• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DukeWilleo1630

Grand Poobah
71 Badges
Oct 26, 2003
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
I'm pleased to announce my first EU3 AAR. I will be playing as the Crimean Khanate in the year 1453. The reasons for choosing the earliest starting date are many. Although being an Ottoman Vassal wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, the inability to declare war on who I choose is unacceptable, considering the Crimean Khanate was renowned on it's raiding of Slavic neighbors.
-I'm going to try and play the Khanate as realistically as possible. I will try to use almost only cavalry. Considering the Crimean economy was based almost solely on tribute and slaves, war on the steppes will be a priority.
-I don't exactly know which way this game will go, but it should be interesting. I have not played a muslim nation yet.

Main Characters:
Hajji Giray I: First Khan. Very old as the story begins.
Qara Devlet Mamut: Head Myrza(Clan Chieftan)
Sahib Bekmambet: Top military Myrza. Main narrator after Hajji.
Gazi: A mysterious Ottoman spy.
Muhammad Giray I: Second Khan.

Last edited:
The Blood of Genghis​
crimeanflag.png
-Excerpt from Hajji Giray I’s journal: The flag of Crimea. It is the flag of my Tatars. I designed it to stand for what we, as a people, are. We are of the steppes. My taraq tamga (trident of the Girays) signifies that. We are Mongols, Tatars, Turks. We are the Kypchak. I carry the Tatar banner as a rightful Khan, judged by Allah. May our enemies bow to our power.
tartarkhan.jpg

The Crimean Khanate was formed in the year 1441 when Hajji Giray I was elected khan over numerous Tatar tribes who had migrated to the Crimea and split off from the Golden Horde. After a long military struggle against the Golden Horde for independence, Hajji Giray I established his rule over the Crimean peninsula and the Desht-i Kipchak (Southern Ukraine). Hajji Giray traced his bloodline to Genghis Khan, which was the basis for royal legitimacy on the steppe. The Khan of Crimea was thus selected from a pool of candidates who were all descendants of the Giray royal line, which traced it’s lineage through Chingis Khan back to Genghis Khan. The myrzas, or heads of the various Crimean tribes, would elect which Giray should be khan. The Tatars were a mix of ethnicities, but predominately Turkish in nature.

crimeanpalacesquare.jpg

Hajji Giray I chose the village of Salaciq as his capital. From there, he ruled over the diverse land of the Crimean Khanate. Besides Mongol-Turkic nomads, the Crimea was inhabited by Greeks, Jews, and Italians. All three of these minorities were given semi-autonomous rule in their enclaves. As a young Crimean prince, one would be sent to a Circassian tribe for training in the ways of horseback riding, war, and the Quran. These skills would be vital to a Crimean prince, as the primary occupation of the Crimean Tatars was warfare with their neighbors. The Tatars ran a huge slave trading operation in the steppes consisting of Slavic, Circassian, Georgian slaves. This export of slaves to the Ottoman Empire and the Mamluks and the raiding of neighboring lands for tribute was a major part of the Crimean economy.

By the year 1453, Hajji Giray I was an old man. The Khanate was in suspense as to what would happen at his death. Who would the myrzas select as the next Khan of the Tatars? Also, how would the Khanate maintain its position on the Steppe?
StartingMap.jpg

Plenty of enemies all about you. Hungry neighbours, and he now an old man. Will he have a final moment of glory, or will it all be left to his successors to maintain his legacy?

Mongols! Man have I been looking forward to this or what?!

Well gee, it's like you can read my mind! :D

Awesome country choice, sir. I'm behind you all the way.

;)

Hajji Giray I said:
Well gee, it's like you can read my mind! :D

Awesome country choice, sir. I'm behind you all the way.

;)

An impostor! There Khan only be one!

Dysken said:
An impostor! There Khan only be one!
Aye, true, sir, but he has descendants. :) My family is headed by Prince Jezzar Giray, who lives in London, but our genealogy suggests that if, in a spectacular stroke of misfortune, everyone in the world with the last name Giray were to suddenly keel over dead, there would be a power struggle for the now totally meaningless title, between a few dozen people including ... well ...

*coughs humbly*

Seems that in the 1780s the Girays were (mostly) driven out of Russia and (mostly) settled in Turkey, where they were considered nobility anyways. Well, back in the 1800s one of the Giray girls married into a family called Cebeci (with little curly things on the c's) and in the early nineteen-twenties this line produced my mother's father. :)

Hajji Giray I said:
Aye, true, sir, but he has descendants. :) My family is headed by Prince Jezzar Giray, who lives in London, but our genealogy suggests that if, in a spectacular stroke of misfortune, everyone in the world with the last name Giray were to suddenly keel over dead, there would be a power struggle for the now totally meaningless title, between a few dozen people including ... well ...

*coughs humbly*

Impressive :eek:
My family's claim to fame consists of N.German coalminers, some Hessian mercenaries and Swedish Lumber capitalists. Does sort of pale in comparison :).

Dysken said:
Impressive :eek:
My family's claim to fame consists of N.German coalminers, some Hessian mercenaries and Swedish Lumber capitalists. Does sort of pale in comparison :).
I got lucky! :)

It's okay, man ... a lot of people would be proud to have Swedish lumber capitalists. The most interesting person to appear in my dad's side of the family has a paragraph in the Allen County, Indiana, USA official history, as one of the first settlers of the area around Winchester Street or something like that :wacko: . So, I of course am a thoroughly normal American child with only occasional bloodthirsty desires to ravage the continent of Asia and sweep across the Russian steppes beyond the already-burning towers of Moscow, yelling and drinking blood for nourishment.

Hajji Giray I said:
I got lucky! :)

It's okay, man ... a lot of people would be proud to have Swedish lumber capitalists. The most interesting person to appear in my dad's side of the family has a paragraph in the Allen County, Indiana, USA official history, as one of the first settlers of the area around Winchester Street or something like that :wacko: . So, I of course am a thoroughly normal American child with only occasional bloodthirsty desires to ravage the continent of Asia and sweep across the Russian steppes beyond the already-burning towers of Moscow, yelling and drinking blood for nourishment.

:D
History has a tendency to focus on the people who win Iron-crosses not those who get a bullet in the teeth. But it has been estimated that a new ethnicity is added for each branch you add on my family tree. We've gotten as far as Italian, Polish, German, Swedish etc. Those Prussians sure knew how to keep records of people. We've a bunch of military passes from the early 1800s. As crisp as if they were printed yesterday.

Dysken said:
Those Prussians sure knew how to keep records of people.
That would explain it: my dad's side is originally from Baden, and they haven't got a clue. :D

The military passes are awesome ... the only Crimean artifacts we have are photocopied from books and such (although my middle name is Giray). Shahin Giray wrote the most aesthetically amazing poem I have ever seen, but he was the last of the Khans so maybe that will come later in the AAR ...

Central Asian AARs are interesting.

I'll look forward to this!

Rensslaer

My family's claim to fame is that someone one of my ancestors (a woman) married was a British privateer that sat outside Boston during the war of 1812 capturing American shipping and making my family rich. Of course, my family has a bad habit of becoming rich, then a few generations later spending all the money, then a few generations later becoming rich, etc. It's been this way for hundreds of years. And guess whose turn it is to get rich?

In any case, I'm playing a game right now as the Golden Horde, in which one of my primary goals is first to diploannex Crimea, and then to re-enact the Mongol raids into Europe, only this time not leave because the Khan died. So it will be interesting to see how you do. Maybe I'll pick up some pointers.

The Blood of Genghis​

May 30, 1453: Hajji sat on his luxurious Kashmir cushions and stared at the map placed in front of him. It was a map of Kipchak; the steppe land where his Tatars lived. His brow creased in contemplation as he looked at the dangerous situation which his Khanate was in. To the north were the Rus. Although the descendants of Genghis had been able to subjugate the Rus for generations, there seemed to be revived vigor in the north. The principality of Novgorod and Muscowy both wielded great military power. Indeed, Hajji foresaw the revived Rus as the largest threat to the Khanate. To the west was a similar threat. It was the kingdoms of Poland and Lithuania. Both of these Slavic lands had been almost constant enemies of the Tatars in the steppes. Indeed, the raiding on these lands had brought great fortune to the Khanate. But, much like the Rus to the north, the slavs had ample reason to hate the Tatars. Constant raiding and enslavement seems to do that.

