• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Treatise on the Byzantine Empire

Hello all,

Sorry for the non-update. I was busy last weekend, and I'm afraid I'm going off to Taiwan for 3 weeks starting this sunday night, so this is necessarily going to be on hold for a while. As recompense for last weekend, I offer this treatise on the Byzantine Empire which I've been writing...

A Treatise on the Byzantine Empire

In brief, this summarises -at a strategic level- the key points of note regarding the Byzantines and analyses the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of the Byzantine Empire in the following categories: Military, Economics, Religion & Culture. This can also be applied, with some changes, to any other country in the Balkan-Anatolian region.

Position:
Strategically position between the Oriental and Occidental, Muslim and Christian as well as the waters of the Mediterranean, it is well positioned to exploit any oportunities that present themselves.

Military:
Decent manpower, sufficient to stand up to any medium or similar sized country once the Balkans are secured. Mix of Eastern and Western units to choose from if one has both European and Eastern provinces. This is particularly important for the superior eastern cavalry in the early ages.

Terrain:
The Sea of Marmara is a potent strategic crossroads. This implies that control over the sea with a navy must be present to use this crossroad and prevent it from being used against you. This control has the effect of preventing any enemy movement East and West on land or North and South on sea. This would limit the extent of loss in the event of losing a war.

The Anatolian peninsular is a small and contained theatre of operations. Mountains in general suitable to infantry.

The Balkans is a wider theatre, contained to the north by the River Danube, open to the northwest along the Adriatic coast. Mostly mountainous, good for infantry.

Italy is small and narrow theatre and has a mix of plains and mountains. Exposed to amphibious landings. It is richer and more built up in the north, less so in the south.

Egypt & Levant are poor to average provinces (although the Egyptian heartlands are richer) and composed mostly of deserts. They are large theatres, unbounded and open, suitable to cavalry.

Economics:
Thrace is a good medium sized COT. The Balkans are medium to poor in value, the various Mediterranean islands of medium value and also affected by overseas penalty. Anatolian peninsular medium to poor value. Italy and Egypt are good targets for expasion. Trade is essential to being a first rate earner.

Culture & Relogion:
Orthodox Christianity present in the Balkans, the Eastern Mediterranean islands and Russia. This encourages expansion in the Balkans and tolerance towards a good number of religions (Orthodox Christianity, Catholic Christianity, and Sunni Islam). Conversions are important to long term consolidation in terms of stability and income. Our cultural group is small, and neighbouring cultures are too fragmented to be accepted, except for the Turks. The different culture income penalty will have to be accepted.

Foreign affairs:
The Ottomans are the biggest initial menace, but are unlikely to recover after a heavy series of defeats due to a low income. Poland and Lithuuania are the main rivals to the North, whils Venice, Austria, Hungary and France are the main rivals to the West. Minors are plentiful in the surrounding areas, providing good opportunities for expansion in the initial era.

@crusaderknight
If you don't mind my asking, though, why do some of your Emperors have Italian names (such as Bartolomeo and Antonio?)

I think I drew the list possible names for the country from some Greek as well as Italian names. Having Italian Emperors wouldn't be impossible in terms of plausibility, so I don't mind.​

@Minarchist
Am I the only one that is thinking

Inflation!?

Nice job and great AAR

Aha! You're the first to spot what is and has been a perennial problem since. At this point of time, I had not yet taken the National bank idea, but I took it soon after, but am unable to drop the inflation rate because there seems to be an endless list of stuff that needs money. But be assured, my incomes have increased together with inflation and I don't feel the bite, although I would like to get rid of it in the future.​

@basharious
That's exciting. I see that you might be having some problems with manpower & inflation. How's that going?
Excellent update.

And there's the other problem. My manpower has been barely enough to sustain my wars. But I have been successful so far, so it is not a major worry.​

@Grubnessul
Nice job, now the middle east and Egypt!
@rcduggan
And the Crimea, Africa, Italy, and Spain!

Oh yes, I'll get into those areas sooner or later... Fret not ;)

@Fijj
Ya, thats gonna bite him in the ass when he has to take Russia.

Why would I have to take on Russia? Does it not enlarge my borders beyond defensibility? Why, the only reason why I would have to go there would be because of unwarranted attacks on my country, would it not? After all, the thought of Byzantine troops in Sweden or Norway would be quite funny, would it not? ;)

Anyway, inflation is always biting on a country regardless of where it goes.​

Tritio said:
@Fijj
Ya, thats gonna bite him in the ass when he has to take Russia.

Why would I have to take on Russia? Does it not enlarge my borders beyond defensibility? Why, the only reason why I would have to go there would be because of unwarranted attacks on my country, would it not? After all, the thought of Byzantine troops in Sweden or Norway would be quite funny, would it not? ;)

Anyway, inflation is always biting on a country regardless of where it goes.​

Russia is Orthodox, and you have to unite the Orthodox Chruches! :D

Enewald said:
3 weeks of pain for us poor readaars of this aar... :confused:
Unfair! :(

But I am strong and will manage it... :)
.... hopefully....
What do you mean? :confused:

Once you move further into Anatolia conversions will be a part of your budget for quite a while; definitely worth it in the long term but it certainly won't help having any effort to get the budget or inflation under control to have that big added expense.

At this point it seems the OE is decidedly weaker compared to the Byzantines... I'd concentrate on conversions and fighting inflation for a bit, and pick them off at your leisure.

Enewald said:
Oh man, I didn't see that. That stinks... can't wait for it to come back.

Well, the early fights needed lots of money, especially if you are a Byzantium waging war on OE. I suspected high inflation will occur during the expansion. But 11% is still very nice for a country building from her ashes. From now on, wars must be picked very carefully not to be forced to mint more money.

Biggest historical issue I see is that the Byzantines would not have been tolerant towards Islam or Latin Christianity, there was too much bad blood. Most avoided the Hagia Sophia until the siege itself began, so much did they hate it for being tainted with Latin Rites during Constantine XI's desperate (and ultimately ineffectual) hold on the Union of Florence.

This is really one of my fondest historical dreams, but in order for this to have happened, the last real chance would have been to have avoided ever having had the Angeli on the throne in the years leading up to the 4th Crusade. :\

yechezkiel said:
Biggest historical issue I see is that the Byzantines would not have been tolerant towards Islam or Latin Christianity, there was too much bad blood. Most avoided the Hagia Sophia until the siege itself began, so much did they hate it for being tainted with Latin Rites during Constantine XI's desperate (and ultimately ineffectual) hold on the Union of Florence.

This is really one of my fondest historical dreams, but in order for this to have happened, the last real chance would have been to have avoided ever having had the Angeli on the throne in the years leading up to the 4th Crusade. :\
The last REAL chance for a great Byzantium was Manzikert... but let's not get into that discussion. I think it would have been possible for the Byzantines to tolerate the Muslims, they would have to in order to survive.

i want to believe that byzantium had many chances to survive and maybe even thrive after Mantzikert ( although i agree that itself it was the most realistic chance ). Unfortunately a series of *useless* emperors kept coming after 1204 and thus lead to a deeper economic depression. What im trying to say is, that even 1 or 2 effective leaders could have changed history. When speaking about that era 50 years seem so little, but in fact they are so many and many things can happen between them.

The doctrine of sole national faith would certainly be a problem, but like the Russians learned to manipulate the different-religion populations to align them to the Tsars, the Greeks could too, and perhaps better if they had good leaders.

-----

Looking forward to the continuation of this.