The Aviarium Continuum: The Greater Flight of the Bird People - A Mildly Interactive/Democratic AAR

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think we have moral duties to those who will be living in the future.
The quality of life of Bird People in the future is affected by the choice, or the lack of choice, of our political representatives.

This vote is a race against the clock.
To avoid our extermination, vote Hawk.

Make our Fleet Great Again.

First choice : Hawk
Second Choice : Sparrow

One note if anyone's interested: I had someone who agreed to make a banner for the front page.

Sadly it didn't work out, so if any of you have a smidgen of artistic talent compared to my complete deficit, I'd be very interested.

Let it not be said that I am one who will blindly vote for the same Party Choice again and again. It is policy that matters and for the age set now before us, I think it is time we let the Sparrow's take flight with the government once again. Peaceful expansion and focus on our colonies should be the primary concern right now, yet we need to be idle and building a formidable fleet for the time of troubles seems prudent.

First choice: Sparrow
Second Choice: Dove

One note if anyone's interested: I had someone who agreed to make a banner for the front page.

Sadly it didn't work out, so if any of you have a smidgen of artistic talent compared to my complete deficit, I'd be very interested.
What sort of banner? Just some text over a picture, or...?

First choice: Dove
Second choice: Sparrow

The war against the Othari was fought to gain access to new parts of the galaxy, so not pushing the colonisation would render the whole war and deaths of many good Bird People soldiers meaningless.

First Choice: Dove
Second Choice Hawk

We must integrate the smug-slugs into our population, and focus on building up our people and our economy, rather than rushing into another costly war.

What sort of banner? Just some text over a picture, or...?

Previously the plan was to have something unique drawn, but the artist I had been in contact with cancelled after a while, so now I'm not so picky anymore. I just think the front page is a bit bare bones right now.

It looks like we're back to a Dove-only government, unless the Hawks manage to get at least 3 more votes. The Sparrows are on their way to extinction, benefiting especially the Doves.

The vote closes. Will try to have a new chapter up before the end of the week.

I'm going to try and use the beta patch. It should not break the savegame and I will move on to the official 1.1 anyway.

First Vote : Dove
Second Vote : Hawk

Good luck with the rebels. I still haven't had to deal with any.

There's quite a lot :-/. I was surprised at how fast they accumulated, since mostly they're kind of annoyed, not outright pissed.

Wildfire you say?

Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Seemed fitting. So many missiles.

It's kind of weird, in my pacifist MP game I keep getting spammed with every possible military weapon tech, right now I hardly get anything but bigger and better missiles. o_O

First Choice: Sparrow
Whilst the Hawks do have an excellent policy for integrating bronze age civilizations, I think it would be best to not attack the coallation against us. Let them weaken themselfes with inner strive or pointless wars against a third party.

Haha, that's doubtless the best policy of theirs matched almost by the Sparrow's "they're bronze age ffs, let's just look at them with giant telescopes and probe them once in a while".

We should colonize in the Northwest and Northeast (beyond Holden system) directions. To
strengthen our expansion an get more proper colonists for new worlds we should sign migration treaties with democratic civilizations we haven't these treaties yet.

It'd be a race to gain border control of the hyperlane bridge there! Let's see how it goes.

Regarding treaties... man the Aviarium lucked out with the Bhenn'Thell. The few who adopted Aviarium ethics are rapidly spread across the Aviarium space on arctic (and sometimes tundra though Bird People can actually handle those) planets.

Problem is that with the addition of the Othari, the Aviarium now cover every type with at least 60% habitability:

- Bird person: Desert, Arid, Tundra.
- Bhenn'Thell: Arctic, Tundra, Ocean.
- Othari: Continental, Tropical, Ocean.

It's hard to find any population out there belonging to the Tropical-Ocean axis, who are individualist/militarist/materialist, who also want to permit migration. For now it seems to me that the Aviarium should focus on species who are internally a good fit, but I might look AI nations through in the future to see if I have any which would be at home in the Aviarium!

I've heard people freak out at the idea of giving up the control of collectivist nations and having to deal with not being able to force migrate populations. I really don't mind the individualist ways of just letting them figure it out on their own. Once I get large enough, I don't want to deal with specifics of what precise POP works which tile. +10-20% on a single planet tile is largely irrelevant to me, as long as they're not unhappy. That is to say, I don't think traits matter too much in the mid-late game.

First choice: Hawks
Second choice: Dove

We need to keep our hegemony so we can continue to enlighten our part of the galaxy. While swift military action is the best course to pursue, the Dove's policy of consolidation will also let us achieve this goal albeit slower. As shown in the last war, a resourceful empire is able to compete with more prepared opponents, even if it will lead to avoidable losses. In contrast, the Sparrow's indecisive policies or armed neutrality will let our enemies grow stronger, without increasing our overall industrial strength.

Yes to smug slugs - no to stagnation!

In this case the Doves and Sparrows would actually allow faster growth, though the disregard for the fleet at this can be a bit worrisome as the galaxy arms itself. This Drull-Perfen federation might keep adding members, so not having struck them early on may turn out to have been equally foolish.

I think we have moral duties to those who will be living in the future.
The quality of life of Bird People in the future is affected by the choice, or the lack of choice, of our political representatives.

This vote is a race against the clock.
To avoid our extermination, vote Hawk.

Make our Fleet Great Again.

First choice : Hawk
Second Choice : Sparrow

Goes in line with a potential outcome described above as well, but we'll see!

Let it not be said that I am one who will blindly vote for the same Party Choice again and again. It is policy that matters and for the age set now before us, I think it is time we let the Sparrow's take flight with the government once again. Peaceful expansion and focus on our colonies should be the primary concern right now, yet we need to be idle and building a formidable fleet for the time of troubles seems prudent.

First choice: Sparrow

I did try to make them fairly even-handed in this (and not wanting to waste 40-50 years to enlighten a bronze age civilization). However, it also seemed that I also failed to make them stand out more, or perhaps their time in the Murmuration has simply run its course.

The war against the Othari was fought to gain access to new parts of the galaxy, so not pushing the colonization would render the whole war and deaths of many good Bird People soldiers meaningless.

Pushing for colonization is certainly something I'd do regardless, though. I was surprised to see so much of the coreward parts of the galaxy arms unclaimed.

First Choice: Dove
Second Choice Hawk

We must integrate the smug-slugs into our population, and focus on building up our people and our economy, rather than rushing into another costly war.

Said integration will cost a prohibitive amount of time, energy and minerals though :eek:.

It looks like we're back to a Dove-only government, unless the Hawks manage to get at least 3 more votes. The Sparrows are on their way to extinction, benefiting especially the Doves.

It does seem that way, though the few sparrow voters there were, seemed oriented towards coalition with the Dove Lobby. It has been interesting to watch their migration from being one of the largest parties, becmoing the majority party preferring a coalition with the Hawk Lobby, to being equally split, to supporting the Dove Lobby. Over this period they've gradually lost support, and I wonder if it has been the attrition of being a long term side party after the first election without as sharp a profile as the Dove or Hawk lobby, or just me failing to give them enough uniqueness.

Overall, it's hard to pretend that in this game there are aren't optimal things to do. The best I can do is to try to balance the parties' suggestions so that there's always something good (colonial land-grap), mixed with something sub-optimal:

- Uplifting a bronze age civilization will cost energy and research for 40-50 years! We already have species covering all planet types except tomb worlds anyway.
- Expanding by war right now would be far more expensive than more colonies.
- Researching the smugslugs with anal probes from afar isn't really worth giving up a planet at this stage.

2265 General Elections

lGnEx93.png

- With 9% of the vote (2/23), the Sparrow Lobby is out of Murmuration for the first time in 65 years.
- With 52% of the vote (12/23) the Dove Lobby secures a majority of 172 mandates.
- With 39% of the vote (9/23) the Hawk Lobby secures 128 mandates.

The government formation is quite simple as the Dove Lobby forms a unitary majority government and installs policies accordingly. Meanwhile, there is an upheaval among the Sparrow Lobby supporters, as it start to look inwards on where they lost the public support.

Chapter 4: 2265-2280 - Sanctum & League

Other than changing official policies to remove any trace of the Sparrow Lobby, the Dove government quickly pull every possible trick they can to convince the population of the Othari Republic of the legitimacy of their new government:

- The most experienced governor of the Aviarium was pulled from Aetheria to govern the entire Othari Republic sector.
- Bombing was set to limited and first contact to peaceful (as pr official policy anyway).
- Media companies working against the Aviarium were silenced at every level.

It worked slowly, but surely, to make the discontent slowly burn out, to be replaced by stoic acceptance:

KWFaPGM.jpg

"Don't you guys just hate the Bird people?" - "eh.."

The faction never lost its militancy, but the amount of Othari willing to rise in rebellion dwindled sharply as the years passed. It was hard to argue against the fact that other than not permitting Othari at the highest level, life under the Aviarium Continuum wasn't that different. The leaders didn't much care about the collectivist ways of most Othari, provided they paid their taxes. The only point of conflict was civil opposition to those few Othari who signed up for the military and fleet.

Said taxes were put into the massive colonial push. There were over a dozen planets now open to colonization and a third of a galaxy arm. Beyond that, another arm seemed ripe for the taking (though military intelligence was very skeptical that there were absolutely no empires in the area). First matters was spreading colonies to claim all space in the area, as well as rushing east to secure the frontier hyperlanes to the last galaxy arm.

s3u51He.jpg

This can be used to pinpoint most locations I'll probably mention later.

While there were no empires, another pre-space civilization was found in the Kauri system. Given the costs of uplifting a bronze age civilization, nothing was done but to put an observation post to takes notes on how badass their version of early 1930's cinema in their machine age civilization was.

PLvHIhi.jpg

They make terrible monster films about giant birds from space take them over. The scientists charged with observing them love it.

As the Aviarium explored the frontiers of their newly claimed territory, the Sanctuary system turned out to have quite a fitting name.

cfxsNUN.jpg

:eek:

That may be a little above your pay grade, Wings of Lavender!

Eln0kSF.jpg

The sheer size of that thing was maddening. Four segments were fully functional, each worth 25 tiles (the largest possible planet), while the rest were either broken or seemed to have functions to generate energy.

Considering the extent of the defenses, nothing could be done, but to leave it alone for the time being.

Across the eastern bridge, northwest of the Wicklar system, another civilization on a 25-tile planet was found in the Uldor system. While ripe for colonization anyhow, the Dove policy of passive studies only prevented taking away a homeworld from another species.

jnZ8Dfd.jpg

While relatively tiny, the neighboring planet in the same system had an 8-tile Gaia moon (Uldor IIa, later Ury) which was settled to gain a foothold in this new sector, along with the planet of a nearby system. These would form the early basis for the Eastcore Sector.

While the research into and expansion of mining colonies tries to keep up with the colonization effort, there was little that could be done to keep "private enterprises" from building mines without purchasing government permits.

AOXuFri.jpg

The bureaucracy will not be tamed by your pirate mining ways!

Strange new life was being discovered on the fringes, too.

L39ZAlQ.jpg

I know a guy who used ethanol instead of water as a solvent. He's better now.

Oh wow, that's way too sober a joke about reality to use for this AAR. Oh damn, that's way the wrong word to use to try and make it better.

Damn this is awkward. Everyone pay attention to the geothermal gush of energy credits instead!

QtyotLI.jpg

All better.

By 2069 scientists of the Aviarium had gained enough experience to continue making discoveries concerning the First League. Turns out they had been facing quite a potent threat.

NlwNITz.jpg

Extragalactic invaders? Seems far fetched to me.

All in all, the colonization effort was also a time of scientific progress as research started to be made into worker robots and colonizing continental worlds. Feathers of Khaki, who was always female and I always referred to her as such and any claim otherwise is treason to the Aviarium Continuum, continued to be the wisest investment into a scientist the Aviarium had ever made. (seriously, she's unlocked four planet types during her tenure by now. That trait must be extremely heavily weighed towards colonization tech.)

Kf8DIVQ.jpg

Regarding the above: Yes, the Aviarium ignored battleships for some time. There was plenty of need for Corvettes of the Hale class, destroyers of the Wildfire class, and cruisers of the Inferno class anyway.

Also, it's about time the Aviarium learned to make robots of their own.

Other science discovered concerned mostly species wiping themselves out. It seemed that tragically, most factions who rose to prominence in the galaxy eventually managed to undo themselves, or regress so far inwards they ceased to care. However, sometimes it was even hard to tell if an expired civilization had done it to themselves, if someone had done it to them, or if it had all been a terribly unfortunate meeting of celestial bodies.

Psrhk21.jpg

Is this (left) better or worse than becoming another militant isolationist? I really don't know.

It soon became apparent that beyond the southernmost part of the eastern galaxy arm, the rest would not be the same open spacescape as the southern one was.

FqCrZqT.jpg

If you can't tell: These guys are powerful.They sometimes send insults calling the Aviarium Continuum cold and materialistic.

The encounter in many ways invigorated the Aviarum Continuum. While most neighbors represented a threat as an alliance of faction, these religious, xenophobic nutjobs, bowing only to their Emperor and their Space Gods, were a danger to the galaxy by their lonesome.

It didn't take long for the Aviarium to declare them a rival and threat to the free galaxy, though they lacked the fleet power to do anything about it.

In 2270, the second leader of the Aviarium Continuum and first Lord Protector, Plume of Green, died. While Claws of Purple had overseen the ascension of the Aviarium Continuum into space and overseen its ability to compete with other factions, Plume of Green had overseen the explosive expansion following the integration of the Othari Republic, as well as the increasingly multi-species Aviarium Continuum, which had left its allies far behind. Finding a new worthy leader would be difficult.

... To fill his shoes, the election had a most unexpected winner:

The new Lady Protector, Feathers of Khaki.

EYTuv1U.jpg

Unexpected because she'd been a Scientist-Captain and tenured head of society research, not because she's female. The other trait is warlike (-20% army/-15% navy cost).

An incredible mixture of science and war. The Aviarium felt that it was in good hands. Along with the discovery of the Photecian Empire, a slow but steady rearmament of the Aviarium had begun.

Even the Othari nationalists, who had previously been pacified only by the work of Plume of Green and the talent of their governor, no longer needed any of them to make the whole faction look quite... unimpressive.

6W5l0aJ.jpg

Maybe the rest switched to the People's Front of Otharia?

Every year, it seemed that new discoveries about the First League were discovered.

OHFg7Wu.jpg

Maybe that's, you know, going a bit too far with making examples?

For too long had the local Sturil system remained unexplored by scientists due to the local Crystalline Creatures. As a test of the new wildfire class, they were ordered exterminated and their carcasses investigated.

1p8dlO5.jpg

The system of Vohaul contained two great secrets: Salt and a mysterious Bird Person.

XUT9Nep.jpg

Maybe he "exiled" himself because he wanted to hog all the salt, then ran out of crackers?

Sadly, the Lady Protector herself was up in age when she was elected and died already in the year 2274. Her replacement would be Feathers of Aquamarine, who had been leading the 1st Grand Flock for years... Interestingly he refused to step down from his position as admiral, even as he was elected as Lord Protector.

