• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quite the blitzkrieg by Italy. Just wondering how could Castille overextend to a point where he can't defend Iberia.

Land tech and overextension into colonial investment could leave Castille a bit behind in theory.
Additionally, the OP states that Castille is fairly new to MP.
I've still not played much MP myself but I do remember that the first game I played I almost treated it as a cooperative extension of single-player(I was in a more typically neutral country but still).
Maybe Castille could've staggered out a defense better, only given away some land and asked for foreign intervention in time for the next war.

Thing to remember about MP is that human motivations drive the game; maybe Castille decided being booted out of Europe wouldn't hurt his enjoyment of the game.
In contrast to Pewt: I've seen a new player at the helm of France and deciding that he wants to concentrate on colonies.
Not the obvious decision clearly; as he ended up being destroyed from nearly every side.
But it's only the AI that ever really acts obvious in that they always want more if they can get it.
Humans do what they want, I've seen a terribly silly lack of aggression towards a weaker neighbor until they were equals. And a severe under-performance in a war between two out of three major powers, motivated by one's desire to almost give away his influence in order to make the third player's life harder.
The injection of a social element through multiplayer blurs singleplayer's logical(flawed or not) straightforward actions to some degree or another, no matter how little.

I suddenly went on a rant there, my apologies.

I don't want to be involved in anything that is going on between Prussia, Austria and France so hopefully I will be able to remain at peace in europe. At the moment im leaning slightly towards Austria since France does not seem happy that I took Spain while Austria does not seem to mind.
Austria doesn't have to worry about the fact that the way for you to connect your land involves an invasion of them, which is the main thing I'm a little nervous about right now. I'm definitely happy to keep not fighting you if I can expect the same, though; one or two consistent rivals is more than enough for now.

what is the next magical level? land 34?
Every time you hit a new unit is a big deal. The next magical level is sort of 27 in that you get Conscription Centres, but with them being so much weaker in 5.2 that's more of just a head start on boosting your forcelimits than anything (in 5.1 you quickly hit semi-infinite manpower with them, so starting a few years early could be an easy way to win wars for a bit). The next big race is once you hit Land tech 30 ahead of time penalties drop to 5 years instead of 10, allowing you to race way ahead. In The Greater Game 2 a while back as Italy, I hit Land 43 when everyone else was between 30 and 33, to give you an idea of how much easier it is to tech at that stage if you have good sliders, good income, and haven't overexpanded.

hmm ... Mughal have nearly unified India , Ming is expanding , the Ottomans are doing ... i dont' know what exactely, Hansa is more or less doomed.

Portugal is dropped or just absent?

As OE i usually prefer to stay small (30-40 provs) until westernization so i can better keep up techwise and westernizing itself isnt such a pain. I only take the provs around the black sea so i dont have to waste mags and only expand accordingly.

After westernizing i tend to go wild (being merc) and colonise most of the timmies towards india. Given the low Mughal tech/manpower and army size, they didnt put up any resistance when i dowed them for timmies provs they had occupied and took 5 of their own provs as well. Inheriting after westernizing fit into my plans quite perfectly as well.

Just compare the pics of 1501 and 1530 to see what im talking about.

Last edited:
Cool AAR, definetely makes me want to try MP. I didn't know the game experience was so much different. There's a huuge amount of blobbing. Please post more updates!

Cool AAR, definetely makes me want to try MP. I didn't know the game experience was so much different. There's a huuge amount of blobbing. Please post more updates!

Blobbing is an issue mostly becuse MP players are insane experts on how to kill AI as fast as possible

Well most maybe not Iwanow ofcourse

Last edited:
Session 6
Player Changes
Venice, Portugal, and Ming are all officially gone. Mughals was subbed this session, as was Spain.

The Long Peace, Reprise (Session Start—1545)
The session started as it ended, with the world more or less totally peaceful. Personally, I worked on finishing Regimental Camps and converting provinces to Protestant while burning the rest of my inflation. I teched towards Land (Land tech 23 gives excellent new units, and 22 gives a big increase in infantry Fire as well as cavalry Shock, and a new cavalry unit type) and towards Government (Government 22 gives a new NI, which I’d spend on Battlefield Commissions to counteract Austria’s choice of the same), and moved towards Centralization.

Italy approached me asking if I was interested in continuing our NAP until 1585, which I was all too happy to agree to given no end to my Austrian rivalry in sight. Soon after, he mounted yet another invasion of Great Britain, this time seizing some British land as vassals (initially Wales and Cornwall, although he traded them for Ireland later).
m1Bnwef.jpg

Britain falls once again to invading hordes.

