• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fb-fb:

Looking forward to the next one!
Great to hear! You won't have long to wait, I promise.

He may not have raged against it, more accepted or even demanded it, but the light certainly was dimmed! If that too was metaphor, then it was powerfully applied. Perhaps his last moments of lucidity before finally surrendering?

I will join the others so far in their comments on Oscytel: the craven trait probably has something to do with it, but that prestige is in the sub-sub basement! :eek: I’m sure that won’t play well, especially when the son is compared and found so obviously lacking to the father. And brothers. And pretty much any pretender who still has a claim.

“This craven laughing stock from Germany is no fit king for anyone, let alone for England, and certainly not for me!” One can hear the self-interested lines already forming in the minds of ambitious challengers - whether of his authority or of his very right to the crown. A heavy crown, about to be passed to one without the strength in his spine to bear it up. :oops: This should be interesting. If he can rise to it, it would make a great tale. And if not, a rollicking one. Into the breach we go ... :D
I am definitely thinking of the King losing more and more as he moves on. He definitely continues to get worse. And yes, not only is Oscytel craven, too studious and priestly but also has that very low prestige. You'd think he might have done better after fighting his mother's wars for her but it appears as though she is losing so perhaps that it part of it.

I do hope whichever way it goes it ends up being both great and rollicking...and perhaps a few other words as well. :D

Hadn't even noticed that-terrible
Right? What happened to the dude?

I must say I'm honored that you hold me in such high esteem, coz :) Rest assured that my occasional absences have never been due to any lapse of quality on your part.

Uhtræd's advancing infirmity and Eadward's alarmed protests really struck a chord with me because I've had to witness similar things happening to a few close members of my family in the past :( I really feel for Eadward in this scene. If there is any silver lining that can be seen here, it comes from Uhtræd's own temperament. Despite the fact that he's letting go, I don't get the impression that he's given into despair; rather, he has the air of one who has made peace with the fact that his time has finally come at last.

My thoughts on Oscytel haven't changed much. I really do get the impression of a man who is slightly uncomfortable with the outside world in general, and thus tends to cloister himself away in some bolthole where he can be alone with his own thoughts. That said, I don't think he'd be that bad a king in a time of peace, stability, and smooth successions -- which, unfortunately, is probably still a bit of a ways off.

And finally, hope you enjoy your vacation!
Not that I have featured too much of Oscytel, but part of my thinking on him is very much in line with my thoughts on the real Henry VI of England. That is not to say that their stories will be similar but that I believe their temperaments to be similar. And indeed, it is a tough time for both of the brother's but they each must maintain a level head at this moment. Uhtræd must do what he thinks best for the realm and now the roles are reversed where Eadward must be the one to step up and do his duty.

Finally, your comments always have an extra level to them and I so enjoy it. And think you. As long as I can avoid hitting any trees or rocks, I should have fun. :)

It’s finished. I knew the day would come, yes even imminent, but now I feel empty. Your story is really a gem of these forums, my friend. I look forward to the third book!
Thankfully, you will not need to feel empty for very long as I have a surprise coming. :D And I thank you for that very nice compliment. I have so enjoyed writing it.

Interesting that the King didn't die at the end...
Incapability usually means three days of regency and then the PC dies. In this case, how destructive to the realm would it be if not only the heir rejects and unwillingly comes to England but also the regent and the old king linger on as well, causing chaos and confusion as to who the actual ruler of England is (even more than there would be anyway)? I suppose the king can do nothing now but die quickly and cleanly so that the problems of him lingering on half alive don't add to the already unstable situation in the realm. Hmm...

This has been a rather different story to The Rightful King. In most respects it is the darker middle chapter where nothing has been resolved and in most places gotten worse, even as time has gone on and the kingdom as a whole has grown more powerful. The weakness of the Crown atop a powerful kingdom with hands in Wales, England and France is going to be the sticking point of the next book.

For it is indeed a heavy crown that sits atop the head of a lacklustre monarch. England may be a growing power in the world but who will succeed in harnessing her towards their own ends?
Indeed it is the darker middle chapter. Where in Rightful King, it ended with a sad death but one thought a strong Uhtræd might return to save the day. This one ends on a much lower note, and not with a King's death but rather a very uncertain future where the whole enterprise might blow up in their face. I specifically chose to do it that way and it will be clearer as we move forward (though perhaps not for a bit just yet.)

And you may be surprised how long Uhtræd lives with his affliction. I have some few things cooked up that I am excited about so I hope it works.

To all - Once more, many excellent comments! I knew that you would have them and I thank you as always. And you are all in luck, for a mentioned a surprise...for a couple of reasons, I have decided to go ahead and get the new one off the ground today. One, I am excited about it. And two, I want to get at least three scenes out there before I leave because that third one was as a surprise to me as I believe it will be to you. You'll have to wait until Sunday for that, but for now...head on over and check out Part III...

I get busy for a few days and suddenly madness breaks out in the House of Wessex. Uhtræd goes incapable, which may not be death but it may as well be. You don't last long with it. Just time to get the affairs in order before... well... chaos. But then again, that can be time well spent. After all, you know it's coming, so you can stockpile money for mercs, plot to deal with powerful enemies, etc.

But we'll see what happens. Eadward has much on his plate. I still believe he would be a fine king - perhaps greater than his brother. And given the last line, perhaps this has been his tale after all.

And I'm honored to comment on your story! As the one who inspired me, it's the least I could do. (I just feel bad you mentioned me in your special shoutout and I don't respond for a while. Timing is everything, I guess)

And now, time to head over to the Heavy Crown!

I've been forced to catch up, but I must say coz, trilogy...at minium... Count me in! :cool:

And I miss you @The Number 9 - you followed me over here and it appears that I have lost you. Shame that, as I truly love your comments.

Hi, Coz !
I just finished this AAR (don't ask me how many chapters I just read, I stopped counting hours ago :p ). Every chapter I said to myself "maybe I will be just in time for the ending". It seemed that I failed.

Great AAR, it was a pleasant read. I'm really sorry I was not able to comment on a more regular basis, I just "forgot" to come on the Paradox forums for months.
Count me for the 3rd book (in a few days, I'll try to catch up all the others AARs before :p ). And I'll probably more active (I know, I already said that the last time... :) ).

Congrats @coz1 for this magnificent AAR.

Fb-fb:

I get busy for a few days and suddenly madness breaks out in the House of Wessex. Uhtræd goes incapable, which may not be death but it may as well be. You don't last long with it. Just time to get the affairs in order before... well... chaos. But then again, that can be time well spent. After all, you know it's coming, so you can stockpile money for mercs, plot to deal with powerful enemies, etc.

But we'll see what happens. Eadward has much on his plate. I still believe he would be a fine king - perhaps greater than his brother. And given the last line, perhaps this has been his tale after all.

And I'm honored to comment on your story! As the one who inspired me, it's the least I could do. (I just feel bad you mentioned me in your special shoutout and I don't respond for a while. Timing is everything, I guess)

And now, time to head over to the Heavy Crown!
Glad that you jumped over! Worry not over the timing. I am just happy to keep some readAARs. :)

I've been forced to catch up, but I must say coz, trilogy...at minium... Count me in! :cool:
I am working towards a trilogy but I cannot promise more. @Director suggests to finish it after this last and I am inclined to agree with him, as much as I like the characters. Of course...they will not all last. ;)

Hi, Coz !
I just finished this AAR (don't ask me how many chapters I just read, I stopped counting hours ago :p ). Every chapter I said to myself "maybe I will be just in time for the ending". It seemed that I failed.

Great AAR, it was a pleasant read. I'm really sorry I was not able to comment on a more regular basis, I just "forgot" to come on the Paradox forums for months.
Count me for the 3rd book (in a few days, I'll try to catch up all the others AARs before :p ). And I'll probably more active (I know, I already said that the last time... :) ).

Congrats @coz1 for this magnificent AAR.
I comment on this now to respond to your post. A steadfast reader from very early on, I value each and every comment you make (even when you are suspect of my characters. :p) It is wonderful to see you catch up to current and take as much time as you need to get to the new work. One or many, your words mean so much. Thank you for your continued following of this tale.

And to all - if you have not followed over...move to The Heavy Crown. It is cooking! :D

Technically I am catching up with you. When I finished The Rightful King I was 30 pages behind The Bold Prince. Now I've finished this quite excellent book I'm only 20 pages behind The Heavy Crown. Progress!

At this rate when I finish that I should only be 10 pages behind Book IV and will have finally caught up by Book V. I'm putting my guess in now for the title of Book IV; The Vengeful Sword, it will be the tale of Uhtræd's daughter Hextilda and her rise to depose her inept and craven German half-brother and become Queen, with Beorhtmaer as the increasingly unstable leader of her armies and Edward in a never properly explained éminence grise role. The uncertainty as to what the title refers to will come from the questions of what exactly is being avenged by whom and why.

Well, the good and bad news is that Book 3 will be the end of it so you should have time to catch up before I take off in a new direction, however...your suggestion for a book 4 title is quite good and now makes me reconsider. ;)

Thank you so much for reading through all of this now admittedly long work, @El Pip and I hope it continues to bring some enjoyment. I know that I have had some great fun in the writing of it. :)

Very much looking forward to your catching up to current in The Heavy Crown. Thank you again!

Coz1 thank you for your kind comments sir and WHY lord I thought I was all caught up and ready to go but then I find this. Nonetheless, it's been a wonderful read. I'm around 1112 so yeah Uhtræds eldest donsen't quite meet the expectation. Try again with the second one id say. But I think his culture was German one would hope he gets the culture change event. Robert shouldn't give you much trouble me thinks. But that 13k stack does look menacing.

uh there goes Mercia. I won't question you my lord since this is all said and done but I know not why you give the second one back to his mother she already made a coward priest of the elder one, and she will ruin the younger one too and England with him and the follies of youth to gun for the throne at 16 rather than be assured of it twenty years down the line.

@Arenston6: All I can really say to you without spoilers is "Reader, read on" ;) Oscytel does indeed end up at the center of a rather contentious matter later on, though it doesn't truly resolve itself until about the third book.

Last edited: