• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great work. You have made Brunswick a great power in a very short time. :cool:

I expect that near future will be even smoother, unless you manage to end up in war against several other great powers at the same time. ;)

Chapter 4: A Sign in Scarlet (well, Burgundy, anyways)

Stuff Happens

EU3_320.jpg

Karl: I thought I ordered this stricken from the Imperial archives?

EU3_321.jpg

St. Francesca of Hannover was a noted healer who cured 1000 pilgrims of their gout, showing the Empire the true path to salvation.

EU3_322.jpg

Karl wasn't quite sure what the attraction was in Warmia, but had nothing against raking in more ducats.

EU3_323.jpg

Following this most recent court incident, Karl made inquiries to see if Baldassare Castiglione would be willing to come up to Brunswick, to which he replied in the negative.

Scarlet Fever

EU3_324.jpg

"Sire, the Burgundians have invaded Liege!"

"Send the army. Tell them not to intervene until after Liege is annexed."

"But your honour..."

"And ensure no one else hears about that. Wouldn't want my reputation to be tarnished."

"But your honour, the French are also protecting Liege."

"What?"

EU3_325.jpg

"Remind me why someone in Burgundy thought this was a good idea. How are the French doing?"

EU3_326.jpg

"I see. So if they have 60,000 men in Iberia, I suppose they will not be sending any help?"

"Actually, they've already beaten us to much of Burgundy."

EU3_327.jpg

"Alright: get what you can, and most certainly get Liege after it falls."

EU3_329.jpg

EU3_330.jpg

I hate it when the French beat me to the punch.

EU3_332.jpg

The war in Burgundy was not easy, particularly after the French ditched the Empire and freed Luxembourg, which Karl had designs on.

EU3_335.jpg

EU3_336.jpg

It was a risk to free the Neverese, as the French would most certainly take them out at the first opportunity--but who else could Karl release from the Burgundians?

Men of Science

EU3_331.jpg

Nathan the Prophet walked in.

"Your honour, the church will not tolerate another insult as last time when you preserved the life of Leonardo Bruni--this man must die and all his works burned."

"As you will have it."

EU3_333.jpg

In late 1435, Heinrich Wassman graduated with a degree in Advanced Sciences, and Karl Wilhelm took the opportunity to add him to the staff.

EU3_341.jpg

The Lombardians, however, were incensed that Joachim Eskeroth, the previous adviser, was fired to make room for Wassman, as Wassman had taken particular care in his work over the province of Treviso. For reasons not yet known, Emperor Karl thought that he could take the 17 regiments of troops. Apparently Karl thought the Lombardians would ravage the countryside of neighbouring states, and was disappointed when they stayed in Treviso.

EU3_344.jpg

Wassman proved his value soon enough, Lombardian revolt aside.

Fool Me Once, Shame On You; Fool Me Twice...

EU3_339.jpg

"Not happening. Kill them all!!!"

And so the armies of Brunswick invaded Denmark. Sadly, Viking ships blocked the passage to Copenhagen, so as much as Karl wished to free Hamburg, Karl had to be content with this peace:

EU3_343.jpg

You Knew This Was Coming

But the real reason Karl peaced out so quickly can be found in the lower left corner of the previous picture.

EU3_345.jpg

When Karl accepted the alliance with England, he knew that war with France was now just an inevitability. He expected to have five years of peace, as England had just truced out. But now that war with France was now a reality, he felt far less prepared than he thought he would.

EU3_346.jpg

Brunswick has 32,000 men. Which means England has 20,000 or fewer. And noting by the rebels seen at the top of the screen, they probably won't be capable of helping much.

Worse still, England is the alliance leader. Meaning that they'll be sure to peace out the moment I have anything of value from the French.

Karl ordered his troops to prepare for the worst.

Last edited:
France seems to be becoming real pain in the Imperial bottom.

You're in bad position, so minimal participation doctrine might be advisable. Take what you can without sacrificing your resources and let England fight it's own wars.

Sadly, tomorrow I am leaving to do what most people do over Christmas--visit their family. Meaning that I'll be away from my computer that has EUIII on it. This AAR will thus be on hiatus for the next 3-4 weeks. But have no fear! Brunswick will live on!

As for the French war, I'm hoping Luxembourg joined in the fun, so I can vassalize them. Other than that, I have little hopes for the French war, besides releasing Champagne if I get really, really lucky.

Chapter 5: The Hundred Years War and other stories...

The Hundred Years War

EU3_346.jpg

Things did not look good for the Kingdom of Brunswick. 12,000 cavalry were ordered, due to be ready in half a year's time.

EU3_348.jpg

Over 20,000 French troops were already either besieging Calais or headed to it, while the English had a large rebel army to deal with at the home front.

EU3_350.jpg

The armies of Brunswick, on the other hand, were still walking home from their most recent invasion of Denmark.

EU3_351.jpg

And, well, dealing with their own rebel menace.

EU3_352.jpg

Julius Ickelrath, son of the first Ickelrath general, was promoted to chief of production, and was tasked with mobilizing the population for war production. (Which, in the 15th century, didn't amount to much.)

EU3_353.jpg

The French annexed Hainaut before anyone could blink an eye, and quickly overran the Brunswickian garrisons in the lowlands.

EU3_354.jpg

But the real surprise was a daring attack on Italian Brunswick, made by some Provencal regulars and a French army in Bavaria to support them.

EU3_356.jpg

Though the situation looked bad, the French suffered casualties while marching across the Alps, and the army situation was now equal.

EU3_357.jpg

The Kingdom, now aware of French battle strategy, fought back on both fronts at the same time.

EU3_358.jpg

In the north, a bitter defeat was dealt to the defenders, as their quick-strike team was caught unprepared.

EU3_359.jpg

EU3_360.jpg

But in the south, Brunswick scored a major victory, that turned the tide of the war.

EU3_362.jpg

The Brunswickians were shocked to see the French begin to retreat from the forts they held in the Netherlands.

EU3_363.jpg

The analysis seemed to suggest that the French had wasted their advantage they held earlier in the war, with only little gain to show for it.

EU3_364.jpg

But the real reason was the opening of a new front--Brittany had saved the Kingdom from the French armies.

EU3_365.jpg

The armies of Brunswick mopped up the few scattered French armies that remained...

EU3_366.jpg

Lifting the sieges on Brabant and Limburg...

EU3_367.jpg

And even managing to advance into French territory, even assaulting the capital Paris herself, though the capital survived.

EU3_368.jpg

Brittany paid a steep price for challenging the armies of France, but all of England and Brunswick were grateful that she did, and hoped to repay that debt one day.

EU3_369.jpg

France's armies launched a desperate counterattack on the alien invaders...

EU3_370.jpg

But the lull in the fighting allowed England to land her first significant army on the continent. The combined might of the English/German armies matched the size the French could field in their own country.

EU3_371.jpg

Or perhaps other circumstances would decide otherwise?

EU3_372.jpg

The (obvious) decision was made to defend Utrecht, but only after the French were dealt with. Not an army could be spared with the French as enemy.

EU3_373.jpg

The French offered a white peace, but too much blood had been shed for that. Hainaut, Morbihan, and Finistere had been conquered by the French during the course of this war--the French would have to pay for their conquests.

EU3_374.jpg

The French readily accepted the loss of Hainaut and focused their resources on the English. Though Karl felt he could have pressed the advantage, the danger lay in the thought that the English, the alliance leaders, could easily call a white peace at any time, and so he felt the need to make the French pay something while he still could.

EU3_375.jpg

Castille was mightily impressed by how the Brunswickians had held their own against France. (In truth, it was the mountains of the Alps that had defended the nation, where God smashed the enemy on the rocks.)

EU3_377.jpg

God displayed his power in sending a meteor to commemorate his victory. But the sinful peasants misinterpreted the sign, and rebelled. So ends every earthly tale--in sin.

The Invasion of Gotland, part II

EU3_378.jpg

"Oh, we were at war? When did that happen?"

"The Danes, who allied with the Gotlanders, invaded Sweden while we were busy with the French."

"Fancy that. The Danes being useful. Well, we cannot allow the Danes to gain anything from this war. Offer the Swedes a White Peace."

"Yes, your honour."

A Dutch Peace

EU3_379.jpg

King Karl I Wilhelm ordered the peace treaty sent back to the Dutch with cow's dung smeared all over it. His servants misinterpreted the King's words, and smeared the messengers instead.

EU3_379.jpg

The Dutch, faced with no other alternative, annexed the Bishopric of Utrecht, just as Karl had planned. The Pope was furious, and ordered Karl to free Utrecht. This Karl had no problem doing.

EU3_382.jpg

The armies of the Holy Roman Emperor performed admirably, and the Dutch soon admitted total defeat.

EU3_383.jpg

With the dawn of peace, the King and Archbishops of Hainaut and Utrecht were freed from prison, and were restored to their thrones, as Dukes loyal to the Kingdom of Brunswick.

Last edited:
Chapter 5: The Hundred Years War and other stories

Friedrich August Talken

EU3_381.jpg

At this point in the tale, Friedrich August Talken died, after serving the Kings of Brunswick for over 42 years. He was accorded a grand state funeral and buried on the same Cathedral grounds that the kings were buried on.

EU3_381a.jpg

His greatest accomplishment can be seen in the fact that every COT known to man had five Brunswickian merchants trading there. Karl Theodor Hillensburg was commissioned to write a requiem mass for Talken.

The Peasants are Revolting

EU3_387.jpg

EU3_388.jpg

"Why must peasants always be so revolting?"

"My liege, might I suggest having them bathed and perfumed before I bring the next one in?"

"You should have been doing that already!"

"My apologies, Karl."

"What is my name?"

"My liege, I'm terribly sorry..."

"Guards! Off with his head!"

"But... my liege... my king... I have a family!"

[slice]

"You do not. Liar."

Trier, at last

EU3_389.jpg

EU3_392.jpg

EU3_393.jpg

Court Historian: "My Lord, it says here in the official records that your entire family has had a fascination with attacking Trier. Can you give me an essay as to why you finally invaded Trier now?"

Karl I Wilhelm: "I don't know. I felt it in my veins."

Court Historian: "That's it? You felt it in your veins??? THAT is pretext for going to war?"

Karl I Wilhelm: "Do you want your head cut off too?"

Court Historian: "You are very just, King. The Archbishop of Trier deserves what is coming to him."

Karl I Wilhelm: "You may now go."

Court Historian: "One more question, if I may..."

Karl I Wilhelm: "You may go."

[Guards approach]

Court Historian: "As you wish, your majesty."

EU3_394.jpg

[Messenger approaches]

"My Lord!"

[bows]

"The nobles have vetoed your decision to release Hesse from vassalship!"

"They can't do that!!!"

"Well, they just did."

"So that means Hesse can't conquer Koblenz for themselves?"

EU3_396.jpg

"That does, Lord Emperor."

"I like you. Take the forest out back and become a knight."

"Thank you, Lord Emperor."

"Your knighting ceremony is in two weeks at the full moon. Don't be late."

"Thank you! Thank you!"

[Leaves]

"Now, what am I to do about Koblenz?"

EU3_397.jpg

Karl I Wilhelm thus took Koblenz for himself, though he looked quite unhappy doing so. Trier became a vassal, resulting in a visit from Nathan the Prophet.

EU3_397.jpg

"Ah! Now I remember why I wished to invade Trier!"

One Down, Four to Go

EU3_399.jpg

Nathan the Prophet quickly informed Karl of his next task, then left quickly. It was a simple task, so Karl had no complaints.

EU3_395.jpg

An alliance was accepted with Lithuania. Karl was not comfortable with the Duke of Hesse as his only ally, so when Lithuania generously offered the alliance, King Wilhelm accepted.

EU3_400.jpg

Ansbach was the next kingdom to fall.

EU3_402.jpg

This left three more in the alliance that had come together to overthrow him.

EU3_403.jpg

Unlike Lithuania's offer a few years earlier, Brunswick had little desire to get involved in numerous Ottoman wars, and thus let the Hungarians leave empty-handed.

The King is Dead: Long Live the King!

EU3_405.jpg

Karl I Wilhelm thus came to rest in 1443. His son Frederick Wilhelm the First was unfortunately not an intelligent man.

EU3_406.jpg

This resulted in the first time in over 30 years that the throne of the Holy Roman Emperor left the Kingdom of Brunswick. Frederick vowed to regain the throne as quickly as possible.

The End of the War

But as for now, there was a war going on.

EU3_407.jpg

Bavaria fell soon after. As soon as Bavaria fell, Mantua tried to get out of the war by offering this peace.

EU3_408.jpg

Frederick proved he was no idiot by rejecting the peace deal.

EU3_410.jpg

To the dismay of the nobles, he did however accept a petition by a peasant. This was blamed on the King's having been dropped on his head as a child, and the nobles waited patiently for the day of Frederick's death.

EU3_414.jpg

Mantua was invaded within a few months, and agreed to become a vassal to King Frederick.

EU3_416.jpg

With three electors now as Frederick's vassals, two gained in this war, he was now assured of victory when Alexander Sigmund of the Palatinate died.

EU3_413.jpg

This left Austria to deal with. Frederick determined that Austria would not get off easy.

EU3_412.jpg

The war against Austria had a few more speed bumps than Frederick had planned for, as the scene painted above was repeated over and over again. But before long, the Brunswickians had the Austrians on their heels.

EU3_417.jpg

The Austrians rejected the first peace deal, so the armies of Brunswick were forced to raze some farms around Vienna to restore some sense into the Austrian monarch.

EU3_418.jpg

EU3_420.jpg

EU3_421.jpg

And thus the Kingdom experienced peace once more.

Last edited:
Chapter 5: The Hundred Years War and other stories

Other Stories

EU3_422.jpg

Nathan the Prophet then ordered Frederick Wilhelm I to annex Friesland. Nathan the Prophet was then reminded of the ban on annexation by God. Nathan replied "Don't blame me--ask God."

EU3_423.jpg

Frederick Wilhelm I was stunned when he discovered that the nobles of Tirol and Styria refused to be freed as vassals.

EU3_429.jpg

These same nobles of Styria then revolted a few months later. King Frederick opted to allow them to rebel for a few years, then come in and crush them after they had declared independence.

EU3_424.jpg

The rapid expansion of the Kingdom led to some nobles of other provinces claiming to belong to the same elite class that had been with the Kingdom of Brunswick from the very beginning. This led to a spat that nearly led to civil war; but King Frederick surprisingly showed great wisdom when he spent 100 ducats to pay off the two most prominent families in the dispute.

EU3_430.jpg

Court Historian: "You sold Koblenz to Hesse for nothing?"

Frederick Wilhelm I: "I tried to sell it to them for 20 ducats, but they wouldn't take."

Court Historian: "What is with your family's obsession of seeing Hesse own Koblenz?"

Frederick Wilhelm I: "Not completely sure--I just felt it in my veins."

Court Historian: [rolls his eyes and leaves]

EU3_431.jpg

The Kingdom was thus forced into peace for the next few years, to allow the manpower to recover. Losing the title of Holy Roman Emperor had hurt the Kingdom significantly.

EU3_432.jpg

"Well of course they succeeded--I paid off the defenders!"

The State of the Nation

EU3_434.jpg

EU3_436.jpg

EU3_437.jpg

EU3_438.jpg

EU3_439.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 6: Consolidation

Waiting

At the close of the war against Austria, the Kingdom of Brunswick was in pretty bad shape. Manpower was zapped, and the armies badly needed reinforcements. Further, War Exhaustion was just high enough to pose a problem. Thus, King Friedrich Wilhelm pursued a policy of peace for five years in order to let the country recover. It would take that long for manpower to return to normal, having lost the seat of the Holy Roman Empire.

While he waited, the following fairly unimportant and scattered incidents happened.

EU3_444.jpg

This alliance was accepted, because at this time Lithuania was rather strong, and any excuse to cause other nations to have second thoughts about disturbing Brunswick's peace was a good one.

EU3_445.jpg

This boundary dispute was settled, because it was for a province that was not part of the grand master plan for Brunswick to own, and the king did not want -0.3% prestige for the next 50+ years.

EU3_446.jpg

In August of 1449, Styria declared independence from the Kingdom, just as planned.

EU3_447.jpg

The armies required 9 months to put them down, and Styria agreed to a vassalship. The Holy Roman Empire grows again!

EU3_450.jpg

Friedrich Wilhelm accepted a trade agreement with Utrecht, a vassal, the first in the kingdom's history. He hoped it would shut all the other kingdoms up.

Invasion of Cologne

EU3_451.jpg

EU3_452.jpg

When the time came for another period of war, Friedrich Wilhelm noted that Cologne had made many friends that were in position to directly threaten the heart of the Kingdom itself. This could not be. Cologne was then invaded.

EU3_453.jpg

Lithuania abandoned Brunswick faster than Kobayashi eats hot dogs. To Friedrich's dismay, Magdeburg did not honour their alliance with Cologne. They would have to be invaded some other time.

Invasion forces quickly took Koln, Luneburg, Friesland and Franken, while the remaining provinces were left for later.

EU3_454.jpg

The army set to invade Luneburg were shocked when they discovered the city walls already torn down.

EU3_456.jpg

Luneburg surrendered the next day.

Friesland would be the next problem. Friedrich Wilhelm still had that mission from God to annex Friesland.

EU3_457.jpg

But he was capable of doing math. He noted that the penalty to foreign relations suffered by annexation was 6, while vassalization offered no penalty, and also gave him whatever money was in the treasury. Completing the mission would reduce the penalty by 2 and give him a core he did not want.

EU3_458.jpg

Nathan showed up the next day. King Friedrich cancelled the mission, at which point Nathan revealed the mission was only a test from God to see if Friedrich would follow the vision given to his ancestors. Nathan then gave him his next mission.

EU3_459.jpg

(Funny. Really funny. Does it count as completion if I conquer then vassalize them?)

EU3_460.jpg

EU3_462.jpg

Cologne noted with alarm that both its capital and the important province of Franken had fallen to the enemy forces and offered a quick peace for ducats. The Palatinate offered the same, but offered to give up Franken instead of the ducats. Both offers were turned out--Friedrich started the war, and he was going to end it with total victory.

EU3_463.jpg

In 1452, Castille offered to renew the Auld Alliance between the nations of Brunswick and Castille, and Brunswick, eager for an ally to replace the treacherous Lithuanians, accepted.

EU3_464.jpg

Meanwhile, the same two feuding families were at it again, requiring another 100 ducats from the royal treasury.

EU3_465.jpg

Once Cologne was conquered, the Holy Roman Emperor himself was no match for the Brunswickian armies, especially as he was also at war with Burgundy at this time.

EU3_468.jpg

Friedrich designated Worms as official homeland for the Frankfurtians, should they want it.

Waiting... Again

EU3_467.jpg

The King wished to be seen as a supporter of the peasants, and eagerly accepted their petition. The nobles were displeased.

EU3_469.jpg

While waiting for the armies to be replenished once more, King Friedrich ordered that Workshops be built in every province of the Empire.

EU3_470.jpg

There were many reasons for waiting once more, not the least being the King's reputation.

So the Kingdom waited.

EU3_472.jpg

EU3_473.jpg

And revolted. Friedrich noted with pleasure that the revolters had taken residence in their official homelands--the Tyrolians in Trent, and the Dutch (Netherlands) in Zeeland. His mouth watered at the thought of expanding the Empire once more. The Empire that would be his once more, once Alexander Sigmund of the Palatine died. He ordered messengers to see if anyone in the court at Pfalz would be willing to facilitate a poisoning, but none replied.

EU3_474.jpg

Ickelrath's second son proved traitor to the Brunswick Empire. Friedrich ordered the Archbishop be poisoned, and the family dishonoured.

Three months later, before his plans could be carried out...

EU3_475.jpg

Sometimes, people just get what they deserve.

The Third Circle of Hell

EU3_476.jpg

Last edited:
State of the Kingdom

EU3_471.jpg

One Auld Alliance deserves another, right?

Sightings

EU3_461.jpg

Not surprisingly, the three men didn't last long. They surrendered before I could click "assault."

EU3_470a.jpg

Learn something new every day--the AI can win defections too.

Chapter 7: Things Fall Apart

Bonus points to anyone who knows where the title of the chapter came from.

Things Fall Apart

EU3_477.jpg

EU3_478.jpg

The Kingdom was not ready for war with France. Friedrich had hoped to regain the Emperorship before having to faceoff with France. Alas, there was no choosing this war.

And if he thought things couldn't get worse...

EU3_479.jpg

The Pope cited the exiling and murder of an Archbishop and his family for the excommunication; Nathan the Prophet said it was because he ignored the missions that God gave him. Whatever the reasons, Friedrich was now a heretic, and the Pope resisted the large quantities of gold deposited on his doorstep, as well as Friedrich's offers of repentance and threats.

EU3_480.jpg

With his fate now sealed, Friedrich put on battle armour and proved to be a very able general.

EU3_482.jpg

The French asked for what everyone knew they would ask for, but Brunswick was not interested in giving it to them just yet.

Brunswick attempted to mount a counterattack and probed the French border for any undefended provinces; and was shocked to find every border province had at least 15,000 soldiers in the province or one province over. There were no undefended provinces.

War raged across Europe, and Friedrich honoured the English-Brunswickian alliance as England invaded Ireland.

EU3_485.jpg

(That was fast.)

Friedrich soon noticed that the French were completely unable to touch the Kingdom of Brunswick save for occasionally landing forces in Warmia. He then made the newest war strategy to ignore the French, wait five years, and hope for a White Peace.

Meanwhile, the Nationalist rebels who had taken Trent and Zeeland had declared independence, and it was now time to put down the rebellions and establish a homeland, in accordance with national policy.

EU3_484.jpg

EU3_487.jpg

EU3_488.jpg

The English finished off the Irish with ease, and the war count for Brunswick dropped from four to one.

The French in particular seemed to realize the futility of continuing the war and began to offer more concessions.

EU3_507.jpg

EU3_508.jpg

Peace was finalized for 25 ducats.

The Hundred Years War, part two million

Not even one month later...

EU3_509.jpg

EU3_510.jpg

The odds this time around looked good, but having just paid the French to go away, Friedrich felt betrayed, and vowed vengeance.

EU3_511.jpg

What is this, the Montagues versus the Capulets?

At this point, Friedrich sided with one family merely because it meant one of the two families got to die.

EU3_512.jpg

In the midst of all this war, one good thing happened--the first of the conquests started to core. Which led to...

EU3_513.jpg

Saxon being accepted.

(Yay! Three core provinces!)

Being utterly bored with ignoring the French, Friedrich sent the first of his new batch of spies over to provide a picture as to the goings on over in France.

EU3_514.jpg

EU3_515.jpg

And, as it turned out that France was on the verge of collapse (-2 stability), the armies were sent over to make a mess of things.

EU3_517.jpg

Return of the Emperor

EU3_518.jpg

"For once, are things finally going well?" Friedrich asked his first minister.

"It sure looks like it. Though I did not know that an excommunicated King could become Holy Roman Emperor."

"Well I'm the Emperor now. Obey me, or die! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

"Are you okay King?"

"If I may not have the pleasures of an afterlife, I might as well live like a tyrant here on Earth. Bring in some criminals that are on death row. I want entertainment."

EU3_520.jpg

"What about Hillensburg, my liege? Perhaps you'd rather hear his newest work?"

"Hillenburg can provide the soundtrack to the battle. Call him in."

"Sigh."

Peace?

EU3_521.jpg

The astute student of history will note that the peace agreement between England and France is accompanied by a map which shows no Brunswick-held territories in that nation. In fact, the French army completely wiped out one of the four armies in the process of throwing out the German invaders.

But at least the Empire was now at peace. Right?

EU3_522.jpg

EU3_523.jpg

Southern Wars

EU3_524.jpg

Aquileia, by this point a one-province minor, fell quickly to the hordes of Huns that streamed across the border, and Friedrich was not one to sit idly by as one of his subjects got annexed. Besides, Hungary owned plenty of people that needed to experience self-rule, according to the royal vision, and so this would be a great opportunity to add to the Empire.

EU3_526.jpg

It turns out the Emperor had plenty of allies in the defense of Aquileia. Hungary's domination would not last long.

EU3_525.jpg

"Switzerland? Of all nations, Switzerland warns us?" exclaimed Friedrich upon reading the note delivered by horseback. Friedrich laughed at the messenger and ignored the note.

EU3_527.jpg

Friedrich took this opportunity to benefit from Lithuania's second treachery. One good turn deserves another.

EU3_528.jpg

Hungary offered a White Peace, now that they had what they wanted. Friedrich was in no mood to let them off the hook.

Yet.

EU3_529.jpg

Friedrich laughed. "One more nation to crush!"

Then he studied the details, and stopped laughing.

EU3_530.jpg

Of Switzerland's allies, Lothringen, Salzburg, Milan, and Ferrara had honoured the call to arms. While none of these nations posed a threat, when combined with the Hungarian annoyance, it was more than the currently weakened army of Brunswick could handle. King Friedrich ordered the invasion of Hungary to continue, ignoring the Swiss threat and saving it for later.

EU3_531.jpg

Meanwhile, the family that had been sided against in the last war assassinated the head of the victorious family. While the King did not mind seeing both sides die, the denizens of the kingdom did.

Last edited:
Chapter 7: Things Fall Apart

Southern Wars, Part II

EU3_532.jpg

Espionage was made national policy in the next month--the Emperor would need the help to maintain order in the fractious Empire.

EU3_533.jpg

The wars were going badly, as you will note from the screenshots that Worms and two Bavarian provinces were being besieged, two others already taken, and the entire army was still in Hungary not having budged an inch, due to stubborn garrison guards in Gorz.

But the war, though troublesome, presented an unmatched opportunity--in Ferrara, Salzburg, and Lothringen, Friedrich had the opportunity to vassalize three more OPMs, and the Swiss would likely accept vassalization if they too were conquered. All this for zero stab cost or badboy? Absolutely!

So the war pressed on.

EU3_534.jpg

Meanwhile, as war exhaustion had now risen above the magical 5.00 mark, Hungary was no longer willing to negotiate for peace. The invasion of the homeland by the Swiss coalition could no longer be ignored. The armies were dispatched for Ferrara, and a fourth army to replace the one that had been annihilated in France was ordered in the non-occupied provinces.

EU3_536.jpg

EU3_537.jpg

Ferrara fell quickly; but Ferrara had been the least-troublesome of the coalition partners. Only a 10,000-man Hessian army was preventing the Milanese from invading Brunswick proper.

EU3_538.jpg

Hungary, of course, used the break in the war to fix their other problem, as they had been invaded by a very strong Golden Horde, and was forced to cede territory to keep them away.

EU3_539.jpg

Nathan chose this time to interrupt Friedrich's battle plans and tell him that God wished for things to be patched up with Austria. Friedrich Wilhelm had him thrown out of the military camp (he was leading the soldiers himself). Nathan's last words were "May God have mercy on your soul."

EU3_540.jpg

Hungary once again offered a White Peace, but Friedrich had no intention even now of letting Hungary off the hook. Hungary, should they invade Brunswick, would get as far as Trent, which wasn't very far. The current Swiss coalition had occupied nearly half of his lands, sparing only the Netherlands and Brunswick proper, and they were making a move on Brunswick proper at this moment.

EU3_541.jpg

The Swiss too offered a White Peace, but Friedrich did not want peace--he wanted revenge for interrupting his peace.

EU3_542.jpg

The Cretians, a minor enemy in the Hungarian war, offered money for peace, and as Friedrich had no boats, or the capability to build boats, he accepted.

EU3_543.jpg

Only then did he receive word that his allies, Holland, had successfully sieged Crete, and that he could have vassalized them.

EU3_545.jpg

The Emperor was so furious he ordered Salzburg be sacked when the gates had opened to him. Friedrich Wilhelm I himself was seen slaughtering peasants and robbing merchants. He had it with this mess and was ready to utterly destroy anything that moved.

EU3_546.jpg

The news that Warmia had fallen to Danzig Nationalists, which normally would have thrilled Friedrich, now only infuriated him. With the tolls of war bearing down on him, King Friedrich was a raving madman, and was nearly out of control.

So it was, that as he led the newest charge on the occupied territories of Bavaria, one of his commanders gave different orders to his regiment.

The Death of Friedrich Wilhelm I

EU3_547.jpg

EU3_548.jpg

The commander, and the entire army, knew what had to be done. The King's war policies appeared to be leading the nation to defeat. They were all sick of war and prepared to massacre their king in order to get home anytime soon.

As the King ordered the charge, the infantry sped past, and clipped their king. As the king fell, the oncoming waves of infantry went out of their way to run over the body of the king. As he breathed his last, his armour was stripped by scavengers among the soldiers, and his bones scattered.

So ends the tale of Friedrich Wilhelm the First, the excommunicated Emperor.

Last edited: