• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, England may be a tough nut to crack, but Burgundy is my favorite. Here's hoping for the crown of Lothar down the line and a suitable husband for Mary who isn't Maximilian (I'm found of the Pfalzgraf myself).... :)

Well that's frightening. Does England get cores on all that? They could raise some enormous armies. What are the chances of an alliance with...anybody? Castille? Aragon? That's a tough position...no other superpowers (Austria, Spain, ...)

I have to admit this surprised me! England owning most of France.:eek: It's going to be interesting to see how you force them off the continent. ;)

Joe

Formula51: It have cores on most of France (all its French territories + some of mines), and accept French culture.

Enewald: This is the question; I'm contemplating several options right now.

Scorpi: This crown can still be claimed, however I have to decide if I want it or not (doing so would remove the possibility of ever becoming France in the future).

matt12th: England's BB is indeed hight, but they have no direct threats: they vassalized Scotland and what is left of Ireland, and I'm still their ally (and I try to keep it that way until I become strong enough).

Drake Rlugia: As I'll explain later, I have four main possibilities.

GregoryTheBruce: They do, and they are building up at a scary pace too. And as you said there is no potential ally yet.

Storey: I don't know what to do yet, and I'll need everybody's opinion regarding the matter.

This is a 'Three of possibilities' that are still open to Burgundy. By accepting the Lotharingian Crown, I forever loose the possibility of being crowned king of France. By accepting a non-Habsburg or non-French heir, I loose the French culture and thus half of my provinces become non-accepted culture (and I lose the potential French culture & cores that could allow me to throw the English outside of the continent).

So, in short, either I confront the English about the crown of France, or I leave them have it and focus on becoming something else, either the H.R.E. or Spain.

nouveauimagebitmapp.png
In abreviations, potential cultures and core areas between brackets ().

I'd like everyone's opinion regarding the future of Burgundy, as I am facing a 'Lotharingia' event and will not continue before having received your vote regarding the question.

Keep in mind that by becoming eitheir France or Spain, I'll get their to build their colonial empires. But I'll have much easier time keeping the Burgundian lands as France.

Last edited:
I vote Lotharingia with the Palatinate, the England/France thing is too cool to mess with until later in the game.

I agree! The Palatinate would be a bigger challenge so go for it.;)

Joe

Become Lotharingia, and move your capital to Aachen! Charlemagne commands you to do it!

Screw the French, they deserve no better than be ruled by English overlords :p
Let them fuse the worst of both countries... French arrogance and English cuisine, bad weather and lazy workers, who cares! BTW if this is still the same event chain that I had when I played AGC-EEP or whatever the EU2 mod was called, then England will soon get really nasty revolt events that ought to lock them down stomping revolts for many years.

I admit I do not know the specific steps to go through but you got to go for Lotharingia if you can.

III - Philip's Lotharingians Ambitions

The English domination of France prevented any further expension westward for duke Philip, and he tried to keep decent relations with his new neighbor. He instead went for a policy to expend his demesne in Germany, where the fragmentation of the Holy Roman Empire allowed him to make easy gains. Luxembourg was gained trough a diplomatical deal, but Alsace was brought under Burgundian authority by the sword.

expend.png

The new expension of his Duchy toward the Rhine made Philip reconsider the historical legacy of the demesne he was now ruling over; he asked th Emperor for the recreation of the crown of Lotharingia, a title wich would legitimate his independence toward the kingdom of England and France. The first demand for the crown was refused, mostly because of his belligerant actions in Alsace. From the first refusal in 1447, Philip changed his foreign policies entirely: he improved his relations with the Habsburgs and begined to gather an impressive ammount of money. With no large armies to feed and no military campaigns going on, the economy of Burgundy was delivering impressives ammountsof whealt.

Duke Philip waited for fifteen years before making a new demand, consolidating his diplomatical position and his treasury. The Emperor then reconsiderated his position, and tough that a powerfull Burgundy would make a great ally and oppose the Anglo-French wich were an evenr bigger menace to the balance of power. In late 1463, Philip's second demand was accepted.

lotharingia.png

With the retreival of the old lotharingian crown burried under hundred years of dust, Burgundy's authority was now incontestable in western Europe. Philip's last action was to integrate Lorraine into his new kingdom, as it alway was the center of the Lotharingian (its own name, Lorraine, was descending from Lothringen, the German name of Lotharingia) realm.

The aging king died after two more years of peace, having constructed a real empire out of his small duchy. His son, Charles the First, had similar ambitions for Lotharingia; already, he was gathering his troops to the conquest of what he beleived was his by right: both banks of the Rhine.

charlesthebold.png

Sweet! That was nice to see. Now you are a King just like England and France and better off than all those German princes. ;)

Sweet! That was nice to see. Now you are a King just like England and France and better off than all those German princes. ;)

I'm not sureif this ancient kingdom will survive for long. I have the ambition of turning it into something much, MUCH bigger. :)

Congrats on becoming King! I love to see Lotharingia in an EU game. I always wondered how things might have been if Burgundy had survived and become a kingdom.

I'm not sureif this ancient kingdom will survive for long. I have the ambition of turning it into something much, MUCH bigger. :)
Can you not stay Lotharingia and still become HRE? Seems like an ancient kingdom coming back and taking the crown is a bit cooler than becoming something like Germany or France. ;)

Like I said, I don't know how these event trains really play out. :D