The Aviarium Continuum: The Greater Flight of the Bird People - A Mildly Interactive/Democratic AAR

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Party Choice

First choice: Albatross Alliance
Second choice: Dove Lobby

I just wanted to comment that this is an excellent AAR that makes the feeling of a broken computer all the more bitter in that I can't feel this magnificent saga for myself :(

2355 General Elections (take 1)

Alright, here's the scoop.

bc1zwsh.png

With all votes counted, in order of size:

- The Albatross Alliance received 30,5% of the vote and gained 304 mandates.
- The Hawk Lobby and the Falcon Front both received 26% of the vote and gained 261 mandates.
- The Dove Lobby gained only 17,5% of the vote and secured 174 mandates.

Obviously no party could manage a sole majority, so the process moved on to the second rule:

- The Albatross Alliance and Dove Lobby both had a majority for a coalition (86% and 75% respectively), but together they could only manage 478 mandates, not enough for an effective majority.
- The Hawk Lobby was majorly in favor of alliance with the Dove lobby, but only 25% of the dove lobby reciprocated this and they would not be able to count to 500 mandates regardless.
- The Falcon Front was all over the place in terms of who to join up with, a third pointing at each other party.

The third rule yielded no stable governments either.

The first election result was hence a hung parliament. Talks of simply extending the votes were turned down by the Hawk Lobby and Falcon front as it seemed possible that the constituents would simply vote for the Albatross Alliance and/or Dove Lobby to secure enough votes to form a government. Doing a showdown re-election pitting the two largest blocks against one another was also discussed and dismissed as there was no alternative to Albatross-Dove. Forming a unity government was also dismissed at the disagreements on AI were too severe for political unity.

There was no way around it, a re-election had to be called! This time there are two changes to the election rules in an effort to avoid another hung parliament:

- The largest party, if there is such a thing, will receive 100 bonus mandates after the initial 900 are distributed. This rule supersedes the 45% rule as it essentially accomplishes the same but helps government formation also in coalition governments.
- To form a government by the 2nd set of rules, only the largest plurality of voters for a party is needed. If party A had 40% voting for unity with party B, 35% for party C and 25% for party D, then they will point at party B even if there were not 50%+

Elections are reset and now active until Thursday 30th 16:00 CEST.

(I am sorry about this, but I don't think it's right that I bend my own rules just to avoid delaying the AAR a little. Looking at the election rules, they were obviously optimized for three parties, not 4-5. A new election, however, should have the new rules established beforehand instead of applied retroactively.)

Election Bill

First choice:
Second Choice:

Last edited:
Election Bill

First Choice: Dove
Second Choice: Hawk

Maybe extend voiting until next monday? More people will vote

Ah, true but I also kind of want to move along the AAR and since this is a re-vote, hopefully enough people will notice - i suspect many postpone reading long chapters until the weekend due to time constraints.

I think one think I will do is answer everyone who voted so they get a notice about it. Would also be a tad awkward to answer posts made by people who've made new ones since.

Party Choice
First Choice: Hawk
Second Choice: Dove

A general message to everyone: Due to a hung parliament there is a re-election with slightly altered election rules to increase stability.

Party Choice

First choice: Albatross

A general message to everyone: Due to a hung parliament there is a re-election with slightly altered election rules to increase stability.

Democratic Utopia is dead :,(

Party Choice

First choice: Albatross

I do think it was necessary so every election wouldn't make a sudden transformation of the Aviarium a thing. I wanted to give people an option to opt for some of the government changes people would find interesting, but I think a party would drop it if they lost the next election because of it. The Falcon Front doesn't care so much since it was their entire thing.

Party Choice

First Choice: Hawk

The Condign Entente are already falling to diplomacy, the Aviarium should finish off the larger threats.

Edit: And I'd love to see an AI-heavy successor game.

I don't think a successor game is going to *more* AI heavy, as the Aviarium is already pretty heavy on the AI side. I'm heavily considering a spiritualist-xenophile playthrough because I've been criticizing the changes to both ethics. The next game is also likely to be some sort of oligarchy with warp as I haven't tried either yet.

First choice: Hawk
Second choice: Dove

First choice: Dove
Second Choice: Albatross

Synths must be accepted as our equals!

They're actually slightly superior in every imaginable way. Unles they get in the "Let's murder all the bags of mostly water" mood.

Election bill:

Party Choice

First choice: Falcon Front
Second Choice: Hawk Lobby

Second choice: Dove

I never thought I would vote for the Hawk lobby, but the other parties policies on robots left me no choice...
As I believe some paths are simply to risky to even try.

Ah! But other parties would argue that someone else is going to do it eventually. Do you want your little [INSERT_SPAWNLINGS_TYPE] to grow up thinking the Aviarium Continuum is technologically behind everyone!?

(Hawk Lobbyists might argue that if the synths did rebel, they'd be far, far more dangerous than droids.)

First Choice: Falcon

I'm conflicted - I believe that the military plans of the falcons and the albatrosses make the most sense and I don't like the idea of giving synths civil rights so I put the falcons first. I too think that the falcons favor a strong central government over strong sectors which is the second reason why I put them first. But I fear the conversion to the type of government the falcons favour and try to install if they get the necessary votes so my plan was at first to vote for Hawk/Albatross but that would have not allowed the research of synths...
In the end it's a tactical vote because after looking at the other votes it seems that few people favoured the Falcon Front so my hope is that the falcons don't get the necessary votes to reform the government but enough to push their military plans and views on the research of synths.

PS: poimniocracy is supposed to be a mixture of the old greek word for "flock" (poimnos) and kratos meaning rule or power - so the rule of the flock.
Of course I didn't put much of a research in this and I bet it doesn't really mean what it's supposed to mean but I liked the sound of the word ;)

I do like some insight into why people vote as they do. Tactical voting is something I'm interested to see, because you see the same thing in real democracies.

Well, as for your poimniocracy at least I enjoyed some interesting music while playing the last session. (Also "rule by flock" sounds like some kind of crazy Neural Network thing. That's borderline treason, sir!)

This is amazing. You're writing something really fascinating here. I'm on tenterhooks.

Party Choice

First choice: Falcon

Much as I hate to leave the Doves and support a group as radical as the Falcons, right now they're the only ones speaking sense. Synths are not people, can never be people, and should only be allowed to exist inasmuch as they improve the lives of people. Giving them any sort of rights would be absurd.

I'll ring in the Falcon Front as they've taken an interest in your wisdom:

Absurd indeed. We'd call them toasters, but they can't even toast properly unless you overload their capacitors.

Why do I get the strange feeling that people are trying to get me to fight the rise of the machines? People couldn't possibly be doing that to make for an interesting plot, could they? Ah well, there's a high chance I'll end up fighting an AI rebellion if the Albatross or Doves win as well, and if the Hawks win, some other end-game crisis will probably pop soon.

In other news: A general message to everyone: Due to a hung parliament there is a re-election with slightly altered election rules to increase stability.

Election:
1st choice: Dove
2nd choice: Albatross

And I've been one of those 25% of people. Until now.

Party Choice
First Choice : Falcon
Second Choice : Hawk

We've brought down the last remnants of the old order in the Gurite Guardians, now it's time for the petty realms of this age to bow down to the Continuum. We have the technology, and they only have their knees.

Frankly I just want to see it all burn. Enslaved synths, endless war and dictatorship ? Sign me up !

It's not dictatorship! It's strong and direct leadership the Aviarium needs

(or an utter destruction of the principles of the Aviarium if you ask any other party, but what do they know?)

In other news: A general message to everyone: Due to a hung parliament there is a re-election with slightly altered election rules to increase stability.

I'd also like to thank you for your support thus far. You are the only reader who has been voting on every update since the first chapter!

Party Choice
First Choice: Albatross

I've only been observing until now, but I think I'll cast a vote. Falcons, we'll be laughing when the AI rise up against you.

You guys are seagulls the lot of you (nobody like seagulls in Bird culture. Fact.)

Party Choice

First Choice: Hawk Lobby
Second Choice: Dove Lobby

Party Choice

The Hawk-Dove coalition instituted many policies I was strongly against. The banning of genetically superior leaders is foolish and short sighted. We should not be focusing on enhancing droids, but rather on enhancing our genetic characteristics and those of the many citizens of the Aviarium. While I agree with the current expansion policies of the Dove and once again they seem to be very much a party I agree with in some circles, their domestic policies are diverging more and more from my own views. It is time for a change. Perhaps this new Stratocracy that the falcons have presented will allow for Neo-Bird people to achieve lasting leadership of the Continuum.

Election bill:

Party Choice

What's so good about Neo-Bird people. They all smell and are very rude. (Don't let them hear that or they'll break your beak with their freakish strong wings)

Party Choice

Party Choice

First choice: Albatross Alliance
Second choice: Dove Lobby

I just wanted to comment that this is an excellent AAR that makes the feeling of a broken computer all the more bitter in that I can't feel this magnificent saga for myself :(

I really enjoy writing AARs despite the workload added to the game. Beyond engaging with the community (best part, having it somewhat interactive makes it even better) It allows the writer to connect better with the game itself, remembering which wars you fought and how you deal with this or that conflict. In a normal game it all sort of blends together if you're not careful.

Party Choice

Party Choice

Second Choice: Falcon

Hey guys, I heard a rumour that there was a reelection with slightly altered rules to increase stability. I can't find a link to it anywhere though; @Yenzen, would you be so kind? :p

Election Bill

Hey guys, I heard a rumour that there was a reelection with slightly altered rules to increase stability. I can't find a link to it anywhere though; @Yenzen, would you be so kind? :p

There's no kill like overkill, or so the crew of the kinetic artillery and tachyon lance ships would have you believe.

Election Bill
First Choice: Hawk Lobby
Second Choice: Albatros Alliance (they got more votes as the doves)

For a moment I thought choicing Falcon as my 2nd choice but they are against everything I stand for.

Last edited: