The Aquatics Species Pack and Free 3.2 "Herbert" Update will release November 22nd!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Improved Ship Browser​

Back in May, we talked about a Ship Browser Experiment, where roughly half of our players would be getting an improved ship browser, that allows viewing all of the ships in a shipset, and manipulating them so that they can be viewed from any angle.

We’re happy to announce that this experiment will be going out to all Stellaris PC players with the 3.2 “Herbert” update!

I have one immediate and subjective bit of feedback to this: I think that revealing endgame ship types (Titans, Colossi, Juggernauts and Star-Eaters) in the shipset selection menu on empire creation kind of hurts the sense of discovery and wonder, especially for new players. Encountering powerful endgame technologies for the first time is a big "woah" moment - I certainly have fond memories of it from when I was new to the game, although these ship types didn't exist yet back then. Showing them off right from the start just makes the game feel a bit smaller. This even extends to longtime players, because it takes a lot of playthroughs to see the endgame ships for every shipset. I think the fleet limits of these ships should be hidden from the Naval Capacity tooltip until they are unlocked for the same reason - keeping the shroud of secrecy and sense of awe when discovering new and unknown features.

• 2Like
Reactions:
So... will there be more ways to terraform, like discover more planetary features through planetary prospecting, and preferably being able to do so repeatedly rather than just once?

I always found it weird how we can do so much while terraforming, change the entire climate, even turn it into a literal paradise... but then can't even create more areas for farms or power plants.

Reactions:
Also, the Hydrocentric Ascension Perk is the only way to increase the size of the planet, doesn't it? Does the size increase persist even if it's terraformed to another planet type? Is there a limit to it? It would be kind of ridiculous if we could end up with size 60 Ocean worlds...

And while I do like the new content, it actually feels weird how much powerful it is at altering the environment than a perk literally called Mastery of Nature.

Last edited:
Reactions:
So... will there be more ways to terraform, like discover more planetary features through planetary prospecting, and preferably being able to do so repeatedly rather than just once?

I always found it weird how we can do so much while terraforming, change the entire climate, even turn it into a literal paradise... but then can't even create more areas for farms or power plants.
Doesn't look like it. I've seen mods do terraforming in multiple steps with events throughout...but it looks like this approach, based on a previous dev diary, is "Welp, the planet's suddenly the class you asked for years ago, but uh...want to decide how to use some leftover equipment?" It really continues the tradition of Stellaris avoiding having any meaningful midway decisions in its various processes to put in place in your empire.

Also, the Hydrocentric Ascension Perk is the only way to increase the size of the planet, doesn't it? Does the size increase persist even if it's terraformed to another planet type? Is there a limit to it? It would be kind of ridiculous if we could end up with size 60 Ocean worlds...

And while I do like the new content, it actually feels weird how much powerful it is at altering the environment than a perk literally called Mastery of Nature.
I saw it discussed elsewhere that the limit for planet size expansion is 3. I think that came from a stream of gameplay by the devs.
It's...a little disappointing, really.

I have one immediate and subjective bit of feedback to this: I think that revealing endgame ship types (Titans, Colossi, Juggernauts and Star-Eaters) in the shipset selection menu on empire creation kind of hurts the sense of discovery and wonder, especially for new players. Encountering powerful endgame technologies for the first time is a big "woah" moment - I certainly have fond memories of it from when I was new to the game, although these ship types didn't exist yet back then. Showing them off right from the start just makes the game feel a bit smaller. This even extends to longtime players, because it takes a lot of playthroughs to see the endgame ships for every shipset. I think the fleet limits of these ships should be hidden from the Naval Capacity tooltip until they are unlocked for the same reason - keeping the shroud of secrecy and sense of awe when discovering new and unknown features.
I really have to disagree here, because I select the ship type in large part based on things like battleships, and the existence of bigger ship types isn't exactly something that will ever be a secret, especially given colossi in particular are so important to strategy.
If you don't want to look at the bigger ship types then...don't, it's not like it puts everything up in your face at once.

Also, I must really balk at putting Pompous Purists upfront as a marketing point for this; it's just a worse Diplomatic Corps, and Diplomatic Corps was available for Xenophobes. It's yet another trash civic that'll only be picked for pure roleplay purposes, only to then let down whoever picks it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Are we going to get the patchnotes today?

I have a feeling that the “DD” today is going to be the Dev Q&A on Discord, and they’ll post the transcript tomorrow or something.
Maybe. But if it's like on other releases it will be today. At least i hope so :)

I am excited by these additions. Like many players I have several 'favorite' races I've been tinkering with for years now, developing backstories for them and customising for playstyle. My absolute favorite though has always felt a little off, I wasn't happy with their origin and the memorialist civic always felt like a stopgap until something more fitting came along.

On Monday I will be adding the Ocean Paradise origin, the Anglers civic and the Aquatic trait to this species of spiritualists, diplomats and terraformers as they seek to bring the bounty of Mother Sea to other worlds in defiance of nasty old Father Sky.

Also, I must really balk at putting Pompous Purists upfront as a marketing point for this; it's just a worse Diplomatic Corps, and Diplomatic Corps was available for Xenophobes. It's yet another trash civic that'll only be picked for pure roleplay purposes, only to then let down whoever picks it.

Anything that stops the AI spamming me with diplo requests that I'm not interested in is automatically S-tier in my book.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
The aquatic pack comes with the Herbert patch.

Not at all. In addition to writing the desert-world of Dune, one of Herbert's other series was the Destination: Void series, which included The Jesus Incident and The Lazarus Effect, in which a band of colonists are forced by an insane A.I. colony ship to survive on a world that is almost completely ocean, with no land that can be safely settled.

That's Herbert's "Anti-Dune" series, and it makes perfect sense for an aquatic patch to thus be named after Herbert.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Not at all. In addition to writing the desert-world of Dune, one of Herbert's other series was the Destination: Void series, which included The Jesus Incident and The Lazarus Effect, in which a band of colonists are forced by an insane A.I. colony ship to survive on a world that is completely ocean, with no land.

That's Herbert's "Anti-Dune" series, and it makes perfect sense for an aquatic patch to thus be named after Herbert.
Interesting. I'll have to read it. Thanks for the info.

• 3Like
Reactions: