• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

VILenin

Revolutionary Leader
56 Badges
Dec 24, 2004
  • Stellaris
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace…

It is the Earth year 2255, and the galaxy is in a moment of transition. For the first time in history all of the major races have come together in the name of peace.

The Earth Alliance is the latest arrival to galactic politics. Since receiving hyper-drive technology from the Centauri mankind has expanded rapidly, establishing colonies and outposts on many worlds. Humanity is still recovering, physically and psychologically, from it’s brush with annihilation seven years ago in the Earth-Minbari War. Started when an Earth warship, perceiving hostility where none existed, fired upon a Minbari vessel and killed their supreme religious leader. The war ended three years later with the Minbari fleet at Earth itself, poised to destroy it. At the cataclysmic Battle of the Line 10,000 ships went out for a last-ditch defense of Earth to buy time for an evacuation of the civilian population; less than 200 survived. Then a strange thing happened. On the verge of total victory the Minbari mysteriously surrendered, ending the war and saving the Human race. The reason for the Minbari capitulation is a question that has gone unanswered and continues to confound many Humans. In the intervening time period the Earth Alliance has struggled to rebuild and reassert itself on the galactic stage.

The Minbari Federation is the oldest and most technologically advanced of the “younger” races. A thousand years ago they fought alongside the Vorlons against the Shadows in a galaxy-spanning conflict. For a time it seemed as though the war would be lost but salvation came in the form of a powerful battle station from the future. Onboard was a Minbari not born of Minbari, a man named Valen who became both war leader and prophet and led his people to victory. It was Valen who formed the Grey Council, the ruling body of the Minbari, and established the Anla’shok (Rangers) to watch for the Shadows' return, which he prophesied would occur in a thousand years. Now the time of prophecy approaches but Minbari society is rife with discontent. Tensions between the three castes (Warrior, Worker and Religious) are growing in the aftermath of the war with the Humans. The Humans killed Dukhat, the leader of the Gery Council, and in response a Holy War was launched to wipe them from existence. But, at the last possible moment, the Council reconsidered and ordered their fleet to stand down. The Warrior caste blames the Religious caste for robbing them of their victory and purpose. Furthermore, many in the Warrior caste doubt the impending return of the Shadows. So the Minbari Federation watches and waits, unsure of how or even whether they should act.

The Centauri Republic was once the great “Lion of the Galaxy” but, in recent days, have entered into a period of decline. While humans were just rediscovering science and art the Centauri roamed the stars, building an Empire. At its height it was said that the Centauri fleet could block out the sun of any planet it orbited. But a few decades ago the Centauri were forced to withdraw from the Narn Homeworld after a protracted and costly guerilla war. The last century has seen a number of embarrassing defeats, particularly at the hands of the Narn who have proven themselves eager for revenge. During this period of contraction and decline the Centauri stumbled across a fairly primitive race called Humans and gave them access to jump gates, thereby allowing them to spread to other worlds. Though the Centauri Republic shows many signs of decadency and decline, it is still a force to be reckoned with. The Centauri people are known for their pride and increasingly there is talk of revanchism and returning to the “old ways.” Given that its military remains formidable, the other galactic powers should proceed with caution.

The Narn Regime is led by a group called the Kha’Rhi, a council of leaders from the guerilla war against the Centauri who occupied the Narn Homeworld for a hundred years. They were eventually driven off through the bloody process of attrition but they left Narn in ruins; strip-mined of its resources and its ecosystem ravaged. Having won their freedom the Narn quickly turned to revenge against their former oppressors. Utilizing captured Centauri technology the Narn Regime built a fearsome war machine, both to fight the Centauri and to protect Narn from ever falling victim again. Though originally a peaceful people, the Narn have now become belligerent and aggressive in their pursuit of vengeance. As a result they are not wholly trusted by any of their neighbors. This could mean that in a future conflict the Narn Regime might have to stand alone.

