• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EtzelHoveri

Lt. General
53 Badges
Dec 16, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
It has been a little while since I last wrote an AAR and so I decided to dust off an old AAR, I had completed, and make a newer version of it. Eight years ago, I had written The White Book which received decent approval by other members of the forum and readers. As this is a more simple writing to do without too much effort, since I don't have the most time in the world in this crazy era, I thought I would do another one based off this idea.

Once more, I shall be writing in the eyes of the Lord Commanders of the Kingsguard following their tale. Technically, this is my second attempt on this story, as my first writing was rather boring. Aegon conquered the Seven Kingdoms and then there was peace. Outside of a few minor rebellions nothing interesting seemed to happen. This one though is already far more fascinating and I haven't even got out of the first Lord Commander.

Tomorrow or the next day, I will write up the preface to tell the story of the War of Conquest and the founding of the Kingsguard under their first Lord Commander, Colmar Vance. Might be tonight if I have time to finish Vance's story.

Last edited:
Proem
Proem

There are few men who lived as important lives as Aegon Targaryen, better known as Aegon the Conqueror or Aegon the Dragon. In his short life, he would build what would become known as the Seven Kingdoms, the Kingdom of Westeros, or simply the Iron Throne, after the chair he had fashion for him and future Targaryen's to sit upon. His time on this throne was cut drastically short, but he still made his mark when he invaded the lands of Westeros from his island fortress of Dragonstone. His army was small, but between these few men, his family including his half-brother Orys skill in arms, and their three dragons, Vhagar, Meraxes, and Balerion the Black Dread, he made these lands tremble.

They first set their eyes south upon Argilac the Arrogant, leader of the Stormlands, who in less than a single month would be swallowed whole by Meraxes, thus ending the Durrandon line when Aegon forced the man's daughter to wed Orys and founded House Baratheon. Moving north the three siblings pushed through the Riverlands in short order burning Harrenhal to the ground and naming Edmyn Tully the Lords of the Trident with Harrenhal itself going to his friend Quenton Qoherys under this new Lord. Both the Vale and North were smart enough to surrender without a fight.

Loren Lannister was not as wise and quickly found himself meeting a similar fate to Argilac, though it would be Vhagar who roasted him and many Lords of the Westlands alive just east of Casterly Rock. The keep itself fell shortly after to Lady Visenya and the Riverland army being led by Quenton. At this same time Balerion had burned down much of Highgarden. More than twenty members of the Gardener family would lose their lives that day, but the few who lived surrendered to their new lieges. Some thought Aegon would stop there as his men were tired from four years of marching across the lands of Westeros. Yet, there was still one Kingdom remaining, Dorne. Aegon would not end this war until he was ruler of all of Westeros. However, he would not do this with either of his two sisters or their dragons. Visenya was pregnant with their first child and Rhaenys was to go with her to ensure her safety on the banks of Blackwater Bay where she would also begin the construction of what would be known as the great city and capitol of the Targaryen lands, King's Landing.

Thankfully, Aegon would not need their assistance. Between himself and Orys' Stormlanders, they made quick work of the Dorne army. Thus ending the War of Conquest and uniting all of Westeros under a single King. The same moment that Deria Martell was swearing fealty to the Iron Throne, after her father Nymor was slain by Orys Baratheon two days before in battle, Visenya was giving birth to Baelon Targaryen the heir of this new mighty Empire. Pleased with all he had accomplished, Aegon returned to his new home to meet his son and continue the construction of King's Landing.

He only was given the opportunity to spend three months in this task, for one morning he was found with a crossbow bolt through his eye within one of the stables of Aegonfort. All stable hands were rounded up but none knew of what happened to their King and were just as surprised of his death. This did not matter to Queen-Regent Visenya however and all the stable hands along with a large number of guards would all be executed in the coming days. With only a child not even a year old now King, Visenya feared what would happen to their new Kingdom. Some suggested that either of the two sisters should rule, but they knew that these men would not follow a woman's lead. Instead, they would rule in Baelon's place, but it would be this child who would be the King.

Above all else, they needed to see him safe. Thus a band of knights sworn to protect the King above all else was formed. These men would be known as the Kingsguard. The Queen-Regent was not sure who to trust in these trying times, but in the end she chose a second son of a Riverland noble to head this group. Thus came about the first Lord Commander of the Kingsguard taking his place and building what would become known as one of the greatest organizations in the world. Lord Commander Colmar Vance had a lot of work ahead of him.

Last edited:
Nice a to see you back at AAR writing. :)

And I like this start, Aegon dead just after the conquest, a long regency, ... All the ingredients for a great story.

I will have the first official chapter of the original Lord Commander up this weekend. Work is a little hectic this week.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Colmar Vance; Lord Commander from 3-27 AC
Colmar Vance
Lord Commander of the Kingsguard (3-27AC)

Together with the Queen-Regent, Colmar Vance created what would become known as the Kingsguard. The oaths these warriors would say, yes warriors as this group would likely be mostly men, but they cared more for the protection of the Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms and less on gender itself. In the end they chose that it would consist of seven members alongside the leader of this group, their Lord Commander.

