• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Gleb was just the man needed to mend the wounds of the Time of Troubles.

And Ruthenia was fairly lucky so far with immediate successors to successful rulers. Will Gavriil continue that trend or break it? He's got a good situation to work with, at least.

Grand Patriarch Gavriil of Ruthenia, 1320 - 1340
Grand Patriarch Gavriil Glebovich of Ruthenia

Born: 1295
Reigned: 1320 - 1340

CmeQwoJ.png

Europe in 1320 was dominated by three old polities. The Empire of Francia claimed descent from the old Carolingian Empire under Charlemagne, and was ruled by a cadet branch of the storied Karling dynasty. They were the leading Catholic power by far, with a reliable command of some eighty thousand men. Francia had spent much of the twelfth century embroiled in a three way struggle with the Papal States and Asturias; but in the thirteenth century, the Karling king Francois I led a reconciliation between Paris and Rome that permitted the Catholic powers to regroup in western Europe.

The Lubbid Empire dominated nearly all of Hispania, having defeated the attempted ‘reconquista’ of the Christian kingdom of Asturias. The Lubbid dynasty claimed descent from the Umayyads, who had been the second major dynasty to rule the Muslim world; after their overthrow by the Abbasids in the eighth century, an Umayyad emir had established rule in Cordoba and claimed his land as the true caliphate of Islam. The Lubbid caliphs traced their descent back to the prophet, and beyond their eighty thousand men Cordoba could count on deep familial and economic ties to Muslim Arabia.

The third power was, of course, Ruthenia. In the twelfth century, Kiev had been the most feared among Christian Europe, a reliable enemy in central Europe and in the Holy Land. Many Catholic dynasties included in their personal history a story about crossing swords with the dreaded Russian farsan. However, religious turmoil, civil war, and Godziemba isolation had taken its toll. Ruthenia in 1320 was a rump state compared to its territorial heights under Yuriy I Vasilkovich nearly two centuries earlier, and they had struggled to master even their own boyars. Kiev could command perhaps sixty thousand men, but they had not intervened overseas in quite some time.

With the ascent of Gavriil Glebovich, ambitious councillors began to dream of a return to the days of Vasilko I with their great alliance between tsar and caliph that had stood as a bulwark against Catholic treachery. The most prominent of the warhawks was Patriarch Żegota of Novgorod, who had retired from military command following a grievous injury and took his place as chancellor to the new Grand Patriarch. Gavriil Glebovich had the family tendency to depression and introversion; he was scarcely seen in court and it was whispered that he often failed to get out of bed. As a result, rule fell to a series of powerful councillors, who ran Kiev as de facto regents with the rubber stamp approval of their sovereign. Of these, Żegota was the most successful.

In 1323, war broke out between Cordoba and Paris over Lubbid claims to the county of Asturias de Santilana, who was then in Catholic hands. The two great powers were evenly matched and after three years of brutal fighting had fought each other to a near-stalemate. All of Kiev sympathized with the Lubbid cause, to be sure, but Żegota and his warhawks went further: they traced dynastic links between the Krivichi and the Lubbids to justify a formal alliance between west and east. Żegota then obtained approval from the Grand Patriarch (or so he claimed) to sail to Cordoba and carry out negotiations to enter the war on the Iberian side. On January 10, 1327, the Patriarch returned to Kiev with a formal request from Malik al-Muazzam Utman II ibn Utman to fight against the treacherous French.

After fierce internal wrangling between the council and other leading boyars, the crown only sent a third of its army to Barcelona. Among the twenty thousand was the imperial retinue, largely veterans of Gleb’s wars against the rebel boyars in the past two decades. These men arrived in Hispania to discover that Barcelona was in Catholic hands while the French Prince Adrien led an invasion of the old kingdom Asturias with fifty thousand men. The stalemate was beginning to look like a Lubbid defeat.

The Russians, under the formidable general Drahoslav of Balaton, made all the difference. They quickly lifted the French occupation of Barcelona and launched an invasion of Francia’s Mediterranean coast. The prospect of a second front caused Prince Adrien to divide his forces in Asturias; this proved a crucial error when the Lubbid army attacked Adrian’s now smaller force in Alava on February 18, 1328, leading to a French rout. The French emperor led thirty thousand men against the Russians in Narbonne on September 15, 1328, winning a costly victory that proved of little strategic importance. By then the Lubbids were invading Aquitaine.

Żegota’s influence was not without controversy. A year into the Hispanian war, a clique of conservative western boyars led by Sȩdzimir II of Pomerania attempted a putsch to remove Żegota from power. As nobles in the German marches, they naturally feared an expanded war with the Catholic powers that would hit their own lands the hardest. On January 8, 1328, Sȩdzimir forced his way into Gavriil’s private quarters and helpfully ‘informed’ the Grand Patriarch that Żegota was plotting to seize the throne for himself. He might have succeeded a year earlier, but Gavriil was not a decisive man and he was hardly willing to renounce a war effort that he had himself approved. The Grand Patriarch promised to give the matter due attention, and then had an underling impress upon the High Chieftain that Żegota was not going anywhere.

Paris finally surrendered in June, 1330, as the Muslim invasion of Aquitane forced the hand of now-Emperor Adrien I. The victory proved deeply symbolic, as Asturias de Santillana was the last piece of Iberian clay in Catholic hands; but more importantly, the alliance between Kiev and Cordoba was tremendously important for the balance of power in western Europe. [1] They could between them defeat nearly any combination of Catholic powers. Perhaps even the great loss at Tours might be reversed now.

YdUXhoZ.png

Over the winter of 1330/1, Patriarch Żegota Lewicki suffered a grievous fall, breaking his left leg in four places. Żegota had lived with considerable pain due to the injuries he suffered at Czersk and in subsequent battles. He walked only with difficulty and wore a mask to conceal the grievous facial scar he had received. This final injury would be his undoing, however. Bedridden from his fall, Żegota developed pneumonia and soon passed away on January 13, 1331. His heir, Żegota II, would rule in Novgorod but there was no one who could take his place at court.

In Cordoba, Utman II ibn Utman was also dying, and power would soon devolve to his son and heir, Utman III. The younger Malik Utman quickly renewed the dynastic alliance with Kiev, marrying Gavriil’s daughter Sviatoslava in 1332; but the first years of his reign would be dedicated to securing his throne over rebellious emirs. With Żegota and Utman II both dead, pressure for foreign adventurism diminished and Gavriil’s council returned to the important business of retaking lands lost during the Time of Troubles.

To appease the anxious marcher lords, Kiev dispatched soldiers against troublesome Catholics on their western borders, retaking both Bihar and Moravia for Allah and installing well-regarded farsan to rule there. During Gavriil’s reign, the rebel kingdom of Estonia also fell back under the sway of the patriarchate. It had become diplomatically isolated after the fall of rebels in Novgorod and Lithuania, permitting nobles loyal to Kiev to take back the land piece by piece.

The largest prize of the 1330s was Mordvinia, however. For the past two generations, the steppe-Polish kingdom had been a plague on Ruthenia’s eastern frontier, as successive would-be khans led raids or fomented rebellions among their kinfolk in Crimea. This all changed in the late 1320s, when a young prince named Skarbimir Rogala fled from his homeland’s fratricidal internal politics for safety in Odessa. There he was feasted by the local patriarch, who was soon championing his cause among the court in Kiev.

For Kiev, Prince Skarbimir’s arrival could not have come at a better time. His manners seemed quaintly rustic to the sophisticated court of the Grand Patriarch [1], and the prince was charming enough to capitalize on their condescension. Soon enough, most of the court was dressing in ‘Mongol’ fashions and challenging each other to archery contests on horseback. With this swell of elite enthusiasm for Skarbimir’s cause, war with Mordvinia became a foregone conclusion.

The war itself was brief and triumphant. Skarbimir led a small group of riders into Mordvinia to rally supporters from his father’s retinue. With the defending army divided against each other, it was simplicity itself for Ruthenian armies to seize the major strongholds. The rebel king, Leszek Rogala, would be forced into exile in Mongol-dominated Transoxiana, while his victorious youngest son quickly bent the knee to Gavriil. With this, the borders of Andrzej I had been restored. [2]

QqRfVxw.png

Gavriil Glebovich is an under-studied monarch, and in a sense for good reason. He was a depressive recluse and most of the accomplishments of his reign were done on the initiative of others. The success of Ruthenia under such a weak emperor is nonetheless revealing and says much about how the empire was changing. The reforms of Gleb I had ensured that the monarch’s personal holdings were substantial enough to give his successors the men and the gold that they needed to keep the boyars at bay. Increasingly too, the Grand Patriarch and his council was supported by clerks and scribes who formed the core of a nascent bureaucracy. While far from a modern day policy-making institution, these court officials were far more sophisticated and capable of maintaining smooth operations than those in generations in past. In a sense, it was a sign of the renewed strength of the throne that Gavriil’s weakness could so easily be accommodated.

In the final years of Gavriil’s reign, power increasingly revolved around his son and heir, Prince Vasilko. While not yet the legend that you probably recall from your secondary school history books, Vasilko Gavriilovich was already being lauded for his genius before he even came of age. To some degree, courtiers were simply currying favor with their future ruler; but Vasilko was indeed different. As a boy he was enthralled by learned texts by al-Kharizmi and Davyd Godziemba, but the prince also showed a practical intelligence for warfare and administration as well as an undeniable charisma.

When Vasilko came of age in 1336, he quickly took the role of power behind the throne that Żegota Lewicki had recently held. He would soon ride off with his father’s army to retake the Duchy of Transylvania in a brief and successful holy war. While fighting with the Catholics was always fierce, the prince began to demonstrate a level of savagery that left even his courtiers uneasy. Courtiers watched as Vasilko celebrated the victory over the Christians by gleefully organizing a mass execution outside a captive monastery, and they began to wonder whether they truly wanted to see this young sadist on the throne.

By then, it was too late. Gavriil Glebovich was always a sickly man, among his other affiliations, and on April 12, 1340, he died of heart failure at the age of forty-five. Like it or not, Kiev was now in the hands of Vasilko the Bogatyr.

WxSQyJ8.png

[1] Indeed, Kiev’s reaction to Skarbimir was not dissimilar from the Abbasid reaction to the Varangian Muslims five centuries earlier.
[2] Save for the kingdom of Sweden, which few in Kiev considered to be part of the empire’s core territory. The Nordic Almohadis of Uppsala would remain independent through the medieval period, although struggles with Catholic nobles in East Francia and Norway ensured that Scandinavia remained a place of constant religious warfare.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Just as a reminder, Vasilko IV Gavriilovich is our last ruler, and he's--a doozy. Should be a fun chapter to write.

I still have the AAR bug, but I'm not quite sure what I'll want to write next. After noodling around with Imperator and Stellaris, I came up with a CK3 idea that's probably too silly for an AAR but is proving to be a lot of fun to play. (I felt bad about how the Greek culture basically got destroyed in this run so I decided to create a Greek Messalian earl in Ireland and see if I can convert the British Isles to my culture and religion, and of course being Messalians my dyntasty is getting up to a lot of not-terribly-wholesome things.)

makes sense :)

every realm had its share of times of troubles, and some are lucky enough to have a refounder just after. Gleb seems to be just that. Let's see if his heir can keep it up.

His heir was not able to but fortunately the court and those around him were able to keep the realm together.

Gleb strikes me as the inverse of Davyd, and in some senses the ruler that Davyd should have been: whereas the latter tried to escape his birthright by pursuing scholarship to the exclusion of much else, Gleb had rulership thrust upon him and applied his talents admirably. There seems little question that his reign will be seen as a high point, considering the period – although that war with Lithuania was bloody for sure.

Now, how will Gavriil's 'gentle and compassionate soul' survive on a notoriously ungentle and uncompassionate throne?

I think you're right; Gleb was certainly the best ruler that Ruthenia had had in generations and his restoration of order will go a long way to sustain his memory.

Gleb was a good ruler. He has ended the Time of Troubles.

Ruthenia is united again... for now.

And is still united! Somehow!

Gleb seems to have been a good ruler.

Indeed! I have a lot of affection for that guy.

Primogeniture! Finally! :D Gleb proved to be a great ruler. :)

I know what you mean; Ruthenia was maybe seventy or eighty years behind France and Andalusia.

Gleb was just the man needed to mend the wounds of the Time of Troubles.

And Ruthenia was fairly lucky so far with immediate successors to successful rulers. Will Gavriil continue that trend or break it? He's got a good situation to work with, at least.

It seems like Gavriil inherited a good situation and through inaction failed to screw it up too bad. Now his son--we'll have to see how he does.

• 1Like
Reactions:
When I read “legendary figure you've all read about at school”, my first thought admittedly was not sadism. But if that’s what the game has dealt us… well, it should certainly be a memorable exit. Let’s see what this kid can do with one last throw of the dice.

I am sure that this shall be an ... interesting, time to say the least.

Inaction can be a good thing if the actual regents aren't too busy infighting or preparing to. Davyd was an inactive ruler, Gavriil too.

In the former's case, his inaction was bad for his successors. But Vasilko probably won't suffer that fate. Even if he does, he may enjoy it. I foresee plenty of warfare.

I love different scenarios, so you'll have my readership should you chose to go that way. After all, I've been playing Roman Hellenics on Madeira and Icelandic vikings conquering Pagan, so I may have a preference for the weird. ;)

Well, the Catholics are humbled. That's good for Ruthenia, I guess?

I look forward to the final chapter, and also to the new AAR, whatever it might turn outto be. Your AARs are amazing! :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Grand Patriarch Vasilko IV, 1340 - 1385
Grand Patriarch Vasilko IV Bogatyr of Ruthenia

Born: 1320
Reigned: 1340 - 1385

qjcQBpU.png

Vasilko IV Gavriilovich was the first Russian monarch to hold that name in over two centuries. Two of his namesakes were legendary conquerors, with their deeds echoing throughout history. Contemporary Ruthenia was indeed built on their conquests. The third, the ill-fated Vasilko the Accursed, had been a legendary failure, who abandoned the mighty city of Tsargrad, who lost the Fifth Crusade and consigned the holy city of Jerusalem to the Christians for a hundred years, and who then died of drink in the desert. [1] As the young prince Vasilko Gavriilovich grew up and demonstrated his characteristic genius, it became an article of faith that he would be a historic figure--but for good or ill, who could say?

Nobody felt the crushing weight of this historical legacy more than the young prince himself. He was given to cruelty, even sadism, and would in his lifetime commit monstrous crimes. He was also plagued by the sense that to give into such dark desires would bring Vasilko II’s curse upon him as well. He would confide to intimates later in life that he thought there was a demon inside him, who wanted to work mischief, and that it was the monarch’s life’s work to master this demon and thus abide by the example of his ancestors.

Vasilko IV was thus a man in conflict with himself, and frequently in deep psychic turmoil. It was only on the battlefield where he could work out these internal conflicts and find a unity of purpose, where his ambition and his cruelty and his idol-worship of his ancestors fused into a single desire to crush Kiev’s enemies and build a great empire on their lands. He was, perhaps not coincidentally, at war nearly all of his reign. When Gavriil died in 1340, the new monarch had even planned a brief battle-field coronation that would not interrupt the campaigning season. It was only the united opposition of his advisors that bade him to return to Kiev for the full ceremony.

Christians spoke of a secret meeting between Utman III and Vasilko IV, where the two emperors stood over a map of Europe and decided which nations would belong to whom. This was propaganda, but there was a grain of truth to it. Both men hoped to break the power of the Catholic monarchs for good. To carry out this strategic aim, Utman III would take his armies north of the Pyrenees, and into the Italian peninsula; while Vasilko IV intended to reunite the empire as it had once been under a new pan-Slavic Islamic creed. Christianity would survive the defeats of the fourteenth century, but it was now clear that the future of Europe would be an Islamic one.

zAn3qBe.png

The invasion of Frangistan began in earnest in 1345. [2] After patiently securing alliances among his emirs, Utman III became eager for foreign conquest, and his eye fell on the French coastal lands of Languedoc. The symbolic appeal of establishing Muslim hegemony north of the Pyrenees--long the ‘natural’ border between Christendom and Dar al-Islam--was tremendous in Cordoba. Languedoc had also served as the staging ground for the Christian invasion of Barcelona, and the lands were quite prosperous as a center for Christian trade in the Mediterrean. (As we shall see, Lubbid concerns were as much about trade as about religion.)

Utman III launched his invasion of Francia on May 6, 1345. Vasilko was in the midst of a war for Uzhorod, but there was no question that Kiev would fight alongside Cordoba. Thus in early 1346, with Uzhorod safely taken, twenty thousand Russian warriors landed in the Lubbid port of Janua [3] and marched for Languedoc. The fighting was once again savage: at Montpellier in 1348, six out of ten Russians died after being enveloped by a numerically superior French force. But the weight of numbers were on the Muslim side, and Emperor Adrien could not prevent the occupation of Aquitaine. After nearly six years of brutal fighting, Francia surrendered.

Less than six months later, Utman III was at war, again with the support of Kiev. This time the target was the duchy of Provence, which would connect Janua with the Lubbid lands in Frangistan. King Renaud of Sardinia was a shrewd commander who forced several early reversals at Castellane (May 1352) and Draguignan (October 1352), but Sardinia was outnumbered more severely than France. At the battle of Grasse (November 23), over a hundred thousand Muslim soldiers faced against a Sardinian army less than half their size. When the sun set, twenty-two thousand Catholics lay dead on the field of battle, a staggering loss from which Renaud could not recover.

Kiev would spent the next quarter-century focused on Vasilko’s own prodigious appetite for conquest, but in 1379, Utman III would again call on his old ally to cross swords with Francia. Catholic rebels with Frangistan had been a constant irritant for Cordoba in the past decade, and the great Malik al-Muazzam became convinced that Paris was responsible for supporting them. To punish Adrien, he launched a punitive war for the duchy of Viennois in northern France. The conquest took three years, but Paris could offer little serious resistance. By the end it was plain that the once great Catholic power had been broken by repeated losses to the Muslim alliance. Francia would remain independent until the fifteenth century, but it could afford no more ambitions for hegemony.

It is worth mentioning the most famous conquest of the Cordoba-Kiev alliance, although it takes us a bit beyond the scope of Vasilko’s life. In retaliation for the Seventh Crusade, Utman III declared a war to subjugate the most powerful remaining potentate in Christendom: Pope Callistus III. The Hispanian invasion of Romagna is remembered for the heroism of the papal armies; fighting in defense, they frequently bested armies twice their size by using their superior knowledge of the local landscape to their advantage. Tsar Andrei, who had complacently dispatched a small retinue to support the Lubbids, was obliged to call up his boyars and dedicate time and treasure to the conquest.

In the end, however, Rome’s defenses were little match for the siege weapons of Kiev and Cordoba, and soon enough Callistus was in Muslim captivity. His Holiness was taken in chains to Cordoba, where he was forced to kneel in submission to the Malik al-Muazzam. Henceforth, the papacy--once one of the most powerful monarchies in Christendom--would rule little more than Vaticano itself. Romagna would be ruled by a Muslim sultan of Rum, who swore allegiance to Cordoba.

The humiliation of Callistus III was a moment of profound importance. For Christians it signaled the triumph of Muslim hegemony in Europe; exiles from Italy would flee to Christian courts in Trøndelag, Paris, and Dover to spread horrifying tales of Muslim rule. Among the Muslims, the victory would prove ultimately ambiguous. Already in the final years of Vasilko IV’s reign, many in Kiev would wonder if the decline of Francia made the Lubbid alliance irrelevant. The conquest of Romagna only made these voices louder: after the blood and treasure sacrificed for Rum, Kiev gained little except a powerful rival on their southwestern border. The great alliance that defined the fourteenth century was soon to fall, as younger generations saw Cordoba as a rival rather than a friend.

tiFdahn.png

The great accomplishment of Vasilko’s reign was not in France, but at home. As noted, the Grand Patriarch was nearly always at war in his quest to reunite the lands of Vasilko III and Yuriy I. Early on, many of these conquests were small, against the minor lords of Liptov or Uzhorod. When the Catholic duke of Nitra fell under the sway of the Holy See, Vasilko fought a bloody war with Rome from 1354 to 1359 to regain the land.

In 1360, Vasilko launched his first war against Thessalonika. Saloniki kings had proclaimed themselves ‘protectors’ of the Slovien Muslims two centuries earlier, and on this basis had extended their rule into the former kingdom of Serbia. Tsargrad was the most powerful of the Oskyldr successor kingdoms, and perhaps for that reason, Vasilko’s prosecution of the war was particularly brutal. Twenty thousand Saloniki were slaughtered in Bithynia on May 16, 1361, and countless more died during the sack of Tsargrad in 1362. On January 27, 1363, Fedot II Ingvarovich surrendered rather than face more ruinous losses.

With Fedot’s surrender, Vasilko began to make war in Germany. He took Steyermark from Sunni Bavaria in 1365, Wolkenstein in 1366, and Meissen in 1367. Parts of Pomerania had fallen under the sway of Catholic East Francia, and so Vasilko IV pronounced jihad against the Karlings. At Naumburg in 1367, six thousand East Francians fell before the Russian sword, and at least a thousand after they had been taken prisoner. When King Hupold surrendered, Vasilko claimed the Catholic kingdom of Croatia: the slaughter at Ljubljana would put Naumburg to shame, but King Dobromir would fall to the Russians on March 25, 1369 and Vasilko would claim another great triumph for Kiev and for Islam. Then he was marching back to Germany, to claim Mecklenburg from Lotharingia.

The pace of warfare was brutal even for the victorious Ruthenian army. Peasant recruits were called up every season, and forced to march hundreds of miles. The fighting was savage but for many the atrocities that inevitably followed were worse. Average men returned to their homes having witnessed, and perhaps participated, in brutal slaughter, and believing themselves to be forever changed. For the professional imperial retinue, however, the constant stream of conquest was liberating. Many began to see themselves as a warrior elite, free of the laws of Allah or man by their holy mission of conquest.

With Mecklenburg taken from Lotharingia, Vasilko declared his second war against Thessalonika. The battles were dreadful affairs; only three Saloniki survived in Tsargrad on April 21, only two at Nikomedia the following month. All told, thirty-four thousand Saloniki soldiers died in the year of 1372, not including those who died in the second sacking of their capital. Fedot II surrendered (again) in the winter of 1374/5, and spent the rest of his days in his palace a broken man. Vasilko scarcely noticed; he was already planning his next campaign for Nordmark in Lotharingia.

GN9jPFJ.png

With the seizure of Nordmark in 1378, Vasilko IV finally paused the pace of warfare to return to Kiev. In a lavish ceremony in Kiev, he marked the successful retaking of Vasilko III’s empire by declaring himself father to all Slavic peoples [4]. He crowned himself Tsar Vasilko I of the Empire of Slavia, which spanned from Berlin to the Urals and commanded nearly two hundred fifty thousand warriors. By then, the common folk had begun to call him Vasilko Bogatyr. The bogatyrs were figured from Rus’ legend, heroes of great renown and battle prowess, who fought dragons, trolls, and Christians with courage. To them, Vasilko had achieved the greatness that he had sought his entire life.

There were many in Ruthenia who could not see heroism in Vasilko. Many peasant soldiers returned home to their farms plagued by invisible wounds from the atrocities committed during his wars of conquests. The courtiers knew him to be erratic and paranoid, driven by conflicting urges: expelling all from his court one day and welcoming them back on another. He had a popular young noblewoman, Tatyana Vysheslavich, executed on charges of cannibalism, which outraged the court. In 1371, his daughter Liubava died under mysterious circumstances; while her husband Abdul-Lateef was accused of the crime, many scholars now believe that Vasilko himself was responsible as part of a failed blackmail scheme.

The establishment of Slavia would not quell Vasilko’s troubled mind. He was still plagued by doubts about the demon that he believed lived inside of him; even when he was--by far--the most powerful ruler in the known world, the Grand Patriarch was convinced that greatness was just out of reach. He would spend the final years of his life in intense physical pain, plagued by the cancer that--he was convinced--had been a punishment for his many sins.

On November 15, 1385, Vasilko IV finally succumbed to the cancer. He had entered the pantheon of great conquerors. The empire of Slavia that he as much as anybody had forged would be a formidable force throughout the early modern era. He is ever-controversial (among Muslim scholars, that is; Christian writers are quite clear on how they feel about him), but the Bogatyr is remembered fondly by everyday Russians even now.

Challenges for Slavia lay ahead. The unity of Dar al-Islam would not survive the fifteenth century. With the Christians in decline, Sunnis in Cordoba, Kiev, and Quhariyah were finding that seemingly minor doctrinal differences loomed larger than they had in the past. In 1462, Kiev would celebrate the fall of the Lubbid empire, which was by then a hated rival; little did they expect that the taifas on the Atlantic coast would be even more powerful, drawing on the riches of a continent halfway across the world.

Slavia would make its own efforts at colonization, expanding inexorably past the Urals and into the steppes beyond. Kiev would sponsor these efforts, but the colonists were largely Polish-speakers from Mordvinia and Odessa. The steppe-Polish would be Stefan Godziemba’s most enduring legacy, and the dream of an eastern steppe empire would endure among the colonists. The split between a multilingual cosmopolitan west and a conservative, Polish-speaking east grew more profound every year, as the united Slavic people proved not so united after all.

Every year, I have students who knew the Slavic Empire as the ‘sick man of Europe.’ They see every rebellion or civil war as the mark of an irreversible decline. (One popular history book traces the decline of Kiev as far back as the revolt of the farsan in the twelfth century!) Hopefully I’ve successfully challenged that viewpoint. The story of Kiev has always been of triumph and tragedy, of great achievement and human suffering. Nothing is inevitable, everything is contested.

Slavia, at its founding

[1] As we have seen, this assessment is unfair to Vasilko II; and yet it was how learned fourteenth century Russians saw him.
[2] While Frangistan had once served as a word for European Christian nations as a whole, over the course of the fourteenth and fifteenth century it increasingly became the name for Muslim-ruled lands in the ‘land of the Franks’, i.e., medieval Francia.
[3] Formerly Genoa.
[4] The Saloniki spoke a language that was descended from Russian, although it included many Greek loan words; but they were considered, by Russians and themselves, to be a hybrid culture, as Greek as they were Slavic.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
So here we are! This was a bit later than I wanted; for that, I blame a combination of my lovely girlfriend and the game Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, both of which have been very distracting in the past couple of weeks. Thanks to everybody who read and offered comments along the way, that made the act of writing really satisfying.

When I read “legendary figure you've all read about at school”, my first thought admittedly was not sadism. But if that’s what the game has dealt us… well, it should certainly be a memorable exit. Let’s see what this kid can do with one last throw of the dice.

The kid made history, for sure, but shed a lot of blood along the way.

I am sure that this shall be an ... interesting, time to say the least.

Never a dull moment with Vasilko IV, that's for sure.

Inaction can be a good thing if the actual regents aren't too busy infighting or preparing to. Davyd was an inactive ruler, Gavriil too.

In the former's case, his inaction was bad for his successors. But Vasilko probably won't suffer that fate. Even if he does, he may enjoy it. I foresee plenty of warfare.

You foresaw correctly! I don't think I was at peace for more than a year or two this entire time.

Well, the Catholics are humbled. That's good for Ruthenia, I guess?

It was very good for Ruthenia's ability to project power; and the Catholics had a lot of humbling left to come too.

I look forward to the final chapter, and also to the new AAR, whatever it might turn outto be. Your AARs are amazing! :D

Thanks, Nikolai! I read every chapter of yours as they come out too.

Slavia is formed... That's one space-filling empire.

Islam has triumphed... for now. That sick man of Europe line is ominous.

So here we are! This was a bit later than I wanted; for that, I blame a combination of my lovely girlfriend and the game Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, both of which have been very distracting in the past couple of weeks. Thanks to everybody who read and offered comments along the way, that made the act of writing really satisfying.
Ending on a high note, with Vasilko IV founding the Empire of Slavia. Many ups and downs that made for a fascinating story. Congrats for that and finishing!

Understandable distractions, too ;).

Those Steppe-Poles make me remember fondly a succession game I was involved in that had "Sand Poles" in it. With both these Steppe-Poles and the actual Poles, the Russians lived in a Polish sandwich within the Empire :p.

Congrats with Slavia! The future of Europe belongs to Islam now.

Wow, he was both a Shakespearean and a Faulknerian character at once!

And so the story is completed, and what a ride it was! :D

A tortured soul who could only find a brief respite by inflicting his pain on others. Vasilko IV will undoubtedly be remembered as a strong ruler and a great conqueror, but I have to wonder if he'll truly be regarded as a "great man" in any sense aside from the historical.

Nicely done! :D

An absolutely delightful story. Thanks for sharing!

So we go out on a triumphant note, but not without the heavy qualifications offered by the historical view. All in all, sounds about right. Vasilko was a fascinating character to end things with, and I have no doubt his legacy will continue to be contested down the centuries in this world. Slavia sounds as much of a curse as a blessing for the Rus’.

Congratulations on reaching your end, and bravo on a job well done. Looking forward to whatever you choose to do next!

Just read through this whole thing over the past few days - a truly marvellous tale, and I eagerly look forward to whatever is coming next!