The Vorlon Empire is old, powerful and mysterious. All of the younger races know of Vorlons, and none of them truly know anything about the Vorlons. From their strange organic ships to the encounter suits they wear when meeting other races, every aspect of them is shrouded in mystery. A thousand years ago they fought alongside the Minbari against the ancient enemy, a race known as the Shadows. Since then they have had little direct contact with the younger races, withdrawing into their own space. Appearances are deceiving, however, and behind their seeming isolationism the Vorlons have not been idle. The time is coming when the timeless struggle against the forces of Chaos will resume and the Vorlons have no intention of losing.

To most races the Shadows are little more than a name and a legend. Of the younger races, only the Minbari were space-faring a millennia ago when the Shadows last moved in the open, but that great struggle left a mark on a thousand different worlds. Following their defeat the Shadows disappeared and went into hiding, rebuilding their forces and gathering servants for the next great war. Now their long preparation is almost complete. Strange ships have been sighted in hyperspace and in remote sectors and rumors speak of a powerful alien race and their ominous homeworld: Z’ha’dum.

The Drazi Freehold has been a space-faring race for centuries and have established several colonies and are a prominent member of the League of Non-Aligned worlds. Still considered a minor power in the galaxy, the Drazi have been hampered by their own factitious political process; every six years they divide themselves into two factions (Green and Purple) and battle for dominance. The winner takes over the government for six years when the process then starts all over again. This in-fighting has limited Drazi growth and hampered their ability to deal with external threats.

VILenin

Revolutionary Leader
56 Badges
Dec 24, 2004
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2
This thread is the place for Ranger Reports and Council debates. I'd like to ask that posting in this thread be reserved for in-character discussion with any other questions/comments going in our organizational thread in the general forum of AARland.

VILenin

Revolutionary Leader
56 Badges
Dec 24, 2004
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2
(OOC: I apologize for the triple post, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling by introducing my alter ego).

Greetings fellow ambassadors! I am Lord Vezzini, representative of the great Centauri Republic. I look forward to working with my colleagues here - especially our dear friends from Earth - towards the goal of galactic peace.

But while the Centauri are committed to the cause of peace, that does not mean we will turn a blind eye to aggression against us. Certain warlike peoples pose a grave threat to all of our mutual security, and it is my hope that together we can curb and restrain the belligerence of these warmongers. If not, then the Centauri Republic might find it necessary to take certain acts to secure our planetary security.

Berrrie

Captain
11 Badges
Sep 22, 2006
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • East India Company
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Prologue: Game and race settings

[This post will be OCC...]

I decided to give a short overview of the game and race settings as a sort of warm-up. There are people involved in this game who aren’t familiar with Galactic Civilizations 2, so this can’t hurt.

I will try to update this AAR once a week. That said, because of something called real life (work, wife, kid,…), I can’t give any guarantees. The updates will come when they come, but as Paradox customers, you are all familiar with the concept… ;)
I already played a bit so you can expect a real report later this week.

I will write the updates mostly as reports to the council from the point of view of Ranger One. I will try to include as much information (maps, stats,…) of the other races as possible, so the ambassadors of the other races can play their role. It is however possible to request certain information about your race or overview maps. I will try to provide these if any way possible.
At the beginning of the game I will give reports covering a quarter of a game year. As things progress, the period covered by the reports can change.

So now the game settings…

Galaxy setup

First the setup of our galaxy. We inhabit a large galaxy with a fair amount of stars and planets. This means the races will have some room to expand and colonize planets. Although the number of habitable planets is limited to prevent that production of ships and stuff skyrockets. Together with the “tight cluster” setting this also helps to form smoother borders. The technology rate is set at normal and all victory conditions are enabled. I presumed that every victory condition is plausible in the Babylon 5 universe.

Abilities and starting techs

At the start of the game you receive a few points to pick up some bonuses for your race. Most abilities and starting techs are already set, but you get the chance to do a few tweaks. I decided to give the Rangers some extra courage and morale as that seemed to fit them well.

Opponents

The most important opponents (or possible allies) of the Rangers...
Present are the Earth Alliance, the Narn Regime, the Minbari, the Centauri Republic, the Shadows and the Vorlons. There are possible other minor races present in the galaxy, but we have no influence on the number and which races will be present. The rangers have already established relations with everybody but the Shadows and the Vorlons.
And to conclude, the difficulty level is set at normal. Hey give me a break, I’m not an expert at this game… :eek:o

So, let the intrigues begin…

Last edited:

Woody Man

SWMH Bretwalda
112 Badges
May 12, 2004
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • East India Company Collection
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
OOC - Just to subscribe myself and introduce me

My Fellow Ambassadors, I bring greetings from the Earth Alliance.

Allow me to introduce myself, I am Siegfried Holzaus, I look forward to working with you all towards the noble endeavour of galactic peace and prosperity. The Earth Alliance holds it position and obligations within the galaxy with great pride and responsibility. Though we may be a relatively new arrival to galactic politics, we will not falter or fail in our protection of the alliance's mutual security. To this end, I am authorised to pronounce the the Earth Alliance will not be swayed from its correct course in the near future.

unmerged(28944)

Would-be King of Dragons
May 10, 2004

I am Alyt Kesseyl, Ambassadors, of Minbar as you can see. I serve Minbari by offering my services as Ambassador to the Council from the Minbari Federation, despite being Warrior Caste,. We Minbari seek only to ensure peaceful relations between the Younger Races and have no desire for war, as past history has shown, when the need arises, the Minbari are a terrible power. Let us hope it never happens again in our life times... or the lifetimes of our children.

Rensslaer

Strategy GuidAAR
25 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
www.orinthia.net
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II

The Narn, with our peaceful nature, were once content to roam the forests and jungles of our native world, farming, cooperating and engaging in deep contemplation. That was until the Centauri made a deceitful overture toward us, and instead came to control and enslave our people. They destroyed our natural habitats, and tried their best to make a wasteland of our planet.

Only in the rifts of our planet do we have the comfort of our jungles, today.

Only after a long, and bloody struggle did we throw them off. We re-established ourselves as the masters of our own destiny. Never again!

Our recent history may have been one of victimhood, at the hands of our ruthless neighbors, the Centauri. But that shall not be our future history. We are strong, and shall become stronger, and shall never be victimized again!

Our strength will testify to itself. In the meantime, we will engage peacefully with all who do not seek to harm our people. This is what we prefer -- this is our nature. We are warriors, but we were artisans and merchants first. We welcome all people... except our blood enemies, the Centauri.

I am Ambassador G'Taleph, at your service.

Herbert West

Field Marshal
62 Badges
Jul 24, 2006
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Darkest Hour
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH
  • Victoria 2

Morden entered the room in a suit of the latest fashion, visibly of the highest quality and price afforadble in the universe, and bowed to each ambassador in turn. He bowed particulary long to the Vorlon ambassabor, and looked at his helmet with a faint smile.

My fellow ambassador, most honoured representatives of the Leage Of Non-Aligned Worlds, and members of the Babylon Five Advisory Council.

I represent a group of associated interests that wishes to take a great responsiblity and to share the big burden of governing the boat of diplomacy on the tides of space. We offer our cooperation and advise, which will surely be of use to all of you, for the usual diplomatic fees. We will help you, if you know what you want.

My associates wish it that contact is to be established trough me. My name is Morden.

Morden than handed out name-card with inforamtion on it in all major languages and the uniformed code for interstellar communication, smiled at each ambassador in turn, then left the room.

OOC: What do you think of my mood-setter?

VILenin

Revolutionary Leader
56 Badges
Dec 24, 2004
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2
Rensslaer said:

The Narn, with our peaceful nature, were once content to roam the forests and jungles of our native world, farming, cooperating and engaging in deep contemplation. That was until the Centauri made a deceitful overture toward us, and instead came to control and enslave our people. They destroyed our natural habitats, and tried their best to make a wasteland of our planet.

Only in the rifts of our planet do we have the comfort of our jungles, today.

Only after a long, and bloody struggle did we throw them off. We re-established ourselves as the masters of our own destiny. Never again!

Our recent history may have been one of victimhood, at the hands of our ruthless neighbors, the Centauri. But that shall not be our future history. We are strong, and shall become stronger, and shall never be victimized again!

Our strength will testify to itself. In the meantime, we will engage peacefully with all who do not seek to harm our people. This is what we prefer -- this is our nature. We are warriors, but we were artisans and merchants first. We welcome all people... except our blood enemies, the Centauri.

I am Ambassador G'Taleph, at your service.

Pah! Narn propaganda! We Centauri came to the Narn homeworld peacefully, seeking only to teach and help their race. It was only after we had invested considerable time and resources into their world that the Narns began their terrorist campaigns against us. Of course, we left when it was clear we were not wanted but their violence and greed know no bounds! The Narn have pursued us to this day, always seeking to sully our good name and take that which is rightfully Centauri. I urge the rest of the Council not to be taken in by these vile lies and to let the belligerence of the Narns speak for itself.

I send a warning to "Ambassador" G'Telaph: any attempt by the Narn Regime to infringe on our sovreign rights will be met with swift and immediate action!

[OOC to Herbert West:] I was thinking about how it might be best to handle the Shadow "ambassador" position but wasn't really sure so use whatever you think is best. Good job channeling Morden. :) And thank you Berrie for your overview! Looking forward to the first "official" report.

canonized

Heartbreaker
68 Badges
Oct 10, 2006
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • March of the Eagles

The Vorlon Transport . A living organism whose passenger has seen the ages of time pass . An organism that floats through space with the energy of knowing that the soul it carries nourishes it and provides its reason and balance . It waits in the dock of the station always at the ready for its master to provide it with order .

Kosh , Ambassador Kosh . His encounter suit lumbers along like the machinations of the galaxy keeps the stars in motion . Inside there is mystery but no shadow . Outside , there is enigma and silence .

He watches the younger races and the ambassador the invisible ones have chosen . His Iris brings all things into focus and the flicker of the mosaic on his suit signals a whisper but it quickly fades . The Observer continues his thoughts instead .

unmerged(28944)

Would-be King of Dragons
May 10, 2004

In Valen's Name! I would have hoped that at the very least the ambassadors of both the Narn and the Centauri Republic would have the ability to restrain their passions within the confines of the ambassadorial hall. I see I shall be disappointed.

Berrrie

Captain
11 Badges
Sep 22, 2006
  • East India Company
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
Part 1: Status Report 1 Jan 2255 - 31 mars 2255

We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One.​

Marcus I, 15 april 2255

Dear members of the council,
Honorable ambassadors,

It is with great pleasure that I present today my quarterly report about the state of affairs in the galaxy. Today’s report will cover following sections: Colonization, Diplomacy, Economy, Research and Military.

Colonization

The Anla’Shok colonized two planets. The first one was the planet baptized as Clair IV in the Clair system. The planet was classified as a “class 12”. A first inspection of the planet didn’t reveal much in the form of resources or useful artifacts. Both a factory and a market center were constructed on the planet.

The second colonized planet was Imoth in the Rangers home system of Marcus. This class 10 planet seems to have a lot of potential, mostly in terms of production. We can expect this planet to become a major shipyard in the future. As such, construction of several factories and a starport are already well on their way.

In general there still seems to be much to explore in the galaxy and the different races can expect to discover much more planets, ready to be colonized. During our explorations we have also discovered some debris of a unknown, but apparently ancient ship, which proved to be full of strange technology. Does this mean there were once other, highly evolved species in the galaxy?

Diplomacy

We are very happy to report that all is quiet and peaceful in the galaxy. During our explorations, we even had a surprising encounter with Kosh, the honorable Vorlon Ambassador. The Vorlons were interested in exchanging some technology. We offered Xeno trade research for Xeno Industrial Theory and 30 Bc.

We hope that this kind of cooperation and further trade deals will help to bring the species of this galaxy closer together…

Economy

Sadly, trade is practically non-existent in the galaxy. Protectionism is still in the minds of every specie. I feel we must try to embrace trade as a way to strengthen the ties between our people. I urge the council to strive towards a stronger intergalactic trade as this will benefit everybody in the galaxy.

Research

Many interesting discoveries have been made these past months. The most remarkable discovery situates in the field of propulsion techniques. The discovery of the Ion Drive will help to bridge the vast distances in the galaxy much faster. A truly outstanding discovery!

We also decided to present the council today with a study into the relative technological progress of the different races. The results are as following:

1. Vorlons
2. Narn Regime
3. Anla’Shok and
Minbari Federation
5. Centauri Republic
6. Earth Alliance

Unknown: The Shadows

Military

There is not much to report on this matter because of a lack of information. The only thing worth mentioning is the fact that a new colony ship was designed, using the faster Ion Drive.

To conclude I can offer the council this strategic layout of the to us known galaxy:

In the center is the sphere of influence of the Anla'Shok. The territory of the Centauri Republic is marked by a right line, that of the Vorlons by a white line.

With kind regards,

Ranger One

Delenn

VILenin

Revolutionary Leader
56 Badges
Dec 24, 2004
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2

I thank the Anla'shok and their leader for their report. And in response, I have a motion to put before the Council.

Fellow Ambassadors, as we try and build an organization of peace throughout the galaxy we must be sure of our priorities. We Centauri know that in politics, or anything else, there are two things that matter matter above all others: knowledge and power. And both of these things can be bought for the right amount of coin. Therefore I propose that in the next standard year the Rangers make it a priority to establish a series of starbases geared towards stimulating the economic growth of the region and promoting future trade.

The proposal is as follows:

Centauri Ambassador said:
Directive: Within one standard year of this meeting (end of Yr2 Q1) the Rangers shall construct no less than three Economy-model starbases at locations to be determined by Ranger One. These starbases should be upgraded with trade modules as soon as possible to promote interstellar trade.
A strong alliance must begin with a firm foundation, the best that money can buy. I ask my colleagues to approve this resolution with all due haste.

[OOC: A motion has been proposed and may now be debated or voted upon. Once a majority of affirmative/negative votes are cast the motion is then passed/rejected. Only the proposer (myself in this case) can alter the motion but this doesn't stop another ambassador from proposing a motion of their own.]

Rensslaer

Strategy GuidAAR
25 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
www.orinthia.net
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II

Ambassador G'Taleph would like to address the Council, in response to this suspicious proposal.

I am very concerned about what the real motivations for this might be. First, I should point out that the Centauri are not known for making selfless proposals. Why was this not proposed by the Minbari, or the Humans? Ask yourself... Why are the Centauri behind this proposal? What do they have to gain? What do they have to hide?

Secondly, the Rangers are meant to be a neutral, peacekeeping force. Why would they need to build a large number of starbases, and control territory, such as my... good "friend" proposes? This sounds like he means to build up the Rangers as a rival to other powers... Who is there, do you suppose, to watch? Who will they go to war with?

There is no aggressive power among us, who intends conquest against the others...

Not, I do mean, unless it is the power BEHIND this proposal...

I shall put forward, for your consideration, the thought that this is, for one, an unnecessary step at this time, and the Narn, in particular, feel threatened by this play for power by the Centauri. Which I'm SURE you can understand, knowing our history.

I shall not cast our vote, now. But I wish to express our distrust of this proposal, and ask that you consider our opinion very strongly. Perhaps your races have not seen the treachery of the Centauri Empire. But we, the Narn, are... intimately familiar with it. I ask you to consider that, as a relevant point against this plan.

Thank you.

VILenin

Revolutionary Leader
56 Badges
Dec 24, 2004
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2

The Narn are a suspicious, one might even say paranoid, people but this latest statement from my "friend" G'Telaph is quite something even for them! The Humans have a phrase, "conspiracy theory," and that is exactly what the Narn Ambassador is putting forth.

Perhaps my esteemed colleague did not hear my correctly when I said that we should construct economic starbasesd? This is not surprising, they do after all have no ears, only these little holes in the sides of their head. So I shall repeat myself; the starbases I propose constructing would be solely for economic purposes such as promoting trade. The thought they would be armed had not even entered my mind. After all, why would they need to be? We are all friendly powers here, yes? I am sure that everyone is participating in this alliance in good faith, just as the Centauri are.

Nevertheless, I would like to point out to the other ambassadors that this is an example of what I was saying about the belligerence of the Narn Regime. I say economic starbase and they assume it to be a military installation! Perhaps the Narn are in habit of heavily arming all of their constructions but that is a reflection of themselves and no one else.

Rensslaer

Strategy GuidAAR
25 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
www.orinthia.net
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II

Haha! My colleague jests, surely, when he says the Narn are a belligerent people. Yet, all of you know that we have never committed an act of war against another race. Certainly very unlike... The Centauri.

But, if my friend protests that these starbases will have solely an economic purpose, then I am certain that he would accept a friendly amendment...

I hereby move that these starbases be restricted ONLY to economic purposes, indefinitely, until such time as a vote of the full Council votes otherwise.

Surely, if my colleague's intent is as he says, then he will agree to this.

Berrrie

Captain
11 Badges
Sep 22, 2006
  • East India Company
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club

I would urge the ambassadors of the Narn Regime and the Centauri Republic to look further then their historical animosity. As already put forth in the report, the Rangers are of the opinion that intergalactic trade is the key to establishing good and lasting relations between the the inhabitants of this galaxy.

As such we can support the motion of building economic starbases as this will help to streamline the trade and bring in more revenue.

Thank you

VILenin

Revolutionary Leader
56 Badges
Dec 24, 2004
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2

I, for my part, do not think it prudent to needlessly tie the hands of the Rangers by prohibiting them from adding defenses to their starbases should it become necessary. Therefore I refuse to amend my motion as proposed by the Narn ambassador.

Rensslaer

Strategy GuidAAR
25 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
www.orinthia.net
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II

See, then!

My colleague admits that his assurance that these starbases would be for purely economic purposes was mere posturing. He intends to arm these starbases at some point.

I remind you that, for obvious reasons, the Narn are distrustful of any assurances by the Centauri. They once offered us their hand in trust, and were embraced, and yet stabbed us in the back.

How are we to know, then, that they will not find some way to arm these starbases and use them against the Narn?

I would ask for one of two assurances from my other colleagues... Either a second on my motion to guarantee that these starbases will never be armed without the approval of the full Council...

Or a guarantee from the Minbari, with whom the Rangers have a special relationship, that they will protect the Narn from any kind of Centauri aggression against us.

I await the favorable response of my other colleagues...

Herbert West

Field Marshal
62 Badges
Jul 24, 2006
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Darkest Hour
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH
  • Victoria 2
My dearest Ambassadors, especially Ambassador G'Taleph!

I see no reason why the Anal-Shok should not bulid trade stations on their territory. I aslo see no reason why they should not be armed for self-defence. Piracy is a very real threat, after all. Why, even our most esteemed place, Babylon 5 is all but unarmed.

But, I must state that my associates are willing to mediate conflicts for a nominal fee.

So, we agree with the proposition of the Centauri Republic. We must, however remind the ambassador of the Republic that we will take greater conisderation in endorsing his future propositions should this one turn out to be one of armamanet, and not one of economy.

OOC: Can PMs be sent for plotting?