• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bloody hell that is one chunky empire. It will surely be challenging to keep such a vast and diverse realm together in the High Middle Ages. I can imagine at the first sign of serious internal conflict (and perhaps the Mongol invasion) we could see much of it come tumbling down.

Ominous words about the future. Perhaps Ivan would do best to consolidate his realm spiritually before it’s too late. Which it probably is...

This new caliph sounds a riot. Bad times around the corner once again?

I will also join the ranks of people commenting on just how gigantic Ruthenia is becoming. A nice muslim cordon sanitaire might be the thing in Central Europe…

How long to the Mongol onslaught though...

That golden, Almohadi Ruthenia...
*sniff* it's so beautiful.
Unfortunately, it seems it can't last, what with Ivan's ascendancy.
Also, can you form the Empire of Slavia? Your line is Russian-cultured. Do you have to be Christian to do that?

Between Vasilko and Yuriy, the Russian Caliphate has certainly enjoyed a period of stability and prosperity, if not necessarily "peace" per se -- but already one can see the seeds of future turmoil beginning to sprout.

Mahdi Ivan II of the Russian Caliphate, 1154 - 1176
Mahdi Ivan II Clarovich of the Russian Caliphate

Born: 1116
Reigned: 1154 - 1176

H8gBjvU.png

Prince Ivan Clarovich was once the most popular man in Kiev. An attractive youth with a confident swagger, Ivan cut a rakish figure in the staid court of the caliphate. Court gossips love to repeat tales of his dueling victories and the women he’d loved. In one popular story, Ivan was with his lover when her husband arrived home, and he was forced to jump out a second story window and sneak back to the castle--while nude, perhaps, or in her gown. (The gossips told it both ways.)

As he grew older, however, this popularity began to evaporate. In his mid-twenties, the prince began to experience periodic episodes of psychosis and other symptoms of schizophrenia. The gossips stopped saying that he was a rake and started suggesting that he was possessed by demons. Ivan began to challenge those who said that he was controlled by shayatin, but this did not endear him to the commons like it had when he would duel for a woman’s hand. If he slew his opponent, it was little better than murder in the public’s eyes.

In one particularly savage contest, Ivan lost badly, breaking his left arm and several of his ribs as well as losing the use of his right eye. His wounds became infected soon after, and he spent several months bed-ridden lingering between life and death. During this period, the prince had a powerful experience with the numinous, which he found life-changing. Ivan credited his survival to the assistance of the divine. He began to believe that his experience with psychosis opened his perception to a higher knowledge about the cosmos, and began to consult with mystics and spiritual teachers to understand his experiences further.

The court might have seen this as a harmless eccentricity, were he not due to inherit the caliphate. Pious Almohadi became concerned to hear of their future spiritual head earnestly questioning Sephardic merchants about the Kabbalah or seeking to purchase the writings of the gnostic Christians. The caliphs of the past had not always been perfectly moral individuals, to say the least, and the Russian Almohadis were able to reckon with their caliph’s indiscretions. Ivan’s apparent possession and his freewheeling heterodoxy were a far bigger challenge.

Mahdi Yuriy would not hear of disinheriting his eldest son, however. The caliph had a father’s love for his son, and while he did not understand mental illness as a modern observer might, he understood Ivan to be afflicted by something out of his control. The prince was otherwise an exceptionally talented young man, and Yuriy was happy to believe that his condition could be overcome through will and personal discipline. In the meantime, the Mahdi would not punish his son for struggling.

As Yuriy’s health deteriorated, Prince Ivan made a sincere effort to portray himself as the orthodox Muslim ruler-in-waiting. He attended Friday prayers regularly, lavished patronage on esteemed scholars. When his father passed away, Mahdi Ivan was in preparations to leave on the hajj with a distinguished retinue as a symbol of his conviction. However, this display of orthodox conviction was all for show--and the court knew it.

L0apckt.png

Shortly after Ivan acceded to the throne, the caliphate’s eastern frontier erupted into revolt. In Bavaria, a pious Catholic by the name of Werigand Wüllersleben-Villach raised an army of disgruntled veterans under the flag of a Catholic Bavaria. The army overwhelmed the local Karling retinue and ambushed an imperial army at Leuchtenburg, briefly holding Ivan’s brother Stepan hostage. With Prince Stepan in hand, however, the rebel leaders fell out on larger strategic questions and split into rival factions, permitting Mahdi Ivan to defeat each army piecemeal.

In Poland, a fāris known only as Jakub led a second uprising. Two generations after the Polish jihad, the warrior class of Poland had absorbed Islam thoroughly into their self-conception, and many of these pious farsan were outraged by the rumors of their Mahdi’s heterodoxy. However, like the rebels in Bavaria, the farsan were not united behind a single solution. Jakub and his supporters favored an independent Almohadi kingdom based out of Kraków, but a majority held to the authority of the Mahdi and would not rise. While Jakub’s rising was easily put down, the notion that the farsan might serve as a guarantor of orthodoxy proved quite influential.

With central Europe in flames, the ambitious king of England saw a chance to make his own play against the hated caliphate. King Eudoxios, the Greek-speaking monarch of England [1], launched a holy war for Russian holdings in Jutland, hoping to claim valuable ports while the Mahdi was distracted with internal troubles. The caliphal army was forced to march from Wien to Slesvig, where they encountered the English army. In a two day battle, the Ruthenian army was able to drive Eudoxios north, taking one casualty for every three in the Catholic forces. From there, the numerical advantage of the caliphate made the difference, leading to a series of defeats for the English. The highlight of the campaign was a brief Russian invasion of the English mainland and the capture of Dover, which ultimately forced Eudoxios to surrender. It was the first time that a Muslim army had invaded the British Isles.

BNqAFxM.png

With the surrender of Eudoxios in 1162, Ruthenia was once again at peace for the first time in years. However, the turmoil had taken a personal toll on Ivan. His psychotic episodes became more severe, prompting him to return to his spiritual questing in an attempt to understand what precisely these episodes were meant to teach him. On multiple occasions, he invited his Grand Allamah to a private meeting to ask him earnest questions about methods to identify jinn--the better, he said, to identify their influence on mankind.

The rumors swirling around Mahdi Ivan were shocking to pious Muslims in the caliphate, none more so than Mitrofan Vladimirovich and the Grecheskiy school. The possibility of a so-called Mahdi who was under the influence of shayatin, who was being led into possible apostasy, demonstrated how corrupted the institution had become in the hands of a temporal ruler. Their concerns were amplified when a high chieftain in Thessalonika of indisputable Oskyldr publicly renounced Islam in favor of the gnostic Christian writings. Clearly the shayatin were at work all around them.

The great boyars were increasingly concerned about Ivan’s instability as well. When the Mahdi issued a series of revisions to the Russkaya Pravda further centralizing authority in Kiev, it set off a fresh round of outrage in Novgorod, Minsk, and the other holdings of the boyars. Mitrofan began to play to their outrage: what was the caliphate except another unjustified power grab by Kiev? Wouldn’t an independent ulema be able to serve as a bulwark against overweening imperial authority? Now the boyars were listening.

On April 8, 1172, a few dozen of the most powerful nobles in the caliphate arrived at Kiev. Accompanying them was Mitrofan Vladmirovich, who was now seventy and trembling with a sense of promise. They filed into Ivan’s solar and issued an ultimatum: Ivan II would affirm the liberties of the boyars and renounce the title of ‘Mahdi’. Henceforth, the clergy would be independent of the crown, funded by land taxes and led by a supreme cleric of unquestioned authority. By now, there was no question who that would be.

qiqqUAw.png

Now recognized as Mahdi in his own right, Mitrofan had no doubt what his next goal was. Almost immediately, he issued a call for a great jihad to retake Jerusalem, seeing no better way to demonstrate the power of a purified Islam. Jerusalem was held by Emperor Jean of Francia, who had been diplomatically isolated after a series of disputes with the papacy and the kingdom of Asturias. Mitrofan wagered, correctly, that most Catholic powers would sit on their hands rather than fight for the unpopular French emperor.

He wagered also that Ivan, now known as Grand Patriarch Ivan II of Ruthenia, would call the banners and march for Jerusalem. This was also not much of a risk: since the ultimatum on 1172, the power in Ruthenia had drained away from Kiev and back toward the boyars. They would not be satisfied if Ivan bucked the authority of the true Mahdi. And indeed, when the great Jihad for Jerusalem was called, Ivan was the first to pledge his support, with a dozen Grecheskiy boyars at his heels.

There was a message, if one wished to hear it, in those who did not show up for the jihad. In Poland, Lithuania, Novgorod and the lands of the White Rus’, very few of the minor nobility or the farsan acknowledged the new Mahdi’s call for jihad. Even in the empire’s southern holdings of Bulgaria and Nikeae, where support for the Grecheskiy was at its height, many smallholders sat on their hands. The end of the caliphate, like its beginning, had been a largely elite-driven process; the lower orders had not had a chance to weigh in, although they would make their feelings known soon enough.

QuxOLHO.png

To Mahdi Mitrofan and his supporters, however, the jihad began in a spirit of great triumph. Ivan led the imperial retinue personally to a series of victories over the divided French forces, including a smashing rout in Beirut against a Catholic force half again the size of the Russian forces. Behind him, the boyars occupied most of the prominent castles in the kingdom of Jerusalem, including the holy city itself. Mitrofan was thrilled to see his prophetic expectations fulfilled. Older men said that the Grand Patriarch, too, began to resemble the rakish blademaster he had once been--at least for a time.

Then, while riding down a fleeing French army in Tall Hamid, Ivan took an arrow wound to the side. The wound was superficial enough, but it became infected overnight and his health quickly declined. On June 12, after eight agonizing days, Ivan II died in a tent in the Levant. His heir, now the Grand Patriarch Yuriy II Gorislavovich, was all of thirteen, alone in Kiev with his army in the Levant.

The trouble was only just getting started.

5PhFug0.png

[1] England was, of course, a predominantly Norse kingdom with some Germanic-speaking and Celitc minorities in the hinterlands.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Bloody hell that is one chunky empire. It will surely be challenging to keep such a vast and diverse realm together in the High Middle Ages. I can imagine at the first sign of serious internal conflict (and perhaps the Mongol invasion) we could see much of it come tumbling down.

Well, without getting into too many spoilers--I've played through 1300 and I can say that Yuriy I brought the kingdom to its territorial peak.

Ominous words about the future. Perhaps Ivan would do best to consolidate his realm spiritually before it’s too late. Which it probably is...

It sure would have been a good idea to consolidate the realm for a while. But I had the idea that I wanted to create a new custom faith, so...

I have no regrets but things do get crazy.

Ruthenia, territory wise, looks more like spreading disease than stable country

This made me laugh and it is also 100% true.

This new caliph sounds a riot. Bad times around the corner once again?

I will also join the ranks of people commenting on just how gigantic Ruthenia is becoming. A nice muslim cordon sanitaire might be the thing in Central Europe…

Bad times are only just getting started, I'm afraid. And yes, it would be nice to have a bunch of independent Muslim kingdoms around--part of the reason why I switched over to a Spiritual Head for my religion rather than a temporal head, because that would allow me to leave an independent ruler in charge of, say, a Muslim 'crusader state' in Sweden or Pomerania or wherever. Of course, things didn't go entirely as planned.

How long to the Mongol onslaught though...

Pffft. We're much better at killing Russians than any outsider would be.

That golden, Almohadi Ruthenia...
*sniff* it's so beautiful.
Unfortunately, it seems it can't last, what with Ivan's ascendancy.
Also, can you form the Empire of Slavia? Your line is Russian-cultured. Do you have to be Christian to do that?

I can form it--you don't need to be Christian. That is more or less what I was trying to do, and why Ruthenia got so large. I got very close, but then events intervened.

Between Vasilko and Yuriy, the Russian Caliphate has certainly enjoyed a period of stability and prosperity, if not necessarily "peace" per se -- but already one can see the seeds of future turmoil beginning to sprout.

Yup. There were a lot of problems being kicked down the road, and now Ivan and his successors will have to reckon with them.

• 2Like
Reactions:
[1] England was, of course, a predominantly Norse kingdom with some Germanic-speaking and Celtic minorities in the hinterlands.
Oh, of course. I mean, how could it be anything else? Especially with a Greek monarch.
:D

Also, have you started to insert modded events? Those Greki events don't look like they're from the base game.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Also, have you started to insert modded events? Those Greki events don't look like they're from the base game.

Grecheskiy Islam is a custom Sunni faith that I made in-game; everything about Mitrofan and the boyars pre-1172 was made up for the AAR, to make sure that this religious conversion didn't feel like a retread of the last one. I haven't been modding, although I do use a couple of console commands to help the narrative for a later section.

So it's only going to go downhill from here then. At least until the 1300s... Not good.

Oh I wouldn't say that--there are good periods coming up, punctuated by periods of utter chaos.

Ivan was indeed a riot. Love the fact we have mysticist gnostic splitters in the faith. This is going to make for some wild times over the next few reigns, I can't help but feel.

For now, Yuriy has really inherited a bum deal. Does he have any hope of emerging from the regency with control in his own hands?

a pious Catholic by the name of Werigand Wüllersleben-Villach
The cadet branch mechanics continue to throw up some of the wackiest names in the world.

I would pay fifty dollars to hear Christoph Waltz say that name out loud, that's for sure.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
A boy-emperor at the head of a mujahideen army in Jerusalem with plenty of religious unrest at home... yep, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure plenty of what-if-scenarios would be discussed in that timeline's future about what would have happened if Ivan II hadn't been a possessed man, but could rather fulfil the promise his unquestionable ability offered.

Grand Patriarch Yuriy II of Ruthenia, 1176 - 1180
Grand Patriarch Yuriy II Gorislavovich of Ruthenia

Born: 1163
Reigned: 1176 - 1180

bXgkXeR.png

The end of the Russian caliphate was met with shock and dismay by traditionalists everywhere, particularly in Poland and northern Russia. The Greki were largely unknown in Ruthenia’s northern holdings, and rumors spread quickly that the good and wise Mahdi Ivan had fallen prey to a cabal of crypto-Christians. When the Grek Mahdi, Mitrofan, sent clerics north to call for pious Muslims to claim the lands of Jerusalem, they were met with hostility nearly everywhere. In Poznań and Warszawa, the crowds greeted Greki clerics with stony silence. In Kraków, a mob of rowdy apprentices threw stones at the esteemed faqih Boris of Adrianoplis and assaulted his small crowd of supporters; the Patriarch was forced to send a detachment of light cavalry to retrieve the terrified cleric.

Even had the lower orders been aware of the Greki arguments, it was unlikely that they would have been sympathetic. The great boyars often saw Kiev as an impediment to their traditional liberties, but the Mahdis were simply too remote from the life of a peasant or even a minor landholder to appear domineering. They feared the interference and tyranny of Kraków (or Novgorod, or Minsk), and saw the Mahdi as a distant figure who cared for the common people. Stripping the Mahdi of his authority would mean that nobody could stand in the way of the local patriarchs.

As with the religious revolts under Ivan I, the Almohadi revolt began with a local dispute. In the fall of 1174, the unpopular high chieftain of Lower Silesia summarily stripped the ‘alim in Świebodzin from his responsibilities for failing to recognize the authority of Mahdi Mitrofan Vladimirovich. The ‘alim (known to history only as Andrzej) protested and refused to leave the Świebodzin mosque. The high chieftain sent in a detachment of heavy infantry to remove Andrzej by force, but they were met by an angry crowd of merchants, craftsmen, and peasants standing in defense of their ‘alim. Perhaps somebody in the crowd threw a rock, perhaps the commander gave a hasty order--in any case, a riot was sparked that obliged the high chieftain’s men to make a hasty retreat. The triumphant crowd ejected the high chieftain’s representatives and claimed the town for the Mahdi and for true Islam.

The following day, the high chieftain rode out himself with a complement of warriors to confront the rebellious town. There he discovered that the town had been reinforced overnight by a large number of deserters from his own retinue, led by Stefan Godziemba, a popular young fāris (about whom more later). In the ensuing battle, the high chieftain was captured and his men scattered. Overnight, Godziemba urged his captive liege in vain to take up the banner of the Mahdi against the Greki conspirators. This having failed, the high chieftain was tried by a court of the rebels on charges of treason and apostasy, and executed in the village square.

The uprising in Świebodzin inspired a wave of imitators over the winter and early spring of 1175, until most of Poland was flying the flag of rebellion. The rebellions were led by farsan, small landowners and prosperous burghers, typically with the sympathy of the commons. Many who served as professional soldiers in noble retinues deserted for the rebels, while loyalist garrisons were quickly overwhelmed. In smaller towns and cities, they frequently had the gates thrown open as they arrived. So far as we can tell, the rebellion of the farsan was still professing itself a war in defense of the Mahdi and Islam. Supportive clerics described the rebellion as a sacred struggle and its warriors as mujahideen.

In late August, 1175, the rebels invested the city of Kraków with a force numbered in the tens of thousands. Kraków had been the seat of Polish kings for centuries, since before the advent of Islam, and the populace there was more hostile to the rebellion than elsewhere. The lengthy siege exposed serious deficiencies in the rebel leadership, which had perhaps several dozen local champions all squabbling for control. As a result, they struggled in logistical matters and it seemed for a time that the besiegers might starve before the besieged.

The sack of Kraków in February, 1176 was particularly brutal--disorganized rebels, enraged at the hostility of the city’s townspeople and full of their own righteousness, looted the wealthy merchants of the town and set the dhimmi quarter aflame. Dozens of Christians and Jews died before the farsan could restore order. The farsan were horrified at the sacking and hanged two dozen of the worst offenders, but dhimmi leaders were not assuaged and many gravitated to the side of the Greki.

eMdsFr4.png

The fall of Kraków was greeted with alarm in Kiev, where the imperial council had fully expected the Polish patriarch to defeat a disorganized peasant mob. The fastest ship left in Kiev was sent with alacrity to the Levant to alert the Grand Patriarch of the rebellion and urge him to return home to restore order. However, the ship was delayed due to springtime storms and did not find the imperial army until Grand Patriarch Ivan had already perished. The urgent message went instead to Dmitry Konstantinovich Oskyldr, High Chief of Dubrovnik and Ivan’s second-in-command.

Dmitry was a kinsman of the Grand Patriarch, who could trace his descent from Dyre the Stranger via a younger son of Vasilko III and thus had a colorable claim on the throne. The fact of a man like this in sole command of the imperial army would generate suspicion, then and later. He was not, however, a man with particular ambition for himself. Rather, the High Chieftain had been raised with the expectation of service to the throne, and this ideal is one that he held deeply. During Ivan’s reign he had been less a commander than an enforcer in the organized crime sense, who had delivered maximum punishment to rebel armies and invading heathens alike. With Ivan dead and Poland up in arms, however, the Butcher of Bavaria would need to decide a different way to proceed.

Dmitry’s first decision was to sail his men--some eighteen thousand weary mujahideen--to Ragusa rather than Kiev, anticipating (correctly) that the Polish rebels were likely to march south in order to rally the Sloviens to their side. When the army arrived in Ragusa, however, he learned that the situation was much more than he had realized. After news of Ivan’s death reached Ruthenia, the Bavarian Catholics had risen up in rebellion as well, and he was hearing disturbing rumors that the southern Slavic boyars were planning to revolt for their independence as well.

Dmitry and his commanders reached a basic understanding of the situation: the revolt of the Polish farsan was a critical threat to the throne, and the other two revolts were not. Riders were sent to the Catholic rebels in Bavaria and to the High Chieftain of Bihar, who had orchestrated the southern Slavic cabal: Kiev would not interfere with their legitimate claims to independence if they did not interfere with the suppression of the Polish revolt. For the rebellious farsan, Dmitry would offer an amnesty to all who laid down their arms. Those who did not would be put down with maximum brutality. He hoped to use the disorganization of the rebel army against them, attacking them piecemeal until the survivors finally made peace.

Dmitry Konstaninovich was acting well outside of his established authority, hoping to present Yuriy II and his regency council with a fait accompli. For all practical purposes, the commander of the imperial army was the only figure on the loyalist side that mattered, and he made decisions on that basis. When word of Dmitry’s conduct reached Kiev, however, the Grand Patriarch saw things differently. Yuriy II, with the inborn suspicion that came from years of coping with his father’s psychosis, determined that Dmitry was using the rebellion in order to place himself on the throne.

The one advantage that Dmitry had was the disorganization of the rebels. On May 20, 1177, the imperial army found and routed a rebel army numbered perhaps twenty-five hundred men, effectively ending it as a fighting force. He secured a much larger victory on October 21st, in Avlonas, leading to the death of seven thousand rebels. The farsan still outnumbered his army, but as long as they remained divided, the loyalists would have a crucial advantage.

xR0BDUG.jpg

The rebel army retreated northward for the winter of 1177-78 to their strongholds in Poland. The losses at Danji Kraji and Avlonas had been a shock to many in the rebel forces, who genuinely had not anticipated that the Mahdi himself (as many still considered Yuriy II) would have opposed his loyal subjects. The leading farsan saw it as particularly grave. They had received Dmitry’s offer of amnesty but could not believe such an offer coming from the Butcher from Bavaria. It would surely be victory or death. But to achieve victory, they would need a single commander, not a multitude of voices.

It was, therefore, a long, dark winter of internecine struggle, but in the end a cohort of western Poles known as the Ślązacy (lit., “the Silesians”) emerged victorious, centered around the figure of Stefan Godziemba. Godziemba had credibility as the first to draw blood during the rebellion, and over the course of his life he proved a master at managing rival factions without making enemies. In order to assuage rival factions, the Ślązacy promised that lands seized from ‘apostates’ (i.e., the Greki) would be given to the righteous. On the question of Dmitry’s amnesty offer, Godziemba adopted an all or nothing line. Kiev could not be trusted, so in order to protect Islam he would not sheathe his sword until a righteous Muslim sat upon the throne. Few missed that he was referring to himself.

First, of course, the imperial army would need to be defeated. The rebels had been receiving reports from Dmitry’s camp that made them optimistic at such a prospect. Morale in the imperial winter camp was low, as common folk who had expected to fight Christians for Jerusalem found themselves instead in Croatia fighting Muslims like themselves. Dmitry could not use religious rhetoric as effectively as the rebels because--as he well knew--the bulk of his peasant levies sympathized with the rebel cause. The professional soldiers of the imperial retinue, meanwhile, were once again anxious that a bankrupt imperial crown would try to dock their pay, and rebel agents were eager to suggest just that. Desertion was rampant that winter, leaving the High Chieftain with a fraction of the men he had commanded in Jerusalem.

During the campaigning season of 1178, therefore, Godziemba and his rebels refused to meet the imperials in open battle. The Polish light cavalry launched raids on the imperial supply lines, disrupted communications, and ambushed isolated patrols, only to retreat before battle lines could be drawn. In the spring of 1178, the imperials had perhaps twelve thousand warriors in their army; by the end of the fall, it was closer to nine. In the spring of 1179, with the imperial retinue nearly mutinous, the rebels finally chose to give battle. Stefan Godziemba met Dmitry Oskyldr in battle at Visegrád, their numbers seemingly even. Unbeknownst to the imperials, however, a complement of rebel cavalry had crossed the river Danube to their south; late in the afternoon, while the imperials and rebels were locked in combat, the rebel heavy horse appeared on the imperial right and led a devastating flanking maneuver. Thousands of imperial soldiers died and just as many fled. Dmitry was captured attempting to organize an orderly retreat, and brought before the rebel farsan in chains.

vTZZ30o.png

The defeat at Visegrád stunned the imperial court in Kiev. The Regency Council was desperate to raise men from the great boyars, but they received nothing but excuses in return. The boyars now saw that Kiev might well lose the war, and in such a case there was no point alienating the rebel leadership. Attempts to raise money for mercenaries proved similarly futile--the crown was unable to pay interest on the debt it already had. Grand Patriarch Yuriy II Gorislavovich, now only months away from manhood, took a dark and suspicious view of events. His correspondence with selected boyars was full of conspiracies, most of which revolved around Dmitry himself.

Once in captivity, Dmitry became the object of a Ślązacy charm offensive. The victorious rebels were beginning to think of the future, and it seemed prudent to win allies from the imperial side. He was invited to dine at Stefan Godziemba’s table, and healers tended to his wounds and those of his compatriots. He was even asked to appear by Godziemba’s side while the rebel leaders said the Salat al-Janazah for the fallen of Visegrád, pointedly including the imperials and rebels alike.

After several weeks of this generous treatment, Dmitry was suddenly given a letter--written by Yuriy II to a Slovien ally and intercepted by a rebel fāris. The High Chieftain had corresponded primarily with the Regency Council, who treated their commander with cool courtesy. Yuriy’s views, therefore, came as quite a shock to him. The boy did not simply think that Dmitry had exceeded his authority; in his view Dmitry had been against him from the start, acting in consort with elements in the rebel leadership to seize the throne for himself. Perhaps, the boy darkly hinted, Ivan II had not simply perished from a wound taken in battle in either.

The following day, a shaken High Chieftain was invited for a private stroll with Stefan Godziemba. The rebel leader was in an expansive mood, recounting tales of derring-do in border skirmishes with the Christian Franks and praising Dmitry’s victories during the recent jihad. He then began to question Dmitry about the boyars who had remained neutral in the rebellion thus far, expressing with evident sincerity a desire to bring them into the fold peacefully and limit further bloodshed. Finally, without mentioning Yuriy’s letter, Godziemba turned to his companion and offered him a seat on the imperial council.

Over the course of the year, High Chieftain Dmitry Oskyldr would travel to Memel, Minsk, and Novgorod, to treat with the patriarchs there. They were troubled by the instability of Ivan II and his son and unable to see a path to victory for the imperials. There was no better envoy for the rebels than Dmitry Oskyldr, and he made his case bluntly: even if Yuriy Gorislavovich could have won the civil war, he could not bring peace to Ruthenia. Only one man was capable of that now.

Late in the winter of 1180, the great boyars arrived in Świebodzin, to the simple castle that served as Stefan Godziemba’s castle. They watched, stone-faced, as Stefan Godziemba accepted the imperial crown of Ruthenia by an Almohadi cleric, standing with solemn dignity while the rebel farsan whooped and hollered. Godziemba called then for a hush. These mighty lords, tied to Yuriy Gorislavovich by deep ties of blood and honor, stood before the Polish knight and knelt before him, one by one. The dynasty founded by Dyre the Stranger three centuries ago had been overthrown.

AJlEBPq.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:
In-game, I was really trying to defeat this Polish Almohadi populist uprising; I figured that I could go back after Bavaria and the independence faction later, but the populists were demanding basically every Almohadi province that I had left--which was damn near all of them, since I barely had the ability to convert anything before Ivan II kicked the bucket. I was able to take out some of the smaller rebel armies, as portrayed, and that got my war score up where I was _this_ close away from being able to get a white peace. Literally, all I needed to do was un-siege one of the rebel-held provinces and I would have been able to peace out the rebels and this AAR would go very differently. Except attrition had done a number of me and when I was like two weeks away from lifting the rebel occupation the populist army came and kicked my ass.

(You may be wondering how a populist leader wound up getting my imperial title; once I switched to Stefan Godziemba after the war was over, I gave him the title via a console command and continued to play as him. It seemed the most fitting way to keep the story going.)

In the end, I'm excited for this--it wasn't what I wanted, but I'm glad it happened and I think it adds something to the larger story. BTW, you will be seeing Yuriy Gorislavovich again in the narrative, and maybe not in the role that you would expect.

For now, Yuriy has really inherited a bum deal. Does he have any hope of emerging from the regency with control in his own hands?

In-game, he very nearly did.

A boy-emperor at the head of a mujahideen army in Jerusalem with plenty of religious unrest at home... yep, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure plenty of what-if-scenarios would be discussed in that timeline's future about what would have happened if Ivan II hadn't been a possessed man, but could rather fulfil the promise his unquestionable ability offered.

Oh my, if Ivan had been able to live up to his potential, then arguably the Grek schism never happens which means no Almohadi revolt which means the dynasty would survive for the foreseeable future. It's a big turning point in TTL's history, at least so far as the Russians are concerned.

Every action begets an equal an opposite reaction -- a law as common in human relationships as it is in physics. The Greki may have achieved their aims of separating temporal and spiritual power in the short term, but they seem to have massively miscalculated how their moves would be seen by the wider empire, and now they -- and Yuriy II and his dynasty -- are paying the price for that.

In much the same way, the young former Patriarch seems to have conjured up his own arch-nemesis from the shadows with his paranoia over High Chief Dmitry's intentions. While the defeat at Visegrád was certainly a shock, one wonders if it would have had nearly the same impact had Yuriy not unwittingly undermined his greatest ally's loyalty like that.