• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

blklizard

Field Marshal
28 Badges
Mar 7, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Victoria 2
It's been awhile since I finished my first AAR. My first AAR was with the nation of Castille so there's a special bond between me and that nation. I've decided to give it another try with Castille with the goal of reaching the end of the game. I'll be using the same Death and Taxes Mod (a later version though). I have modded two things into the game: all nations will need Quest for the New World to get colonists and truce timers are 10 years long to avoid nations/player blobbing up too quickly.

Difficulty: Normal
Lucky nations to None, all other settings default
Start year: January 10, 1356
Mod: Death and Taxes v10.5
Style: Narrative (Each chapter will have a screenshot and a brief, at times incomplete, story behind it.)

As mentioned in the title, I will be playing as Castille. My goals are:

-Form Spain and/or control Iberia peninsula
-Expand into Africa while limiting my influences in Europe
-Expand into Asia while limiting my influences in Europe
-Fight on continental Europe during the late game

Rules:
-no cheating (reloading might be used when I get unrealistic missions)
-avoid expansion in Europe until late game
-not colonize the New World, let the AIs fight it out there

Subjugating Aragon

Prologue

King Pedro I de Bourgogue wasn't exactly an impressive ruler by any standards. Some might even call him a simpleton but few dared to voice it openly. He did have plenty of power at his disposal and those who spoke ill of him soon found themselves at the chopping block. He was also the legitimate claimant of the throne so no one dared to challenge him unless they had hard evidence. Pedro I, whether the people liked it or not, was the king of Castille.

Castille was arguably one of the stronger nations in Europe. She might not be winning wars left and right but other nations had reasons to fear her. There were four nations on the Iberian Peninsula with her and Aragon the two strongest nations. Portugal could be a difference maker if the two nations ever war against one another so it would be wise to get Portugal as an ally to fight against Aragon. Whether Pedro I would agree with this was another matter.

The king of Castille was also fairly recently made a father with a one year old daughter, Beatriz. While other parts of Europe didn't take kindly with female rulers, the Castillian people accepted a queen if she could prove herself a legitimate heir to the throne. Beatriz was merely an infant but Pedro I was adamant about making her his heir. He claimed she would accomplish great achievements one day. No one believed Pedro I but no one dared to argue against him either.

kzijDr4.png

Subjugating Aragon

Chapter 1

Pedro I was quite bored as he listened to his subjects argue against one another. He would rather prefer spending his time with his wife than with these men who did nothing but argue. He was nearly asleep when he was woken up by a topic his subjects were discussing. He caught the word Aragon and crown which got his attention immediately. He listened carefully and soon concluded that his subjects wanted the two crowns to be unified under one king, preferably him.

The Castillian king might not be an expert in politics but even he could see the benefits of being king of Castille and Aragon. His realm would nearly double in size which would result in more ducats. More ducats meant he could spend more for his various hobbies. Of course, his wife liked expensive things so Pedro I had to satisfy her there. Therefore, the Castillian king agreed to the subjugation of Aragon because, overall, it made everyone in the Castillian government happy.

bVDueKA.png

You should go after Portugal instead. They're more of a threat for your future colonies. Leave Aragon alone. :D

I find it interesting that Castile has an extra L in EUIII. I wonder why they had it that way before.

You should go after Portugal instead. They're more of a threat for your future colonies. Leave Aragon alone. :D

I find it interesting that Castile has an extra L in EUIII. I wonder why they had it that way before.

I have this awesome casus belli on Aragon that I have to use. :p Ironically, Aragon has the same mission so they would show aggression if I didn't. As for the extra L, I never really understood but it just stuck with me ever since.

Subjugating Aragon

Chapter 2

Pedro I was made aware that defeating Aragon wasn't an easy task. The two nations were roughly equal in strength and rumors claimed the Aragonese king was much better in every aspect than him. No one in Castille dared to say that openly fearing for their lives but the rumors still reached Pedro's ears. The Castillian king wasn't content being labelled the second best king in Iberia so he intended on doing something about it.

First, he needed allies to aid him against Aragon and there were really limited options in that regard. In Iberia, Portugal was the only other nation that mattered in Iberian affairs since Navarra was ignored in most cases. An alliance with Portugal would not only solidify the good relations the two nations enjoyed for many decades but also give Castille a slight edge in the war against Aragon. The Portuguese king also saw the many benefits of allying himself with an immediate neighbor of Portugal.

ViPgXiP.png

No! Leave Aragon alone! ;_;

As for the extra L. It comes from the Spanish name for the Kingdom and the region which is of course Castille.

They would attack me otherwise. I must take the initiative, lol.

Subjugating Aragon

Chapter 3

A Portuguese diplomat arrived in the Castillian court to reply to the offer sent by Pedro I. Nearly everyone in the court was aware what the reply was but, until they got confirmation, the alliance technically didn't exist. The diplomat greeted Pedro I and told him that the Portuguese king wished to accept the military alliance with Castille in hopes of creating a better Iberia for both nations. Pedro I dismissed the diplomat once he knew the reply of the Portuguese king.

With the alliance formed, Pedro I could proceed to the next stage of his plan in invading Aragon. He assumed the Portuguese king would answer the call to arms. Some of his subjects had doubts given the relatively good relations enjoyed between Portugal and Aragon. Pedro I firmly believed that, with their alliance, Portugal would no doubt pick Castille over Aragon. He wasn't about to let the doubts of a few subjects affect his good mood and hinted that those who opposed his plan would be imprisoned.

8CMgkX0.png

Subjugating Aragon

Chapter 4

The fated war between Castille and Aragon was declared on fourteenth of January. This war was inevitable considering that both the Castillian king and the Aragonese king had intentions of unifying the two nations under one king. The only difference was which king would rule over both realms. Pedro I might be inferior in many aspects compared to the Aragonese king but he made a critical decision by allying with Portugal.

As some Castillian officials suspected, Portugal wasn't particularly interested in getting involved. The Portuguese king had reasons since he didn't know which side would be victorious. If he sided with the losing side, then Portugal would be doomed. Hoping he made the right decision, the Portuguese king answered the call to arms from Castille seeing an obvious numerical advantage for Castille. The war was, however, far from won.

G3unVuL.png

There seems to be some heathen nation aiding your effort. Any reason why Granada had the urge to help out its mortal enemies? :p

Don't underestimate an alliance with Navarra. Watch France pounce on them while you're preoccupied. :D

There seems to be some heathen nation aiding your effort. Any reason why Granada had the urge to help out its mortal enemies? :p

Don't underestimate an alliance with Navarra. Watch France pounce on them while you're preoccupied. :D

The mod makes it so Castille couldn't eat up Granada immediately by making them a vassal. I don't mind the extra help. :p Oh, Navarra might make an appearance soon. France is occupied with England at the moment.

Subjugating Aragon

Chapter 5

Pedro I felt some pride while his servants put his armor on him. This was the time for him to finally make his name in history. While his officials didn't say it openly, he knew many of them saw him as incompetent. Pedro I knew he wasn't incompetent but, rather, he cared little about the duties he had. He preferred to go hunting or any other activity that allowed him to enjoy life more. Getting stuck in court with officials was the worst fate for him.

Yet, he felt thrill knowing the war was here and he could finally prove his worth. He would personally lead his knights into battle to crush the Aragonese soldiers. Once the Aragonese army was annihilated, the defeat of Aragon would be inevitable. Once he became the king of both realms, Pedro I doubted he would have anymore officials question his leadership. If there was anyone foolish enough, he might have to teach him a thing or two about respect.

jJUF2ov.png

Subbed. D&T AARs are my favorite :)

Welcome! :)

Subjugating Aragon

Chapter 6

Just as his servants finished putting on his armor, Pedro I was told he had a few officials who wished to speak with him. The man said they had a domestic matter to speak of which annoyed Pedro I to no end. They were about to go into a serious war with Aragon and his officials had time to waste with something so minute. He agreed to speak with them but he expected the meeting to be a short one as glory awaited him on the battlefield.

The officials thanked the king for granting them audience and went straight to the point regarding a few changes that were proposed earlier in the month. They argued the changes went against the traditions they upheld for centuries so it was wise to stop them from taking place. Pedro I couldn't believe these officials had the nerve of bothering him with something so trivial so he accepted the demands to get rid of them.

bmq6E1C.png

Well if that event happened early enough, it doesn't really set you back because you probably had almost nothing invested in government tech. :D

Now watch Pedro I die in battle. Ah the low life expectancy of generals.

Well if that event happened early enough, it doesn't really set you back because you probably had almost nothing invested in government tech. :D

Now watch Pedro I die in battle. Ah the low life expectancy of generals.

Yup, it doesn't affect me in any way but it's still an annoying event later on. :p

Pedro I is a 3/3/4 monarch so, given his low stats, we know he won't kick the bucket that easily. :)

Subjugating Aragon

Chapter 7

Pedro I wasn't impressed when he finally caught sight of the Aragonese army reported to have entered Castillian territory. He was looking forward to the decisive battle where he came out on top and crushed the Aragonese soldiers. Instead, he encountered a small detachment of Aragonese soldiers who were more scouts than anything. Still, Pedro I wasn't about to let them leave Castillian territory alive.

The Castillian king ordered six thousand infantry to engage the enemy while the remainder of his army waited in the rear. He saw no need to dedicate his entire army in the engagement and held his relatively large cavalry force in reserve. He would use them to fight another Aragonese army reported to have entered Castillian territory quite recently. Pedro I wondered if his Aragonese counterpart would be riding with that army.

nIaw5lr.png

Subscribed!

No goals in America?

Subscribed!

No goals in America?

Welcome! I'll leave the Americas to the AIs. :)

Subjugating Aragon

Chapter 8

Pedro I was disappointed once again when he discovered the other army being insignificant as well. He yearned for a battle fit for his status but he only discovered detachments of Aragonese forces. It was as though God himself didn't want him to have a chance at glory. Pedro I didn't blame God because he saw this as an indication that he wasn't quite ready yet. His time would come to crush the Aragonese king.

The Castillian king watched as his soldiers searched the battlefield for Aragonese survivors. His victory was so decisive that he didn't lose a single men in the engagement. The entire Aragonese army was believed to be annihilated but Pedro I wanted to see if he could get any survivors. Survivors could provide him with the information he needed to locate the main Aragonese army.

SZ4B7Ha.png

Announcement: I've decided to add another segment (a special if you may) to this AAR. I will be modding certain aspects of the D&T mod to my liking and, using the observer view as Tahiti, watch the progress of AI Castille in an alternate timeline from the 1356 start date. More information will arise as I complete more of the modification.

The old AI that keeps sending minor stacks...

The old AI that keeps sending minor stacks...

It improves later on. Early game has that happening a lot. :p

Subjugating Aragon

Chapter 9

The sound of war cries excited Pedro I as his army stood atop a hill overlooking a battle. This was a battle that excited him as a general. He finally got his chance to prove his worth when his scouts reported a large scale battle at Alicante. Looking down at the battle between his Portuguese allies and Aragonese forces led by the Aragonese king himself, Pedro I ordered his men to reinforce his allies at once. This was a battle they had to win.

Pedro I was in no hurry to join the battle below. He instead joined his Portuguese counterpart who was directing the battle atop another hill. He admired the Portuguese king who had managed to hold out against a larger army until the arrival of the Castillian soldiers. With the arrival of the Castillian soldiers, the Aragonese flanks were threatened which was already demoralizing their morale. Pedro I was confident they could win this battle but the Aragonese army was far from being annihilated.

ONaLD5n.png

Damn, Castile has a ton of troops near the game start. :eek:

I hope in the alternate timeline Aragon swallows up Castile. :p