Nlzdei3.jpg

The other trait is "nervous" which lowers naval capacity by 20%. Not a great concern because the Aviarium is pretty far from filling it out in the first place :rolleyes:

(I'm not sure if that's a bug or WAD, but it is awesome. Talk about leading from the front)

The new technology to settle continental planets soon made them available, but the only numerous species in the Aviarium well adapted to that climate were the Othari. The search for Othari colonists with tolerable ethics began.

MJaVBIV.jpg

Close enough.

Plume of Magneta soon reached the highest level of skill in the field of field studies and soon she was able to depart upon a quest to uncover the secrets of the precursors.

Bur first aliens... engineering achievements? Amusement parks?

... Playgrounds?

3Hddzfx.jpg

And then off to discover the secret Fen Habbanis system.

1IEgnXv.jpg

It became accessible in the north-western parts of the Coreward sector...

DHg14uK.jpg

That was it.

No great treasure, no hidden survivors, no long-lost technology. The Aviarium population had expected at least one of these things, but it soon collectively dawned upon them that that wasn't the point. There was a lesson to be learned here.

A federation of species which existed so long that the population forgotten that they would always have to fight for their survival. A war with a nomadic enemy, experiments with dangerous bio and inter-dimensional technology and a jail which could not keep its most dangerous prisoners contained.

Wonder what did them in? Perhaps it was all of it plus time.

In any case, in other interesting discovers, the Aviarium decided not to be huge cloaca-holes to their allies.

hEvHtDz.jpg

"The Exile" as he fancied himself made himself useful discovering random anomalies, though the question remained of what precisely made him abandon the Aviarium and what he had learned on that barren planet.

jIwpoLZ.jpg

Not knowing what the hell is the deal with this bird worries me more than anything. I don't think there's anything special about him, but why the gratuitous event, then?

The locals of Craw't, a newly established Coreward colony, found themselves asking how magnets functioned, and their youth started to listen way too much to the sound of terrible juggalo music.

Something was up.

6TxQOx5.jpg

The current plan is to dismantle it. The planet was fine as it was before the strange disturbances.

On the way there, Claws of Yellow, who felt that she had been cheated of the spotlight by the mysterious Exile and Plume of Magneta's discoveries regarding the First League, went about to investigate an abandoned shipyard. It churned out a couple of ships that would have been amazing 50 years ago, but now were on par with current technology.

37KZhI0.jpg

May need to be dismantled if I can't upgrade them with new hyperdrives and thrusters.

But once again she was outdone by Plume of Magneta discovering the remains of biological space vessels.

03VKuTY.jpg

While Feathers of Khaki had done much to advance the ability of the Aviarium to settle many planet types, Wings of Lavender had quite radical ideas too - that perhaps simply allowing xeno civilians to become citizens wasn't enough - perhaps xeno citizens who had served to achieve high ranks could also become elected officials?

mJwPNE3.jpg

This has caused quite a political stir in the Aviarium and will become a subject for the next election.

Meanwhile, the 1st Grand flock led by Lord Protector Feathers of Aquamarine, while still with potential to grow, has been updated in recent times:

KNRjdFF.jpg

It consists of:

- 5 Inferno-Class cruisers
- 15 Wildfire-Class missile destroyers
- 30 Halo-Class missile corvettes
- 20 Hale-Class plasma corvettes
- 2 experimental spacecrafts discovered in the far reaches of space.

Current production goals are 5 additional Infernos, 5 additional Wildfires and 10 additional Hales before taking on the Sanctuary.

But the debate remains: What to do with it afterwards?

End of Chapter 4.

Appendix: Political Situation and policies.

The Aviarium Continuum directly controls 50 planets now, with a population of 238. As you can calculate, this is quite a low population population per planet, which is caused largely because of the rapid expansion in the Coreward sector and new planets in old sectors.

FJY4bKi.jpg

Colours are a bit hard to tell (at least for me). The largest minorities are the Othari (16%), followed by the Bhenn'Thell (10%) followed by Drull'Perfen (4%) followed by robots (2%, a few in core planets about to mine some stuff). Rest are >1%.

Many resources in the Coreward sector remain untapped, and this is largely due to time (even three construction ships working at full pace have a hard time keeping up) and cost constraints. Meanwhile, many sectors, even old and powerful ones like the Proxima and Shadow sectors bear marks of the long standing 75% tax policy to fuel the expansion: Many still only have reassembled ship shelters for capitals and underdeveloped tiles.

Rise of a New Party and political changes

In protest of this development, many local parties representing the sectors have tried to get elected over these past elections and failed. However, in preparation for the 2280 elections they have not only unified, but in a bid to get re-elected the leadership of the Sparrow Lobby have unified with this sector-led movement to form an electoral alliance.

This new party is known as the Albatross Alliance and have chosen green as their party colour. Their primary concern is sector advancements, the limitation of central government, the rights of all species and even robots and expansion by both soft and hard means. They also believe that the Aviarium should work towards fully independent decision making, and hence reliance upon alliances should be avoided.

Furthermore, 80 years having passed, both the Dove and Hawk Lobby have been revising their policies to better respond to the changes that have happened in recent years. In particular they also have their own plans for sectors.

The new policies:

8nZD6j3.png

I think this is overdue. Many former policies no longer mattered. Many hold the same policies due to ethics restrictions, what really matters is their stance on larger issues after each session in my opinion.

World politics

Two especially worthwhile tidbits:

- The Stellar League is an alliance of the Bhenn'Thells, the Havarigga Hegemony and the Tebadoran Administration. The two latter border the Photecian Empire and may represent more relevant allies for the Aviarium than the Republican Force which keeps demanding federalization. (green arrows)

- Two new Fallen Empires have been reported. The Ikaaen Shard to the far north, close resembling the local Gurite Guardians and the Iztran Enclave, a religious order occupying only one star system. (white arrows)

Nxn5fHq.jpg

Look closely. You might notice something.

Political agenda of the parties for the 2280 elections

Xeno Leadership

With the growing xeno population of the Aviarium, the constitution which limits Bird People to leadership positions now seems arbitrary to many, while others point out that the Bird People leadership has gotten them very far to this point and that the natural talent of Bird People means that allowing xenos to serve as leaders will dilute the strength of the leadership.

The Hawk Lobby blocked a proposal by the Dove Lobby to amend the constitution (which requires a 75% support in the Murmuration or a regular majority vote) to declare all civillians in the Aviarium Continuum as Bird People, because they believe that this was not only a half-hearted solution, but also that any such changes should be made in a general election.

At the same time, the Hawk Lobby has seen an increase in the amount of Bhenn'Thell members, and there are voices within which also call for changing this law to allow xenos.

Contrary to this, while it was their own party which proposed it, there are elements in the Dove Lobby opposing the majority, agreeing with Hawk Lobby members that the xenos can elect any Bird Person they want and that this has worked for 80 years.

The Albatross Alliance is completely in support of this vote, as many of their members are from new Othari and Bhen'Thell colonies.

Hence, the three parties have agreed to make this a binding vote which no party will strike down after the result of the next election: Declare that any sapient biological race has the right to vote, yes or no.

Concerning the Sanctuary Ring World

There is little debate that it should be conquered by the Aviarium, however there is uncertainty on how to deal with it afterwards.

- Hawk Lobby: It should be conquered and surrounding systems added to a new sector - the Sanctum Sector - in order to break the overwhelming size of the Coreward and Eastcore sectors.
- Dove Lobby: It should be conquered and along with some eastwards colonies be added to the Eastcore sector, to make it equal to the Coreward sector in power.
- Albatross Alliance: It should be conquered... and administered by the central government to function as a new multi-species capital. The four 25-tile segments will be a perfect location to centralized the Aviarium Continuum. While Aetheria should remain under Aviarium control, the former central government systems with populated planets west of it should be given to the control of the Othari Republic. It will take a long time for the new government areas to become efficient, but we should employ robotic workers and immigration policies to speed up the process. (you can't move the capital in this game for some reason, but essentially Aetheria + the 4 segments will be the centrally controlled planets.)

