes. He hastly returned to Milan were he was greeted with doubt that he had succeeded and that he had failied again like he did at Fruili. When Paolo Testi mocked him due to his incompetence, Ermes threw the old merchant the head of the rebel, and said, “Not a drop of loyal blood was shed to shed this bastard. Now if you will excuse me I need to return to my army.”
With the death of Niccolo Sabbati, peace reigned king over Milan. The Regents lead over a prospering State that was getting richer by the day. A testament to this was Paolo Testi becoming one of the richest men in all of Europe even richer than some Kings. Yet this massive amounts of wealth was not enough for the regency. It now went after to regulate the sales of Gin and other types of Whiskey. By Regulating these sales meant the government could reap massive profits. Unlike the Bureaucracy all of the regents agreed to pass this into law.
jAG53.png

-----------------------------------
Yet things were all not that well on the Diplomatic front, well the were until April 28, 1407. Relations between Austria and Milan leading up to this point were quite well, not as great as those with Hungary but still good. It is why it was great surprise to the Regents of Milan and the world when Archduke Albrecht IV dissolved the alliance.
lvF8h.png

The Regents immediately suspected war and moved all of its armies to their border. Yet war never came, It was under this increasingly hostile tension that the princess of Georgia arrived in Milan with an intriguing proposal. Georgia was medium sized power in the Middle East that was becoming more and more stable by the day, and was seeking allies. Princess Tamar entered into the throne room with much grandeur like that of one the maybe France or Holy Roman Emperor and gave the Georgian offer to Regents and the young King. The offer was simple Tamar would offer her hand in marriage to Francesco I and would convert to Catholicism and would also offer the King of Georgia hand in friendship offering to sign an alliance between the two countries. The Regents shocked by this display did not know how to answer. It was the young king Francesco I who would answer it, and it would be a resounding yes. Despite his mental shortcomings Francesco I believed that he could bring the true faith to the people of Georgia through this marriage.
cVbCV.png

Tamar would prove to be very useful and was a lot smarter than her husband; she along with the Regents would rule the duchy. Shortly after the marriage the young duke Francesco I reach of age and now Duchess Tamar demanded that the nobles set down as Regent and let Francesco I rule as the Duke, the Regents reluctantly agreed but knowing that full well that with the mental chanlleged duke could be easily manipulated by the regents and his wife.
FaZqH.png

Wow, that is an awful king!

I feel for you! What a dreadful ruler!

Very nice writing. I am impressed. :)

Great post...well written...but the King's stats are painful to live with.
Again, nice positioning of photos!

And, I hate to see Austria turning its back...at this point (point wise) what's the relationship between Milan and Austria?

Last edited:
Yeah sorry guys for posting an update in a while but, i recently went down to Halifax for the weekend and i was in no state to right up an update. Instead I have been focusing on play and things have gotten quite interesting.

JDMS: Yeah he is single handily to worse ruler i have ever had
Ashantai: Yeah he is pretty terrible, thus why I will be giving him the name the simple. And thanks for the compliments It great to see people like my work
Range:When the alliance broke it was at 125 now it is at 90
blsteen:Yeah I was a bit surprised by that turn of event two has not expecting an alliance offer from them of all people. As for Genoa as of this point they have Azow but has lost Corsica, and Kaffa. It would soon lose Azow to the Golden Horde.

Part 4: 'The Simple'

Dear Willaim Hearst

Venice is a beautiful town, and I insist that once all of these revolts die down Mary and I must have you and Catherine down here for a vacation.

The town is lovely this time of year, and for the first time in weeks I find myself capable of relaxing. I have used my time well, and have finished another portion of the manuscript in record time. I dare say that I could be done before I return home!

Although far from England, I still hear some rumors that are carried by travelers. I am quite worried by this rise in demands for Republicanism amongst the lower classes in Italy which seems to grow more and more militant by the day and rumours say that their might be war are not good to hear either. I pray that England does not dissolve into this kinda of chaos and I certainly hope these rumours are false.

Salvatore Catteno
August 2, 1886
-------------------------------------
Francesco I often called ‘the Simple’ for his lack of intelligence, is often considered one of Milan worst dukes. Yet despite his falling it is undeniable that he is prominate figure in not only Italian history but World history. His reign began with one of the biggest building projects in the history of Milan. Francesco I was by all means a deeply religious man by all means, and if he was not the duke of Milan he would have been a priest. It is often said that if Francesco I was ever good at something it was matters of religon. So it makes sense that much of the early part of his reign was defined by the creation of churches and cathedrals across Duchy of Milan. The most famous of these are with out a doubt the Cathedral of St. Micheal the Archangel in Milan and the massive Cathedral of St. Jean Charles the healer who was recently canonized by the Milanense pope in Siena. The creation of these churches became a personal obsession for Francesco I.
VtdSf.jpg

----------------------------------------
The people of Milan soon became upset with the kings policies and began to demand more rights in the kingdom, including a right to vote on laws and active role in the government. Fillipo Maria Ghiliseri famously stormed out of the royal palace and famously said in French to the crowd ‘l’etat c’est moi et le roi’s’. Though often-modern historians shorten it to ‘l’etat c’est moi’ (which means I am the state). It would later become the slogan for the period of absolutist kings that would rule over Italy.
nSr8e.png

He would then ordered the royal guard to force the crowd out of palace grounds and had it’s leaders executed. Though not every leader was killed one man and rebellious priest named Gernimo di Maringano. Maringano had some how escaped the royal guards and had fled to Sardinia with a message. He believed that Catholic faith was wrong in the regards of monarchy and he preached belief that all were equal in gods eyes and that monarchs should be held at the same level as everyone else. Thus the Maringnano revolts began in Saradinia with the taking of the military garrison on the island
Y2kv6.png

------------------------------------------
The revolt shook the young duke to his core. How could hertices like Marinagnao exist in his most righteous and holy state? How dare they question his divine rule, he immediately sent out on a boat to meet them in battle despite protest by Ghilseri and Odescalchi that Francesco leave the rebellion to Ermes Sabbati to put down, he refused to listen to his advise, saying that the angels, it was a well known fact that Francesco I believed he could talk to angels who could not be seen by anyone else, told him that he had to fight for God. With the good-sized force Francesco I landed on Sardinia and crushed the rebels. Though it is often accepted that Ermes Sabbati is the one responsible for leading the army to victory and with such success.
LcnnB.png

-----------------------------------
‘Over time everything we know grows old and with time things change, no man however powerful can not stop time.” This passage by the poet Enrico Salavatori is there important to describe the changing nature of Milanense politics and life in general. Put it most reflects two of the most powerful men in Milan Paolo Testi and Filipo Maria Ghiliseri. Paolo Testi obsessed quest for money and riches did not stop him from dying in the fall of 1414, his massive fortune passed on to his son Massimlio who will appear later on in this chronicle. The other man that would pass during this time was the power and ever power hungry Ghiliseri who would die of what many historians believe as cancer. Ghiliseri was given an almost royal funeral and his eulogy was given by Odescalchi who with the death of his two fellow regents was now the most powerful man in all of Milan. Though it did not take long to fill up the spots on the royal council, though Odescalchi and Queen Tamar held the ear of Francesco I Odescalchi brought the cunning and brilliant Fillpo Salvadi a former who defected from the Neapolitan spy services. Tamar countered this by bringing the English writer and philosopher Geoffrey Chaucer. It was During this political chaos that both Hungary and Georgia asked for assistance from Milan in their wars. Hungary had started a war with the Venetians and Georgia a huge bigger threat to Milan was the primary combatant France and its rival Burgundy. Francesco I with out going it over with his advisor Odescalchi agreed to assist both. Francesco I had brought war done on Milan.

Good start; shame about losing the alliance with Austria, though. You'll need somebody that can keep them and the Big Blue Blob at bay.

With weak Cleves as Emperor you might get sucked into a whole lot of Balkan mayhem if the alliance with Hungary still stands.