• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
3) When fleeing, drink speed potion
While I agree with the rest, this one can probably be a bit widenth. Speed is handy, and potions could also be used when specifically targetting something. Not just fleeing, but also getting sooner to a target (flag), or a shop, and similar. But NOT when just going about "looking for adventure".

Once you admit the magic bazaar is to be the ultimate money sink, all goes for the better.
Once you admit the enchantment is to be the gone upon revival, all goes for the better.
Once you admit the paying double for an upgrade is to a map function, all goes for the better.
Once you admit the poisoning undead and burning fire elementals is to accepted in the game, all goes for the better.
Once you admit the heroes are to be the thick as a wooden door, all goes for the better.

Sorry, but bugs and stupid behavior are bugs and stupid behavior. The last thing that should be done is "okaying" them because they are present anyways.

That is not a bug. It is a feature developped by design.
Was mentioned in a faq or something.

It is a matter of admittance at this point.

As to stupid/intelligent behaviours, drinking potions uselessly is neither one of those in the context of the game.

While I agree with the rest, this one can probably be a bit widenth. Speed is handy, and potions could also be used when specifically targetting something. Not just fleeing, but also getting sooner to a target (flag), or a shop, and similar. But NOT when just going about "looking for adventure".
Aye - I can certainly see other situations where a hero may want to use a potion. Deciding whether its worth chugging a potion to get to a flag is more complicated than "if fleeing, drink speed potion", however.

Hassat Hunter said:
Once you admit the enchantment is to be the gone upon revival, all goes for the better.
Once you admit the paying double for an upgrade is to a map function, all goes for the better.
Once you admit the poisoning undead and burning fire elementals is to accepted in the game, all goes for the better.
Once you admit the heroes are to be the thick as a wooden door, all goes for the better.

Sorry, but bugs and stupid behavior are bugs and stupid behavior. The last thing that should be done is "okaying" them because they are present anyways.
QFT.

Personally, I don't think all hero gold should necessarily be easily recycled back into the economy. Proper potion AI may still have that effect, but the current system makes it abusive for recycling and nearly useless for providing heroes with useful self-buffs - which seems to me to be the intuitive primary use for the potions.

If we really need a "recycle hero wealth" building, introduce a taxed gambling hall that has the Elven Bungalow as a prerequisite. :D

Anyway, some ideas of my own.

# Add in some unique items in the campaign that are NOT sold, so a Lord can actually be buffier/unique than the original when obtaining said item. Also maybe sometimes (rare!) allow a stat-boost, up to the possible max. of a hero-type, so recruiting a "lesser" stat-wise Lord can be fixed up later.

I feel unique drops would add a whole new level of hero diversity. I am afraid unique drops would probably be outside the scope of this game engine but I could be wrong and if not in an expansion it's a very worthy idea for a sequel.

Stat boosts - AYE!!!

# Allow lairs some lootdrops instead of gold (already mentioned often earlier).

I assume you mean "vanilla loot", eg. an improved leather armor, or masterwork magic weapon, much as you would find in blacksmith?
Unfortunately though, I think it would be a lot harder to implement than you might first think and may even be impossible with the constraints of present game engine. It would be nice to have this confirmed by the developers though! There's a lot to flesh out - would the loot be dropped on the ground to be looted like a chest? Or would it just magically appear in their inventory? Could a cleric find an improved blade and sell it? or would it automatically become an improved magic weapon? What if she already has an improved magic weapon or better? Can she sell it to a blacksmith? Can the present hero inventory system hold duplicates, redundant items and mutually exclusive items, or would it need a major rework? I know this is all academic but it could just be the tip of the iceberg.

# Add a Lord-only quest, so you actually have an use of that huge list (as you get them and only them). Also make it though, so buffing all heroes is preferable over a tiny few to tackle said quest. Probably expension material though.
Fantastic idea!! I would like to see this too!

# To limit rushing with Rogues, making quests harder and the progressing lairs more apparant how about a tweak to the lair system: Destruction foes. So lairs work the same as now, but for example the graveyard lists as "destruction foe" a vampire. Now when the graveyard is destroyed, along with what it spawns now (1 of the colums) it also spawns ALL destruction foes (there could be more colums). So in the examples case it gives an additional vampire, which is pretty though early on and probably a bad idea until stronger.
Obviously this shouldn't be done with all lairs, just some ones to keep the challenge in a bit more.

I like this idea as well. So would more destruction foes come out if den is not destroyed for a very long time? This would give incentive that while 3 level 1 rogues shouldn't charge full tilt at the nearest graveyard with a vampire destruction foe, it might be even more suicidal to wait until day 100, when there are 100 vampires waiting for them. (*cringe* I can imagine serious game crash issues resulting in the latter case in certain situations)

I tend not to rush destruction of lairs in SP campaign - why would you do this? or is it a MP thing? I prefer to leave as many lairs standing as possible until as many heroes are recruited as possible so they can all split the experience evenly between them when destroying the lairs. This isn't always practical or possible but I try NOT to clear out too much too early. Otherwise by the time I get 3 level 1 wizards "looking for trouble", I might have sweet bugger all for them to cut their teeth on, because the map has been already cleared by 3 level 16 rogues :eek:

On subject of Lords... I think Lords have so much more potential to become something great but at present, I don't even bother with them. Before I played through whole campaign, I did a lot of grinding and map replaying just to get 3 of my favourite lords (krypta, blade, beast) to level 30. However they soon got ridiculously expensive just to bring them out when they weren't even needed to finish a map. On the tougher time-based missions they are simply not an option anyway.

This is EPIC!!!! :D I'm with you 100%.

This was why I suggested a controllable tax slider. What kind of heroes would work for a king where the heroes don't get to keep a little something for themselves? The poor little buggers... the only pocket money they make from slaying monsters and doing majesty's dirty work ends up 50% taxed and 50% in majesty's pocket a bit later on for buying his majesty's items. It would be nice to see them earn more money to buy things that benefit none other than the hero and have no benefit to his majesty whatsoever. A birthday cake. A nice hat. A sweater. A poodle. Ok, I'm joking. Please take this with a grain of salt.

But on the serious side... majesty ends ridiculously rich and has to plop down 1000G explore flags 3 feet ahead of the direction in which your heroes are walking so they can afford some better armor before the boss arrives. I mean how organic is that, really? Why not balance the economic system to favour heroes slightly more to begin with? hmm? ;) it wouldn't have to be a big change, just a small one I reckon.

Last edited:
Ah, the messenger story...

Dont see how it is epic since I simply reported a game design fact. On the contrary. Nothing epic in that.

Game developpers did not hide they wanted all the money to go back to the King's coffers.
A line in the FAQ was written to state that the magic bazzaar works along the lines.

As most people dont care on what others wrote on a forum, I stated I would have preferred a differentiated tax system based on the guilds, if possible, sound fluffwise.

Now I admit that heroes need to be managed, that the management go through orders, that issueing orders request money and therefore that anything touching the way money is cycled back into the economy cant be modified that easily.

Ah, the messenger story...

Dont see how it is epic since I simply reported a game design fact. On the contrary. Nothing epic in that.

Agreed. But the comment was aimed at Hassat Hunter, in appreciation of his dry sense of humour.

Game developpers did not hide they wanted all the money to go back to the King's coffers.
A line in the FAQ was written to state that the magic bazzaar works along the lines.

Yes, I was aware of this. But thanks. I never said it was not working as designed ... rather that the behavior could be improved. (in my opinion).

As most people dont care on what others wrote on a forum, I stated I would have preferred a differentiated tax system based on the guilds, if possible, sound fluffwise.

Now I admit that heroes need to be managed, that the management go through orders, that issueing orders request money and therefore that anything touching the way money is cycled back into the economy cant be modified that easily.

Differentiated based on guilds... hmm I never thought of that. Although (IMO) a universal tax slider would make more sense. Why would you want to tax different guilds differently?

That is not a bug. It is a feature developped by design.
Was mentioned in a faq or something.

It is a matter of admittance at this point.
Cite.

Still, just because it's part of the design doesn't mean it's good design. As I mentioned in my previous post, this functionality could be replaced with a building that only has an entertainment purpose, allowing the potions to be what a player who hasn't read this FAQ to naively assume that it is - a means for the heroes to acquire useful buffs - rather than an addictive drug that the Sovereign can get their heroes addicted to.

Cite? Dont take it back but it is not the first time that this discussion is made. I quoted the sources which are the website (section economy) and the FAQ on this forum section.

Plus in the thread where the bazaar is discussed, I might even have put quotations.

Would require a complete overhaul.

Building: potions in magic bazaar are 100 and 50. Heroes can drop back much money through it in one go.
How would work the building in terms of capability to recycle wealth?

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Different taxes from guilds:
-adds a bit of strategy with choices between heroes who have a lot of money in their pocket and heroes who dont.
-looks like it can be supported and makes sense through fluff.
Barbarians, rangers and the likes can be described as bearing less taxation from their guilds while paladins, clerics etc might be required to yield a large portion of their wealth to their orders
-big trouble, would definitively be highly difficult to balance out, especially for MU.

Cite.

Still, just because it's part of the design doesn't mean it's good design. As I mentioned in my previous post, this functionality could be replaced with a building that only has an entertainment purpose, allowing the potions to be what a player who hasn't read this FAQ to naively assume that it is - a means for the heroes to acquire useful buffs - rather than an addictive drug that the Sovereign can get their heroes addicted to.
Cite? Dont take it back but it is not the first time that this discussion is made. I quoted the sources which are the website (section economy) and the FAQ on this forum section.

Aye - I can certainly see other situations where a hero may want to use a potion. Deciding whether its worth chugging a potion to get to a flag is more complicated than "if fleeing, drink speed potion", however.
Agreed. But if that's too complicated I would be fine with any directed attempt taking a speed potion. After all; additional speed is one of the things that is always beneficial. However, not beneficial enough to waste 50 gold on when doing nothing ("looking for adventure, going home (when in close radius)").
Personally, I don't think all hero gold should necessarily be easily recycled back into the economy. Proper potion AI may still have that effect, but the current system makes it abusive for recycling and nearly useless for providing heroes with useful self-buffs - which seems to me to be the intuitive primary use for the potions.
Agreed (also see "Income Tax" thread.)
Yeah, sadly enough, potions don't even give major boosts to that. A lvl 2 weapon can give more than +5 damage boost this potion give. 2 of these potions give a permanent boost of +5 using enchantment of the guild, but don't think they get that first.
Compare that to lvl 3 weapons (may be +65), the Agrela buff spell (+20 melee damage).
Same is sadly enough also true for marketplace upgrades. +10 to all defenses for 300 gold? Dunno, but 200 gold(!) gives me +30, +60 and +50 or so at the blacksmith.
So I generally do not get marketplace upgrades, bazaar potions, enchantment until heroes got their level 4 weaponry, it's just that more effective, and cheaper to boot. Not that they really need it to become invernable, but that's another issue.
I assume you mean "vanilla loot", eg. an improved leather armor, or masterwork magic weapon, much as you would find in blacksmith?
Yeah, and nothing quite as complicated as you make it out to be. Just the same that MFKS1 did. A lair has a lvl (not 1 like they all have now). Low ones like graveyards and wolf dens got nothing, but higher ones like Dragon Dens and Ogre Dens have chances to drop higher level armor and weapons, and maybe the marketplace items (that's possible since it happens in the Imp Advisor mission!). If it drops, and the drop is higher level than the current equipment the hero has, it updates. No inventory for items of other classes needed. If the hero already has equal or better equipment (or already carries said marketplace item) bad luck for him, it's just the gold.
I like this idea as well. So would more destruction foes come out if den is not destroyed for a very long time?
Nah, it remains static. It's just a deterrent to destroying all lairs of a map quickly, it should be overcome eventually. That doesn't mean the lair's spawning itself remain static though.
Think Eternal Love. You probably want all graveyards gone before they spawn Liches. So you do. But with this 2 of them have Vampire guardians. So you leave them, and do get attacked by Liches. Okay, you cleared the other not protected graveyards, but atleast are not completely immune to the Lich-attack just because you cleaned them up fast...
Or think "Defense of the Desert" Hell-spawn sites.
On subject of Lords... I think Lords have so much more potential to become something great but at present, I don't even bother with them. Before I played through whole campaign, I did a lot of grinding and map replaying just to get 3 of my favourite lords (krypta, blade, beast) to level 30. However they soon got ridiculously expensive just to bring them out when they weren't even needed to finish a map. On the tougher time-based missions they are simply not an option anyway.
True. I really like the idea behind Lords (hey, I suggested *exactly* this before MFKS2 was even released! :D), but the prices kind of make them redundant. Also, I rather liked to use them, aside from mission-cross-over for "Vigil of a Fallen Hero" type of missions, but that part of the idea didn't make MFKS2 :(.
Together with Lord-only items and specials. Not just positive ones, mind you... :evil:
That's a great idea. And, MFKS1 already did that after all. But with the majority of taxes in MFKS2 coming from Rogues (or more specifically, their stealing ability) lowering their taxrate to 30% like the original would, indeed, seriously alter the balance of the game. Not to mention they would keep more money for themselves, which they somehow need to spend (no, don't start on "the Magic Bazaar fixes all". Yeah, that could "fix it" by having the other 20% be wasted on potions, but then there really ain't no point in doing it in the first place). That would hamper income a LOT more than making a 50% income tax (I think I already stated this though).
That would only work if the begin game was made cheaper, or lvl 1 market/palace income was increased to compensate.

Plus in the thread where the bazaar is discussed, I might even have put quotations.

Would require a complete overhaul.

Building: potions in magic bazaar are 100 and 50. Heroes can drop back much money through it in one go.
How would work the building in terms of capability to recycle wealth?
You mean this?
FAQ said:
What's the thing with the “Magic Bazaar” building?
Like all magical buildings (wizards guild, magic bazaar, magic tower), the Bazaar is constructed magically, without use of peasants.
The Bazaar is a good addition when your heroes have found lots of treasure. Large amounts of gold will find its way to your Majesty's coffers through the Bazaar.
To me, this is just saying that it can recycle wealth, not that heroes are supposed to scull potions like they were beer. If heroes are in combat, it will still serve to cycle wealth as potions are naturally used if the system I proposed was introduced. It's no more complicated than the original Majesty had.

Unless there is a direct admission from the devs that the heroes are supposed to be addicted to potions purely to recycle wealth, I will continue to believe the potion-drinking AI is bugged.

As for a replacement building:
Elven Lounge (requires Elven Bungalow):
Allows the Sovereign to research a variety of entertainments for their heroes. Heroes partaking in a given entertainment pay a price for that entertainment into the Lounge's coffers, and have an effect on leaving the Lounge depending on the entertainment chosen.

There, a building which, if you really think the high level of recycling that the Bazaar allows is actually desirable, will allow it without having more naive players believing that the Magic Bazaar is actually supposed to be useful in providing buffs to their heroes instead of a Machiavellian ploy by the Sovereign to drain their funds.

To avoid having to reintroduce a "willpower" score, and keeping in mind that female elves apparently have more decorum than their male counterparts, the Lounge's entertainments can be kept to things that are respectable (performance of music and theatre that have effects depending on the subject matter rather than *ahem*).

It also gives Elves their economic advantage back, without being quite so abusive as in MFKS1. (You could even make the Elven Lounge a "super-Inn" in a similar manner to how the Dwarven Tower is an improvement on the regular tower for most things.)

Last edited:
And to add to case draxynnic made, here's the section economics of the site. To make it even easier I bolded everything that made it into the game...

"The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules. "

The economy of Majesty 2 is an elaborate and intriguing system. When the King (the player) gives money to a hero, they don’t just hire someone for a certain sum of money which they will never see again. Rather, given an efficiently developed economy, the money will return to the King’s treasury sooner or later – in the form of taxes paid by guilds, markets, shops and other members of the economic system of the game.

This means that one of the player’s task, as sovereign of the kingdom, is to take care that the money paid to heroes for accomplishing their missions does not fall into the wrong hands – that it may come, by turns, back into the hands of the tax collector.

"I happen to be seeking monetary gratification, yeah"

Development of an effective economic system is an important task for the Majesty 2 player. If you have assured a stable inflow of money into the treasury, you are halfway to victory!
To increase the influx of gold into His Majesty’s treasury, don’t forget to build and develop markets and magic bazaars, as well as trading posts. Speaking of which, please make note that a trading post can only be built in certain locations – “places of trade” – which are small, easily recognizable places on the map, usually located at the intersection of major roads.
A trading post sells to heroes the same potions and elixirs that are sold at the kingdom’s market and the magic bazaar. The money with which heroes buy these potions is collected in the market’s coffers. Then, a caravan carrying the money sets off from the trading post to the capital from time to time (usually once a day). After the caravan reaches the market in the capital, some of that money is added to the royal treasury.

Your trading post can be upgraded as well. Though it does not increase the amount of money produced by the trade post, leveling does strengthen both the post and the caravan, creating greater fortifications and other protection. The second-level trading post is visually different from the first-level post – and of special note, it has a watchtower for an archer. The caravan changes as well. The first-level caravan is either a horse and carriage, or simply a human with trunks on his back. The second-level caravan is more impressive and reliable.

Oh wait, it didn't... my bad.
Also, note the underscored part. Yikes, it sounds like... income tax!

The fact that trading posts and caravans do not work as intended is a novelty? It was already underlined a long time ago (the original date release of the game making the scale)

Wrong hands? Monsters maybe? Now I expect something.

Strange that you did not bold that extract because this made it into the game.

When the King (the player) gives money to a hero, they don’t just hire someone for a certain sum of money which they will never see again. Rather, given an efficiently developed economy, the money will return to the King’s treasury sooner or later – in the form of taxes paid by guilds, markets, shops and other members of the economic system of the game.
Put it aside the extract containing that some of the money etc...

To me, this is just saying that it can recycle wealth, not that heroes are supposed to scull potions like they were beer. If heroes are in combat, it will still serve to cycle wealth as potions are naturally used if the system I proposed was introduced. It's no more complicated than the original Majesty had.

Unless there is a direct admission from the devs that the heroes are supposed to be addicted to potions purely to recycle wealth, I will continue to believe the potion-drinking AI is bugged.
The FAQ happened after the discussion that took place on the magic bazaar.
There were people who identified the magic bazaar as the ultimate sink it is supposed to be and others telling that the magic bazaar design was flawed.
The Bazaar is a good addition when your heroes have found lots of treasure. Large amounts of gold will find its way to your Majesty's coffers through the Bazaar.
If you seriously expect game developpers to discuss game design and explain directly how this or that is, I fear you can wait for a long time.
Already, you have a statement stating that the magic bazaar is for mid/end term times in the game and that it will helpt large amount of money to cycle back to the coffers.
How close to the depiction of an efficient sink.

Again, repeating over and over the same stuff.

Currently (and probably for a long time), heroes are not self sufficient enough to tackle menial jobs by themselves. Majesty 2 is not about accompanying your heroes into solving quests as Majesty could be but leading them to solve quests.
This means you need to be able to issue orders constantly to manage your heroes.
With this conception, a sink to recycle wealth at mid/later stages of a game is not desirable. It is required. Especially since the hero specific action "is going to pay his taxes" is not implemented.

Besides, the game has a number of issues it would be better to mend before asking for a change that would require a complete overhaul.

There were people who identified the magic bazaar as the ultimate sink it is supposed to be and others telling that the magic bazaar design was flawed.
I would say it was between people who correctly pointed out the flawed potion drinking mechanism and people who incorrectly thought that was an intended sink-mechanism.
They tried to fix this with the patch, but haven't gotten even near the proper function of the bazaar.
Why do you think they put it in the patch if it worked as intended? Any explenation for that...?
Already, you have a statement stating that the magic bazaar is for mid/end term times in the game and that it will helpt large amount of money to cycle back to the coffers.
Indeed it will, because heroes can buy and carry 3x3 + 1x3 + 1x3 amount of potions around. That's 750 gold for a full set. That's a nice amount of money, more than a full deck of armor (blacksmith) or all marketplace items combined.
However that doesn't change the potion zipping mechanism being faulty.
With this conception, a sink to recycle wealth at mid/later stages of a game is not desirable. It is required. Especially since the hero specific action "is going to pay his taxes" is not implemented.
Funny. I don't do it, despite being required, and am much MUCH better in this game if your comment in dev diary #3 is any indication of your skill. How odd, no?
Maybe it's not as required as you think... and infact, harming your heroes and kingdom with it, which I can more savely protect because I don't get my heroes high and addicted?
Besides, the game has a number of issues it would be better to mend before asking for a change that would require a complete overhaul.
Having heroes zip their potions wisely wouldn't be a major balance change.

Woooo. Incredible comment I read here.

I don't do it, despite being required, and am much MUCH better in this game if your comment in dev diary #3 is any indication of your skill. How odd, no?

Probably pointing nothing about my "skill"

When it comes to video games developpment, there are always players who want to make it a matter of skills. They see themselves as skilled and wish that their opinion matter more because of their supposed skills.

My remark went because a number of players on that forum reported they played this game through a trial and error approach. Among the few reviews I read, some reported this point.

As to me, (see for example discussion on the free style mode request) I have always told that this feature would not change radically the game as from a strategical point of view, it will always boil down to a search and destroy mission game. Which also points at what method I used to solve the game and what can be expected from such method.

But I take into account that the game is not developped specifically for me and I saluted the effort achieved which is likely to satisfy players who use the trial and error approach while it will also gives me the opportunity to check whether or not my thoughts about this sector of the game were right or wrong.

The remark about the magic bazaar is a pure non sense. It means that it is possible to do better without the magic bazaar than with it. And the conclusion is not that the magic bazaar (the whole of it, including potions consumptions) is not flawed but simply useless. And when features in a video game are useless, it is usually better to remove than to maintain them.
If you are true to your own line of thinking, dont ask for the bazaar to be fixed, ask for it to be removed.

Somebody in the thread mentioned that it should be easy to implement a sensible potion consumption. It might be. What might be less easy is to reach the same rate of wealth recycling with a sensible potion consumption. Just my two cents...

Well, you stated "trial and error are the only way to go" and "the moneylaundering of the magic bazaar is required" both as facts.

Yet; both are wrong.
Also, I think of myself as a pretty much avarage player. I just wanted to point out to you your facts are, infact, wrong, and might be the reason why you were having a difficult time with the game?

I have always told that this feature would not change radically the game as from a strategical point of view, it will always boil down to a search and destroy mission game. Which also points at what method I used to solve the game and what can be expected from such method.
Yup. That's pretty much MFKS(1 and 2). Such it was and such it always will be. What's the problem with that? If you don't like the premises of the game, why play?
With randomness the "method I used to solve the game" isn't present. You would have to actively seek out lairs rather than just (ab)using Meta-knowledge of the map. MFKS2 allows you to easily return from near-catastrophic failure, so I don't see why so many people have problems with it.

The remark about the magic bazaar is a pure non sense. It means that it is possible to do better without the magic bazaar than with it. And the conclusion is not that the magic bazaar (the whole of it, including potions consumptions) is not flawed but simply useless. And when features in a video game are useless, it is usually better to remove than to maintain them.
If you are true to your own line of thinking, dont ask for the bazaar to be fixed, ask for it to be removed.
Certainly, while I might build it, I never research potions for it - I'd rather my heroes were out fighting and spending their money on useful gear rather than on an addiction. And in my experience, by the time all of my heroes have top-level equipment they're not going to be able to afford if they're blowing their cash on potions - namely, in that late tier you speak of, remembering that temple heroes, whether recruited or promoted, will need equipment - I'm probably already rolling in enough cash that I don't need a money sink.

Somebody in the thread mentioned that it should be easy to implement a sensible potion consumption. It might be. What might be less easy is to reach the same rate of wealth recycling with a sensible potion consumption. Just my two cents...
That was me - and if your heroes are fighting at all, they would be consuming potions at a rapid rate. If they're not fighting... well, you probably don't need money to spend anyway, and the hero probably doesn't have money to recycle.

Frankly, given that primary sources for hero wealth in most games are probably going to be monsters and kill flags (unless the player is deliberately using explore and/or defend flags to subsidise the hero economy) I imagine that sensible potion use would probably result in a similar amount of recycling - the hero gets into combat, chugs their attack potions and the defend potion(s) that are relevant to the foe(s), and then returns to replace the potions they used. The main difference may well simply be that they drink their potions in combat where they actually matter rather than as soon as they leave the Bazaar where it probably doesn't. Including up to the point of never having money to buy other equipment unless the Sovereign is truly extravagant with rewards.

And if that somehow doesn't prove sufficient, I also proposed a building that serves as a money sink and doesn't pretend to be anything else.