Firstadvisers.jpg

Hajji turned to the many myrzas which were assembled in his great tent outside the town of Salaciq. “It is troubling…” he said in his old, slow voice, “How the Slavs and Rus have stopped paying tribute to us.” Many of the tribal nobility nodded in agreement. Others frowned and continued to stare at the map. Qara Devles Mamut, one of the newly appointed head myrza, rose slowly and bowed to Hajji. He said, “My great Giray Khan. It is indeed troubling. But how can we expect them to fear us. We have not raided their lands in decades. Instead, we have been fighting almost continuous wars with our steppe brothers to the east!” Qara said this with a look of anger on his face. Hajji could tell that he disapproved of the warfare with the Khanate’s eastern neighbors. The khan let out a hacking cough and turned back to the map. Indeed, in the east were other problems. The Khanate was bordered by three countries: Kazan, the Golden Horde, and Georgia. For decades the Khanate had been involved in succession wars with the Golden Horde. And Georgia was a constant enemy to the southeast. Hajji replied to Qara, “Indeed. Warfare with our brothers has left us weak. But, peace has been declared in the east. It is time to turn to other pressing matters. In fact, it is time to finally secure the Crimea heartland!” With these words, a murmur of excitement passed through the assembled myrzas. Everyone knew what such a statement meant, and all the tribal leaders let out a sigh to know that the day had finally come. Hajji turned to his top military myrza, Sahib Bekmambet, and said, “I am an old man. I fear my days on this earth are numbered. But, I must do one last thing before I die. I must… defeat the Genoese! I entrust you, Sahib Bekmambet, and all of you myrzas to not quit until my dream is complete. We must defeat the Genoese and reclaim Azow, praise Allah!” Hajji stood up with these words and bowed his head to the assembled men. The myrzas quickly stood also and bowed their bodies to the Khan. The look of iron will was on all their faces. Hajji trusted all of them to carry out his last dream. “Send a messenger boy to Kaffa,” the Khan said, “and tell them they are not welcome on the Steppe anymore.”

1stGenoaWar.jpg

raisingarmy.jpg

The Tatars prepare for war!

Pheonix Dace: Interesting. I read a book that was partly about the Crimean Khanate in 1600'ish so that is why I decided to do the Crimeans.

One of the weird things: Their governmental sliders start out as quirky and untrue as possible. The Crimeans start out with Naval and not Land in their sliders. WTF. I doubt the Tatars ever built a ship...ever.

The Blood of Genghis​

tartarsiege.jpg

June 15, 1453: Fifteen days. Fifteen days after the Khan ordered him to take the fortress of Azow. Sahib Bekmambet stared at the thousands of slaves that were busy digging a trench around the fortress. They were mostly of Slavic stock. Used by the horsemen Tatars to do the infantry work of the Crimean Khanate. It was a dreary day. The air was humid and the insects were thick upon the skin. The horses’ tails flapped furiously in the air. Sahib used his small periscope to look at the defenders arrayed on the walls. This was a trading outpost. It could not hope to win a battle with the assembled Tatars, so they sat behind their walls and waited to naval relief from the siege. Unbeknownst to them, the Genoese navy was occupied elsewhere. Sahib knew they wouldn’t come. Now, it was merely a matter of starving the Genoese out of the fortress. Perhaps the walls could be sapped also. There were minor concerns though. The Khanate had assembled a force of four thousand men to siege Azow and Kaffa. And it was known to Sahib through Ottoman dignitaries that Genoa was embroiled in a war with Austria. They would need all their manpower to merely survive in Italy, let alone try to save their Black Sea holdings. The sieges would merely take time. But, the Tatars might not have that time…

tartarkhan3.jpg

“You are certain?” Sahib asked the courier from Salaciq. He received a curt nod in answer. “Then the Khan; Hajji Giray I is dead. What a setback.” Sahib said aloud. He turned to the Tatar horsemen around him. Some seemed to be in shock. Others had tears streaming down their faces. They all felt the grief of losing the founder of their Khanate. The courier saluted Sahib and said, “The council of Myrzas have taken control of the Khanate until the time that a suitable Giray prince is chosen to be the next Khan. Qara Mamut heads the council in Salaciq, and you have been ordered to continue the siege and take direct control of all martial Tatars.” Sahib took a deep breath and stared at the sky. He understood the perils which the Khanate now faced. With the death of Hajji Giray, all of the enemies surrounding the Khanate might find this as a perfect time to assault Crimea. Indeed, there was even a danger of multiple pretenders to the throne of Crimea popping up in enemy lands. The Golden Horde might even try to re-conquer lost land. It was imperative that a suitable Giray prince in training with the Circassians or one already serving in the army be crowned as soon as possible. Until that time, the Myrza council would have to keep the peace. Sahib replied to the courier, “You bring grave tidings. Tell the council I acknowledge their orders and will continue the siege. Also, advise them to send emissaries to both Kazan and the Golden horde asking for a co-mutual alliance.” The courier saluted Sahib and galloped away in the direction of Salaciq.

The Blood of Genghis​

Excerpt from the Chronicles of Salim Zihni:
The year of 1454 had newly begun, and the Crimea was soundless in awe of Allah’s divine will! The mighty infidel fortresses of Azow and Kaffa had fallen to Allah’s mighty warriors. The Tatars had finally defeated those vile Italian traders who cheat us out of our money! Praise Allah and the Prophet, for they now knew the power of the Khanate! Shortly after their fortresses were taken, an infidel ambassador came to the Khans mighty palace at Salaciq to meet with the Myrza council and pay homage. Besides the usual offerings of a great amount of treasure, Allah be praised, the tribal leaders also desired conquest and land. This was our right as victors. Who are the Genoese to deny a steppe peoples their will? The merciful prophet be praised! The entire horde stood united in their desire for Azow and Kaffa.

Demands.jpg

But, Allah works in many ways. Indeed, his wisdom and light guides the greatest of men among us. Thus it was that Sahib Bekmambet addressed the council under the large tent. In front of the Genoese dog and the Myrzas, Sahib rose and exclaimed, “Nay! Be it not our right to this land? But, ye may never say the Tatars are not merciful! Thy may keep Kaffa and stay on the steppe. Be it by our will!” Allah be praised! With these words Sahib showed gods mercy and judgment.

Peaceoffer.jpg

And Allah smiled upon the Khanate. In his approval and love of we Tatars, an alliance was signed with the Kazan Khanate and the Golden Horde! Unified with our Sunni brothers, the steppe was at peace and all was right with the world, praise Allah!

Steppealliance.jpg

January, 1454:
The night air was crisp and cold as Sahib moved between the assembled armies’ tents. Above, in the heavens, all of the constellations were visible. Tugging his winter coat tighter around his body, Sahib began to walk faster. He had been relaxing in his tent when a messenger came to him. Supposedly, a shady character who said he was an Ottoman Turk wanted to talk to him. Sahib wondered why an Ottoman would want to see him at a time like this. Was it congratulations for his recent conquering of Azow? Sahib was truly uneasy about the whole ordeal.

Sahib saw the tent in which the man was waiting and entered. A small brazier was blazing in the middle of the space and made the tent warm. Sitting on a small cushion was a man dressed in all black. Even his turban was black, and a thin strip of cloth hung over most of his face. The man spryly got onto his feet and bowed. Sahib could tell this man was either a spy or an assassin from his mannerisms. “Ahh, it is truly an honor to meet you at last; Sahib Bekmambet,” the man said in an unsteady voice, “I am a servant of the Sublime Porte, and I come to you with vital information.” Sahib walked slowly over to the brazier and warmed his hand. He turned to the man and said with a chill in his voice, “Indeed, how do I know your from the Sublime Porte, and what is your name? You could be a hired assassin for all I know." The man in dark clothing lifted the sleeve on his left arm. And, on his forearm, there was a large, intricate tattoo. Sahib had seen it before. It was the tattoo of the Janissaries special spy branch. “As to my name,” the man said, “Simply call me Gazi.” Sahib nodded and replied, “What information would you like to bless me with then?” Gazi walked around the room for a moment, seeming to gain his composure. He finally turned to Sahib and said, “I come bearing ill tidings. It has come to my attention that the port of Bessarabia has fallen into Lithuanian hands. And, from this port, the Lithuanians are working with Genoese exiles from the lands you just conquered. They intend to launch an attack to retake Kaffa, perhaps even more land, with the help of German mercenaries.” Gazi exhaled slowly after this. From the look in his eyes, he had gone through many trails to gain such information. Sahib chewed over the information a while before responding to Gazi. “I am truly in your debt Gazi. This information will be the first step in cunningly besting the Genoese.” Gazi bowed in reply and said, “I am merely a tool of the Sublime Porte. Give your thanks to them. Now, I must take my leave. My work never stops. Allah be praised…and good luck.” With that, Gazi briskly walked out of the tent, leaving a chill in the room as the tent flap churned in the wind. Sahib knew what he must do now. He would quickly return to Salaciq and make sure that the Khanate came out on top in this war.

Slavicagression.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like the Ottomans are going to try using Crimea as a foil to Lithuania.

stnylan said:
Sounds like the Ottomans are going to try using Crimea as a foil to Lithuania.

Yea, I'm thinking about spinning it that way when war with Lithuania finally comes. Considering the Ottomans vassalized Crimea "in real life", I'm torn on how I should act towards them. I find it doubtful that they'll ever pose a threat to me, or have a border with me, until perhaps late in the game. For now I'll consider them powerful friends. They won't ally with me :p

Also, I threw in the part with the Spy to bring emphasis as to why Kaffa was kept in Genoese hands. Supposedly I'd be at war with Lithuania if I had persisted in keeping it. :p