The Albatross proposal faces strong criticism from both the Hawk and Dove lobby, as central government planets such as Purple Nest and Cyan Nest are already quite large and this would somewhat limit the ability of the central government to directly take control of other planets of interest.

Meanwhile the Albatross alliance holds that this is a necessary step to better orient the Central Government towards the betterment of the Aviarium as a whole.

Concerning the Lack of Sector Growth

- Hawk Lobby: Once we are done building up space stations in the coreward sector and our combined fleet, we should hand out mineral packages to sectors as need be. Other than that, taxes should generally be held at 75%.
- Dove Lobby: We should only send stimulus packages to the sectors, but also build a space station with a hydrophonic farm and solar array in every single inhabited planet. This will take a long time and require a large investment, but it is the best way to support our colonies.
- Albatross Alliance: The sectors don't need resources from the central government, they need the central government to stop taxing their lifeblood! Government taxes should be capped at 50% and only allowed to increase of a sector stockpiles more than 1500 minerals.

Concerning Handling Internal Non-incorporated Xenos

- Hawk Lobby: The machine age Etheri in the Coreward sector and the Tycans in the Eastcore sector should be integrated directly and forcefully. We should not repeat the mistake of spending centuries of research and energy to uplift the "smugslugs"
- Dove Lobby: We should enlighten the Entheri. They will only take a fraction of the time that the Jogollwa's are and they will be integrated shortly after they achieve space faring status. The Tycans should be left alone.
- Albatross Alliance: We should infiltrate the Entheri homeworld and make them join us by... shall we say presenting the Aviarium as the best option they've got. The Tycan homeworld can be settled.

Concerning Alliances and Future Wars

- Hawk Lobby: It's hard to say, but we need to leave the Republican Force behind once we near our naval limit. The other members have fallen far behind in power, and with the threat of the Photecian Empire looming over us, we can't afford to have weak allies.

The Stellar League has three members, including two neighbours of the Photecians and our old friends the Bhenn'Thells, and we should seek admission into this alliance instead. In exchange, we should extend guarantees towards our old allies.
In the long term, we should face off with the Photecians in order to unlock the rest of the eastern arm. We should consider striking other weak targets before then and do everything to empower ourselves for this confrontation.

- Dove Lobby: What is this nonsense about leaving our allies in the dust now that we don't need them anymore? We should focus on helping our allies to finally vanquish the Othari Coalition and Drull'Perfen Kingdoms before they add even more scattered allies than they already have.

Albatross Alliance: The Confederacy of Guma to our northwest remains isolated diplomatically. We should strike at it and carve out a vassal of these stagnant, xenophopic plutocrats. As for allies, we should follow the plan to try and enter the Stellar league once our fleet nears its maximum capacity, but in the long term we should only accept vassal states to serve us, not fallible allies who demand ourtrageous boons for minor contributions.

Elections:

Three parties (The Hawk Lobby, the Dove Lobby and the Albatross Alliance) stand for election, and the question of Xeno leadership is up in the air:

Election bill:

Party Choice

First choice:
Second Choice:

Permit xeno leadership (yes/no):

Last edited:
Extras:

- Ury, initially colonized by an xenophile ethics offshot group of Bird People, is now a mixture of xenophile Bird People and Othari basically making each another happy with the presence of the other (charisma of Bird People doesn't hurt)

Yke3bgs.jpg

- New ships!

a1KA5gR.jpg

I figured it made sense. The Large Plasma Accelerator has almost the same range as the medium missiles and armor penetration sounds good for a ship made as a capital ship killer. The Hale class means that the Aviarium won't be completely ****** if they encounter an AI heavy on point defenses.

At the end of the session, progress had been made into crystal-based plating which may help to increase the durability, but for now these ships helped break the complete dependency on missile weaponry.

- The enlightenment of the Jogollwa is proceeding at a... leisurely pace. They've grasped the idea of the wheel, but the inner working of reverse-field plasma rifles remain a bit elusive. Give it another 30-40 years.

uAjh43H.jpg

I rarely comment on party politics, but this is stupid. Now I know how Wiz felt...

There's a problem: I colonized a planet in the same system. Does anyone know if the sector will keep enlightening them if I hand it over to them?

Last edited:
Post chapter 4 thoughts as author:

- Sorry about the extreme size of the chapter. I essentially uncovered 50+ years worth of anomalies in 15 because of the huge open galaxy arm and having three science vessels active. Many were new so I didn't want to leave them out (I left out like 3-4 duplicates and a couple I found dull!). I should follow my gut feeling more, as it felt as if I should stop in 2275 while I was playing).
- I didn't have to complete rewarp the Sparrow Lobby into the Albatross Alliance, but it felt as if it was hard to keep maintaining as interesting as the 'middle option'. At the same time I wanted a party more oriented towards sectors and self-reliance while knowing that it's hard presenting three parties with viable, interesting choices as it is, let alone 4! For that reason I decided to take a risk and try forming a new one. Of course the RNG gods may just make advancing robot tech impossible because I won't draw the right cards even if people vote the Albatross Alliance into power.
- The general overview seems pretty limited. I want to make the parties stand out more through how they want to handle specific situation instead. There are certain policies that would just be dumb for any parties regardless (such as banning free migration for non-primary species).

Last edited:
First Choice : Hawk
Second Choice : Dove

Xeno Leadership : No

Time to affirm ourselves as the dominant power we are. A strong push for space infrastructure should bring the colonies in line with the core worlds eventually. Also I'm scared about our fleet now that everybody's boxed in.

I like the new Albatross, even though I'm not voting for them. I feel like they fit better than the old Spiritualist Sparrows, especially in mid-game where we have to make the choice of how we're going to handle all the inevitable non-core populations. Will you be genemodding people to fit our 60% hability worlds ?

PS : I do feel for you on the Bronze Age uplifting, I was hoping the hawks might temper that but the doves just won outright.

Last edited:
First Choice : Hawk
Second Choice : Dove

Xeno Leadership : No

Time to affirm ourselves as the dominant power we are. A strong push for space infrastructure should bring the colonies in line with the core worlds eventually. Also I'm scared about our fleet now that everybody's boxed in.

I like the new Albatross, even though I'm not voting for them. I feel like they fit better than the old Spiritualist Sparrows, especially in mid-game where we have to make the choice of how we're going to handle all the inevitable non-core populations. Will you be genemodding people to fit our 60% hability worlds ?

PS : I do feel for you on the Bronze Age uplifting, I was hoping the hawks might temper that but the doves just won outright.

Sorry, I forgot your other question:

I was playing with the beta patch. Really wanted some of the fixes!

I don't really see a need to modify pops. 60% isn't that far from where they'll be naturally anyway and with tech it'll be 65-70% at some point. With the other xeno species able to fill the other world types, I don't see a reason to use it at all (for the main planet types). The Hawk Lobby and people voting against xeno leadership will mean that Bird People remain the leaders of the Aviarium, but client species will still be spread far and wide!

It's referring to modifying leaders and uplifting pre-sentients (both the dove and hawk lobby would support the latter, though).

That's not to say that the Albatross Alliance wouldn't be more permissive of allowing Bird People to modify themselves to handle tomb planets, though (if the Aviarium doesn't have droids at that point)! We'll cross that bridge when it actually becomes possible.

Do not that the Aviarium doesn't even have the technology yet :-l.

Last edited: