• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Session 9
Player Changes:
Histaxin (Ottomans) left and Luke (Ottomans) can’t be here for a while (unclear whether he’ll be returning later), so the Ottomans were subbed by Elcyion since they had already negotiated a NAP with Russia and thus there wasn’t much conflict of interest. Radioactive (Netherlands) left part way through the session, and it’s unclear whether the Netherlands will have a new perm.

International Bullying
As those of you who have been following along the stats may have noticed, I ended last session with around 100 cogs. At the start of this session, they quickly got to work ferrying French troops to the Levant (with the consent of and military access from the Ottomans), where they began a long trek to India. I quickly hit Land 27, and with the Ottomans confirming that he planned to take the offensive as soon as he hit Land 28 (new units), it was about time for some more expansion and a bit of international bullying.

The Ottomans declared war, and I simultaneously sent the Netherlands an ultimatum: sell me his European provinces for a few thousand ducats (an offer he had continuously rejected when it was offered without threats backing it), or I would take them for free with my 400,000 men in India. He knew he would be hard pressed to beat Ottomans let alone an Ottoman-French combined force, and immediately agreed to sell them the moment the war ended, thus ending a smooth and efficient operation.

On the domestic front, access to conscription centres caused my forcelimit to shoot upwards at record speeds, while another move towards Free Subjects and an associated Better Administration event (four times straight!) gave me a few thousand ducats’ free minting.
ppT1j1p.jpg

France’s borders after acquiring the Netherlands.

War in the East
While the capitulation of the Netherlands to my pressure, France was left with yet more time to develop its infrastructure and watch international events unfold. The rest of the world had no such interests, with yet another Italian invasion of Britain in the west and the continuing war between the Ottomans and the Austro-Dutch alliance. Britain looked doomed until mercenary Russian troops arrived to liberate the isles, and while the western front of the Ottoman Empire was quite static, things rapidly started looking very worrisome for the Dutch.
gnpTSva.jpg

A cute move from Elcyion seals the war; he didn’t have quite enough time to get a surround and force the Dutch army west, so he retreated his own army to the province they would have to go to before the Dutch could retreat and his reinforcing army re-engaged the Dutch, defeated them, and forced them west. By the time of this screenshot, the fate of the remains of the Dutch army was grim and inevitable.

Temporary World Peace
Austria realized the Netherlands’ situation was hopeless and white peaced since he couldn’t make headway, and with the Netherlands’ surrender soon after the world entered a rare state of peace. A move towards Innovative got me the Education Act and thus another move towards Innovative, bringing my sliders close to perfect. The Netherlands left the game shortly after, saying that at this point there was no real hope for them to recover more than a tiny amount of land as they were caught between the British, Russians, and Turks.
GPK5A6L.jpg

Less than 50 years to perfect sliders, even without events!

The entire world spent a few years cooling off and massing Conscription Centres, since by now everyone who cared had access to them. While little happened internationally, an heirless regency from Austria caused an amusing and temporary Spanish emperorship. At home, I reached Land 29 for a War College and switched back to a monarchy for “Say the state is me”, a decent France decision although unfortunately one that comes far too late for the associated slider moves to be useful.

Blood in the Streets in the Town of Constantinople
While I worked steadily towards Land 30, Government 30, and Production 31 (Grain Depot and Regimental System) and approached 500 forcelimit (double compared to the start of the session!), war in the east erupted yet again, once again initiated by the Ottomans. An initial push drove deep into Hungary and nearly reached Vienna despite Austria having a significant lead in generals, while Italy meanwhile was tied up fighting the British in yet another colonial war.

t3prVpP.jpg

The Turks advance, and with their fighting a combined Austro-Spanish-Italian army, the war looked oddly reminiscent of the historical situation at the time.

Unfortunately for them, their advance was not destined to succeed; with the end of yet another war with Britain, Italy was able to reinforce the warweary Austrian army and push the Ottomans to a more reasonable front. With that and with yet another 14 year regency for me, the session ended, and Austria looks to be in good shape given the Ottomans player next session is unlikely to be as good as Elcyion at warfare.

Stats and map
http://www.europa3.ru/cgi-bin/mpsta...e=int&season=comp-2013&game=XVI&yearsave=1626
hPfnpgN.png

The world in 1626.

Comments
Yet another peaceful session, but the clock is running out on the western European NAP. Both Russia and I may be capable of supporting as many as 1 million men, and with Prussia having gotten Prussian Military Reforms near the end of the session the next few decades should be interesting indeed.

Last edited:
There's barely any bloody AI nations left!!!

I find it interesting that all the human players who didn't focus heavily on land and therfore on Europe got kicked off the continent pretty sharpish.

Last edited:
Sad to hear about the Netherlands getting spanked so thoroughly, they're one of my historical favorites. I am curious about the war in the Balkans. Is it still going on? looking at the ledger, Ottomans has nearly twice as many troops as Austria (although they probably aren't all at the front, anyway), and notably higher discipline. What is the entire war? Are there any other combatants? If there aren't, the Ottomans might be in a position to take back some of their holdings. If the NAP between you and Austria expires soon... Things could get messy.

Sad to hear about the Netherlands getting spanked so thoroughly, they're one of my historical favorites. I am curious about the war in the Balkans. Is it still going on? looking at the ledger, Ottomans has nearly twice as many troops as Austria (although they probably aren't all at the front, anyway), and notably higher discipline. What is the entire war? Are there any other combatants? If there aren't, the Ottomans might be in a position to take back some of their holdings. If the NAP between you and Austria expires soon... Things could get messy.
Not sure if you loaded up the save or looked at the stats, but I wouldn't trust stats values like discipline, trade efficiency etc since it doesn't include a lot of modifiers. And yes, the war is still going on and Austria alone would've probably lost by now, but Italy is helping.

The OE and Austria are both out of manpower but Italy still has full MP. But unless I can defeat GB I cannot advance into the OE though I can help Austria defend his land, so assuming no one else joins Austria will almost certainly not be defeated. Though so far Austria hasn't needed any help, I sent 80k to join a couple of battles and siege down some Balkans stuff but only 40k remains in Greece. Apart from this Austria has fought alone. The Netherlands could recover quite easily if he rejoined since the OE cannot really resist an invasion from the east and fight Austria at the same time.

The OE and Austria are both out of manpower but Italy still has full MP. But unless I can defeat GB I cannot advance into the OE though I can help Austria defend his land, so assuming no one else joins Austria will almost certainly not be defeated. Though so far Austria hasn't needed any help, I sent 80k to join a couple of battles and siege down some Balkans stuff but only 40k remains in Greece. Apart from this Austria has fought alone. The Netherlands could recover quite easily if he rejoined since the OE cannot really resist an invasion from the east and fight Austria at the same time.

NL cant do much against ottomans more than draw out some armies.

NL got lt 22% and best general are shock 2 and he needs to push right trough mountain our jungle provinces.

I am curious about the war in the Balkans. Is it still going on? looking at the ledger, Ottomans has nearly twice as many troops as Austria (although they probably aren't all at the front, anyway), and notably higher discipline. What is the entire war? Are there any other combatants? If there aren't, the Ottomans might be in a position to take back some of their holdings. If the NAP between you and Austria expires soon... Things could get messy.

Austria got the generals and they are worth a lot.

People generally underestimate the importance of generals, just some battles from the Russian/GB vs Austria/Italy war where 80k Russian troops where able to stop 200k Italians blitzing trough England.

Code:
			battle=
			{
				name="Fife"
				location=250
				result=no
				attacker=
				{
					cavalry=1876
					infantry=80248
					losses=27337
					country="ITA"
					commander=""
				}
				defender=
				{
					cavalry=16915
					infantry=64975
					losses=4830
					country="GBR"
					commander="Stanislav Romodanovski"
				}
			}

Code:
			battle=
			{
				name="Lothian"
				location=248
				result=yes
				attacker=
				{
					infantry=70758
					losses=29852
					country="ITA"
					commander=""
				}
				defender=
				{
					cavalry=13869
					infantry=58183
					losses=10022
					country="RUS"
					commander="Stanislav Romodanovski"
				}
			}

The russian mercenary armies are home again from England and are looking for new jobs.

Yea a new update. Very good stuff lads. Cant wait for the mega war. Why doesnt otto hire the russian mercs

Yea a new update. Very good stuff lads. Cant wait for the mega war. Why doesnt otto hire the russian mercs

I was subbing OE and im usualy the Co Op for Russia it would have been a big conflict of interest to get russian help in any way

I was subbing OE and im usualy the Co Op for Russia it would have been a big conflict of interest to get russian help in any way

Pity, Austrias entire flank would of been exposed. the austrian heartland could of been blitz sieged. Taking a lot of his economic potential away.

Pewt was saying that you cant siege in mulitplayer but surly it will take like 100k inf to win an assault against a level 3 forts. And there will heavy losses. Is that correct. It kinda sounds too costly for it to be effective.

Pity, Austrias entire flank would of been exposed. the austrian heartland could of been blitz sieged. Taking a lot of his economic potential away.

Pewt was saying that you cant siege in mulitplayer but surly it will take like 100k inf to win an assault against a level 3 forts. And there will heavy losses. Is that correct. It kinda sounds too costly for it to be effective.
It doesn't take that many men nor are there very many casualties.