The Aviarium Continuum: The Greater Flight of the Bird People - A Mildly Interactive/Democratic AAR

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The vote closes! This is one of the most divisive in Bird Person history with the explosive entry of the Sparrow Lobby!

y6M0ai8.png

This thing is awesome

The Dove Lobby secures 120 mandates with 40% of the vote.
The Sparrow Lobby, new to the Murmuration, still manages to secure 100 mandates with 33% of the vote.
The Hawk Lobby is at its smallest historically with just 80 mandates with 27% of the vote!

No party is able to form a unitary government and it becomes clear that the Sparrow lobby is in a position to be kingmaker with the formation of either a Blue-Black coalition or a Black-Red. More on the government formation later.

Regarding FTL, The Aviarium Continuum has opted not to fly freely through space at ludicrous speed or punch holes through spacetime, rather it will take the highway to the hyperlanes with The Hyperdrive:

Warp: 4 (27%)
Wormhole: 5 (33%)
Hyperdrive: 6 (40%)

I'll post a Chapter 0 to cover the species generation and government formation, then the first proper chapter with the new government.

Last edited:
Subbed

Don't be narrow, vote Sparrow.

song_sparrow-from-pet-care-tips.jpg

Or, 2nd preference, Hawk.

Warp: [ ]
Wormhole: [x]
Hyperdrive: [ ]

I'm kind of disappointing nobody else figured out slogans like "Show the xenos some love, vote Dove!" or "Protect the flock, vote Hawk!"

Imaginary "helpful" vote to you though, damn the forum for banning votes!

Going for the colonisation parties, even if they stand on opposite ends of the political spectrum. For FTL, well I voted for Hawk first so I'll trust them :p

Party Choice:

First choice: Hawk
Second Choice: Sparrow

FTL choice (mark one choice with X):

Warp: [X]
Wormhole: [ ]

Trusting any politicians is a dangerous game, friend.

I've done my best to try and balance the parties and make them playable, which also limited me to three, maybe four. In the future I'll probably try to have more political fragmentation, but right now the Bird People can only realistically cover so many political views.

Well, as I've learned from my own times playing, you cannot show weakness, or you will be stepped upon.

Party Choice:

First choice: Hawk

Warp: [ ]
Hyperdrive: [X]

True, but too much power play and the space amoebas might shoot my early fleet down or I might end up striking an advanced AI and starting a disastrous First Contact War.

Did I mention that I'm running Ironman?

Bird People is probably the only sentient race in the galaxy. At this early stage, there is really no need for a strong military power.

Party Choice:

First choice: Dove

Warp: [x]

Yeah. xenos. What bullocks ;)

Welcome aboard!

Everyone else: Thank you for voting!

--------------------

While it would be interesting to roleplay how the parties might continue the fight for government formation after the election, I think that it is in the best interests of the AAR that there should be a transparent system.

The system I've thought up for government formation to try and be both fair and straightforward works like this:

m4ZNjXY.png

This has two consequences:

- There is no such thing as a "minority government".
- Coalitions may break off if one of the parties can gain a unitary majority. I find this most realistic, why share power when you can chose not to?
- The secondary votes matter a lot and that is what they are there for. Winning the most votes =! winning unless it's 50%+ or 45+% with a 5% lead.
- With three or four parties, it will be rare that we would ever need a re-election, but I really don't mind postponing the results for another 24-48 hours to ensure a fair result.
javascript:void(null);
--------------------

Chapter 0: Introduction (Under the Sun so Red)

Quote for the update:
"Wasn't the one who delivered your beloved nation into my hands your own ruler, chosen by the free will of the people of the alliance?
Democratic rule is a body chosen by its citizens in free will, which subsumes the power of and spirit of self."

"If you could pardon my rudeness, your Excellency, your words are as if the value of fire should be denied, simply because arson exists."

"Hmm... That may be true, but wouldn't you say the same applies to dictatorship? You cannot deny the efficiency of strong leadership simply because tyrants do exist."

"I can."

"How?"

"The rights to violate the rights of the people belongs with the people... In other words, when the people gave the power to Rudolf von Goldenbaum, or to an incomparably smaller man like Job Trunith, the responsibility belongs to the people. It belongs to no-one else.

That’s the important point. The sin of dictatorship is that the people can push off the failures of government onto one man. Compared to that cardinal sin, the accomplishments of a hundred wise rulers seem small."

- Yang Wen-li and Reinhard von Lohengramm, Legend of Galactic Heroes.

I never even watched much of the show, but this exchange stuck with me.

Fallout of the 2200 elections and government formation

Despite being the largest party in the Murmuration, the Dove lobby did not gain enough votes to gain an automatic majority of seats, and while their voters were strongly in support of coalition with the Sparrow Lobby (66%), they did not find the love returned (40% support from Sparrow Lobby).

Meanwhile, with universal of support of coalition with the Sparrow Lobby from the Hawk Lobby (100%) and strong support of coalition with the Hawk Lobby from the Sparrow Lobby (60%), a coalition of the two minority parties were in effect:

The government formed from the 2200 was a Black-Red "Sparrowhawk" Coalition. With the Sparrow as the majority party, the government policies were mainly derived from their policies, but as a minority party the Hawk Lobby was able to negotiate compromises:

- Full Orbital Bombardment will be permitted, allowing faster conquest but resulting in more civilian losses and infrastructure damage of potential future colonies.
- Free Migration of any possible xenos is permitted, should any such exist (doubtful!).

Hyperdrives gained a plurality of votes (40%) and would therefore form the basis of the prototype FTL engine!

(One sparrow lobbyist voting for the dove lobby instead and we'd have a blue-black coalition, one more dove vote and they'd gain the 45+%+5% lead to form a unitary government)

Architecture of the Aviarium

With the appearance already settled, it was time to play with demonyms.

ukiW0GR.jpg

I'm starting to suspect using the 'X Person' format might look at bit odd in some future events :confused:.

When it came to the name lists, only one could possibly exemplify the glory that is the Aviarium. IBP stands for Interstellar Bird of Prey.

sJahjMc.jpg

Not revealed so much here, but some of the ship names in this name list are... creative.

Pop growth will be slow. The selection of traits were not based on playing optimally!

yMgo88g.jpg

Our mighty Consul Claws of Purple will be out most illustrious leader for the first years! She's as lovely as her beak is sharp. There is absolutely no localization that I can tell to know if future leaders are male or female, so that will be fun. :D

QLYSdbQ.jpg

Aaah, Aetheria. Not much of that green chaotic mess or rampant moisture, that gets in between the feathers, here!

sY2rN5L.jpg

I went with the standard Avian city design. I sort of liked the reptilian one, but decided against it.

ZlF6Eiq.jpg

Ethics and government. Nothing new to see here, but it's nice to see fleshed out!

B8rQb0n.jpg

Individualism gives us the very spiffy art-deco architecture in the background.

Aviarium is already a sort of propped-up adjective, so this works!

8aFblou.jpg

I think?

You've already seen the flag design in the previous images because I went through all of it before I thought to take screenshots. I really like this emblem for being imposing without being 100% militaristic (no weapons and such). Oh, and of course we're purple.

lWqjG4K.jpg

Was there ever any doubt?

The Bird People found a new way to use the nuclear missiles that threatened to destroy their homeworld: Against everyone else!

LdQf4m4.jpg

FTL chosen by the force of democracy.

a26GdGw.jpg

Highway to the hyyyyyyperlaaaaaanes

Standard Avian space ship design. They're my favourites along with the streamlined molluscoid and the brutalist mammalian.

yCiQ5zP.jpg

Before we end the introduction, let's take a quick look at the Imun system.

VQOTT12.jpg

Took the latter image before I shut off VIR. Let me make my own stupid mistakes!

Ah, that's a class K star. An orange dwarf (edited from red dwarf, was mistaken). That's a bit weird, wouldn't Aetheria be tidally locked when it's so cl--

Md3LrLI.jpg

Aetheria is a moon circling the gas giant Fyyrt! It's day/night cycle is caused by orbiting its planet, which shields it from Imun's light during night!

This is one way that class K planets are thought to be habitable, if a planet is too close, since such stars could tidally lock planets in close orbit (so they always face the way way towards the star, as the moon does Earth), though this is more pronounced in M-type stars.

Oh well, geek mode off, let's take a quick peek at our neighborhood!

ml8xcze.jpg

So pretty...

I'll play the first proper session today and try to have the chapter out today, too. It may first be up tomorrow though.

Did I mention that I haven't played this game at all yet? This should be interesting.

Images are at 90% JPEG quality, is this alright? Trying to make the page load manageable for everyone.

Last edited:
Glory to Claws of Purple! She will lead us out of the nest and into the stars!

Enlist in the space wing t! Service garuntees citizenship!.

Praise be to Claws of Purple! Under her wings, the Bird People shall soar among the stars!

Do YOU want to soar among the stars? Do YOU think you have what it takes to help establish the future of all of Aviarium?

Enlist today in the Space Wings! See Deaghaigh today in {insert capital city name} to see if you have what it takes!

Nice empire setup. It would seem you are almost on top of what will become a strategic hyperlane chokepoint.

Make sure you expand quickly. Spiral galaxies tend to box you in if you don't colonise quickly enough.

Glory to Claws of Purple! She will lead us out of the nest and into the stars!

Enlist in the space wing t! Service garuntees citizenship!.

Let's just say I was surprised at how the adventures outside the nest went! And I also love that name.

Praise be to Claws of Purple! Under her wings, the Bird People shall soar among the stars!

Do YOU want to soar among the stars? Do YOU think you have what it takes to help establish the future of all of Aviarium?

Enlist today in the Space Wings! See Deaghaigh today in {insert capital city name} to see if you have what it takes!

I almost feel bad for not really building up the fleet or military this entire game session. Every time I wanted to, there was just another thing that needed the minerals, including the mining stations to get more minerals!

The early game will be a little bit samey regardless of how its played, but from the start of chapter 2, major diplomatic choices will need to be made.

Nice empire setup. It would seem you are almost on top of what will become a strategic hyperlane chokepoint.

Not very strategic if my neighbors turn out to use warp or wormhole and just disregard them! :p

I propose our capitol is the City of Eyrie. The weather there is lovely.

Sure, let's go with that.

This is canon now.

Make sure you expand quickly. Spiral galaxies tend to box you in if you don't colonise quickly enough.

Added your quote while I was finishing the update. You are indeed right and colonization would take the prime focus, along with gaining more minerals, for the first 20 years. You can judge how I did after the second part which... will be up either today or tomorrow.

----------

The original plan was to make a single update covering the first electoral period with an update covering 20 years.

That plan faced off with reality and reality won. 20 years in one update is way too much in the first update, so this chapter will be split in two and the the next election will happen after the next part (since I actually played for 20 years)

----------

Quote of the update:

"Since, in the long run, every planetary civilization will be endangered by impacts from space, every surviving civilization is obliged to become spacefaring--not because of exploratory or romantic zeal, but for the most practical reason imaginable: staying alive... If our long-term survival is at stake, we have a basic responsibility to our species to venture to other worlds."

- Carl Sagan

Chapter 1 Part 1: 2200-2210 - Aetheria, Imun, and Beyond

The in-game Introduction fits fairly well with the established background story!

P0fcc3s.jpg

Consul Claws of Purple had the following traits:

- Deep connections (+1 monthly influence)
- Architectural Sense (-15% building cost) - not only was this extremely useful, but it's nice to know that she had a hobby before she got elected!

Her mandate was to build 4 orbital research stations within 5 years. Not that the Sparrowhawk coalition in the Murmuration minded her little pet project, but it seemed a little extreme considering it would cost approximately 130% of the income for same period.

Turning first the attention to the situation at home, one has to appreciate the amount of crops that the Bird People have managed to squeeze out of the arid planet.

yyjrQlt.jpg

Initial buildings focused on churning out more minerals, exploiting the resources of space isn't cheap! Policies were also quickly put in line with the established government policies except those that didn't exist yet (what xenos?).

First couple of researches. I'll show the entire list at the end of the second part of the chapter, so you can mock the terrible selection.

VBcBwVN.jpg

The proud science vessel IBP Wandering Eye quickly set about exploring the local system... A mission it swiftly abandoned when all illusions of being alone in the universe were shattered just three months after the new election.

9u3y1AN.jpg

But... we were supposed to explore the last frontier of space and find out after years of searching... Well, we greet you oh aliens who use rather... organic vessels?

Before research on these "alpha aliens" could even begin in earnest, they were gone, only to be followed by other visitors

JBwnPg8.jpg

The strange alpha aliens were soon revealed to be a sort of organic interstellar lifeform.

The Sparrowhawk coalition, of course, wanted to break them to see what was inside (the beta aliens "space cows" that were discovered later, too)

kfphboG.jpg

Once the danger of all the space flora and fauna paying a visit had passed, Wings of Cyan and his crew of the science vessel IBP Wandering Eye could finally discover the hidden wonders of the Avarium inside their own home solar system, the first of which: Traces of those who came before.

Bv67VXs.jpg

Once the Imun system had been surveyed, the following things had come to light:

- The two rocky planets in the system (1st planet Drakoo and Rickichi's Roost) and the multitude of moons in the system were of little interest beyond signs of the precursers.
- The remaining planets, all gas giants, were largely suppliers of energy.
- There were some asteroids worth mining for minerals.

... All in all, there was nothing new left to discover in the Imun system. Nothing Aetheria-shattering.

It was time to put the experimental hyperdrives to the test. A chart was made for IBP Wandering Eye to make the hyperjump to the nearby Nimbus system, which had multiple confirmed planets in the Goldilocks zone. Time to see the wondrous new world that awaited the Aviarium!

IN5xJMX.jpg

:eek:

It was quickly decided that the Nembus system wasn't a place worthy of further study for the next 20 years or so.

("Xeno-")Biologists throughout Aetheria were quite disappointing that the government were so fast to dismiss the alien life, but when they were told that if wanted to study the creatures up close, they could just do it themselves, they were quickly cooled down with promises of being allowed to probe any alien life that were found in less... tumultuous systems.

HVgG044.jpg

I usually show the effects of all options for events. When I don't it's because the other option is "nothing happens".

Turning away from Nembus, the science ship was sent to the Othaana system instead. Jokes aside, the Aviarium has not set out about this mission for no reason. Aetheria was stretched to her limit in terms of habitability, and despite their relative low growth rate, that limit seemed closer every day.

Besides, there's no logic to putting all your eggs in one basket.

o3JMeqK.jpg

Joyously, encircling the bright yellow G-class star Othaana, the first extraimmunal planet able to sustain civilized life was found.

axq9Fet.jpg

It's still weird to look at an Arid planet like this and go "Oh yeah, that's perfect!"

It would later be dubbed "Yellow Nest" for the light of its parent star. Research was already underway to build an arc ship and the necessary technology to accommodate hundreds of thousands, soon millions, of Bird People who would make a life for themselves upon the surface.

This would be the first new nest of the Bird People.

Or so the population of the Aviarium Continuum thought.

The Wandering Eye was tasked with surveying the other local systems as the Nest Builder construction ship did its best to keep up with new discoveries of interstellar resources.

5oT0vVw.jpg

I'm not sure this is the real Pollux star, in-game it's a regular M-class red dwarf. If it is, Earth may be close.

While the "action scientist" Wings of Cyan explored the universe, the Aviarium xenobiologists at home busied themselves with rebranding the Space Cows with a slightly more respectful name.

M5cTxGc.jpg

In the Iriani system, another... habitable world was found.

I mean, Aetheria has its rough patches. Well actually, it's all rough with a few non-rough patches, but even the most hardened Bird Person thought Iriani IIa (soon "Frontier Nest") was a little worse off for wear because of the high levels of UV radiation from its F-class star.

LSVfLKy.jpg

"It'll do nicely" - Aviarium Contiunuum's popular survivalist personality Beak Shrills

Strange mountains upon the surface of Iriani IIIa turned out to be... just mountains.

j32UDuK.jpg

Yanduz had a Tundra planet, which future technology might allow to be colonized, but right now the cold was just a bit too extreme for the Bird People and the airborne moss got *everywhere*.

Hopes weren't that high upon entering the gravity well of the Rastaban B-class star. The UV radiation from such a luminous star would tend to wipe the atmosphere of any planets in orbit, and if not, it would be high enough to damage the genetic material of any biological life.

However, in the orbit of that blue-purple ball of intense heat and radiation was a planet unlike any other. It had almost twice the circumference of Aetheria, yet with only a slight increase in gravity. Meanwhile, an extremely active magnetic field derived from its dense core, along with a thick ozone atmosphere kept the radiation at bay.

KsZPDt2.jpg

Despite fears that the high humidity and biological activity would be unable to support Bird People in any quantity, it soon because clear that almost a third of the ground surface was uncluttered enough that it would be fit for civilized life.

In time, the Yellow Nest would be colonized, but this would be the first new nest of the Bird people.

The magnetic field of what would become the "Purple Nest" was even strong enough that its moon had become habitable, albeit the surface was a cold, arctic landscape. Fittingly, it is likely that the giant moon functioned as a dynamo and was essential for the maintenance of the magnetic field.

On Rastaban IV, another "strange mountainscape" was found by Wings of Cyan. They turned out to be also mountains.

RwgPfpr.jpg

At this point, Wings of Cyan was forced to admit that he had only studied Geology at a short introductory class because he was enamored by another student who was all about the minerals.

In 2205, Claws of Purple secured her re-election despite failing to make "Space Science great again", seeing as how everyone kind of knew that building just two of the four orbital research platforms was quite well done.

Also, she had been Consul of a leadership that discovered life in space and colonizeable planets.

vGh3O7c.jpg

The ruling parties of the Murmuration would of course never use their influence to secure the re-election of the "neutral" Consul. (Some of the other guys are slavers though so *if* they had done, who cares?

... If you take look at that election screen, you may notice that i appears that Wings of Cyan was able to become a candidate, and that given his political views, it's probably best that he keeps doing what he's good at and stays out of politics :eek:.

In the Deres system, directly to the west (Yes, I know compass directions are nonsense descriptions in space, but it's better than left/right/up/down) another planet fit for civilized life was found. Though it was hard to be impressed by a planet after Purple Nest, this was the second candidate for a permanent planet that the central government would always keep control over.

yj4lG7c.jpg

The Deres system also had debris that turned out to be debris.

WKUoCxk.jpg

What the RNG giveth in planets, the RNG taketh away in events.

Further exploration to the west was hindered in two separate systems (Coggan, Fujeau) by an unknown alien species operating what appeared to be military stations. The Sparrowhawk coalition found itself conflicted by the perceived need to expand to all the new colonizeable planets and exploit the resources of all the surveyed systems, and the urgent feeling in inadequacy in not being able to match the military might of any encountered alien thus far.

In the end, the Sparrow league convinced to let the matter is extraterrestrial life rest until all known habitable worlds were reached. No sentient life thus far had been discovered, and if a fleet was built now, it would stunt the future growth of the Aviarium.

jfkdDKW.jpg

The reassurance partially worked because it was unilaterally decided that they would be smashed as soon as the Aviarium fleet was improved.

SkDVahw.jpg

The Mang system turned out to have vast deposits of minerals in its wide asteroid belt, albeit not within the reachable distance of the Aviarium at the time.

In 2207, the first ever Bird Person colony was founded on Rastaban II Tripitit Purple Nest (naming was a little wonky)

dQVrvS1.jpg

In the faraway Rabinoc system, a discovery that came closest thus far to finding real, sapient life was made.

g7oHfzj.jpg

It'll be a while before the system can be reached, least colonization is delayed... which isn't happening.

Rumors of space "piracy" came and went. The Murmuration was collectively skeptical that these young troublemakers were of any real threat.

yDeIW3B.jpg

The dismissal came up short, however, when the pirates seized upon the Rastaban system with the Purple nest colony, and only a scrambled defense with the few corvettes the Aviarium had, along with their new fusion missiles barely managed to hold the line alongside the mining station. Resources were immediately invested in rebuilding the Aviarium fleet that had been lost.

cvaVJeQ.jpg

Too close. Too %¤#% close.

Luckily, the public of the Aviarium never seemed to realize just how close the colony came to be under assault, and they were an easily distracted lot.

PEwBFD7.jpg

Propaganda broadcasts pushed Aetheria above 80% happiness so 10% bonus to everything. Neat.

In the first 10 years of extraaetherial adventures, multiple habitable worlds had been found and the Aviarium expanded rapidly.

LxSEsfu.jpg

While cracks in the Sparrowhawk coalition had begun to appear, as the Hawk Lobby began to worry that military fleet resources were being underfunded in lieu of colonization efforts to the three habitable worlds known, it was hard pressed to argue in favor of further militarization now that the "minor colonial insurrection" had been "utterly crushed" by the Aviarium fleet, and the greatest threats known were either seemingly docile space creatures or leftover mining systems.

Claws of Purple herself was able to secure another re-election

tfz5J5S.jpg

There was yet no true evidence of any sapient extraaetherial life, but some dubious signs of a "precurser" race. The Sparrowhawk coalition thus was able to continue for another 10 years...

End of Chapter 1, part 1/2.

Edit: extra image just 'cause. The Avian research station is pretty spiffy.

XNmYPpb.jpg

Claws, claws everywhere in the Avian designs.

Last edited:
Ten more years! Ten more years!

Claws of Purple, hero or the people! (It's hard to rhyme Purple)

A new life awaits on Purple Nest. Inquire today about relocation packages.

Ten more years! Ten more years!

Claws of Purple, hero or the people! (It's hard to rhyme Purple)

A new life awaits on Purple Nest. Inquire today about relocation packages.

Not it's... smurple!

Remember that the Consul is just there as window dressing, like presidents of nations such as Italy and Germany, real power rests with the legislature and head of government - which you guys decide!

She's some pretty talon-raising window dressing though, am i right?

WOW that is some horrible luck with the Anomalies!

Yeah, after the third time failing a 10-20% risk anomaly I was about to wonder if I should check for known bugs :confused:. It was just a... statistical anomaly though :cool:.

So was the Gaia world, so I'm not complaining.

Chapter 1 Part 2: 2210-2220 - First Contact(s)

First off: Space garbage!

pQLQSmM.jpg

Surveys on the stars along the southern fringe of the galaxy arm turned up multiple Tundra planets, and large amounts of resources, but right now the political agenda was to colonize the systems already within reach first, which would rationally limit the ability to project into those areas with frontier stations anytime soon.

Speaking of the colonization effort, the second Aviarium colony was established on the first habitable planet discovered, which had been momentarily been pushed back by the discovery of Purple Nest.

axq9Fet.jpg

The planet was not yet officially named Yellow Nest

In the eastern frontiers, in the Grekil system, Wandering Eye found another type of space station, but this one was unlike anything encountered before.

vaNf9ka.jpg

Answers were immediately sought. The system had a gas giant with no less than three moons, all habitable tundra worlds with vast science output - it was of vital strategic interest to the Aviarium Continuum for future colonization, once the necessary technology was unlocked.

CAwZrO4.jpg

All my feathers for the tech to colonize Tundra worlds. This is insane. o_O

It soon became apparent that the system belonged to another sentient race. At first relations were extremely tense and the hawk lobby argued for a first strike policy to secure the planet, yet the Sparrow Lobby official policy was against it... and that policy had left a mark in the fleet size to conduct such a task. Military force had not been a priority before resources could be gathered to support such, better to wait and make a tactical strike, argued the Sparrow Lobby.

Easing the tension somewhat was the fact that it soon became obvious that there was a certain... kinship between the Aviarium Continuum and this "Obevni United Constituencies".

TeYy5m8.jpg

I love the Blorg reference in the individualist-materialist reply.

This further enhanced the perception that civilized life needed a relatively docile home planet climate in order to evolve. These xenos certainly were civilized too, despite their alien fungi biology, recognizing the superiority of leaving governing to the military and elections to those who know the burden of serving the common good.

An embassy was of course established. The threat that they would become great rivals later, if they managed to colonize the three tundra planets in their domain, was not lost upon the government.

In the system of Xel Madak, directly to the west of Grekil, two things were discovered:

- Signs that the precursors were indeed real.
- A colonizeable planet that might put Grekil into the de-facto sphere of the Aviarium before the Obevnians could colonize it three times over.

O37rT5X.jpg

If an arid world can be beautiful, and I think that it can, this entire rock was.

A colony ship was already under construction, but a frontier outpost was ordered ahead of time. Suppressing the Obevnians from reaching that system ASAP was vital, friendly or not! Indeed, the frontier outpost functioned so well that the colony ship was directed to the lackluster strong-spirited planet Frontier Nest instead, so that some of the many mineral deposits in planets nearby may become accessible.

W6xdqX5.jpg

In the system of Calam, further evidence and knowledge of the precursors was found. It was something to investigate later.

BwriBhj.jpg

The Frontier station did well to push the Grekil in under Aviarium control. For now.

j8wtK8H.jpg

Meanwhile, the precursors in the Calam systems had left even more evidence behind. If there were 12 of them and no signs of them anywhere now, what in the world could manage to wipe them out?

tDtW3cr.jpg

And in Walmoro system, to the west of Pollux, the only interesting discovery was an ancient map.

M0DQw71.jpg

In the time it took to research this anomaly, every planet could have been mapped anyway. :rolleyes:

Despite still having never fulfilled her goal of three orbital research stations in a five-year term, Claws of Purple still managed to convince the citizens of the Aviarium that she was better than the slaver scum alternatives. (Even if they did win, not like the Murmuration would ever permit such a thing).

YnKkl0o.jpg

I really like this parliament photo they use. Nice touch. I need to try playing an oligarchy or autocracy to see if they use a table or throne instead!

All was not well in the new colonies however. Yellow Nest was plagued by seismic earthquakes that seemed random at first, but even geologists (actual geologists, not Mr. "I want to visit miss fellow student's cloaca so I sign up for classes I don't care about, oh and I also like Slaves" Wings of Cyan) could figure out why they happened. They didn't seem to be natural earthquakes due to tectonic movements for sure.

BYaWsoa.jpg

The Hawk Lobby argued for a first strike, but again the majority party Sparrow lobby won through to establish more peaceful relations unless conditions required otherwise.

y7mvbp0.jpg

It was a success. For now.

0mR3KBn.jpg

While exploration of the areas west of Pollux had not yet turned up new colonizeable Arid planets, an interesting discovery was made in the Ustir system.

sLnfydz.jpg

So cute. I just want to cuddle them and mess with their genes and...

The technology to uplift this species does not exist as of yet, but reaching that system may be a worthwhile future goal.

The Undeground Dwellers soon hit upon hard times, and the Aviarium had excess minerals so the Hawk lobby decided that the improved relations was worth it. As a minority partner, the Hawk Lobby was not amused.

UKXAcJz.jpg

In 2017, Xel Madak's frontier station was about to be replaced by the establishment of a new colony. Xel Madak IIa would later be dubbed "Beautiful Nest".

Mh5LOj7.jpg

In the nearby Sturli system, a new group of Interstellar beings were identified as crystalline entities.

H2MXp24.jpg

Did I mention the pulsar? There's a pulsar there.

They were added to the growing list of "Interstellar beings to destroy once we have large enough missiles".

... Wings of Cyan quickly ran away just before his ship was destroyed. The tendency to be blocked in by celestial wildlife is getting quite pronounced lately.

JyTJzNu.jpg

Soon, Deres III would be added to the growing list of colonized planets. Soon it would be rebranded "Cyan Nest". Not because it had anything cyan in particular, but Wings of Cyan wouldn't shut up about not having anything named after him otherwise.

PIaP3do.jpg

Conflict arose with the Underground Dwellers as they seemed to have no respect for the consequences of their actions above ground.

fku0yZz.jpg

The Aviarium had shown them nothing but a patient understanding of their ways, but this was pushing it!

The relations further worsened when asylum seekers from the Underground Dwellers Tendrakkians came to seek refuge. The Aviarium does not turn away those who would be willing to join it!

vgWxj7Y.jpg

The first Xeno civilians (some working to become citizen) of the Aviarium. They hated most things about the Bird People except their charm, but at least the Avians weren't trying to kill them.

The newly rebuilt, albeit still very modest, Aviarium fleet was put to a field test against some of the abandoned mining ships in the Coggan system

jajQQuq.jpg

To the surprise of most of the government, the old metal trash heaps were of actual value.

kr0xR1U.jpg

Politically, the increased number of planets had proved burdensome for the Murmuration and highest state apparatus to govern, and a self-governing sector including the Frontier Nest and Beautiful Nest was soon designated. It went through a number of different titles before settling on "Proxima Sector" lead by a Sector-General.

eDkkFM0.jpg

Appointment pending regeneration of influence after it was all lost while discovering that removing systems from sectors cost influence even before clicking "finished" :oops:

In the six last months of 2219, two new xeno factions were encountered. The first the Drull'Perfen Kingdom, directly to the east of the Ovbevni United Constituents. They had a strange sort of dictatorial autocracy, which forced the appearance of global happiness and fairness, while at its core against the very core of equality. At least their homeworld once again confirms suspicions that truly sapient creatures need a planet of a rather diffuse biome and tough climate in order to evolve, least they become engulfed by the chaos of violent flora and fauna.

CInMLgf.jpg

Then the "iota" aliens sending a singular vessel to the western system of Manboth near Deres.

cV5Mbrh.jpg

Space was becoming a busy place.

qwnGvOX.jpg

End of Chapter 1 Part 2.

----------

Aftermath of Chapter 1:

Status of the Aviarium Continuum

By the date 2220, the Aviarium boasts 5 colonies, the most wealthy of which is Purple Nest. Most colonies focus on food, but this is slowly shifting towards minerals.

sRnhEez.jpg

q2ALKgG.jpg

A frontier station is being built in the Rabinoc system, as there are no viable Arid worlds to colonize and current technology does not permit colonizing other planet types.

The Grekil system, containing 3 tundra planets and a vast amount of research, is under diplomatic border siege by the Obevni United Constituents (OUC from now on, damn), as they have managed to colonized a nearby system.

Evidence points to another space-faring empire to the Northwest. This puts pressure on the Aviarium to explore and secure the Southwest as well as to consider the possibility of making the jump to the neighboring galaxy arm from the Tem system to discover what lies beyond. The need for a secondary science ship is starting to become evident.

Lastly, Aetheria close up:

Q3J1nKn.jpg

Yes I know. I swapped the 1 food POP to the science tile ASAP.

Technology

Pictures say more than a thousand words. What do pictures of words say?

o1gA9JS.jpg

Note that the border expansion may delay the Grekil issue. May.

zj0VDWb.jpg

Holy long list, Aetherian Batman, that's the last time I'm doing that for a while.

Technology started out quite slow and only really breached 10+ in each category in the last 5 years.

Political development.

Pressure is mounting on the Sparrow Lobby as the Hawk lobby grows impatient with the slow expansion of the fleet and perceived softness of Sparrow foreign policy, while the Dove Lobby are making open offers to form a counter-coalition in the next election. It's clear that the current coalition cannot survive unless there is a pressure from constituents.

The prior four terms have been a test of the Sparrow Lobby's ability to govern the Aviarium Continuum and it is now time that they be judged for their performance, and if their future policies are the path forward.

Currently, the Aviarium military fleet only has 6 Corvettes and only one level 1 spaceport over Aetheria (a second one under construction over Purple Nest).

zgIKJhM.jpg

There is little debate that with the current political climate, as well as the annoying high prevalence of interstellar wildlife, a new and stronger fleets needs to be built, however disagreement exists as to how much this should affect other forms of expansion.

Politics on challenges faced - Campaign goals for the next terms

- The ownership of Grekil and the challenge imposed by the OUC:

Dove Lobby: The OUC have recently become willing to join with us in alliance. We should confirm this and make a migration agreement. We don't know the dangers the unknown species across the Galaxy hold, and we should make peace with those who think alike. To hold them off from our most legal claim on Grekil, we should put down a frontier station there to ward them off, while the population of the Proxima Sector grows to sustain our claim, and we can later colonize the tundra planets ourselves when the technology becomes available.
Sparrow Lobby: We overall agree with the Dove plan, but should Grekil fall into their hands, they stand to gain three of their own homeworld type planets. The only solution to this, should it happen, would be war before they grow beyond our means, and before they can contact other factions to turn against us.
Hawk Lobby: The Obevni are without a doubt the most respectable aliens in the galaxy we have yet encountered, and we do not believe that we shall encounter their like again. For this reason it is out belief that the only path forward is by adding their forces to ours - by claiming them as fellows under our united banner. We must conquer them, them conquer with them! Over the next few years our fleet and our military should grow to accomplish this task.

Other special goals

Sparrow Lobby:

- It is vital that we look to the Mass Extinction Events that we have had pinging on our map for a while. We should send a science ship with the sole task of investigating it further, though of course surveying systems on the way.

Hawk Lobby

- The Tendrakkians living underground within our legal territory. It is time that we assemble a ground force to secure them becoming proper civilians of the Aviarium Continuum. Some of them may even eventually serve to become citizens as many of the refugees have.

Dove Lobby:

- We should outfit an expedition not into the southwestern fringe, which we know the other parties support, to secure the pre-sentient mammals of Usir 1b for further study, but also send a science vessel across to the other galaxy arm across from Tem, as soon as the economy permits.

Afterword: What would have been different in the past 20 years with other parties?

I've mentioned this in a reply, but generally it's hard to have a start that is too divergent, because the early game seems to require minerals. Lots and lots of minerals. For that reason most resources had to be put into building mining stations and colony ships. I have made some extra effort into upgrading Aetheria than I would otherwise to represent the slightly Tall focus of the Sparrows, but otherwise I would have expanded much the same. With the Doves I may have picked more building upgrades, which would likely also have payed off, while with Hawks I would have grabbed even more minerals sooner.

As the game progresses, the diplomatic choices made matter much more, and the selection of parties will decide if wars are started and who our allies might be. Forming a federation, however, is unlikely.

There's a few points where I would have acted differently depending on the dominant party, though - this is if they were the majority party in a coalition too. Effects minority parties have are written after an election, such as the Aviarium permitting full bombardment and free elections because of the Hawk faction.

- With the Hawk Lobby: The Aviarium Continuum would have had a larger fleet and the first contact with the Obevni would have been a first contact war. It's uncertain if this would have been a victory, of course, and fewer colonies would likely have been settled as a result.
- The Hawk Lobby would simply have done a pre-emptive strike on the underground dwellers, or invaded them. The Dove Lobby would not have demanded an apology, but still accepted the refugees.
- The Aviarium would likely have been a bit more ahead in technology as research stations were put on hold compared to minerals until about 2215. I don't think is is necessarily a bad that it went the way it did in the short term, though.
- The only edicts I have used are "Society research grant" Giving 30% research to society but draining the others by 10%. This reflects the society focus of the Sparrows, and the refused to use "encourage free thought (+10% to each for global +15% ethos drift) reflects collectivism. Propaganda edict used on Aetheria because... This is a military republic and it sent all the population there above 80% happiness giving +10% to everything.

Another lesson was this: Future updates will be 10 years or 15 years at most. Covering 20 years at a time is impossible at this level of detail (which already skips a few parts) and it seems like a very time consuming task both to write and to read. I don't want to split up chapters like this if at all possible.

Future plans is to update once a week at least, but this week I would like to do one or two more chapters.

And no, don't worry, not every chapter won't have this sort of long of an aftermath report, I'm just discovering what works for this type of system and what does not

Now check the front page, new elections are called!

Last edited:
First Choice: Hawk
Second choice: Sparrow.

Also make sure and decommission any redundant Frontier posts.

First choice: Sparrow, Sparrow, SPARROW!
Second choice: Dove

aa-sparrows-with-babies.jpg

These weaselly Hawks need to learn their place! A new coalition will teach these narrowheaded Hawks to be more Sparrowheaded!