The first two members would come from the Reach. Armond Meadows and Lyonel Hightower addition were both because they were fine warriors, but also to help in patching up animosity within the Reach. Many Lords there were not pleased with the Targaryen rule, especially after the near destruction of Highgarden. Their addition brought small amount of peace between these families and their new rulers. Time would only tell how long this would last.

The next two were both from the small region of Byford near King's Landing. These two were brothers by the names of Gregor and Griffith Goode. Two massive men who dwarfed all the other Kingsguard combined. They had one older brother to continue their family line and so were happy to take up service within this new group. Lord Paramount Orys Baratheon would bring with him a skilled warrior by the name of Manfred from Connington Tower with him when he returned to King's Landing after the birth of his second daughter. This warrior quickly hit it off with both Lyonel and Colmar himself and become their sixth member.

Visenya and Colmar were having a hard time to choose a final person for this group. In the end, Lady Visenya took up this position herself. Claiming that they needed somebody who was not just a great warrior but also somebody who truly put the King's well-being above all else.

Visenya betrothed herself to her 1 year old son so I decided to offer her a place on the Kingsguard. She thankfully accepted which meant I wouldn't have to jump characters and break the betrothal or something like that.

Four years from the day of King Aegon Targaryen's death, war blasted across the Seven Kingdoms once more. This rebellion would be led Lord Tristan Massey, Master of Coin, and ironically financed by the Targaryen's own coffers which he had successfully spirited away with in the dead of night. Among those who would rise up with him were the Lords Othgar Hoare, Edmyn Tully, Lady Deira Martell, Osmund Stokeworth, and Robert Darklyn, among most of the other 'Crownland' nobles.

While the vast majority of the Kingsguard stayed in King's Landing to protect their Child-King, Colmar rode out in command of the minor three thousand men that the crown could muster up. This was more than enough for Colmar however. In a strong push north, Colmar crushed first an army of Massey soldiers numbering five thousand and then the Darklyn forces. Pushing all the way to Crackclaw Point. This freed up the Bay of Crabs and waters around the peninsula for the still loyal soldiers of the Vale to ferry across.

It was in vain however, as during his time away King's Landing had been besieged with the King reported missing. Returning home with only a few hundred horsemen, Colmar would fall into an ambush led by Lord Addam Bracken just south of Duskendale near Castle Stokeworth. These Riverland warriors were there more to keep the crown's soldiers from returning to their King than anything else, and nobody thought they would just ride through a much stronger in both number and position force, but that is exactly what Lord Commander Vance did. Charging through the lines most of the cavalry did not make it, but a few were able to push through and even in the charge Lord Bracken was cut down by Colmar Vance, thus preventing any type of harassing action as these men continued their ride south.

Arriving in the Capitol, Vance learned that his two day charge across these lands were futile. King Baelon was no longer on the throne. Instead, Lady, now Queen, Rhaenys Targaryen sat upon it. She claimed that Baelon had perished in the siege which is why she had taken up the throne. With her older sister now taking vows to hold no titles and her only son, which was not from King Aegon but named after him, only three years old, it was only right she take the throne. Many in the lands agreed and the war came to an end.

With an almost full decade of never ending bloodshed the lands of Westeros finally turned to one of peace for the moment under their new Queen. This was in part because Lord Brandon Stark of Winterfell would assist in the ruling of the Seven Kingdoms as the new Queen's Hand. He was a man respected by nobles and commoners alike. If he wasn't married to Lady Minisia Tully already, many thought that it would make perfect sense for him to marry the new Queen. Instead she would marry Florian Myrktion a minor noble from Lys. Nevertheless, they were often found together at all hours of the night. This would culminate in the Queen's last child, the bastard born Maelor 'Waters' Fairdragon.

Young Aegon grew up in the city of King's Landing where he saw the city slowly become greater than before. A new keep was built atop Aegon's Hill and the walls were expanded twice in those first six years under the new Queen. She saw the city becoming something magnificent along side her lover and Hand. These two spent the vast majority of the remaining coffers to do it. Funded partially by the arrest and executions of a few minor Lords. On the future King's tenth birthday he was sent to live on Dragonstone alongside the Kingsguard Lyonel Hightower. It would be up to him to not only train Aegon the way of the sword but act as his guardian and ruler of the Lordship of Dragonstone.

Shortly after Lady Visenya's death in 16 AC, Tourneys began to be held once more across the Seven Kingdoms. Both Brandon Stark and the Queen thought it would be very wise to have the Kingsguard take this opportunity for a few of them each to take part in these Tourneys, no more than three at a time were allowed to go so they would have at least three guards on their person. These men quickly showed Westeros that they were truly the greatest warriors in all of Westeros. Of the first five major Tourneys held, all but the one in Dalston Keep would be won by a member of the guard. There Lord Commander Vance lost to Ser Corlys Velaryon in the final tilt.

Even the Queen would hold a Tourney on her son's sixteenth name day, when he was now a man. Here nobody could face the Lord Commander's wrath. He bested Ser Raymund a reputed Tourney Knight and replacement to Lady Visenya, Lyonel Hightower, Ser Manfred of Connington Tower, and lastly Lord Aethon Velaryon and then Ser Corlys to be named the Champion of the Tourney. As a servant to his Queen, he named her the Queen of Love and Beauty. This Queen would then approach her son and give him her sister's sword, Dark Sister. It's twin, Blackfyre, disappeared after the attack on King's Landing so many years ago.

Sadly, the peace across the lands would end a few years later. The Queen had heard reports, supposedly, that her own son was attempting to unite the Lords to overthrow her. More likely, Brandon Stark and the Queen were pulling the strings to ensure that not only could they be together, but that it would be their son Maelor who would inherit the throne. Among those to fall during this reign of terror was Minisia Tully who was fed to Meraxes, Florian Myrktion was found dead in the middle of the night, and even the Kingsguard Manfred of Connington Tower who learning of Prince Aegon's arrest clutched his chest and perished on the spot. He thankfully would not have to witness the Trial of Combat between Prince Aegon and the Hand. They fought one another across the courtyard of the newly constructed Red Keep. Some say that Aegon would have won if he was permitted to have Dark Sister, but instead the poor boy was given nothing more than a practice blade which did not have a sharpened edge. Still the young Prince held his own against Ice and even broke Lord Stark's leg before being cut down.

Saddened by these events Ser Raymund attempted to turn over his white cloak, but would be found dead in a gutter the following morning. It was ruled a suicide with only fifty stab wounds. These two Kingsguard would be replaced by Rolland Toyne and a sell-sword by the name of Benedict. Prior to taking his oath, Benedict was first forced to kneel and take the oath of knighthood. He was still the best sword out of the seven and would often practice against three or four of them each morning to prove that he truly belonged within this group.

As the Tourneys continued across the land, Ser Benedict showed the Seven Kingdoms his place was earned as well. Besting Lyonel Hightower, Rolland Toyne, and the Lord Commander to win at Farring Cross. Then again at The Eyrie he would defeat the Lord Commander after almost losing to a hedge knight named Buford. At Sharp Point, Colmar would not get the chance to face off against Ser Benedict again as he lost to Gregor Goode, but even Gregor failed to unhorse Ser Benedict.

Shockingly, nobody seemed to really care in the lands what Queen Rhaenys and Brandon Stark were doing. Not even the 'executions' or murdering her own son or Brandon's wife seemed to mater to them. They just wanted to live their lives. The Queen decided to name her only daughter Haera Targaryen her heir, who would be betrothed to Maelor Waters. This union would not occur as once Haera was given her seat at Dragonstone, she sent Maelor back with a notice to the Queen and Brandon Stark. This note was only read by them and was lost to history, but they never pushed this effort as word quickly spread that many of the dragons which had hatched over the years found their ways to Dragonstone and Driftmark.

At this time ten dragons lived across Westeros. Only Meraxes was controlled by the Queen. Six of the younger generation was on these two islands controlled by Lady Haera. Balerion had not been seen in over a decade though reports came that he was enjoying his time in the North. Then there was another wild dragon in all senses of the word named Volgavys who nested on the border of Dorne and the Stormlands. This dragon was born to Vhagar who also enjoyed its freedom since Lady Visenya's death. Many have attempted to tame this mighty dragon, but every single one would fall to the deadly beast. Unlike Balerion and Volgavys, Vhagar did not have a place where it nested. It simply appeared and many would die.

On his ride back to King's Landing from the Tourney of Sharp Point, Lord Commander Vance found himself looking across Blackwater Bay at a large speck in the distance. It was not hard to know what this was as he had seen it many of times up close when it's previous rider served under his command. Riding back to the tree line, Colmar prepared a lance and waited. Judging the time perfectly, he struck his horse's haunches and launched forward with the lance sticking slightly up instead of straight out. He would see and end to this beast's rampage across the Seven Kingdoms....

Rulers he Served
Baelon I Targaryen 3-6AC, Rhaenys I Targaryen 6-27AC

Warriors who died in the white under his command
Visenya Targaryen, Manfred of Connington Tower, Ser Raymund​

(I had to go to work yesterday when I was off and today I have a few errands to run, so I could not add the pictures to the AAR. I will however take care of them over the week. Still I had promised the first chapter would be up today. I am also writing this AAR more in the style of somebody else writing this book instead of by the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard like I had done with my previous story 'The White Book'. This will allow me to write more on outside events which say Colmar would honestly know about. Also can be more than just first hand accounts of events. Hope you like it.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So got home last night and wanted to play through the next Lord Commander’s life. Turns out I played a little more than that. Just one interesting thing after another happened.

Good news is, I have the next five chapters of content available to start writing about. Bad news, this is one weird version of events. Not quite like my other one where the throne kept jumping between houses but still weird in its own way.

I’m on my phone right now so I for some reason am having trouble directly mentioning you in this post but thank you for the mention in your Fan of the Week post @The Number 9
I hope you continue to enjoy the story. I will fill in any pertinent information that doesn’t make sense in the story itself with Spoiler bubbles. If you have questions about things I don’t mention feel free to ask

Ser Benedict, Lord Commander from 27-56 AC
Ser Benedict
Lord Commander of the Kingsguard (27-56AC),
Advisor to the Crown,

Lord Protector of the Realm,

Though he was the newest member of the Kingsguard, Benedict had proven himself to be the most capable of them and so was quickly named the newest Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. To replace his predecessor, he chose Ser Buford the hedge knight who had almost bested him at the Tourney at The Eyrie. They had become good friends from that day and it was an easy choice to him. Thankfully, Queen Rhaenys cared little about who was part of the guard, so long as they did their duties. With Ser Buford's addition to their numbers there were now six Kingsguard in King's Landing and Rolland Toyne who served Princess Haera Targaryen on Dragonstone.

Almost a year to the day from the previous Lord Commander's death, Lannisport held a Grand Tourney which the entirety of the Kingsguard took place in since both the Queen and Princess Haera Targaryen chose to attend. Here Lord Commander Benedict had the opportunity to meet a young woman by the name of Simona from Connington Tower. She was a lovely young woman nearly thirty years his junior who was also the niece of the late Kingsguard Ser Manfred. Rumors began to spread across the land that the Lord Commander had taken her as a lover, especially after he named her the Queen of Love and Beauty after he had won his twentieth Tourney. Ser Lyonel Hightower, who had introduced the two would not make it home from the journey as he did not wake one morning. Upon their return to King's Landing the Queen named Theomar Corre to replace him. This was a less well known knight, but he proved a near equal to the Lord Commander with the blade and became his new sparing partner.

Ending his time with taking part in Tourney's, the Lord Commander decided to focus more on the politics of the land. There was a rumor spreading of a new dragon rising up in the Stormlands and so he wanted to ensure that they were prepared if this should happen. The Queen however decided to ignore this a focus on Dragonstone itself where she was still having issues with her daughter. Haera had chosen to not take a husband still and went so far as to inform her at Lannisport that she may never have one. This would bring an end to the Targaryen line. Unless you counted the bastard born Maelor 'Waters' Fairdragon or the men in the Stormlands.

This disagreement had gotten so heated that the Queen had sent a small force of men to Dragonstone, ordering the Princess to come to King's Landing this moment. Wishing to seem like the reasonable one, she did just that. Upon arriving she demanded a Trial by Combat to live the life she wished to. Thus Brandon Stark faced down the Queen's other child in a duel. Thankfully, this time the Princess was smart enough to allow a champion to fight for her and chose her guardian, Rolland Toyne who made quick work of the Hand of the Queen. It was so one sided that many feared for Rolland's life, especially after his comments about facing a man with a real sword. Ashamed by this, Brandon Stark stepped down from his position in the Capitol to return back to the North.

In the end, the man in white and the Princess would return to Dragonstone to await the Queen's death. Which would occur only four years from that day. Haera Targaryen was now Queen.... At least that was what the Queen had wanted, but the new Hand of the Queen, Cerion Lannister had other plans. Instead with the help of Orys Baratheon the two placed Baelon Targaryen back on the throne. The storming of King's Landing back in 12AC was actually assisted by the late Queen who had spirited away the Child-King to the Ironborn to be dealt with. Rhaenys knew very little about ships or Ironborn and instead ended up giving the child to one of the pirates which were helping the Hoare led raid on King's Landing. She had wanted the boy to die, but he ended up being sold into slavery in Essos. Orys Baratheon hunted the boy down to lands east of Volantis where he spent a large sum of money to free the then eleven year old child. From that day forward, he lived with the Baratheon's and learned to be a man from his Uncle while his Aunt held his throne.

Upon taking his rightful throne he was gifted with Blackfyre which Orys had already retrieved from the corpse of Othgar Hoare in a duel that few men knew of. Princess Haera furious by this action led her dragons west. She would meet King Baelon atop her dragon, Perzypeldax, who had once been ridden by her older brother Aegon. Baelon on the other hand rode the younger, but surprisingly far larger Rehitys. They met in a quick duel which ended with the passed over Queen fleeing north towards the Vale. Her dragon was faster so easily outpaced the larger beast in moments. The Vale had not yet taken sides during this conflict and so allowed her safety to regroup herself. She had few allies it turned out. The Stormlands and Westlands both supported King Baelon while the North did not support Baelon since that would keep his child from the throne, but at the same time she had embarrassed both Maelor by refusing his marriage and the Starks in the recent duel.

They too would quickly side with King Baelon when he named Maelor a true-born son of House Targaryen and heir to the throne when he was sent off alongside Lord Commander Benedict. These two became fast friends on their short campaign which captured both Driftmark and Dragonstone in less than a months time. Neither of these two islands were vastly important, save for the young dragons being housed on them. Now in control of the dragons once more, King's Landing and King Baelon were the obvious power of the land. Thus in the dead of night Princess Haera was bound and hidden away in The Eyrie while a raven was sent to King's Landing. King Baelon rode Rehitys north, scaring Perzypeldax across the Narrow Sea before landing atop the high keep. His cousin was brought before him and was quickly beheaded on the spot. The King returned from the Vale with just his cousin's head and his mother's blade Dark Sister.

For his efforts and support, Maelor was not only made a true-born Targaryen, but was also given Dragonstone and Blackfyre, while he kept Dark Sister. Only a little over thirty, Baelon knew he could still have children and even if Maelor was named his heir, if he had children then there was nothing to worry about. Instead of accepting peace and feeling pleased to be on the throne, Baelon instead attempted to bring Cerion Lannister to Trial for failing to uphold his Aunt's will. The very thing that saw him on the throne, he was now condemning a man for. This action was both 'honorable' and foolhardy. Nevertheless, he was his King and so the Lord Commander was given the task to ride out in command of the crown's armies while he road atop his dragon from above.

The Lannisters would be aided by both the Arryns and Tullys in this coming conflict while only the Reach would come to the new King's aid. It quickly became apparent that Orys Baratheon was already rethinking his part on putting Baelon Targaryen on the throne. Even with dragons, Baelon could not match the sheer numbers that these three Lords could muster. His biggest issue was that only himself rode any of these dragons in combat.

Still Lord Commander Benedict did what he could for his new King. Each battle they faced the white cloaked man could be seen leading the charge. He would cut down the Lords Loren Farman, Addison Marbrand, and Edmund Reyne in a single battle. In the year of conflict which would end with Baelon being taken prisoner, much in the same way that had happened to his cousin the previous year, Benedict would cut down over twenty nobles on the field of battle. He was a man to be feared by all. A man who could have saved his King, if the man had not foolishly started this war or 'captured' a castle deep into enemies lands to sleep at in the middle of the war without taking either soldiers or Kingsguard with him.

The twice crowned King would lose it again this time to a recently risen 'true-born' son named Maelor. Not wanting to go down without a fight, Baelon demanded a Trial by Combat for his freedom and would face off against Podrick Lannister, Cerion's own father. Baelon was a fearsome warrior on the field of battle with his dragon, but not as much without. He must have thought that one of his Kingsguard would step forward to champion for him, but he was no longer their King. Instead it was Benedict's friend and a person who did not grow up thinking he would be given everything in life. Thus with Baelon's death and Dark Sister given to Maelor, the newly crowned King walked out of Casterly Rock to find Rehitys atop one of the towers looking down on all of them. Many screamed and fled in terror, save for eight men, seven of which wore white. This small group moved further into the courtyard before the only one not in white flew east to his new obligation.

King Maelor's reign began well as he leaned both on strong council and his friends. Above-all else he leaned on his friend Lord Commander Benedict's guidance. He would sit at his Small Council meetings as not only the Lord Commander but his chief Advisor to the throne and Lord Protector of the Realm.

Was named Warden of the West, South, North, and Regent of the Seven Kingdoms

Cerion Lannister's time on the Small Council was short as he was replaced by Brandon Stark once more as the Hand of the King. This brought about another rebellion in 39AC which saw both the Westlands and their long time rivals the Iron Islands working together. Brandon Stark took command of the Crown's forces of all the remaining kingdoms while the Lord Commander was given ten thousand men to be sent to the Iron Islands.

Not wishing to unleash his dragon upon the land, the war took much longer than it could have. In the end five years passed as the fighting spread across the Islands and Westlands. Two major deaths occurred in this war, first of these was the Kingsguard Theomar Corre would give up his life in protecting the King in a failed assassination plot. He would be replaced by Ser Royce Connington. Then there was the King's own father, Brandon Stark. He was killed in battle by a stray arrow a few months before the end of the conflict. With his father's death, the King at last left his home atop his dragon. Which is likely what brought the end to the war.

Fearing Cerion was not a man to be trusted, he was sent north to the Wall, though there would be no reports of him ever actually taking the black. Simply disappeared to history. Yet, he wished to end the conflict between their two houses and so when Gregor Goode passed away shortly after, Horton Lannister was allowed to take his place.

At last returning to their home, Benedict retired from his time of Tourney's as he instead focused on his new task, training of the future King. Duncan Targaryen was made his ward and squire upon his return to King's Landing. This was a task that he felt as if he excelled at. The child quickly proved capable with the sword and battle. Benedict honestly thought the child could surpass him and his skill in youth one day.

As time went on and peace once more settled on the lands of Westeros south of the Wall very little happened. Armond Meadows would die in his sleep, leaving only Griffith Goode left among the original seven Kingsguard formed. He would be replaced by Theo Swygert who was not the most capable of warriors, but instead understood commerce to aid Benedict in his teachings of young Prince Duncan.

Only a few days after Duncan's sixteenth name day his father passed away leaving him his crown and a land at peace. Though new to the throne, he was still aided by Lord Commander Benedict and so no sudden call to arms rose out like previous leadership changes. The lands stayed at peace for the moment. Few remember that the same day the King passed away, Rolland Toyne would also pass and be replaced by Robin Yronwood.

The Seven Kingdoms were truly at peace, but this would be broken up after only a year when word came south from the Wall. A young woman named Rosey Whitehunt had somehow united the wildlings and marched south. The wildlings had attacked the Wall before, but never in these numbers. They made quick work of the Wall's defenses forcing the Night's Watch to flee south in near terror. These men fled all the way to King's Landing itself since Winterfell was still being ruled by a child since the death of Brandon Stark.

Thankfully, the King and his Kingsguard took up the call to return the Wall to the Night's Watch. They prepared to sail north in the first months of the year 56AC. However, the Lord Commander would never get an opportunity to face wildlings for he did not wake one morning. Ending the reign of only the second Lord Commander of Westeros, but many would argue one of the greatest to ever hold the title. No doubt he would be a shining example to future leaders.

Rulers he Served
Rhaenys I Targaryen 23-34AC, Baelon I Targaryen 34-36AC, Maelor I Targaryen 36-54AC, Duncan I Targaryen 54-56AC

Lyonel Hightower, Theomar Corre, Gregor Goode, Armond Meadows, Rolland Toyne

(For some reason all the screenshots I took for this game did not save. Can not find them anywhere, so looks like this will be a wall of text. Thankfully, it isn't really a story I feel needs a lot of pics since the only ones that there was going to be were shields, Kings/Queens, and dead warriors. So what did you all think of the second Lord Commander?

As mentioned in my previous post, I have played up through the year 67AC so far. As I mentioned before I have the next 5 LC's stories to write and there is only 11 years between them. Next few chapters might be a little shorter than the past two. Nature of the beast. I will likely have the next LC up on the 13th, 12th is my birthday and even though I'm off, I probably won't want to do much writing that day. Another will come up this weekend as well. These next two writing days maybe double posts just because they will likely be so short.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Ser Benedict was a great knight. He will be remember for a long time and kids will dream about him.
The Targaryen dynasty seems to have some trouble to stabilize.

The lack of image is not so much a problem imo.

I honestly had no idea how far I would play this game for and how long this AAR would be when I first started. It was an interesting moment for the lands of Westeros and felt like telling this tale. Turns out I found the perfect ending for this story. There will be a total of 11 Lord Commander's tales which will be written before this AAR will come to an end. Just 9 more to go and about half of those should be up by this time next week.

Reactions:
Ser Buford, Lord Commander from 56-59 AC
Ser Buford
Lord Commander of the Kingsguard

With the passing of Lord Commander Benedict, many thought that Griffith Goode would be named his replacement. He was not only the most senior, but even in his more senior years the most capable with sword and lance. However, still new to the crown, Duncan allowed members of his Small Council to give their thoughts on the matter. In the end, he decided to name Ser Buford the new Lord Commander following his Master of Law and Coin the Lord's Arryn and Rosby recommendation.

King Duncan, though a man was still new to the throne and found himself in a war he was not prepared for. He had hoped to lean on his father's best friend and his teacher for more guidance, but this was not to be so. Instead, he began the move north to assist in the reclaiming of the Wall. The newly appointed Lord Commander and his King would find their path north blocked however. At nearly the same moment a raven had arrived that the Lords Arryn, Tully, Rosby, and the Lady Velaryon had all risen up to instead put the Lady Velaryon on the Throne in place of this new King.

Having spent very little time outside of his home in King's Landing and nearly the entire Small Council in open revolt that left the King with few allies. Only Lady Joyeuse Baratheon, eldest and last living daughter of the late Orys would ride north in an attempt to protect King's Landing. From where she believed was the most imminent threat. Upon arriving outside the gates, her and her army only found that the city was blockaded by the Velaryon navy.

Blocking the King's march north was an army under the Lord Mallister. The two were nearly evenly matched in number, but before the battle could even commence another group of six thousand soldiers under the Rosby banners appeared. Now trapped between these two groups the King ordered an immediate retreat south as quickly as they could.

The King made quick his escape south, but with only a few thousand of his men. Of the near twenty thousand soldiers, a mere poultry force of four thousand survived this ambush. Ser Buford was not among them. Reports would come in that a hedge knight under the Rosby banner would be seen thrusting his sword through the Lord Commander's throat after the man's horse was killed from underneath him.

Rulers he Served
Rhaenys I Targaryen 27-34AC, Baelon I Targaryen 34-36AC, Maelor I Targaryen 36-54AC, Duncan I Targaryen 54-59AC

None

(I had to command kill Duncan's mother because the AI kept marrying him to either one of his two children who were 2 and 0 at the time.)

• 2Like
Reactions:
At this time the crown has no dragons. Duncan is the only adult Targaryen and he has not yet attempted to tame a dragon. However, the Velaryon family has 6 dragons and the Celtigars have 2. So in a way, they are afraid of the dragons.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I know you aren’t the only person since I have 300ish views(not sure what it is currently because I’m on my cell phone), but it feels like I’m writing the story for you since you are the only person who writes on here. Lol

I can just wish that all readers will stop their shyness and post something. :)

Griffith Goode, Lord Commander from 59-62 AC
Griffith Goode

As the report arrived of Lord Commander Buford's death, the King immediately named Griffith Goode as the new Lord Commander. In a shocking move, the man's first action would be to order these few survivors to turn around and march back north to strike at the Rosby forces from behind. In a move of either pure luck or genius this small army was able to catch the larger forces by surprise in a night raid led by the Lord Commander and the King. They pushed into the camp slaying thousands of men. Among these would be the Lord Jon Rosby himself who would take a lance through the throat by King Duncan himself.

Pleased with their success, the King's forces returned to King's Landing to find the Lady Baratheon in control of not only the city but the harbor as well. In a daring move, very similar to the one the King had just made, the Lady had sent out a 'fleet' of row boats and dinghies in the middle of the night. In an impressive move these men were not only able to capture nearly twenty ships, but among those was the Lady Baenys Velaryon herself. Her dragon she had for some reason left back on Driftmark, likely because the creature was still only a baby still.

With her execution and the death of Lord Rosby only a few days previous brought an abrupt end to the war for placing the Velaryon's on the throne. The conflict itself though would not end as Lord Gerold Arryn refused to bend the knee to King Duncan Targaryen. Thankfully, Lord Tully did and so Lord Commander Griffith Goode would be sent north with the combined forces of the Crown, Rosby, and Tully forces. Soldiers who only days before were killing each other were now united under a single army. But before he left north there was still the matter of the fact that there was only four members of the Kingsguard still living for neither of the two previous Lord Commander's death had brought in a new man nor had they replaced Royce Connington who had been one of the few soldiers to die in the night raid. With very few allies, the King chose two sell-swords who had protected him in the previous raid, Sers Erren and Kenric as well as a young adventuring soldier from among the mercenaries he had hired by the name of Harys Warrick who was from the North.

Now with a full compliment of guards, Lord Commander Goode felt more comfortable leaving the Capitol to bring war into the mountains of the Vale. Numbering nearly eighteen thousand men this army of his was more than enough to push along the southern coast of the Vale capturing one keep after another all the way to Gulltown. The Eyrie maybe the seat of power, but Gulltown controlled the trade to and from this mountainous region. Without it and the Riverlands no longer their allies, the Lord Commander could ensure that the region would be forced to come to terms.

This campaign of his took nearly two years, but in the end the Lord Arryn surrendered himself to the Lord Commander and accompanied him to King's Landing. Within the Red Keep the Lord Arryn made an offer to the King. He would surrender peacefully and march down to his dungeons if his champion failed him in a Trial of Combat. However, if his champion won then the Vale would be returned to the Seven Kingdoms and no ill will would be held towards either them or the Arryn family. Seeing that this would bring an end to the conflict either way the King accepted naming Ser Erren as his champion to face Ser Aethon Stone who was believed to be a dragonseed to King Maelor I. Even if the man was not dragonseed, he did have the look and Griffith Goode would later say that he reminded him of King Aegon, who he had seen once during his youth. The bout only took a handful of seconds before the two began their trip back north to the Vale.

Horton Lannister would pass the day after the coming of the year 62AC. Having seen the power of dragonseed and Valyrian blood firsthand, King Duncan ordered his Lord Commander to find him two replacements who could match Ser Aethon's skill. Obviously, Ser Aethon was approached first, but the man enjoyed the company of women far too much to give them up. Instead, Pate Scales and Rolland Tartigar would be chosen from the islands of Dragonstone and Driftmark respectively. This would be the final act of the Lord Commander though as this hunt took more out of him than he had expected and would pass away moments after his return to King's Landing. One moment he had sat down to rest and the next his life had come to an end.

Rulers he Served
Baelon I Targaryen 2-6AC, Rhaenys I Targaryen 6-34AC, Baelon I Targaryen 34-36AC, Maelor I Targaryen 36-54AC, Duncan I Targaryen 54-62AC

Royce Connington, Horton Lannister, Ser Erren​

• 1Like
Reactions:
Duncan should choose knights from the great families. This could prevent them to revolt.

True, however, each time a new Kingsguard died it always seemed there was a civil war going on during his reign. I am not sure if that messes with the mechanics of choosing a member or not.

Was thinking of my next AAR after this one since the story will be over before the end of the month. Originally, I had planned on doing a Velaryon AAR. A simple, loyal followers of the Targaryen family from Aegon through the lines. Only issue was that being a simple Lord meant that no matter what, even if one of them tamed a dragon, the Targaryens refused all marriage proposals because they were 'too low rank'. I started another playthrough but this time after the war was won I had Aegon give the High Lordship of Dragonstone given to the Velaryons and Harrenhal was made the heirs territory.

This did not work out either as Aegon was now a 'Pretender' for the High Lordship and even when I removed his claim he would simply demand me to give it up to him or just outright arrest or declare war on me. Which really sucked because up until that moment the Velaryon family story was amazing. Daemon Velaryon during the Conquest killed Argilac, Mern Gardener, and Loren Lannister in a duel before being cut down by Nymor Martell. Aethan Velaryon would end up facing off against Joffrey Dayne killing him in the final battle of the war. Aethan's son Daemon would be sent to train under Lord Commander Corlys Velaryon of the Kingsguard and by the age of 9 was already a Master Warrior. At 13 he was given and hatched a baby dragon given to him from Meraxes. While this is all going on, Aethan's wife ended up having an affair with his Master at Arms and so were both arrested. She called for a Trial by Combat and had her brother Tristan Massey stand for her. He would be killed and both Aethan's wife and her lover would be executed by Aethan Velaryon. Three days later, Aegon demanded I give him Dragonstone and then Driftmark thus leaving me without a title except that of a barony and ending the game.

Rolland Tartigar, Lord Commander from 62-67 AC
Rolland Tartigar
Lord Commander of the Kingsguard,
Advisor to King Maelor II

The day following Lord Commander Griffith's death saw the return of the newest Kingsguard, Rolland Tartigar of Driftmark. No one knew where he had disappeared to and there were even some rumors already spreading that he had taken part in the late Lord Commander's end. It quickly became apparent what he had gone off to do when suddenly a young dragon appeared with a white cloak individual atop its back. In an attempt to ensure his place within this new order, Rolland had tamed Laehurlion the child of the former wild dragon, Volgavys who had been born of Vhagar.

Being only the second dragon rider of the Kingsguard and the kingdom in desperate need of this power, King Duncan named the new Kingsguard to replace Griffith Goode. Though Rolland was new the Kingsguard, he was not new to life as he was well into his fifties by the time of taking up the white cloak. Bastard born, there was many stories on who his parents were. Some say he was the bastard child of King Aegon, but that did not add up since the King was long dead upon his birth. One thing that most agreed on was that he likely was a Velaryon bastard since his own coat of arms was exactly as the Driftmark sigil save that his seahorse was black on gold, which was certainly an odd choice of colors. The most likely candidate to be his father was the late Lord Aethan Velaryon who had a number of bastards, among these was Daeoril Waters who had tamed Volgavys after the last war ended.

Rolland is actually the bastard child of Orys Baratheon and Monica Velaryon.

Daeoril 'Waters' Velaryon is the bastard child of Aethan Velaryon and his son Daemon's wife. Daemon would be cut down in a Trial of Combat with his own father. Baenys Velaryon who was executed in the last chapter was Daemon's daughter.

Rolland's time as Lord Commander is most notably known as the 'Changing of the Guard'. In just the first year as Lord Commander, Robin Yronwood and Theo Swygert both died of a minor illness. While Ser Kenric fell at the Tourney of Dalston Keep. Sers Quentin Dunn, Arthor Ball, Joffery Royce, and Waltyr Waynwood would all take up the cloaks of the missing men. Save for the Lord Commander himself, this was the youngest Kingsguard in history with only Rolland and Arthor being older than thirty.

Word soon came to the King that Gerold Arryn was once more planning an attempt to shift away from the crown's laws. Upon ordering the Lord of the Vale to step in line, the return message came that once more the Arryns would not bow to the will of the Targaryens. Two other lands also sent letters to King's Landing in regards to no longer following the King's will. House Velaryon of Driftmark would follow 'King' Arryn but the Iron Islands would now follow their own newly selected King, Donnel Drumm.

Fearing the power of the dragons, King Duncan sent the Lord Commander to subdue Driftmark while he moved his soldiers north into the Trident. Word had come that Donnel Drumm had landed in Seagard and began marching south with over twenty thousand men.

Rolland flew east fearing this standoff with Daeoril and Volgavys. The dragon was older and larger than his own, and likely would not end well for him. Thankfully, upon his arrival there was a great fog that had blown in across the region. Using this to his advantage, Rolland made quick darting strikes on the larger and more easily visible dragon. These two faced each other for nearly an hour before Daeoril and her dragon were sent plummeting into the Narrow Sea. Though he had won the fight, Rolland was still seriously burned in the battle as Volgavys grew enraged by the hit and run strikes against it.

Needing time to rest and recover from his wounds, Rolland returned to King's Landing. He would later learn that the battle between the crown and the Ironborn ended with a duel between Blackfyre and Red Rain. These two Valyrian steel blades crossed each other for but a few moments before the King lay dead amongst the many corpses that day. The King's one year old son would be crowned King Maelor II that night. Rolland would be named one of the King's advisors and tutors. Lord Arryn too would have a place on this council when he surrendered his crown and caught the Ironborn unaware from behind. Saving the few living Targaryens in King's Landing from whatever fate lay ahead for them.

Word even came that the Kingslayer, Donnel Drumm, had been captured and was being brought to answer for his crimes. Rolland would not get the chance to see this as he would pass away from his burns not long after taking his new position. His dragon would never take another rider, living out most of its days perched atop one of the many walls to this city.

Rulers he Served
Duncan I Targaryen, Maelor II Targaryen

Robin Yronwood, Theo Swygert, Ser Kenric​

• 1Like
Reactions:
Arthor Ball, Lord Commander in 67 AC
Arthor Ball

Now the eldest member of the Kingsguard, Arthor Ball was chosen to serve as the newest leader of the Kingsguard for the time being. With a Child-King once more and only a few minor nobles within the Capitol, the Kingsguards themselves chose to name Ball their new leader, at least until Lady Baratheon arrived from the south to serve as Regent of the Seven Kingdoms.

She would appear the day before Lord Arryn and his host of soldiers with Donnel Drumm in chains. The Lord Arryn would only stay for less than a week as it became quite apparent to everybody that he had hoped to use his sudden shift in allegiance and capturing of the traitor Drumm to vie for power within the Capitol. However, the Lady Baratheon ensured that would not happen.

The same day in which the Lord Arryn left, Donnel Drumm's Trial of Combat would commence. He would fight with Red Rain against Lord Commander Ball. With a sidestep and a single thrust, Red Rain ended the career of the shortest reigning Lord Commander.

Rulers he Served
Duncan I Targaryen, Maelor II Targaryen

None​

• 2Like
Reactions: