• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm new to the "Majesty" system of gameplay...but this type of game practically begs for an open-world sandbox style mode; a skirmish system as you will.

I was told by Fredrik that this conversation belongs here in the "whats missing" thread... so, as copied and pasted:

After absorbing much of the negative commentary on this forum regarding missing/broken game elements I wanted to rant and rave like others. But I hit the brakes - because ranting here wont accomplish anything for me personally. Every game has its share of haters that make devs roll their eyes. The majority of us know (edit:expect) a patch will likely hit in the coming weeks or months that will fix most of the little bugs that make this game feel like it was rushed. But it pisses me off to see so much genuine frustration from all of you regarding certain aspects of M2. I want this game to be everything all of us imagined it to be. I admit I know nothing about game design and I cant relate to the difficulty of making a big time video game that not only fits development budgets, but appeases the players. Yet it is so distressing to hold the impression that this game was released as an incomplete product. Bad games happen, its only natural. Every video game developer out there cant succeed; it takes a lot of manpower/hours, cooperation and imagination. But Majesty 1 will always hold a place in my heart, which is why the thought of M2 never fulfilling its potential is crushing.

Thoughts?

Here's some thoughts I posted in a few other threads, compiled here.

Skirmish/ sandbox. I buy games that will last, hence why I'm a strategy gamer. I'm not very demanding in this regard. But is it true that there's only a campaign, and that's it? Meaning if I wanted I might play the campaign 3 times, and then it's over? I love skirmish mode vs. AI in strategy games. And a LAN AI crusher is even better. If there's a skirmish mode, I'll easily get 200 hours out of the game. I don't like the RPG and FPS genres, mainly because once you've played them for their 10 hours of duration, your money is gone. I play strategy games like Sins of a Solar Empire for hundreds of hours, simply because they offer that much re-playability. A strategy game with customizable random maps also means players will most likely still be around when an expansion and/or sequel are released.

Bugs. I look all over the forum and there is a TON of bugs. I observed them myself, even in only 5 hours or so of the demo, trying the same map over and over. For example, the "speed" bug, where buildings build at different rates relative to other aspects when you have different speed settings. How soon will these be fixed? Or will it be like Empire: Total War where we're 7 months later on patch 1.3 and the game still has tons of holes and bugs?

I also am deeply disappointed that there is apparently no co-op LAN play. I play LAN games all the time, against the AI. Why not Majesty 2? This is a big let-down.

Until these issues are resolved, I refuse to buy the game.

Hmm, I have to disagree with you sweatdog. For one, it appears the developers have stated it was intentional to not include Skirmish mode and Cooperative mode gameplay - a huge selling point for many of us. It is almost an indication they didn't understand the customer base very well.

What I mean is, this was a misguided project from the onset - not a rushed/incomplete article. Some of us hope the features we want can yet be added, and that would be cool but difficult because the engine was never designed for it.

I do enjoy campaigns - for about the 10 hours it takes me to complete them. That isn't worth my 40$. I require a sandbox mode OR a coop mode to play with friends. Much like in M1, PvP is an all night slogging stalemate at best ;/

"which is why the thought of M2 never fulfilling its potential is crushing."

Many fans of Majesty 1 would have been rejoicing with a simple facelift (new graphics). I never expected "new stuff" (and we really didn't get any), but had hoped they would keep the modes of play that I found most enjoyable about the original.

For example if you take Master of Magic, another old game many of my friends and I still find enjoyable. Take the core game, upgrade the graphics and make it run on something other than DOSBOX. You'll find a significant portion of people would rejoice. But if you go and remove the random map generation (or some other core component) than just don't bother. Why? Well, because it takes away our hope :p

I guess we'll see what happens.

Can somebody please add some gnomes please, This game is so boring with out the little, I'm only a gnome sounds and stuff. More options for multiplayer like in the first majesty would be awesome and a map editor. Thanks

For example if you take Master of Magic, another old game many of my friends and I still find enjoyable. Take the core game, upgrade the graphics and make it run on something other than DOSBOX. You'll find a significant portion of people would rejoice. But if you go and remove the random map generation (or some other core component) than just don't bother. Why? Well, because it takes away our hope :p
Hear hear!

Unfortunately, the company that ruined MoO3 is still sitting on the rights for Master of Magic. They're not willing to take the risk of the game failing if they make it themselves, but they're also not willing to take the risk of the game succeeding - and thus competing with their other products - if they let someone else have a go. It might take a complete failure of Infogrames/Atari for MoM2 to ever see the light of day, and, well, I'm not holding my breath on that front. But that's venturing off topic.

The old high scores list? This was one of my favorite features of the original game. I've never understood why Paradox refuses to put a "hall of fame" board (like Civilization 4 has) into their games. I like to be able to see my performance graded and recorded.

Last edited:
I updated the OP with problems that fit to the topic.
I didn't update the topic with bugs and AI related problems, because there's a bug report topic for those.
I didn't unpdate with content suggestions, see OP why.
The only bug I mentioned here is the "go up" button in the hero panel because if they work with that because of our bug reports they'll be able to easily repair this one (I think).

Please don't make my job more difficult here and don't be offtopic! There are tons of topic for those who want to explain why not to buy/why buy. Go there and post there.

Pyrasia
"Pressing 'F' key should open up Building screen, but it should not center the camera at the Palace."
Use B instead of F if I remember correct

If I could have only 1 thing added it would be a simple message telling me when a building is destroyed and which one it is. Let's fix the current gameplay before adding skirmishes, gnomes, and other items from wish lists.

Great Game, Shame It's Too Difficult

As admonished in another post I was asked to drop off my 2 cents here:

The only major problem with Majesty 2, is as IGN says in their review - it's just too damn hard. The AI is like on impossible hard mode 24-7. I can't even keep up with all the beasties. The orignal would have lulls of grace periods to let you catch up and do some damage control, but now you just get overwhelmed. I'm sure it is possible to succeed, and I have no doubt some people have managed to, but they really need an easier mode option. I'm going as fast as I can and still getting overrun.

Overall I like the game. They captured the spirit of the original with uncanny accuracy and added lots of fun new features, but the difficulty is through the roof. For me, without cheats, unplayable.

-

minimap

I would like to see following things:

- Plant flags by clicking the minimap.
- Flags on the minimap should be colored according to their status
(attack = red; explore = green; defend = blue; Fear = grey)

I didn't see this on the list, though I am happy to say if most the list was "fixed" I would probably buy the game the next day.

There is a problem with the hero AI. I noticed it in the demo and my sister confrimed in the retail version and others have mentioned it in other parts of the forum. The heroes no longer protect their own guilds. They walk past monsters to get to their dens and then abandon other heroes when those downed dens spawn their last monsters. In the original, they seemed to commit suicide more often but they were not so eager to ignore rampaging monsters either.

Updated the original post with multiplayer session and with these problems:

MULTIPLAYER
Allow more than 32 character long posts in lobby chat rooms.
Add tooltips to the icons at the end of the server list.
Add an option to create servers with 2× game speed.
Add an icon to show that the match will be rated or not.
Remove already started servers from the server list in the main lobby instead of putting an icon to the end of them.

If you have more, post it :)

It wasn't in the original game but how about a "Dominate the world" style play? It might not fully fit into the game style but along the lines of the Dawn of War (The last two expansions) free-style map but in-game it offers a skrimish mode with varying difficulties against an enemy AI kingdom.

I think it would be better to put in any topic where agreement is for something. So for instance Skirmish missing is a big deal, i'd love to see a skirmish map ability

Also apparently Majesty had the ability to have a camera follow the selected hero in a small window - would love to see this addition.

Tals

I think it would be better to put in any topic where agreement is for something. So for instance Skirmish missing is a big deal, i'd love to see a skirmish map ability

Also apparently Majesty had the ability to have a camera follow the selected hero in a small window - would love to see this addition.

Tals

The small windows won't be available because of engine limitations. You can follow a unit by doubleclicking on it and you can watch you units health and work through the hero panel. That's instead of the small window.

In my opinion the new system is more usable than the old one even if it's not so spectacular :)

The small windows won't be available because of engine limitations. You can follow a unit by doubleclicking on it and you can watch you units health and work through the hero panel. That's instead of the small window.

In my opinion the new system is more usable than the old one even if it's not so spectacular :)

I would tend to agree - it is more it would look neat than being useable :)

One item I forgot, would love to see more useage of stats. You get stats at the end of your mission but as far as I can see you can't then see those stats again and you have no way of knowing if you beat them the next time. Would add to replayability.

Tals