The RNG was determined to help me catch up to Russia in our competition for most event-driven stability hits in a game, and gave me two back-to-back Monetary Reforms as well as a few other minor stability hits. Last session, Netherlands and I agreed to trade 400 ducats and some advice in exchange for a Javanese province for my East India Trading Company—by far the best, along with Taiwan, since they're the only 5 which can easily be your state's culture—and I took the opportunity to fulfill that agreement given my proximity to Naval 20, which I reached soon after.
8UkSr3G.jpg

Found Indian Trading Company is one of the most powerful decisions in the game.

As it turned out, the strife that started with Italy was the beginning of constant war throughout the session, next erupting in a war between Russia and the Netherlands over the division of China. While the war was fairly close, Russia prevailed and acquired most of China in the peace, while nearby the Mughals were soundly defeated by a much larger and higher tech Ottoman army. With another move towards Centralization, things were looking fairly good for France.

The Great Western War (1545—Session End [1552])
In February of 1545, Austria accidentally announced in public rather than private that an unnamed person (who was obviously Prussia, since Italy was NAPped) should prepare to declare war in July. I was thankful for the few months’ warning, giving me a chance to build up some men and regenerate the manpower in time for the DoW, not to mention turn up maintenance, organize generals, claim Defender of the Faith, hire a Discipline advisor, and move men towards the front. When Prussia and Austria DoWed they rushed forward, and I was initially left on the back foot due to the much superior Austrian generals; they had 4 shock, while I could recruit nothing better than 1 (except for my already-existing 2 shock king).
ctq2rtw.jpg

The war starts with some initial setbacks and occupied territory.

After about a year of fighting, I was able to recruit a 3 shock general and start to turn the war around. Prussia’s entire army got annihilated when I surrounded him after a victory against Austria’s main force, and I advanced into enemy territory. Austria refused to call in his vassals after losing the last two wars to warscore, so I declared war on Trier with no casus belli and annexed it; a steep price for infamy, but without any way to get military access from such a critical area it was a massive pool of attrition.

Finally, by 1548 I briefly took the lead in generals for the first time all game, hiring a 5 shock and a 4 shock to counter Austria’s various 4 shock generals. With a brief retreat to replenish my mostly depleted armies, my manpower plummeted but I was rewarded by the wipe of Prussia’s entire army once again as well as around 100,000 Austrians. A 6 shock general soon after made me very happy indeed.
QDPgy9Y.jpg

A new dawn begins; the dawn of semi-competent French leadership!

From here the war became somewhat of a back-and-forth. My annexation of Trier offended Austria and caused him to vow to fight on until victory or utter defeat, and with Prussia’s promise not to peace without Austrian consent, a grind became obviously inevitable. With no other major powers interested in joining in exchange for a bribe, I started playing more conservatively to account for my significant manpower deficit and Austria's new 5 and 6 shock generals. While I had hit rock bottom while Prussia was on around 300,000 manpower remaining and Austria with 150,000 (albeit with about as many troops combined as I had alone), I soon turned things around and my manpower started to slowly climb back up, wiping the occasional enemy army as the opportunity arose.

With 1552 approaching, and with it the end of the session, my 6 shock general decided to retire early, and with yet another Prussian army approaching things continued to crawl on. However, Austria made a few critical miscalculations towards the end of the session, and by the time the session was over, I found them with less men combined than I had alone, in a giant manpower comeback given the short time span.

2ux0xz6.jpg

Even as the session ended, battles raged on.

A quick conversation after the game indicated that they have agreed to not peace out until left with no alternative, and given my slow progress this war seem far from over. While they have been being torn apart of late, the death of my 6 shock general combined with their slow but steady approach towards even footing on Land tech will make the beginning of next session interesting indeed. Whatever the result, the ground is already bloody; 655,646 brave Frenchmen have given their lives to slay 1,007,001 evil Germans, and countless more on both sides have died of hunger and disease.

Stats and map
http://www.europa3.ru/cgi-bin/mpsta...e=int&season=comp-2013&game=XVI&yearsave=1552
5NCYlC3.png

The world in 1552.

Comments
Fighting a 2v1 war is hugely taxing given your opponents’ much higher attention span, and unfortunately I didn’t take very many screenshots. In addition, I can’t go into as much detail about my thoughts after the session as I’d like, given this information is public. Next session should be interesting!

For those of you who like saves, I have a save from 1549 from a rehost, to give you an idea of how grim the war looked midway through. Here it is.

Last edited:
If you scout out where the English fleet is (usually somewhere along the channel) and them come in opposite from that (say, Scotland) it's pretty easy to get away with it in the early game. But yeah, you basically just load up your forcelimit in cogs. You can also buy a bit more time by putting a galley in the seazone beside their fleet so that they have to fight it (which usually takes a while in the early game) before going after your cogs.

Absolutely. It isn't unreasonable for England to be outbuilt by someone who is trying seriously to do so in the early game. In fact, as Venice (an admittedly more naval-oriented country, but still a tiny one when compared to England) I usually have outbuilt England by the end of session 1.

Isn't it a viable strategy for England to place a literal Wooden Wall around the isles, with a single ship in each coastal province, in order to engage any potential cog drops? Even if a battle fleet is brought up to clear the path for the cogs, it should still give you time to sacrifice ships from adjacent sea zones to stop the landing until you can bring a serious fleet into action.

Nice AAR, btw.

Isn't it a viable strategy for England to place a literal Wooden Wall around the isles, with a single ship in each coastal province, in order to engage any potential cog drops? Even if a battle fleet is brought up to clear the path for the cogs, it should still give you time to sacrifice ships from adjacent sea zones to stop the landing until you can bring a serious fleet into action.

Nice AAR, btw.
Every strategy has compromises. That protects you from a cog drop, but means you will lose 10-20 ships for free against an actual naval opponent (and in the later game, even a cog dropper will have a big enough fleet to wipe those instantly). I suppose it depends on where you think the biggest threat is.

Looking at the map, it seems like Austria holds a few regions required for Prussia to form Germany. Is this general practice in MP games? I feel like the best Austrian choice is to sell them to Prussia ~50 years before LT 30 for Prussian Military Reforms that way Austria gets +1 base tax. Or is that too risky, with a new Germany possibly invading for cores? Additionally, the few MP games I have watched (don't have the time to commit to MP games during the school year) ended early. Is this almost universally true, or do competitive games last into the revolutionary war period?

Additionally, almost all of your interactions have been with Austria, Prussia, and to a lesser degree Netherlands and Italy. With Russia and the OE looking like they might fill up Asia before 1821, do you expect them to turn West anytime soon?

Looking at the map, it seems like Austria holds a few regions required for Prussia to form Germany. Is this general practice in MP games? I feel like the best Austrian choice is to sell them to Prussia ~50 years before LT 30 for Prussian Military Reforms that way Austria gets +1 base tax. Or is that too risky, with a new Germany possibly invading for cores? Additionally, the few MP games I have watched (don't have the time to commit to MP games during the school year) ended early. Is this almost universally true, or do competitive games last into the revolutionary war period?

Additionally, almost all of your interactions have been with Austria, Prussia, and to a lesser degree Netherlands and Italy. With Russia and the OE looking like they might fill up Asia before 1821, do you expect them to turn West anytime soon?
If OE and Russia are allowed to AI war like this there's really no reason for them to go elsewhere. As for Austria/Prussia, yeah, this is pretty standard and letting Prussia form Germany would usually be too risky.

Really enjoyed this update, the war still hangs in the balance - something you generally don't see in a single player game!

That Ottoman expansion into India is impressive, when the wars finish and things are a little less frenetic can you show us the national statistics page from the ledger?

Really enjoyed this update, the war still hangs in the balance - something you generally don't see in a single player game!

That Ottoman expansion into India is impressive, when the wars finish and things are a little less frenetic can you show us the national statistics page from the ledger?
Sure thing. I'll probably wait a few years after the war ends to screencap it since the incomes of Austria, Prussia, and I have all been somewhat nuked by this war. In the mean time, the stats list all those things (and many more).

Isn't it a viable strategy for England to place a literal Wooden Wall around the isles, with a single ship in each coastal province, in order to engage any potential cog drops? Even if a battle fleet is brought up to cleaeewr the path for the cogs, it should still give you time to sacrifice ships from adjacent sea zones to stop the landing until you can bring a serious fleet into action.

Nice AAR, btw.
italy had more ships than britain, so i dont think he cog dropped.

Nice work. You clearly are a god of EU 3. Pity Russia doesnt want its historiacla lands otherwise you could get him to turn west.

you should try to get an ally or another advantage. while france is rich and populous, germany and austria blobbing in the baltic and balkans with the possibility of a joint assualt and the prussian +25% discipline decision does not really look too good. an allaince with italy or russia seems your best possibility, but with proper naval advantage you could try to establish a full blockade of the adriatic and sond to mount naval behind the lines offensives. if you can get some spies to lift FOW you could gan yourself a incredible advatage as you get free shots at places liek danzig, lubeck and the like

Prussian-Russian relations are to good for France to be able to buy Russia