• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(768334)

Second Lieutenant
Jul 14, 2013
Hello everybody! As I have finished doing my Belgium AAR, and as I have failed that a bit, I have decided to do another "suicidal" AAR as Yugoslavia. It actually has the power to stop the Germans, and push them back to Berlin. If not, I'll give them a bloody nose (and a couple destroyed divisions). I have went from Semper Fi to For the Motherland, but I will still be using the HPP mod, which is probably the best one out there. The game itself will start from 1936, but I will show pictures and stuff from January 1st, 1939.

A couple of rules:

MAIN RULE: Survive until 1943
MUST DO RULES:
#1: No dropping paratroopers on enemy capital (more of a note, as I ill never have the air force for that)
#2: Regional power status gained (also a note, as I did that in 1936)
#3: 8 German (or 16 Italian) divisions destroyed.
#4: Yugoslavian claims on Italy taken.

OPTIONAL RULES:
#1: All German allies in Balkans are destroyed. (with one exception, to which I will get to in...)
#2: The Little Entente Recreated (Puppet Romania and liberate Czechoslovakia)
#3: Take Albania and Venice.

UTOPIA RULES:
#1: Conquer Germany
#2: Conquer Italy
#3: Great Power status achieved.

With all of that out of my way, here's a (very distant) view on my army:

qy8k.jpg

I liked your first AAR -- I'm interested to see how you do in this one!

I am from Croatia and I approve this AAR
I hope you don't quit on it like many Yugoslav AAR writers do ( well except if you lose )

It would be interesting if Germany/Italy gains the wargoal; cut down to size on you. You'd be literally fighting for your death! :p

Thanks for the comments! I'm not exactly sure, if I will be able to make a update soon. I might do it next weekend or sometime before that. Hell, I could even make a update today! But don't count on that too much. The Yugoslav army is ready to fight until death and save Europe from the Nazis and cheese - eaters. And Belgium won't be saved only if it's somewhere in America. It is a matter of my prestige.

I've never realized how blueish was Yugoslavia back then...

Good luck with this one. There aren't many Yugoslavian AARs, but I never really understood why. Maybe a lot of people see it as a big blob in the Balkans, which cannot be saved.

Where the hell did you get LARM anyway?!

Good luck with this one! I look forward to see how you get on. I recently survived as Yugoslavia playing the TFH version of HPP but a bit of good luck certainly helped - Germany quickly lost interest in me to invade the USSR and the British landed me around 12 expeditionary divisions at my very darkest hour when it seemed Beograd might get encircled!

Chapter I: Preparing for death

Ikarases:
I've never realized how blueish was Yugoslavia back then...

Good luck with this one. There aren't many Yugoslavian AARs, but I never really understood why. Maybe a lot of people see it as a big blob in the Balkans, which cannot be saved.

Where the hell did you get LARM anyway?!

1: I don't really like the purpleish color of Yugoslavia, so I went and did a recolor. That blue is form Yugoslavia's flag. Another candidate was HoI 2 style orange.
2:Thanks! Yugoslavia actually is easy to protect, as only the Germans and Italians are the ones, who are interested in a attack. And there is only a short line which can be used to bloody them badly (reminds me of Talvisota).
3:The Japs were happy to sell me some Hagos.

SSmith:
Good luck with this one! I look forward to see how you get on. I recently survived as Yugoslavia playing the TFH version of HPP but a bit of good luck certainly helped - Germany quickly lost interest in me to invade the USSR and the British landed me around 12 expeditionary divisions at my very darkest hour when it seemed Beograd might get encircled!

Thanks! I wish that happened when I did my Belgium AAR.

This is going to be a short update, as I don't have much time, but I want this AAR to actually start. I will shortly talk about my diplomacy, production, and technology, as well I will introduce you to my defensive and early offensive plans.

mx35.jpg

68gd.jpg

mrep.jpg

So, these are my stats as of January 1, 1939 (find something, that shouldn't be in the Diplomacy, and you will get a virtual cookie!). Diplomacy wise, It isn't important, I'm trying to join the Allies, but the push towards the Axis is too hard. Production wise, I'm creating some Garrisons (4x GAR each), which are going to cover my final defense line, to which I will get to later. Technology isn't lacking, as it might seem. I should have a lot in infantry practicals and theory, but strangely it's going to the Educational System... but I decided: if it's happening to me, than it must happen to the AI as well!

gwiw.jpg

First of all, I mistook the date for the arrival of the Alpini division in Zara (1939, not 2013!). But this is my defense plan. The light green line shows the best possibilities of a defensive line. It consists of 5 mountain provinces and 1 marshlands province. But that's a utopia plan. The real task is to create and maintain the Yellow defense line. It is just as large, but it has two plains provinces - bad for defense. The red arrows show my attack plans as for Northern Italy. It would allow me to create a smaller defensive line, and retake my cores back. My task is to surround and destroy the Italians. I don't care if the Italians will get supplies, cause the AI isn't smart enough to put his troops in transports and the average Italian division has only two brigades (1 less then the average 1936 Yugoslav division).
The ink defensive line indicates the last line of defense, upgraded with garrisons. If this line is lost, then Yugoslavia will lose a nice part of the industry, and it will be much harder to defend open plains and this wide. As for my neighbors, who will join the Axis soon, I have some offensive plans for them - attacks on Albania and into Greece, so I can finish one of my objectives. There will be a lot of Italians in Greece. In Hungary, a quick blitz is decided for the Yugoslav armies, including all of Yugoslav light armor (Type 95 Ha-go, and Panzer II ausf. A tanks). In Romania, small professional force (One 3 brigade and two 5 brigade divisions) will make it's way towards Bucharest and install a puppet government there, thus making a part of the Little Entente. Bulgaria won't have any smart strategy: 10-12 Yugoslav divisions (one with medium armor) will attack the whole Bulgarian front frontally. It will happen taking, that the Bulgarians have divisions of Italian or Hungarian strength.

That's it for this update! You can expect soon, but I won't give a real date.

Whee, that's gonna be tough.
Your supoort brigades only have the basic upgrades in artillery and AT, that won't do against GER Panzers and Inf.

Re Educational System:
The whole theory system got overhauled in the FTM version.
Every tech gives +1 theory in Educational System, which provides significant bonuses to the theory techs, thus you actually have to research some theory techs, and they prove pretty usefull, actually.

Can't wait how this is going to play out.

cheers
shorty

I don't think Italian Albania will be too much of a trouble, as AI is usualy too dumb to station troops there (speaking for TFH). So Greece should have little trouble taking it on its own. After all, if Italy wasn't getting their arses kicked in Greece, there would be no need for Axis attack on Yugoslavia! With some luck, you might be able to recieve some help from Greece, but any other nation bordering you is potentially hostile (as Romania usualy goes "rogue" after other nations strip it off its territory).

And yeah, your SUP techs are lagging behind hard. Any German tank division will be able to stomp you with ease, even though FtM doesn't have that piercing feature.

I can't say for sure about the FTM version but I certainly expected (and got) Hungary and Bulgaria called in against me by Germany in TFH. Your yellow defensive line is about what I intended, although I tried to follow the mountains and rivers, built a few fort levels here and there, and decided that one or two of the northern border provinces were expendable. That's all well and good until you are fighting on every front!

My plan was to guarantee Albania against Axis aggression. The way the game played out I thought I might be at war in 1938 but in the end it took until 1940. I handled Italy reasonably OK and was occupying Trieste when Germany joined in... and then my fortified frontier was swept aside and I lost a lot of my best divisions and heavy equipment! :D

Is that Morocco? :p

hto2.jpg

Here's your cookies!

On behalf of Morocco being in, I wanted to do a Morocco AAR, but after I had modded everything in, I strangely shifted towards Yugoslavia, and in the end, there is a Morocco ready to join the Allies in my Yugoslavia game. Guess I have to mod them out (or make a colonial puppet of France)

About a update, it may be tomorrow or, in the worst case scenario, this weekend.

What is brasil doing in the comiterm part of the triangle?

They start out with leftist goverment, probably unlike vanilla. Brazil is deeply politically divided and you can change its ideology quite easily. HPP doesn't automatically put the strongest party into power, examples being Siam, Brazil or even Czechoslovakia, as local elections in 1935 here were won by the SdP, though coalition of all the other parties was strong enough to put them into opposition effectively ;)