• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 7: Food For The Ill
Chapter 7: Food For The Ill

A young woman offered her prayers at the stupa, purified herself in the waters of Lake Mapam Yumtso, wrapped herself in a simple red robe, and climbed the path to the temple at the base of the Ti Tse. The monks met her at the door, checked her for anything other than herself, combed her hair, and bade her enter. She climbed the stairs leading up the temple, past prayer flags and chanting priests, until reaching a simple straw mat before a large red curtain. Gotsang Yid, Attendant to the King, stood before the curtain, resplendent in her armor and sheathed sword at her side--the only weapon allowed in the temple.

"Bow down to meet the King On Earth," Yid instructed.

The traveler prostrated herself on the mat, as she had been instructed. She heard a rustling.

"You may rise."

She looked up, and the face of Gotsang Gekhö, the King On Earth, gazed down upon her. He sat crosslegged on a silken mat, upon a raised platform. His hair and slender mustache, long and straight, fell evenly well past his shoulders. His robes were a purest white. The Scepter of Tranquility, the walking stick that had turned to gold, was held gently in fingers looking nearly otherworldly from the length of their nails.

"You are Qangmo Gyimsheng, sister to Drigum, High Chief of Sumparu. I knew your mother Amala when she ruled. You are most welcome to the Kingdom of Zhangzhung."

"Yes... I came as soon as you requested my presence."

"Indeed, my child. You are most welcome here. I do have the most sacred role for you. You are welcome to stay here and your new role will become clear through meditation."

"No? What do you mean, no?"

"Likmikya is my son, and he'll marry who I choose, not you!"

Gekhö and Dzomo stared at each other, defiant.

"He's 22! Are you waiting for his wife to just descend from Tagzig Olmo Lung Ring on the back of a Garuda?"

"Maybe. Or maybe I just want to make sure the decision is mine."

"Gyimsheng is the heir to Sumparu! She's a perfectly suitable wife!"

"And my son is my spymaster. I can't just have him run off when her brother Drigum suddenly dies mysteriously!"

"Even when your grandchild would be the next heir of Sumparu?"

Dzomo grimaced. "Listen to you! You didn't even react to my suggestion of a plot to kill Drigum in the first place!"

"We cannot question the ways of the Four Transcendent Lords."

"And you cannot question me regarding my son. Likmikya will not marry Gyimsheng."

"...What am I going to tell her, then? That she left her home and joined my court to just sit around?"

"She can be Likmikya's concubine."

"But she'll lose the right to be the next High Chief!"

"That's my offer. Take it or leave it."

"I'll take it. Their child will still have a claim on Sumparu."

960.1.11-Likmikya.png

The deal with Gyimsheng concluded, Gekhö and Dzomo spoke with the Council of Zhangzhung. After recent deaths and shuffles, the Council was very nearly all family.

upload_2020-2-4_22-44-18.png

Gekhö placed his children Lokpai and Yid, and their mother Özlem among the inner circle, as with Kïlïç, husband to Gekhö and Dzomo's much younger sister Kering. Only Nechemiah of Castle Rising remained the only non-family member.

Dzomo shakes her head. "There are still plenty who will not recognize Gekhö as the King On Earth, and continue to place their faith in the old ways. In addition, the invading faith remains strong throughout Tibet."

upload_2020-2-4_23-23-4.png

"We must continue to push the tide back as we can. Özlem?"

"No one is plotting against you, and I shall be free to duel my next target."

"Best of luck. Lokpai?"

"The trade route through Khotan has been shattered by Karakhanid rebels. Puhrang remains intact."

"We'll have to address that later. Kïlïç?"

"The Karakhanids have been sent to the four winds. Clan Chigil reigns supreme!"

"Your brethren are extremely brave and powerful. Are you planning the preparations for invasion?"

"You continue to hope for Punjab?"

Gekhö stroked his mustache. "I do. We must follow the waters of the Ti Tse to the ocean."

Özlem laughed. "You never sounded like this before your little pilgrimage! Don't just meditate, do come out more often, smell the mountain air, not just the incense!"

"The pilgrimage changed the world," the King On Earth replied. "But I will join you outside. Nechemiah?"

"Nearly all of Guge will be yours, King. Just the last bit of Ngari needs proof in the scripture."

"Then we are dismissed."

Özlem left for her duel, and...

upload_2020-2-4_23-36-33.png

Gekhö never seemed quite able to deal with the loss. Dagmo was his wife, but Özlem had been his constant companion, the mother of his children, the one shining spark who could always break him out of his shell. But now, Gekhö spent weeks, months in meditation and fasting.

upload_2020-2-4_23-40-50.png

Dzomo met first with Lokpai and Yid, then with Kering and Kïlïç. "Gekhö... He's been growing more and more distant as of late. I wonder if he isn't embracing the role of the enlightened warrior-monk too strongly."

Yid spoke up. "No, no warrior. Just monk. I think the incense is getting to him. But I'm ready to lead in his stead."

Dzomo added, "But what about Punjab? He's in no shape to prepare an invasion for a place so large!"

"We could take Guge that way. See who's willing to join up."

"Isn't that strange man Nechemiah doing something for him in Guge?"

"Who knows? Let's just get the word out. We need to do something for him before he gets worse. Maybe people will come if we just tell them that it's time to take Guge."

961.11.20-invasion.png

The truce had not yet ended when Zhangzhung announced its invasion of Guge. Perhaps it was for this reason that no additional troops arrived, but regardless, the truce ended, the invasion began, and the war started.

Throughout this time, Gekhö became increasingly unavailable, harder to find, harder to reach, harder to understand. Yet the soldiers told stories of how he would arrive in their dreams, to give them military advice. Blows went back and forth, but the soldiers of Zhangzhung never faltered. Yeshe Öd, Gyalpo of Guge, made one last push into Puhrang, hoping that taking back the sacred mountain would break Gekhö's hold on the people.

But in that battle, the King On Earth, having sat and chanted for months, stood. He descended the stairs of his temple, walked outside wearing nothing more than his white robe. He joined his men and walked ahead into the valley to meet the Gugese. Arrows were fired in multitudes at him; none found purchase. Swords hacked at him; none connected with his frail body. Gotsang Gekhö walked unarmed into the camp of the enemy, and captured the Gugese king.

964.1.25-gugecaptured.png

Yeshe Öd agreed that the lands belonged to Zhangzhung, and that he would swear fealty to the King On Earth, if he could have his freedom. Gotsang Gekhö whispered to him, "You are free," and stabbed him in sacrifice to Sangpo Bumtri.

As Yeshe Öd breathed his last, he replied, "Please, let this be enough to feed this sick monster."

964.2.25-asitshouldbe.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well that is a nice chunk of territory. Almost time to descend from the plateau to the plains

Do you have gender-equal succession? It was sad to see Ozlem go. It's odd to see a craven character being so eager to duel.
I think she only turned craven at the end. She didn't start out craven, that's for sure. The uncertainty might have done her in.

ETA: The present succession system is a horrible Absolute Cognatic Gavelkind. Thankfully, Gekhö has only had two children and holds only one title of his primary rank.

Last edited:
Well that is a nice chunk of territory. Almost time to descend from the plateau to the plains
Indeed! Although Gekhö has a preternatural ability to stay on, it seems...

Chapter 8: Castle Rising
Chapter 8: Castle Rising
Yondagmo carefully watched her step as she carried the latest bundle of scrolls up the stairs to Nechemiah's office. He stood, hunched over a wide desk covered with ancient writing. He winced, doubled over slightly. As the door to his study closed, he straightened up.

"Ah, Yondagmo, good to see you. Please, place the new terma on the left side. I'm done with the ones on the right."

She dutifully placed the scrolls down, looked the desk over, and the tray to its side. "You haven't touched your meal. Is it all right? Yak and cabbage, no cheese, no blood sausage, that is correct?"

Nechemiah glanced back at the stuffed bread, having grown cold. "Yes, it's correct. I'm just not hungry today. I've been looking over these scrolls. Trying to find the right passage. Tibetan documents are very different from the ones I'm used to back where I'm from, originally."

"How are they different?"

"They're explained like laws, defining relationships between land and people, who owns them, who controls them, who has the right. Most times, it comes from tracing families. Most importantly, the church's holdings are very specifically delineated. Here, though, owning and controlling the land flows even more directly from the church, so a family connection isn't good enough."

"Gekhö is King! Isn't that enough?"

"Gekhö is King. But he's already King. The rulers of Guge have been forced to submit to him, as they should. But that, by itself, does not mean their lands are his. Now, yes, most of them are supposed to be his, I've tracked that down." Nechemiah pulled out a few specific scrolls. "Kyunglung is the historic capital of Zhangzhung, the people are Zhanghzhung, and they already recognize Gekhö's right to lead them. Puhrang is his already. Gê Gyai and Tsaparang, they belong to the one chosen by Sangpo Bumtri to deliver wisdom from Tagzig Olmo Lung Ring, and that's Gekhö. But Gar? That's the last piece, a bit too far north. It operates by the Ngari school. Gekhö is still considered King of Ngari, but once again, being king is insufficient. He ruled the tribes, and Gar holds the city."

"And how did the city begin? It wasn't there 18,000 years ago, was it?"

Nechemiah thought a moment. "Yondagmo, you know how to ask questions."

* * * * *​

Nechemiah knelt down before Gekhö, presenting one final ancient scroll from the libraries in Rutog. He did not wear the red robes of all others who met the King On Earth, but this was accepted, as he was from far away, with a much different faith. "My King, we have the final passage you have requested. Gar was founded by the tribes arriving from the east 2,000 years ago. The tribes therefore belong to the King of Ngari, and by extension, through a commitment to demonstrate the longstanding right to occupy the plain, they are still tribes of Ngari. Thus, Gar is rightfully yours.

Gekhö nodded slowly, incense rising in curling wisps from his hair. "My dear servant Nechemiah, you have done well. Let the rulers of Old Guge know that their lands now shall be run from the Ti Tse, and that they are to rejoice in their freedom from their responsibilities."

Gê Gyai was vacated willingly, but the Purgyal child daughter of Tsaparang and Gar, and the Buddhist controller of Kyunglung, refused to submit to the King On Earth, and rebelled.

965.7.23-revolt.png

And yes, as all must, the Buddhist insurrection could not face the will of the Four Transcendent Lords, and were swept aside in an instant, their lands forfeit, their bodies burned.

But the traitors did not constitute the only casualties during this time. The pains in Nechemiah's belly rendered him bedridden. His time short, he asked if he could see the King On Earth one last time. Some considered it a selfish request, but Gekhö happily granted it.

Gekhö glided into the room where Nechemiah lay. The window to the west was uncovered, allowing a breeze and reddening sunset light into the room.

Nechemiah looked up from his deathbed. "My King, you came! This makes me so happy. I never expected you to have the time to come see some old sick foreigner."

Gekhö smiled. "Of course I would come, my servant. You have given your life to ensuring the sanctity of Bön and of the Four Transcendent Lords throughout the Kingdom of Zhangzhung and beyond. You gave up your life from your homelands to serve."

Nechemiah stifled a weak laugh. "I never really did live in my homelands. I came because you paid well. I've still got the golden seal you sent that first time you wanted to talk."

"Is that so? Is Castle Rising not your homeland?"

"No, not really. It's where I grew up, but it's not where my people are from. Most of us are scattered to the four winds. Just... I don't know if any of them have made it and settled as far east as I have. Ha, even that shield I use is not truly my family's. It's the shield of Castle Rising, but my family did not have a proper crest. This one has boars on it. We would never use boars."

"Where is Castle Rising, anyway?"

"Oh, goodness, far away. It's on an island past the western edge of the continent, in England."

Gekhö stared in interest. "England? My father used to talk about England. A place he needed to reach."

"Would this be about the Uffington Horse?"

"The White Mountain Horse?"

"Yes, the one on your family crest. It's carved into the side of a mountain in England, and outlined in chalk."

"As I watch the sun set, I hear the horse, calling in the distance."

Nechemiah winced terribly, pulling himself into a seated position with every last bit of his strength. "My entire life, I never knew precisely why I felt the need to move so far away from everyone and everything I have ever known. Well, no. I did it for the money. But money doesn't really mean anything in the end, does it? So it had to be for something else. Something that gave me reason to be here, to stay here. Listen, I won't be here long. I've raised my daughter Pultzelina in my faith, but the truth is, her mother isn't Jewish, so she's not really of the tribe. I don't really have one here."

"Nechemiah, you have always been a part of the Zhangzhung since you arrived."

"I am, aren't I? Then I suppose I should before I can't, anymore. Especially since I haven't seen a rabbi around here for decades. My King, you are the King On Earth, and I wish to submit myself to Sangpo Bumtri and be part of the Zhangzhung."

Gekhö smiled. "You are welcome, Nechemiah of Castle Rising. You are forever part of the Zhangzhung."

"Make sure Pultzelina is okay? Don't let her end up just another of Lokpai's lovers?"

The two men laughed. Gekhö's son had been collecting concubines like a bird collects grass for a nest. They watched as the sun's long crimson rays spread across the horizon.

"Find the White Mountain Horse, my King. Bring your faith to the land. They need it."

"I will also need a new chancellor."

"Yondagmo figured out how to claim Gar. She should serve you well."

"This most recent member of the Zhangzhung remains as demanding as ever."

"Hey, I said I'd follow you, not that I'd stop being myself."

Gekhö laughed, sat on the bed, and embraced his long-lasting servant once last time, letting Nechemiah know the King's love and mercy as he passed.

upload_2020-2-8_22-47-3.png

Nechemiah died and Yondagmo took his place on the council. Gekhö's young sister Kering worked with her husband from the Chigil Khaganate to rout the remaining Buddhists in the Duchy of Khotan, including the breakaway Tocharian states of Cadota and Cherchen. The lessons of Gar in mind, the revolt was squelched and the tribes advised to settle. The battlements at the Ti Tse were strengthened and Mount Kailash was the home of the gods, and by extension the King On Earth.

No longer tribes, the castles of the Zhangzhung had risen.

968.8.27-Gekhö.png

Gekhö's vassals were all family. Kering held Khotan, Dzomo held Kashmir, and Lokpai held Ladakh.

upload_2020-2-8_23-57-41.png

upload_2020-2-8_23-58-33.png

upload_2020-2-8_23-59-3.png

The council, with the exception of Yondagmo, was family:

upload_2020-2-9_0-0-1.png

Gekhö's daughter Yid was the heir apparent, Advisor to the council, herald to the King On Earth, and wife of the Spymaster.

upload_2020-2-9_0-1-31.png

And as for Pultzelina, Gekhö was unsure of next steps. How best to protect her?

upload_2020-2-9_0-2-49.png

There remained far to go.

968.8.27-world.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
He's been quite busy

Only the King On Earth is fit to ride The White Mountain Horse. All shall pass as the Four Transcendent Lords will.

...I always come out of reading this AAR reeking of incense. o_O

So, bad news. The game file was corrupted, and in my hubris, I made it Ironman and local, so there's no backup. So I'm going to have to end this AAR early. Just my luck. However, I do have enough to finish out Gekhö's reign, so I will be writing one more chapter sometime this week.

That's sad, I was looking forward to how it ended.

It's always sad when that happens.

A pity, but watching the rise of a Cult Leader was definitely fun! I suppose Gekho is the titular Bonnie Prince, then... or would be, if it weren't for the fact that GEKHO IS KING. :p